PA Corps Structure and Commanders

Sunil
BRFite

PA Corps Structure and Commanders

Post by Sunil »

Hi,<P>This is an attempt to make sense out a vast number of names and alphabets flowing rather freely around. so please add to this as you find things.. i dont recall who it was that <BR>said "Know thy enemy"..but lets see if we can draw up a list of the formations and their heads.<P>GHQ (Lt. Gen Mohammmed Aziz, Lt Gen. Salim Haidar, Maj. Gen Anis Bajwa (Establishment Secy.(ex- DGMO(?)), Brig. Javed Malik (Military Secy), Brig. Quershi (ISPR))<P>Corps and Corps Commanders.<P>1) Mangla (1st Corps)(Formerly Salim Haider; now ?)<P>2) Multan (2nd Corps)<P>3) Lahore (4th Corps)<P>4) Karachi (5th Corps)(GOC Maj. Gen. Iftekar)<P>5) Rawalpindi (10th corps, Lt. Gen. Mahmood Ahmed(* presently DGISI)<BR>(111 Brigade,Brigadier Gen. Salahuddin)<P>6) Peshawar (11th Corps)<P>7) Quetta (12th Corps)<P>8) Gujranwala (30th Corps)<BR> 9) Bhawalpur (31st Corps)<P>10) Force Commander Northern Areas (Gilgit Baltistan). <p>[This message has been edited by sunil sainis (edited 15-11-1999).]
Sumant
BRFite -Trainee

Re: PA Corps Structure and Commanders

Post by Sumant »

...up
Badar
BRFite

Post by Badar »

Hi,<P>Good work, sunil. I was going to start this thread in a couple of days.<P>One question : Sources?
Badar
BRFite

Post by Badar »

Hi,<P>Another, why the holes in the numbering sequence?<P>And which of them are the strike corps?
Badar
BRFite

Post by Badar »

up
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

Hi,<P>the sources are news articles that came out just around the coup. <P>I dont know where the gaps come from andi think Ist Corps (Mangla) is the strike corps. <P>the rest i dont know. <P>The way i suggest we do this is that <P>1) we surf the news sites esp the pakistani ones. <P>2) the moment anyone sees a name then check the list and put it up here if it is not present already. <BR><p>[This message has been edited by sunil sainis (edited 15-11-1999).]
Badar
BRFite

Post by Badar »

Hi,<P>sunil, good idea. <P>PS : Check my thread on IA corps, see if you can get your hands on Rikhye's book.<p>[This message has been edited by Badar (edited 15-11-1999).]
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

GOC Karachi, Major Gen. Iftikhar<P>Here are more names.<P>Lt. General Zulfiqar Ali Khan (Chairman WAPDA)<P>source:http://www.dawn.com/daily/19991115/latest.htm<P>Lt Gen (retd) Nasim Rana, appointed Secretary Defence on contract; and Lt<BR>Gen (retd) Javed<BR>Ashraf, appointed on contract as Secretary Railways.<P>source:http://www.dawn.com/daily/19991115/top9.htm<P>badar ravi rikhye is not on the yale liby list. <p>[This message has been edited by sunil sainis (edited 15-11-1999).]
Badar
BRFite

Post by Badar »

Hi,<P>ravi rikhye is not on the yale liby list<P>Damn!<P>
Rupak
Webmaster BR

Post by Rupak »

You can get the Rikhye books from the U of I @ UC through inter-library loan. I thought you chaps at Yale had a larger library than us.....
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

Revised estimates after trawling through PAIDS archive as far back as july 15 1999 to the present date.<P>(http://www.piads.com.pk/pdnb-index.html)<P>I shall update this as soon as I find new info)<P><I> Defence Secy.</I> lt Gen (R) Nasim Rana<BR><I> Military Secy.</I> (Brig Javed Malik (*Courtmartialled 13/10/99)) <P><BR><I> Principle Staff Officers Committee</I><BR><I>COAS Gen. Pervez Musharraf </I><BR><I>CGS</I> Lt Gen Mohammmed Aziz, <BR><I>Adjutant General (?)</I><BR><I>Quarter Master General </I>Lt. Gen. Mohammad Akram<BR><I>Master General Ordnance(?)</I><P>*********************************************<BR><I>General HQ (Rawalpindi)</I><P>Lt Gen. Salim Haidar(?), <P><I>Establishment secy, </I>(Maj. Gen Anis Bajwa), <BR>DGMO (Maj. Gen. Shahid Aziz)<BR><I>ISPR</I> Brig. Rashid Quershi (DGISPR),<BR><I>ISI</I> Lt. Gen. Mahmood Ahmed(DGISI)<BR>Lt Gen. Tariq Parvaiz Khan (*Courtmarshalled 13/10/99),<BR>(Lt. Gen. Salahuddin Tirmizi(?))<P><I>Ehtesab Cell (now NAB) GHQ Rawalpindi</I>( Lt Gen.Amjad Hussain)<P>Lt Gen. Salim Haidar(?),<P><I> CORPS ANC CORPS COMMANDERS</I> <P>1) <I>Mangla (1st Corps)</I>(North Strike)<BR>(Lt. Gen. Tauqir Zia)<P>2) <I>Multan (2nd Corps)</I>(South Strike)(Lt Gen. Yousuf Khan)<P>3) <I>Lahore (4th Corps)</I>(Lieutenant General Khalid Maqbool) <BR>(Lieutenant General Safdar Butt(?)) <BR>(Garrison Commander Major General Tariq Majid)(GOC. Maj. Gen. Javaid Ahmed)<P>4) <I>Karachi (5th Corps)</I> (Lt Gen. Muzaffar H Usmani) (major Zaffar-Ullah Khan Wazir(?))(Lt. Col Atiq-uz-Zaman Kiyani, protocol officer)<P>5) <I> Rawalpindi (10th corps)</I> Lt. Gen. Mahmood Ahmed(* DGISI)(111 Brigade Brigadier Gen. Salahuddin)(Maj Gen Arif Hassan(?))<BR>(Maj Gen Farooq Khan(?), Brig Maqbool(?), Brig Abdul Hadi(?) and Lt Col Kausar(?)) <P>6)<I> Peshawar (11th Corps)</I>(Lt. Gen. Saeeduz Zafar)<P>7) <I> Quetta (12th Corps)</I> (Lt. Gen Mushtaq Hussain)(Garrison(?) Commander Major General Shahid Hamid)(Army Command and Staff College. Major General Javed Afzal, Commandant)<P>8) <I>Gujranwala (30th Corps)</I> <P>9)<I> Bhawalpur (31st Corps) </I><P>10)<I> Force Commander Northern Areas (Gilgit Baltistan)</I>(Maj Gen. Javed Hasan) (NLI- Saifullah Bn. Lieutenant Colonel Salim Mahmood Khan.)<P><I>Director General Armed Corps</I> Maj Gen Rehmat,<P><I>Air Defence Command</I>( Maj. Gen.Iftikhar Hussain Shah DG)<P><I>Commandant PMA Kakul</I> Maj Gen Imtiaz Shaheen,<P><I>Station Commander Abbottabad </I> Brig M. Omer<P>Paramilitary<P>11)<I>Frontier Corps (NFWP)</I> (Inspector General of FC (NWFP) Maj Gen Sultan Habib)<P>12)<I>Pakistan Rangers</I>(Maj-Gen Salimullah DG PR(Punjab))<P>13)<I>Chitral Scouts</I><P>14)<I>South Waziristan Scouts</I><P>15)<I>Zhoab Militia</I> <P>16)<I>Gilgit Scouts</I><P>Other<P>1)<I>POF </I>(Maj. Gen. Abdul Qayyum, Chairmam)<P>The UNKNOWNS.<P>This stuff is picked from news reports of Defence Day so i have presented the report verbatim, i cant match the names to the formations. <P>1) In Ladian, General Officer Commanding Maj-Gen. Rizwan Qureshi, laid a<BR>floral wreath on the grave of Maj Raja Aziz Bhatti Shaheed and offered fateha.<P>2) General Officer Commanding Maj-Gen. Mohammad Tajul Mulk, laid a floral<BR>wreath and offered Fateha at the monument of Major Mohammad Akram Shaheed.<P>3) At Mahfoozabad (Pind Malkan), Punjab Regimental Centre Commander Brig.<BR>Saulat Abbas laid a floral wreath at the grave of Lance Naik Mahfooz<BR>Shaheed and offered Fateha.<P>4) Divisional Artillery Commander Brig Mohammad Anwarul Haque laid a floral<BR>wreath at the grave of Mohammad Hussain Shaheed and offered Fateha.<P>5)At a similar ceremony General Officer Commanding Maj-Gen. Mohammad Javed,<BR>laid a floral wreath and offered Fateha at the grave of Major Shabbir<BR>Sharif Shaheed at Miani Sahib, Lahore.<P>6)At Vehari, brigade commander Brig Mukhtar Ahmed, laid a floral wreath on<BR>the grave of Major Mohammad Tufail<BR>Shaheed and offered Fateha.<P>7)At village Nava Kali in Tehsil Swabi General Officer Commanding Maj-Gen.<BR>Zakauddin Malik laid a floral wreath at<BR>the grave of Capt. Karnal Sher Shaheed and offered fateha.<P>8) This is the weirdest of them all, in a symposium on the CWC this guys spoke, my guess is he is a part of the PA's CW management. (BTW he is lying through his teeth.. )<P>"Addressing the participants, Major Gen Ashfaq Pervez Kiani, General Officer Commanding, said that Pakistan's military doctrine was not based on the use of chemical weapons, and it had never made such weapons or their agents."<P>9) Lt Gen. Yousuf Khan Corps Commander, Multan, saluted martyr Abbasi's grave. Some civilians also followed suit. Lt Gen Yousuf laid two floral wreaths at the grave, one on behalf of Chief of the Army Staff Gen Pervez Musharraf. Later, Maj Gen Farooq Khan, Brig Maqbool, Brig Abdul Hadi and Lt Col Kausar laid floral wreaths at the grave representing GOC, Corps Commander Pindi and 22 unit. <P>10)Brigadier Tariq Ali Khan, Commander Logistic Area, and Brigadier Naveed Nasar, commander ASF (Karachi(?)). <P>11) Lt. Col Atiq-uz-Zaman Kiyani, protocol officer of Five Corps headquarters (this guy was the man on the scene at karachi airport when COAS flight was refused permission to land) <BR><p>[This message has been edited by sunil sainis (edited 18-11-1999).]
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

