Badges, Patches, Insignia, Medals & Uniforms

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
member_4917
BRFite -Trainee

Re: Military Medals, Ribbons and Patches

Post by member_4917 »

Originally posted by Rakesh Koshy:
Y I Patel

Check out the ribbons and devices on the guy behind the commando being decorated by LKA!

Shishir

I think that the one at the top is a 'Combat Diver' badge. The oval shaped badge - Kargil??
As to the red patch at the bottom- No idea. Can anyone confirm the same?
hello shishir

the one at the top is definately Combat Diver badge and the red patch at the bottom is the commando badge that every infantary officer undergoes at belgaun, and is not the para cdo (sacrifice) badge, i confirm it because my dad has served the 9 para(cdo).
member_201
BRFite

Post by member_201 »

Posted by Jagan:

We had a similar thread sometime back that was quite interesting.

I had sometime back met a Military supplier in Hyderabad to whom I dropped a word asking him to 'collect' samples for me - as and when he finds them. It so happened that he visited up north and came back with a huge packet of stuff - (45+ Divisional patches, 25+ Armoured Regiment badges, 20+ Infantry Regiment badges and insignia etc etc) as i keep sorting out, I have come up with some interesting pieces.

I have noticed that we dont have a Rashtriya Rifles crest on Bishwa's article in the BR Monitor. So here we go:

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/Temp/RR-Crest.jpg

I also got this badge which i assume are worn by Army Officers who had a stint with the RR

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/Temp/RR-Badge.jpg

(Note: See Maj Gen Bhandari's badge in the Army Officers thread).

While sorting thru the Armd Regts badges, I found that this one did not have a number - Can anyone identify it for me? as to which regiment it is? The motto reads somthing like "Vajra Prahar Prachad Vaar" (dont know what it means either.)

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/Temp/Armed-X.jpg
AmanC
BRFite -Trainee

Post by AmanC »

Originally posted by Rakesh Koshy:
Posted by Jagan:

We had a similar thread sometime back that was quite interesting.

I had sometime back met a Military supplier in Hyderabad to whom I dropped a word asking him to 'collect' samples for me - as and when he finds them. It so happened that he visited up north and came back with a huge packet of stuff - (45+ Divisional patches, 25+ Armoured Regiment badges, 20+ Infantry Regiment badges and insignia etc etc) as i keep sorting out, I have come up with some interesting pieces.

I have noticed that we dont have a Rashtriya Rifles crest on Bishwa's article in the BR Monitor. So here we go:

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/Temp/RR-Crest.jpg

I also got this badge which i assume are worn by Army Officers who had a stint with the RR

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/Temp/RR-Badge.jpg

(Note: See Maj Gen Bhandari's badge in the Army Officers thread).

While sorting thru the Armd Regts badges, I found that this one did not have a number - Can anyone identify it for me? as to which regiment it is? The motto reads somthing like "Vajra Prahar Prachad Vaar" (dont know what it means either.)

The best place to hunt for ribbons, formation signs, regimental crests etc is Malerkotla, near Patiala. There are muslim workers who have been designing the crests for past three or four generations. You'll also find regimental banners, pennants of divisional commanders, corps commanders, fleet commanders etc with them. They are exquisitely made and one is tempted to buy all!
On a more personal note, I plan to present one banner to my dad on his 40th anniversary of commission in June this year. The banner will have the formation signs of all formations he served under during his service, including the ones he commanded.
Rakesh,
I'll take some pics and mail them to you since I don't know how to upload them.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

The following are the 'Mystery' Patches that I have - I am not able to put a number or formation name to the following ones.

-Which Corps Patch is this? It looks similar to XXXIII but is not.
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/Temp/Corps.jpg

-I am unable to put numbers on these two Divisional Patches. I take it one of them must be called 'Mace' Division.
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/Temp/Divpatchs.jpg

-Which Independent Armoured Brigade is this?
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/Temp/BrigadeArmd.jpg
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

vajra prahar prachand vaar

vajra : the weapon made out of dadhichi's skeleton for which danava's didn't have any countermeasure or a weapon (synonym to a very powerful surestrike weapon)

prahar: blow, strike

prachand: immense, deadly, with very high power and strength

vaar: attack
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Got an email saying that the above badge is from the 46 Armoured Regiment - Rakman, Please update accordingly.

