Indian Railways Thread

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
bala
BRFite

Post by bala »

Delhi Metro: First rail project on UN green list
Delhi Metro has become the first rail sector project in the world to be registered at the UN under the clean development mechanism (CDM) scheme, enabling it to earn carbon credits.

By selling these carbon credits, Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) would now earn Rs 1.2 crore per annum for a ten year period starting December 2007. DMRC can now claim 40,000 CERs per annum for a ten-year period.

This project is for the use of regenerative braking systems in trains wherein the kinetic energy released when the brakes are applied is supplied back to the overhead electricity lines. This results in about 30 per cent of electricity saving.

Incidentally, Indian Railways also uses locomotives with regenerative braking systems and acceptance of this methodology at the UN would make it easier for Railways to get its project registered.
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

If the Kashmir Railway is coming online only in 2011,we should add Leh/Ladakh also.
Actually it is more likely to be 2015. This is just the babu date.

The new banihal tunnel is scheduled for completion in 2013. Allowing for complications atleast 2 more years.
Railways are needed in Arunachal big time.No Arunachal rails shown in India Rail Network map.
Gangtok-Tawang line should be first priority.
A better bet would be a connection to Itanagar for which a survey was completed in 1995.

If I remember correctly Gangtok to Tawang would go through Bhutan!!

The problem is that state with a population under 2 million is quite simply un-remunerative.
And if we're making them now,might as well make them fast:-Inductrack.
The issue for North East lines has been money (horrible terrain) and security. Speed kills under such circumstances. The Lumding to Kumar Ghat Guage conversion line has been hanging fire for years now.
bala
BRFite

Post by bala »

Why do we have such bozo agreements, China is not the speed leader in trains. Japan, France, Germany are the leaders. When a Tata has shown the world that a Nano with Indian Engineering is possible, why cannot the Indian Railways (now that it has oodles of profit) put together a team with a mandate to come up with a suitable system that is the world leader.

China to help India to increase speed of trains
China has agreed to provide more speed to Indian trains and help develop railway stations in this country to international class.

The highest speed an Indian train has logged so far is 150 km/hour by Shatabadi Express between Delhi and Agra.

In China, the highest speed recorded is 275 km/hr.

The two countries' cooperation in rail sector is envisaged in a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed during Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's recent visit to Beijing.

Experts from the two sides will visit each others' facilities and help in training personnel.

The agreement, valid for three years, envisages development of rail-related programmes of mutual interest.

The other areas in which India seeks cooperation of the Chinese Railway include development of multimodal logistics parks, heavy haul operations and research and development.

Senior officials of China's Railway are expected to visit India soon to firm up the details and modalities of mutual cooperation.

The Chinese Railways' experience in signalling and telecommunication, traction supply, high axle load operations, design and maintenance practices, track machines, development and operations and multimodal transport in railway sector would be of benefit to Indian Railway.

Chinese railways carry the highest level of freight traffic in the world and a very high level of passenger traffic.
bala
BRFite

Post by bala »

Wonderbar, Things are moving in the Railway Station makeover.. copyright SudeeshNair of SCC, Trivandrum Skid proof railway platform edges and smooth granite floors.

The next step is to remake the awnings, walls, etc.

Also it is necessary for high speed trains to completely bypass the station, seeing one flashing by, kicking up dust is rather dangerous and polluting.
Yerna
BRFite

Post by Yerna »

In my recent trip to India, I noticed that most railway stations are clean (speaking of SCR between Hyd and Tirupati). They did a wonderful job in getting rid of beggars and other trash from the platforms. The only sore point is the open hole in the ground lavatories in trains which produce unbearable stench and is plain health risk for passengers. Boards requesting passengers not to use toilets when train is stopped will only do so much, they need to find a better way.

Oh did I mention that they were using machines to clean the platform in Secunderabad?
Gaurav_S
BRFite

Post by Gaurav_S »

Yerna wrote:The only sore point is the open hole in the ground lavatories in trains which produce unbearable stench and is plain health risk for passengers. Boards requesting passengers not to use toilets when train is stopped will only do so much, they need to find a better way.
I was wondering of making toilets compact and probably arpprox 6' height which is usual in Boeing's. Which will perhaps discourage passengers from using it. Hole in lavatories is quite unaccptable and unhygenic way of disposing waste.
upendora
BRFite -Trainee

Post by upendora »

