Profiles in Heroism: Archive

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Surprisingly, I found this on the net. The date is wrong, but the fact its a hospital at Mannar - same as that mentioned in the obit and the db convinces me that this is the one.

http://www.uthr.org/Reports/Report3/cha ... c515855149

Incident at Mannar Hospital -9th August 1989

The Mannar hospital lies at the T-junction, where the road to Talaimannar takes off from the Thalvupadu road. The Talaimannar road runs briefly to the north past the hospital, which is to the left, and then takes a bend and runs west past the Building Materials Corporation (BMC), to the right of the road. The IPKF has a large camp at the BMC and a small post in the corner of the hospital premises, at the T-junction referred to. Going east from here along the Thalvapadu -Mannar road, there are camps of the EPRLF and TELO.

The small IPKF post in the corner of the hospital premises is over-looked by the OPD building. On the night of that day, the LTTE is believed to have come to Mannar island by boat from Vankalai and had landed at Thalvupadu and entered the hospital from the back. This was at about 8.30 p.m. On entering the main building of the hospital, all employees and patients were detained inside. They made their way through the hospital to the OPD building and took up positions upstairs over-looking the IPKF camp below. Except for those on sentry duty, the other soldiers came to the camp for their night’s sleep. When the LTTE opened fire from upstair windows, the IPKF men hardly stood a chance. A few soldiers reportedly escaped by climbing over the wall. The LTTE had ringed the area with sentries to make it difficult for reinforcements to be rushed there. The surrounding IPKF camps are said to have been uncertain as to what was going on for some time, because the LTTE had been using Indian weapons, When soldiers from the BMC camp arrived, the LTTE had left with the captured weapons, reportedly by boat from Thalvupadu. Up to 40 soldiers may have been killed in the incident.

The subsequent conduct of the IPKF is worthy of praise and took the townsfolk by surprise, given the general reputation of the IPKF. The troops that came from the BMC camp that night assured the patients (more than eighty in number) and the staff that no harm would befall them. The patients left on their own in the morning. The Indian troops conducted themselves in a disciplined manner and no townsfolk came to any harm.

How was such an unthinkable attack made possible? It may be pointed out here that the atmosphere in Mannar town was fairly relaxed. The level of fraternisation between Indian troops and local people was of a high level, that would have shocked people in Vadamaratchi. EPRLF leadership in Mannar town had succeeded in presenting a fairly acceptable image. One purpose of the attack may have been to change the atmosphere, as had been 80 easily done in Vadamaratchi with the killing of just two soldiers on lst June 1988. If that was a purpose of the attack, it bore no immediate fruit.

After the dark winter of 1987, when civilian institutions reasserted themselves, there had been a general demand to the IPKF to keep out of public institutions -particularly educational institutions and hospitals.Such demands had been won and had been grudgingly granted in instances where the IPKF feared a genuine security threat. Sometimes the IPKF had sought assurances from the institutions that the LTTE would not use them. Institutional heads who were in no position to give such guarantees had to argue that prudence demanded that such a risk had to be taken by a force wanting to restore democracy. In some cases assurances were sought from the LTTE and were given, if only tactically.

The sanctity of hospitals is guaranteed by international covenants even during wartime and a hospital is a place from which the IPKF would have least expected to be attacked. The IPKF had probably agreed not to enter hospital buildings. For if regular inside checks were done, such an attack would not have been possible. In conducting such an attack, the LTTE has not just undermined its own credibility, but the credibility of the entire Tamil civilian population engaged in .an uphill struggle to regain a measure of control over their own institutions. That is precisely something that should have the whole-hearted backing of a liberation group. Anyone who is using an adversary’s show of decency to attack him is bent on a destructive course.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Yes this is the one I was talking about. Good find! so it seems most of the soldiers were caught unawares and were unarmed when attacked from above. Very poor response time on part of the IPKF personnel in the BMC camp. But the other newspaper report originally mentioned has some details different from the ones described on this link....wonder who is more accurate.
Jagan wrote:Surprisingly, I found this on the net. The date is wrong, but the fact its a hospital at Mannar - same as that mentioned in the obit and the db convinces me that this is the one.

