India Tests Prithvi based ABM

mandrake
BRFite

Post by mandrake »

Kanson wrote:
joey wrote: But thats the most important thing, isnt it?
so we dont have that?
We are working on this..we will have it in future..
Thanks,
I was so damn excited the whole day forgot to take dinner lol took it later though.
just too much enthusiastic about india.
Jai Hind.
Tilak
BRFite

Post by Tilak »

Here's the whole set of Screenshots :
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

Tilak..good find.. But where is the interceptor ? I am seeing only one missile then only smoke...

Can you share the video link pls..Can you upload it to any fileshare.. The link you shared previously didnt show any such thing...
Tilak
BRFite

Post by Tilak »

Kanson wrote:Tilak..good find.. But where is the interceptor ? I am seeing only one missile then only smoke...

Can you share the video link pls..Can you upload it to any fileshare.. The link you shared previously didnt show any such thing...
Pic.4 is the closest I could get. And I dont have the video, had to <PrintScreen> the streaming video.
Ananth
BRFite

Post by Ananth »

Tilak wrote:Here's the whole set of Screenshots :
Tilak:

Can you capture DD video and upload it on filefront with due credits to DD? DD runs on our taxes so should not be a problem.

Vishnu:
We are eagerly waiting for psy-ops from you? Pics/video snippets welcome.

thanks,
-Ananth
Raman
BRFite

Post by Raman »

It had articles on Misala scientists from DRDO and it quitely mentioned that this gentelmen was going to head soon to be formed (as in months) team that would develop the anti-masala.
It was Dr. Vijay Kumar Saraswat.
Yerna
BRFite

Post by Yerna »

Werent there news reports around this time last year that DRDO was working on a 100 KM extended Akash which would be equivalent, if not better than Patriot? So this is not completely out of the blue.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Yerna wrote:Werent there news reports around this time last year that DRDO was working on a 100 KM extended Akash which would be equivalent, if not better than Patriot? So this is not completely out of the blue.
Its out of the blue for there is low pass filter on anything DRDO says or writes. 8) See the earlier comments in this thread that there must have been some foreign help somewhere for DRDO to come up with this.

Its not like Arun_S speculates out of the blue or PIROMA on DRDO capabilities. Its based on an analysis of what the said earlier.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

ramana wrote:
A portion of the interceptor was similar to the Prithvi missile but its second stage was a totally new segment.

The interceptor had inertial navigation guidance system, used mid-course in the flight, and an active seeker-guidance system in its terminal phase to waylay the incoming missile.

Many technologies relevant to the interceptor were validated in the mission. A radar was used and the interceptor had a seeker guidance on board.

DRDO sources said the interception could take place at varying heights. "In this instance, the interception took place 50 km above the ground. It can be at any height, depending on the time of the launch because our aim is to destabilise the incoming missile."
"ATI"-PRITHVI :wink:
John Snow
BRFite

Post by John Snow »

Now from Labs to Users we need to wheel this puupy soon.
Vijay J
BRFite

Post by Vijay J »

pleas to get spellings correct

it is prithavi and tarshul massail and not prithvi and trishul missile.

I am proud to announce as per the sayings of US State Department experts the Prithavi missile has yet again managed to hit the sea with deadly accuracy.

Pakistan with its superior chinese missiles and miraj fighters has nothing to worry about. Its deterrence is higher than the highest mountains, deeper than the Indian ocean and sweeter than honey.

Only labs that are going to get any puppies are New Labs.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Sridhar wrote:The Express report is actually a PTI report. PTI is pretty much a Government agency. So are we to start boycotting all newspapers that subscribe to PTI now?

It was probably an early report, at which time there was no confirmation of success. Now that there is, it is irrelevant. Let's focus on the actual news, including any technical details that may be released, rather than on childish second-guessing of newspapers' intents.
I am unable to get to the earlier report.. till then, i would keep my finger's cross with IE's lifafa venture, now VC-ed from washington funds & cia clouts.

Per the PTI: Its even more encouraging.. this missile is of 1000s of km range.. I would say, its based on AGNI-1/2 specs.

India unveils new supersonic anti-missile system

Balasore, Nov 27 (PTI) In a major breakthrough in its quest for an anti-missile system, India today carried out a surface-to-surface missile interception over the waters of Bay of Bengal, unveiling a new supersonic interceptor missile.
Test fired from the Wheeler Islands off the Chandipur coast, the new missile, only labelled AXO, successfully intercepted a surface-to-surface Prithvi target missile around 1100 hours.

