Agni-I/SR: Strategic Implications (Thread 1)

Sunil
BRFite

Re: Agni-I/SR: Strategic Implications (Thread 1)

Post by Sunil »

Congratulations to the teams involved in the effort. <p>Good Show chaps.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

The videp clip in the news shows a 2 stage missile - obviously shorter than the Agni we have seen in earlier tests.<p>Heh heh! 700 Km - that should shut a lot of people up. This one is a Pakistan special. Of course the RAPE spokesmen will say that they have no intention to do a tit for tat. That is not the point. It is the impact that this test has on the ordinary Paki - who has been accustomed to seeing India's every move matched by Pukistan.
Aditya Vikram
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Aditya Vikram »

Guys I just want to confirm are the pics shown in the media older tests or was of today's test.<p>I am asking this because of as a lay man I look at 4-5 beams which seperate the 2 stages of agni-II which is unique to it being there in this missile also which is a single stage missile.<p>Also with advances made in missile technology by us in the last 20 years i guess the 700 KM range can be achived in a slightly extended Prithvi
GGanesh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by GGanesh »

Shiv: Which video clip? Thanks
Vanahan
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Vanahan »

A short range version India's Agni missile is seen in a TV image during a test firing Friday, Jan. 25, 2002 off India's eastern coast. India successfully tested the new version of its nuclear-capable, intermediate range Agni missile _ the most powerful weapon in its arsenal _ on Friday, officials said. (AP Photo/State TV) TV OUT <p>Image<p>The Agni III missile looks like it is going to be the cornerstone of the ground-based Indian missile deployment against Pakistan. Given its estimated length of 8-9 m and dia of ~1 m, it can safely be assumed that this missile can be quite easily retro-fitted on existing Prithvi TEL platforms. The clean (no external fin or protrusion) configuration of the A-III represents a new milestone in Indian missiles, possibly signalling the first of a new generation. The cleaner look effectively means that the current missile is much more rugged, robust and efficient. Additionally, the clean config. should allow tubular launch capability giving it greater protection, enhanced mobility and longer shelf life. The lack of control surfaces gives an inking of improved confidence in propulsive systems associated with the Agni in terms of both control and vectoring capabilities. The "blunt" nosecone effectively signals an enhanced capability to strike at even shorter range targets from higher altitudes. The blunt re-entry body essentially creates a much stronger "bow" shockwave ahead which heats the airflow, rather than the body itself. Thus, the new nosecone looks like a suitable candidate for a ICBM shroud for a planar array of MIRVs. The shape coupled with carbon polymer based materials lends itself ideally for adaptation to a much greater range weapon. In fact, if I had just seen the picture of the Agni III w/o the caption, I would have guessed we are looking at a 17m long, 2m wide ICBM with MIRV capability.
Umrao
BRFite

Post by Umrao »

First Congrats to DRDO.
Second Arun_S is guru, his simulations are enough to cause plapitations in the hearts of RATS.<p>As per BBC this is a special delivery vehicle to reach Balouchi hide outs of TSP clown Jewels.<p>Great Show, squeeze em to ooze em out of POK.
Arjun Gupta
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Arjun Gupta »

Yo Vanahan did you write up that analysis or you snagged it off someplace else? Pretty damn technical stuff going on here ;) Yep if that picture is right it sure looks like some fins etc (the layman that I am) have been removed.
krsai
BRFite -Trainee

Post by krsai »

congrats! A3 - 700kms , I guess A4 might be the one for the north-east.<p>It also resembles brahmos!!<p>a nuke capable Brahmos with enhanced range. I guess it was in air, is it not???<p>'ll wait to hear.
Arjun Gupta
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Arjun Gupta »

The image looks substantially different from the image below. Both are posted at Yahoo's news site! What'sup? Diff. Angles?<p>Image
Vick
BRFite

Post by Vick »

Could this missle be the first in a new line of missles? Could this test launch be the coming out party for the future SLBM?<p>Well, anyways, here is an exerpt from Defense News:<p>Pradipto Bandyopadhyay, a Defence Ministry spokesman, told DefenseNews.com Jan. 25 the launch is part of an indigenous effort to develop and fine-tune various versions of the Agni missile. He said the government’s Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) also will conduct trials of other Agni variants in the future. Bandyopadhyay did not elaborate on the capabilities of these variants.</I
Vanahan
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Vanahan »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Arjun Gupta:
Yo Vanahan did you write up that analysis or you snagged it off someplace else? Pretty damn technical stuff going on here ;) Yep if that picture is right it sure looks like some fins etc (the layman that I am) have been removed.<hr></blockquote><p>Yup, those are my words. That's 2 years of aero eng. classes speaking. Of course, if only I hadn't dropped out ;) <p>It is indeed confusing with regards to the 2 pics. Either two different missiles were tested, or the 2nd pic is from old footage. The picture I posted definitely has a different nosecone compared to the A-II's. I give up.
Arjun Gupta
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Arjun Gupta »