http://www.uthr.org/Reports/Report3/cha ... c515855149
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Good find Jagan - and I am happy with my memory

Yup the poor guys got caught in a blistering crossfire and furthermore with patients being used as human shields.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

member_8618
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_8618 »

JCage wrote:A somewhat bizarre account of a meet with Col Anil Kaul

url

It seems to be a food column, and the author (somehow) finds a way to slip in the dishes through..
In the article (Interview with Co. Anil Kaul) referred by JCage, Col. Kaul mentions the following:

Quote.
" Now he is working on his own, with a young artist, writing stories of army heroes in comic book format. Two are soon to be ready. "It takes me four to five hours to convert a citation into a story. Mazaa aata hai, it keeps the mind going."
Unquote

Any idea where these comics are available.

If any of you guys know any source where such material is available - Video, Comics, Books for Children with specific Indian Armed forces background- please post the info here.

May be we can inspire some of the "IT Aspirant Generation" to look at Armed forces as an option to be "A Gentleman & Officer"

I don't know when I was growing up - late 50's to late 1960's ther was a lot of "Commando" & War Picture" series comics of II WW stories, which inspired many of us to look at the Armed Forces officer as an option (I was one inspired one who could not join up for personal/family reasons inspite of successful completion of SSB process and Medical)

So if any such media is available now, it may be a good idea to provide the links to such resources.

Looking forward to your responses.

Thanks and Regards

Ram
ChandraS

Post by ChandraS »

Maj. Manish Pithambre, 3rd Para Regiment, died while leading an operation to nab Mohammad Ashraf Shah, one of the most wanted terrorists in Jammu and Kashmir. The operation was succesful but the brave major was shot dead.

May his soul rest in peace and his family have the strength to cope with the loss.

An obituary written by his friend
http://in.rediff.com/news/2006/nov/28obit.htm
A Sharma
BRFite

Post by A Sharma »

shek
BRFite

Post by shek »

Lt N Parthiban is being awarded the KC tomorrow (26 Jan '07). He was an officer and a gentleman. EX OTA, SSC 81 of PHILLORA COY. My immediate senior in the academy.
God Speed sir,
Ben.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

shek wrote:Lt N Parthiban is being awarded the KC tomorrow (26 Jan '07). He was an officer and a gentleman. EX OTA, SSC 81 of PHILLORA COY. My immediate senior in the academy.
God Speed sir,
Ben.
We are losing our finest (and they are in short supply) in fighting their scum, their riff-raff, the sweepings of their gutters. :(
abhay
BRFite -Trainee

Post by abhay »

A very astute observation on our very own DDM

On Tuesday, this news swept across all the news channels ' Sanjay Dutt relieved by court ' . ' Sirf Munna not a bhai ' ' 13 saal ka vanvaas khatam ' ' although found guilty for possession of armory, Sanjay can breath sigh of relief as all the TADA charges against him are withdrawn ' Then many personalities like Salman Khan said ' He is a good person. We knew he will come out clean ' . Mr Big B said "Dutt ' s family and our family have relations for years he ' s a good kid. He is like elder brother to Abhishek". His sister Priya Dutt said "we can sleep well tonight. It ' s a great relief"

In other news, Parliament was mad at Indian team for performing bad; Greg Chappell said something; Shah Rukh Khan replaces Amitabh in KBC and other such stuff. But most of the emphasis was given on Sanjay Dutt ' s "phoenix like" comeback from the ashes of terrorist charges. Surfing through the channels, one news on BBC startled me. It read "Hisbul Mujahidin ' s most wanted terrorist ' Sohel Faisal ' killed in Anantnag , India . Indian Major leading the operation lost his life in the process. Four others are injured.

