Armed Forces Senior Appointments & Officers

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Vice Admiral K N Sushil has taken over as Inspector General Nuclear Safety as of 01 Jan 2007.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

Heard that next air force chief will be Fali H. Major. Is this mentioned somewhere on BR? Haven't seen it.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

Rakesh wrote:Vice Admiral K N Sushil has taken over as Inspector General Nuclear Safety as of 01 Jan 2007.
What post is this? IS this under IHQMOD? IDS? What does he do?
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Boss, I don't have a Hail Mary's clue. It could be something to do with the IDS as you have suggested. However Vice Admiral Krishan Nair Sushil was the previous Flag Officer Submarines (FOSM) and it may be something to do with the ATV (Advanced Technology Vessel), the secretive nuclear submarine of the Indian Navy that is under development. He also served as the Director of Submarine Operations (DSO). Seeing how high profile the ATV project is, appointing a senior & experienced Naval officer to a very vital aspect of this submarine seems logical. His appointments of FOSM and DSO does suggest that. Take a look at the title itself - Inspector General Nuclear Safety. This could be more or less be along the lines of Director General (Inspection and Flight Safety) that is in the IAF. The analogy is between the titles and not the nature of work in these two appointments - which are like night & day! The good Admiral will be responsible of the Navy's handling of nuclear fuel for the boat and everything else that goes with it. If this is a newly created appointment, which I think it is, it suggests that the ATV has come into maturity and we may see an Indian nuclear boat patrolling the waters of the Indian Ocean (which is rightfully India's) in the next decade. Watch for more appointments (at the Rear Admiral, Commodore and Captain ranks especially) in the near future, as the Indian Navy gears up for its most important mission it has ever undertaken in its naval history.
shek
BRFite

Post by shek »

JE Menon wrote:Heard that next air force chief will be Fali H. Major. Is this mentioned somewhere on BR? Haven't seen it.
heptr pilot. First ever to become chief. thats good news.
Vivek_A
BRFite

Post by Vivek_A »

Nutty RAT from nutty nation is lurking..

http://www.nation.com.pk/daily/feb-2007/7/columns5.php

New IAF chief

S.M. Hali
Indian government has appointed Air Marshal Fali Homi Major, the existing Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the Eastern Air Command in Shillong, as the next Chief of the Air Staff of Indian Air Force (IAF). He will succeed Air Chief Marshal Shashindra Pal Tyagi when he retires on March 31, 2007 according to an official announcement in New Delhi; thus ending speculations, regarding the top slot in IAF.

India has set up a healthy tradition by appointing a “Chopper Pilotâ€
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

http://www.irfc-nausena.nic.in/modules. ... ge&pid=255

As per the above link, Rear Admiral Anup Singh has been appointed as Asst Chief of Naval Staff (Air) and has been promoted to acting rank of Vice Admiral. Has the appointment of ACNS (Air) been upgraded to Vice Admiral rank?

Secondly, it states that Rear Admiral DK Joshi has been appointed as ACCP. What does ACCP stand for?
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

http://www.irfc-nausena.nic.in/modules. ... ge&pid=255

As per the above link, Rear Admiral DK Joshi has been appointed Commandant NAVAC. What is NAVAC?

Secondly, it states that Rear Admiral R Khanna has been appointed as Project Director HQ AVTP. What is AVTP?

Thirdly, it states that Rear Admiral Vijai Singh Chaudhari has been appointed as SDS(N)/NDC. I assume NDC means National Defence College. But what is SDS(N)? I presume the 'N' stands for Naval//Navy.

Fourthly, it states that Rear Admiral R Gaikwad has been appointed as CI(N)/DSSC. I know DSSC stands for Defense Services Staff College. But what is CI(N)? Once again, I presume the 'N' stands for Naval//Navy.
Anurag
BRFite

Post by Anurag »

Isnt' NAVAC Naval Academy, the one at Goa!
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Thanks Anurag. I should have been able to figure that out! :oops:
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Rakesh wrote:Thirdly, it states that Rear Admiral Vijai Singh Chaudhari has been appointed as SDS(N)/NDC. I assume NDC means National Defence College. But what is SDS(N)? I presume the 'N' stands for Naval//Navy.

Fourthly, it states that Rear Admiral R Gaikwad has been appointed as CI(N)/DSSC. I know DSSC stands for Defense Services Staff College. But what is CI(N)? Once again, I presume the 'N' stands for Naval//Navy.
I have been advised that SDS(N) stands for Senior Directing Staff (Navy). Thus Rear Admiral Vijai Singh Chaudhari is SDS(N) at the National Defence College.