Sunil Gupta,<P>Somehow i doubt that the americans trained any NLI chaps. <P>I believe the NLI is what was classified as a civil-armed force. It consists of volounteers (civilian) and people seconded from the regular PA. The NLI was only just(post Kargil) raised to the status of a full regiment of the PA. <P>The uniforms in the photo appear to be standard issue. So nothing more can be said. <BR>
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

here is a fair catch (well very good catch)<BR> (http://www.piads.com.pk/news99jula.html)<P>Pakistan Army's strike, defence corps move to border <P>8 July 1999 <P>Javad Muzaffar <P>LAHORE: The two strike corps of the Pakistan Army and the two adjoining defence corps have fully mobilised manpower and ammunition potential from River Ravi to Siachen Glacier in the north and Okara to Badin in the south to repulse any Indian attack along the LoC or the international border. <P>In this background, one of the reserve infantry divisions from Pakistan's western border has joined the Mangla strike corps which now has three infantry divisions and an armoured division. Around 20,000 troops form an infantry division and there are four brigades in a division. The Mangla strike corps provides the backup to the Gujranwala<BR>corps which defends the River Ravi and River Chenab working boundary with India. The other strike corps, the Multan corps, is undergoing war exercises and its commanders are monitoring the developments down south. <P>Up north, around eight brigades of the Pakistan Army from Murree to Siachen having around 40,000 troops equipped with surface-to-air missiles and artillery backup are deployed to repulse any attempt by India to cross the Line of Control. The eight brigades have the backup of the Jhelum, Mangla, Gilgit and Murree divisions of the<BR>Pakistan Army. The area from Murree to Siachen is under the control of the Pindi corps and the Force Commander Northern Areas. Before the Indian occupation of Siachen, five brigades under the Murree division of the Pakistan Army used to control the area up to Azad Kashmir and further north. After 1984, three more brigades have been deployed in the Siachen Glacier area to thwart any Indian aggression. <P>The top leadership of the Pakistan Army is also well-versed in the terrain up north. The Chief of General Staff Lt Gen Aziz Ahmed is considered an expert in the area as he served as a brigade commander in the brigade deployed nearest to the Siachen Glacier around eight years ago. He also served as the Force Commander Northern Areas as a major general and the three brigades around the Siachen area fell under his command. <P>The COAS, General Pervaiz Musharraf, did his stint as a SSG commando in the Northern Areas. The present FCNA, Maj Gen Javed Hasan is one of the bright officers of the Pakistan Army and was posted to the assignment after he came from an important assignment as the defence attache in the USA. <P>Catch 2. (http://www.piads.com.pk/news99junb.html)<P>16 June 1999 <P>Pakistan Army has a force strength of 550,00 troops plus around one lac reserves. Pakistan<BR>Army has two armoured divisions, 19 infantry divisions, 1 artillery division, 6independent armoured brigades, 6 independent mechanized infantry brigades, 8 air defence brigades, 9 artillery brigades, 7 engineer brigades, 3 armoured reconnaissance regiments, one special services group (3 battalions, 1 independent counter-terrorist company). This is apart from a range of a battery of missiles from Ghauri, Shaheen, Anza and others, capable of carrying nuclear warheads with a different payload capability. <BR><p>[This message has been edited by sunil sainis (edited 18-11-1999).]
Badar
BRFite

Post by Badar »

Hi,<P>Quincy, you are proving invaluable, a veritable gold mine of information. Thank you again. I, and I am sure the rest of us here, would welcome any information you can contribute about the PA.<P>sunil, good fishin Image<P>
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

Q Quincy,<P>My focus is to identify the PSOC and the Corps Commanders and their assets list. <P><I>I have 19 divisions, whereas the sources posted by Mr. Sainis have 21. There are two possibilities. (1) There is a reference to the Gilgit division. Gilgit is the HQ for FCNA, which is still very much around. Possibly the Pakistanis are counting FCNA as a division, which ofcourse it very much is. In that case I Corps would have added an<BR>additional division. The reference to a reserve division from the western front joining the Mangla Corps' three division means a division of XI Corps (Peshawar) was transferred. I Corps used to have two divisions.</I> <P>The FCNA to me is still a vague entity, it is somewhere in between a regular formation and a civilian militia.. the number of irregular and mercinary forces that they have under their command is quite large.. btw. post Kargil the FCNA has been spruced up quite a bit. <P>There is something called the Pakistan strategic reserve, it appears in several articles on the Battle of Shakhargarh, I think this is supposed to be a part of the <BR>I corps(Mangla) and a part of the Xth corps(pindi), so my guess is if a division was transfered from XI Corps (Peshawar) it was most probably transfered to this reserve. <BR>XI Corps (Peshawar) too has a bewildering array of irregular units and paramilitaries under it. I suppose they can afford to spare a division. <BR> <P> surprized if Pakistan has six independent mechanized brigades because 111 (I) Brigade of X Corps (Peshawar) would be<BR>limited in its role as corps reserve if it was mechanized.<P>why? i didn't get the argument? why would it be limited? from media reports speak of the 111 Brigade as being a A level formation of some sort. <P><p>[This message has been edited by sunil sainis (edited 16-11-1999).]
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

More Names.. look the name of the V Corps Commander. <BR> <A HREF="http://www.dawn.com/daily/19991116/top2.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dawn.com/daily/19991116/top2.htm</A> <P>Corps Commander 5 Corps Lieutenant<BR>Genreal Muzaffar H Usmani alongwith major Zaffar-Ullah Khan Wazir arrived at the airport. I alongwith Brigadier Tariq Ali Khan, Commander Logistic Area, and Brigadier Naveed Nasar, commander ASF, received the corps commander
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

The day's catch. from. <BR> <A HREF="http://www.frontierpost.com.pk" TARGET=_blank>http://www.frontierpost.com.pk</A> <P>Ehtesab Cell, GHQ Rawalpindi, Lieutenant General Amjad Hussain<P>Action demanded against police high-handedness <BR> F.P. Report <BR>PESHAWAR - The Sipah-i-Sahaba Pakistan, Peshawar, president, Muhammad Ismail<BR>Darwash, has condemned the local police's attitude, asking the corps commander Lt General Saeed-uz-Zafar and IGP, Mohammad Saeed Khan to take notice of the police behaviour with the masses. <P>So Saeed-uz-Zafar is 11 Corps (Peshawar) commander not II Corps (Multan).
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

