PRC Political News & Discussions

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Tilak
BRFite

Post by Tilak »

Academics break the Great Firewall of China
July 3, 2006, 9:06 AM PDT
Computer experts from the University of Cambridge claim not only to have breached the Great Firewall of China, but have found a way to use the firewall to launch denial-of-service attacks against specific Internet Protocol addresses in the country.

The firewall, which uses routers supplied by Cisco, works in part by inspecting Web traffic for certain keywords that the Chinese government wishes to censor, including political ideologies and groups it finds unacceptable.

The Cambridge research group tested the firewall by firing data packets containing the word "Falun" at it, a reference to the Falun Gong religious group, which is banned in China.

The researchers found that it was possible to circumvent the Chinese intrusion detection systems by ignoring the forged transmission control protocol resets injected by the Chinese routers, which would normally force the endpoints to abandon the connection.

"The machines in China allow data packets in and out, but send a burst of resets to shut connections if they spot particular keywords," explained Richard Clayton of the University of Cambridge computer laboratory. "If you drop all the reset packets at both ends of the connection, which is relatively trivial to do, the Web page is transferred just fine."

Clayton added that this means the Chinese firewall can be used to launch denial-of-service attacks against specific IP addresses within China, including those of the Chinese government itself.

The IDS uses a stateless server, which examines each data packet both going in and out of the firewall individually, unrelated to any previous request. By forging the source address of a packet containing a "sensitive" keyword, people could trigger the firewall to block access between source and destination addresses for up to an hour at a time.

If an attacker had identified the machines used by regional government offices, they could block access to Windows Update, or prevent Chinese embassies abroad from accessing specific Chinese Web content.

"Due to the design of the firewall, a single packet addressed from a high party official could block their Web access," said Clayton.

Even though this technique would block communication between only two particular points on the Internet, the researchers calculated that a lone attacker using a single dial-up connection could still generate a "reasonably effective" denial-of-service attack. If an attacker generated 100 triggering packets per second, and each packet caused 20 minutes of disruption, 120,000 pairs of endpoints could be prevented from communicating at any one time.

Clayton, speaking at the Sixth Workshop on Privacy Enhancing Technologies in Cambridge last week, said that the researchers had reported their findings to the Chinese Computer Emergency Response Team.
SRay
BRFite -Trainee

China hires Net squad to sway opinion

Post by SRay »

http://www.asiamedia.ucla.edu/article.a ... ntid=24609
China has formed a special force of undercover online commentators to try to sway public opinion on controversial issues on the Internet, a newspaper said on Thursday... Their job was to defend the government when negative comments appeared on Internet bulletin boards [like BR??] and chatrooms, the weekly quoted local officials as saying. Suqian city’s propaganda department recruited the commentators from among government officials, the weekly said, adding that they must "understand (government) policies, be versed in (political) theories and be politically reliable". "They will guide public opinion as ordinary netizens. This is both important and effective," Ma Zhichun, one of the recruited commentators, was quoted as saying.
spread the word, spot the hired officials that will soon swarm BR.
vsudhir
BRF Oldie

Re: China hires Net squad to sway opinion

Post by vsudhir »

SRay wrote:http://www.asiamedia.ucla.edu/article.a ... ntid=24609
China has formed a special force of undercover online commentators to try to sway public opinion on controversial issues on the Internet, a newspaper said on Thursday... Their job was to defend the government when negative comments appeared on Internet bulletin boards [like BR??] and chatrooms, the weekly quoted local officials as saying. Suqian city’s propaganda department recruited the commentators from among government officials, the weekly said, adding that they must "understand (government) policies, be versed in (political) theories and be politically reliable". "They will guide public opinion as ordinary netizens. This is both important and effective," Ma Zhichun, one of the recruited commentators, was quoted as saying.
spread the word, spot the hired officials that will soon swarm BR.
*will* soon swarm BR? Excuse me, Earth calling....seems like apne chini bhai log have already infiltrated, sometimes. Can definitely think of a few chini jinn-goes who'd fit the bill.
JYang

Post by JYang »

Sorry to dissappoint you, but I troll because I love! To amuse myself that is. I could only wish that I was paid. But then I'm not sure I'd enjoy baiting you guys half as much knowing it was a job. :lol:

In any case, the article is referring to Chinese forums onlee. What would CCP care what some chest thumping yindoo has to say. They barely care what their own citizens have to say afterall!
bhavesh

Post by bhavesh »

SRay wrote:http://www.asiamedia.ucla.edu/article.a ... ntid=24609
China has formed a special force of undercover online commentators to try to sway public opinion on controversial issues...
whoever it is, its not jyang, if he is, he has failed miserably so far. he is too busy defending his hollow, corrupt, polluted country at every small occasion.

he desparately needs an er-nai, but alas they are either with rich chinese or with foreigners 8)

then again, i don't think chinese can ever assemble a "special force" to do anything, because most of these will be dong-bei guys who will end up swaying each other's opinions than to sway world opinion.

funniest part is, the guy who gives the most terror to mighty chinese communist machine is an ex military dong-bei guy Li Hongzhi.

