BRFite

PA Corps and Commanders - II

Post by Sunil »

Did anyone have the old thread archived.. the one from the last forum? <P>
Sunil
BRFite

Re: PA Corps and Commanders - II

Post by Sunil »

Outline Plan <BR>From <A HREF="http://www.vijayinkargil.org/features/feature6.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.vijayinkargil.org/features/feature6.html</A> <P>"The plan, which was simple, was made by creating four independent groups from four infantry battalions and two companies of Special Service Group which were already located in the FCNA. These were: - <P>4 NLI Battalion, the FCNA reserve located in Gilgit. <BR>6 NLI Battalion ex 62 Infantry Brigade located at Skardu. <BR>5 NLI Battalion ex 82 Infantry Brigade located at Minimarg. <BR>3 NLI ex 323 Infantry Brigade located at Dansam. <BR>Special Service Group (SSG). The two companies of SSG were to be allotted in smaller teams varying from 32 to 94 numbers among the four Battalions. "<P><BR>
P Smith
BRFite -Trainee

Post by P Smith »

Ref to NLI being made a regiment - <A HREF="http://www.pakdef.com/army/news8.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.pakdef.com/army/news8.html</A> . Amidst a lot of impressive delusions it is mentioned that,<P>"In recognition of the historic bravery demonstrated during the Kargil battle by the men and officers of Northern Light Infantry (NLI), the Corps Commander gave it a regiment status. Major General Javed Hasan the Director General for FCNA, who had headed the operation, also received laurels."<P>There's an interesting article on the history of the NLI and its ethnic makeup - <A HREF="http://www.expressindia.com/ie/daily/19 ... 24078.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.expressindia.com/ie/daily/19 ... 78.html</A> <BR>
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

mining PSmith's cool source. <A HREF="http://www.expressindia.com/ie/daily/19 ... 24078.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.expressindia.com/ie/daily/19 ... 78.html</A> <P>"According to information gleaned from Pakistan Army manuals and released by the Corps HQs here, the NLI is a 14-battalion-strong force. Three more battalions -- the 15, 16 and 17 NLI -- are being raised. Of these, the 3, 4, 5 and 7 battalions took part in the intrusion across the Batalik-Chorbatla-Turtuk sectors. <P> Elements of the 12 NLI occupied Tiger Hill and the Mushkoh Valley while the 6 and 11 NLI were spread across the Drass-Tololing-Kaksar sectors. <P>The mystery of the multiplicity of languages in Pakistani radio intercepts is explained by the diversity of the NLI's ethnic composition. According to the manual, the NLI sepoys are drawn from eight major ethnic groups: the Baltees, Shins, Yashkuns, Mughals, Kashmiris, Pathans, Ladakis and Turks who speak the dialects of Balti, Shina, Brushaki, Khawer, Wakhi, Turki, Pushto, Urdu and Persian.<P>Despite the Northern Areas holding a very small population, the land presents a very diverse picture -- there are four Muslim sects. Of the NLI sepoys, 49 per cent are Shias and 18 per cent Sunnis, while the Ismailees and Noor Bakhshis make up 23 and 10 per cent respectively.Fifty-five per cent of the sepoys come from Gilgit while 35 per cent hail from Baltistan. Most of the officers who led the NLI battalions in Kargil were from other regiments and included Punjabis, Mohajirs and Pathans.<P>Backed by NLI mountain artillery batteries comprising six each of the 105 British field guns, 25-pounders and 122 mm Chinese field guns, the infantry sneaked into Kargil's harsh terrain fully acclimatised and ready for warfare at high altitudes. Among the qualities of the NLI extolled by the Pakistani Army manuals that came into Indian hands in the Kargil intrusion were repulsing enemy attack by fire and counter-attack, seizing and holding ground and conducting independent operations on a limited scale.<P>The NLI is deployed extensively in Pakistan-Occupied Kashmir under the Force Commander Northern Areas (FCNA) and forms the bulk of the battalions under the Minimarg-based 80 Infantry Brigade, the Skardu-based 62 Infantry Brigade and the 323 Infantry Brigade at Siachen. In 1985, fourbattalions were raised for deployment in the Siachen Glacier. <P>The NLI operates in close conjunction with three Scouts formations -- the Chitral Scouts, Hunza Scouts and Gilgit Scouts -- who perform the important task of rear area security. These are three of the 15-20 Scouts formations that Pakistan has, in contrast to fewer such formations in the Indian Army (like the Ladakh Scouts). ``Unlike he Indian paramilitary, the Scouts operate in their local areas, are equipped with the weaponry of the Army and also participate in Pakistan Army exercises,'' explained a Field Commander deployed in Kargil.<P>....During the 1880s, following the annexation of the North West Frontier Province, the British Army raised the Pakistan militia and the Scouts by recruiting local tribals for gatheringinformation and protecting its flanks.<P>Later, the role of the militia/scouts was changed to picketing and guarding of routes well before the military force was launched. After 1947, the militia/scouts were reorganised and equipped with modern weapons and in 1973 the HQs Northern Scouts, along with its scout wings -- the Karakoram Scouts, Northern Scouts and Gilgit Scouts -- were reorganised as NLI battalions and placed under the Ministry of Defence. In 1993, the NLI battalions were organised into regular battalions of the Pakistan Army with the Regimental Centre at Bunji near Gilgit.<BR> <P><BR>
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

from PDNB Sept 99-A. <P>PM to present Regimental Flag to Northern Light Infancty (NLI) <P>8 September 1999 <P>ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Pervaiz Musharraf will visit Skardu today to <BR>hand over the Regimental Flag to the Northern Light Infantry (NLI). The NLI, formerly a paramilitary force, has been upgraded as a full-fledged regiment of Pakistan Army because of the extremely significant role it played in the Kargil battle. <P>On Independence Day, when the government announced military honours for people killed in the Kargil conflict, most of the top awards went to the NLI. Soon after it was decided to elevate the regiment to a full-fledged unit of the army. <P>
Bishwa
BRFite

Post by Bishwa »

Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

I have compared a list of pakistani officer KIA according to indian army(armyinkashmir site), with the list of battle awards present at the PakDef site, just to see what pans out. I have left out the NLI and tried to flesh out other PA regiments and battalions that saw action in Kargil. <P>From the list of dead officers at the IA site we can see the following bn numbers.<P>1) Sindh (25) <BR>2) FF(1,63) <BR>3) SSG(1,3) <BR>4) POK(13)<BR>5) Baloch(60)<P>This can now be added to the regimental list obtained from TF Mills. His list reads. <P>Infantry <BR>The Punjab Regiment (19, 20, 22, 24, 25, 26,<BR>27, 28, 30, 31, 33, 40, 62, 66, 76, 82)<BR> <BR>The Baluch Regiment (89, 90, 91, 92, 93, <BR>124, 126, 127, 129, 130)<BR> <BR>The Frontier Force Regiment (51, 52, 53, <BR>55, 56, 58, 59). <BR> <BR>The Azad Kashmir Regiment 1971 (?)<BR> <BR>The Sind Regiment 1980 (?)<BR> <BR>The Special Service Group 1959(?) <P>The NLI (?,3,4,5,6,7,?,11,12,?,15,16,17- 14 bns in all)<BR> <BR>On the list of Officers KIA the following officers do not have regimental data but by comparision to the the pakdef site, we can establish the regimental affiliations of most of the KIA, the data from PakDef is presented in brackets. <P>Capt. Farooq 03/06 (No Data)<BR> <BR>Capt Mehmood Tariq 04/06 (listed as Major Tariq Mahmood FF)<P>Capt Inam 04/06 (No Data)<P>Capt Nasir Hameed 04/06 (No Data) <P>Capt Raja Inamullah 08/06 (Captain Inamullah Punjab) <P>Capt Mohammad Ozair 12/06 (Listed as Captain Muhammad Uzair Avn )<BR> <BR>Capt Said Ahmed Khan (Listed as: Captain Saeed Ahmed Khan Sindh ) <P>Capt Jamal Akbar (Listed as: Captain Jamal Akbar AK) <BR> <BR>Brigadier Nusrat Khan Sial (Punjab) <P>Maj Muhammad Ali Hyderi, 2 Wing, CS 16/06 (Listed as:Maj Muhammad Ali Hyderi Baloch) <P>Capt Zulfikar Ali, 2 Wing, CS 16/06 (Listed as Captain Zulfiqar Ali Khan Arty)<P>Capt Imran (?) S&T Bn 09/07 (No Data) <BR>Capt Imtiaz, 69 Fd Regt 13/07 (No Data)<BR>Lt Imtiaz Malik, 165 Fd Regt 13/07 (No Data) <P>Questions that come to mind at this point. <P>1) What is the S&T Bn?<BR>2) What is/are the 69,165 Fd Regt? <BR>3) What is 2 Wing CS? <BR>4) What is Avn? <P>The list of officers who were given awards posthumuously is (excluding NLI) <P>Major Abdul Wahab NLI-Baloch (Posthumous) <BR>Major Muhammad Arshad Hashim AK (posthumous) <BR>Capt Ahsan Wasim Sadiq Arty (posthumous) <BR>Capt Farhat Haseeb Haider Pun(posthumous) <BR>Capt Muhammad Ammar HussainFF(posthumous) <BR>Capt Sardar Izhar Haider Baloch(posthumous) <BR>Lt Faisal Zia Ghumman FF (posthumous) <BR>Maj Muhammad Sohail Arif Punjab(posthumous) <BR>Major Muhammad Asadullah Sindh (posthumous) <BR>Major Ahmed Khan Tiwana FF (posthumous) <BR>Captain Muhammad Khalil Arty (posthumous) <BR>Captain Sajid Hussain Arty (posthumous) <BR>Captain Qazi Jawwad Ikram KA (posthumous) <BR>Lieutenant Azam Iqbal Sindh (posthumous) <BR>Hdar Muhammad Shabbir Assi Avn(posthumous) <BR>Nk Muhammad Hafiz Engineers (posthumous) <BR>Up-Lnk Rab Nawaz Engineers (posthumous) <BR>Up-Lnk Muhammad Arshad Engineers(posthumous) <BR>Major Jawed Iqbal Baloch (posthumous) <BR>Captain Jawed Iqbal Arty (posthumous) <BR>Captain Amir Ali AC (posthumous) <BR>Captain Muhammad Asghar AK (posthumous) <BR>Captain Abdul Malik FF (posthumous)<BR>Captain Taimur Malik AK (posthumous) <P>Here we observe that the number of officers from the Punjab regiment are either very senior or very few in number. I therefore feel inclined to conclude that the Punjab Regiment did not see much action in the Kargil Conflict. The brunt of the fighting was borne by NLI, followed by FF, then POK regt, and then Sindh and Baloch. It is however possible that officers were seconded from the regiments to the NLI, a case this data cannot offer much insight. <P><BR>Source: <A HREF="http://www.pakdef.com," TARGET=_blank>www.pakdef.com,</A> <A HREF="http://www.armyinkashmir.org." TARGET=_blank>www.armyinkashmir.org.</A> <P>[This message has been edited by sunil sainis (edited 14-06-2000).]<p>[This message has been edited by sunil sainis (edited 15-06-2000).]
Bishwa
BRFite

Post by Bishwa »

Sunil,<BR> The NLI is officered by people on deputation from other regiments. Something like the Assam Rifles.<P>2) What is/are the 69,165 Fd Regt? <BR> Must be field arty regiments<BR> <BR>4) What is Avn? <BR> Must be aviation<BR> <P><BR>
dsandhu
BRFite

Post by dsandhu »

After the exceptional thread on Pak corps, divs and brigades, why are we wasting lines on Paki Kargil dead( listing their names and awards etc)?<P>Would it not be better for both the BR members and the BR Admins if one lists out the Ashoka Chakra Winners for the Indian Army along with The MVC winners staring from the 1948 war, then 1962 , 1965, 1971, IPKF and Siachen?<P>Lets stop adding Pakis names for Kargil war to our good old BR site.<P><BR>JAI JAWAN<BR>JAI HIND<P>
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

dsandhu,<P>the PA-Corps and Commanders thread from the last forum was lost. <P>I am trying to spark of the same discussion, an examination of the dead is of relevance in this context as this provides Bn numbers for the Sindh, FF, AK and Arty regiments. Information i do not recall having earlier. <BR>By establishing who suffered casualties in the Kargil conflict it is also possible to predict who is likely to have new raisings. <BR>( we know for a fact the NLI has had new raisings, i feel the FF and AK regt are next in line for new raisings).<P>The parts of the last thread which i can recall were. <P>1) Shift of XXXI Corps from bhawalpur to Panno Aqil. <P>2) 7th Divsion moved to Dras-Kargil. <P>3) Lt. Gen. Saaed-uz-Zafar moved from CC 11 Corps Peshawar to Commandant National Defence College. <P>4) Lt.Gen. Imtiaz Shaheen takes over as CC 11th Corps Peshawar. <P>5) The existance of a new division (no. 57 or 60). <P>6) Some of the infanty brigades had changed hands, this was collated from inputs by Shri. Mandeep Singh, and Shri. Ravi Rikhye. <P>7) Jayji had picked up something from the Indian Defence Yearbook 2000. <P>8) Brian Cloughley's article for JDW stating the nature of the pakistani doctrine of the Riposte and more importantly, the raising of the `Composite Missile Regiment' at Kharian in 1989. (This was listed in the section under nuclear assets). <P>9) Joga had presented the FCNA brigade list from shri. Afsir Karims book.<P>10) Brig. Quershi of ISPR was promoted to Maj. Gen. Quershi of ISPR. <P>11)Appointment of Lt-Gen Ali Mohammad Jan Aurakzai, Adjutant General. <P>12) and a news item about 5 Maj. Gen. officers being promoted to Lt. Gen. <P>[This message has been edited by sunil sainis (edited 15-06-2000).]<p>[This message has been edited by sunil sainis (edited 15-06-2000).]
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

