Indian Armed Forces Academies

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
rajkumar
BRFite

Re: POP!!!

Post by rajkumar »

shek wrote:Anyways, the euphoria is gonna last for sometime now!
Well Done. Enjoy the feeling the next few years are goin to be the best. Trust me everything after being Lt will seem second best!!!!

Also remember that the men you command & your country expects leadership.

NEVER LET EITHER OF THEM DOWN
Last edited by rajkumar on 19 Sep 2006 17:12, edited 1 time in total.
rajat_p
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rajat_p »

anyone going for 84 course..plz get in touch am reporting on 9oct.
shek
BRFite

Post by shek »

rajat_p wrote:anyone going for 84 course..plz get in touch am reporting on 9oct.
Rajat all da best for 84!! It's gonna be tough, but it doesnt get better wen u do it with ur coursemates... enjoy the academy partner, its THE BEST!!
AS of now u guys will be shifting to the new cadets accdn and without a doubt its been considered as the best livin accdn for cadets compared to the other academies in our country. The new GC mess is simply outta this world. Enjoy EVERY bit of Academy life... i'm hardly 4 days out n though i wud neva want to spend another day there, in some corner of my heart, i wann be there...:)

Amya, don worry, even i kinda scored around the same, i feel its way good enuf to clear. but can neva trust the cdse... keep fillin in the cds forms for the next courses as well...don ever take a chance...
- ben
FIGHTER PHILLORA 82
abhishek
BRFite -Trainee

Post by abhishek »

Congrats Lieutenant Shek (If my assumptions are correct).

Now that you are a Lieutenant, would you mind typing complete words instead of that SMS language. Some of us are too old to understand it! :D
Amya
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Amya »

@Lieutenant Shek,
due to age limits i am not eligible for any further NT entries. this was my first and the last attempt at the CDS. now thats because i kinda wasted two years in the software industry(sic) and later on developed the liking for a forces career. i would also be applying for the tech entries but i guess there are not many opportunities for comp sci engg there(is this the right perception?). and its not only the army but also the iaf and the navy that i am applying for. anticipating a call for the navy ssb(executive branch) soon. the point is i wanna were the uniform, come what may. :) hope to get continued guidance from all the guys out here. thanks.

@rajat,
all the best dude!
rajat_p
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rajat_p »

thanks shek and amya for ur wishes...good to know that new accdn has come up and i hope phillora had come inside now..i was earlier selected for 81 course left out on medical grounds

hey amya shek is right u never know with cdse result i once cross checked the paper i was scoring arnd 145 but i failed next time i check my paper i was scoring 130 i cleared it..upsc is funny sometimes specially with 40 anoty.n syons.. how in the world guys frm village or up board gonna clear specially for OTA..
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

rajat_p wrote:upsc is funny sometimes specially with 40 anoty.n syons.. how in the world guys frm village or up board gonna clear specially for OTA..
I think there is a problem there. We say that there are not enough qualified candidates to alleviate the Officers' shortage in the Armed Forces, but are these tests really geared towards finding the right candidates? As rajat noted earlier, do they really want Shakespears in the army? And how do youth that study in village schools pass this exam? Are they not fit to be oficers in the Armed Forces?

I think that deficiencies in English can be corrected by remedial courses for incoming Officer Candidates, but it is far more difficult in today's India to find young men who are physically fit, courageous, ethically sound, and have the leadership qualities.

What do the Gurus think?
achit
BRFite

Post by achit »

shek wrote:Hey guys!! it's official... i'm a Lieutenant!!! Praise God!! It was an awesome POP. The weather was excellent, the drill was immaculate n the pipping...the best!! I'll put up the pics soon as i get back to B'lore!
Anyways, the euphoria is gonna last for sometime now!
, that aside, it was again very very disheartenin for us guys to check out the papers this morn only to find pics of Lady Officers splashed all over! Its DUMB real dumb! The Indian Media is yet to mature...really... so much for "matching male officers shoulder to shoulder" n all that nonsense.
that apart, the feelings great n SSC 82 is ready to take on those #$^%# across the border!! watch out!!
-ben... Lt Ben:)
Congrats Shek.
May the wishes of all patriotic Indians be with you.
Thanks for defending our country.
Please convey my wishes to all of your batch mates.