... ok i can't type its too funny... my stomach is hurting..
Mary Andrews
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Mary Andrews »

Where and how can I apply for the job? Keen to get one. Need money...need money...
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

BR is always watched by a small army of these pests.
their existence was first pointed out by akumar in the eco
forum many moons back...when kevinC or zeuslin was present.
bhavesh

Post by bhavesh »

http://english.sina.com/p/1/2006/0615/80795.html

guys this is not for the faint of hearts,
china medicine has advanced far more
than i had expected,

we should be really tremblin'

:eek: :eek: (i wonder if dong-bei guy jyang got the same treatment) :eek: :eek:

need to check out the local joints in wu lu mu qui tomorrow
abhischekcc
BRF Oldie

Post by abhischekcc »

Considering the bile we Yindoos and them visiting Chingoes throw at each other, I suggest that the thread be named a more appropriate - India and China - No New Directions
Waylan
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Waylan »

bhavesh wrote:http://english.sina.com/p/1/2006/0615/80795.html

guys this is not for the faint of hearts,
china medicine has advanced far more
than i had expected,

we should be really tremblin'

:eek: :eek: (i wonder if dong-bei guy jyang got the same treatment) :eek: :eek:

need to check out the local joints in wu lu mu qui tomorrow
Well, hate to say this.
How many Yindoo live in wu lu mu qi? And how many of those are Yoga instructors? You stand out like a sore thumb.
One email attachment, a few phone calls later, the days of your moonshining here as a geopolitical, cultural comtemporary thinker could severly shortened by a pleasant surprise knock on your apartment door one summer midnight. Haha..just kidding.
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

From Xinhua's Indian franchise
Obesity worsens among Chinese men and youth
Beijing, Sept 23. (PTI): Amid unprecedented economic growth and modern lifestyles, one out of three men and one out of eight boys in Chinese urban areas are obese, a just-released survey on Chinese physical health has revealed.

The obesity rate and overweight rate of Chinese male adults are respectively 9.3 per cent and 33.2 per cent, up 1.7 per cent and 1.3 per cent respectively compared with 2000, the survey found.

The obesity rate tends to rise with age and those aged 40 to 44 have the highest rate of 11.7 per cent, it said.

The overweight rate among Chinese urban teenagers is 13.25 per cent for boys and 8.72 per cent for girls.

The survey, co-sponsored by ten organizations, including the State General Administration of Sport, the Ministry of Education and Ministry of Health and the second to be conducted nationwide, was carried out among 245,035 Chinese people aged three to 69 in 31 provinces, autonomous regions and municipalities.

Apart from obesity, Chinese students face other physical problems like short-sightedness and high blood pressure, and their stamina, speed, vital capacity and strength are decreasing, the survey found.

Director of the Sports, Health and Arts Department of the Ministry of Education, Yang Guiren attributed the deterioration to modern lifestyles, where urban dwellers prefer taking a lift to walking up the stairs, travel by car and do little physical labour.

However, the exam-oriented education system, in which students study for long hours and do little exercise, was also to blame.
Raju

Post by Raju »

Beijing secretly fires lasers to disable US satellites
By Francis Harris in Washington
(Filed: 26/09/2006)

link

China has secretly fired powerful laser weapons designed to disable American spy satellites by "blinding" their sensitive surveillance devices, it was reported yesterday.

How it works

The hitherto unreported attacks have been kept secret by the Bush administration for fear that it would damage attempts to co-opt China in diplomatic offensives against North Korea and Iran....
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Similar to the islamist leaders menagerie it is time to build an article on the main power brokers and red princes in the PRC establishment and their main generals, complete with photos, known bio, political views and edu & employment history.

That would be more valuable because right now other than 2-3 top leaders
like hu jintao we dont details on the movers and shakers in the PRC
policymaking establishment.

I think this should be collective effort and this thread can be used for posting such data. Pls be to-the-point and post relevant data only with links to more detailed info if available.

here's also a chance for you ever present 'drones' to show your impressive knowledge of the party scriptures and bio's
:twisted:
Laks
BRFite

Post by Laks »

Good idea. For starters the 'official' site has the basic info. Wikipedia has got some info as well.
http://www.chinatoday.com/org/cpc/

Members of Standing Committee of Political Bureau: Hu Jintao, Wu Bangguo, Wen Jiabao, Jia Qinglin, Zeng Qinghong, Huang Ju, Wu Guanzheng, Li Changchun, Luo Gan.