From the following site<BR>(http://www.du.edu/~tomills/military/asia/pa1990.htm)<P><I> REGIMENTAL LIST</I><P>Credibility (?)<P>Units are listed in order of precedence in 1990. Pakistan had become a<BR>republic in 1956, and regiments consequently omitted all traces of royal<BR>affiliations. The creation of large infantry regiments in 1956 is<BR>reflected by the constituent battalions in the right margin according to<BR>their 1903-22 regimental numbers.<P><I>Cavalry</I><P> The President's Bodyguard<BR> 4th Cavalry 1980<BR> 5th Horse<BR> 6th Lancers<BR> 7th Lancers 1980?<BR> 8th Lancers 1980?<BR> 9th Lancers 1980?<BR> Guides Cavalry (Frontier Force)<BR> 11th Cavalry (Frontier Force)<BR> 12th Cavalry (Frontier Force)<BR> 13th Lancers<BR> 15th Lancers<BR> 19th Lancers<BR> 20th Lancers 1955?<BR> 22nd Cavalry 1950?<BR> 23rd Cavalry (Frontier Force) 1960?<BR> 24th Cavalry 1960?<BR> 25th Cavalry 1960?<BR> 26th Cavalry 1972?<BR> 27th Cavalry 1972?<BR> 28th Cavalry 1972?<BR> 29th Cavalry 1972?<BR> 30th Cavalry 1978?<BR> 31st Cavalry 1978?<BR> 32nd Cavalry 1985?<BR> 33rd Cavalry 1985?<BR> 40th? Cavalry 1988?<BR> 41st? Cavalry 1988?<BR> 42nd? Cavalry 1988?<BR> 43rd? Cavalry 1988?<BR> 50th? Cavalry 1990?<BR> 51st? Cavalry 1990?<BR> 52nd? Cavalry 1990?<BR> 53rd? Cavalry 1990?<P><I><BR>Pakistan Artillery(?NO DATA)<BR> <BR>Pakistan Engineers(?NO DATA)<BR> <BR>Pakistan Signals(?NO DATA)<BR></I><P><I>Infantry</I><BR> <BR> The Punjab Regiment (19, 20, 22, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 30, 31, 33, 40,<BR>62, 66, 76, 82)<P> The Baluch Regiment (89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 124, 126, 127, 129, 130)<P> The Frontier Force Regiment (51, 52, 53, 55, 56, 58, 59)<BR> <BR> The Azad Kashmir Regiment (Raised 1971)<P> The Sind Regiment (Raised 1980)<BR> <BR> The Special Service Group (Raised 1959)<P><I>Support Arms</I><BR> <BR> Pakistan Electrical and Mechanical Engineers<BR> <BR> Pakistan Ordnance Corps<BR> <BR> Pakistan Corps of Military Police<BR> <BR> Pakistan Medical Corps<BR> <BR> Pakistan Army Education Corps<BR> <BR> Pakistan Clerks and Supply Services<BR> <BR>more from the same site<BR>(http://www.du.edu/~tomills/military/asia/iargts.htm)<P><I> The Post-Independence Pakistan Army</I><P> Pakistan became a Republic in 1956 and also consequently omitted royal<BR>connections from its Army titles. Expansion followed the same model as the<BR>Indian Army, initially leaving vacant the cavalry numbers which had gone<BR>to India, and beginning the new regimental numbers at the 22nd. New<BR>battalions were added to the existing infantry regiments, but four new<BR>regiments were also raised shortly after independence: Bahawalpur (formed<BR>from the Indian State Forces), Pathan, East Bengal, and Azad Kashmir. In a<BR>very unpopular move in 1956 the eight old and four new infantry regiments<BR>were consolidated into three large regiments: the 1st, 14th, 15th and 16th<BR>Punjab were amalgamated into one Punjab Regiment; the old Baluch, 8th<BR>Punjab and new Bahawalpur were merged into a new Baluch Regiment; and<BR>Frontier Force Regt, Frontier Force Rifles and new Pathan Regt formed a<BR>new Frontier Force Regiment. Subsequent new regiments included the Sind<BR>Regiment formed from eleven battalions of the Punjab and ten battalions of<BR>the Baluch regiments. The Azad Kashmir Regiment was formed by<BR>regularising "freedom-fighters" and other paramilitaries of the 1947-48<BR>war. The East Bengal Regiment, which was somewhat optimistically forming<BR>its 10th Battalion in 1971, was lost to Bangladesh when East Pakistan<BR>broke away in that year's war of independence. The Special Service Group<BR>was formed from the 19th Bn (raised during the Second World War) of The<BR>Baluch Regiment as Pakistan's elite red berets, a combination parachute<BR>and commando force<BR><p>[This message has been edited by sunil sainis (edited 17-11-1999).]
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

From (http://www.rpi.edu/dept/union/paksa/www ... /army.html)<P>Reliability (?) (materail appears old)<BR>But the details about the PSOC are interesting. <BR>******************************************<P>The chief of the army staff supervises his service through the Army General<BR> Headquarters in Rawalpindi. The four principal staff officers under the chief<BR> in Army General Headquarters are the chief of the general staff, the<BR> adjutant general, the quartermaster general, and the master general of<BR> ordnance. These positions are usually filled by major generals. The<BR> operations and intelligence functions were the responsibility of the chief of<BR> the general staff. <P> The Chief of army staff is General Jehangir Karamat.<P> The army components are categorized as arms or services. The arms are<BR> infantry, artillery, armor, engineers, and communications. The services<BR> include various components, such as the ordnance corps; maintenance and<BR> repair corps; electrical and mechanical engineer corps; education corps;<BR> military police corps; and the remount, veterinary, and farm corps. <P> A corps usually consisted of two or more divisions and is commanded by a<BR> lieutenant general whose headquarters is a scaled-down version of the<BR> Army General Headquarters. An infantry division, the major ground force<BR> combat formation, usually consisted of infantry, artillery, engineers, and<BR> communications units in addition to the supply and service support required<BR> for sustained independent action. Three infantry brigades usually<BR> comprised the primary organic combat units of an infantry division;<BR> armored units would be attached depending on the mission of the division<BR> and the terrain in which it operated. <P> Auxiliary or paramilitary forces include the Pakistan Rangers, the Frontier<BR> Corps, and the Frontier Constabulary. <P><BR>The 20 Infantry & 2 Armoured Divisions are grouped under 9 different<BR> Corpsheadquarters commanded by 3-star Lieutenant Generals. These are:<P> I Corps (Mangla)<BR> II Corps (Multan)<BR> IV Corps (Lahore)<BR> V Corps (Karachi)<BR> X Corps (Rawalpindi)<BR> XI Corps (Peshawar)<BR> XII Corps (Quetta)<BR> XXX Corps (Gujranwala)<BR> XXXI Corps (Bahawalpur)<BR>
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

<I>Source</I> (http://www.paktoday.com/dciplin.htm)<BR>Credibility (Positive). <P>We have some more names and it appears the the 6th Punjab is based at Karachi. <P>The Army And Discipline<P>By: Ikram Sehgal<P>A cryptic announcement became the subject of headline Saturday Oct. 8 that Lt. Gen. Tariq Pervaiz Commander 12 Corps based in Quetta, had asked for early retirement i.e. four months before he was due in Feb. 2000. Actually by age his retirement date was Nov. 7, 2000, so he has prematurely retired<BR>a year early. TP, as he as generally known to everybody, is a soldier?s soldier. I met him first in PMA in 1964 when we were stick orderlies to the President Field Marshal Ayub Khan at the passing out in October 1964 of 30th PMA (Lt. Gen. Ziauddin DG ISI and <I> Iftikhar Hussain Shah, DG Air Defense Command </I>, were respectively Senior Under Officer and Junior Under Officer of Qasim Company, the company I belonged to while <I> Lt. Gen. Salahuddin Tirmizi and Saeeduzzafar </I> were of the same Course in other companies). TP was from <I> 33rd PMA </I> , a term senior to me. Another point in common was that he escaped from a POW Camp in India in 1972, I had escaped earlier. He was originally from 6 Punjab but he later joined the same unit in which I served during the 1971 war,<I> 44 Punjab (now 4 Sindh)</I> . In fact he took over the command of D Company from me. My batman from 1971-74, MohammaAkram, passed on to his service and stayed wid th him for nearly, 15 years, thereafter coming back to me for a short time after from the Army. As such one can say we had quite a few in common. <P>aftern Gen Zia-ul-Haq's death and with the commencement of Gen. Aslam Beg's era of ?glasnost?, there was far more social inter-action between the political and military hierarchy than was necessary. Late Gen. Asif Nawaz put a stop to this. Even though the first man to suffer such a fate was a man I admired professional soldier, Lt. Gen. Hameed Gul former DG ISI, the Army meant more as an institution than the individual. Gen. Waheed Kakar retired two Lt. Gen. prematurely on this account, this despite the fact that the nature of their appointments required them to be convivial with civilians of fraternization continued during Gen. Karamat?s tenure and has continued unabated since Musharraf took over. Frankly, this is not conducive to maintaining the Chief?s authority. The COAS is the top honcho in the channel of command and he cannot have his subordinates double-guessing his authority by hobnobbing with politicians and bureaucrats. If he permits such dangerous ?liaison? he loses the fabric that binds his dominance over his subordinates. <BR>**<BR>CONDENSED FOR BREVITY<BR>**<P>Other than discipline, what separates a soldier from a civilian is soldier will invariably accept moral responsibility if he is found to be wrong. That is the honorable thing to do. In keeping with a strong tradition that puts a mantle of responsibility over the leadership in the Armed Forces, a person must either keep his counsel or seek to leave the service in an honorable fashion.TP opted for the honorable way, when he finally doffs his uniform in <I> his parent unit 6 Punjab on 12 Oct. in Karachi</I> , he will have reason to be satisfied. Others who fall into the same category would be well advised to go the TP route rather than risk harming the edifice of the Army for personal aggrandizement. Having the courage of convictions may make mind, for the sake of the uniform he has to about the company he chooses to register his dissent. <P><p>[This message has been edited by sunil sainis (edited 18-11-1999).]
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