"We have successfully validated many technologies relevant to an interceptor missile," top DRDO officials said raising prospects of the country developing an indegenious anti-missile system.

Later, top DRDO scientists, on the condition of anonymity, said in New Delhi that the missile had the capability of intercepting an incoming missiles thousands of kilometres away and had a response time of just 30 seconds.

Though tightlipped about the contours of the new missile, DRDO officials said "it was supersonic, highly manouvreable and was launched using its own mobile launcher".

Labelling the missile as of "a different class" from the US Patriot PAC-III missile which India is observing along with Israeli Arrow missiles, Defence Ministry sources said New Delhi would continue its analysing of the American system. PTI
Last edited by SaiK on 28 Nov 2006 03:23, edited 1 time in total.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Can someone post the TOI report? Thanks.
Amitabh
BRFite

Post by Amitabh »

SaiK wrote:I am unable to get to the earlier report.. till then, i would keep my finger's cross with IE's lifafa venture, now VC-ed from washington funds & cia clouts.

Per the PTI: Its even more encouraging.. this missile is of 1000s of km range.. I would say, its based on AGNI-1/2 specs.

India unveils new supersonic anti-missile system

Balasore, Nov 27 (PTI) In a major breakthrough in its quest for an anti-missile system, India today carried out a surface-to-surface missile interception over the waters of Bay of Bengal, unveiling a new supersonic interceptor missile.
Test fired from the Wheeler Islands off the Chandipur coast, the new missile, only labelled AXO, successfully intercepted a surface-to-surface Prithvi target missile around 1100 hours.

"We have successfully validated many technologies relevant to an interceptor missile," top DRDO officials said raising prospects of the country developing an indegenious anti-missile system.

Later, top DRDO scientists, on the condition of anonymity, said in New Delhi that the missile had the capability of intercepting an incoming missiles thousands of kilometres away and had a response time of just 30 seconds.

Though tightlipped about the contours of the new missile, DRDO officials said "it was supersonic, highly manouvreable and was launched using its own mobile launcher".

Labelling the missile as of "a different class" from the US Patriot PAC-III missile which India is observing along with Israeli Arrow missiles, Defence Ministry sources said New Delhi would continue its analysing of the American system. PTI
Er, it doesn't mean that the missile has a range of thousands of km but that it can deal with the high terminal velocities associated with missiles that are fired from thousands of km. I am sure ArunS and others can tell you what those velocities are.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

well.. then advice PTI to change their english.
John Snow
BRFite

Post by John Snow »

Boss what he meant was a Missile fired thousand of miles away but well before reaching the defnded target declared zone of Prithivi ABM capability.

( I just cant help but love spin even if its is from Drs. Of spin who come here) :)
satya
BRFite

Post by satya »

How long will China wait till it shows its ABM capability ofcourse painted Green in Pukeeland?

Year or later? Interesting times ahead. :twisted:
sivab
BRFite

Post by sivab »

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/DRDO ... 608903.cms

DRDO's 'new' missile shoots down Prithvi
Rajat Pandit
[ 27 Nov, 2006 2357hrs ISTTIMES NEWS NETWORK ]

NEW DELHI: Hit by trenchant criticism, DRDO yanked a 'new missile' out of its hat on Monday and used it to 'intercept' a Prithvi missile. And then, promptly proclaimed India had achieved a "significant milestone" in ballistic missile defence (BMD) capabilities.

The new missile, launched from Wheeler Island off Orissa coast, "successfully intercepted" the short-range Prithvi ballistic missile, which in turn had been fired from the Balasore interim test range, a few minutes earlier, over the Bay of Bengal at 10.25 am.

"The target, a modified Prithvi simulating a hostile missile, was intercepted at a 50-km altitude by the new interceptor missile. The new missile had inertial guidance in mid-course and active-seeker guidance (a radar-seeking warhead) in the terminal phase," said a Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) official.

The new "high supersonic" missile, which is yet to be named, has been developed indigenously as part of the "exo-atmospheric intercept system" being designed to "hit-to-kill" incoming ballistic missiles.

"It can undertake time-critical air defence missions, detecting the target in less than 30 seconds and launching the interceptor missile within 50 seconds. Many technologies, like high-manoeuvrability of the interceptor missile, were validated in the test," said a senior DRDO official.

But before you pop the bubbly in the hope that India is finally safe from Pakistani and Chinese missiles, hold on.

