Badges, Patches, Insignia, Medals & Uniforms

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

shishir wrote: 2. What is the silver coloured button shaped object/patch on the left pocket?
The Oval badge signifies that the person recieved a Chief of Army Staff Commendation Card - which is an award below Mentioned In Dispatches. The detail on the Pin can be seen in this url
http://jaganpvs.tripod.com/Militaria/Pins_Small.jpg (might require refreshing or cut/paste in your browser URL bar)
shishir wrote: 3. Also just above the 'Army Marksmanship Unit' tab, what does the U-shaped patch (I'm not sure what that is called) with the red background indicate? Major Rathore is with the Grenadiers; maybe the Grenadiers unit he is with??
Thats the Shoulder Title Badge - worn on both sides - it Says "Grenadiers"
Shishir
BRFite

Post by Shishir »

Jagan,
Thanks!!
Priyank
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Priyank »

Am I seeing things or does Major Rathore have a Vir Chakra ribbon on him?

If so, it probably explains his "shooting Pakistani terrorists was like a turkey shoot" comment. :D
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

Jagan.. Im not entirely sure, but I think Lt. Gen VArma wears his lanyard on the left because he is an honorary Aide de camp to the president. All ADC's wear the gizmos whos names i cannot remember on the left. There is a very good article on all of it in a back isue of sainik samachar. Ill try and find it.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

ASPuar wrote:Jagan.. Im not entirely sure, but I think Lt. Gen VArma wears his lanyard on the left because he is an honorary Aide de camp to the president. All ADC's wear the gizmos whos names i cannot remember on the left. There is a very good article on all of it in a back isue of sainik samachar. Ill try and find it.
Asp

You are correct - I quote someone who sent in an email long time back.
Aigulettes are to be worn on the left shoulder by all General officers. Its worn on the right shoulder only by those senior Gen officers who have been appointed as ADC to the President of India.
Jagan
Mandeep
BRFite

Post by Mandeep »

Aiguilettes are worn only by Lt Generals not all general officers. On the left shoulder that is. Full Generals and ADC Generals to the President wear their aiguilettes on the right.
Last edited by Mandeep on 26 Aug 2004 16:13, edited 1 time in total.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

Not just ADC Generals, but all ADC's to the president of India, and possibly also those to the governors of states. They are usually fof the rank of captain and major (or equivalent).

Aigulettes used to be worn by all General officers (not brigadiers though), Until some years back when they were restricted to Lt. Gen and above.
Mandeep
BRFite

Post by Mandeep »

I'm well aware that AsDC to the President and Governors wear their aiguilettes on the right too. The Army Chief's personal staff also wear aiguilettes.

In my post I was referring only to General Officers. :-)
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

I have no doubt you were well aware...

I was just clarifying the matter for those who not have been :)
Mandeep
BRFite

Post by Mandeep »

Thanks, AS.
Shishir
BRFite

Post by Shishir »

In this picture taken back in 95', the IA officer sports a shoulder patch featuring a Cobra. Initially I thought this was a patch of one of the armoured divisions but later found that this was not the case. Can someone identify the unit represented by the patch?

p.s: Also note the chart in the background indicating 'Op Cobra' and '29 RR'. Is this the badge of 29 RR? Maybe it has something to do with 'Op Cobra' that is referred to in the chart?? :-?

Thanks.
AmanC
BRFite -Trainee

Post by AmanC »

That seems to be the battalions own insignia and not a bonafide formation sign. Though there is no such tradition in the army to have such signs for individual battalions, RR or otherwise. In this case the snake has been superimposed on 29 and it is clear that 29 RR devised its own logo.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Aman is most probably right - plus the patch looks like it is worn over a Jacket - and not directly on the Uniform maybe because its much easier to wear things unofficially on the jacket rather than directly on your uniform where some senior officer might chew you up for wearing unauthorised badges.
Mandeep
BRFite

Post by Mandeep »

Correct, this is the (illegal) unit badge, worn (illegally again) on the right shoulder.

Many units/formations have illegal crests/mottoes used under threat of official displeasure.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

My turn to ask a question

Sikh Lt Infantry Soldiers in Ceremonial Gear

I find that metal ring around the pugree strange and completely new - can anyone tell me what its all about?

URL fixed
Last edited by Jagan on 08 Sep 2004 01:52, edited 1 time in total.
Mandeep
BRFite

Post by Mandeep »

That 'metal ring' is a Chakra or Quiot. Earlier used as a throwing weapon by Sikh soldiers it later became a turban ornament.

Used by Sikh Regt, SLI, 15 Punjab (1 Patiala) and earlier by 15th Punjab Regt (now in Pakistan) and Probyn's Horse.

BTW these SLI soldiers are wearing the more popular privately owned Pags rather than the standard Army pattern.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

The first original Operation Vijay Medals are being issued - just about five years after the Kargil War.

This one is posted by Sushil Talwar on the SAGongs yahoogroup.