Source(http://www.ipcs.org/states/pak-nr.html)<P>Credibility(Positive). <P>Civil-military watchdog for Pak. (Amit Baruah) The Hindu 12 November 99 <P>The Pakistani Chief Executive, Gen. Pervez Musharraf, has stressed that only "civil-military combine'' can overcome the massive problems facing Pakistan. He made these comments at a combined meeting of Corps Commanders, National Security Council and Cabinet members as well as provincial Governors in Rawalpindi yesterday. After the meeting, the Director-General of Military Operations (DGMO), Major-General Shahid Aziz, briefed Pakistani reporters about the aims and objectives of a military monitoring structure to ensure a system of good governance and corruption- free environment. <P>?2 Pak Generals leaked secrets? The Hindustan Times 12 October 99 <P>The Pakistan Army high command hastransferred one of its generals and forcibly retired another for providing information to the Sharif Government about important Army Corps Commanders? meetings, a report published today in the ?Jang? has claimed. According to the report, General Saleem Haider who was Corps Commander, Mangla, was transferred and replaced by a ?trusted? General Tauqir Zia on the orders of General Musharraf, Chief of Army Staff, while Corps Commander Tariq Pervez, who was serving as Corps Commander, Quetta, was forced to retire.<BR>The report stated that the generals were providing information to the government about the Corps Commanders? meetings that widened the rift between the Government and the Army. Political observers here believe that Punjab Chief?s sudden visit to US was a result of the information by these two generals that the Army was planning a coup to oust the Sharif Government. Meanwhile, Lt General Tariq Pervez, in an interview with the ?Jang?, said that he was forced to retire on the orders of the Army Chief. He denied meeting Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif as reported in the Press. <BR>
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

Source<BR>(http://www.ipcs.org/projects/mil-data/mil-pak.htm)<P>Credibility(Positive). <P><BR>PARAMILITARY FORCES <BR> <BR>National Guard <BR>Janbaz Force, Mujahid Force, National Cadet Corps, Women Guards 185000<BR> <BR>Frontier Corps ( Ministry of Interior ) With 45 UR-416 APC 35,000<P> <BR>Pakistan Rangers ( Ministry of Interior ) <BR>11 Regiments ( 40 Battalions ) and 1 Independent armoured car squadron 35,000<P>Maritime Security Agency <BR> 1 Alamgir ( US Gearing ) destroyer 4 Barahat patrol craft 2 Chinese Shanghai patrol craft<BR>2,000 <P>Coast Guard <BR> 23 Patrol craft and boats
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

Source (http://www.ipcs.org/projects/mil-data/mil-pak.htm)<P>Credibility (Positive)(material appears old)<P>Organisation : <BR> <BR>Corps HQ 9<BR>Armoured Divisions 2<BR>Infantry Divisions 19<BR>Artillery Divisions 1<BR>Independent Armoured Bridgades 7<BR>Independent Mechanical Infantry Brigades 6<BR>Engineer Brigades 7<BR>AD Command with 3 AD Groups, 8 AD Brig. 1<BR>Artillery Brigades 9<BR>Armoured Recce Regiment 3<BR>Special forces Group of 3 Battalions 1<BR>Aviation Squadrons 17
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

<I>Source</I><BR>After sitting at yale liby and trawling painfully through the last 20/so days of The Dawn. <P>Credibility(Positive)<P>8 Nov. (Pg 7)<BR><I> Lt. Gen Agha Jehangir Ali Khan CC(Gujranwala)</I> was the chief guest at the passing out parade of the Fixed Wing Pilot Course at <I> Army Aviation Base at Gujranwala</I> , 35 Pilots completed the course. <P>8th Nov Page 10. <BR>Federal Government Appoints Shariq Hasib as Joint Dir. IB (Quetta)<P><I> Maj Gen. Mujtaba Hassan Shah DG PP&A(?)</I> (what is PP&A?)<P>Oct 15 pg 22 <I> Maj gen. Rafiullah Niazi </I> took over as <I> new chief IB </I><P>oct 18. <BR>Multan & Bhawalpur corps commanders asked to deal with cotton procurement problems. <P>Oct 16. pg 11 Photograph Corps Commanders. <P>(a few days later i seem to have missed writing the date between oct 16 andd 31)<BR>pg 5, Karachi at Jinnahs grave, <I> photograpgh containing Lt. Gen. Muzaffar Hussaini on COAS' left, grey hair. dark glasses and wings on his chest. </I> <P>Oct 31<BR><I> GOC 5 Corps Maj Gen Malik Iftekhar Khan</I> attended the 10 passing out parade of elite forces at <I> the Anti-terrorist training school as Razaqabad</I>(so far the school has 4800 graduates .. guys please no jokes about this.)<P>Oct 31 <BR>Rawalpindi, GHQ indonesian team meets <I> Maj Gen. Shujaat Ali Khan (DG Weapons and Equipment) and Maj. Gen Khalid Naeem (DG Doctrine and Evaluation)</I> <P>Nov 2 pg 10. <BR>Tarar visits NLI base in Gilgit, received by <I> Corps Commander Lt. Gen Janshed Gulzar </I> <P><BR><I> things that come to mind </I> <P>1)Is Lt. Gen Janshed Gulzar, Mahmood Ahmed's replacement at Pindi? <P>2)Why hasn't the Corps Commander Bhawalpur been in the news? <P>He is almost invisible, the cotton pricing is the only time his name appears(he was instructed to put army officers of the rank of Major and Captain into the cotton industry and ensure proper working), there too subsequent to that one item, i found several news items on this cotton pricing problem but none made a mention of Army involvement, i am begining to feel that CC bhawalpur has not really done anything about this cotton thing. <P>3)From several articles it appears that <I> Lt. Gen Saeed-uz-Zafar CC 11 Corps Peshawar is the Number II man in Pakistan</I>, he held the helm when COAS was out making friends with turkey etc.. he has NOT been made acting CE in these cases but I dont think there is information to support further speculation. <P>here is a refresher from ipcs.org. <P>Excerpts of the conversation between CGS Aziz and COAS during the Kargil War. <BR>(http://www.ipcs.org/documents/1999/2-apr-jul.htm)<P>***<BR>Lt Gen Aziz: From here we had gone-Choudhary Zafar Saheb ( Saeeduz Zafar CC 11 Corps) Mehmood (CC 10 Corps Pindi) , myself and Tauqir (Currently CC 1 Corps Mangla). Because before going, Tauqir had spoken with his counterpart. We carried that tape with us. <P>***.. <P>Lt Gen Aziz: So, no one was in a particularly disturbed frame of mind. <P>Gen Musharraf: Even your seat man? <P>Lt Gen Aziz: Yes, he was disturbed. Also, Malik Saheb was disturbed, as they had been even earlier. Those two?s views were that the status quo and the present position of Gen Hassan (?) no change should be recommended in that. But he was also saying that any escalation after that should be regulated as there may be the danger of war. <I> On this logic, we gave the suggestion that there was no such fear as the scruff (tooti) of their (militants) neck is in our hands, whenever you want, we could regulate it. Ch. Zafar Saheb (Saeeduz Zafar) coped very well. He gave a very good presentation of our viewpoint.He said we had briefed the PM earlier and given an assessment. After this, we played the tape of Tauqir. Then he said that what we are seeing, that was our assessment, and those very stages of the military situation were being seen, which it would not be a problem for us to handle. Rest, it was for your guidance how to deal with the political and diplomatic aspects.</I> We told him there is no reason of alarm and panic. Then he said that when I came to know 7 days back, when Corps Commanders were told. The entire reason <BR>for the success of this operation was this total secrecy. Our experience was that our earlier efforts failed because of lack of <BR>secrecy. So, the top priority is to accord confidentiality, to ensure our success. We should respect this and the advantage we have from this would give us a handle. <BR><p>[This message has been edited by sunil sainis (edited 19-11-1999).]
Badar
BRFite