It was past midnight, I started visiting the stupid Indian channels, but Sanjay Dutt was still ruling. They were telling how Sanjay pleaded to the court saying ' I ' m the sole bread earner for my family ' , ' I have a daughter who is studying in US ' and so on. Then they showed how Sanjay was not wearing his lucky blue shirt while he was hearing the verdict and also how he went to every temple and prayed for the last few months. A suspect in Mumbai bomb blasts, convicted under armory act…was being transformed into a hero.

Sure Sanjay Dutt has a daughter; Sure he did not do any terrorist activity. Possessing an AK47 is considered too elementary in terrorist community and also one who possesses an AK47 has a right to possess a pistol so that again is not such a big crime; Sure Sanjay Dutt went to all the temples; Sure he did a lot of Gandhigiri but then………..

Major Manish H Pitambare got the information from his sources about the terrorists ' whereabouts. Wasting no time he attacked the camp, killed Hisbul Mujahidin ' s supremo and in the process lost his life to the bullets fired from an AK47. He is survived by a wife and daughter (just like Sanjay Dutt) who ' s only 18 months old.

Major Manish never said ' I have a daughter ' before he took the decision to attack the terrorists in the darkest of nights. He never thought about having a family and he being the bread earner. No news channel covered this since they were too busy hyping a former drug addict, a suspect who ' s linked to bomb blasts which killed hundreds. Their aim was to show how he defied the TADA charges and they were so successful that his conviction in possession of armory had no meaning. They also concluded that his parents in heaven must be happy and proud of him.

Parents of Major Manish are still living and they have to live rest of their lives without their beloved son. His daughter won ' t ever see her daddy again. Finally Major Manish, to my generation is a greater hero, someone who laid his life in the name of this great nation.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

While the m*d*rch*ds of the TV channels lick the asses of people like Sanjay Dutt and run to the airport to meet Haneef - fresh from Oz, not a single one of these fckers pays the slightest bit of attention to this

http://www.indianpad.com/story/82085
[quote]

Bangalore: Two Soldiers Cremated
http://www.rediff.com/news/2007/aug/01cremate.htm
by krypton 1 days ago (rediff.com)
While the whole of Bangalore including the State government kept a track on Dr Haneef Mohammad, the bodies of two soldiers who died in a militant attack were flown into Bangalore and cremated almost unnoticed.
While Colonel Vasant was killed in the Uri sector, Timmaiah died in an ambush at the J&K valley last week. Both of them were barely 40 years of age.
The bodies of Colonel Vasant and K Timmaiah, a soldier were flown into Bangalore without a whisper. Ironically the body of Timmaiah reached Bangalore the same day Dr Haneef arrived (Sunday, July 29).
The case of Colonel Vasant was no different. His body reached Bangalore on Tuesday night and there was not a word of condolence from the men in power.
The question that the general public is asking is why the Chief Minister H D Kumaraswamy did not react to the deaths of the two soldiers?
“He had the time to greet Haneef and even offer him a job as though he was some kind of national hero,â€
Last edited by shiv on 05 Aug 2007 08:26, edited 1 time in total.
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

^^^ Rest in Peace brothers. Thank you.
Kartman
BRFite

Post by Kartman »

RIP, sir :(

Hope our gentle PM had a good night's sleep :evil:
Kartman
BRFite

Post by Kartman »

... and after a day or two of crocodile tears, DDM wil turn back to more important things like why Munnabhai shouldn't do time (and if he does why he should get his favourite biryani served in bed), Mallika Sherawat's thighs, Sania Mirza's skirt, etc etc...

... until the next such incident...
Kartman
BRFite

Post by Kartman »

Another brave officer who lead from the front, and went down fighting last December... Col GS Sarna, CO of 29 RR :(

Col. Gurbir Singh Sarna
My Cousin(Mamaji elder son)- Colonel G.S. Sarna, was posted in Pattan, Jammu and Kashmir. He was a Colonel and was the commanding officer of 29 Rashtriya Rifles there.