Given DRDO's track-record of long delays in most projects, including the Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme (IGMDP) launched in 1983, it will take several years for this new capability to become operational.

To be effective, BMD capabilities require an overlapping network of early-warning and tracking sensors; reliable command and control posts; and land and sea-based batteries of advanced interceptor missiles.

The hostile missiles have to be intercepted in one of their three flight phases: boost or launch point, mid-course or during flight through space, and terminal or during atmospheric descent. Even US is yet to put in place an effective missile defence shield.

Its BMD capabilities at present revolve around the Patriot Advanced Capability-3 and Aegis Ballistic Missile Defence-3 systems.

On being pressed, some senior DRDO officials admitted it were very early days yet. "Monday's test was just an experiment with a combination of various systems we have developed over the years. It's just the beginning. A lot of more work is required," said one.

There is, of course, no question that India eventually does require an effective BMD system.

A nuclear-capable missile launched from Pakistan, after all, can reach India in barely five to eight minutes.

"Monday's test represents the crossing of a very significant milestone in anti-missile defence capabilities against theatre (short-range) missiles. Every long journey begins with a first few steps," said K Santhanam, former chief advisor at DRDO.

But the proof of the pudding will lie in the eating. DRDO has so far been incapable of even operationalising the 9-km-range Trishul and 25-km-range Akash air-defence missiles, part of original IGMDP, leaving vast gaping holes in the country's air defence cover.

This has forced India to seek Israeli help in developing such missiles. It has even received briefings and presentations by US, Israel and Russia on their respective BMD systems like PAC-3, Arrow-2 and S-300V.
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

Shankar wrote:And one last thing arun -the interceptor missile had a very thin smoke trail compared to Prthvi .
That is to be expected. The interceptor flies for 38 second and the kill vehicle separates from the booster. But because of hypersonic speed, the missile's heat shield will however emit a thin vapor stream. And any thruster action will also generate a smoke trail. In fact in that video I saw the smoke trail that was helical (before the taget got blown apart); The classic helical exhaust plume is result of thruster firing pattern when missile is on the home(ing) run.
Rejoice for the Law'ed has spoken from the column of smoke. :wink:
Raj Malhotra wrote:Let us see what was required for this missile:-

The radar, FCC, Communication center could perhaps be imported but the point is - whether the missile is indigenous or it is just a secretely imported or assembled Arrow-2-3.
Sorry boss but I take umbrage to it.

We need to have clear sight to discern between good, bad and ugly. Why every time ask Sunita to take the "Agni Pareeksha" to prove the child is mine or someone elses? Is it because "Log kya kahengey?" or My memory & vision is clouded, so throw an allegation and see if it will stick or be rebutted in which case it is anyway "Paak" (Pious). Throwing mud wilily nilly is not good. DRDO record on BM has been good and credible.
The DRDO has not built any active radar sensor till date, now directly a ABM missile sensor! seems like a big deal, but then why not?
Glad to see that DRDO will someday make its first seeker. Start with an ABM seeker. Amen!
There is nothing to show that DRDO has mastered lateral thrusters or TVC but then why not?
Don't have to look far, vertically launched Brahmos does, and so does Agni-'s RV, and LCA's ejection seat.
There is nothing to show that DRDO has mastered high quality actuators,
I saw Prithvi Actuators, and they were pretty decent.
super quality proximity
Jcage pointed out today to me it publish its 2watt PN coded proximity RF switch that I think is super duper top of the line.
and fast acting fuse etc or even complicated sensor software but then things can always work out, can it not?
I agree they can workout. And mark my words that Akash ramjet missile program in no small way paved the ground for DRDO to jump to this ABM missile success. It must have been a tremendous learning experience.
All in all this one hell of a huge news if it is an indigenous missile!!!
It is my friend. Please note that like ICBM & nuclear weapons, ABM is also a strategic weapon. And no country will part with its secrets of strategic weapons. It will be very naive and irresponsible to think that Russia/USA or Israel will sell and provide ABM knowhow. Heck Israel will not tell it to USA, why will Israel that is know to think about its interest rationally, will be irrational to give it to India? Talk about paranoid USA, less said the better on any chance of getting the knowhow or software code.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

yeah!.. big monies involved in this arrow/patriot affair.. i am feeling about 10 such ABMs need per designated cities in India, [at least class-A cities are must, and then those B cities included, plus other important cities of strategic importance].

so little doosra is fine!.. but, care must be taken that it does not become a loophole into those lifafa gangs who now will spend more buttering cash into those middlemen to get India buying about 100s of Arrows and Patriots.
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

TOI is total BS...