Jai Hind
jonathan.gabriel
BRFite -Trainee

Post by jonathan.gabriel »

achit wrote:
shek wrote:Hey guys!! it's official... i'm a Lieutenant!!! Praise God!! It was an awesome POP. The weather was excellent, the drill was immaculate n the pipping...the best!! I'll put up the pics soon as i get back to B'lore!
Anyways, the euphoria is gonna last for sometime now!
, that aside, it was again very very disheartenin for us guys to check out the papers this morn only to find pics of Lady Officers splashed all over! Its DUMB real dumb! The Indian Media is yet to mature...really... so much for "matching male officers shoulder to shoulder" n all that nonsense.
that apart, the feelings great n SSC 82 is ready to take on those #$^%# across the border!! watch out!!
-ben... Lt Ben:)
Congrats Shek.
May the wishes of all patriotic Indians be with you.
Thanks for defending our country.
Please convey my wishes to all of your batch mates.

Jai Hind
Hello Shek,
I am anew user to BR. Since you are a SSCO can you please clear a doubt for me. I will be joining SS-84. When I applied for SSC I was under the assumption that the initial period of contract is 5 years. After which a SSCO can:

1) Leave the Army.
2) Apply for PC.
3) Opt for a 5 year extension and once he opts for the extension he can
resign anytime during the extension by giving a 3 month notice.

However the UPSC notification has this to say:

(c) Tenure of Appointment of Short Service Commission (Male and female) in the regular Army will be granted for 14 years i.e. for an initial period of 10 years extendable by a further period of 04 years. However, male officers who are willing to continue to serve in the Army after the period of five years Short Service Commission may, if eligible and suitable in all respects, be considered for the grant of permanent Commission in the last year of their Short Service Commission in accordance with the relevant rules.

"Those SSC officers, who are not selected for grant of PC but are otherwise considered fit and suitable, will be given options to continue as SSCO’S for a total period of 14 years (including the initial tenure of 5 years) on expiry of which they will be released from the Army". Women officers are not eligible for permanent commission. However, they can opt for extension of up to 14 years of service.

d) Special Provision for Release for SSC on Completion of 5th Year of Service: SSC (Non-Tech) Male & Female Officers, other than those who undergone or are undergoing Degree Engineering Course or any other specialized course of such nature, who are desirous of leaving the service after completion of five years service may, during the fifth year of service, apply to the Army HQs for release. Army HQ will consider the applications of such officers on merits and the decision of the Army HQ will be final and irrevocable. On approval of such officers will be released from service on completion of 5th year of service. Those SSC (Non-Tech) Male & Female Officers who have undergone or are undergoing Degree Engineering Course or any other specialized course of such nature, will not be released before expiry of full tenure of 14 years unless the cost of training of such specialized course as prescribed is recovered from them. They will be required to execute a bond to this effect on nominated for undertaking Degree Engineering Course/Specialized Course of such nature.

e) Special Provisions during Extended Tenure: During extended tenure, they will be permitted to seek release from the Army on the following grounds:-
(I) Taking up civil job.
(II) Pursuing higher education.
(III) Starting own business/joining family business.

Now as you can see that this is very confusing. The notification makes it seem that the initial contract period is 10 years but in some sentences it tells you that it is for 5 years. Can you please tell me what is the initial tenure of SSC and what are the options the SSCO has after the initial tenure.

Thank you.
jonathan.gabriel
BRFite -Trainee

Does anybody have any idea about the service particulars of SSC officers. There is a lot of confusion because I was under the impression that SSC is for 5 years and the options that the SSCO had after 5 years are:

1) Resign.
2) Opt for PC.
3) Opt for a extension of 5 years. And he can resign anytime during the 5
years by giving 3 months notice. (My neighbour who is a ex-Major told
me this since he has had taken the extension of 5 years but resigned
after one year since he got a civilian job.)