-Jagan
Ed_Haynes
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Ed_Haynes »

Both ribbons are "correct", as deviance in manufacturing has resulted in both. It is all up to the military tailors to improvise.

Ed Haynes
Originally posted by Priyank:
Here's a nice website from BR's military links that is relevant to this thread -

http://faculty.winthrop.edu/haynese/india/medals/indmed.html

Added Later -

The site linked abose states that ribbons for the three yudh seva medals have an orange background. On the other hand, BR's heroism page shows the same having a yellow background. Could someone clarify which one is correct?
debjani
BRFite

Post by debjani »

The Yudh Seva medal series have orange background.

The Vishisht Seva Medal series have Yellow background.
Rajit
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Rajit »

ehsmang
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ehsmang »

I was talking to a friend who happens to know a Retd DG of Punjab Police. The retd DG is a avid medals collector and has a very exclusive collection.

Would it not be a good idea to contact him?
AmanC
BRFite -Trainee

Post by AmanC »

Originally posted by ehsmang:
I was talking to a friend who happens to know a Retd DG of Punjab Police. The retd DG is a avid medals collector and has a very exclusive collection.

Would it not be a good idea to contact him?
Yeah, that would be Sarabjeet Singh, former DGP and now DGP civil defence.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

karunamurthy
BRFite -Trainee

Post by karunamurthy »

HI all,

When i was searching for some news on Indian Airforce came across this website, its was very informative regarding the formation and SQUADRON BADGE, which excited me
here is the ling India has the 4th largest air force

I am not sure if this information in compiled already in the BRF or in one of the threads.

Jai Hind
member_201
BRFite

Post by member_201 »

Jagan
Member # 123

posted 07 October 2003 01:32 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could not find the older thread - so starting afresh.

Please id some of the unidentified patches/badges

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/Temp/Div-1.jpg

Top: 12 Div, Unidentified Div, Unidentified Div
Middle : "Mace" Div - "Swords" Div, 20th Div (Kirpan)
Bottom : 3 Inf Div, 19 Div, 18 Div

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/Temp/Div-2.jpg

Top : 15Div, 2 Div, 39 Div (Dah)
Middle: "Ace of Spades" Div, 17 Blackcat Div, 7 Div (golden arrow)
Bottom: Unidentified Div, 8 Mtn DIv, 22 Mtn Div (Ram)

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/Temp/Corps-1.jpg

top: Un Identified Corps, XVI Corps, Southern Army Command (Pune)
Middle: Air Force Station Lohegaon, XI Corps, I Corps,
Bottom: Unidentifed Corps (Printed)

Most of the Unidentified Div badges can be identified - I just need to find one of my reference books. The only Div bdges i dont have an id are the Mace and Swords Div.

Rakesh, please use em on Army pages as required.

Also, the first unofficial 'ribbons' for a yet to be announced 'Op Parakram Medal' are out on the market.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IP: Logged

aditya.g
Member # 3918

posted 07 October 2003 03:23 AM
Can we discuss (read drool about) army uniforms and IAF/IN stuff in this thread?

Jagan
Member # 123

posted 07 October 2003 03:43 AM
yeah aditya you can discuss uniforms here , but only if you are able to identify atleast three of the unidentified batches above... you have to prove you are qualified to do so..dont you ?

aman
Member # 4329

posted 07 October 2003 04:07 AM
Jagan,
That AF Stn Lohegaon badge does not seem to be the right identification. It looks like it has something to do with Engineers since the logo is similar to the one used by the Corps of Engineers. It must be the formation sign of College of Military Engineering.

aman
Member # 4329

posted 07 October 2003 04:12 AM
The mace badge belongs to 29 Div.

aman
Member # 4329

posted 07 October 2003 04:18 AM
And the unidentified Corps at the bottom is 3 Corps. But the first one really puzzles me. Could it have something to do with the strategic command?

Jagan
Member # 123

posted 07 October 2003 04:27 AM
Aman,

you are right - the AFS Lohegaon could be the CME. I never for one heard of Air Force personnel chaps having Div Sign type patches - but the guy who gave these things was so adamant that it was worn by "air force chaps in pune"...

Any luck with the div patches?

Jagan
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Badges, Patches, Insignia, Medals & Uniforms

Post by Jagan »

Kindly keep this thread "alive" - the old thread is gone and I would like to keep this thread going with some new material every day or so. But first - A Query on two patches.