Is the Army handing out file pictures to Reuters etc? The flight picture of the missile looks a bit different than the on ground pictures. But both have been posted on Yahoo's news site!<p>Check it out:<p> http://search.news.yahoo.com/search/news?p=missile&c=news_photos
Arjun Gupta
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Arjun Gupta »

Methinks Vanahan, you should go easy on the MIRV thingy ;) Let's not make wild claims. I think 3 ranges are enough for India - One to China, other to reach Pakistan, and third to reach Saudi Arabia... just in case it is needed to finish off the root ;)
Amitabh
BRFite

Post by Amitabh »

It seems to be the Agni II with the second stage removed (Agni II- ?).<p>It's interesting how no public source was able to conceive of, let alone predict, the development of this version.<p>Compare this missile with China's M-9.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

First of all congrats to Indian scientists and engineers who made this possible. Next to GOI for mustering the fortitude to carry out the test. Yes no message is ment but is defintely implied for neighboring terrorists. <p>The short range and solid fuel means that its quick reaction so none of the old comments about liquid fuel takes longer to load and hence the retaliatory strike would be late in coming (pun intended!) So puts it in par with the dragons gifts- M-11 and M-9. It means the deterrent is being confined to the Agni series of vehicles. And that P-I & II will become conventional eventually. And the 333rd Regt can be moved back and still provide the muscle for the posture.<p>One matter to be sorted out is the picture that vanahan has posted from AP. It does not look anything like the ones we are used to of the A series. If this is the real deal then a lot has changed in the missle stable. It also could be a precursor to underwater launched version. The finned RV would be challenging to launch in that mode. The AP picture implies a single stage with a payload section. If this is all solid fuel then it implies that a whole new navigation and control system is in place to achieve the various trajectories needed.
I would discount most of the pictures in the yahoo site for they carry the launch time as ~ 10:00 pm. Others report as 8:45 am. So kuch dal me kala hai.
All in all a good show and the start of something new.
member_3562
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_3562 »

Friends,<p>with Ahni-II or Agni-III whatever being tested, watch out for a tit for tat test coming out of TSP. I'm positive even if TSP doen't have anything, they'll test some crap for public consumption that they responded. But more importantly, I won't be surprised if TSP's frienes in the Pentagon/state dept tell them to test something so that the dork media (CNN/BBC/Fox) will sing their usual tunes: "south asia rivals test nuke-capabale missiles fuelling tensions'. We'll have Maleeha Lodhi and other TSP mouthpieces go on the dork media and abuse India and say the usual things: "TSP is a peaceful country, but after India tested, they were left with no choice but to also test". The same old story, the same old India-Pak hyphenation will repeat itself. Sorry to sound pessimistic BRites, but I don't believe this test has done anything to achieve India's objectives visa vi TSP.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

While I appreciate some members right to whine please confine them to the whine thread or open one! Thanks, ramana
krsai
BRFite -Trainee

Post by krsai »

lodhi ko chod do.. mr sastry, your story line and pessimisms are okay. Why the same hyphenation question does not come when we launched the GSLVs or insats. Why is the dorkness attribute only towards "strategic" interests???? <p>I disagree with you on the objectives.. please read clearly of our objectives. It is not any "country specific" hence, "your viz Tsp" is taking the discussion into an hypenation with undesirable dorkiness.
Bharat
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Bharat »

I have seen the TV clips.
It seems to be a single stage missile.
The normal second stage of the AGNI is missing.
It is the first stage+warhead.
The 700 kms is purely Pak centric.
Some analysts on TV said , I think Raj Chengappa that the Prithvi was too close to border for Indian comfort and the Agni had to go along the entire Arabian Sea Route to complete a 1000 kms to hit at Pakistan.
And this was developed for a direct trajectory hit at Pakistan.
The confusing part is that most channels seem keen on showing the first and second tests of Agni-2 clips and making a mess.
When the reports of a 700 kms range was mentioned along with last Jan test clips I thought that it was a failure but the clips of a single stage Agni makes it a possible 700 kms test fire success.
Most Analysts except for Ajai Shukla of NDTV are going overboard saying that it was a scientific progress and that it had no politicial overtones.