Members of Political Bureau: Wang Lequan, Wang Zhaoguo, Hui Liangyu, Liu Qi, Liu Yunshan, Li Changchun, Wu Yi, Wu Bangguo, Wu Guanzheng, Zhang Lichang, Zhang Dejiang, Chen Liangyu, Luo Gan, Zhou Yongkang, Hu Jintao, Yu Zhengsheng, He Guoqiang, Jia Qinglin, Guo Boxiong, Huang Ju, Cao Gangchuan, Zeng Qinghong, Zeng Peiyan, Wen Jiabao

Alternate Members of Political Bureau: Wang Gang

Members of the Secretariat of the Central Committee: Zeng Qinghong, Liu Yunshan, Zhou Yongkang, He Guoqiang, Wang Gang, Xu Caihou, He Yong

* Chairman of Central Military Commission: Hu Jintao ( Hu Jintao succeeded Jiang Zemin on Sep. 19, 2004 at the fourth plenum of 16th Central Committee of the Communist Party of China; The Central Military Commission of the People's Republic of China is the highest state military organ with the responsibility of commanding the entire armed forces in the country. Led by a chairman and consisting of vice chairmen and members, the Commission is elected for a term of five years and can stand for reelection.)
* Vice Chairmen of Central Military Commission: Guo Boxiong, Cao Gangchuan, Xu Caihou
* Members of Central Military Commission: Liang Guanglie, Li Jinai, Liao Xilong, Chen Bingde, Qiao Qingchen, Zhang Dingfa, Jing Zhiyuan

* Central Commission for Discipline Inspection of the CPC: Secretary: Wu Guanzheng; Deputy Secretaries: He Yong, Xia Zanzhong, Li zhilun, Zhang Shutian, Liu Xirong, Zhang Huixin, Liu Fengyan

# The Major Organizations Under Central Committee:

* International Liaison Department (Chief: Wang Jiarui)
* United Front Work Department (Chief: Liu Yandong) (website is in Chinese)
* Organization Department (Chief: He Guoqiang)
* Propaganda :P: Department (Chief: Liu Yunshan)
* Party Central Academy (President: Zeng Qinghong)

# Branches: Over 3.3 millions (grass-roots branches)
# Guiding Ideology: Marxism-Leninism and Mao Zedong Thought
# Publications:

* Renmin Ribao (People's Daily), the organ newspaper of the CPC Central Committee with circulation of 2.3 million (Dec. 1999 data) Editor in Chief: Mr. Wang Chen; Director: Mr. Xu Zhongtian.
* Qiu Shi (Seeking Truth), the CPC's theoretical publication. The theoretical magazine used to be named Hong Qi (Red Flag).

# Motto: Seeking Truth From the Facts :roll:
# Ultimate Goal: Establishment of a communist social system :rotfl:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communist_Party_of_China
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politburo_ ... y_of_China
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politburo_ ... y_of_China
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Mi ... y_of_China

This site looks good, has lots of bio on the 'VIPs'.
http://www.chinavitae.com/index.php
China Vitae is a resource of biographical information on more than 3000 Chinese leaders in government, politics, the military, education, business, and the media. State-of-the-art search tools facilitate research in depth, and a research library provides historical information on politics and government.

China Vitae also tracks the appearances and travel of up to 200 leading Chinese officials. Searchable information is available on the date and location of the activity, the officials in attendance, the topics raised, and the source of the data.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I suggest anyone who wants to contribute pick two names people/orgs
from above list as per their interest and get started on building bkground
info. Pls indicate your selection here to prevent overlaps.

I will pick the three members marked in bold below.

tier-1 (super ministers & PM?)
====
Hu Jintao,
Wu Bangguo,
Wen Jiabao,
Jia Qinglin,
Zeng Qinghong,
Huang Ju,
Wu Guanzheng,
Li Changchun,
Luo Gan.

ministers of state ?
Members of Political Bureau(tier-2): (includes tier-1 also, use delta)
======================
Wang Lequan,
Wang Zhaoguo,
Hui Liangyu,
Liu Qi,
Liu Yunshan,
Li Changchun
Wu Yi,
Wu Bangguo,
Wu Guanzheng,
Zhang Lichang,
Zhang Dejiang,
Chen Liangyu,
Luo Gan,
Zhou Yongkang,
Hu Jintao,
Yu Zhengsheng,
He Guoqiang,
Jia Qinglin,
Guo Boxiong,
Huang Ju,
Cao Gangchuan,
Zeng Qinghong,
Zeng Peiyan,
Wen Jiabao

Alternate Members of Political Bureau: Wang Gang

(senior IAS type babus or party seniors without ministerial charge?)