Post by Badar »

Hi,<P>Qunicy, Sunil, this is what I have summed from the two threads. Does it tally?<BR> <A HREF="http://www.angelfire.com/oh3/badar/PACorps.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.angelfire.com/oh3/badar/PACorps.html</A> <BR> <A HREF="http://www.angelfire.com/oh3/badar/IACorps.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.angelfire.com/oh3/badar/IACorps.html</A>
Sumant
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Sumant »

.. phew! <BR>Wonderful research sunil and quincy. I had to download the thread in order to go through it at leisure. Thanx once again for the sweat spent.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Sunil, Quincy, Badar - could I ask you people to please maintain individual copies of this thread - a lot of work has gone in and it looks archivable - and I wouldn't want it to get "lost" accidentally.
Rupak
Webmaster BR

Post by Rupak »

Badar<P>Your list seems to be missing XXI Corps. This is the third strike formation with 33 Armd Div and 54 Div as core formations.<P>Note also that XIV Coprs will control 8 Mtn Div and 3 Div. 8 Div may have set an IA record. At one point last year HQ 8 Div controlled 12 Brigades.<BR>Rupak<P>[This message has been edited by rupak (edited 19-11-1999).]<p>[This message has been edited by rupak (edited 19-11-1999).]
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

Q.Quincy and Badar,<P>I am going to try to organise the information that we do have so far. <P>I am drawing on Badars list and will build up from there. <P>Q.Quincy i have no clue why the Denver U site is inaccessible from your computer, i seem to be able to access it fine. <P>Shiv I have the thread backed up, would appreciate if it could be archived a t a later stage.<P>and Guys please proofread the thing and pointout mistakes immediately. <P><I> Q. Quincy, Badar and anyone else who is on this frequency.. I cant find information on Arty, Mech Inf, and Armoured Corps of PA,<BR>esp details of how they liase and what exactly is the structure of armoured units eg a tank brigade..</I> (1.46 pm 11/20/99)<BR><p>[This message has been edited by sunil sainis (edited 20-11-1999).]
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