Someone emailed me the following two Sleeve Patch images for me to Id - No clue as to what they are. Going by Mandeep's post in one of the thread, I am guessing the one with the gun and missile is an Air Defence Brigade or an ARtillery Division. Any ids?

Additional Note to Forum Mods Please retain this format of posting inline images on this thread - I am taking care to see that the images are all very small in filesize (25kb) and in dimensions (around 300-400 pixels width). Thank you.
Last edited by Jagan on 12 Aug 2004 11:36, edited 1 time in total.
Rupak
Webmaster BR

Post by Rupak »

Jagan
The first one is DELHI AREA. Note all area commands are on that red/maroon background.
The second one looks like 40 Arty Div (IIRC)
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

OH NO! Where did the old thread go? That thread was a gem! :cry:
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Rakesh wrote:OH NO! Where did the old thread go? That thread was a gem! :cry:
:rotfl:

Rakman

you will probably find most of the badges andother scans in the Temp dir..though the info is now lost. While you are at it, you might want to use the image in the army galleries.

Rupak

Thanks for the explanations.

cheers

Jagan
Mandeep
BRFite

Post by Mandeep »

Rupak is absolutely right.
Sharma
BRFite

Post by Sharma »

Dear Frens

Below mentioned badge is of 30th Artillery Div based at Ambala (Westorn Command)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v372/ ... RF/UN1.jpg
Mandeep
BRFite

Post by Mandeep »

Is there a 30 Arty Div ? Haven't heard of it.
Rupak
Webmaster BR

Post by Rupak »

I wasn't aware of a 30 Arty Div either!

Post by Guest »

Hi!

In case any one is interested in old badges, This one was my fathers, He was in the Chindits in WW2. The 23rd Indian Long range penetration Brigade, To be exact. Although information about them seems scarce.

I am assuming he got his unit name correct, but he was on his death bed at the age of 85 when he described them as anything other than Chindits.

regards,
Spiral
Sharma
BRFite

Post by Sharma »

rupak wrote:I wasn't aware of a 30 Arty Div either!
I think am getting confused with the name. Its either 40th or 30th Arty Div. Help me if you can.....
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

More Patches
Maharashtra Area Patch. (c/o Kapil)

Rashtriya Rifles Patch - But I dont know if the people under the various forces like KILO, DELTA, VICTOR etc wear it or if its for some other occasion

this is a "WT qualified" patch - signifying that the person wearing it is a Qualified Weapons Trainer? Is that correct? , who awards this qualification and who wears this patch on what occasion?

I am completely clueless - Another Arty Div? (c/o Kapil)
Mandeep
BRFite

Post by Mandeep »

A black background indicates an infantry formation. My guess is 9(I)Mtn Bde Gp. Independent infantry brigades used to have a royal blue background on their formation signs but that seems to have been forgotten over time.
DaX
BRFite -Trainee

Post by DaX »

Jagan wrote:......this is a "WT qualified" patch - signifying that the person wearing it is a Qualified Weapons Trainer? Is that correct? , who awards this qualification and who wears this patch on what occasion?....
The military term for these patches is 'Formation Sign/Badge' and is worn on the left sleeve of the uniform. Accordingly, the formation badge cannot have any connotation other than indicating the HQ/Command/Corps/Div/Bde. In addition, a badge worn on the right sleeve will be indicative of other information.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

DaX wrote:
Jagan wrote:......this is a "WT qualified" patch - signifying that the person wearing it is a Qualified Weapons Trainer? Is that correct? , who awards this qualification and who wears this patch on what occasion?....
The military term for these patches is 'Formation Sign/Badge' and is worn on the left sleeve of the uniform. Accordingly, the formation badge cannot have any connotation other than indicating the HQ/Command/Corps/Div/Bde. In addition, a badge worn on the right sleeve will be indicative of other information.
Yeah Dax, But this particular sleeve patch is not a Formation Sign or badge and is very definitely something else. It might be an institutional sign - like the patches for College of Defence Management, IMA, NDA etc.. but then again ..for what?

I checked up with a couple of mil supplirs and they only know its called a WT Qualified 'div sign' as they would call the shield shaped patches.

I have similar metal badges (like the one affixed on this one) and I was told they are for different qualifictions. pt instructor, boxing instructor etc. Atleast i am sure the boxing insructor is correct as it has a pair of boxing gloves on it.