I learnt that...This test was to send the messg that India is not just like another developing country.
JCage
BRFite

Post by JCage »

To add to what Arun S reported, kindly look at this report as well.

MEMS based AESA module for missile applications.
http://www.nal.res.in/isssconf/finalisss/60_PS-07.pdf

Shri Choory Gopalakrishna Balaji
He has been responsible for the development and proving of the command guidance link and radioproximity fuze of the Akash missile. Currently, heheads the Microwave Systems Group at RCI and is responsible for integration of the active radar seekersto the missile, development of the indigenous activeradar seeker, development of an active electronic scanning array for missiles using MEMS,establishment of a radar seeker test facility, and thetower top facility.His areas of interest include RF system developmentand field-related testing of these systems.

http://www.drdo.com/pub/nl/aug06/aug06.pdf
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

SaiK wrote:yeah!.. big monies involved in this arrow/patriot affair.. i am feeling about 10 such ABMs need per designated cities in India, [at least class-A cities are must, and then those B cities included, plus other important cities of strategic importance].

so little doosra is fine!.. but, care must be taken that it does not become a loophole into those lifafa gangs who now will spend more buttering cash into those middlemen to get India buying about 100s of Arrows and Patriots.
Bahi sahib, I would be happy to see India buy Arrow or Patriot by the hundreds, BUT ONLY IF they are willing to part with the design and code, and for USA, IF THEY also agree to part with code for SM3 boost phase interceptor and Agies Radar.

When that date comes we can buy Israeli or USA maal. And I know that day will never come when they will part with code for these missiles. Period
A Sharma
BRFite

Post by A Sharma »

From TOI report
What is the significance of modified Prithvi as the target??
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

A Sharma wrote:From TOI report
What is the significance of modified Prithvi as the target??
Modified to carry a lighter but faster target to emulate the flight path of a faster longer range missile.
JCage
BRFite

Post by JCage »

Arun_S wrote:
Raj Malhotra wrote:Let us see what was required for this missile

The radar, FCC, Communication center could perhaps be imported but the point is - whether the missile is indigenous or it is just a secretely imported or assembled Arrow-2-3.
Sorry boss but I take umbrage to it.

We need to have clear sight to discern between good, bad and ugly. Why every time ask Sunita to take the "Agni Pareeksha" to prove the child is mine or someone elses? Is it because "Log kya kahengey?" or My memory & vision is clouded, so throw an allegation and see if it will stick or be rebutted in which case it is anyway "Paak" (Pious). Throwing mud wilily nilly is not good. DRDO record on BM has been good and credible.
Yes, this continued insistence that similar systems have not been fielded, is somewhat bizarre given the amount of evidence that is available to the contrary.

To add:

There is indeed evidence that work is underway on long range radars. Folks may remember that the CAR was a complete surprise for those who had not been following the Akash program. It is a 180km ranged, 150 target track radar. And more than the hardware- I would point to the software being critical, as it represents knowledge which can now be disseminated across different firms in India and used as a base for further development.

In this case, there have been reports that India is developing ~ 400km radars with 200 target track capability, and there are support industries (ECIL, BEL, Astra, HBL, Tatapower, L&T et al) which can support this venture.

Coming to radar netting and multifusion, DRDO has indeed proven its capability in this field. It has supplied CRC (control and command centres) which fuse the radar data between ST-68U and multiple 2D radars to the IAF. As well as developed a similar system for the Akash, which combines data from the BSR, the Rajendra and the CAR for a unified picture.

All this within an IGMDP run within 400 Million$ and it is indeed value for money.
RM wrote:The DRDO has not built any active radar sensor till date, now directly a ABM missile sensor! seems like a big deal, but then why not?
ArunS wrote:Glad to see that DRDO will someday make its first seeker. Start with an ABM seeker. Amen!
Link posted previously on work on this front. A large ABM has more space and volume, which can result in a larger sensor and hence better performance.
There is nothing to show that DRDO has mastered high quality actuators,

I saw Prithvi Actuators, and they were pretty decent.
Actuators for the Trishul, Akash etc mentioned here as well.

