Supreme Valour: IA Units in World War II

Shahid Zaki
BRFite -Trainee

Supreme Valour: IA Units in World War II

Post by Shahid Zaki »

Friends,<BR>I am posting information on the Indian army units that fought in the Far east, North African and European theater during second world war. Even as time passes the memory of their valour will continue to live in the new generations of Indian Army offficers and men. <P>This is a rememberance and dedication to their service <BR> <BR>The following Indian regiments and their battalions served in Africa, Europe, and/or Western Asia during the war.<P><B>INDIAN ARMOURED AND CAVALRY REGIMENTS</B><P><BR><B>Skinner’s Horse</B><P><B>2nd Royal Lancers</B> <P><B>4th Lancers (Hodson’s Horse)</B><P><B>6th Lancers</B> <P><B>10th Guides Cavalry</B><P><B>11th PAVO Cavalry</B><P><B>13th DCO Lancers</B><P><B>14th Prince of Wales’s Own Cavalry (Scinde Horse)</B><P><B>17th Cavalry (Poona Horse)</B><P><B>18th Cavalry</B><P><B>19th Lancers</B><P><B>21st Horse Central India Horse</B><P><BR><B>INFANTRY REGIMENTS</B><P><BR><B>1st Punjab Regiment</B> <P><B>2nd Punjab Regiment</B><P><B>Madras Regiment</B><P><B>Bombay Grenadiers:</B><P><B>Mahratta Light Infantry</B><P><B>Rajputana Rifles</B><P><B>Rajput Regiment</B><P><B>8th Punjab Regiment</B><P><B>Jat Regiment</B><P><B>Sikh Regiment</B><P><B>12th FF REGIMENT</B><P><B>13th FF RIFLES</B><P><B>14th Punjab Regiment</B><P><B>15th Punjab Regiment</B><P><B>16th Punjab Regiment<P>Dogra Regiment</B><P><B>Garhwal Rifles</B><P><B>19th Hyderabad Regiment(KUMAON REGIMENT)</B><P><B>1st Gurkha Rifles</B><P><B>2nd Gurkha Rifles</B><P><B>3rd Gurkha Rifles</B><P><B>4th Gurkha Rifles</B><P><B>5th Gurkha Rifles</B><P><B>6th Gurkha Rifles</B><P><B>7th Gurkha Rifles</B><P><B>8th Gurkha Rifles</B><P><B>9th Gurkha Rifles</B><P><B>10th Gurkha Rifles</B><P>[This message has been edited by Shahid Zaki (edited 08-05-2001).]<P>[ 05-09-2001: Message edited by: Administrator ]
Shahid Zaki
BRFite -Trainee

Re: Supreme Valour: IA Units in World War II

Post by Shahid Zaki »

I will post the current titles of these units as I gather information on them.
JCage
BRFite

Post by JCage »

Thanks shahid!!
Roop
BRFite

Post by Roop »

Good job, Shahid! Thanks for taking the trouble.<BR>
dsandhu
BRFite

Post by dsandhu »

Good Job Shahid<P>Regarding the Punjab REgiment all of them except the 2 Punjab were alloted to Pakistan<P>the 2 Punjab is the present Punjab Regiment in India.<P>11 Sikh is the present Sikh Regiment and 2,3 4 are the present 2 Sikh, 3 Sikh and 4 Sikh.<BR>7 Sikh was a newly raised battalion during ww2. In the early 1960's it was renamed 5 Sikh and 7 Sikh was reraised as a new battalion in 1963.<P>JAI HIND<BR>
vsunder
BRFite

Post by vsunder »