This is the last OB i have. <P>Senior Officer changes. <P>1)Lt-Gen Ali Mohammad Jan Aurakzai, Adjutant General<BR>2) lt. Gen. Saeed-uz-Zafar Chaudhary moved from CC (peshawar) to Comm. NDC. <P><B> 1 Corps (Mangla)</B>(Lt.Gen Tauqir Zia)<P>6 Armd Div (Kharian)<BR>7 Armd Bde (Kharian)<BR>9 Armd Bde (Kharian)<P>17 Inf Div (Kharian)<BR>77 Inf Bde (Kharian)<BR>207 Inf Bde (Kharian)<BR>315 Inf Bde (Kharian)<BR>? Inf Bde (?)<BR>? Inf Div (?)<BR>? Inf Bde (?)<BR>? Inf Bde (?)<BR>? Inf Bde (?)<P><B> 2 Corps (Multan)</B> (Lt.Gen Yousuf Khan)<P>1 Armd Div (Multan)<BR>4 Armd Bde (Multan)<BR>5 Armd Bde (Multan)<P>37 Inf Div (Gujranwala)<BR>88 Inf Bde (Gujranwala)<BR>? Inf Bde (?)<BR>? Inf Bde (?)<BR>10 (I) Armd Bde (Multan)<BR>? (I)Inf Bde (?)<P><B>4 Corps (Lahore)</B>(Lt.Gen Khalid Maqbool,Maj Gen Tariq Majid,Maj Gen Javaid Ahmed)<P>10 Inf Div (Lahore)<BR>22 Inf Bde (Lahore)<BR>103 Inf Bde (Lahore)<BR>104 Inf Bde (Lahore)<P>11 Inf Div (Lahore)<BR>21 Inf Bde (Lahore)<BR>52 Inf Bde (Lahore)<BR>106 Inf Bde (Lahore)<P>40 Inf Div (Okara)<BR>? Inf Bde (?)<BR>? Inf Bde (?)<BR>? Inf Bde (?)<BR>3 (I) Armd Bde (Lahore)<BR>? (I)Inf Bde (?)<P><B> 5 Corps (Karachi)</B><P>18 Inf Div (Malir-Karachi)(Divisional brigades prob. at Aqil)(Lt.Gen Muzaffar H Usmani)<BR>? Inf Bde (?)<BR>? Inf Bde (?)<BR>? Inf Bde (?)<P>16 Inf Div (?)(Division may have relocated to Dadu)<BR>34 Inf Bde (Chaman)<BR>70 Inf Bde (Khuzdar)<BR>61 Inf Bde (Quetta)<BR>2 (I) Armd Bde (Malir)<BR>31 (I) Inf Bde (Malir)<P><B>10 Corps (Rawalpindi)</B>(Lt.Gen Janshed Gulzar<P>12 Inf Div (?)<BR>1 AK Bde (Dubail)<BR>5 AK Bde (Gujral)<BR>6 AK Bde (Bagh)<BR>26 Inf Bde (Aliabad)<BR>32 Inf Bde (Khel)<BR>75 Ind Bde (Mandra)<P>19 Inf Div (Jhelum)<BR>2 AK Bde (Rawalkot)<BR>3 AK Bde (Kotli)<BR>7 AK Bde (Jarikhas)<P>23 Inf Div (Akhnur)<BR>4 AK Bde (Bhimbar)<BR>20 AK Bde (Chhamb)<BR>28 AK Bde (Mangla)<BR>66 AK Bde (Tanda)<P>FCNA(Maj Gen Javed Hasan)<BR>62 Inf Bde (Skardu)(6/7 NLI,11)<BR>80 Inf Bde (Minimarg)(5NLI,12NLI(?))<BR>170(?) Inf Bde (Gilgit)(FCNA Reserve 4NLI)<BR>323 Inf Bde (Dansam)(3NLI)<P>(Note. 15NLI,16NLI,17NLI are new raisings which serve to increase pakistani presence in the area. The 6,11,12 NLI, which suffered heavy losses in the Kargil Conflict, have also (most likely) been reconstituted)<P>111 (I) Inf Bde (Rawalpindi)(Maj.Gen Salahudin Satti)<BR>? (I) Armd Bde (?)<P><B>11 Corps (Peshawar)</B> (Lt.Gen Imitiaz Shaheen)<P>7 Inf Div (Peshawar)(NOW BELIEVED TO BE AT DRAS)<BR>6 Inf Bde (Khar)<BR>27 Inf Bde (Landi Khotal)<BR>102 Inf Bde (Peshawar)<P>9 Inf Div (Mardan)<BR>73 Inf Bde (Thal)<BR>116 Inf Bde (Miran Shah)<BR>117 Inf Bde (Kohat)<BR>? (I) Inf Bde (?)<P><B>12 Corps (Quetta)</B>(Lt.Gen Mushtaq Hussein,Maj Gen Shaid Hamid )<P>16 Inf Div (Quetta)<BR>? Inf Bde (?)<BR>? Inf Bde (?)<BR>? Inf Bde (?)<P>33 Inf Div (Quetta)<BR>29 Inf Bde (Zhob)<BR>60 Ind Bde (?)(At Rahim Yar Khan earlier)<BR>205 Inf Bde (Quetta)<P>41 Inf Div (?)<BR>? Inf Bde (?)<BR>? Inf Bde (?)<BR>? Inf Bde (?)<BR>? (I) Inf Bde (?)<BR>? (I) Armd Bde (?)<P><B> 30 Corps (Gujranwala)</B>(Lt.Gen Agha Jehangir Ali Khan)<P>8 Inf Div (Sialkot)<BR>14 Para Bde (Sialkot)<BR>24 Inf Bde (Sialkot)<BR>124 Inf Bde (Sialkot)<P>15 Inf Div (Sialkot)<BR>10 Inf Bde (Sialkot)<BR>101 Inf Bde (Sialkot)<BR>114 Inf Bde (Sialkot)<BR>313 Inf Bde (Sialkot)<BR>54 (I) Inf Bde (Sialkot)<BR>8 (I) Armd Bde (?)<P><B> 31 Corps (Panno Aqil)</B><P>14 Inf Div (Bhawalpur)<BR>23 Inf Bde<BR>74 Inf Bde<BR>105 Inf Bde<P>35 Inf Div (Bhawalpur) (Mave been moved around)<BR>25 Inf Bde<BR>53 Inf Bde<BR>57 Inf Bde<BR>? (I) Inf Bde (?)<BR>? (I) Armd Bde (?)<P>(edited 15-06-2000).]<BR>(edited 20-06-2000).]<p>[This message has been edited by sunil sainis (edited 29-06-2000).]
Bishwa
BRFite

Post by Bishwa »

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Base/ ... stance.jpg" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Base/ ... nce.jpg</A> <p>[This message has been edited by Rakesh Koshy (edited 24-06-2000).]
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

Bishwa <P>that map is nice. is it possible to reduce the size and put a key- i.e meaning of symbols for example a soldier could mean 1 infantry division, a tank=one armoured div. <P>Is it possible to mess around with the map and what is the source? <P>One more thing.. there are some documents presented in annexure 4 at the kargil site maintained by the 15 Corps formation (the armyinkashmir site), is it possible for ANYONE to obtain hard copies of those documents/Aliter present higher resolution gifs of the following documents at the site. <P>The documents i would like to look at are. <P>1) Captured Leave Certificates of 5 NLI & 12 NLI<P>2) Document published from General Headquarters Rawalpindi During March 1999<BR> <BR>3) List of pass words issued by 80 Infantry Brigade and Communication Security instruction of 4 NLI<P>4) Secret list of code words used by Pak Army (captured from Kaksar area)<P>5) Document of handing/taking over of an administration base of 5 NLI<P>6) Document revealing Pak preparation to induct 11 NLI on 25 June 1999<BR> <BR>7) Whose Loss was it any way?(a letter written by Maj. Gen Javaid Ashraf Khan at Staff College Quetta to a pakistani officer<BR>Maj. Saeed Ahmed Nagra(60 Baloch) later KIA)<P>8) Personal diary of Lt Md Maaz Ullah Khan Sumbal of 8 NLI<P><p>[This message has been edited by sunil sainis (edited 15-06-2000).]
Bishwa
BRFite

Post by Bishwa »

Sunil,<BR><I> that map is nice. is it possible to reduce the size and put a key </I><P><I> Is it possible to mess around with the map and what is the source? </I><P> This map appeared in India-Today IIRC last year. I found this scan on the web and posted a IMG SRC. <BR>IIRC the original India-Today had a key with it.<BR> Yes it should be possible to reduce the size and mess around with it.<P> In this map<BR>1. A blue flag represents a strike corps<BR>2. A tank and 2 troops represent a corps<BR>3. An aircraft represents a air base <p>[This message has been edited by bishwa (edited 15-06-2000).]
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

From a recent email exchange. <P>1) CS stands for Chitral Scouts. <P>2) the lost bn's of the NLI will just be re-constituted. and the 15,16,17 are expansions in the military manpower in the area. <P>(i have changed this in my earlier post). <P>3) T.F. Mills bn numbers are for the joint army pre 1947. Pakistan started off with new numbers. <P>so guess the scheme i had suggested was wrong. <P><BR>
Mandeep
BRFite

Post by Mandeep »

I've learnt from reliable sources that the PA has recently raised 2 new indep armd bdes, namely 11&13. There have been no new raisings of armd regts but withdrawal of some units from over-strength bdes like 3 at lahore has enabled the PA to utilise these for the new bdes.
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

