Google Earth updates more cities and airports in India

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Harry wrote:Alize IN-201 at INS Rajali,

13 04 14 49, 79 40 58 90
Please post the co-ordinates in the correct manner, so a simple 'cut & paste' is required in Google Earth. However those co-ordinates goes to INS Rajali. I don't see an Alize there.

13° 04' 14.49N, 79° 40' 58.90E
Harry
BRFite

Post by Harry »

It isnt very clear but you can just about make out the folded wings. The aircraft is maintained in superb condition.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

There is a mig landing in Tezpur IAF base.

Mig 21 Fishbed. a67 #747 <br>]]></description>
<styleUrl>#18728</styleUrl>
<Point>
<coordinates>92.7760666824,26.70183656890002,0</coordinates>
</Point>
</Placemark>
</Document>
</kml>
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Harry wrote:It isnt very clear but you can just about make out the folded wings. The aircraft is maintained in superb condition.
Harry sir maine chappa chappa chan mara lekin could not find any Alize(only 5 Tu-142's).
Harry
BRFite

Post by Harry »

member_9095
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_9095 »

Interesting picture... can some missile deployment guru confirm if this is a typical missile silo configuration. This is right besides pakistans biggest air field at Sargodha. Ive read that M11s could potentially be deployed here. Are these pictures telling us something?

The central ammunition depot is also somewhere in the field. So could be anything, from missile silos to water sprinkler heads :lol:

http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/pakistan/ ... rgodha.htm

Sargodha Airfield Image:
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4243177
member_9095
BRFite -Trainee

Sargodha Airfield PAK

Post by member_9095 »

Interesting picture... can some missile deployment guru confirm if this is a typical missile silo configuration. This is right besides pakistans biggest air field at Sargodha. Ive read that M11s could potentially be deployed here. Are these pictures telling us something?

The central ammunition depot is also somewhere in the field. So could be anything, from missile silos to water sprinkler heads :lol:

http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/pakistan/ ... rgodha.htm

Sargodha Airfield Image:
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4243177
Vijay J
BRFite

Post by Vijay J »

That is an old sam site at Sargodha.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/internet/1 ... index.html

not a bad idea.. google earth, will go other planets as well.. google moon and the mars may be the next one.. of course no defence or strategic implications of eartheans i guess.
Bolasani
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Bolasani »

SaiK wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/internet/1 ... index.html

not a bad idea.. google earth, will go other planets as well.. google moon and the mars may be the next one.. of course no defence or strategic implications of eartheans i guess.
It already exists for Mars and Moon, currently available only through browser.
Vijay J
BRFite

Post by Vijay J »

Chashnupp1 71.46E,32.39N

next to it is the site Chashnupp2.

Chashma Pu Refining Facility 71.43 E,32.38N.
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

Harry wrote:There seem to be a number of vehicles (s300s?) at Bikaner AF?

23 03 N 73 12 E
Are you sure this is Bikaner ? it seem more towards Ahmedabad ? Just re-check and enlighten us.

Kersi
nikhil_p
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by nikhil_p »

The right co-ords for Bikaner are
28° 4'1.58"N 73°12'15.92"E
Bishwa
BRFite

Post by Bishwa »

At Severodvinsk Russia, one can see a Gorshkov class aircraft carrier being serviced. Look at 64-34-50-53N, 39-48-30-58E

Now the INS Vikramaditya is being serviced there. So it could be that.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Bishwa, there is no Gorshkov Class aircraft carrier. The Admiral Gorshkov comes under the Kiev class of aviation cruisers. Thus the vessel you are seeing could be the Admiral Gorshkov itself. Thanks.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

nikhil_p wrote:The right co-ords for Bikaner are
I think we must NOT give the corrdinates of sites of strategic importance to our country. True they are available quite easliy but we should not hand them on a plattar to those whose interest are against us.

Maybe the Admins must remove the details from such posts
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

nikhil_p
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by nikhil_p »

Kersi D wrote:
nikhil_p wrote:The right co-ords for Bikaner are
I think we must NOT give the corrdinates of sites of strategic importance to our country. True they are available quite easliy but we should not hand them on a plattar to those whose interest are against us.

Kersi, just look around there are websites that actually list the co-ords of every airbase, not only Ours but almost every airforce. All you need to do is a google search. Not to difficult ...is it.
More over i think, rather thought the thread was meant for that, If not then please delete my posts, rather i think the whole thread itself is wrong to have. Admins please delete the whole thread, Big threat, not only airbases but also CIties (which can be prime targets for Missile attacks etc) are listed. Please delete them. Also lets form a group with lawyers etc across the world and petition the judiciaries of various countries to block Google earth, Wikimapia etc.... :wink:
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

nikhil_p wrote:
Kersi D wrote: I think we must NOT give the corrdinates of sites of strategic importance to our country. True they are available quite easliy but we should not hand them on a plattar to those whose interest are against us.