Mr Zaki,<BR>Hope you checked your facts. 2nd battalion,<BR>5th Mahratta LI, is the famous Kali Panchwin<BR>or black 5th. This battalion won battle honors in Keren in Burma in WW2 and then was in Japan for about 5 years after the end of hostilities. An Internet search under Kali<BR>Panchwin will reveal all this, I am tired<BR>to do these things and furnish links. So it is unlikely that the 2/5 Mahratta LI was in the Western Desert. It does not matter though they were in the war so you are right on that point and the rest is hair splitting ain't it. Most people do not know the origin of the title "kali panchwin".<BR>It arose in the siege of Mangalore( my hometown) in the<BR>wars with Tippu. 2/5 or its antecedents were<BR>in the siege with the 78th Highlanders the "Black Watch" who were so impressed with them that they conferred on them the title<BR>"Black" also. Many people including an old time Sainik Samachar correspondent of the Marathi version of that newspaper thought<BR>that "black" was because it was an Indian regiment till I pointed out to him the real history.<BR>By the way didn't the CIH mutiny at Mumbai <BR>prior to boarding ships and so were not sent to North Africa, thats what I thought happened to the Central India Horse.<P>Admins: Is it possible I can remain a New member forever,( I am very serious!) I am getting dangerously close to becoming a member. Maybe I will demand this privilege for "services rendered" and those who know, know what I am talking about ;-)<BR>Its OK if you need to delete the # of posts<BR>to bring me back to New member, I will be very happy.<BR>
Shahid Zaki
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shahid Zaki »

Thank you respondents,<BR>interesting facts seem to be coming to light. Thats the idea behind a topic like this, to get a sense of history.
Shahid Zaki
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shahid Zaki »

I noticed an error in the list, 6th punjab should be actually 16th punjab. I have corrected this in the original post.<p>[This message has been edited by Shahid Zaki (edited 23-04-2001).]
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

give the devil its due Image<BR>I am translating this news from a regional/vernacular news paper <A HREF="http://www.deepika.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.deepika.com</A> <BR><hr><BR>By the year end, a memorial will be raised in London, for the brave Indian soldiers who fought for the British Empire in the two world wars. A lady Shareena Flather (sp) fought for a monument in London for the dead Indian soldiers.<P>4 Memorial gates will be built in the passage way leading to the Buckingham palace from the Hyde park corner.<BR><hr><BR>Some other news papers had said that India does not have a war memorial (i.e a memorial with names of the men inscribed on it). The India-Gate has names of the soldiers, but they all died fighting under the Union Jack.<P>------------------<BR>Sachin P.K<BR>-------------------------<BR><A HREF="http://sachin_pk.tripod.com" TARGET=_blank>Sachin's Camp on the Web</A><BR>-------------------------<BR>
ks_sachin
BRF Oldie

Post by ks_sachin »

The 17th Dogras either became the 1st Dogras after wards (present 7th Mech Inf) or the 2nd Batallion which my grandfather and father commanded.<BR>cheers<BR>sachin<BR>Kartavyam Anvatma<BR>
Shahid Zaki
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shahid Zaki »

Prahri,<BR>My last town in India was Mhow(next to Indore) before coming to US. I am pretty familiar with Mhow and Indore.
Shahid Zaki
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shahid Zaki »

My father was commissioned into 1st Bn Garhwal Rifles which was raised in 1887, this later became 6 MECH INF. He later raised and commanded 15 MECH INF in 1981, the first orginal MECH INF Battalion of the Indian Army.<p>[This message has been edited by Shahid Zaki (edited 23-04-2001).]
dsandhu
BRFite

Post by dsandhu »

Some more info on the regiments posted by Zaki<P>Regarding 2nd Punjab, the Present Punjab Regiment. the 1st Battalion went to Paras when they were formed.<P>Also another titbit both 1st and 3rd battalions, both had Indian CO's during WW2. Both won DSO's. Lt. Col Thakur Mahadeo Singh for the 1st battalion and Lt. Col. S.P. Thorat for 3rd battalion.<P>JAI JAWAN<P>
dsandhu
BRFite

Post by dsandhu »

Shahid<BR> Could not agree more with you. The same is doubly true for all the battalions which were transfered to Mech. Infantry. I think its time that these battalion (mech Inf. ones) which are rich in history should be allowed to grow with the parent regiment. Their stories and valour are a big source of encouragement to new recruits.
dsandhu
BRFite