On 23rd December during a routine Search operation in Village Behrampur, Baramulla, his men were searching the village for militants who were hiding there. They had completed the serach op. and they reported back to Col G.S. Sarna that there were no militants in the area. After which he himself went for an inspection of the houses. He was a very brave man and even after being a Colonel always used to lead his men from the front. He entered a house only with 2 of his bodyguards and looked around. He saw some grass lying around there, and instructed his men to look under it, under that was a secret hideout , where the militants were hiding, there was a small door(Phatta) under the grass, he told his men to lift it so that he can check under it.

But as and when the phatta was lifted , a militant waiting under it fired a burst (15-16 rounds) from his AK-47 at him, out of which 6 bullets hit him, 1 on his hand, 1 on the shoulder , 2 in lower abdomen, and 2 on his ankles, and the rest hit the other 2 men. Despite being badly wounded and bleeding profusely from his stomach, which now had a big hole in it, he fired back at the militant killing him instantly, then he killed another millitant hiding there, after that he noticed one militant running outside the house, then he ran up to the roof of the house holding his stomach with one hand and gun with the other, he climbed to the roof of the house and injured the 3rd militant. Even after being hit badly and unmindful of his own safety he kept on leading his men, he told them to search other houses, and kept on giving them instructions. Then after around 15 min. he was carried to an ambulance and all the while he was saying "maar do saaalon ko kisi ko mat chodna...destroy them", never for once did he think about his family or his personal safety. He was immediately airlifted to the base hospital in srinagar but on the way he succumbed to his injuries, and only at the very last moment he remebered his family and called the name of his 5 year old son.
sunilUpa
BRFite

DDM or not, we at BRF will not forget.

Post by sunilUpa »

TIMES NOW continues to follow the story of Col V Vasanth's heroic sacrifice..in an exclusive interview with times now Chief of Army Staff - Gen JJ Singh - has said the debate on whether the country cares enough for its brave soldiers, needs to be taken forward.

On Wednesday (August 1), while most of Bangalore's - and the media's - attention was on Mohammed Haneef, elsewhere in the same city, a martyr Col V Vasanth was cremated with full military honours after being killed in a militant encounter in the Kashmir valley. But the troubling question that TIMES NOW put forward was: Does the country really remember the sacrifices made by our men in uniform?

Subsequently, in a brave and heart-rending interview late Col Vasanth's wife - Subhashini had put aside her grief for a few moments to speak exclusively to TIMES NOW, asking the nation and the media to show that it cared.

On Thursday evening, TIMES NOW's Editor-in-chief Arnab Goswami interviewed Army Chief General J J Singh and asked him to respond on the matter.

Interview excerpts

Arnab Goswami: General J J Singh, you saw yesterday (August 2) Subhashiniji coming on our show and I am told that you are very touched by watching what she had to say.

Singh: Yes, I am. For the Chief of Army staff to see a very brave lady facing such a very tragic moment of her life so bravely and courageously, shows that she is also a role model.

Arnab Goswami: You just met Col V Vasanth a few days back. The bitter irony of it perhaps does not escape you.

Singh: It was a coincidence. When the honourable Raksha Mantri (Defence Minister A K Anthony) went to Puri, we had a 'badakhana' (dinner) in which Col Vasanth and his batallion who were part of the brigade of Puri, were present. I was very happy to introduce this dashing Colonel to the Raksha Mantri. I said he was the commanding my battalion - I commissioned into it 43 years ago and in '81 I commanded it - so you feel especially close. Though for me any soldiers life is very precious and therefore I feel very concerned when any soldier dies.

But I feel proud that some of them have not died in vain. And they have shown the real determination and grit that the Indian Army is famous for.

Arnab Goswami: He needn't have sacrificed his life, in pure technical terms he was a commanding officer - but he chose to put himself in the line of fire.

Singh: Yes, I think it is the finest traditions of our Indian Army, that Col Vasanth led from the front, and unmindful of his own safety he planned an executed a brilliant operation. Though he did not survive to see it - he was greviously injured - but the operation ended in the elimnation of eight heavily-armed LeT terorists who were just in the process of infiltrating and had come about two kms into our territory.