If you or anyone knows anyone in the army, it would be easier to gt info on this.

cheers

Jagan
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

other interesting stuff.

[Image
Mountaineering Instructor? or Qualified mountaineer?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v372/ ... /Quals.jpg
Other Instructors incl Boxing INstructor

This one is an easy one - the NSG Commando Badge.
DaX
BRFite -Trainee

Post by DaX »

.... but then again ..for what?

I checked up with a couple of mil supplirs .....
Could it be Canada/ US Army/ Marines style?
Any inputs from the US members? One of the ex- guys informs that it could probably be the QWT as mentioned, worn at the Infantry School / College of Combat / Army War College (whatever it may be called now).
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

ASPuar
Posted: 13 Aug 2004 11:41 pm Post subject:

Looks like the new gorget patches have already gone into action.

http://photogallery.indiatimes.com/arti ... type-0.cms

Heres another one.. two medical generals..

Youll notice the major general to the left is wering the old oak sprig pattern gorget while the lieutenant general to the right has started wearing the stars on his.

ASPuar
Posted: 14 Aug 2004 12:02 am Post subject:

Incidentally, has anyone noticed that army uniforms from once upon a time being "OG" olive greens, have gone to being a sort of dark brown/green/blackish mixture? Is this a conscious decision, or just a gradual trend? I still see officers sporting the light olive green as well....

Case in point, this picture.. at first i thought general patankar and the other general were just wearing a faded uniform.. but then it seemed to me that they wouldnt do that for a solemn occasoin, and anyway, i suddenly realised that this is what most officers uniforms used to look like in the 1980's....

Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Anoop
Posted: 14 Aug 2004 05:23 am Post subject:

In the above picture, the officer on the right in the first row, who I think is Lt. Gen. J.S. Verma, wears his shoulder ribbons (for want of the right term) over his right shoulder, while everybody else wears theirs over the left. Why? And why does the Chief not wear his Peak Cap?
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

ASPuar wrote:
Looks like the new gorget patches have already gone into action.

ASP,

Good find on the pictures, I was trying to track down some of them. The papers are carrying photos once in a while, but I could not find any online image to link till date.

The new patches were adopted on July 18th, nearly a month back.

http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstor ... wsid=91951

http://www.hindu.com/2004/07/18/stories ... 651800.htm

new flags for all General officers came into force too.
Kapil
Webmaster BR

Post by Kapil »

Jagman,

The Arty Div is an AD Arty Div.I think 41 AD ARTY or 40 AD ARTY.

The ice-axe is a HAWS graduate,I think.
Everytime I see such threads,I am reminded of the stuff I have to scan and upload ..sigh.... :wink:
Dawes
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Dawes »

www.tridentmilitary.com/New-Photos14/ind10c-b.jpg

This is billed as a "semi-desert" IA pattern. Real or just for commercial consumption?
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Dawes wrote:www.tridentmilitary
The Trident military website is all junk - Not worth discussing here.
Shishir
BRFite

Post by Shishir »

In the picture below, members of the expedition team sport 'SCOUTS' patches on their shoulders. Ladakh Scouts??
Also what does the insignia on the green berets signify?
Link
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

shishir wrote:In the picture below, members of the expedition team sport 'SCOUTS' patches on their shoulders. Ladakh Scouts??
Also what does the insignia on the green berets signify?
Link
Shishir, Good find, they are the Dogra Regiment soldiers - and Dogra Regt has a Dogra 'Scouts' Unit - the correct origins and significance I am unaware. This is similar to a Kumaon 'Scouts' bn that the Kumaon Regt operates.

Also noted the Four Star Collar Tab of the COAS.
Mandeep
BRFite

Post by Mandeep »

Yes, these soldiers are from the Dogra Scouts. The cap badges are those of the Dogra Regt.
Shishir
BRFite

Post by Shishir »

Couple of questions with regards to the pictures of Major Rathore below..

1. The orange patches above the right pocket - Is this army related(Army marksmanship unit maybe??) or is this something to do with the Olympics?
2. What is the silver coloured button shaped object/patch on the left pocket?
3. Also just above the 'Army Marksmanship Unit' tab, what does the U-shaped patch (I'm not sure what that is called) with the red background indicate? Major Rathore is with the Grenadiers; maybe the Grenadiers unit he is with??

Thanks.
p.s: Note the shoulder tab of the 'Army Marksmanship Unit'. I've never seen this one before..

Image 1
Image 2