<B>PA OrBat </B><P><I> General Information and Notes </I> <P>Pakistan Army has a force strength of 550,000 troops plus around 100000 reserves. <P>The command structure has a Principal Staff Officers Committee(PSOC) headed by the Chief of Army Staff(COAS), with four other general officers. The PA General Headquarters (GHQ) (Rawalpindi) operates under the PSOC. <P>Further organisation is in the form of Arms and Services. The arms are infantry, artillery, armor, engineers, and communications. The services include various components, such as the ordnance corps; maintenance and repair corps; electrical and mechanical engineer corps; education corps;<BR>military police corps; and the remount, veterinary, and farm corps.<P>A corps is a scaled-down version of the GHQ, it consists of a Corps Commander(a Lt. General) and several other General Officers Commanding (GOC)(Maj. General). A corps usually consists of 2-3 Divisions. All plains corps have an Independent Tank Brigade. All Corps have an Independent Infantry Brigade. There are nine Corps Headquarters and the total resources of the PA are distributed therein.<P><I> List of Corps Formations </I> <BR>I Corps (Mangla)<BR>II Corps (Multan)<BR>IV Corps (Lahore)<BR>V Corps (Karachi)<BR>X Corps (Rawalpindi)<BR>XI Corps (Peshawar)<BR>XII Corps (Quetta)<BR>XXX Corps (Gujranwala)<BR>XXXI Corps (Bahawalpur)<P><I>Notes Regarding Formations</I> <P>(1)<I>Infantry divisions</I>:- As the major ground force combat formation, it usually consisted of infantry, artillery, engineers, and communications units in addition to the supply and service support required for sustained independent action. Three infantry brigades usually comprised the primary organic combat units of an infantry division; armored units would be attached depending on the mission of the division and the terrain in which it operated. <P>(2)<I>Present Estimates(available from open media sources) of PA Division Level and Brigade Level Strength.</I><P>2 Armoured Divisions <BR>19 Infantry Divisions <BR>1 Artillery Divisions <BR>7 Independent Armoured Bridgades <BR>6 Independent Mechanical Infantry Brigades <BR>7 Engineer Brigades <BR>1 AD Command with 3 AD Groups, 8 AD Brig. <BR>9 Artillery Brigades <BR>3 Armoured Recce Regiment <BR>1 Special forces Group of 3 Battalions <BR>17 Aviation Squadrons <P>(3)<I> PA Regiments</I> :- The bulk of the Pakistan Army is in three regimental HQs, Punjab Regt, Baluch Regt., Frontier Force Regt. their regiments tend to have a huge number of battalions, 40-50 each. There is the AK Regiment with about 35+ battalion and the Sindh Regiment with perhaps 20+. These formations have been reorganised several times in the post independence period.<P>Presently available Infantry regiment details are as follows. <P>(a)The Punjab Regiment (19, 20, 22, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 30, 31, 33, 40, 62, 66, 76, 82)<P>(b)The Baluch Regiment (89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 124, 126, 127, 129, 130)<P>(c)The Frontier Force Regiment (51, 52, 53, 55, 56, 58, 59)<P>(d)The Azad Kashmir Regiment (Raised 1971)<BR>Brigades raised under this regiment have 4 Battalions as opposed to the usual three. <P>(e)The Sind Regiment (Raised 1980)<P>(f)The Special Service Group (Raised 1959)<P>(4)<I>FCNA</I> :-In addition to 9 Corps, there is also a Force Commander Northern Areas, this is a regular military command with its HQ at Gilgit, with normally four army brigades assigned. For several reasons has never been designated as a division flag.It operates under the supervision of X Corps(Rawalpindi). <P>(5)<I> Paramilitary Formations</I> :- There exist a large number of paramilitary formations which are not funded by the Pakistani Defence Ministry, these formations often labelled as civil-armed forces, Scouts or Militias are often used in several internal security related roles, their command, training and control however is retained by the regular PA. Historically most of these paramilitary forces were irregular units, which have now been `regularised'. <P>(6)<I>The Special Service Group Regiment</I>:- This unit was raised in 1959, it was formed out of the 19 Bn of the Baluch Regiment to form a commando and parachute force. It has since evolved a considerable number of multi-role capabilities and was used extensively in operations in the Kashmir theatre in '65 and '71 conflicts. <P>(7)<I>Army Aviation</I>This is a small army formation based at Gujranwala. It has at its disposal the following aircraft. <P>(a) Commander 840 (Survey Aircraft)(1)<BR>(b) Cessna 421 (Liaison Aircrafts)(1)<BR>(c) Commander 690(Liaison Aircraft)(2)<BR>(d) Mashshag (Liaison Aircraft)(80)<BR>(e) F- 27(Liaison Aircraft)(2)<BR>(f) O- 1E(Observation Aircraft)(40)<BR>(g) Mashshag(Observation Aircraft)(50)<BR>(h) AH - 1F (TOW )Helicopter (Attack))(20)<BR>(i) Bell 47G (Helicopter (Transport))(12) <BR>(j) Bell 205 (Helicopter (Transport))(7) <BR>(k) Bell 206B (Helicopter (Transport))(10) <BR>(l) Mi- 8 (Helicopter (Transport))(16) <BR>(m) IAR / SA-31 5B (Helicopter(Transport))(6) <BR>(n) IAR / SA-316(Helicopter(Transport))(23) <BR>(o) SA-330 (Helicopter (Transport))(35) <BR>(p) UH-1H (Helicopter (Transport))(5) <BR>(q) Mi-17 (Helicopter (Transport))(?)<P>(9)<I>Artillery Regiments</I> <P>Present equipment estimates indicate the following numbers.<P>Towed Artillery <P>(a) 85 mm T- 56 Chinese (20)<BR>(b) 105 mm M- 101 (300)<BR>(c) 105 mm M- 56 pack (50)<BR>(d) 122 mm T- 60 Chinese (200)<BR>(e) 122 mm T-54 Chinese (400)<BR>(f) 130 mm T-59-1 Chinese (200)<BR>(g) 155 mm M-59 (30)<BR>(h) 155 mm M- 114 (60)<BR>(i) 155 mm M- 198 (100)<BR>(j) 203 mm M- 115 (26)<BR> <BR>Self Propelled Artillery <BR>(a) 105 mm M-7 (50)<BR>(b) 155 mm M- 109 A-2 (150)<BR>(c) 203 mm M- 110 A-2 (40)<P>Multiple Rocket Launchers : <P>(a) 122 mm Azar (T- 83 Chinese ) (45)<BR> <BR>Mortars <P>(a) 81 mm(500) <BR>(b) 120 mm AM- 50, M- 61 (225)<BR> <BR>Surface to Surface Missiles <BR>(a) Hatf-1,2 (18)<BR>(b) Shaheen (?)<P>(10)<I>Armoured Regiments and Mechanised Infantry</I> <P>Present equipment estimates indicate the following numbers.<P>Main Battle Tanks : ( 2,050 + ) <BR>(a) M- 47 (120)<BR>(b) M- 48A5 (280)<BR>(c)T- 54 / 55 (50)<BR>(d)T- 59 Chinese (1200)<BR>(e)T- 69 Chinese (200)<BR>(f)T- 85 Chinese (200)<BR>(g)MBT Khalid (?)<BR>(h)T-90 (Ukraine?)(?)<P>APCs:<P>(a) M- 113 (850)<BR>(b) BTR- 70 (169)<P>(11)<I>Infantry weapons</I><P>Anti Guided Tank Weapons <BR>(a) Cobra, TOW ( including 24 on M-190 SP ) Green Arrow ( Chinese Red Arrow ) (total 800)<P>Rocket Launchers <P>(a) 89 mm M-20-3.5 in (?)<P>Recoiless Guns<P>(a) 75 mm T- 52 (?) <BR>(b) 106 mm M- 40A1 (?)<P>(12)<I>Air Defence Regiments</I> <P>Present equipment estimates indicate the following numbers.<P>AD Guns <BR>(a) 14.5 mm (?)<BR>(b) 35 mm GDF- 002 (200)<BR>(c) 37 mm T-55 / 56 Chinese (?)<BR>(d) 40 mm M1 (?)<BR>(e) 40 mm L / 60 (100)<BR>(f) 57 mm T-59 Chinese<P>Surface To Air Missiles <P>(a)Stinger, Redeye, RBS-70 (350)<BR>(b)Anza Mk 1 / 2 (500)<BR>(c)HQ-2 (Chinese SA-2) (?)<P><BR><B> STRUCTURE </B> <P><B> COAS Gen. Pervez Musharraf </B> <P><I> Defence Secy. </I> (lt Gen (R) Nasim Rana)<P><I> Establishment secy</I>, (Maj. Gen Anis Bajwa)<P><I> ISPR </I> Brig. Rashid Quershi (DGISPR)<BR><I> ISI </I> Lt. Gen. Mahmood Ahmed(DGISI)<BR><I>Ehtesab Cell (now NAB)</I>( Lt Gen.Amjad Hussain)<BR><I> IB </I> Maj gen. Rafiullah Niazi (DGIB) <P><B> Principle Staff Officers Committee </B> <P>(a) <I> CGS </I> (Lt Gen Mohammmed Aziz)<P><B> General HQ (Rawalpindi)</B><BR> <BR> (a.1) <I> Vice CGS </I> (?)<BR> (a.2) <I> DGMO </I> (Major-General Shahid Aziz)<BR> (a.3) <I>DG Weapons and Equipment </I> (Maj Gen. Shujaat Ali Khan) <BR> (a.4) <I>DG Armoured Corps </I> (Maj. Gen Rehmat) <BR> (a.5) <I>DG Air Defence Command</I> <BR> (a.6) <I> DG Doctrine and Evaluation</I> (Maj. Gen Khalid Naeem )<BR> (a.6) <I>DG Air Defence Command </I> ( Maj. Gen.Iftikhar Hussain Shah )<BR> (a.7) <I> DG Perspective Planning and Army Education</I> (Maj Gen. Mujtaba Hassan Shah)<P>Lt. Gen. Salahuddin Tirmizi(?)<P>Lt Gen. Salim Haidar(?),<P>(b) <I> Adjutant General </I> (?)<BR> <BR>(c) <I> Quarter Master General </I> Lt. Gen. Mohammad Akram<BR> <BR>(d) <I> Master General Ordnance </I> (?)<P><B> CORPS ANC CORPS COMMANDERS </B> <P><B>(1) Mangla (1st Corps)(North Strike,Army Reserve North)</B><P><I>Corps Commander</I> (Lt. Gen. Tauqir Zia)<BR> <BR><I> Recent list of officers </I> <P><B>Geographic Location and Significance</B><BR>Backs up the XXX Corps (Gujranwala) <P><B> Corps Assets </B><BR> 6 Armoured <BR> 17 Division <BR> ? Division <BR> ? Indp Inf Bde <P><B> (2) Multan (2nd Corps)(South Strike,Army Reserve South)</B><BR> <BR><I>Corps Commander</I> (Lt Gen. Yousuf Khan)<P><B>Geographic Location and Significance</B><P><B> Corps Assets </B><BR> 1 Armoured Div<BR> 37 Division <BR> ? Indp Inf Bde <P><B> (3) Lahore (4th Corps) </B><BR> <BR><I>Corps Commander</I> (Lt Gen. Khalid Maqbool)(General Safdar Butt(?)) <P>(Garrison Commander Major General Tariq Majid)(GOC. Maj. Gen. Javaid Ahmed)<P><B>Geographic Location and Significance</B><P><B> Corps Assets </B><BR> <BR> 10 Division <BR> 11 Division <BR> 40 Division <BR> ? Indp Inf Bde<P><B>(4) Karachi (5th Corps) </B> <P><B> Corps Commander </B>(Lt Gen. Muzaffar H Usmani) <P>(major Zaffar-Ullah Khan Wazir(?))(Lt. Col Atiq-uz-Zaman Kiyani, protocol officer)<P><B>Geographic Location and Significance</B><P><B> Corps Assets </B><BR> 18 Division <BR> ? Division <BR> ? Indp Inf Bde <P><B>(5) Rawalpindi (10th corps)</B> <P><B> Corps Commander </B> (Lt. Gen Janshed Gulzar) <P>(111 Brigade Brigadier Gen. Salahuddin)(Maj Gen Arif Hassan(?)) (Maj Gen Farooq Khan(?), Brig Maqbool(?), Brig Abdul Hadi(?) and Lt Col Kausar(?))<P><B>Geographic Location and Significance</B><P>X Corps is responsible for Kashmir (Murree to Siachin). In theory mechanized forces could be employed between Naushera and Akhnur; in practice they have been used at Akhnur and have come from plains corps.<P><B> Corps Assets </B><P> 12 Division (NW Kashmir, 6 Bde's) <BR> 19 Division (Jhelum, 3 Bde's) <BR> 23 Division (Akhnur, 4 Bde's) <BR> 111 Indp Inf Bde (Corps Reserve)(Brig. Gen. Salahuddin)<BR> <BR><I> Force Commander Northern Areas</I> (Gilgit Baltistan)(Maj Gen. Javed Hasan) <P>(NLI- Saifullah Bn. Lieutenant Colonel Salim Mahmood Khan.) NLI is actually it is composed of high quality mountain troops who are all regulars recruited from Gilgit, Skardu, Baltistan etc areas. It is funded by the Pakistani Home Ministry, but training, command and control rest with PA. <P>FCNA has Brigades at <BR> Gilgit <BR> Astor <BR> Skardu <BR> Kappalu <P><B>(6) Peshawar (11th Corps)(Infantry Strike Corps, Reserve)<P>Corps Commander </B>(Lt. Gen. Saeeduz Zafar)<P><B> Geographic Location and Significance</B><BR>Kashmir offensive, this is the Strategic Reserve, it is to exploit any andvances made by X corps and ultimately liberate Kashmir. <P><B> Corps Assets </B><BR> 7 Division (Peshwar) <BR> 9 Division (Mardan) <BR> ? Indp Inf Bde <P><B> (7) Quetta (12th Corps) (reserve corps) <P>Corps Commander (Lt. Gen Mushtaq Hussain)<P>(GOC Major General Shahid Hamid)(Army Command and Staff College. Major General Javed Afzal, Commandant)<P>Geographic Location and Significance</B><P>Corps Assets [/b]<BR> 16 Division <BR> 41 Division <BR> ? Indp Inf Bde <BR> Note : One Bde is detached and deployed between V and XXXI Corps. This might be the strike sector. <BR> <P><B>(8) Gujranwala (30th Corps)(Defensive Formation)</B> <P><B> Corps Commander </B>(Lt. Gen Agha Jehangir Ali Khan)<P><B>Geographic Location and Significance</B><BR>defends Ravi and Chenab boundry with India<P><B> Corps Assets </B><BR> 8 Division <BR> 15 Division <BR> ? Indp Inf Bde <P><B>(9) Bhawalpur (31st Corps) (Defensive Formation) </B><P><B> Corps Commander </B>(?)<P><B>Geographic Location and Significance</B><BR>Bhawalpur <P><B> Corps Assets </B><P> 14 Division <BR> 35 Division <BR> ? Indp Inf Bde <P><BR>[This message has been edited by sunil sainis (edited 20-11-1999).]<p>[This message has been edited by sunil sainis (edited 20-11-1999).]
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