Post by dsandhu »

Was there not a MLI battalion that fought alongside the Australians at Tobruk during WW2?<BR>
Shahid Zaki
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shahid Zaki »

<B>7th INDIAN DIVISION, in Burma Campaign</B><P> Image <P>DIVISIONAL COMMANDERS<BR>Maj/Gen Sir F. Messervy (K.B.E. C.B. D.S.O.) later Lt/Gen<BR>Maj/Gen G.C. Evans (C.B.E. D.S.O.) <P><BR><B>Headquarters Brigade</B><BR>13th Frontier Force Rifles (M/Gun) <BR>3rd Gwalior Lancers <P><B>Divisional Artillery</B><BR>136th. 139th. Field Regt (Royal Artillery) <BR>24th A/Tank Regt (Royal Artillery)<BR>25th Mountain Regt (Indian Artillery) <P><B>33rd Indian Infantry Brigade</B><BR>1st Btn Queens Own Royal Regt <BR>4th Btn 15th Punjab Regt<BR>1st Btn Burma Rifles <BR>4th Btn 1st K.G.O. Gurkha Rifles <P>COMMANDED by<BR>Brig. G. Collingwood (D.S.O.)<BR>Brig. A. Vickers (D.S.O.)<BR>Brig. L.H.O. Pugh (D.S.O.)<BR>Brig. G. Loftus Tottenham (D.S.O.)<P><B>89th Indian Infantry Brigade</B><BR>2nd Btn Kings Own Scottish Borderer Regt<BR>1st Btn 11th Sihk Regt<BR>7th Btn 2nd Punjab Regt<BR>4th Btn 8th Gurkha Rifles<P>COMMANDED by Brig.W.A. Crowther (C.B.E. D.S.O.) <P> <P><B>114th Indian Infantry Brigade</B><BR>1st Btn Somerset Light Infantry Regt<BR>2nd Btn South Lancashire Regt<BR>4th Btn 14th Punjab Regt<BR>4th Btn 5th Royal Gurkha Rifles<P>COMMANDED by Brig. H.W. Dinwiddle<P> <P>Royal Indian Army Service Corps<BR>20th.57th.63rd.65th. Animal Trt Coy's(Mule) <BR>60th.61st.130th.164th. G.P. Trt Coy's<BR>29th..30th..31st.32nd. Composite Issue Coy's<P>Medical Services<BR>I.M.S. R.A.M.C. I.M.D. I.M.C. I.A.M.C.<BR>44th.54th.66th. Indian Field Ambulances<P>7th Indian Division Provost Unit<BR>7th Indian Division Signals Unit<P>Indian Army Ordnance Corps<BR>107th Ordnance Sub-Park<P> <P>Indian Electrical & Mechanical Engineers<BR>6th.39th.133rd Infantry W/Shops Coy's<BR>7th Indian Division Recovery Coy<P><BR>Indian Engineers Sappers & Miners<BR>77th Field Coy K.G.O. (Bengal Lancers)<BR>62nd.421st Field Coy's Q.V.O.(Madras)<BR>303rd.331st. Field Park Coy's Q.V.O. (Madras)<P><p>[This message has been edited by Shahid Zaki (edited 08-05-2001).]
Shahid Zaki
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shahid Zaki »