But the latest UPSC notification is very confusing and this is what it has to say:

However the UPSC notification has this to say:

(c) Tenure of Appointment of Short Service Commission (Male and female) in the regular Army will be granted for 14 years i.e. for an initial period of 10 years extendable by a further period of 04 years. However, male officers who are willing to continue to serve in the Army after the period of five years Short Service Commission may, if eligible and suitable in all respects, be considered for the grant of permanent Commission in the last year of their Short Service Commission in accordance with the relevant rules.

"Those SSC officers, who are not selected for grant of PC but are otherwise considered fit and suitable, will be given options to continue as SSCO’S for a total period of 14 years (including the initial tenure of 5 years) on expiry of which they will be released from the Army". Women officers are not eligible for permanent commission. However, they can opt for extension of up to 14 years of service.

d) Special Provision for Release for SSC on Completion of 5th Year of Service: SSC (Non-Tech) Male & Female Officers, other than those who undergone or are undergoing Degree Engineering Course or any other specialized course of such nature, who are desirous of leaving the service after completion of five years service may, during the fifth year of service, apply to the Army HQs for release. Army HQ will consider the applications of such officers on merits and the decision of the Army HQ will be final and irrevocable. On approval of such officers will be released from service on completion of 5th year of service. Those SSC (Non-Tech) Male & Female Officers who have undergone or are undergoing Degree Engineering Course or any other specialized course of such nature, will not be released before expiry of full tenure of 14 years unless the cost of training of such specialized course as prescribed is recovered from them. They will be required to execute a bond to this effect on nominated for undertaking Degree Engineering Course/Specialized Course of such nature.

e) Special Provisions during Extended Tenure: During extended tenure, they will be permitted to seek release from the Army on the following grounds:-
(I) Taking up civil job.
(II) Pursuing higher education.
(III) Starting own business/joining family business.

This notification is very confusing. It gives you a impression that the SSC is for a minimum of 10 years and the extension is for 4 years i.e 10+4 as opposed to the 5+5 system those days. But in another part of the notification it says that the SSC is for 5 years and if the officer is not selected for PC he can opt for extension of upto 14 years(including initial tenure of 5 years) after which he will be released from the Army.

Now even if the officer does not want to opt for PC but decides to take an extension after the initial 5 years is he obligated to complete the full period of extension or can he resign by giving a 3 month notice.

One TA officer tells me that if the Officer takes the extension he is obligated to complete the full extension and if he resigns he will not be called a ex-serviceman and be eligible for the benefits.

Can somebody throw some light on this please. I would be grateful.
jonathan.gabriel
BRFite -Trainee

rajat_p wrote:anyone going for 84 course..plz get in touch am reporting on 9oct.
hey rajat. i was to join SS-84 but I had to defer my training to the next batch because i flunked in one subject in my final year. Do you know what the service conditions for SSC is. I heard they have made it 10 years. Can you please explain in detail.
siddharth_k
BRFite -Trainee

TGC Course July 07 [AEC Entry]

Post by siddharth_k »

The Adv for AEC Entry for TGC July 07 Course [PC/IMA]
does not mention eligibility 'MCA/PG in Comp Science for Education Branch.

Does this mean there are no vacancies for MCA in AEC this time?
Can someone throw some light.

Thank You.
shek
BRFite

Post by shek »

sad news guys, a 1st termer did himself in few days back at the OTA. was from Phillora 84.
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

Hey, Is knowing Hindi essential to join the army? What language is used mostly to communicate?
Thanks
abhishek
BRFite -Trainee

Post by abhishek »

Hindi is not necessary, but overtime, they all learn Hindi, I have never seen a military person not speaking Hindi. Officers tend to communicate in English/Hindi, enlisted personnel tend to communicate in Hindi.
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

Cheers, Abhishek
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Defence Academy to hike seats from ’09
In a bid to meet the shortfall of officers in the armed forces, the National Defence Academy (NDA) has decided to increase its intake by 140 cadets. The academy currently admits 1,800 cadets each year. While the increased intake -- which translates to an increase of roughly 25 cadets per batch -- is likely to start from 2009, the academy will start expanding infrastructure from next year.