http://www.drdo.com/pub/techfocus/feb03/techfeb2003.pdf

There are actuators and then there are actuators, each differs in terms of performance and specifications- ISRO and DRDO both make a variety of actuators for their products. It must be remembered that India has indigenized several of the LCA actuators (something which Sweden has not attempted for the Gripen), with other units in progress at private and Govt units (VSSC at ISRO for eg). Its but a matter of time. Actuators are needed for a variety of applications- whether it be EW masts or ROV ones or missiles, which India already manufactures and its somewhat amusing to hear that "high quality actuators" must yet be mastered, when we have already proven the industrial capability to field several of these subcomponents.
and fast acting fuse etc or even complicated sensor software but then things can always work out, can it not?
ArunS wrote: I agree they can workout. And mark my words that Akash ramjet missile program in no small way paved the ground for DRDO to jump to this ABM missile success. It must have been a tremendous learning experience
Amen. There are ample indications about the different kinds of fuzes India has mastered in various publications, manufactured by different firms, both private and public.
It is my friend. Please note that like ICBM & nuclear weapons, ABM is also a strategic weapon. And no country will part with its secrets of strategic weapons. It will be very naive and irresponsible to think that Russia/USA or Israel will sell and provide ABM knowhow. Heck Israel will not tell it to USA, why will Israel that is know to think about its interest rationally, will be irrational to give it to India? Talk about paranoid USA, less said the better on any chance of getting the knowhow or software code.
Well said!
A Sharma
BRFite

Post by A Sharma »

Mihir
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Mihir »

Does this sound uncannily similar to what General Padmanabhan wrote in his novel?
JCage
BRFite

Post by JCage »

Did he mention an ABM system?
Mihir
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Mihir »

Deleted. Repeat post
Last edited by Mihir on 28 Nov 2006 05:00, edited 1 time in total.
Mihir
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Mihir »

Yes. The "Vajra" missile sheild. It intercepted American Tomahawks (not exactly Ballistic Missiles, I agree) during the climax.
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

Prithvi interceptor missile tested successfully
... M. Natarajan, Scientific Adviser to the Defence Minister, told The Hindu over the phone from New Delhi: "With this, India has acquired the capability of air defence against the incoming ballistic missile threat. It is a significant milestone in the missile defence of the country."

He described the success of the mission as a "glow made when a thousand lamps are merged into one. That is what I feel."

"There was a lot of not only hardware but also software custom-built for this mission. They have been validated, and that is our greatest satisfaction. The credit should go to the whole team," Mr. Natarajan said.

The project director was Dr. V.K. Saraswat, Chief Controller, Missile and Strategic Systems, Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).

Trajectory monitored

The target missile was launched around 10.15 a.m. Its trajectory was continuously monitored, and the information stored in the Mission Control Centre. This information was transmitted to the Launch Control Centre for launching the interceptor, which took off some seconds later.

The target was a standard Prithvi-II missile, modified to simulate the trajectory of an enemy missile. A portion of the interceptor was similar to the Prithvi missile but its second stage was a totally new segment.

The interceptor had inertial navigation guidance system, used mid-course in the flight, and an active seeker-guidance system in its terminal phase to waylay the incoming missile. Many technologies relevant to the interceptor were validated in the mission. A radar was used and the interceptor had a seeker guidance on board.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

27.11.2006 / 18:11 India rebuffs "missile attack " as part of ABM program
NEW DELHI. November 27, 2006. KAZINFORM - The Indian anti-missile defense forces have successfully intercepted a warhead of a ballistic missile on Monday in the framework of creating the Indian national ABM system - a first time in anti-missile defense tests.
The Prithvi-2 missile and an interceptor missile were fired from different test sites on the coast of Orissa state with an interval of 60 seconds; the interceptor successfully hit the target in the assigned area above the Bay of Bengal.

Indian experts have assessed the anti-missile maneuver as "tremendous success" India could be proud of, said a representative of a scientific-research center that created the new anti-missile defense complex.

Kazinform refers to Itar-Tass correspodent Sergei Karmalito.
JCage
BRFite

Post by JCage »

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/200 ... 791300.htm
The SAM, with a range of nearly 100 km, will be ready for flight trials by the end of 2005. It would be in the class of the Patriot missile of the US (90 km) range, according to Dr V.K. Saraswat, Director of the Research Centre Imarat (RCI), one of the key Defence laboratories in the country's missile programme.

The building blocks for the `hit-to-kill', SAM, like the propulsion, control and guidance, homing devices, using radio frequency (RF) seekers, have already been developed at the Hyderabad-based RCI, in collaboration with the other Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), laboratories, he told newspersons.