Members of the Secretariat of the Central Committee:
Zeng Qinghong,
Liu Yunshan,
Zhou Yongkang,
He Guoqiang,
Wang Gang,
Xu Caihou,
He Yong

The Central Military Commission of the People's Republic of China is the highest state military organ with the responsibility of commanding the entire armed forces in the country. Led by a chairman and consisting of vice chairmen and members, the Commission is elected for a term of five years and can stand for reelection.)

(are these people from PLA?)
* Vice Chairmen of Central Military Commission:
Guo Boxiong,
Cao Gangchuan,
Xu Caihou

(PLA or civilians?)

* Members of Central Military Commission:
Liang Guanglie,
Li Jinai,
Liao Xilong,
Chen Bingde,
Qiao Qingchen,
Zhang Dingfa,
Jing Zhiyuan

(sounds like their internal KGB to spy on disloyal elements)

* Central Commission for Discipline Inspection of the CPC: Secretary:
Wu Guanzheng;
Deputy Secretaries:
He Yong,
Xia Zanzhong,
Li zhilun,
Zhang Shutian,
Liu Xirong,
Zhang Huixin,
Liu Fengyan

# The Major Organizations Under Central Committee:

(what are the roles and history of these?)

* International Liaison Department (Chief: Wang Jiarui)
* United Front Work Department (Chief: Liu Yandong) (website is in Chinese)
* Organization Department (Chief: He Guoqiang)
* Propaganda Razz: Department (Chief: Liu Yunshan)
* Party Central Academy (President: Zeng Qinghong)
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the chinavitae is a good place to start. my first person appears to be assigned as minister in charge of african relations & strategy. checking his travels - its to places like gabon and madagascar....

gradually we will see patterns emerge if we look people's travel records also.

perhaps we will find a much deeper and wider strategy than it appears on surface. nobody I know really tracks which chinese minister is visiting mali or mauritania next week.

A check on who runs chinavitae would be useful too via unix tools.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

its registered in scottsdale arizona and the website says a HK co supplies all the raw input. I cant really understand what the revenue model of this website is and why they are taking so much pain. and a total bunch of americans listed as 'advisers'

best guess would be a band of american dalal's have tied up with HK and mainland based dalal's to hookup potential investors and black money operators with the high and mighty in PRC and offers this as a alumni book.

other option is a psyops play by the CCP to burnish their reputation and put the good work out about these highly qualified tsinghua people working hard for china's prosperity and honour!
Laks
BRFite

Post by Laks »

Indeed it is registered via proxydomain co. in AZ. I think your second guess sounds more plausibe, a psyops measure from CCP via some front co. in HK. The presence of some American and Brit names will lend it more credibility. The site itself says it draws info from official sources:
Drawing on official Chinese sources, Wen Wei Publishing Co. Ltd. Hong Kong provides the basic biographical information used in China Vitae. Wen Wei Publishing Co. Ltd. Hong Kong holds the copyright on this information. China Vitae formats and edits the information, creates the underlying database and holds the copyright on all China Vitae web pages.
another link via Beeb:

In addition to these sources, we should go after Tibetan, Uighur, Falun Gong and other dissent sites as well.
Johann
BRF Oldie

Post by Johann »

Singha wrote:I suggest anyone who wants to contribute pick two names people/orgs
from above list as per their interest and get started on building bkground
info. Pls indicate your selection here to prevent overlaps.

...The Central Military Commission of the People's Republic of China is the highest state military organ with the responsibility of commanding the entire armed forces in the country. Led by a chairman and consisting of vice chairmen and members, the Commission is elected for a term of five years and can stand for reelection.)

(are these people from PLA?)
* Vice Chairmen of Central Military Commission:
Guo Boxiong,
Cao Gangchuan,
Xu Caihou

(PLA or civilians?)

* Members of Central Military Commission:
Liang Guanglie,
Li Jinai,
Liao Xilong,
Chen Bingde,
Qiao Qingchen,
Zhang Dingfa,
Jing Zhiyuan
From my cheat sheet

CMC Chairman: Hu Jintao
CMC Vice-Chairman: General Guo Boxiong [‘Chief Warfighter’, Politburo, State Council]
CMC Vice-Chairman: General Cao Gangchuan [Minster for National Defence(defence diplomacy, PLA budgetary spending & planning), Politburo, State Council]
CMC Vice-Chairman: General Xu Caihou [CPC Secretariat]
General Liang Guanglie [Chief, General Staff Department]
General Li Jinai [Director, General Political Dept]
General Liao Xilong [Director, General Logistics Dept]
General Chen Bingde [Director General Armaments Dept, ex Nanjing MR commander]
General Qiao Qingchen [PLAAF Commander]
Admiral Zhang Dingfa [PLAN Commander]
General Jing Zhiyuan [2nd Artillery Corps (ie nuclear forces) Commander]

Also from my cheat sheet, dunno if this will show up properly

CCP Politburo Standing Committee
CCP Politburo -|- CCP Secretariat
|
CMC
CMC General Office
|
|
2nd Artillery-GAD-GPD–GSD – GLD-Academic inst
|
PLAAF--(7) Military Regions--PAP--PLAN
| / | |
(7) MRAFs Military Districts (3) Fleets

p.s. turned it in to a gif - anyone who would like to host it? BR temp file perhaps?

pps Will do the CPC International Liaison Dept. when I have a chance.
Raju

Post by Raju »

(senior IAS type babus or party seniors without ministerial charge?)