Secondly, CI(N) stands for Chief Instructor (Navy). Thus Rear Admiral R Gaikwad is CI(N) at the Defense Services Staff College.
Rakesh wrote:Secondly, it states that Rear Admiral R Khanna has been appointed as Project Director HQ AVTP. What is AVTP?
This link states that Commodore RK Shrawat (OSD to COM) is Project Director HQ AVTP. So it appears that there are two Project Directors for the AVTP. But what is the AVTP? I am taking a stab in the dark here, but could AVTP be Advanced Vessel Technology Prototype? Could this be the ATV (Advanced Technology Vessel) but with a different term? OSD stands for Officer on Special Duty and COM is likely Chief of Material.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

I GOT IT!!! :lol:

ATVP - Advanced Training Vehicle Programme, which is another acronym for the Advanced Technology Vessel (ATV). Click on the link below and refer to fifth para from top. I think Tribune just got the acronym in the wrong order and 'Vehicle' is actually supposed to be Vessel.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2000/20001010/nation.htm#3

If the above is indeed true, the ATV is finally coming of age! Teen Jai to the Indian Navy.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

- Vice Admiral BK Kaul Director General Naval Projects (Mumbai) appointed as program director ATVP (Design).

- Rear Admiral V Bakshi re-appointed as Director General Naval Projects (Mumbai).
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Vice Admiral Jagjit Singh Bedi (currently FOC-in-C Southern Naval Command) will take over as FOC-in-C Western Naval Command from 31 July 2007. He will be replacing Vice Admiral Sangram Singh Byce who is retiring after more than 38 years of service.

Vice Admiral Sunil Krishnaji Damle (currently Chief of Personnel) will take over as FOC-in-C Southern Naval Command. He will be replacing Vice Admiral Jagjit Singh Bedi.

Vice Admiral Dalip Kumar Dewan (currently Controller - Personnel Services) will take over as Chief of Personnel. He will be replacing Vice Admiral Sunil Krishnaji Damle.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

Hey, how come all you military forum regulars missed this, the seniormost of senior appointments in the Indian Army? :P

Lt. Gen. Deepak Kapoor to be next army chief
New Delhi, July. 26 (PTI): Lt Gen Deepak Kapoor, a veteran of the 1971 war with Pakistan who commanded the army's largest and most sensitive northern command for two years, was today named as the next Chief of Army Staff.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Kakkaji!!

This news was known to the BRites since September of 2006.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

SBajwa wrote:Kakkaji!!

Yes, but it became official only today.

By the way, I just saw the the news that the Defense Secretary, Shekhar Dutt, is also retiring.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

Picture of Gen. Deepak Kapoor in this story:

1971 veteran to succeed JJ
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Darn, Rakesh will have to start searchign for the official portrait now :D :wink:
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

found one....but too small and that not in "General" pose :D
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

The following is a question posed by a friend:

-----------------

The press (New Kerala.com, etc) has clearly stated that the govt of India has stood by the time-tested principle of seniority in appointing Lt Gen Deepak Kapoor as the next Army Chief...But, then, how come his IC number (IC-17622) is junior to that of Lt Gen Aditya Singh (IC-17565)? A similar episode occurred when J J Singh beat out Hari Prasad the last time over for the Chief's job...They were both of the same batch, but J J Singh graduated ahead of Hari Prasad on merit so got a senior IC number... I am very curious how Kapoor is being mentioned as the senior of the two now when his number is junior to Aditya Singh.

--------------------
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

AM Singh would possibly retiring before JJ retires and so AM Singh is not making it to the Chief.

AM Singh won the Gold Medal in the NDA while Negi won the Sword of Honour in the IMA.

It is all the question of Date of Birth!
AmanC
BRFite -Trainee

Post by AmanC »

Aditya Singh and JJ Singh are both September born and he retires the same day as JJ Singh on Sept 30. So he misses out on becoming the chief. As of today he is the senior most Lt Gen after the Chief.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

:D , Kapoors are Punjabi , Any one knows where was he born?
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

Per news reports a few months ago, Kapoor's son was involved in a fracas in a airport with a major airline. Threatened to come back with 60-70 Jawans the next day and teach them a lesson.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

Prem wrote:

:D , Kapoors are Punjabi , Any one knows where was he born?
How does it matter if he is a Punjabi.