Post by Guest »

Here is a clearer photo<p>Image
Vanahan
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Vanahan »

The photos posed by Arjun Gupta and the Administrator are definitely of one and the same: a new Agni variant based on the first stage of A-II and its RV. This will make that missile nearly 15m (10m-stage + 4m-RV) long with a 1m diameter. <p>The first picture with the new RV( rounded shroud/nose) posted by myself is a mystery.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Bharat thanks for the info. It clarifies a lot of things. The experts are not wrong when they talk about scientific progress.
Off the top of my head the following achievements
- New blunt nose RV
- Single stage solid fuel vehicle needs to waste its energy to reach below max range locations. This means it has improved NG&C software and hardware. Also this puppy is defintely ship deployable right away after launch integration.
- Need to know if RV is pure ballistic or has error correction capability. If the former then the INS is very very good. If later then it could have mixed payload.
- Gives more opitons for the deplyment.
- Any idea who all attended the test- Dr. Atre, GF, ACM Krishnswamy and Lt Gen. Oberoi and Dr. R Agarwal.
Umrao
BRFite

Post by Umrao »

ramana >> "The finned RV would be challenging to launch in that mode. The AP picture implies a single stage with a payload section. If this is all solid fuel then it implies that a whole new navigation and control system is in place to
achieve the various trajectories needed."<p>1) I think DRDO must have mastered the explosive bolt type shield for the finned portion of the final stage which would separte after certain altitude.<p>2) It could be possible that fins get deployed out of the cylindrical section folded into recess space of the ouit shield (analogus to swing wing deployment on a/c).<p>3) As you said it could be possible with new navigational equipment they totally removed the fin based trajectory controls.<p>In any case great show.<p>We now await the Mushy speech about bangles.!!
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

RamSastry:<p>Let us comapare the benefits to India and Pakistan from the POK-II tests. When the tests were conducted, it looked like the whole world was coming down on us. Jesse Helms and his ilk (Praful Bidwai) etc. claiming India had shot itself in it's head. But looking at it now we did the right thing by destabilizing Pakistan partially and bringing the Jehadi skeletons out of their closet through Kargil. FOX/CNN/Maleela Malai don't matter. Talk is cheap. Actions speak louder than words. India has gained more respect by standing up.
Sarma
BRFite

Post by Sarma »

The blunt nosed image is being shown on the DDM CNN.com. It must be some US missile from their archives. I think the warhead specs, i.e. the nose structure, haven't changed at all (admins picture proves this).
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Yes the blunt nose one is a red herring. It might nt be Indian at all. However rest of my comment about accuracy etc still stand. Meanwhile Pioneer reports emphasis on accuracy and mobility.<p>Short range Agni tested
------------------
Short range Agni tested
Rahul Datta/New Delhi <p>India on Friday successfully test fired a short range Agni missile, capable of hitting a target 700 km away, off Balasore coast in Orissa. The launch was carried out purely for technical reasons and the international community including Pakistan were informed in advance. <p>The Agni missile solid propellant system, capable of carrying unconventional warhead including nuclear weapons of 1,000 Kg, is part of the indigenous Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme (IGMDP). The shorter range Agni was tested at about 8.50 am and Union Defence Minister George Fernandes, Air Chief Marshal S Krishnaswamy and Scientific Advisor to the Defence Minister Dr V K Atre witnessed the successful launch.
A TV image of the Agni missile which was test fired on Friday
<p>Explaining the implications of this test, sources said here the focus had shifted from having a longer range to accuracy. Therefore, the test was conducted for technical reasons. Incidentally, Pakistan is not expected to react as they have proven missile delivery systems Ghauri and Shaheen in place. Moreover, Pakistan has a solid propellant manufacturing unit set up with Chinese help.<p>Elaborating further on the technical reasons, the experts said Agni-I and Agni-II have strap down inertial navigation system, for enhancing accuracy. However, the best systems of this kind in the world are not accurate if asked to hit a target at 1,500 Km carrying a warhead. The Agni missiles are capable of hitting a target beyond 1,500 Km but this consideration weighed heavily upon the minds of the scientists. Hence, they went in for a test to have a more accurate missile system rather than longer range.<p>Secondly, the two stage liquid and solid propellant Agni-I is only road mobile. The armed forces found that the bridges in Punjab and Rajasthan could not bear the weight of these missiles.<p>In an effort to overcome this vital operational problem, the scientists decided to ferry the missiles on rails and reduce the weight the missile by cutting down the range and hence the propellant required to fire it, sources said. The Artillery now finds it easier to carry the missile from the last rail head to the operational area in a more smooth and fast manner, sources said.<p>They also said the international community was pressurizing India to refrain from testing any new types of missiles or enhance the present range so as not to alarm the neighbours.<p>The Integrated Guided Ballistic Missile Development Programme including Agni and Prithvi was started in 1983. The first flight test of Agni-I with a range of 1,500 Km and capable of carrying 1,000 Kg conventional warhead was conducted on May 22, 1989, while the third and last one was carried out on February 19, 1994. These tests, however, were termed as technology demonstrators.<p>The improved version, Agni-II intermediate ballistic missile got off the block with the first test on April 11, 1999 and the second one on January 17 last year. In fact, an External Affairs spokesperson clarified here on Friday the tests were not conducted on the intermediate or the longer range versions of the Agni missiles.<p>She said the timing of the launch was solely guided by technical considerations and there was no political significance or relationship with any event. "We do not view missile tests as sending a political message," she said.<p>The spokesperson said the heads of mission of the five permanent members of the UN Security Council comprising US, Russia, UK, China and France besides Germany, Japan and the current European Union president, Spain and Deputy High Commissioner of Pakistan were informed about the test.<p>India also said the test was undertaken in a "non-provocative manner" across the international waters in accordance with the fully established practices. The international community was informed that the missile launch was planned in advance and was not "abrupt or sudden".<p>It was a well thought out step in consonance with the country's security and defence posture including the doctrine of no-first-use. "The test was undertaken in a predictable and transparent manner," the spokesperson said.<p>Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee congratulated scientists and technicians on the successful launch of the Agni missile after he was informed telephonically by Mr Fernandes. Terming this test as part of "several steps" taken to bolster the security of the country, Mr Vajpayee said the development of the Agni missile system is an ongoing programme.<p>"For the nation's security and protection, we are taking several steps and Agni is one among them," the Prime Minister said here. He also said the decision to test Agni missile system in various configurations was taken earlier and was an ongoing and not a new project. The PM reiterated that the launch date of the missile system had been fixed earlier and all concerned organisations had been informed. The successful launch of the Agni missile would be a useful step in the security of the country as it comes on the heels of mid-week successful launch of third generation communication satellite INSAT-3C, he said.
kautilya
BRFite -Trainee