Till now everyone was making do with copies of the medal.
Joeqp
BRFite

Post by Joeqp »

I know this may sound stupid, but can anyone tell me why they use "operation" in Hindi on the medal? Isn't there a Hindi word ("sangharsh", "abhiyan" or something) that fits better? :-? :-? :-?
Ed_Haynes
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Ed_Haynes »

And what in the world does the Jai Stambh at Chitor have to do with Kargil? One of the more unfortunate post-1947 medals.
Ed_Haynes
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Ed_Haynes »

For a more focused discussion of Indian (and other South Asian) medals and decorations, both before and after 1947, you may wish to drop in at the sibling groups of:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SAGongs/

and more a recent venue,

http://sagongs.ipbhost.com/

No effort here to compete with Bharat Rakshak -- not as if I could even if I so desired!
AmanC
BRFite -Trainee

Post by AmanC »

I know this may sound stupid, but can anyone tell me why they use "operation" in Hindi on the medal? Isn't there a Hindi word ("sangharsh", "abhiyan" or something) that fits better?
C'mon Manvendra :roll:
Shishir
BRFite

Post by Shishir »

Question for army gurus..
1. What is the 'belt like thing' that VC of army staff P.P.S. Bhandari is wearing across his chest here ( From left shoulder across the body)?

2. In this image, Major General Thomas Mathew is wearing a belt (Across waist) over his uniform while VC of army staff P.P.S. Bhandari does not in this picture ? Is this a tradition or just a matter of personal preference?

3. On a related note, I have noticed several army officers wearing a belt over sweaters (As seen here and here) ? To my lay mind, it seems easier to wear the sweater over the belt but since this practice is widespread, I presume it is because of other reasons.. Can any army "gurus" care to enlighten?

Thanks in advance..
Last edited by Shishir on 22 Nov 2004 00:53, edited 3 times in total.
adrian
BRFite -Trainee

Post by adrian »

Shishir,
Gen Bhandari is from the Armoured Corps, if I recall he was originally from Hodson's Horse and then became Col of the regt for a couple of other armoured regts. The "belt" you see across his chest is known as a Cross belt and is worn by all Armoured Corps and Rifles Regts (Garwhal/Rajputana) officers as part of their Service Dress and the cross belt is distinctive... no two regts have identical cross belts. If you look closely at Gen Bhandari's cross belt you can make out the crossed lances which signifies Armoured Corps and just below them are the battle honors for the regt which will depict the name and year of the battle honors. I couldnt access the other pictures, some server problem.

regds
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

the belt worn over the tunic is usually used for a harness for the sword....
Nainan
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Nainan »

ASPuar wrote:the belt worn over the tunic is usually used for a harness for the sword....
I s it not the thinner Sam Browne belt.........This one seems slightly different
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

The "belt" you see across his chest is known as a Cross belt
I don't think this belt is known as a crossbelt. A cross belt would be thinner, and generally worn from the right shoulder. The ends of the belt would also be buckled to the leather belt.

A similar type of belt, I have also seen being worn by the stick orderlies in an Infantry Regiment too.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

From BR Monitor:

The old pouch which was meant to carry extra ammunition to protect the flanks or to play the role of skirmishers. In 1841 the pouch was adopted in ceremonial form. It is presently worn by officers on ceremonial occasions as also by the Battalion Havildar Major, Band Master and the Stick Orderly.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

ASPuar wrote:Battalion Havildar Major, Band Master and the Stick Orderly.
Does'nt the BHM wear a red sash? And also heard that in some regiments they have a rank Regimental Orderly Havildar. Is it true?
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Mandeep
BRFite

Post by Mandeep »

What all of you are referring to is the pouch belt also known as the cross belt.

The other variety of cross belt is the Sam Browne belt, an elegant piece of equipment phased out of the Army during the time of General Arun Vaidya.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Sorry to do this again, but your username has been changed to Mandeep. Any questions or concerns just email me.
shek
BRFite

uniform??

Post by shek »

I've got some questions, why do personnel the Brigade Of The Guards wear brass buttons on their uniforms?...except fatigues of course!
Secondly, as far as i know, officers of the MLI do not wear cross belts, how come the new Chief wears one?
Priyank
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Priyank »

Can someone identify the patches on the Brigadier's right shirt pocket:

http://forum.apan-info.net/fall04/jpg_lg/abays9.jpg

The crossed rifles patch is the RR patch but what are the other two?
shek
BRFite

Post by shek »

Priyank, the crossed rifles on a green background is not the RR patch. it represents instructors at the CIJWS (Counter Insurgency and Jungle Warfare School) at Virangte, Mizoram.
The Dagger on a red background with the word 'Commando' written below worn on the right pocket means that the Brigadier was awarded the 'DAGGER' (Best Student) either during his coure at the Junior Leaders Wing, Commando course at Belgaum or at the CIJWS. Most prob at the CIJWS because he is not wearing crossed rifles with a red background (representing, officers with instructor grading in JLW Commandos).
The small badge worn on the lapel of right pocket means that he served with the Assam Rifles. It is not very clear though in the picture. Similarly, personnel who complete a tenure with the RR wear the RR crest too.