JayJi,<P>The information so far indicates that the Mangla Corps(I) is a Strategic Reserve. to back up the XXXth at Gujranwala. <P>There is also a town called mangla at the base of the Mangla Dam at the POK, Punjab Border north west of the Pindi-Jhelum highway. <BR> <A HREF="http://star.physics.yale.edu/users/sainis/Mangla.gif" TARGET=_blank>http://star.physics.yale.edu/users/sainis/Mangla.gif</A> <P><BR>and There is a town named Mangla(Punjab), which is ~20 miles south west of <BR>Sargodha, about ~100 miles east of gujranwala.<BR> <A HREF="http://star.physics.yale.edu/users/sainis/ManglaP.gif" TARGET=_blank>http://star.physics.yale.edu/users/sain ... laP.gif</A> <P>Which of these is Corps I HQ? <BR><p>[This message has been edited by sunil sainis (edited 21-11-1999).]
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

<B>Source</B> The DAWN <A HREF="http://www.dawn.com/daily/19991121/nat4.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dawn.com/daily/19991121/nat4.htm</A> <P>Credibility(Positive/Affirmative)<P>Project inaugurated: Karachi to get 40mgd additional water <P>KARACHI, Nov 20: The additional 40 million gallons of water (mgd) project was inaugurated on Saturday by Sindh Governor Air Marshal Azim Daudpota at a simple ceremony held at the Pipri Filter Plant. With the inauguration of the project, the Karachi city has started getting the additional quantity of water. The Rs100 million project has been completed in a short time of six months under the supervision of the Army's Vth Engineering Corps personnel. Highlighting the project's salient features, <B> the Army's Vth Engineering Corps commander, Brig Asif Ghazali,</B> told the governor that since the only reliable source of water supply to the city was the River Indus, the engineering corps personnel executed the project by utilizing maximum capacity of the conduits of the K-2 project of 100 mgd of water, besides laying a 2.2 kilometre supply pipeline. <P><BR><B>HIT</B><BR><B>Source</B> Frontier Post <A HREF="http://www.frontierpost.com.pk/city.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.frontierpost.com.pk/city.html</A> <P>Credibility (Positive)<P>Cadets awarded Para-Wing insignia <P>PESHAWAR (APP) - An impressive ceremony was held at Polo ground to award Para Wing<BR>insignia to armed forces personnel and cadets of <B> Pakistan Military Academy Kakul </B>, here Saturday.<B> Major General, Asif Duraiz Akhtar, General Officer Commanding </B> was the chief guest. Speaking on the occasion, Major General Asif Duraiz commended the physical fitness of the successful airborne trainees and said that it was no ordinary achievement as they were proud recipient of an award which distinguishes them from their other comrades in arm. He said, the successful completion of this hard core training course bears ample testimony to the<BR>high professional skills and physical fitness attained by the members of our armed forces. <BR>Later,<B> Major General Javed Iqbal, Major General Tahir Mahmood Qazi and Major General Khateer Hassan Khan </B> affixed airborne insignia on the chests of successful trainees. <B> Commander SSG, Brigadier Amir Faisal Alavi</B> was also present on the occasion. Later, the men of Special Service Group (SSG) demonstrated a breath taking show of free fall from the height of ten thousand feet, where the spectators were thrilled to see the daring display by these military parachutists. <P><B> Source </B> From PakMilitary.com<P>Credibility (Infra)<P><BR>A Strike Corp as far as '71 information is concerned consisted of Two to Three Strike Divisions. That is Two infantry and One Armored Division. The infantry divisions are trained much in advance about the objectives they have to achieve, though the exact objective is not specified. This training is extremely rigorous and may come as close to the SSG training as possible. I believe, Pakistan has a Strike Corp located in Mangla. This Corp oprates under great deal of secrecy. Since its areas of operations are the best kep secrets of Pakistan. Generally, the infantry divisions are stealth divisions like the Seventh Division (The Golden Arrow) of Pakistan. Right up to the last minute, no one knows where it would Strike. In '71 India had no idea, about its movement. However, the Strike force was never used at that time. I believe, the 12 th division is also a strike division and there maybe more. The quality of weaponry is suitable for offensive operation and may include the latest Ukrainian tanks in the armor component(at least I hope!). During the the "Brass-Tack," excercise of India, while India had massed its troops in Rajastan, thereby threatening, the "chiken-neck," area of Rahim Yar Khan, Pakistan had moved its Strike Corp along Bhawalnagar-Jullunder Axis in a brilliant pincer move. The Indians were caught unawares because Pakistan was begining to threaten East Panjab. The repercussions of this move were felt throughout the Indian Army, many heads were made to roll in the command structure of IA (INDIA TODAY OF THAT TIME CARRIED THIS STORY). These included several GOCs and Staff-Officers, and the "Indian Napolean," Gen.Sunderji's dream of cutting Pakistan into two was wiped out in one fell swoop. It was one of the biggest intelligence failure in IA history. Coming back to the subject of Strike Corps, during the Zerb-e-Momin Excercise, the Beg Doctrine of OFFENSIVE-DEFENSE was evolved. and this includes the use of an Offensive Strike Corp and a Defensive Support Corp. During this exercise, the Force representing the Pakistan Army was pitched against an overwhelming opposing force representing India (I believe they were given names like the Blueland force etc), the Pakistani Force through using the Offensive defense doctrine overwhelmed the Opposing force. Since, then the army has re-organized and the lessons learnt in this excercise are still being applied to force management. It also was a co-ordinated excercise, where the Air force played a vital role. Therefore, the Pakistani Corps are now designated for Offensive (Strike Corp) and Defensive role. Details of the current situation I am not privy to.<P>Also from the same site. <P>Credibility (Infra-Positive)<P><h2>SSG Special Services Group</h2><P>In 1953-54 the Pakistan Army raised an elite commando formation with US Army assistance. To disguise its true mission the new unit was simply designated <B>10 Bn. of The Baluch Regiment</B> The battalion was posted to a new headquaters at Cherat near Attock City.<P><BR>In march 1964 a <B>Mobile Training Team</B> from the <B>US Army Special Forces Group (Airborne)</B> went to Pakistan to set up a new airborne school at Peshawar for 19 Baluch. The school included basic and jumpmaster courses. All memebers of 19 Baluch were airborne-qualified. The training team also included four riggers, who helped train Pakistani counterparts.<P><BR>By this time 19 baluch was already considered the <B>SSG (Special Services Group)</B> which was divided into 24 companies. Each company had specialization units, specialized in desert, mountain, ranger, and underwater warfare. The desert companies participated in training excercises with <B>US Army Special Forces Mobile Training Team</B> in late 1964. The scuba company in karachi was renowned for its tough physical training.<P><BR>In 1970 an anti-terrorist role was added. This mission was given to the <B>Musa Company</B>, an independent formation within SSG. The name was given after the name of Prophet Musa (Moses). The company was originally formed in 1970 as a combat diver unit. In 1980 however each company was given a diver unit. After the Musa company was converted to an anti-terrorist unit, it received training by <B>British SAS</B> advisors in Cherat during mid-1981.<P><BR>In 1986 SSG began a large-scale basic training programme for Sri Lankan Paramilitary militia forces. Commando and airborne training was given to members of the Sri lankan Commando Regiment.<P>SSG units have also been seconded in covert operation in Afghanist during Afghan war, as air marshals on passanger airline and as VIP security. At present, the SSG maintains its headquaters at Cherat and runs the Airborne School at Peshawar. Two SSg batalios are normally rotated through Cherat with a third battalion divided between the border and other strategic locations such as the Terbella Dam and nuclear research fascilities. Each SSg battalion numbers 700 men in four companies. Each company is split into platoons and further sub-divided into 10 men teams. Battalions are commanded by Lieutenant Colonels, the group is currently run by a Colonel<P><BR><h2>Training</h2><P>SSG officers must have at least two years of prior military experience and volunteer from other formations for three-year assignments with the SSG; NCO and enlisted men volunteer from other formations to serve permanently in the SSG. All tainees must participate in an eight-month SSG course at Cherta.<P>The SSG course course emphasizes tough physical conditioning. Included is a 36-mile march in 12 hours, a gruelling requirement that was first institutionalized by 19 Baluch. They are also required to rn 5 miles in 40 minutes with full gear. Following the SSG course, trainees must volunteer for Airborne School. The course last four weeks, with wings awarded after seven (five day, two night) jumps. none SSG airborne students only have to complete a the five day jump.<P><BR>many in SSG school are selected for additional specialist tarining. A HALO course is given at Peshawar with a 'skydiver' tab awarded after 5 freefall jumps. A <B>"Mountain Warfare"</B> qualification badge is given after completing a course at the <B>Mountain Warfare School</B> in Abbotabad; and a <B>"Combat Diver"</B> badge is awarded awarded for the course held by the <B>Naval Special Services Group SSGN</B> at Karachi. three classes of combat swimmers were recognized: 1st class to those complating an 18-mile swim; 2nd class to those finishing a 12-mile swim; and 3rd class for a 6-mile swim. SSG regularly sends students to the US for special warfare and airborne training. later on due to Siachen crisis, a <B>Snow and High Altitude Warefare School</B> was also established<P><BR><h2>SSG Weapons and Uniforms</h2><P>While they were designated 19 baluch, the pakistani special forces were distinguished by a green beret with the Baluch Regt. beret insignia on a maroon flash. A 'Baluch' tab, black with a maroon background, went on left shoulder. Combat uniforms were Khaki. The SSg dropped the green beret in favour of a maroon baret. A silver metal SSG beret is worn in a light blue felt square. A bullion SSG para wing with a black cloth background is worn on the left chest. A red cloth version is worn by master parachitist who has atleast 50 jumps. SSG "Riggers" wear a wing with the English word 'Rigger' stiched across the wing. A distinctive SSG badge featuring a dagger framed by lightening bolts, used since 1964 by members of 19 Baluch goes on the left shoulder; qualification tabs and badges such as Skydiver, SCUBA, or Mountain Warefare go on the right shoulder. A silver metal SSG insignia is occasionally worn on shoulder straps.<P><BR><h2>Navy Special Forces</h2><P>In 1966 the Pakistan Navy created its own commando unit, the Naval Special Services (SSGN). training was initially conducted by SSG in Cherat, Peshawar and Karachi bases. The SSGN currently maintains headquaters in Karachi headed by Pakistan Navy Commander. It has a strength of one company and is assigned to unconventional warfare operations in the coastal regions. In war, the SSGN would make use of the Pakistan Navy's midget submarine fleet. parachute training is conducted by Army SSG. All other training of SSGN is held at the SSGN training center, <B>PNS Iqbal</B> in Karachi. Some students are sent to US for specialist courses. Since 1970s the SSGN holds joint exercises with the <B>US Navy SEALS</B> and the Imperial Iranian Navy. <P>SSGN is distinguished by a dark blue beret with three versions of the 'fouled anchor' Navy badge for officers, NCOs and enlisted men. A metal SSGN qualification badge featuring a vertical dagger superimposed over a midget submarine is worn over the left pocket on dress uniforms. Parachute wings are worn over the right pocket<P><BR>And Finally a list of the possible squadron level deplayments of the Aviation units. <BR>Credibility (Infra)<P>UNIT EQUIP. BASE<P>No. 2 Sqn. <BR>(Composite) Bell UH-1, Cessna O-1 Lahore<BR> MFI-17 Mashak<BR>No. 3 Sqn. <BR>(Composite) Cessna O-1, <BR> MFI-17 Mashak<P>No. 4 Sqn. Mil Mi 8 Dhamial<BR>No. 4 Sqn. Mil Mi 8 Rahwali<BR>(Det.) <BR>No. 4 Sqn. Mil Mi 8 Gilgit<BR>(Det.)<P>No. 5 Sqn. Alouette III Dhamial<BR> <BR>No. 6 Sqn. Bell UH-1H, Dhamial<BR>(ERC) AB-205A-1 <P>No. 7 Sqn. Cessna-O1, Shar-e-Faisal<BR>(Composite) MFI-17 Mashak <P>No. 8 Sqn. Lama Dhamial<BR>No. 8 Sqn. Lama Skardu <BR>(Det.) <P>No. 9 Sqn. Alouette III Peshawar<BR>(Composite) MFI-17 Mashak <BR> Cessna O-1 <P>No. 13 Sqn. MFI-17 Mashak, Dhamial<BR>(Composite) Cessna O-1 <P>No. 21 Sqn. Puma, Bell UH-1H Multan<P>No. 25 Sqn. Puma<P>No. 31 Sqn. Bell Ah-1S, 206 Multan <P>No. 32 Sqn. Bell Ah-1S, 206 Multan<P>Army Aviation Bell OH-13, Gujranwala<BR>School MFI-17 Mashak <P>VIP Flight cessna 421 Dhamial<BR> Rockwell Turbo Commander <P>Air Force MFI-17 Mashak<BR>Academy Army <P>Army Aviation ? Dhamial<BR>Engineering School <BR>503 Workshop<BR> <P> Emergency Relief Cell Bell 205 Dhamial<BR> Frontier Corps Bell 206 Dhamial<P>Courtesy of: World Air Power Journal<BR><p>[This message has been edited by sunil sainis (edited 21-11-1999).]
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