Post by kautilya »

Interesting quote from the pioneer news item posted by ramana
"They also said the international community was pressurizing India to refrain from testing any new types of missiles or enhance the present range so as not to alarm the neighbours"
Sarma
BRFite

Post by Sarma »

Ramana thanks for posting the article. Clarifies some important technical aspects. But one thing regarding accuracy at the expense of range really worries. <p> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>
Explaining the implications of this test, sources said here the focus had shifted from having a longer range to accuracy. Therefore, the test was conducted for technical reasons. <p>Elaborating further on the technical reasons, the experts said Agni-I and Agni-II have strap down inertial navigation system, for enhancing accuracy. However, the best systems of this kind in the world are not accurate if asked to hit a target at 1,500 Km carrying a warhead. The Agni missiles are capable of hitting a target beyond 1,500 Km but this consideration weighed heavily upon the minds of the scientists. Hence, they went in for a test to have a more accurate missile system rather than longer range.<hr></blockquote><p>The impression given in the above quotes is that longer range has been sacrificed for accuracy. This is really worrying because our main enemy is China and a <700km range missile would not even land in heartland Tibet. Will the scientists incorporate the new features for improving accuracy in the longer range missiles also? Previously also, many question have been raised about the guidance systems and accuracy of Indian missiles, considered to be quite rudimentary.
Umrao
BRFite

Post by Umrao »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by kautilaya:
Interesting quote from the pioneer news item posted by ramana
"They also said the international community was pressurizing India to refrain from testing any new types of missiles or enhance the present range so as not to alarm the neighbours"
<hr></blockquote><p>The ones refered above are the Chincoms.<p>Just you wait and see, once the Afghanistan part of GOAT is over, US will resume Nuke testing.<p>There after its free for all.<p>Just keep doing it and we want 8000 mile ICBM, that will foster even better understanding among the neighbors, distant Uncles and other near and dear relatives.<p>The best way to foster Intl understanding is thru ICBM period.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I read it differently. Since there seems to be some pressure about testing longer range systems they decided to to take care of a quick reaction, accurate short ramge vehicle. If they put same guidance package as that for the A-I and II on the short range one they should have a very accurate vehicle which is also quick reaction due to the solid fuel motor. <p>So the consensus is this (A-I/2) is A-II second stage with the RV? Or is there a new first stage. Could be a little mod due to structure but the core motor should be same as A-II second stage as Arun's calcs indicate.
krsai
BRFite -Trainee