Arnab Goswami: You're clearly proud of him. Last question: If his wife is watching the show tonight, which we hope she is, because you are speaking so warmly about her late husband - is there something that you would like to tell her?

Singh: I have spoken with her, my wife has also spoken with her, as we do in the case of all officers who pass away - we also send letters to the men to convey our condolences to the family- but I would like to say that she has put up a very brave front, we are with her, in this hour of grief and we will do whatever is required to meet any of her needs and help her as a member of the family. Because the Army is big family and that is how the camaraderie is.

I would say, Subhashini, we are with you and we will do whatever best we can do to help you overcome this great tragedy.
Link
sunilUpa
BRFite

Unsung hero Col Vasanth: An Army widow's tribute

Post by sunilUpa »

After Col V Vasanth, killed in a militant encounter in the valley on Monday (July 30), was cremated with full military honours in Bangalore on Wednesday (August 1) his grief-stricken wife Subhashini consented to speak to TIMES NOW.

It was an understandbly emotional Subhashini who appeared on 'Newshour' on Wednesday night, making an appeal on TIMES NOW to people to care enough to respect the sacrifices made by the men who protect the country.

Interview excerpts

Subhashini: At the outset let me tell you that I really am not the first in this list; there have been many more brave women who have faced these kind of situations before in our country - and I just joined the line today (August 1). And I am very proud of my husband for this supreme sacrifice that he has made for the country.

Q: He is an officer, he could have opted out of the Army, taken voluntary retirement yet we are told on that day he went back a second time to take on the militants. We are told that he died trying to safe the life of another armyman who was with him.

Subhashini: That's true he was trying to save a comrade. though my husband was a commanding officer and needn't have been in the front, he wanted to be, he said where his men are, he will be.

Q: Do describe Col Vasanth, the man that he was, his persona and the kind of values that he stood by.

Subhashini: He had the highest sense of personal intergrity and principles and a lot of times when I would tell him that he was a really great guy for his dedication - he used to tell me that he is a very average officer and any of his comrades would do the same in his situation. So he felt that he was one of them, the entire Army was of this ethos.

Q: Do you feel that we remember the sacrifices made by our soldiers only when it is convenient to us - when there is a Kargil or a big media event?

Subhashini: Definitely I think that is true, I think the media can do a lot more to focus on these martyrs who have been the true heroes of our country, and also you would motivate our youngsters about our motherland and bring in that nationalist spirit, it is so important nowadays.

I have nothing against Bollywood, I love it - but you (media) should stick to the humane things in life - this is real, this hits hard.

Q: What is your message to political leaders who at times overlook other concerns only to look at politics, what is your message to them?

Subhashini: We cannot ignore national interests. And the Army is there to follow the political leadership. They have to make the right decisions, and whatever decisions they are, I feel they should think of themselves as being in the Army as if they are leading in the front and then take a decision, then it would help definitely.

He was a true fighter, I am extremely proud of him and I am so glad I was a part of his life - though of course at this moment the only source of strength for me is to know that the country respects his sacrifice - that is what will give me strength to bear my personal grief. It is very important for me to know this and the media can play a big role in helping me and all those other women with me, feel this.

It was so heartening for me today when I was in the coffin carriage to see just random people on the road saluting him, doing namaskaram. I cherish those moments when I saw those people. So actually the country does respect them, but it is not projected enough - the media can play a big role in this, please help.
Link

Could some one upload the video (available on the link provided above) to youtube, google video ? (I am at work and can't do it). It would help if each and every BRF member actually view the video on youtube, so as to put it on top.
Baljeet
BRFite

Post by Baljeet »

Dr. Shiv
Dead man don't vote, constituency of living soul cast their ballots that secure their GADDI. We all know our politicians and their creed.
pradeepe
BRFite
Location: Our culture is different and we cannot live together - who said that?