Kersi, just look around there are websites that actually list the co-ords of every airbase, not only Ours but almost every airforce. All you need to do is a google search. Not to difficult ...is it.
More over i think, rather thought the thread was meant for that, If not then please delete my posts, rather i think the whole thread itself is wrong to have. Admins please delete the whole thread, Big threat, not only airbases but also CIties (which can be prime targets for Missile attacks etc) are listed. Please delete them. Also lets form a group with lawyers etc across the world and petition the judiciaries of various countries to block Google earth, Wikimapia etc.... :wink:
Yes there is plenty of data available on net. But we should not make it easy for the undesirable elements by having data in one post / forum. As is it the details available about the air bases, form GE, sems to be mind boogling to me. These are just my views.
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

It will be idiotic to think they have not used Google maps to hit American soilders. He hee... Indian opposition to Google making maps of sensitive Indian installations available in high resolution on free Google Maps.

When the terrorist boots will hit harder American musharraf they will wake up to horrors caused by Google Maps.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

SSSalvi
BRFite

Post by SSSalvi »

Reposting in Google thread

A news item in Times of India :

President APJ Abdul Kalam's concerns over Google Earth providing detailed and unhindered view of ‘sensitive' Indian establishments have been addressed, courtesy a formula which allows users uninterrupted access to the ‘eye in the sky' while camouflaging key installations.

Fuzzy, low resolution pictures and distorted building plans is how the government and Google Earth have agreed to get around concerns that images of sensitive military and scientific establishments available on the Web could either allow unauthorised snooping or become a ready reckoner for terrorists.

At a recent meeting between ministry of science and technology officials and Google Earth representatives, it was decided that installations identified by government would be carefully camouflaged. This, it was felt, was better than an outright blackout. Apart from well-known sites like BARC, there are many less prominent ones, and blacking them out would only attract attention to their locations.

Images of these locations will not be of more than 25-50 metre resolution, more like the older generation pictures provided by Indian Remote Sensing satellites. Official sources said Google Earth would distort building plans by adding structures where none existed or masking certain aspects of a facility. This could be done without attracting attention to such establishments, which range from laboratories, mines, military sites, space and atomic centres and residences of high-profile VVIPs.

-----------

This post is made to draw the attention to the sentence :
and blacking them out would only attract attention to their locations.

Google earth is known to have camouflaged several installation without being noticed.

e.g. - Repeatative tree patterns at Windsor Castle, UK ( Nice Paste job )
- Addition ( Why should they do that ) of a ship at New York
- A complete airport ( Dutchess County Airport ) , Calif.
- IBM building
- several bridges and highways.

But you will notice them only when you search for those items.

However, In spite of it being so obvious our agencies continue to put black or white patches for blocking ... this only makes even a casual observer to wonder as to what is hidden there and he becomes more curious.

At least now the concerned agencies in India take a note of how to do a clean job.

==========

Shashi
member_9697
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_9697 »

I’m sure everyone will enjoy this…

Coordinates – 32 09’09.09â€
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

Now, who wants to volunteer for counting them??
Just wondering, the number exceeds our IAF’s count or not.
Majorsahab:

I dont know about that, but suggest you change your handle before the admins bust you to a private or worse! :D
SSSalvi
BRFite

Post by SSSalvi »

I am not from the forces so can't talk on the numbers.

But something is strange.
This area is known as ' Tucson Airplane Graveyard ' and there are several planes in dismantled condition.. so experts should comment on the feasibility of condemning so many numbers at a time. ( there are F4, F16, C141,A10 .... the names are from Wikimapia ... not mine )

Secondly I find that the airport in NW is definitely a masked one ( see the shadow of its large building ) and there are so many aircrafts on top of that bldg.

The aircrafts in this area and the graveyard area cast their shadows differently so there a definite patchwork.

Of course this subject of patchwork etc is not the core subject of BRF hence I stop here. It was just a passing observation.

==========

S^3
SSSalvi
BRFite

Post by SSSalvi »

In my post of 6th Feb above I said Google is not doing a dirty job of masking.

I take my words back.

They have done a lousy job at 49.891N 7.07262E .

blacking them out would only attract attention

Sorry boys we are not alone

===========

S^3
vamsi
BRFite -Trainee

INS Fleet with two carriers, five submarnes

Post by vamsi »

18 55 41.82N 72 50 29.18E :)
SSSalvi
BRFite

Post by SSSalvi »

Welcome Vamsi,

And congrats for great post. ( significantly great because it is ur first ) . Keep it up.

