Arjun – To be or not to be (?)

Rangudu
BRFite

Re: Arjun – To be or not to be (?)

Post by Rangudu »

Mike,

You raise some valid points.

Nitin,

You have cleared up some important aspects of the state of our armour.

Now, I have some questions vis a vis our match up before Arjun is deployed.

Right now:

1. How do our T-90s compare with their T-80UD (which are their best deployed). Besides wwe'll have 2 times the number of T-90s to their T-80s.

2. How do our T-72s match up with their T-85II-APs? One colleague of mine (US Army Retd) claims that T-72s cannot match up with the T-85IIs at all. Is that true? AFAIK - T-85s, NVD aren't any better than ours and how does it's FCS compare with the T-72s? I mean, before we fit the 300 or so with the Polish FCS.

3. How would you rate the Al-Khalid's?

4. Al Zarrar - T59's still exist on paper only, so I guess we'll not worry abt them too much.

5. ATGM - How do our MilanIIs compare with their TOWs, Cobras and Green Arrows? Is Baktar Sikan any good?

Now, if the T-85 vs. T-72 equation is cleared up, it seems to me that we have an upper hand in the armor match up. Why is everyone getting perturbed? What is all the fuss about?

Am I missing something here? :confused:
Michael
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Michael »

Originally posted by Shirish:
BR would be a hell of a lot more useful if we actually had some real Indian soldiers, sailors, and airmen taking part.
ha ha ha ha ha aah :confused:
amarnath
BRFite -Trainee

Post by amarnath »

Alright everybody
Thanx for all you have said about Indian Armour.....Now my question is where is Karna....Will t72 be upgraded to karna or is it a "NEW" tank as of such
davidn
BRFite -Trainee

Post by davidn »

Originally posted by Mike:
Originally posted by Shirish:
ha ha ha ha ha aah :confused:
yeah...ummm...shirish im no yank-lover, but what the hell are you talking about?
P Chupunkar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by P Chupunkar »

A side question, cant the arena protection system be applied to T-72's and even karan, arjun for that matter.
Is this being considered for either of these tanks?
Nandai
BRFite

Post by Nandai »

Originally posted by Rangudu:
Mike,
1. How do our T-90s compare with their T-80UD (which are their best deployed). Besides we'll have 2 times the number of T-90s to their T-80s.
Since when, 310 T-90s ordered from Russia, against some 320 T-80UDs ordered by pukistan from the Ukraine.
Shirish
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shirish »

Davidn
I mean that we cannot afford to provide the same high level of technology , across the board, to all units- only the US has the resources to do that. Hence, we selectively upgrade in a secretive manner, and leave most to speculation. I say nothing about being pro this or anti-that !
Harry Van
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Harry Van »

Anyways inferiority of indian armour does not matter as most of paki tanks will be mopped up IAF Prithvi SSM and i doubt whether our tnaks will get a chance.

Also in case of a full-blown war I wouldnt be surprisef if India is thr first to use nuclear weapond.Since we don not know which is the red line of provocation for pakistan and when they will decide to use their nuclear weapons first
from day one our primary mission will be hunting launchers and possible nuclear weapon sites and in case of doubt we wont hesitate to sue nukes to cause wide area damage.I wouldnt be surprised if on day one we lob 10 - 20 sub kiloton devices at paki airbases and launcher sites and nuclear power plants and factories to degrade paki nuke capabilities.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

This thread is now going round and round. Time to close it clean it and archive it