Members of the Secretariat of the Central Committee:
Zeng Qinghong,
Liu Yunshan,
Zhou Yongkang,
He Guoqiang,
Wang Gang,
Xu Caihou,
He Yong
I selected one random individual whose name made some sense to me. Seems like Shri He Yong is a MoS-level functionary incharge of foreign affairs and 'Internal Security' (IB-type) incharge. Initially trained as a Mechanical Engineer. I feel the Chicommies found him to be a good 'manager' of men and he was quickly assigned 'personnel & HRM' responsibilities.

But eversince 1987 it seems his name is synonymous with 'discipline' and 'supervision'. All in all he seems to be an 'Alpha drone'.

The Indian delegation was led by Shri Vijay Shanker, Director, CBI//puzzling fact is he is meeting someone of Director Rank.
Ashok
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Ashok »

GD, I think I will look for stuff concerning Liao Xilong (Logistics).

Singha: ..I suggest anyone who wants to contribute pick two names people/orgs from above list as per their interest and get started on building bkground info. Pls indicate your selection here to prevent overlaps...
vsudhir
BRF Oldie

Post by vsudhir »

China tried to lure Aussie weapon inventor
The Chinese military allegedly offered an Australian weapons inventor more than $134 million ($US100 million) to go to Beijing and work on one of the deadliest guns in the world, the Nine Network reports.

But Australian and US military forces are said to be determined to ensure the gun, known as Metal Storm and developed in Brisbane, does not end up in enemy hands.

Despite growing trade relations between China and the West, the US still regards the Asian power as an enemy.

Listed on the Australian Stock Exchange, the company Metal Storm Ltd makes a new type of gun which can fire more than a million bullets a minute and can be remotely operated. The only moving parts are the bullets leaving the gun.

The Nine Network says Chinese officials have made several attempts to secure the weapon
from the Brisbane company.
Ashok
BRFite -Trainee

Gen. Liao Xilong

Post by Ashok »

A cursory search on General Liao Xilong seems to indicate that this is a person who might well rise even further.

In brief: Has risen through the ranks; native of Guizhou province, born in a poor peasant family.
He has been one of Hu Jintao's close supporters in the Central Military Commission. He is currently the Director of the General Logistics Dept., before which he has been Deputy Commander of the Chengdu Military Region & the Commander of the 11th Group Army (not clear to me what the 11th group army does; it is the 13th GA that is based in Chengdu). Chengdu MR's responsibilities includes most of Tibet & perhaps primarily, the Indian border (from along the Arunachal border upto the Uttaranchal/ Himachal border, not including the Kashmir /Ladakh/ Aksai Chin frontier). Played an important part during the 1989 crackdown in Tibet when Hu was party secretary there. Decorated for his part in the war against Vietnam, where he apparently occupied Vietnamese posts/ territory. And in 1997, he headed the first high-level military delegation to Nepal. Sources include:1, 2 and 3.

This gentleman is one whom we should look out for. He is but 65 years old, has spent much of his career being responsible for Tibet & the Sino-Indian border, is now incharge of Logistics, has risen through the ranks & not just through Party connections. A formidable combination, at least on paper.
I will post more details/sources as & when time permits.
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

Ashok
BRFite -Trainee

Gen. Liao Xilong -2

Post by Ashok »

More on Liao Xilong.

1. From Civil-Military change in China: Elites, Institutes, and Ideas after the 16th Party Congress
(A Strategic Studies Institute monograph)

"CMC Member and Director of the General Logistics Department
Liao Xilong.

During the 16th Party Congress, General Liao Xilong was promoted from commander
of the Chengdu MR to CMC memberand director of the General Logistics Department.
Rising quickly through the ranks, Liao is said to have had the quickest path to
general of all of the current members of the CMC.
He has attended the PLA Military Academy, China's NationalDefense University,
and has done some part-time post-graduate studies with the Sociology Department
of Beijing University.
Liao was born in 1940. He joined the PLA in 1959 and the CCP in 1963. He spent
a little over the first decade of his career in rising from enlisted soldier to
company commander in the 49th Division of the Guizhou Provincial Military Command.
In 1971, he became deputy head of the operations and training branch in the HQ of
the 91st Regiment, 31st Division of the 11th Army, and then became the deputy head
of the Military Affairs section and Operations and Training Section in the HQ of the
31st Division. By 1978, he had risen to be deputy commander of the same regiment,
and in 1981, he was further promoted to commander of the regiment.
Liao is a combat veteran who gained fame in the Sino-Vietnam War of 1979.
According to Hong Kong news reports, he gained a reputation for command during his
efforts in the Basha mountain pass and in the capture and occupation of Fengtu.
He was commended by the CMC for his combat effectiveness and his ability to win
military victories with minimal casualties and using few resources.