STRUCTURE OF THE DIVISION: (Order of Battle 1942)<P><BR>17th INDIAN INFANTRY DIVISION, BURMA CAMPAIGN<P>Divisional Artillery<BR>129th Fld Regt (Royal Artillery)<BR>82nd A/Tank Regt (Royal Artillery)<BR>1st Indian Fld Regt (Indian Artillery)<BR>2nd Indian A/Tank Regt (Indian Artillery)<BR>21st.28th.29th. Indian Mountain Regt (Indian Artillery)<BR>1st Indian Light A.A. Regt (Indian Artillery)<P>16th Indian Infantry Brigade<BR>1st Btn 9th Jat Regt (Royal)<BR>4th Btn Frontier Force Rifles<BR>2nd Btn Duke of Wellington's Regt<BR>1st Btn 7th Gurkha Rifles<BR>2nd. 4th. 5th. 7th. 8th. Btn The Burma Rifles<BR>COMMANDED by Brig. J.K. Jones<P>46th Indian Infantry Brigade<BR>1st Btn Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry<BR>5th Btn 17th Dogra Regt<BR>3rd Btn 7th Gurkha Rifles<BR>9th(?) Baluch Regiment<BR>COMMANDED by Brig. Ekin up to the Sittang Bridge catastrophe of 1942 after which the 46th ceased to exist<P>48th Gurkha Brigade<BR>1st Btn 3rd Q.A.O. Gurkha Rifles<BR>1st Btn 4th P.W.O. Gurkha Rifles<BR>2nd Btn 5th Royal Gurkha Rifles (F.F.)<BR>COMMANDED by Brig. R.T. Cameron for most of the 1st campaign and well into 1942. It is believed that he was then relieved by Brig. N. Hugh-Jones<P>44th Indian Infantry Brigade<BR>6th Btn 1st Punjab Regt<BR>7th Btn 8th Punjab Regt<BR>6th Btn 14th Punjab Regt<BR>COMMANDED by Brig. G. Ballantine<P>7th Armoured Brigade<BR>7th Queens Hussars<BR>2nd Royal Tank Regt<P>Back to top of page<P> <P>Indian Engineers Sappers & Miners<BR>70th Fld Coy K.G.O. (Bengal Lancers)<BR>60th Fld Coy Q.V.O. (Madras)<BR>414th Fld Park Coy K.G.O. (Bengal Lancers)<BR>24th Fld Coy (Royal Bombay)<BR>Tehri Garhwal Fld Coy (State Forces)<P>The Following Regiments also served with this Division during the withdrawal from Burma.<BR>1st Btn Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)<BR>1st Btn Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers<BR>2nd Btn Duke of Wellington's Regt<BR>6th Btn 7th Rajput Regt<BR>6th Btn 9th Jat Regt<BR>9th Btn 13th Frontier Force Rifles (M/Gun)<BR>An Infantry Btn of Chinese Army<BR>
Shahid Zaki
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shahid Zaki »

LNS,<BR>I know a source, let me know what aspects you are interested in.<p>[This message has been edited by Shahid Zaki (edited 26-04-2001).]
Johann
BRF Oldie

Post by Johann »

LNS, for an orbat of Allied forces at Gallipoli you can look here <A HREF="http://www.gallipoli-association.org/Ga ... Battle.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.gallipoli-association.org/Ga ... tle.htm</A> <P>The 29th Indian Brigade was attached to the composite ANZAC division which landed on Cape Helles.<P>The 7th Brigade Indian Mountain Artillery was assigned to the ANZAC Corps, and I think that they actually landed on anzac cove. <P>The orbat also lists the Indian Mule Corps and Indian medical personnel.<P>At the time I think something like 1/4 of all cavalry and infantry personnel in Indian units were actually British - mostly officers and senior NCOs. The percentage was much higher in artillery units of the time. This did not begin to change until the '30s, and of course drastically accelerated in WW2. <P>I certainly think that the Indian contribution were appreciated, at least at the that time. On George V personal suggestion the Royal Pavilion in Brighton was converted into a hospital for wounded Indian soldiers.<P>Incidentally some 5,000 Frenchman died on Gallipoli, but you don't hear much about them either, even from the French. Even a number like that was a drop in the bucket when compared to the horrors of Verdun and the like.<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Johann (edited 26-04-2001).]
Johann
BRF Oldie

Post by Johann »