He is married to Keerti who is Brig Tom Pande's daughter!
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

We are getting back to back Punjabi Generals economy is booming and Pakistan is reaching a boiling point. Though!! It will be easier for Pakistanis to surrender to a Punjabi general (like Gen. Arora) (less attack on their H&D than if they surrender to a Tamilian, Bangla, Andhariite or a Kerallite general).

BTW... What happened to the general who scared Pakistanis during Parakaram or before that (he was also punjabi Talwar or something?) (even Clinton came calling in). We want more people like him.. has he got his promotions?
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

SBajwa wrote:
We are getting back to back Punjabi Generals economy is booming and Pakistan is reaching a boiling point. Though!! It will be easier for Pakistanis to surrender to a Punjabi general (like Gen. Arora) (less attack on their H&D than if they surrender to a Tamilian, Bangla, Andhariite or a Kerallite general).

BTW... What happened to the general who scared Pakistanis during Parakaram or before that (he was also punjabi Talwar or something?) (even Clinton came calling in). We want more people like him.. has he got his promotions?
The Indian Army ethos does not subscribe to the logic of communities, caste or religion. Therefore, it does not matter what community the Chief is from.

Nor does the Indian Army promote people to be Chief based on how it will be more comfortable for Pakistani morale when they surrender!

Padmanabhan 'scared' the Pakistanis during Parakrama. I don't think he was from Punjab.

Parochialism does not auger well for the armed forces.

If parochialism is the watchword then one could mention General PN Thapar (1962), but then that would not be correct, would it?
Last edited by RayC on 28 Jul 2007 00:05, edited 1 time in total.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

I think you misunderstood. I am not talking about Indian army but about Paksitani army. They do subscribe to the logic of communities and religion (and even caste). Had they surrendered to a Tamilian or somebody from South in 1971 we might have broken their H&D. They have used their Lahori Logic to get back their perceived H&D by surrendering to Gen. Arora(punjabi surrendering to a punjabi). Thus any Punjabi general vis-a-vis pakistan is bad from my perspective.
Abhijit
BRFite

Post by Abhijit »

IMHO, even if pakis had surrendered to a banyan tree (or a mule or a pigeon or any animate or inanimate object) they would have found a way to claim their H & D back. After all it is quite easy to make fools out of people who are idiots to start with.
They have been raped,killed, converted, lorded over by thousands of outsiders for over a thousand years. Instead of begrudging them, they wear the jooti of these invaders on their heads as a mark of pride. What can you expect?
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

Bajwa

Yes. I have now got you!

I had misunderstood.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Glad, Bajwa clarified . We must make Pakjabi army generals safe when pathan comes looking for new peachy Ashnas . 8)
If Kapoor is Bakland born , it will hasten the process .
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Oh no Deepak Kapoor :(

The IA does not get a break!!
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

From my friend again

----------------------------------------------------------

Very interesting and informative responses from RayC and AmanC...I still have a follow up question....

1. What is the exact date of birth of of Aditya Singh in September ?

2. I know that, according to our BR Chiefs site, JJ Singh's birthday is Sept 17th....Would it matter if Aditya Singh's birthday is AFTER Sept. 17th?

3. It was my understanding that the adoption of the last day of a calendar month rule for determining the precise retirement day was only for administrative and accounting convenience...Not to determine fine hair splitting cases like this...So if Aditya Singh's birthday is AFTER Sept 17th, is he not deemed to still be in service as of the retirement date of JJ Singh which (for this purpose) is really Sept 17th?

----------------------------------------------------------

I have a question myself. When in 1948 was General Kapoor born?
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

Irrespective of the date of birth, one retires on the last day of the month your date of birth.

I reckon both JJ and AM are Sep born and their time is up!

Maybe Deepak Kapoor is 1948 born. It was said that he was the youngest on the course.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

Surya wrote:Oh no Deepak Kapoor :(

The IA does not get a break!!
What's wrong with Deepak Kapoor? :-?
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Kakkaji.....Surya is being sarcastic.
AmanC
BRFite -Trainee

Post by AmanC »

Well Rakesh your date of birth question is one which has been much debated before the COAS designate's name was announced. Much was written in media up North on how officers should retire as per date of birth and not on last day of the month etc etc. Seniority by IC numbers and its importance while appointing COAS was also commented upon by certain retired officers. But the policy laid down by the government cannot be ignored. Though the govt does twist its rules if it really wants to put someone in the chair as was in the case of an air chief some years back.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

The end of the month rules is to make it easy for accounting and records.

Nothing to do with any sneaky manoeuvres.