Advertisment
Related Stories

National Defence Academy turns to Internet to bring its alumni togetherPrithvi test-firedBRO Afghan project delayed by a yearJet pilot hit by bus on tarmac in GuwahatiFM calls for monitoring of Defence spending

The academy will add one more squadron to the existing 15 to accommodate the extra cadets. "Work will start in the coming year and we will get a new building within two-three years. The plan is to increase the strength from the current 1,800 cadets to 1,940 cadets," NDA commandant Lt Gen AK Chopra said. The increase of 25 cadets per batch will be distributed among all three services as per the current proportion.

The academy, which currently gives BA and BSc degrees to cadets from JNU, is also starting a BTech course for all naval cadets. As per the requirements of the Navy -- which is making a BTech degree compulsory for all officers -- the academy will start the course from 2009. While nothing concrete has come out yet, the Navy is in talks with IIT Mumbai to give the BTech degrees.

"We are working out the details, but it has been proposed that cadets will spend the first two years at NDA and complete the course in the next two years from the Naval Academy at Ezhimala in Kerala," deputy commandant and chief instructor Rear Admiral C S Patham said. He said the tri-services spirit of the academy would be retained as naval cadets will spend two years at the academy.
Harshad
BRFite

Post by Harshad »

Defence Academy gets a rural splash
PUNE: Punjab and Haryana, once strongholds for recruitment of defence officers, no longer enjoy the monopoly.
According to officials at the National Defence Academy (NDA), a quiet change is taking place in the pattern of recruitment of commissioned officers with a substantial number of aspirants hailing from rural and semi-urban areas and with no military background.

The change in the profile has necessitated the academy to start a tailor-made personality development capsule for sixth-termers, besides starting a language laboratory to hone communication skills.

NDA commandant Lt Gen A K Chopra told TOI that these measures were being initiated in view of the background of the recruits. Of late, there has been an increase in the number of recruits from states like UP, Bihar, MP and Uttaranchal, with a substantial number of them coming from non-military backgrounds and rural and semi-urban areas, Chopra said.

Echoing Chopras views, a senior official at the academy said of the 1,817 cadets currently at the academy, only around 22% had a military background.

He said in the past the academy has received third and fourth generation cadets from Punjab, Haryana and Delhi.
While Delhi continues to send 7-8% of recruits to the NDA, Uttar Pradesh tops the list with 27%, followed by Bihar and Madhya Pradesh.

NDA officials said Uttaranchal sends about 8-9%, while Kerala and Tamil Nadu send about 8% and 5%, respectively. The number of recruits from Rajasthan, another army stronghold, has remained static over the years. North-eastern states and Gujarat rank at the bottom of the list.

Rear Admiral C S Patham said six key areas, including communication skills, leadership qualities, motivation and conflict management, had been identified as areas in which the cadets needed help.
Harshad
BRFite

Post by Harshad »

49 officers graduate from Air Force Technical College
Bangalore: Forty-nine officers, including four women, graduated into the Indian Air Force at the Graduation Parade of 67th Aeronautical Engineering Course held at Air Force Technical College, Jalahalli West, on Friday.

The college is considered the alma mater of the aeronautical engineers for the IAF. Apart from Indian officers, 11 from the Air Forces of Sri Lanka, Indonesia, Ghana and Myanmar completed their training in the Aeronautical Engineering (Mechanical) and Aeronautical (Electronic) streams. Air Marshal Yeshwant Rao Rane, Air Officer-in-Charge Personnel, Air Headquarters, reviewed the passing out parade. The President's Plaque for the Best All Round Officer was awarded to Flying Officer S. Krishnadas.