==========

S^3
Ankit Desai
BRFite

Post by Ankit Desai »

14 46'03.80"N 74 08'46.77"E
Ankit Desai
BRFite

Post by Ankit Desai »

14 47'39.43"N 74 08'09.88"E Silo?!?!
SSSalvi
BRFite

Post by SSSalvi »

Ankit Desai wrote:14 47'39.43"N 74 08'09.88"E Silo?!?!
Jungle ma mangal, motabhai? Buildings and forests ... where is the border?

Good find .. Ahmdabadi

========

S^3
varahamihir
BRFite -Trainee

weird airbase?? in Pakistan

Post by varahamihir »

I dont know if this has been discussed before. but found this confusing set of airstrips and helipads/SAM sites in a close vicinity in middle of nowhere in Pak.

It seems that great efforts to camoflague it have been taken.

I could count 6 airstrips of various lengths.

Here are the coordinates

31 deg 25'35.28"N 72 deg 02'15.42"E

Eye alt 34300 ft
Sparsh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Sparsh »

That looks like a bombing range for ground attack aircraft rather than a disguised airfield.

Those large clean circles of earth with the white dots in the centre at the northern end of the facility would be typical of a bombing range. I have seen similar such things at an IAF bombing range.
Ankit Desai
BRFite

Post by Ankit Desai »

SSSalvi wrote:
Ankit Desai wrote:14 47'39.43"N 74 08'09.88"E Silo?!?!
Jungle ma mangal, motabhai? Buildings and forests ... where is the border?

Good find .. Ahmdabadi
With the same coordinates try to be at Eye alt 1760 not far but just on your left , a normal person can see some round structures , two are concrete structures and I am not sure about other 3 structures but they are with green round flat top. So I was asking are they missile silos? If more specific 14 47'37.08"N 74 08'01.41"E Eye alt 1760 (Not so far with above coordinates I guess?)

I am sure Navy is not doing any Mangal there at Karwar nana bhai.
Any special attachment with Ahmedabad?

Take it easy before making any comment brother.

Ankit
SSSalvi
BRFite

Post by SSSalvi »

These appear to be parts of Solaris chemical factory... May be water treatment plant tanks ( green ) and some Gas storage ( Domes ).

Regarding Amdawad connction : Was at Jodhpur Tekra long back... ( when there was only one " big white Chhata ") opposite to Bhavnirzar. ( Bhavnirzar started later ). Samaz gayo!

==============

S^3
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

Maybe others saw it before but I just saw Car Nicobar map updated.

The place is totally ripped. Houses flaying around erraticlly, roads that go into the sea.

Here are some coordiate

9°10'51.53"N 92°49'29.10"E Foundation of the IAF family houses that were ripped out.

9° 9'6.13"N 92°49'37.44"E Graveyard of IAF family homes

9°10'39.76"N 92°49'33.70"E : Foundation left

9°10'30.21"N 92°49'41.06"E Lone house now on waterline

9°10'12.16"N 92°49'47.06"E Road into water

9° 9'57.96"N 92°49'30.37"E Runway end still under water, the ground level is tilted (Holy Cow, I realize that this runway end is below sea level and this water is there for good now, many such land areas that show green water is in fact below sea level and the water is there due to underground fissures connecting to sea). :(
RonyKJ
BRFite

Post by RonyKJ »

With regard to the camoflaging of sensitive sites, I smell a rat. The GoI stands to lose either way.

Scenario 1: If GoI does not protest about high res pics being made available by Google earth, then any sensitive sites any where in India will be publicly visible and interested people can find them.

Scenario 2: If GoI wants these hitherto unknown sites camoflaged, then it has to reveal to Google Earth where these sites are. So if there are underground missile silos, their broad location would have to be revealed to Google Earth.

The question is: How confidential is Google's info. Can Google deny such info to the US govt ? I doubt it. So either way we lose. I would choose the first option. At least they have to work hard to find the sites. By asking google to camoflage a specific area, we are making Unkil's work easier.
ksmahesh
BRFite

Post by ksmahesh »

RonyKJ wrote: Scenario 1: If GoI does not protest about high res pics being made available by Google earth, then any sensitive sites any where in India will be publicly visible and interested people can find them.

Scenario 2: If GoI wants these hitherto unknown sites camoflaged, then it has to reveal to Google Earth where these sites are. So if there are underground missile silos, their broad location would have to be revealed to Google Earth.

The question is: How confidential is Google's info. Can Google deny such info to the US govt ? I doubt it. So either way we lose. I would choose the first option. At least they have to work hard to find the sites. By asking google to camoflage a specific area, we are making Unkil's work easier.
perhaps by using both tactics. Giving them a large number of false sites to be camoflaged. and not revealing all of the important places
rsharma
BRFite

Post by rsharma »

SAM site near Islamabad (HQ-2?????):
33 32' 41.23" N, 73 16' 03.80" E

& what about this site;is it also a SAM site?
33 34' 09.06" N, 73 11' 48.21" E