Post by pradeepe »

Baljeet wrote:Dr. Shiv
Dead man don't vote,
Not the right reason me thinks. Dead men dont vote and neither do the Munna bhai types the TV anchors run after. Its the aam jantas interest that votes.
Baljeet
BRFite

Post by Baljeet »

pradeepe wrote:
Baljeet wrote:Dr. Shiv
Dead man don't vote,
Not the right reason me thinks. Dead men dont vote and neither do the Munna bhai types the TV anchors run after. Its the aam jantas interest that votes.
You just made my point. Aam Janta doesn't care if some Col died fighting defending their freedom, protecting them from scrouge of terror. They are more interested in their Munna Bhai...he is an entertainer.
Aam Janta identifies with Munna Bhai not with Soldier. Munna bhai takes the Aam Janta of this nation into dream land. A Soldier defends and dies for their reality.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

cross post
[quote="narmad"]IRON IN THEIR HEARTS
Low-profile, soft-spoken, but with courage coursing through their veins, three bravehearts battled...

CAPTAIN R HARSHAN, 25
2 PARA COMMANDOS
hen they brought his body home, the commandos had few things belonging to the young captain to carry with them. But among them were a number of books. “The trunks they brought contained many books, over a hundred of them. Harshan was always a quiet boy who loved literature, loved to read,â€
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

http://www.hindu.com/2007/08/19/stories ... 090400.htm
[quote]Col. Vasant’s wife to go ahead with programme
Staff Reporter
Bangalore: Subhashini Vasant, wife of Colonel Vasant Venugopal, is organising a dance drama on September 8 in New Delhi.
Ms. Subhashini, a dancer, had been planning this programme for months.
The programme, which is set to travel across the country, still stands as scheduled despite the bereavement. Ironically, the performance depicts the life of Army widows, their problems and struggles.
In fact, Col. Vasant is said to have been enthusiastic about the concept, especially as it was an attempt to generate funds for and create awareness about Army widows.
It was his dream that his wife establish an organisation working for Army widows.
The script for the performance was completed on July 27, in the three days that followed, Ms. Subhashini and Col. Vasant had passionately discussed every detail.
In a cruel twist of fate, Col. Vasant died the very next day, on July 31, leaving Ms. Subhashini in the same state as the women for who
m she had planned the show. “The story of the dance drama has now become the story of Ms. Subhashini Vasant,â€
ksmahesh
BRFite

Post by ksmahesh »

I guess the need of hour is an agency of professionals who can tell the tale of Indian Soldiers. Just compare the following documentary for a VC winner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LufdzZIPPHQ

with what has been our narrations.

The difference is unbelivable. What can be done to make similar (or better) truth tale videos for our heros.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Collection of cross posts
[quote="joey"][quote]
“DO NOT LET ANY TERRORIST ESCAPEâ€
Sidd
BRFite

Post by Sidd »

gopal.suri
BRFite

Post by gopal.suri »

Lt Gen Ashok Chaki passed away on 10th december

Lt Col AK "Sam" Sharma writes on him.

May Lt Gen Ashok Chaki RIP. Salute to a great soldier!
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

Rest in peace my brave brothers.

With tears in my eyes, lump in my throat and pride in my heart.

Dileep Vellodi
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Rarely do we hear the deeds of non-officers. This man was truly special: Sena Medal, Vir Chakra and Ashok Chakra.

http://frontierindia.net/jco-chunni-lal ... errorists/

JCO Chunni Lal martyred, kills 5 Pakistan trained jihadi terrorists
Written on June 26, 2007 – 11:07 am | by FIDSNS |

In a fierce firefight with Pakistani trained jihadi militants in Kupwara Sector of J&K, a brave Indian Kashmiri who is a Junior Commissioned Officer (JCO) decorated twice earlier for gallantry, was martyred yesterday in Kupwara Sector of Jammu and Kashmir.

The troops of a Jammu & Kashmir Light Infantry (JAK LI) battalion observed some suspicious move near the line of control (LC) during the intervening night of 23/24 June in Keran sector of Kupwara district. Due to low clouds and poor visibility the movement of the jihadi terrorists could not be tracked very effectively at night. A search party led by Naib Subedar Chunni Lal was launched in the morning hours of Sunday to ascertain facts. The JCO led his troops from the front, though with caution. The troops were fired upon by a group of terrorists hiding near LC. The JCO retaliated immediately with heavy volume of fire.