Flying Officer R. Guruprasad won the Vice-President's Sword of Honour for standing second in merit in the course.

The Chief of Air Staff Medal for the best Mechanical stream was awarded to Flying Officer Prashant Varma and in Electronics stream to Flying Officer Krishnadas.
satya
BRFite

Post by satya »

In a bid to meet the shortfall of officers in the armed forces, the National Defence Academy (NDA) has decided to increase its intake by 140 cadets.
As per articles in media , shortfall in Defence services has been mainly due to lack of ' suitable candiates ' deemed fit enough to join as Officers.

From the above media headline it can mean only one of two factors :

1] a shorfall in induction of officer cadre under SSC [ direct entry for Graduates other than NDA] level ?

2] expansion of Indian Army manpower ? which explicitly means tht RR manpower has not been drawn on temporary basis from regular infantry and other services but on permanent basis and have been rotated and not reported ?

comments?
Amya
BRFite -Trainee

CDS(II) 2006 - Results Out!

Post by Amya »

The results of the Combined Defence Services(II) -2006 exam conducted on 17th of September, 2006 were declared on 18th of January, 2007 i.e yesterday. Please follow the link below to know more.
http://upsc.gov.in/exams/press-note/wri ... 2_2006.htm

I have cleared the exam for OTA. Although there is lot of information/help regarding the SSB in this thread, I would like to request the experienced here to give me some useful tips or things-i-should-not-do advices, that would help me in some way.

Congrats to all those who have cleared the exam and All the best for the SSB.

OTA, here I come.....

Regards,
-Amit
shek
BRFite

Post by shek »

excellent amya. all da best. as of now i'm on chutti...will be goin bak to unit soon. i visited OTA for a day a week back..the Academy rocks!..awesome mess and even better accdm, but the Academy is 'cold' now...followin the recent suicide and run away case...
Amya
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Amya »

@shek,

Thanks!

Yeah, I too have read about the gloomy incidents clouding the academy these days. Prospective candidates discuss these issues in forums like Orkut and often do not find answers to there questions/concerns. I guess I should be directing them to BR.

On the other note, do you have any advices as far as the SSB goes? anything and everything is welcome. :)

Regards,
-Amit
shek
BRFite

Post by shek »

ya amit, ure right. in fact a month back or so one girl posted a topic with the subject "A lot is going wrong at the OTA" or something to that effect. after i went thru it i found out that she was in the academ and basically couldn keep up so she withdrew and now writes crap about tht place! its really stupid and immature. the acadmy is tough NO DOUBT but what else can one expect from a MILITARY ACADEMY. more than 25000 officers and 2000 or so lady officers have passed out of the portals of this fine and prestigious institution, they havent had any problems!
i myself was a high ranking appointment (BUO) at the OTA and have interacted with so many LCs (Lady Cadets) with regards to training and discipline and i have had no problems. Its a wonderful Academy and a hard place to train...not impossible.
With regards to SSB, amit all i can say is that you must be yourself, dont have to pretend to be somebody else. secondly, make tons of frirnds...be very frriendly and cautios at the same time. keep your mouth shut and ears open, not all the time though, speak when necessary and at regular intervals. thats more than enuf to clear.
lastly, for all those OTA types, Lt N Parthiban, 5 JAKLI, EX-OTA PHILLORA COY SSC 81 is being awarded the Kirti Chakra (P). He was an awesome guy, a true officer and a gentleman. my immediate senior at the academy, a FIGHTER PHILLOREAN to the core!
God Speed,
Ben.
Last edited by shek on 25 Jan 2007 22:05, edited 1 time in total.
Amya
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Amya »

Thanks Lt. Ben, will keep the pointers in mind.
shek
BRFite

Post by shek »

A ‘gentleman cadet’ was killed in an accidental grenade blast at the Indian Military Academy, Dehradun, on Friday.

The mishap occurred during a training session. According to IMA sources, the grenade went off accidentally, killing the cadet on the spot. He has been identified as VK Tiwari.