In these experiences, he had an opportunity to gain appreciation for the critical
role logistics and support play in planning successful military campaigns.
As important, he experienced, first-hand, PLA weakness in this important aspect
of modern warfare.
In 1984, Liao was once again involved in combat with Vietnam, where he commanded
the 31st Division when it captured Zheyinshan on April 30, 1984. In the course of
this campaign, Liao again was praised for his effective use of forces and low
casualties. As a result, he was reportedly handpicked for promotion by then
chairman of the CMC Deng Xiaoping from division commander to deputy army commander
of the 11th Army. Six months later, Liao Xilong was promoted to commander of the
11th Army. At that time, Liao Xilong was 44 years old, the youngest army commander
in the entire PLA.

In 1985, he rose to become deputy commander of the Chengdu MR, a post he held for
the next ten years.after which he was promoted to the post of commander of the same
MR. He held this post until the 16th Party Congress. In his 17 years in the
headquarters of the Chengdu MR, Liao saw the PLA face challenges and adapt to change.
From this vantage point, he heard Deng announce that Peace and Development was the
new keynote of the times, witnessed dramatic downsizing and force restructuring in
1985 with a 1 million-man force reduction (followed by a later reduction of 500,000)
and a consolidation of Military Regions from eleven to seven. In 1989, it was troops
from his MR that enforced marital law in Tibet. Liao saw the PLA digest its lessons
from the 1991 Gulf War and worked to implement Jiang Zemin's Two Transformations
program of reform and modernization.

Little is known about his opinions of the United States. However, it should be noted
that during the period of tension that eventually led to the Chinese missile tests in
the Taiwan Straits in 1996, Liao was a voice of hawkish sentiments.
According to one Hong Kong report, When asked: If the United States gets involved
when the cross-strait situation becomes precarious, what changes will take place?

Liao responded without hesitation: Why should we be afraid of the United States?
Liao said: In the past the Japanese troops could be considered powerful, but they were defeated.
The Kuomintang troops could also be considered strong, but they were no match for the Communist troops.
The relative strength of the opposing sides cannot be judged solely by several planes or a specific weapon;
the people's will plays a more important role. Sensible people should understand this.
"

2. From this cached source:
"PRC writings often assume a US-Japanese alliance, and some of them imply that the PRC expects to confront NATO. See Gen Liao Xilong, “PRC General Discusses Civilian Air Defense,â€
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

If an attacker had identified the machines used by regional government offices

that is key. the forged source address must still be legit and routable in the public internet. I suppose whois searches can approximately locate the china govt dept IP addr ranges...its likely to be a few big blocks subdivided among the panda's down the food chain.
williamahluwalia
BRFite -Trainee

Post by williamahluwalia »

vsudhir wrote:China tried to lure Aussie weapon inventor
The Chinese military allegedly offered an Australian weapons inventor more than $134 million ($US100 million) to go to Beijing and work on one of the deadliest guns in the world, the Nine Network reports.

But Australian and US military forces are said to be determined to ensure the gun, known as Metal Storm and developed in Brisbane, does not end up in enemy hands.

Despite growing trade relations between China and the West, the US still regards the Asian power as an enemy.

Listed on the Australian Stock Exchange, the company Metal Storm Ltd makes a new type of gun which can fire more than a million bullets a minute and can be remotely operated. The only moving parts are the bullets leaving the gun.

The Nine Network says Chinese officials have made several attempts to secure the weapon
from the Brisbane company.
i wonder who the people are that own the patent. Dr ..... (see at the end of the website)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Storm
Anoop
BRFite

Post by Anoop »

Hu moves to exert control over PLA

[quote]While Hu, who only became CMC chairman less than two years ago, has failed to establish close personal ties with the top brass, he is hoping to impress officers with his no-nonsense style. As the CMC chairman stated while touring Xinjiang earlier this month, all officers and enlisted personnel “must solidly implement [the leadership’s] demand for running the army in a strict and disciplined mannerâ€
Rupak
Webmaster BR

Post by Rupak »

I am just in the process of reading Mao's new biography by Jung Chang, recently published in paperback in India (Rs 575). The book provides a great insight in the origins of PRC thuggishness and has some interesting insights into Mao's ideology and outlook.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

One of the most controversial dramatic films produced in China during the cultural revolution, "Breaking" is about the struggle to ... all » Democratize education in the countryside. Made during Mao Tse Tung's infamous Cultural Revolution.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... revolution

A MUST SEE about the chinese revolution and mind of china
vsudhir
BRF Oldie

Post by vsudhir »

Acharya wrote:One of the most controversial dramatic films produced in China during the cultural revolution, "Breaking" is about the struggle to ... all » Democratize education in the countryside. Made during Mao Tse Tung's infamous Cultural Revolution.