Mandeep,<P>Good to hear from you again, do you know perhaps which formations these new Armd Bdes have been attached to? also in the last thread you had spoken about the transfer of 35th Infantry division to some other formation do you recall what you had post there? if so please re-post it. I unfortunately do not have the old thread saved on my disk. <P>The present state of armd brigades is as follows. <P>(I-Corps) <BR>6 Armd Div(Kharian)<BR>-- 7 Armd Bde. <BR>-- 9 Armd Bde. <P>(II-Corps)<BR>1 Armd Div(Multan)<BR>-- 4 Armd Bde.<BR>-- 5 Armd Bde. <BR>-- 10(I)Armd Bde (Multan). <P>(IV-Corps)<BR>-- 3(I)Armd Bde(Lahore). <P>(V-Corps)<BR>-- 2(I) Armd Bde.(Malir). <P>(X-Corps)<BR>-- ?(I) Armd Bde.(?)<P>(XI-Corps)<BR>-- No Armd Bde (?)(?)(?)<P>(XII-Corps)<BR>-- ?(I)Armd Bde(?)<P><BR>(XXX-Corps)<BR>-- 8(I) Armd Bde(?)<P>(XXXI-Corps)<BR>-- ?(I) Armd Bde(?)<P>I count at least 11 Armd Bdes, 7 Indpendent brigades and two brigades each attached to 1st & 6th Armd Div.<P> <BR>
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

undated information from asian defence news international. <BR> <A HREF="http://www.adni-news.com/engmain.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.adni-news.com/engmain.htm</A> <P>It has reliably been learnt from official sources that Pakistan Govt is desperately trying to send a contingent of Pakistan Army as part of United Nations Peace keeping Mission in Kosovo. Pakistan Army has already earmarked elements of 20 Infantry Brigade, comprising 12 Panjab and some other units. <P>The 20th Infantry Bgde? can anyone confirm this? <BR>
Mandeep
BRFite

Post by Mandeep »

Hi Sunil, thanks for the warm welcome. As yet the formations to which these 2 new armd bdes have been tasked are not confirmed.The reason for raising these new bdes is that the PA felt during their war games that the offensive potential of their 2 strike corps employed as GHQ reserves north & south was somewhat lacking. So my guess is that 11 is with I Corps and 13 with II Corps.
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

<A HREF="http://www.timesofindia.com/today/25woru6.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.timesofindia.com/today/25woru6.htm</A> <P>Pak deploys units to handle N-capable missiles <P>NEW DELHI: <P>Pakistan has raised an artillery unit in Rawalpindi to handle its latest long-range ballistic missile -- Ghauri-III -- and has given another unit the responsibility for the M-11 missiles it acquired from China, according to reports reaching here. <P>The reports say that Ghauri-III is capable of carrying an 800 kg warhead. Pakistan has raised a "new unit" in Rawalpindi to specifically handle this missile, they say. <P>The responsibility of Chinese M-11 missiles, 84 of which have been acquired from China, has been given to the <B> 155 composite rocket regiment of the 2 artillery division.</B> The M-11s having a range of 280 km can carry a 500 kg warhead, the experts told a workshop organised by the security think-tank, Security and Political Risk Analysis, here. <P>The reports say that Shaheen-II was being developed to cater mainly to the southern borders, which are not mountainous. <P><B> Hokay.. here is something i was waiting for.. 155 Composite Missile Regt. attached to the 2nd Artillery Division(The name appears to be a derivative of the Chinese name for their Strategic Missile Force.. they call it the 2nd Arty. Regt too). based at Kharian in 1989..(According to Brian C. in JDW)<P>So based on whatever i have read so far.. here is the 2nd Arty OrBat. <P>Second Artillery Division. <P>1) 155 Composite Missile/Rocket Regt. (Kharian,raised 1989). <BR>2) ? Composite Missile/Rocket Regt. <BR>(Rawalpindi,raised 2000). <P><BR></B> <P><p>[This message has been edited by sunil sainis (edited 25-06-2000).]
Mandeep
BRFite

Post by Mandeep »

There is a fierce debate going on in the PA about the neccessity of raising 2 Army HQ to control the northern & southern groups of corps viz Northern Army to control I,XXX and IV Corps and a Southern Army to control II,XXXI and V Corps with GHQ directly controlling X Corps. XI & XII Corps are the reserve corps to be allotted to any sector depending on assessment of need/threat.<BR>Financial constraints have so far precluded the raising of these higher formations but with Musharaf reportedly in favour of the additions these might see the light of day in the near future.
Bishwa
BRFite

Post by Bishwa »

Those two groups will be like our Army Commands I suppose. Ex Northern command with 14,15,16 corps.<P><BR>The Quetta based 12 could act as a backup for their Southern Command and the Peshawar based 11 as the backup for the Northern Command.<P>However I understand these 2 corps already have their areas of operation demarcated on the Indo-Pak border. Infact isnt 1 division of 11 corp stationed opposite Kargil now?<BR>
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

Hi Bishwa,<P>I was under the impression that the 7th Division was across from Dras-Kargil. This was what was said on the last thread. <P>Mandeep and anyone else,<P>what exactly does having two army groups entail? what additional assets if any are likely to be raised? <P>And one more thing... yesterday's dawn carried a news item about two trainees pakistani army aviation plane having to make an emergency landing somewhere near Razmak town in North Waziristan. The pilots and passengers (4 in all) suffered minor injuries, and the area was cordoned off by the `Shawal Rifles'.. who and what are the Shawal Rifles? <P>This incident in itself is odd.. that two airplanes would fall simulataneously out of the sky like that.<P><p>[This message has been edited by sunil sainis (edited 29-06-2000).]
Bishwa
BRFite

Post by Bishwa »

Sunil,<BR> I used 1 for single not division number. yes it is possible that division is no 7.
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

<A HREF="http://www.lacnet.org/suntimes/990606/s ... Pakistan's" TARGET=_blank>http://www.lacnet.org/suntimes/990606/s ... istan's</A> National Defence College, who were concluding a four day visit to Sri Lanka.<P>The team led by directing staff, Brigadier Javed Iqbal Cheema and Brigadier Mohamed Arshad, who had met top military officials and visited defence establishments, had several questions in store, most of them related to the ongoing separatist war.<P>It was made up of Pakistani Student Officers Brigadier Mir Haider Ali Khan, Brigadier Saheer Ahmed Khan, Brigadier Shakeel Tayyab Trimizi, Air Commodore Khalid Hussain, Captain Parvez Asgher (Pakistan Navy), Lt. Col. S. Ithar Houssain Shah, Lt. Col. Muhammed Farook Khattak, Lt. Col. Muhammed Mansur Aslam, Lt. Col. Tughral Yamin, Lt. Col. Agha Muhammed Umer Farooq and Mr. Sultan Nasiruddin. There were also two foreign officers - Colonel L. Emerjuru (Nigeria) and Colonel Abdullah Ali Salem Al Housaini (United Arab Emirates).<P>These guys are getting a little too pally with UAE if you ask me.. <P><BR>
Mandeep
BRFite

Post by Mandeep »

The Shawal Rifles are a para-military force for border security like our BSF but better trained,equipped and led. They form part of the Frontier Corps(NWFP).
Mandeep
BRFite

Post by Mandeep »

Raising 2 new field armies would entail raising HQs,communications,logistics at the very least. In '65 the PA had only one corps HQ therefore causing a very big problem of command and control for their GHQ. In fact a second corps HQ was slated to be raised; HQ IV Corps.The Corps Arty Bde had been raised at Attock under Brig AAK Chaudhary.This bde used effectively as a reserve of fire power by HQ I Corps was the undoing of all our inf assaults on Chawinda.
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

from the dawn. <BR> <A HREF="http://www.dawn.com/2000/07/02/nat20.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dawn.com/2000/07/02/nat20.htm</A> <P>Bosian COAS meeting PA officials. <P>He remained with the defence secretary for sometime and exchanged with him views on matters of professional interest. <P>Earlier, General Delic visited the Joint Services Headquarters and called on Lt Gen Mohammad Naeem Akbar, Director General Joint Services. <P>Bosnian army chief also visited naval and air headquarters where he called on Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Abdul Aziz Mirza and Vice Chief of Air Staff, Air Vice Marshal Mohammad Farooq Qari respectively. <P> Joint Services HQ is in Rawalpindi and is under Lt. Gen. Mohd. Naeem Akbar. but what does this guy do? <P><BR>
Mandeep
BRFite