The existing lavatories should be retrofited to close the exit of the dump hole while at stations. We can design something like a electric or non-electric lever pulled by driver while approaching towns. Maybe I am pipe-dreaming. The lavatories can still be used when the lid is closed at the hole exit.
Yerna wrote:The only sore point is the open hole in the ground lavatories in trains which produce unbearable stench and is plain health risk for passengers. Boards requesting passengers not to use toilets when train is stopped will only do so much, they need to find a better way.
KrishnaMu
BRFite -Trainee

My pipe dream Part - Un

Post by KrishnaMu »

Whether its following traffic signal or not to use toilet on public station or urinating on neighbours walls (my personal favourite) or not jump on Q' when you are in Que

How far government take responsibility (i.e., put simply circuitry where driver can close all the toilets on station its not big deal after all next yr we are launching probe onto moon it will be child’s play I guess)? of each individual personal etiquette. I find fundamental flaw in our system or culture? Our parents always keep reminding us how hard you have to work to get good marks, make good life and good wife. Our teachers always warn you if you don’t learn algebra and botany you will never become a engr or doc respectively.
But I wonder how many parents ever tell show respect of fellow Indian citizen how many teachers ever tell you don’t skip the Q’s? this is very simple things do we ever learn this before mathematics 1st rank or chemistry 1st rank.

I am really sorry to say this and I hope I will eat my own words one day. In our culture we have attitude “Chalta Hai bhaiâ€
Rudranathh
BRFite

Post by Rudranathh »

Boy's alertness averts train accident

Chennai, Jan. 29 Thanks to the alertness of a youth boy, a possible train accident was averted with the timely detection of a crack on the rail track near the Wallajabad-Palur level crossing.

Railway sources said Ganesh Kumar (21), a hut-dweller, noticed a three-inch crack in the track. As a local train running between Thirumalpur and Chennai Beach came on the track, he ran back to his house and took a red dupatta and waved at the train to stop it.

The driver stopped the train and informed the officials at the Palur Railway Station. A Railway team inspected and repaired the track.
Rudranathh
BRFite

Post by Rudranathh »

Mumbai monorail lines expected to be ready by 2009
Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Mumbai: Mumbai monorail lines, the first in the country, could be ready and will start operations by the end of 2009 with financial bids for the project expected to be invited by the next month, a senior government official said today.

The Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) had received proposals from seven firms for constructing the monorail lines and is presently in the process of scrutinising them, Commissioner of the MMRDA Ratnakar Gaikwad said.

"In the next month we expect to invite financial bids and the process should be completed two months after which work will begin," he said.

The MMRDA is planning to construct three monorail lines between the suburbs of Chembur and Mahul, Lokhandwala to Kanjurmarg and Thane to Bhiwadi in neighbouring Thane.

The first and second line are 10 kms long each, while the Thane line will be 25 kms long. "Since monorails can be set up faster than railway lines we expect the project should be ready by December 2009," Gaikwad said.

In monorail systems the vehicle is mounted on a single track, instead of two in conventional rail systems, but has lower passenger capacity.

The seven consortia which have been shortlisted after submitting proposals are Bombardier Transportation, Anil Ambani-led Reliance Energy with Hitachi, Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Engineering with Siemens, Larsen and Toubro, KPTL with INTAMIN, Videocon with Aerospace and Gammon with MET Rail.
upendora
BRFite -Trainee

Re: My pipe dream Part - Un

Post by upendora »

I wish I can apply spam filter here.
Please post your rant in social/etiquette/nukkad respective thread.
KrishnaMu wrote:Whether its following traffic signal or not to use toilet on public station or urinating on neighbours walls (my personal favourite) or not jump on Q' when you are in Que
bala
BRFite

Post by bala »

This is Jan shatabdi interior courtesy SudeeshNair SCC

I believe these are new German origin coaches, made in India.
What is with those ugly black colored ceiling fans, can't the bozos in the design dept come up with a better alternative than the old fans. Why have entry/exit in midst when a better layout could be at the ends of carriage. At least we have modern aircraft style seats and overhead rack. Lighting can also be vastly improved.

Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

The chairs look like contraptions meant for execution. The floor is of such poor quality that the it would get slippery in the rainy monsoons. When all the dirt and mud will get on board from the platforms carried under the shoes the the car will look like a fish market.
abhishek
BRFite -Trainee

Post by abhishek »

Sometimes we complain about anything and everything... :roll: ...there is nothing wrong with those fans...the entry & exit is in the middle to avoid doors on either ends and increase the costs. Two wider doors in the center is way cheaper then 4 narrow doors at the ends...
Last edited by abhishek on 31 Jan 2008 07:09, edited 1 time in total.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

Bade, I prefer those IR chairs any day over the cruel Victorian Corsets (coach class seats of airlines). Infact, if one can get over the whole "looks dirty" part(most of them are usually dusty, even AC ones), they are actually quite comfortable and you can sleep pretty decently. And they are remarkably wide, compared to even bijinejj class airline seats.