A long range tracking radar, which can sight an aircraft at a distance of 400 km is under development. It can track about 200 aircraft simultaneously, giving a tactical advantage for the targeting and launching of SAMs, Dr Saraswat said.
JCage
BRFite

Post by JCage »

The long range radar will fill a vital gap in the Indian radar scene. Whilst the IAF would undoubtedly purchase a few for its ADGES (ABM usage apart), we can expect the Navy to sign up for variants as well, once it is developed and fielded.
AshishN
BRFite -Trainee

Post by AshishN »

sivab wrote:http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/DRDO ... 608903.cms

Rajat Pandit

NEW DELHI: Hit by trenchant criticism, DRDO yanked a 'new missile' out of its hat on Monday and used it to 'intercept' a Prithvi missile. And then, promptly proclaimed India had achieved a "significant milestone" in ballistic missile defence (BMD) capabilities.
:arrow:
NSN (TimesOfIslamabad) Bitter that no one appreciates his journalistic genius even 0.314% as much as he himself does, Rajat Pandit yanked a [NSN regrets] out of his [NSN regrets] today, and used it to 'analyze' the recent missile defense success that India has documented openly. And than, he promptly proclaimed that he had achieved a "significant milestone" in Dhimmitude, saying "Praise be to Lord Macaulay".
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

well, in the ranges of patriots and arrow. cool. way to go for this "desh-bhakt--baan".

regarding range: the final product could be either a prithvi or an agni range.
[quote]
Though the range of Prithvi missile system in its various marks ranges between 150 to 350km, DRDO officials said “what is important was to validate the capability of interceptionâ€
JCage
BRFite

Post by JCage »

AshishN wrote:
sivab wrote:http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/DRDO ... 608903.cms

Rajat Pandit

:arrow:
NSN (TimesOfIslamabad) Bitter that no one appreciates his journalistic genius even 0.314% as much as he himself does, Rajat Pandit yanked a [NSN regrets] out of his [NSN regrets] today, and used it to 'analyze' the recent missile defense success that India has documented openly. And than, he promptly proclaimed that he had achieved a "significant milestone" in Dhimmitude, saying "Praise be to Lord Macaulay".

Sure, DRDO can yank a missile out of its hat and make it intercept another with little to no preparation, or work from a bunch of years.

EXPECT A BUNCH OF ARTICLES IN THE INDIAN EXPRESS AND TIMES OF ISLAMABAD NOW ABOUT HOW THIS TEST WAS "UNREALISTIC" AND HOW "UNNAMED AF AND ARMY SOURCES ARE DISPLEASED AND SUSPICIOUS" AND HOW IT DOES NOT IN ANY WAY REPRESENT ANY REALISTIC ACHIEVEMENT ETC.

The cost of an ABM system is in the billions, expect all the LIFAFA Pandits, Aroors and Shuklas to trot out articles disparaging the test. :lol:
R Sharma
BRFite -Trainee

Post by R Sharma »

Why does the media have to criticize the DRDO for everything? Sure there have been some issues, but a DRDO made missile successfully intercepted an "incoming" BM. If this isn't a step towards indigenous ABM capability, I don't know what else is.

I think that there should be some changes to the DRDO, but still they have successfully conducted a test and deserve the kudos. Why can't the media commentators be objective instead of subjective? Instead they shun everything that the DRDO does good or bad. Indian reporters lack such objective reporting, esp in the national papers (which are nothing more than national tabloids).

All the reporters bash the DRDO for not being "world class". Lets start with the reporting first. How "world class" is the media when they report subjectively on nationally sensitive subjects like "What Aishwarya was wearing yesterday?" but lack that same subjectivity when it comes to more mundane topics like "DRDO's failures"? The DRDO may not be like the DARPA, but are the newspapers like the NY Times? First bring the standards of the media to that of the NY Times, then talk about "DRDO's failures".

Being subjective is the most important quality of reporting, and when reporting lacks this subjectivity, news is nothing short of hogwash filled with "expert" opinions which would not be out of place in a tabloid.
Hit by trenchant criticism, DRDO yanked a 'new missile' out of its hat on Monday and used it to 'intercept' a Prithvi missile. And then, promptly proclaimed India had achieved a "significant milestone" in ballistic missile defence (BMD) capabilities.
JCage
BRFite

Post by JCage »

Why does the media have to criticize the DRDO for everything?
Because the average journalist knows next to nothing about defence issues, and gladly reports whatever makes good sensationalist copy, or whatever bilge his sources/ editors tell him without crosschecking. Add to that an elitist contempt for the "babus" in GOI orgs who obviously are not part of "India shining" and you have the present state of affairs.