Post by Mandeep »

The DG Joint Services co-ordinates planning and functions under the Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee currently Gen Musharraf. The Joint Services HQ is at Chaklala a short distance from Rawalpindi.
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

up<P>From the Dawn. <A HREF="http://www.dawn.com/2000/07/05/local8.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dawn.com/2000/07/05/local8.htm</A> <P>HYDERABAD, July 4: The army was able to arrange artificial rain in the drought-stricken Tharparkar desert on Sunday and Monday. <P>According to a press release, issued from <B> the headquarters of the army's 18th division, Hyderabad,</B> on Tuesday, the people of desert areas took a sigh of relief after it rained in their areas on July 2 and 3. <P>The novel experiment was successfully carried out by the army in coordination with the Ministry of Defence, Army Aviation, the Meteorological Department and Plant Protection Division. <P>During the operation,<B> conducted from the base in Chore </B>. As a result, rains were received in Gadra, Kokhrapar, Somo, Ghazi, Banwari, Shakarbo, Chahchro, Ghalla and Umerkot on Sunday and Monday. <P><I>Indicates PA Avn has an Airbase/Air strip at Chore </I> <P>From the Jang. <BR> <A HREF="http://www.jang.com.pk/thenews/index.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.jang.com.pk/thenews/index.html</A> <P>MUZZAFARRABAD. <BR>Director General ISPR Major-General Rashid Qureshi and [/b] Brig Khalid Nawaz [/b] here briefed a team of visiting Indian journalists on violence by Indian military forces on innocent civilians, living near the Line of Control (LoC). It was the first ever interaction between Indian media and Pakistan Army's spokesman and <B> a brigade commander.</B> <P>[This message has been edited by sunil sainis (edited 05-07-2000).]<p>[This message has been edited by sunil sainis (edited 05-07-2000).]
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

up<p>[This message has been edited by Calvin (edited 02-12-2000).]
Mandeep
BRFite

Post by Mandeep »

For offensive/strike operations the PA had 2 GHQ reserves ;the Army Reserve North consisting of I Corps with 6 Armd,17 Mech and 35 Inf Divs and a mech inf hvy anti tk bde, an armd bde and an inf bde and Army Reserve South consisting of II Corps with 1 Armd,14 Mech,2 Arty and 40 Inf Divs and a mech inf hvy anti tk bde and a armd and inf bde each. Now they also have an Army Reserve Centre comprising HQ XI Corps with 9 Inf Div and an indep armd bde.This would be deployed in the general area Sheikhupura as a counter-offensive reserve should the Indian Armed Forces attempt an attack towards the general line Lahore-Kasur-Dipalpur. Alternatively this can be switched to follow-up the ARN or ARS offensives towards Pathankot-Basohli or Bathinda-Sirsa.
vmshete
BRFite -Trainee

Post by vmshete »

Why do we have to feel sorry about those ******* TSP soldiers who occupied our land just to die there and were not even accepted by their government. NLI has been the most ignored section of entire TSP army. Only after Kargil did it gained some recognition.
Mandeep
BRFite

Post by Mandeep »

The Pak Army will probably have some surprises up it's sleeve in the field of Electronic Warfare. They have an electronic warfare company attached to each div now.
Mandeep
BRFite

Post by Mandeep »

Any discussion of the Pak ORBAT must take into consideration their para military forces which are much more effective than ours,better led,better trained and better motivated. What can one expect from our police-officer led forces like the BSF and the ITBP?
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