A Non-Commissioned Officer (NCO) was seriously injured in the incident. The incident occurred during a live training exercise.

An Army spokesman said the grenade exploded when the NCO was imparting training to the cadets. The dead cadet B K Tiwari, who hailed from Hazaribagh, Jharkhand, received shrapnel injuries and succumbed to them in the IMA hospital, he said.

The condition of the instructor-NCO, whose identity was not immediately available, was stated to be serious.

The Army has ordered a court of inquiry to probe the first-ever incident of its kind in IMA.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

satya wrote:
In a bid to meet the shortfall of officers in the armed forces, the National Defence Academy (NDA) has decided to increase its intake by 140 cadets.
As per articles in media , shortfall in Defence services has been mainly due to lack of ' suitable candiates ' deemed fit enough to join as Officers.

From the above media headline it can mean only one of two factors :

1] a shorfall in induction of officer cadre under SSC [ direct entry for Graduates other than NDA] level ?

2] expansion of Indian Army manpower ? which explicitly means tht RR manpower has not been drawn on temporary basis from regular infantry and other services but on permanent basis and have been rotated and not reported ?

comments?

Eh... I would not like to say much on this ,however the fact remains Armed forces follow the same procedures for recruitment that were followed by the British during pre-independence.The procedures arent transparent and hence the term 'suitable candidate' is a misnomer.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

shyamd wrote:Hey, Is knowing Hindi essential to join the army? What language is used mostly to communicate?
Thanks
Nope certainly not,on the contrary English takes precedence every where.
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

Cheers!
shek
BRFite

Post by shek »

Two cadets bag top honours at OTA passing out parade ( POP - SSC 83)

Shyam Sundar Bisht, son of a soldier martyred during the Indian Peace Keeping Force's operation in Sri Lanka in 1988, received top honours at the passing out parade at the Officers Training Academy here on Saturday.

He bagged both the Sword of Honour for best all round gentleman cadet and the Gold Medal for standing first in the order of merit.

"I was three years old when my father was killed," said Lieutenant S.S. Bisht, who hails from Chamoli in Uttarakhand. His father, Rifleman Balwant Singh Bisht, was in the 16 Garhwal Regiment. The young officer too will join it.

His mother Leela Devi accompanied the officer at the pipping ceremony that followed the parade.

Lieutenant General Adithya Singh, General Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Southern Command, congratulated Lt. Bisht on his achievement.

Lt. Bisht studied at the Army School in Chhail, Shimla and graduated from Rajhans College, Delhi. Joining the Indian Army was his life's ambition, he said.

Lt. Anupreksha Rawat from Delhi, who bagged both the gold and silver medals among the lady cadets, said she never worked with the sole objective of winning the top honours, but did not deny that "there is a charm in getting the medals."

Daughter of Jagmohan Singh Rawat, a civilian employee in the Ministry of Defence, and Shakuntala, a homemaker, Lt. Anupreksha is the eldest of three daughters. The officer, attached with the Signals 33 AD Regiment, has been posted in Hissar. Her family could not make it to the ceremony.

Low representation

Tamil Nadu's representation was low: four gentleman cadets and two lady cadets.

Lt. P.Amarnath of Melur in Madurai attributed the reason to very low levels of awareness among students of the State. An engineering graduate from Madurai Kamaraj University, the young officer said he succeeded in his fourth attempt to join the Army.

Lt. Vijay Manikandan did his schooling in Montfort School, Yercaud and graduation in Coimbatore. Son of a high school teacher in Poonamallee, Lt. Manikandan said his father insisted that he join the Army.

Both the officers from Tamil Nadu were of the opinion that the Armed Forces gave a tremendous opportunity to serve the nation.

Among the 235 cadets who passed out, the maximum number was from Uttar Pradesh with 39, followed by Maharashtra (28), Rajasthan (23), Haryana (19) and Punjab (16). There were seven each from Kerala and Karnataka and three from Andhra Pradesh.