A MUST SEE about the chinese revolution and mind of china
Tks Acharya.
Awesome set of finds there.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/commandingheigh ... index.html

WORLD HISTORY in the last 100 years
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

http://www.danwei.org/internet/cultural ... inders.php

Cultural Revolution reminders from Chinese bloggers
Posted by Jeremy Goldkorn, August 9, 2006 02:50 PM

Translated from yesterday's post on Wang Xiaofeng's blog:

Today

Today is August 8. For people superstitious about numbers, it's a lucky day.
But this day 40 years ago was the start of a disaster.
The Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution formally started on this day.
And lasted until October of 1976.

I must write something on this day.
I know many readers of my blog
Don't know anything about that time.
To such people, I say
If you do not know anything about the events 40 years ago
What use is it to know history from 400 or 4,000 years ago?

If you have the patience, listen to this whole recording.

Wang has posted an audio file of the August 1966 radio announcement about the start of the Cultural Revolution together with the words above, you can listen to it from his blog post: Today.

You can see the same announcement on the front page of the People's Daily on Bingfeng's blog, Aug 8, 1966: 《The decision about the Cultural Revolution》issued by CCP.

There are more Cultural Revolution images at Ttcen.com. Morning Sun (blocked in China) is a superb resource of Cultural Revolution texts, photos, audio and video materials about the ten years of chaos.

http://www.morningsun.org/
About the Morning Sun Website
A range of techniques and perspectives are used in the Morning Sun website to reflect on the origins and history of the Cultural Revolution (c.1964-1976). We approach the period not from a simplistic linear perspective, but from a panoptic one, encompassing a broad overview while allowing the user to focus in on individual histories, narratives and events that reveal the complex contradictory forces that led to an era of unrivalled revolutionary fervor and political turmoil.

Morning Sun is a production of the Long Bow Group, Inc.
55 Newton St., Brookline, MA 02445

Major funding for the film, Morning Sun, was provided by
the National Endowment for the Humanities,
with additional funds from ITVS/Corporation for Public Broadcasting,
the George D. Smith Fund, NAATA, and the Massachusetts Foundation for the Humanities.

Morning Sun is a presentation of the Independent Television Service (ITVS)
and the National Asian American Telecommunications Association (NAATA),
with the participation of ARTE and the BBC.

Additional funding for portions of this website was provided by the Henry Luce Foundation. This site is part of a larger multimedia project being developed in collaboration with Indiana University's East Asian Studies Center and Digital Library Program.

The culture of the Cultural Revolution in many ways created a world unto itself. It was supposed to be a realm with a universal appeal, an idealized environment peopled by revolutionary heroes who always vanquished class enemies and reactionaries. It provided prescriptions for the present and models for the future. Suffused with the guiding brilliance of Mao Zedong Thought, it was a world in which the past was dispelled and an eternal revolutionary present was invoked.

As Chinese and western works—literature, films, art, songs and music—were withdrawn from public circulation from 1964 amidst increasingly vicious denunciations, the art and letters of revolutionary China achieved a greater prominence than ever. The heroes of these works, the language of heroism and past rebellion, the art work of workers, soldiers and peasants, as well as a plethora of Mao quotes set to music, revolutionary theater pieces (in particular the Revolutionary Model Beijing Operas whose creation was overseen by Jiang Qing, Mao’s wife), formed the particular cultural landscape of the new era.

While the range of artistic expression narrowed to a virtually impossible extent, the amount of cultural products was staggering. Everything was produced en masse, and the masses were encouraged to create their own works in line with the political directives of the day. It was agitprop culture, instant art, made for the moment and immediately expendable. Experimentation was kept to a minimum and the emulation of prescribed models was universal. Thus there were model Beijing theater pieces (yangban xi) that were then produced for the stage in local opera forms, paintings and posters were made, films were produced, songs created and literature written that seemed to be transplants of the rigorously produced models.

Because of the cultural purges, the dramatis personae of Chinese arts was also dramatically reduced to a few constantly recycled paragons. There was Lei Feng and Ouyang Hai, Wang Jie and Dong Cunrui, to name the most crucial quartet.