LNS,<P> Absolutely. I think all sorts of good things will happen when Indians cherish and promote their military history. After all it was the Ozzies and Kiwis who made Gallipoli synonymous with their names, rather than anyone else. Again though I'm curious as to how you would classify the deaths of British officers and other ranks serving in RIA units. Would they form part of that total tally you're looking for? <P>I would suggest getting in touch with the <BR>Commonwealth War Graves Association, the<BR>Oriental and Indian Office of the British Library which holds British records of the Indian Army up to 1947. <P>British Records which migh also be useful are held by the Public Records Office<P>All of these have contact information on the web.<P>There are also several scholarly/enthusiast WW1 groups on the web that could help you narrow down specific sources. Here's one of them <BR> <A HREF="http://raven.cc.ukans.edu/~kansite/ww_one/wwi-l.html" TARGET=_blank>http://raven.cc.ukans.edu/~kansite/ww_one/wwi-l.html</A>
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Great Links to start with! A treasure trove of pictures<BR> <A HREF="http://www.mod.uk/index.php3?page=2266#2WW" TARGET=_blank>http://www.mod.uk/index.php3?page=2266#2WW</A> <P> [img]http://www.mod.uk/data/[(1209)-20-11-2000]6-6-large.jpg[/img] <P>Lysanders of No.1 Sqn<P> [img]http://www.mod.uk/data/[(1217)-20-11-2000]6-10-large.jpg[/img] <P>Pilots of a Hurri Sqn, that sardar is definitely Arjan Singh!<P><small><p>[This message has been edited by Jagan (edited 26-04-2001).]
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

K K Majumdar DFC and Bar<P> [img]http://www.mod.uk/data/[(1724)-20-11-2000]8-3-large.jpg[/img]
Shahid Zaki
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shahid Zaki »

Jagan,<BR>Thanks for the great images of Indian Air Force heroes. The link that you pointed to also has other great pictures, I will post these shortly.<p>[This message has been edited by Shahid Zaki (edited 26-04-2001).]
Shahid Zaki
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shahid Zaki »

Members of the Indian Armoured Corps of the 8th Army, San Felice, with local boys. <BR> [img]http://www.mod.uk/data/[(1023)-20-11-2000]5-2-large.jpg[/img] <P>Men from the Rajput Regiment, Burma, 1944. <P> [img]http://www.mod.uk/data/[(1214)-20-11-2000]6-9-large.jpg[/img] <P>Bren gunner gives cover to members of the 6th Royal Frontier Force Rifles, under fire from German mortars, Lanciano, Italy, December 1943. <P> [img]http://www.mod.uk/data/[(1047)-20-11-2000]5-5-large.jpg[/img] <P><SMALL> <p>[This message has been edited by Jagan (edited 27-04-2001).]
Shahid Zaki
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shahid Zaki »

Jagan,<BR>I wanted the pictures that are the on links above to come on the thread. How does one do that I tried [img]and[/img] does not seem to be working. Your help is appreciated, by the way I am also form Hyderabad currently in US.<BR>Thanks
Joeqp
BRFite

Post by Joeqp »

Shahid Zaki
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shahid Zaki »

Manvendra,<BR>Thanks for the great links, all of them very informative.
Shahid Zaki
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shahid Zaki »

Field Marshall Slim, Commander of 14th Army<BR>and Ex Gurkha Officer<BR> Image
Shahid Zaki
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shahid Zaki »

SIKH LI was known as SIKH Pioneers in during WW2, awaiting information about its war time service. <P>[img]http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/LAND-FORC ... width="600[/img]<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Shahid Zaki (edited 06-05-2001).]
Shahid Zaki
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shahid Zaki »

This is how San Felice, Italy looks today<BR>8th Indian Division captured this town from the Germans after heavy fighting.<BR>[img]http://cso.ulb.ac.be/~msebille/msan.jpg"%20WIDTH="600[/img]<SMALL><p>[This message has been edited by Jagan (edited 01-05-2001).]
Shahid Zaki
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shahid Zaki »