hi mandeep,<P>I regret not being able to post on this thread for the past few days. <P>so let me start by re-organising some of the information you put up. <P>For offensive/strike operations the PA had 2 GHQ reserves ;<BR>the Army Reserve North <P>I Corps<BR>6 Armd,<BR>17 Mech Inf. <BR>35 Inf Div <BR>mech inf bde<BR>hvy anti tk bde, <BR>an armd bde <BR>an inf bde <BR>(possible offensive sector Pathankot-Basohli)<P>Army Reserve South <P>II Corps <BR>1 Armd,<BR>14 Mech Inf Div,<BR>2 Arty <BR>40 Inf Divs <BR>mech inf bde<BR>hvy anti tk bde <BR>a armd <BR>inf bde <BR>(Bathinda-Sirsa)<P>Army Reserve Centre <BR>HQ XI Corps <BR>9 Inf Div <BR>indep armd bde.<BR>(Deployed in the general area of Sheikupura alternatively this can be switched to follow-up the ARN or ARS offensives).<P><BR>Regarding the Heavy anti Tank bdes..<P>Their units are equipped with the following. <P>1) Baktar Shikan/NORINCO Red Arrow 8. <P>2) Hughes Missile Systems BGM-71 TOW(Atop tracked M901s - about 24 in service with PA)<P>3) Euromissile MILAN(either Jeep mounted or atop their M113s)<P>4) RPG-7 weapon system. <P><BR>Also here is the Paramilitary OrBat I have so far. <P>1) National Guard (185,000 Personnel)<P>1a)Janbaz Force, <BR>1b)Mujahid Force, <BR>1c)National Cadet Corps, <BR>1d)Women Guards <P> <BR>2) Frontier Crops (Ministry of Interior)(35,000 personnel)(Hq. Baloachistan)<P>Asset list. <P>Aircraft.<BR>Bell 206(at Dhamial) 1 (Source World Air Power Journal)<P>Ground Vehicles.<BR>UR-416 APC 45<P><BR> <BR>3) Pakistan Rangers ( Ministry of Interior ) <BR>(35,000 personnel)<P>11 Regiments ( 40 Battalions ) <BR>1 Independent armoured car squadron <P>4) Gilgit and Chitral Scouts. <P>5) South Waziristan Scouts. <P>6) Shawal Rifles. <P>7) Zhoab Militia. <P>(need more time to put this together). <P>also from PNBD. (Feb 2000)<P>The article i was talking about in an earlier post. <P><BR>Five Major Generals promoted as Lt. General <P>ISLAMABAD - Five Major-Generals of Pakistan Army have been promoted to the rank of Lt General and all of them are likely to be posted against key positions. <P>The five Major General promoted to the rank of Lt General include Lt General Imtiaz Shaheen, Lt General Ali Muhammad Jan Aurekzai, Lt General Abdul Qayyum, Lt General Hamid Nawaz Khan and Lt General Ghulam Ahmad Khan. Some of these newly promoted Lt Generals are likely to be appointed as Corps Commanders and other key posts in the Pakistan Army, as some of the corps commanders are expected to retire in the coming months. <P>The newly promoted Lt Generals were already serving in key posts as major generals. Lt General Imtiaz Shaheen is serving as Commandant Pakistan Military Academy, Lt General Ali Muhammad Jan Aurekzai is serving as Deputy Chief of General Staff, Lt General Abdul Qayyum is serving as Chairman of Pakistan Ordnance Factories Wah and Lt General Ghulam Ahmad Khan is serving in the key post in the ISI. All the five newly promoted Lt Generals , later paid a courtesy call on Chief Executive General Pervez Musharraf on Friday. The Chief Executive congratulated the General officers on their promotion. Meanwhile,according to another report newl promoted Lt General Ghulam Ahmad has been appointed Chief of Staff of Chief Executive. Rear Admiral Mahmood Ali has been promoted to the rank of Vice Admiral and appointed as Vice Chief of Naval Staff. This was officially notified here Friday. Vice Admiral Mahmood Ali Joined the Pakistan Navy in 1962 and was commissioned in the Operation Branch in 1966. He is a navigation specialist, a graduate of PN Staff College and National Defence College of Pakistan. <P>He has been the commander Naval Aviation. His sea commands include the command of a destroyer and that of the Mine Sweeping Squadron. He has also served Commander Pakistan Fleet and Commander Karachi. His staff appointments include Commodore Sea Training, Chief Staff Officer to Commander Karachi, Chief Executive National Tanker Company and Deputy Chief of Naval Staff (Operations) at Naval Headquarters. Prior to appointment as Vice Chief of Naval Staff, he was holding the office of Chief of Staff at Naval headquarters. <P>He is recipient of Hilal-e-Imtiaz (Military) and Sitara-e- Basalat. Air Vice Marshals, Pervez Iqbal Mirza and Riazuddin Shaikh have been promoted to the rank of Air Marshal, a notification of the Ministry of Defence said here Friday. Air Marshal Pervez Iqbal Mirza was born in 1948 and received his early education at PAF Public School Lower Topa. He was commissioned in Pakistan Air Force on January 22, 1967. He progressed as a fighter pilot and commanded a fighter Squadron a Fighter Wing and a Operational PAF Base during his career. He has qualified Defence Management course, PAF Staff College course, General Staff and Command Course from Germany, and Armed Force War course. He has also held a number of important Staff appointments which include Commandant Air War College, Senior Air Staff Officer Southern Air Command, Assistant Chief of the Air Staff (Operations), Director General (Logistics) JSHQ. <P>Inspector General Air Force and Air Officer Commanding Northern Air Command. His foreign assignment includes deputation to Abu Dhabi. Presently he is developed as Air Officer Commanding Southern Air Command. In recognition of his of his outstanding services he has been awarded Hilal-e-Imtiaz (Military) and Tamgha-e-Basalat by the Government of Pakistan. Air Marshal Riazuddin Shaikh was born in 1947 at Hyderabad Sindh and received his early education at St Bonaventure High School Hyderabad. He was commissioned in the G D (P) Branch on July 02, 1967 and commenced his career as a fighter pilot in the Pakistan Air Force. Apart from his service achievements he has qualified Flight Safety Officers Course from USA. Combat Commanders Course, PAF Staff College course and War Course from France. He has commanded a Fighter Squadron, a Fighter Wing and an Operational Base. His staff appointments include Director Flight Safety, Director of Operations, Senior Air Staff Officer of a regional Air Command, Deputy Inspector General Air Force and Air Officer Commanding of Northern Air Command. <P>Presently he is serving as Deputy Chief of the Air Staff (Administration) at Air Headquarters. His foreign assignment includes deputation to Libya. For his meritorious services, Government of Pakistan has awarded him Hilal-e-Imtiaz(Military) and Sitara-e-Basalat. Meanwhile, Brigadier Rashid Qureshi, Director Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR) has been promoted to the rank of Major General and appointed Director General ISPR with immediate effect. Major General Rashid Qureshi was commissioned in the Corps of Artillery in 1971. <P>He served in various units and at Pakistan Military Academy, Kakul, as Platoon Commander, later, in December 77. Rashid was transferred to the Infantry (Frontier Force) Regiment) and held various Staff and Command appointments in the regiment. He is an Honour Graduate of US Infantry School,'Fort Banning. He is also a graduate of Command and Staff College, Quetta and National Defence College Pakistan from where he was awarded M.Sc. (Honours) degree in War Studies. <P>He has been a Brigade Major of an Infantry Brigade. He was seconded to Saudi Arabia as an Advisor on Mechanised Infantry from 1983 to 1985, in Armoured Corps Directorate, Sauid Arabia. He commanded a Mechanised Infantry Battalion, served as General staff Officer Grace One in an Infantry Division and also in Military Operations Directorate, General Headquarters. The newly promoted Rashid Qureshi also commanded an Infantry Brigade in Skardu from 1993 to 1994. He remained Chief of Staff of Mangla Corps from 1994 to 1997 and later commanded another Infantry Brigade in Rawlakot. <P>Major General Qureshi remained Chief of Staff of Mangla Corps from 1994 to 1997 and later commanded another Infantry Brigade in Rawalakot, Azad Kashmir. He remained as Directing Staff, War Wing, Nationel Defence College, Islamabad, and then posted as Director ISPR in November 1998. <P><BR>
Mandeep
BRFite

Post by Mandeep »

The difference between the mech inf hvy a/tk units and the mech inf lt a/tk units is that whereas the former fire their ATGMs from M-113 APCs the latter use jeeps as their weapon platforms.
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

From a very nice link Psmith provided. <BR> <A HREF="http://www.pak.gov.pk/public/govt/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.pak.gov.pk/public/govt/</A> <P>The Paramilitary Organisation is split into the Frontier Corps, and the Pakistan Rangers. <P>The FC is responsible for Balochistan and NFWP, and Pakistan Rangers are responsible for Sindh and Punjab. <P>The FC comprises of various scout and militia forces raised after the consolidation of british rule india.. or more specifically with the establishment of the Durand line. <P>Initially the FC was commanded by a Brigadier and its area extended from Northern areas in Kashmir to Mekran in the south but this was changed in 1947, and the FC was split into the FC(NFWP) and the FC(Balochistan). The units in Gilgit and Hunza were transferred to the army. <P>The Army List is <P>1) Chitral Scouts (1904)(by Feb 1987, its strength was raised to 6 Rifle Wings, a mortar battery and a Headquarters Wing). <BR>2) Karakoram Scouts (1964), <BR>3) Gilgit Scouts. <BR>4) Northern Scouts (1949), <P>Th last three were combined into the NLI which is now the 6th regiment of the PA. <P>The FC list is as follows. <P>FC NFWP.<BR>Headquarters at Peshawar<P>1) Mahsud Scouts (ex Second Mahsud Scouts,1944)<BR>2) Mohmand Rifles <BR>3) Shawal Rifles <BR>4) Thall Scouts (1948), <BR>5) Bajaur Scouts (1961), <BR>7) Kalat Scouts (1965), <BR>8) Dir Scouts (1970), <BR>9)Kohistan Scouts (1977-1981). <BR>10) Khyber Rifles.(ex-Khyber Jezailchis,1878)<BR>11) Kurram Militia(ex-Turi Militia,1902)<BR>12) Tochi Scouts (1904)<BR>13) South Waziristan Scouts(ex-South Waziristan Militia 1900)<P>FC Balochistan.<BR>Headquarters at Quetta <P>1)Zhob Militia (1883), <BR>2)Sibi Scouts, <BR>3)Kalat Scouts, <BR>4)Mekran Militia, <BR>5)Kharan Rifles, <BR>6)Pishin Scouts, <BR>7)Chaghai Militia(1896), <BR>8)Maiwand Rifles (ex First Mahsud Scouts,1937) <BR>9)Ghazaband Scouts, <BR>10)Bhambore Rifles, <BR>11)Loralai Scouts.<P>Most of these forces initially started out as civil militias under the various tribal agencies but after coming under the control of the FC, they have in all probability become more disciplined and professional. <BR>The force is commanded by a Major General these days. <P>The current IGFC(NFWP) is Maj. Gen. Sultan Habib, HI(M) 1997 to date <P><BR>The job of policing the western borders of pakistan initially fell to the <BR>of Punjab Border Police Force i.e Bahawalpur State Police, Khairpur State Police and Sindh Rifles, this force was upgraded in 1958 to the West Pakistan Rangers. In Feb 1959, further reorganisation of this unit took place and it was split into Pak. Rangers(Sindh) and Pak. Rangers(Punjab). After 1971, the force was federalised and renamed Pakistan Rangers. In 1974 it was made a part of the Civil Armed Forces under Ministry of the Interior. In Feb 1959, further reorganisation of this unit took place and it was split into Pak. Rangers(Sindh) and Pak. Rangers(Punjab). <P>PR(Punjab) is commanded by a Maj. Gen. Below him are four border corps, each commanded by a Colonel and each corps consists of wings commanded by a Lieutenant Colonel. <P>The four border corps are.<BR>(The first two are called the Green Belt, and the last two are called the Desert Belt.)<P>1) Chenab Rangers (Headquarters at Sialkot).<BR>Area of Responsibility:-Sialkot - Narowal Sector<BR> <BR> <BR>2) Sutlej Rangers (Headquarters at Lahore.)<BR>Area of Responsibility:-Wagha - Kanganpur Sector<BR> <BR> <BR>3)Desert Rangers.(Headquarters at Bahawalpur)<BR>Area of Responsibility:- Sulemanki – Bahalwalnagar Sector<BR> <BR>4) Cholistan Rangers(Headquarters at Rahim Yar Khan)<BR>Area of Responsibility :- Khanpur and Sadiqabad Sector<P>The command of Rangers troops is mostly entrusted to officers of Pakistan Army (on deputation to Pakistan Rangers) and thereby standards of discipline and conduct are higher. Also a lot of the Rangers are persons from with military service. <P>Pak. Rangers (Sindh) are headquartered at Karachi, it is mainly intended as a reserve police force and for law-enforcement along the highways. It also performs some border security operations and intelligence collection. Presently the Pak.Rangers(Sindh) are heavily tied down in internal security duties in the sindh. The idea behind PR(Sindh) is to ensure that task of law enforcement in the sindh province does not fall on the PA. PR(Sindh) has developed considerable `expertise' in matters of counter terrorism and asset protection over the years of their stay in the sindh.<P>Interms of making simplistic analogies based on division of duties alone.. <P>The PR(Sindh) is like the CRPF, the PR(Punjab) is like the BSF. <P>(please don't read too much into the last comment). <BR> <P>
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