The young JCO putting his acumen into act maneuvered his troops to block all escape routes of the terrorists. This led to elimination of two fleeing terrorists at the outset, the remaining jihadi terrorists finding themselves surrounded and out maneuvered made a suicidal bid to escape, injuring two soldiers. Sensing the criticality of the situation and threat to life of his fellow soldiers Naib Subedar Chunni Lal, with total disregard to personal safety not witnessed very often, charged at the terrorists. This act of daredevilry took the remaining three terrorists by total surprise. The JCO though wounded and profusely bleeding, continued to fire at the terrorists till all the remaining three terrorists were killed. This act of great bravery, leadership and supreme sacrifice by a Naib Subedar Chunni Lal not only resulted in elimination of five Pakistan trained jihadi terrorists but also saved the lives of his fellow soldiers under his command.

Late Naib Subedar Chunni Lal was born in the year 1968 in Baderwah. He joined the JAK LI in 1984. During the course of training he excelled in military subjects, displayed courage and camaraderie, displaying the potentials of making of a great soldier from the very beginning.

On joining his unit, young Chunni Lal lived up to the promise of an ideal soldier when in the year 1987, he volunteered and played an important role in capturing the now famous ‘BANA Post’ located at 21153 feet in the Siachen Glacier, the highest battle filed in the world. For this act of Gallantry he was awarded the SENA MEDAL.

Not letting past glories and laurels dull his basic soldierly instincts, zeal and determination to excel, he set for him even higher goals and continued to display a high degree of devotion to duty. He became an example to emulate when in the year 1999 while serving with his unit in the Poonch Sector in ‘OPERATION RAKSHAK’ he fought an attempted intrusion by Pakistan Army and was instrumental in beating back the Pakistan attack on the post. For this act of gallantry he was awarded the VIR CHAKRA.

An asset to Indian Army and the nation, Naib Subedar Chunni Lal, VIR CHAKRA, SENA MEDAL yet again displayed his utility and unflinching devotion to duty when serving in the difficult operating situation of Sudan as a peacekeeper with the United Nations. Here too he was at the forefront in the operations at Malakal. For this action, the Battalion received the United Nations Citation for valour.

The valiant JCO belongs to Village Bhaar, Malothi of Bhadarwah tehsil in Doda District of J&K. He will be cremated with full military honours on Wednesday. He is survived by his wife, Mrs Chinta Devi and two children – a 16 year old son and a eight years old daughter.
pradeepe
BRFite

Post by pradeepe »

Col. Vasanth Venugopal
I go where my men go,' Colonel Vasanth Venugopal told his mother when she asked him if a colonel should participate in all operations conducted by his men.

Colonel Venugopal laid down his life for our country and we must remember his bravery and ultimate sacrifice.

On July 31, this soldier from Bangalore died fighting terrorists in the Uri sector in Kashmir when he led a pre-dawn operation by the Ninth Battalion of the Maratha Light Infantry.

An army spokesperson revealed how Colonel Venugopal, the Commanding Officer of the 9 Maratha Light Infantry, would be at the heart of any operation at all times to supervise it.

On that fateful night his troops surrounded terrorists in a forest and blocked all their escape routes. Despite being wounded, the colonel and his men engaged the terrorists in a fierce encounter. The daring officer led from the front and helped gun down the terrorists. Tragically, he was hit by a bullet and passed away in hospital.

'He ensured that all eight infiltrators were wiped out even as he laid down his life for the nation. He was a true soldier who was dedicated to the country and his force,' then Chief of Army Staff General J J Singh said after Colonel Venugopal's martyrdom.

In honour of his sacrifice, the nation awarded him the Ashok Chakra, the highest gallantry award granted during peace time.
achit
BRFite

Rest in Peace

Post by achit »

Rest in Peace
JCO Chunni Lal
Colonel Vasanth Venugopal

Achit
gopal.suri
BRFite

Post by gopal.suri »

pradeepe wrote:Col. Vasanth Venugopal
..., the nation awarded him the Ashok Chakra, the highest gallantry award granted during peace time.
Thats a good find.