*I think this pic was taken when the yankees were granted entry to the CIJWS and they were the first US batch to undergo this really really tough and gruelling course.
Priyank
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Priyank »

Shek,

Thanks for correcting me. As you seem to have a detailed knowledge of these things, could you please verify my attempt at identifying the various infantry regiments in the following picture (Ray sahab, feel free to do the same):

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/LAND-FORC ... giment.jpg

Here is my attempt:

Top Row (Left to Right): 11 Gorkha Rifles, Maratha Light Infantry, Sikh Light Infantry, Mechanized Infantry, 5 Gorkha Rifles, 4 Gorkha Rifles, Assam Rifles (it is not an infantry regiment though), Parachute, Kumaon, 3 Gorkha Rifles, Rajputana Rifles, 1 Gorkha Rifles, 9 Gorkha Rifles.

Bottom Row (Left to Right): Garhwal Rifles, Jammu & Kashmir Rifles, Mahar, Bihar, Assam, Punjab, Dogra, Rajput, Jat, Rajputana Rifles, Sikh, Madras, Grenadiers, Brigade Of The Guards, Jammu & Kashmir Light Infantry, ?, 8 Gorkha Rifles.

It seems that the Naga regiment is missing in that picture. Also what is the red shoulder patch on the unknown soldier marked with the question mark above.
shek
BRFite

Post by shek »

Priyank wrote:Assam Rifles (it is not an infantry regiment though),

It seems that the Naga regiment is missing in that picture. Also what is the red shoulder patch on the unknown soldier marked with the question mark above.
Priyank, your id of regiments were spot on!! Though i chose to ignore the Gorkhas because they really confuse me!
Priyank, regarding the Assam Rifles, though ther are not an infantry 'regiment' as such, their setup is totally infantry. It is only their uniform that gives them their identity.
Ya, the Nagas are missing, frisky bunch they are!! I think the 'unknown jawan' with the red patch is from the Ladakh Scouts. The red patch is the formation sign he wears.
shek
BRFite

Re: uniform??

Post by shek »

shek wrote:I've got some questions, why do personnel the Brigade Of The Guards wear brass buttons on their uniforms?...except fatigues of course!
Secondly, as far as i know, officers of the MLI do not wear cross belts, how come the new Chief wears one?
Well, well, well...i get to quote myself! I really don't have confirmed info on the 'Guards' query but the MLI one i got it answered yesterday itself by one of my best friends who is from the MLI presently undergoing the JLW Commandos. As such the MLI do not wear cross belts, but now some changes are coming into the uniform of the MLI apart from the cross belt. The first change i remember would be the changing of the Lanyard, which was first put around the neck (like a noose, symbolising...i won't go further, would prob get into the bad books of MLI officers in BR!!) and now it is worn like other inf units around the (left?) arm. The second change would be the shoulder titles being changed from hindi to english.
NOW, the latest change is the new cross belt which has been introduced, like any typical cross belt with battle honours etc. Secondly and one of the most imp changes is that now the shoulder title which initially read as 'MARATHA LI' will now ONLY have 'MARATHA' written and the 'LI' part will become 'LIGHT INFANTRY' as shoulder flashes EXACTLY like 'THE GUARDS' or 'COMMANDO' with ref to The Brigade of The Guards and PARA Commando Units. 'Light Infantry' will be in gold and the backing will be black.
It seems with every new chief coming his regt gets the better of it! I really don't understand the need of signifying the 'light 'infantry part as now it is just normal infantry and the role of 'light infantry' doesn't exist today as such.
So next chief from the Kumaon/Nagas??...new cross belts for the nagas?? U BET!
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

This is the new Style Lt Gen Collar Tabs (3 Stars)

The Major General Tabs - 2 Stars.

Brigadier Col Tabs.

Old Style 'Universal' Collar Tabs

Old Style 'Universal' Collar Tabs for Winter Service Dress?
Bah.. im not much for these new star studded gorgets. I think the old prussian oak leaf looked much better. The stars look a little bit cheesy. Furthermore, I think that the story provided (some major general not getting his due at some conference), is not the fault of our uniforms, but rather some sort of administrative goof up.
The British Army doesnt use stars on their uniform, either.. how often do their ranks get confused?

The shoe fit.. so I dont see why had to change it. I also dont understand thi new policy for staff oficers to wear camo, allegedly to show solidarity with their brethren at the front... it just seems like a lot of symbolic showmanship.
shek
BRFite

Post by shek »

ASPuar wrote:
This is the new Style Lt Gen Collar Tabs (3 Stars)

The Major General Tabs - 2 Stars.

Brigadier Col Tabs.

Old Style 'Universal' Collar Tabs

Old Style 'Universal' Collar Tabs for Winter Service Dress?
Bah.. im not much for these new star studded gorgets. I think the old prussian oak leaf looked much better. The stars look a little bit cheesy. Furthermore, I think that the story provided (some major general not getting his due at some conference), is not the fault of our uniforms, but rather some sort of administrative goof up.
The British Army doesnt use stars on their uniform, either.. how often do their ranks get confused?

The shoe fit.. so I dont see why had to change it. I also dont understand thi new policy for staff oficers to wear camo, allegedly to show solidarity with their brethren at the front... it just seems like a lot of symbolic showmanship.
I totally second ASPuar!!! 8) It's just a waste of time, money and energy!