Bisht was my jangoo (junior) at the Academy and a superb one at that! Well done Bisht!
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Congratulations to Lt. Bisht from all of us at B-R. Speaks volumes of his patriotism and courage for joining the army and defending our country despite losing his father at such a young age.
shek wrote:Two cadets bag top honours at OTA passing out parade ( POP - SSC 83)

Shyam Sundar Bisht, son of a soldier martyred during the Indian Peace Keeping Force's operation in Sri Lanka in 1988, received top honours at the passing out parade at the Officers Training Academy here on Saturday.

He bagged both the Sword of Honour for best all round gentleman cadet and the Gold Medal for standing first in the order of merit.

"I was three years old when my father was killed," said Lieutenant S.S. Bisht, who hails from Chamoli in Uttarakhand. His father, Rifleman Balwant Singh Bisht, was in the 16 Garhwal Regiment. The young officer too will join it.

His mother Leela Devi accompanied the officer at the pipping ceremony that followed the parade.
Amya
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Amya »

Hello,

I have been recommended for the SSC(NT)-86 course starting October, 2007. Thanks to all those who wished me to get through. I wish to live upto the huge expectations. Looking forward to join the Academy.

Lt Ben,
Sir, Any tips you have for me, like the do's and dont's before/after joining the academy are most welcome.

Thanks,
Amit
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

Centre urged to announce establishment of Defence University
New Delhi, May 20 (PTI): Haryana on Saturday urged the Centre to immediately announce the establishment of a National Defence University and a brigade-size military station in the state.

"The people of Haryana are anxiously waiting for the announcement regarding the establishment of National Defence University and a brigade-size military station in Rewari which has a rich military tradition," Chief Minister, Bhupinder Singh Hooda, said.

The Chief Minister also urged the Centre to commence construction of Military School at Matanhill in Jhajjar district, the foundation stone of which was laid in 2003.
dinesha
BRFite

Post by dinesha »

Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

Youth from Manipur makes history as he passes out of NDA
A farmer's son from Manipur, 21-year-old Yumnam Romen Singh is the first cadet from the Northeast to win the President's Gold Medal and to have the honour of commanding the Passing Out Parade. 8)

Singh, who hails from a remote village in Manipur called Lamgmeidong, proudly declared that he was the first person to become a commissioned officer in the armed forces from within a periphery of ten kilometres around his native place.

"My father inspired and motivated me to join the Armed Forces. He is a farmer, but he always wanted me to be in the Armed Forces. He sent me to Sainik School in Imphal and got the application form for the NDA," he said.

The eldest among three brothers, Singh, who is an evidence of the changing profile of the NDA cadets from urban to rural and from high-income to low-income -- said he has now become an inspiration for his siblings as also other youth from his village to join the Armed Forces.

Singh, who has opted for the Indian Air Force (IAF), also expressed the hope that his becoming a commissioned officer would remove the prejudices that people of his region have about the Armed Forces.

Earlier, addressing the cadets, Antony exhorted them to be abreast with the technological developments in keeping with the changing requirements.

"Not only must you be soldiers today but scientists and technicians as well," he said, noting that exposure to IT and basic engineering is crucial in today's age of globalisation where all activities, civilian or military, are profoundly influenced by developments in science and technology.

Antony also said science is not everything and told them their major challenge would be to strike a harmonious balance between tackling the requirements of the battlefield of the future without losing sight of the need for humane management.

"The Armed Forces, to which you are the newest entrants, have a long and honourable history of service with dedication and commitment to our nation and society. We in Government are aware of the tough conditions of service and other problems and have taken several measures to bring about improvements including new accommodation facilities and liberalised leave rules," Antony said.