Notice Brig. Thimmaya's name, he went on to become Chief Of the Army Staff.<P>Also, 1/18 Garhwal Rifles of the 71st Brigade is my father's battalion. My own childhood was spent in the environs this unit in the early 1980s.<P><BR><B>26th INDIAN DIVISION, FAR EAST FRONT</B><P> Image <P>Headquarters Brigade<BR>12th Btn 12th Frontier Force Rifles (M/Gun)<P>Divisional Artillery<BR>160th (Jungle) Field Regt (Royal Artillery)<BR>20th Indian Mountain Regt (Indian Artillery)<P><B>4th Indian Infantry Brigade</B><BR>1st Btn The Wiltshire Regt<BR>2nd Btn 7th Rajput Regt<BR>8th Btn 8th Punjab Regt<BR>6th Btn 11th Sikh Regt<BR>2nd Btn 13th Frontier Force Rifles<BR>3rd Btn 9th Gurkha Rifles<BR>COMMANDED by<BR>Brig. A.W. Lowther (O.B.E. D.S.O.)<BR>Brig. J.F.R. Forman (C.B.E. D.S.O.)<P><B>36th Indian Infantry Brigade</B><BR>1st Btn North Staffordshire Regt<BR>8th Btn 13th Frontier Force Rifles<BR>5th Btn 16th Punjab Regt<BR>1st Btn 8th Gurkha Rifles<BR>COMMANDED by<BR>Brig. (later Maj/Gen) L.G.Thomas (C.B.E. D.S.O. M.C.)<BR>Brig. K.S. Thimayya (D.S.O.)<BR>Brig. G.L. Roberts (O.B.E.)<BR>Brig. I.C.A. Lauder<BR>Brig. J.A. Mellsup<P><B>71st Indian Infantry Brigade</B><BR>1st Btn The Lincolnshire Regt<BR> 5th Btn 1st Punjab Regt<BR>7th Btn 15th Punjab Regt<BR>9th Btn 15th Punjab Regt<BR>1st Btn 18th Royal Garhwal Rifles<BR>COMMANDED by<BR>Brig. G.G.C. Bull (D.S.O.)<BR>Brig. R.C. Cattrell Hill (D.S.O. O.B.E. M.C.)<BR>Brig. H.N. Chambers (C.B.E.) later Maj/Gen.<BR>Brig. H.P.I. Hutchingson<P><BR><p>[This message has been edited by Shahid Zaki (edited 08-05-2001).]
Shahid Zaki
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shahid Zaki »

An army Jeep besides a pagoda in Burma, reminiscent of battles fought here. It was Indian army that saved far-east and the invasion of India by the Japanese via Burma.<P> Image <p>[This message has been edited by Shahid Zaki (edited 04-05-2001).]
Joeqp
BRFite

Post by Joeqp »

Thanks, Shahid, for bringing up this topic.<BR>It is sad that we, as a nation, have forgotten our brave soldiers from the past.<BR>You know what would be nice? If we can put together a map which points out all the places around the world where there is a monument (or even a mention) of Indian troops' contributions and sacrifices.<BR>Then, the next time one of us is in the neighborhood, we can visit the place.<BR>For example, the Korean war memorial in Washington DC has a plaque for India (among the countries who sent their sons).<BR>I'm sure there are other such memorials in Europe, Burma, etc.
Shahid Zaki
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shahid Zaki »

Manavendra,<BR>Thanks for the support, I hope this thread is archived for the benefit of those amnog us who know little about India's contribution to victory over adversity in second world war.
Shahid Zaki
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shahid Zaki »

Following Indian Units formed part of the famous Chindits, the elite strike force in the far east front.<P>77th Infantry (Indian) Brigade: Brig. J.M. Calvert <P>1st Lancashire Fusilers <P>1st South Staffordshire regt. <P>1st King‘s regt. <P>3/6th Gurkha rifles <P>3/9th Gurkha rifles <P>111st Infantry (Indian) Brigade: Brig. W.D.A. Lentaigne <P>1st Cameronians <P>2nd King‘s own Royal regt. <P>3/4th Gurkha rifles <P>4/9th Gurkha rifles <BR>
dsandhu
BRFite

Post by dsandhu »

Zaki<BR> The Sikh LI DID NOT fight as Sikh Regiment in various wars. Sikh LI was earlier on known as Sikh Pioneers and was completely different from the Sikh Regiment.<BR>
Shahid Zaki
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shahid Zaki »