As short Note on credibility rating system <P>Four categories. (Listed in order of decreasing credibilities)<P>1)Affirmative. :- very reliable information, such as information presented from reputed military journal, directly presented/public testimonies of Military/Government officers. <P>2) Positive:- Material listed in prominent news services, and analysis by persons in the Knowledgeable persons list. <P>3) Infra. :- Data from websites and analysis presented therein.<P>4) Negative.:- Information that is not in the least bit reliable, very emotional testimonies, uncorroborated hearsay from vested interests.. I strongly recommend that Negative rated material be discarded at source<P>List of Knowledgeable Persons for Pakistan.<P>1) Ikram Sehgal <BR>2) Manoj Joshi <BR>3) Ravi Rikhye<BR>4) Maj. Gen. (R) Askoh Mehta <P>(We can expand this list so suggestions welcome) (I welcome comments on all this)<P>
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

Can anyone compare the number of Lt. Gens and Major Generals in the Paki army vs. the Indian army. I don't think that the pakis have more than 15-16 Lt. Gens to select the C-in-C from.<P>While it is obvious that the Indian army has a wider pool to select their commanding officers from, how do our Generals fare compared to their terrorist counterparts across the border?<P><BR><P>------------------<BR>Paul
Peeyoosh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Peeyoosh »

Sunil<P>Amazing effort. Kudos.<P>PC
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Please don't forget to keep spare copies of this thread on individual HHDs - just in case!!
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

a little short on time right now but will post soon.. so UP..
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Quincy, <BR>Rikhye can publish his work as an e-novel on BR if the Webmasters agree. Please invite him to the forum. It is interesting what he is working on. There are parallel efforts on that theme especially after the May '98 events. Will contact Rupak to see if we can serialize it on BRM.
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

Q.Quincy,<P>There are several reports at the Defence Journal Site, by officers that speak of their days in the army. <P>These accounts contain details of the corps architecture (often below the divisional level), is this susceptible to change? <P>Does the structure of a division change? <P>As an example look at this.. <BR> <A HREF="http://www.defencejournal.com/june98/wayitwas.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.defencejournal.com/june98/wayitwas.htm</A> <BR>(credibility)(positive-affirmative)<P>"When I joined 23 Cavalry, the regiment was in the 10 Division reserve, part of 22 Brigade." <P>"23 Cavalry remained the integral regiment of 10 Division and remained in Lahore. Initially it was allotted the 24 Cavalry lines near the Stadium but later it was decided that it would be easier to move the regiment to the border if it was housed closer to the border and was moved to dilapidated ordnance warehouses in Harbanspura."<P>"Early in February 1967, Lieutenant Colonel Mohammed Hayat, SJ, Frontier Force Rifles, later brigadier, took over the command of the 2nd Commando Battalion. He had won his SJ at Zafarwal commanding 4 FF. "<P>"I had to report to 22 Cavalry at Multan At Multan Major Shah Rafi Alam, SJ, later lieutenant general, met me at the airport and took me to 4 Armoured Brigade Headquarters"<P>". On arrival at Multan I learnt that 22 Cavalry was in Dera Ghazi Khan taking part in<BR>an exercise, I got a jeep from the regiment and drove to Dera Ghazi Khan arriving late in the evening. The exercise had ended, the next morning I attended the 'post mortem' and left for the 22 Cavalry camp in Muzaffargarh. "<P>how accurate is this likely to be? because there is a lot of positive-affirmative material here.. <BR>
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

Q.Quincy, <P>Thanks for your prompt reply. I have been rather busy lately, but i shall find the time to read through BRIG (Retd) ZA Khans material. It should offer us at least a first order approximation to what is the structure of the PA. <P>I shall also download all the articles and store them for future reference. <P>