"Let me assure you that we are firmly committed to this process and I am sure that you will find that the quality of life you all will enjoy is materially better than that which your seniors experienced during their cadet days," he added.
As was mentioned in an article that was posted in another thread, the Sainik Schools can be the key to overcoming the officers' shortage in the armed forces. Scholarships to children from low income families to attend Sainik Schools, with a goal to join the armed forces, will bring the results.
Juggi G
BRFite
Location: Martyr Bhagat Singh Nagar District, Doaba, Punjab, Bharat. De Ghuma ke :)

Re: Indian Armed Forces Academies

Post by Juggi G »

'Our hard work is evident only when the nation needs us'
Rediff India
NDA Commandant Air Marshal T S Randhawa
Vriksh
BRFite

Post by Vriksh »

Armed Forces Disenchantment can be easily remedied by

1. Requiring all (ok maybe most) state and central govt. posts be reserved for retirees from the Armed forces

2. Reducing the retirement age for armed forces to 35-40 and guaranteeing employment in govt. positions after retirement. This keeps the fighting force young and the civil servants attuned to the needs of the defence of the nation

3. A special university should be created to retrain the personnel to fit civilian jobs. This will allow a higher quality of intake to the nation knowing that the plum civil positions will be available for post soldiering careers.

What I cannot figure out is why such simple steps are not being thought of by the establishment
RayC
BRF Oldie

Re:

Post by RayC »

ayo_gorkhali wrote:Hi there
I am a student from Nepal.

I am very interested to join the Indian Army. I did my class 11 and 12 from Dehradun but right now I am doing my college from Kathmandu. I have visited a GR unit twice and I am sure that is the kind of life I want. Just to let you know how interested I am, I would like to mention that once I know an officer, I never lose my contact with him.

I have got a few queries. I would be very grateful to you if you could let me know your views on the following issues.

My queries are as follows.

1)I am a Nepali but I am interested to join the Indian Army as an infantry officer. Earlier, I was damn sure about it. Even my parents and kins have no problems with this. But sometimes, people in Nepal probably make me think that it is not fair to join the Indian Army being a Nepali. I want to know what do you guys feel about it. The concept of army is very different in Nepal. Very few take it as a challenging and rewarding career unlike in India. In Nepal, to most of the people, it is the last option and most of the applicants are those who cannot perform well in studies.

2)A year back, I had a highway accident. I had to undergo an operation after that. I have got some keloid marks on my shoulder and some marks of operation on my leg. But they do not hamper me in running or anything. Do you think it will affect my selection?

3)The other query is about the publiction of my results of the 8th semester. I am currently in the 2nd semester. My results may not be published on the time prescribed by the selection board. Although this thing has already been discussed on the forum, it seems like whatever you said was not a very sure fact as there were cases where the guys whose results did not come on time were not interviewed. Pls comment.

4) Is it important to be able to wink a single eye for joining the army?

5)What restrictions/limitations will a Nepali officer have in promotion etc ? What is the highest rank a Nepali is given?

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Bye.
No problems in joining the IA.

There is no discrimination on promotions either.

You can become the Chief of the IA if you are good enough.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Re:

Post by RayC »

JimmyD wrote:Hi,

Some of you may have seen me post and here and there on the forum once in a while - I was hoping you could help me out with a query I had. I've always been interested in joining the Air Force as a pilot. However because I have glasses, I can't become a pilot. So, I was considering joining the Army in the Short Service Commission. I have read up a bit on the details regarding the SSC and the selection process etc. However, I was unable to find any information regarding medical requirements - particularly eyesight. That remains my biggest my biggest concern. I am also partially colour blind, i.e. although I can see all the colours fine - I can't find some of the numbers in the dots test for colour blindness. Basically, I just have trouble where I have to distinguish between two very close shades of the colour.

As for other details - I am currently in my last year of Electrical Engineering in Canada. I actually only moved here 2 years ago with my parents. I have lived in Mumbai most of my life and even finished two years of Electronics Engineering at Vivekanand engineering college (VESIT - Chembur).

I hope some of you guys could help me out with the information.

Thanks,
Jimmy
If you are colour blind or night blind, then there is no chance of joining.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

RayC Sir, plz check yahoo mail.
will delete this post after you acknowledge.
Rahul.