Dsandhu,<BR>Thanks for the correction, I will go ahead and make the change. In the meantime if you could find info on SIKH LI's ww2 contribution let me know
Shahid Zaki
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shahid Zaki »

<B>23rd INDIAN DIVISION, BURMA FRONT</B><BR> Image <BR>Notice Ist BN ASSAM REGT under 1st Infantry Brigade.<P><B>Headquarters Brigade</B><BR>5th Btn 15th Punjab Regt<BR>8th Btn Punjab Regt (M/Gun)<BR>2nd Btn 10th Hyderabad Regt<P><B>Divisional Artillery</B><BR>158th. 179th. Field Regt (Royal Artillery<BR>38th Light A/A Regt (Royal Artillery)<BR>3rd Indian Field Regt (Indian Artillery)<BR>28th Indian Mountain Regt (Indian Artillery)<BR>2nd Indian A/Tank Regt (Indian Artillery)<P><B>1st Indian Infantry Brigade</B><BR>1st Btn Seaforth Highlanders<BR>1st Btn 16th Punjab Regt<BR>1st Btn The Assam Regt<BR>1st Btn Patiala Infantry Regt (State Forces)<BR>COMMANDED by Brig. A. King<P><B>37th Indian Infantry Brigade</B><BR>3rd Btn 3rd Q.A.O. Gurkha Rifles<BR>3rd Btn 5th Royal Gurkha Rifles<BR>3rd Btn 10th Gurkha Rifles<BR>COMMANDED by Brig. H. Maradin<P><B>49th Indian Infantry Brigade</B><BR>4th Btn 5th Mahratta Light Infantry<BR>6th Btn 6th Rajputana Rifles<BR>6th Btn 5th Mahratta Light Infantry<BR>COMMANDED by Brig. F. Esse<P>1st Bn Assam Regt is listed above and fought in Burma.<P> Image <P><p>[This message has been edited by Shahid Zaki (edited 08-05-2001).]
Shahid Zaki
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shahid Zaki »

<B>THE 19th INDIAN INFANTRY DIVISION</B><BR> Image <BR>Headquarters Brigade<BR>7th Light Cavalry<BR>8th K.G.O. Cavalry<BR>11th Btn Sikh Regt (M/Gun)<BR>1st Btn 15th Punjab Regt<BR> 1st Btn The Assam Regt<P><B>Divisional Artillery</B><BR>26th. 28th.115th. Fld Artillery (Royal Artillery)<BR>33rd A/Tank Regt (Royal Artillery)<BR>3rd Indian Fld Regt (Indian Artillery)<BR>20th Indian Mountain Regt (Indian Artillery)<P><B>62nd Indian Infantry Brigade</B><BR>2nd Btn The Welch Regt<BR>3rd Btn 6th Rajputana Regt<BR>4th Btn 6th Gurkha Rifles<BR>COMMANDED by Brig. J.R. Morris (D.S.O.)<P><B>64th Indian Infantry Brigade</B><BR>2nd Btn The Worcestershire Regt<BR>5th Btn 10th Baluch Regt<BR>1st Btn 6th Gurkha Rifles<BR>COMMANDED by<BR>Brig. A.G. Bain<BR>Brig. J.E. Flewetts (D.S.O.)<P><B>98th Indian Infantry Brigade</B><BR>2nd Btn The Royal Berkshire Regt<BR>6th Btn 12th Frontier Force Rifles<BR>4th Btn 4th P.W.O. Gurkha Rifles<BR>COMMANDED by Brig. C.K. Jarrard<P><p>[This message has been edited by Shahid Zaki (edited 08-05-2001).]
Shahid Zaki
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Shahid Zaki »

Just found out that Brig. W.D.A. Lentaigne, who commanded an Indian Chindit Brigade was also the first commandant of Staff college, India.<p>[This message has been edited by Shahid Zaki (edited 01-05-2001).]