A write up in NOIDA Shaheed Smarak by Col Virender Thapar father of Captain Vijayant Thapar who was martyred in kargil.

I wonder why this has got less publicity?
pradeepe
BRFite

Post by pradeepe »

Captain Harshan - The youngest Ashoka Chakra Recipient

RIP brother.

Rediff has been doing a good job paying homage to these brave warriors. Thanks rediff.
His parents travelled from Kerala to Dehradun to see him commissioned in the Indian Army. Harshan took his mother to the Balidan Mandir at the IMA and told her, 'Amma, look at the names of the soldiers who have laid down their lives for the country. Can you see the message to their mothers? That all mothers should be proud of their brave sons. Amma, you should also be a proud mother if my name appears here...'

He was assigned to the elite paratroopers unit. In 2002, Lieutenant Harshan of the 2 Para completed his training in Kashmir. He was one of six young officers sent to Israel for special weapons training.
March 20. His bags were packed and he was about to leave for Kerala when he heard that terrorists had been spotted in Kupwara.

He rushed back to Kupwara with 20 men. The mission was successful, and the Red Devils captured the terrorists.

As the unit returned from the heights, Captain Harshan was fired upon. He was hit in the thigh. He returned fire. The gun-battle continued for some time.

The captain was injured, but he stayed in charge, killed three terrorists and saved the lives of his men.

Before he could savour success, a sniper shot him in the neck.

He died, protecting our borders from our enemies.
Captain Harshan's name has now been inscribed at the Balidan Mandir at the IMA, Dehradun. He is also the youngest officer to receive the Ashoka Chakra, the highest honour awarded during peace time, posthumously.
When others his age read fiction, he read the Bhagavad Gita. When others his age spoke about movies, he spoke about what the Gita had taught him. When others his age enjoyed the comfort of their homes, he fought terrorists in Kashmir.

Yes, this 26 year old was an extraordinary young man.

Never had his plans failed earlier. He was planning to come home, and he did come home.

Alas! home they brought the warrior dead.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

I got a lump in my throat reading about the life and sacrifice of Captain Harshan. :cry:

These days I am beginning to think that the people of India do not deserve heroes like Captain Harshan. Their heroes are Sanjay Dutt and Salman Khan, and that's all they should have. :x

Thank You Captain Harshan, for fighting and dying for a people that are unworthy of you and your sacrifice. :(
Babui
BRFite

Post by Babui »

Baljeet
BRFite

Post by Baljeet »

Kakkaji,
Heroes like Harshan are the reason this nation is surviving. Sanjay Dutt and others like him call terrorists like Dawood Ibrahim their "Bhai". Well my brothers are dying and working to make this nation stronger. I don't watch movies of Sanjay dutt and other idiots like him.

Day will come soon in India when parents and children of these balidani soldiers will be honored by this nation.
JCage
BRFite

Post by JCage »

Sanjay Dutt may have learnt his lesson but Mahesh Bhatt hasnt. I think a 10 year mandatory sentence in the lockup is good to educate Bollywood about their love for jihad.
Baljeet
BRFite

Post by Baljeet »

JCage wrote:Sanjay Dutt may have learnt his lesson but Mahesh Bhatt hasnt. I think a 10 year mandatory sentence in the lockup is good to educate Bollywood about their love for jihad.
Maybe he should spent time in Punjab Police Lockup for 10 days. He will get a very good lesson in "Siyasat", show him true "lahu key do Rang" and ask his "Naam" Later. Lastly they will send him to "Saatwan Aasmaan" where he can meet all the hoorees.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

A good feature on Capt. Harshan.

India needs Heroes like Harshan
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

[url=IAF’S SIACHEN HERO SQUADRON LEADER SHANTANU BASU AWARDED SHAURYA CHAKRA (POSTHUMOUS)[/url]