News Digest from the DAWN (For June-July)<BR> <A HREF="http://www.dawn.com/2000/06/26/top3.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dawn.com/2000/06/26/top3.htm</A> <P>JUNE 26 2000.<P>Army Monitoring Team show off.. COs blab... <BR>(it is likely these officers are attached to <BR>IV corps). <P>LAHORE,(IV Corps HQ). Brig Khalid Wyne, the senior staff officer at the Corps Headquarters..<P>OKARA: Brig Haider, head of the army monitoring team deputed at Okara district<P>LAHORE: Col Nadeem of 10-Div Headquarters <P>IRRIGATION: Brig Javed Iqbal, head of army monitoring team in irrigation and education departments<P>COOPERATIVES: Brig Zahid, head of the monitoring team for cooperatives and excise and taxation department<P>CBR: Brig Farzauq Ataullah, head of army monitoring team for the working of the Central Board of Revenue in the Punjab<P>SNGPL: Brig Tahir Saeed Malik said the army team assisted the SNGPL authorities <P>HYDERABAD, June 26: Colonel A.R. Rang, in charge of Army Monitoring Cell (Health), Hyderabad division<BR> <A HREF="http://www.dawn.com/2000/06/30/nat15.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dawn.com/2000/06/30/nat15.htm</A> <P>JUNE 30 2000.<P>AMT(Samjhota Express) in charge Brig Tahir Saeed Malik<P>JULY 6-7 2000.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.dawn.com/2000/07/07/top2.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dawn.com/2000/07/07/top2.htm</A> <P>Corps Commanders review meeting at GHQ Pindi. Attended by all Corps Commanders, PSOs and Mushy. <P>JULY 13 2000<BR> <A HREF="http://www.dawn.com/2000/07/13/nat6.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dawn.com/2000/07/13/nat6.htm</A> <P>LAHORE<BR>Col Najmus Saqib of the monitoring team <P>July 13: <BR> <A HREF="http://www.dawn.com/2000/07/14/nat10.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dawn.com/2000/07/14/nat10.htm</A> <P>LAHORE<P>Major Mohammed Shoaib of the army monitoring team of District West. <P><BR>
Sunil
BRFite

Post by Sunil »