Post by krsai »

Is it a good idea to project that these testings are just in development stages of the agni missiles and to operationalize them would take a long time. So, please keep quite "world" that
it means no message for anyone in the near future ;) <p>Probably not, since we want the pakis to expend on a missile test and lose its inventroy everytime we do a test. :p
===<p>Q: Any news on the accuracy obtained compared with agni 1 and 2s. Do they have the "40 meters" accuracy?
bala
BRFite

Post by bala »

Agni-3 is a good targetted weapon against TSP. India needs to conduct more tests with even more variations and configurations. Test ought to become routine and matter of fact, no more a novelty. World opinion can wait.<p>The same tired old phrases of regret are trotted out to the media by Britain, Germany and Australia. When will these countries learn that India is now an aspiring super power in a different class all by itself. Everyone who talks about TSP today has the attached phrase of combatting terrorism and containing the jehadis. That is what TSP is reduced to nowadays and let us not forget it is a basket case in terms of its economy. IOW there is no parity or hyphenated relation anymore vis-a-vis India, TSP. Australia needs to shut its trap and stop behaving like a colonist pig. This pipsqueak country has no locus standi to lecture India.
member_3826
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_3826 »

I came to know about this late :-(
Writing points I understood about this missle.
(Agni-I-, Agni-II-, Prithvi-III, Dhanush+ what is this missle called?)<p>- Short-range of 700 KM
- High Accuracy for the short-range
- Single stage solid fuel vehicle
- Improved blunt-nose RV
- Pakistan-specific to hit it from different
land areas in India.
- Can be fit for sea/under-water launches
- Carry heavier nuclear payloads.<p>Can I safely assume that Pak has no capability
to intercept it making it ultimate weapon
against Pak.
Vanahan
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Vanahan »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ramana:
So the consensus is this (A-I/2) is A-II second stage with the RV? Or is there a new first stage. Could be a little mod due to structure but the core motor should be same as A-II second stage as Arun's calcs indicate.<hr></blockquote><p>The so-called A-1/2 has A-II's first stage (not second) with the RV. Looks like the Pershing II of yesteryears doesn't it?<p>Something is not right. The max. range has to be over a 1000km.
Arjun Gupta
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Arjun Gupta »

Well from what I have heard/read is as follows:<p>The story floating around is that because Paki Missiles or of them is the Chinese M9 or M11 (I forget which one the commentator said is it Shaheen?), it has been tested by the Chin'ks, and then TOI's article says that there is a story running around that Pakistan's nuclear weapons are more "deliverable."<p>So to bridge the gap between long range Agni and short range 300km Prithvi, India tested out this 700 km middle range that takes care of Pakistan and probably tested some kind of delivery system.<p>Plus if there are any new features I doubt India has any obligation to give away all in press releases to organizations like Reuters etc.
Umrao
BRFite

Post by Umrao »

IIRC new variant Agni III/ Agni IV were supposed to be all solid fuel, therefore I think the Agni tested is altogether new Motor, which could be fitted to the all solid fuel version of future long range agnis.<p>By the way how does L to D ratio work out for this Agni, is it closer to amma's stature?? (short stubby)
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I think it is A-II second stage with some fins added. The first stage has larger dia so integrating it with present RV should havve a conic section but not per picture.<p>Here is ReDiff's update: Short-range Agni to bring all of Pak within range<p>Good writing who is this reporter? Maybe Iype took a hike!
--------------------
TOI update article. Note Santhanam's comments on the launcher and the A-III status- 2003.<p>
India tests nuke capable Agni missile<p>They call it A-I variant. A-I was two stage- solid first stage and liquid second stage. This one looks like single stage. Is this by any chance the A-I F/S with stubby A-II S/S? Then what happened to the lattice structure for the interstage?
Sarma
BRFite

Post by Sarma »

I have a basic question about Indian missile testing. Whenever we test a missile we hear GoI mouthing platitudes like "we have informed all the major countries such as the P-5, Germany and so on." Does China or USA do the same thing, i.e., inform India when they test something? I never heard of China informing India of any of their impending tests. Why are we so defensive of our actions? If we want to test we should go ahead and do it. Why do we have to go around telling everybody?
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

bharat, <p>> The 700 kms is purely Pak centric.<p>a very interesting turn of phrase. I know of only set of people that have your choice in words.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

The Indian tests are over international waters and could impact aviation and shipping so they inform. China tests over land and so doesnt. In fact only news we hear about them is when US announces based on its monitoring.