The fans, yeah, what is wrong with them? I thought the whole world is going for the "retro look" ;) Infact I hope someone comes up with some decent recessed ceiling fans for the Nano, as an aftermarket accessory. If it can be connected to a strip of photovoltaics (like the Brunton solar rolls used for expeditions), we got Al Gore and his FWB, Pachauri, on the mat.

Added later: Btw, I meant the seating in the older IR Chair Car coaches. I realized that this is some new german design, which I have never checked out.
Gaurav_S
BRFite

Post by Gaurav_S »

Over 8 lakh signal failures in 7 years

[quote]In the seven years between 2000 and 2007, 22 railway accidents occurred because signal systems operated by Indian Railways have failed train drivers. In a reply to a Right To Information (RTI) application filed by Mint, the railways listed 8,62,463 incidents of signal failure between April 1, 2000, and March 31, 2007; of these, 22 caused accidents.

Although the railways refused to disclose how many people were killed in these accidents, Mint has independently assessed, from a senior signalling officer who was in service during the period, that the toll was likely about 100.

“India invests very little on improving signalling systems and we need to spend more in improving the system,â€
upendora
BRFite -Trainee

Post by upendora »

Are the Germans experienced in dealing with Indian heat. I hope they adopt desing changes like silver painted roofs to reflect heat. I hate when fans keep blowing hot air from top.

The black coloured fans stand out due to the rest of the lighter colour.
If these cars are used for only shatabdi trains (daytime,terminal-to-terminal), less lights and doors are good ideas.
bala
BRFite

Post by bala »

Just for comparisons a TGV interior.

Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

I seriously doubt the pictures are of the LHB coaches. It looks like one of the 15 year old design local metal box ones. I thought the LHB coaches only ply the NR/CR/WR sectors currently ? I've not heard of them being deployed on TVM-COK . Further, on the SSC thread, Sudheesh states that the pic is from the 2nd class compartment. Here's a pic of an Indian Railway LHB coach interior:
Indian Railway LHB coach interior - Bhopal Swarna Shatabdi Express
Exterior view:
LHB coach
Old dabba coach
I am pretty certain the earlier picture is from one of these old dabbas. The LHB coach interior is, as the above picture shows, significantly better.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

having gone on real shatabdi I can say the seats, pitch and leg space are far more comfortable than airline coach class and easy to sleep in. there is even a pricier executive class with just 4 huge seats in a row..more like lazy-boy type sofas.
sure it aint the TGV but one has to be realistic for indian clientale and price point. all those nice cushions would be ripped and stolen in short order.

only rugged, sasta and tikau stuff works for now.
bala
BRFite

Post by bala »

That LHB coach interior - Bhopal Swarna Shatabdi Express looks good. Hope they standardize the rest on such format, also noticed that the doors are at the end. so all in all good.

Waiting for the rest of the dabba coaches to end up in the recycling bin.

Indian railways needs to embark on a good shaped engine sleek nose coned, better ergonomics for the driver and better speeds that the existing ones. 200 kmph should be achievable quite easily. All railway stations should have a bypass, so that the fast moving trains can completely skip the stations. With better signalling and revamp of railway crossing, average times to move from one big metro to another can be brought down drastically.

Railway station upgrade is another topic waiting to happen across the nation.

There are enough funds to make the transition. Once the transition happens then India would truly have a train system of world class quality.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

Would not mind having a few TGV quality premium cars for the ones who can afford it. Slowly, with time the rest of the unwashed masses can be upgraded to the same level as the baseline quality of life improves all around. Indian cities already display signs of living at multiple levels of comfort and luxury. So no worries of a mass revolution for this sort of discrimination.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the engines of WDM/WAP later models in service today are easily capable of pulling a 10-12 coach Shatabdi or in a dual-engine config a 25 coach standard long haul train at 150kmph in the plains. problems holding us back are:-

- only the latest coaches are capable of sustained 110kmph+ uses. there are
tons of old coaches
- 1000s of antique bridges some dating back to british era that can only be
done at slow speed
- old railway alignments that need to be straightened and funds lacking for
same
- lines through populated dense areas wherein people resists the idea of
fencing it totally which is a must for sustained 100+ kmph runs in populated areas
bala
BRFite

Post by bala »

Image of the Golden chariot. The Golden Chariot will soon be on the rails, traversing tourist destinations in Karnataka and Goa. The Golden Chariot will add to the culturally rich tourist attractions in India. The southern region has not had a luxury like this and hopes to replicate the success of Palace on Wheels.