A monthly roundup of articles in the DAWN.<P>August 17. <BR> <A HREF="http://www.dawn.com/2000/08/17/top5.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dawn.com/2000/08/17/top5.htm</A> <P>(Pakistan Rangers Intelligence Unit and its head PRIU Commandant Lt-Col Tafsheen Khan) <P>August 16. <BR> <A HREF="http://www.dawn.com/2000/08/16/top11.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dawn.com/2000/08/16/top11.htm</A> <P>(President confers military awards, LOTS of high ranking PA officers identified). <P>Hilal-i-Imtiaz <P>Army: <P>1 PA 11482 Maj-Gen Ehsanul Haq, AFWC, PSC, G+, AD <P>2 PA 11496 Maj-Gen Ghulam Mustafa, AFWC, PSC, G, Artillery <P>3 PA 11515 Maj-Gen Syed Shujaul Qamar, AFWC, JSSC, PSC, Signals <P>4 PA 11532 Maj-Gen Mohammad Yasin, AFWC, FSC, (A), Sigs <P>5 PA 10695 Maj-Gen Mujtaba Hussain Shah, AFWC, FSC (UK), G, AD <P>6 PA 10720 Maj-Gen Mohammad Shah, AFWC, PSC, PTSC, ASC <P>7 PA 10767 Maj-Gen Khalid Naeem, AFWC, PSC, (L), QS1, AC <P>8 PA 10768 Maj-Gen Khateer Hasan Khan, AFWC, FSC, (UK), G+, AD <P>9 PA 10836 Maj-Gen Mohammad Zubair, SI(M), ndc, JSSC, PSC, Engineer <P>10 PA 100903 Maj-Gen Asad Mahmud Malik, SI(M), C1 Surg, AMC <P>11 PA 100876 Maj-Gen Mahmood Ahmed, SI(M), Msc, C1AH, AMC. <P>Sitara-i-Imtiaz <P>Army: 1 PA 11146 Brig Syed Khurshid Alam, PSCAC <P>2 PA 11622 Brig Shafqat Mahmood, TI(M), AFWC, FSC, (C), AC <P>3 PA 11643 Brig Mian Arshad Iqbal, AFWC, FSC (A), AC <P>4 PA 12449 Brig Muzaffarul Hasan, PSC, Arty <P>5 PA 12459 Brig Waseem Zafar Iqbal, ndc, PSC, G, Arty <P>6 PA 12524 Brig Khalid Khan, PSC, PTSC, G, Arty <P>7 PA 12070 Brig Naeem Ahmad, NDC, FWC (T), PSC, QS1, Arty <P>8 PA 12607 Brig Iftikhar Ahmad Cheema, JSSC, PAC, G, Arty <P>9 PA 12667 Brig Mohammad Ahmad Javaid, PSC, G+, AD <P>10 PA 12460 Brig Mohammad Jawed Khan Alpial, PSC, Engrs <P>11 PA 12475 Brig Mohammad Bahram Khan, PSC, EnGrs <P>12 PA 12549 Brig Asif Khursheed, PSC, PTSC, MIE (Pak), PE Engrs <P>13 PA 11773 Brig Akram Hossain, PSC, TE, Sigs <P>14 PA 12450 Brig Tariq Hamid, AFWC, PSC, Baloch <P>15 PA 12457 Brig Arsalan Ali Khan, PSC, Baloch <P>16 PA 12458 Brig Mohammad Ahsan, AWC, PSC, FF <P>17 PA 11623 Brig Taj Mohammad Khan, NDC (A), AFWC, PSC, PSN, FF <P>18 PA 22645 Brig Ghulam Nabi, PSC, FSC (I), Baloch <P>19 PA 12494 Brig Luqman Aziz Qazi, JSSC, PSC, Avn <P>20 PA 11345 Brig Qayyum Sher Mahsud, PSC, Avn <P>21 PA 12072 Brig Jawaid Akhtar, JSSC, PSC, ASC <P>22 PA 12100 Brig Mohammad Ali Jawaid, NDC, PSC, Ord <P>23 PA 11291 Brig Asif Javed Ghori, PSC, PTSC, EME <P>24 PA 12142 Brig Qamarul Hassan, PSC, PTSC (I), QS1, EME <P>25 PA 12145 Brig Nasir Mahmood, EME <P>26 PA 12280 Brig Bilal Ahmad Khan, EME <P>27 PA 11337 Brig Aziz Ahmed Khan, QS1, AEC <P>28 PA 13468 Col Hamid Ghouse, PSC, AC<P>29 PA 13806 Col Mohammad Sher Khan, SBt, TBt, AC<P>30 PA 13022 Col Bakhtiar Hakeem, PSC, G, Arty <P>31 PA 13536 Col Mohammad Fasihuddin Mehkari, JSSC, PSC, Arty<P>32 PA 13404 Col Shamsuddin Kazi, PSC, Punjab <P>33 PA 13482 Col Qazi Shahraz, PSC, FF <P>34 PA 13864 Col Mohammad Asif Mir, TI(M), PSC, PSC, Sindh <P>35 PA 13320 Col Safdar Hussain, SBt, TBt, Tst, Avn <P>36 PA 13424 Col Abdul Wahid, ISC, CMI <P>37 PA 13823 Col Omear Qayyum, TI (M), Ord <P>38 PA 13599 Col Farooq Ahmad Pasha, PSC, PTSC, EME <P>1 PA 17316 Lt-Col Mohammad Naseem Akhtar, PSC, PTSC, AC <P>2 PA 15980 Lt-Col Asghar Feroze, PSC, LSC, AC <P>3 PA 16294 Lt-Col Sher Mohammad, PSC, Arty <P>4 PA 16889 Lt-Col Liaquat Ali, ISC, G Arty <P>5 PA 16648 Lt-Col Mohammad Saeed Arshad, ISC, G, Arty <P>6 PA 17033 Lt-Col Farakh Mahmood, PSC, G, Arty <P>7 PA 16149 Lt-Col Talat Mahmud, PSC, (L) QS1, G, Arty <P>8 PA 17180 Lt-Col Waseem Rashid, G+, AD <P>9 PA 14498 Lt-Col Naeem Ahmad Kham, TBt, AD <P>10 PA 17161 Lt-Col Majeed Ahmed, Engrs <P>11 PA 16872 Lt-Col Khalid Mahmood, PSC, AMIE (PAK), Engrs <P>12 PA 16639 Lt-Col Zahid Hussain, Engrs <P>13 PA 17234 Lt-Col Shahzad Anwar Bhatti, ISC, Sigs <P>14 PA 17363 Lt-Col Riaz Majeed Malik PSC, PTSC, TE, Sigs <P>15 PA 16414 Lt-Col Ghulam Haider, 1SC, TE, Sigs <P>16 PA 17144 Lt-Col Mohammad Mahmood Butt, PSC, Punjab <P>17 PA 17148 Lt-Col Arshad Ali Rafique, TBt, PSC, ISC, Punjab <P>18 PA 17268 Lt-Col Farhat Pervez Keyani, PSC, Baloch <P>19 PA 17205 Lt-Col Zahoor Ahmad MaliK, PSC, (L) QS1, Baloch <P>20 PA 17310 Lt-Col Ijaz Hussain Mirza, PSC, FF <P>21 PA 17197 Lt-Col Ghulam Haider, PSC, FF <P>22 PA 17279 Lt-Col Rana Mohammad Danyal, PSC, AK <P>23 PA 17252 Lt-Col Syed Abid Hussain Shah, ISC, AK <P>24 PA 15612 Lt-Col Javed Iqbal, PSC, Sindh <P>25 PA 16344 Lt-Col Shahida Younis Yousaf Zai, AVN <P>26 PA 16405 Lt-Col Javad Akhtar, PSC, ISC, G, CMI <P>27 PA 16645 Lt-Col Fazalur Rehman, (L) QS1 ASC <P>28 PA 16523 Lt-Col Mohammad Ashfaq Ali MaliK, ISC, ASC <P>29 PA 16809 Lt-Col Mohammad Jamil, Ord <P>30 PA 17374 Lt-Col Shahzad Ahmed, EME <P>31 PA 16546 Lt-Col Tanweer Hussain, PSC, PTSC, EME <P>32 PA 16769 Lt-Col Mansoor Khan, EME <P>33 PA 15986 Lt-Col Razaur Rahman, AEC <P>34 PA 14502 Lt-Col Mohammad Ramzan, AEC <P>35 PA 15313 Lt-Col Mohammad Akhtar, JAG <P>36 PA 112488 Lt-Col Mrs Azra Mufti <P>37 PA 112577 Lt-Col Raja Sarfaraz Khan, MSC, AMC <P>38 PA 112571 Lt-Col S. Rashid Hussain Jafri, AMC <P>39 PA 112613 Lt-Col Mohammad Ilyas, AMC <P>40 PA 112472 PA 18168 Maj Javed Gul, ISC, AC <P>44 PA 18281 Maj Mohammad Shoaib, 1SC, Arty <P>45 PA 18287 Maj Syed Ishtiaq Hussain Naqvi, PSC, Arty <P>46 PA 17719 Maj Iftikhar Ahmed Khalid Qureshi, ISC, G, Arty <P>47 PA 17891 Maj Mohammad Saleem Gill, ISC, G+, AD <P>48 PA 18356 Maj Rashid Ahmed, AMIE (Pak), EnGrs <P>49 PA 18303 Maj Hafiz Muzaffar Hussain, ISC, AMIE (Pak), Engrs <P>50 PA 18219 Maj Iqbal Mahmood, SiGs <P>51 PA 17960 Maj Mohammad Tahir, ISC, Sigs <P>52 PA 18272 Maj Munawar Ahmad, PSC, Punjab <P>53 PA 18181 Maj Mohammad Rafi, PSC, Baloch <P>54 PA 18224 Maj Syed Moeen Ahsan, PSC, FF <P>55 PA 18300 Maj Jamil Akbar, PSC, FF <P>56 PA 18353 Maj Amjad Hussain, Sindh <P>57 PA 17366 Maj Akram Mahmud Khan, PSC, AVN <P>58 PA 17922 Maj Nisar Ahmed Yousafzai, ASC <P>59 PA 17641 Maj Khalid Iqbal Sahoo, JAG <P>60 PA 113972 Maj Mohammad Abdullah, AMC <P>August 13.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.dawn.com/2000/08/13/top12.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dawn.com/2000/08/13/top12.htm</A> <P>(On Friday, the Chinese delegation visited heavy industries in Taxila. The delegation was received by the director general of heavy industries in Taxila, Lt-Gen Hamid Javed)<P>August 8. <BR> <A HREF="http://www.dawn.com/2000/08/08/nat17.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dawn.com/2000/08/08/nat17.htm</A> <P>(Lt-Col Aftab Ahmad of SSRG-12 and Major Shahid of artillery were coming here from Peshawar by a van with their wives and children. The vehicle skidded off the road in heavy rain and fell into a channel. As a result, Major Sajida Aftab (doctor), Zuhra Aftab, 7; Umar Aftab, 6; Fatima Shahid, 12; two-year-old Umar Shahid; Rabia Aftab and Aisha Shahid died. Bodies of Rabia Aftab and Aisha Shahid had not been recovered till the filing of this report. Major Shahid, his wife Rehana, Lt-Col Aftab Ahmad and little Farooq were admitted to the Attock CMH with serious injuries.) <P>August 8. <BR> <A HREF="http://www.dawn.com/2000/08/06/nat17.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dawn.com/2000/08/06/nat17.htm</A> <P>400 more army personnel(officers and JCOs) inducted into KESC. <P>Thats all for this month, I had a larger post for the month of July, but it was lost due to an accidental erasing. <P>The list of PA officers and staff from their IDay is a pretty nice catch though.. <P>