It was in the everyday and a myriad of ways in which people applied the teachings of Mao and put their own expression on things that also interests us here. The grand spectacle of revolution masked tens of millions of individual acts.
http://www.morningsun.org/stages/index.html
http://www.morningsun.org/smash/jq_films.html
Revolutionary Family

Directed by Shui Hua
Beijing Film Studio (1960)

Zhou Lian: Who are you looking for?
Xiao Lian: Elder Brother!
Liqun: Mom!
Zhou Lian: Tell me, where have you been?
Liqun: I went to the Soviet Union, mom, and participated in the International Youth Congress. Mom, the Soviet Union is wonderful! There the capitalists have been overthrown and the working class is in charge. There is no exploitation, and certainly no foreign policemen. Mom, one day things will be like that here too.
Zhou Lian: I'm afraid my hair will have turned grey by then.
Liqun: Have you heard what one man has said? "At the moment there are contradictions everywhere in China—contradictions between the workers and the capitalists, the peasants and landlords, the warlords are fighting with each other, and there are natural disasters every year, not to mention the burden of numerous and onerous taxes. There is dry firewood wherever you look in China. It may well burst into flame at any moment. And with that the climax of the revolution will be upon us." He's like someone standing on a mountain top who can see the first rays of the brilliant morning sun in the east.
Zhou Lian: Who is he?
Liqun: Comrade Mao Zedong. He's in the central soviet [in Jiangxi province].
brijlal

Post by brijlal »

remember, most of the current "baby boomers" in china
were born during cultural revolution, and they are the
ones really brainwashed
Vasu
BRFite

Post by Vasu »

Chinese troops shoot at Tibetans trying to cross into Nepal. The government said "it had no knowledge", but suddenly knew everything about it once a few western backpackers said they were eyewitnesses to the whole thing.

China calls Himalaya border shooting self-defence
Chinese troops fired on about 70 people near the country's mountain frontier with Nepal, and one of them died, Chinese state media said on Thursday, partly confirming earlier reports but defending the shooting.

The official Xinhua news agency said the people were attempting to cross illegally from Tibet into Nepal on Sept. 30 when a squad of Chinese border guards discovered them.

The troops tried to persuade the people to return home, but they "refused and attacked the soldiers", the report said.

One of the injured died later in hospital "due to oxygen shortage", the report said. Another was in hospital. Xinhua did not say whether the civilians carried guns or other weapons.

This first official Chinese confirmation of the border incident appeared hours after a Foreign Ministry spokesman said he could not verify foreign news reports of a border incident in the Himalayas.

"I've seen the reports about this, but I've no knowledge of the specific situation," ministry spokesman Liu Jianchao told a news conference in Beijing.

Three climbers from Britain and Australia told Reuters on Tuesday that on Sept. 30 they watched Chinese border guards aim their guns at a group of about 20 or 30 people as they prepared to cross an icy pass from Chinese territory into Nepal.

Overseas Tibetan refugee groups, as well as the London-based International Campaign for Tibet, said a young Tibetan nun was killed in the incident, and a young boy may also have died.

Hundreds of Tibetans cross the Himalayas to Nepal every year, many making their way to a northern town in India, where their exiled leader, the Dalai Lama, has been living since 1959 after an abortive uprising against Chinese rule.

Nepal is home to more than 20,000 Tibetan refugees, but recent arrivals have not been allowed to stay and have had to travel on to neighbouring India.

Communist troops entered Tibet in 1950 and overthrew the Buddhist administration. Since then, China has dealt harshly with Tibetans pressing for political and religious autonomy.
But its no big deal. India should start killing innocents and crushing dissent too, so we can be awarded the olympic games.
Babui
BRFite

Post by Babui »

Miss Tibet makes the Chinese mad !! :lol: And she is pretty damn good looking :P http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=1528292006
Very interesting how easily Tibetans are crossing over and the little gem in there about India being mad because a woman from a "Tibetan unit in the Indian army" wanted to participate in the beauty contest.
JYang

Post by JYang »

Babui wrote:Miss Tibet makes the Chinese mad !! :lol: And she is pretty damn good looking :P http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=1528292006
Very interesting how easily Tibetans are crossing over and the little gem in there about India being mad because a woman from a "Tibetan unit in the Indian army" wanted to participate in the beauty contest.
Are you kidding me?! :eek:

Most of the Miss Tibet contestants have been total mingers :((, the winners at best average.
brijlal

Post by brijlal »

JYang wrote:
Are you kidding me?!

Most of the Miss Tibet contestants have been total mingers :((, the winners at best average.
sour grapes....

she is better looking than 99% of the chinese women i have seen....
brijlal

Post by brijlal »

then again...

if jyang's north eastern chinese relatives like to shoot tibetan nuns in the back... how will they see beauty in tibet? jyang should go to tibet and serve under some lama for 20 yrs before posting here,

url