The Golden Chariot will start from Bangalore and cover Mysore, Kabini, Hassan, Belur, Shravanabelagola, Hampi, Aihole, Pattadakal, Badami and Goa, from where it will begin its return journey to Bangalore. The luxury train will start its trial run from second week of February and its full commercial journey of seven days and seven nights will begin on March 3, when the 19 ‘thematically designed coaches’ of the train will be fully operational. Eleven passenger coaches, equipped with modern amenities such as wi-fi environment and plasma TV. The cabins are inspired by the Mysore and Belur Halebid schools of art and architecture. The bedspreads are hand-woven by artisans who have carried down the tradition through ages.

The coaches have been named after the dynasties that ruled Karnataka – Kadamba, Hoysala, Rastrakuta, Ganga, Chalukya, Bhahamani, Adhilshahi, Sangama, Shathavahna, Yudukula and Vijayanagara.

The unique facility the train offers is its satellite supported television, which unlike the other luxry trains, could provide the tourists with live feed of news and other programmes beamed by various channels.

The package will cost $350 a day, which includes the travel, stay on land and food.

ImageImage

Added Later:

Deccan Odessy; another tour train.

Palace on Wheels

ImageImage
Last edited by bala on 01 Feb 2008 03:21, edited 3 times in total.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

ANy blog on travel tourist for Blore/Madikeri and Mysore
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

bala
BRFite

Post by bala »

This is very upsetting, look at the outside metal panels. So many bumps and dumps, are these hand crafted, not stamped by machines. Pathetic quality for a brand new coach.

hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

Bala-saar, them bogies were peachy and TFTA when it left ICF Perambur. The sheet metal gets distorted due to constant fluctuations in temparature. Think of the operating conditions in India during summer and then sudden drop in temperature. You must have noticed the same in aircrafts operated by the airforce. Parking it out in the Indian sun is not a good idea for anything with large areas of sheetmetal and riveting.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

then how come the A320/737 constantly out in the sun have skin smooth as a young woman's belly ? just asking...they ought to suffer too ?
Suppiah
BRF Oldie

Post by Suppiah »

The question can be answered by looking at Delhi Metro coaches imported from Korea or LHB coaches from Germany before IR started making them.

IR manufacturing is obsessed with screws and rivets - you can see small soap dish holder banged in with a dozen rivets, each hammered away at random spacing. But then you can't expect quality from an organisation that gets allocated business and all the time in the world to make them for a customer who has to take it anyway.
abhishek
BRFite -Trainee

Post by abhishek »

not stamped by machines

No one stamps a part when you have to make only a few hundred a year.
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

Err a rust colored 'Golden Chariot'? Atleast they could have used better color scheme!
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Sunil saar the color scheme has a reason, no one will be able to make out the Paan/Ghutka stains on the chasis which would easily stand out on lighter colors. :idea: :D
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

negi wrote:Sunil saar the color scheme has a reason, no one will be able to make out the Paan/Ghutka stains on the chasis which would easily stand out on lighter colors. :idea: :D
:D :D possible Negi Saab!

But seriously I am bit disappointed to see my home state's Luxury train's external color scheme! They should have also included the virgin beaches of Karnataka! Maravante is very very unique place on the West coast.

Well one can't get everything. Atleast on my next visit, I can take SHQ in style around Karnataka. (She is from North) :D
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

well finally our first "panda-gold station" may come up - where else but nai dilli. Panda has MKIed all their major cities to this std per SSC.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Rel_ ... 762749.cms

Reliance, GMR, GVK may bid for Delhi railway station

7 Feb 2008, 0125 hrs IST,Anshul Dhamija & Dwaipayan Ghosh,TNN

BANGALORE/NEW DELHI: Many of the country's leading developers and corporate groups are expected to bid aggressively to bag the Rs 5,000-crore government order for the modernization of the New Delhi railway station. In the fray are Mukesh Ambani's Reliance Infrastructure, brother Anil Ambani's ADAG group, GMR, GVK and L&T.

Sources said, Mukesh Ambani's Reliance Infrastructure is mulling a bid for the upgradation and development of the station in partnership with a foreign company.

"Reliance is currently talking with various international players," said a source. The source also said Socit Nationale des Chemins de fer Francais (SNCF), France's state-owned national railway, is currently the front-runner to partner Reliance.

SNCF manages more than 800 million passengers and 135 million tonnes of freight annually and is responsible for more than 30,000 kilometres of rail track in France. The company has also built the Shanghai railway station.
;)

Sources said that Reliance's interest in this project is not part of its larger retail interest but purely a new vertical that its infrastructure arm is looking at entering. Earlier, TOI had reported that Reliance Infrastructure was planning a foray into the development of airstrips in tier II and tier III towns of Maharashtra to support its Rs 40,000 crore retail rollout.

With the aim to make it the 'face of Delhi' in the run up to the Commonwealth Games, the railway ministry is looking to turn the New Delhi Railway Station into a world-class facility modelled on the famous Beijing and Kowloon stations in China. But, if sources in the railway ministry are to be believed, even the landscape around Ajmeri Gate and Paharganj might just get an intense facelift.

Hong Kong-based architecture firm Terry Farell and Partners had been working on a feasibility report for the new station and is expected to submit its proposal some time soon.

According to railway ministry officials, there are a number of interesting features that the firm will propose to the ministry for the improvement of the station.

''The project will take up 86 hectares of prime land around the present station and is estimated to cost around Rs 5,000 crore. It is expected to cater to 7 lakh passengers and more than 300 trains every day,'' said an official.

The station currently handles over 3,50,000 passengers daily with around 250 trains arriving and departing from its 12 platforms.

''Like international airports, there will be segregated corridors for incoming and outgoing passengers besides having commercial centres with food courts, ATMs, AC rest rooms, shopping plaza, foreign exchange kiosks, bookshops and touch screen televisions to provide information to passengers. Integration of the terminals will be done with sky concourses for arriving and departing passengers. Elevated corridors will be created for departing passengers. The platforms will be of equal length, all under gigantic steel-and-fiber glass roof made as high as a 12-storey building,'' added the official.
bala
BRFite

Post by bala »

Aluminium wagons for goods trains
Aluminium wagons will replace the existing steel coaches of all goods trains in the country during the next financial year. Announcing this in Bangalore on Monday, Union Railway minister Lalu Prasad Yadav said aluminium wagons would cut operation costs by 40% and also permit transportation of 40% more freight through trains. Of the Rs 45,000 crore allocated for the Railways during the last four years, 20% has been pooled back into the treasury. In all, 11,000 trains in the country traverse 33,000 kms each day. Rail tracks running to nearly 4,000 kms would also be laid. This will also include gauge conversion works. A 70-day bonus announced for railway employees.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

I agree its not the temperature issue alone. Both bala and hnair are correct in a sense. Because of the rivet? joins, the cracklings happen due to temperature changes.

The correction would be to have sheet rolls compressed and pressed into large bogie box shapes or sides using high powered large press. The machine press could then be welded and joined at the edges where the joins could be an interlapping = arrangement for expansion and contraction not to disfigure the box, like a curved corner approach.

basically build quality is poor.. looks done by road side tinker shop. btw, most riveted joins have the overlapping sides left free for expansions.

also, don't ignore the poor quality, guage of the metal itself that is being used. anyway, these get noticed only when a major train accident happens.. and at the speed of train in India, they don't care.

laloo is busy getting harvard money. who knows what is the inside job stories. i would never remove corruption or scandal from this at all. soon, laloo would announce aluminum boxes for people, since its cheaper and hard, and accident rates have come down 'cause of an harvard study, sope expect anything. people are ready to pay money and travel.

laloo would go:-

if boeing can be aluminum, hamara railways can be aluminum. he wins elections again.. possible next pm.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

abhishek wrote:
not stamped by machines

No one stamps a part when you have to make only a few hundred a year.
Abhishek, ICF, Perambur manufactures about 1300 coaches a year and Agartala another 1500 per year. This is by no means a small amount.
abhishek
BRFite -Trainee

Post by abhishek »

1300 is an extremely low number for stamping. Actually "extremely" is an understatement. Do you know how much sheet metal dies cost?
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

abhishek wrote:1300 is an extremely low number for stamping. Actually "extremely" is an understatement. Do you know how much sheet metal dies cost?
Abhishek, no... I don't know. But, I am sure lesser number of carriages are built in European countries and lesser number of planes are built as well.