How to join the Armed Forces? - Recruitment Thread

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
prouge
BRFite -Trainee

How to join the Armed Forces? - Recruitment Thread

Post by prouge »

BUT.......... i have no where to get "reliable option".
I have searched the internet high and low but cant get the answer as this question is too specific for a general purpose ARMY FAQ.
I am (hopefully) going to complete my B.E (CSE) (Bachelor in engineering) and want to join the army through SSC. I understand that people who do the same, get inducted into the technical branch.
I wanted to know if i can get into the "fighting part" of the army(after being signed up as an technical officer) AND more specifically can i sign up to be a commando. As i have no relatives in the army, the information i am seeking is very hard to come by. I hope none of the good people here take this as an intrusion and flame me for posting an irrelevant topic.

BTW if any ones wondering why new members are not signing up for BR, the confirmatory email has a small "bug". The link used to confirm ones email ID includes "<br><br> please " [ %3Cbr%3E%3Cbr%3EPlease ] as part of the confirmatory link. This needs to be removed as soon as possible.
JCage
BRFite

Post by JCage »

Can the admins make this a sticky, with a title "questions about joining the services"?

This would be BRFs own contribution to the services.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

The qualification for OTA chennai exam (CDS) is only a bachelors degree.

Thus, there is no reason you cant apply to take the exam, once you have your degree or are in the final year! Your degree is also a bachelors degree.

To join in the tech branch, you have to go through a seperate recruitment procedure. You have to apply to a different branch and take different tests.

If you clear the CDS exam, you will automatically be considered for fighting arms. You can also apply for IMA through the CDS exam.

Because of your engineering degree, you are eligible as well for permanent commission in Flying (pilot) branch of the IAF, and Permanent
commission in the Executive branch of the Indian Navy.

Hope this has helped!
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

Check the Army website. The image is missing. So slide down for details.
http://indianarmy.nic.in/rtg/rtg_offrs.htm

Then if you have further questions call them.
Tel : +91-11-26196220
prouge
BRFite -Trainee

Just clarifying...

Post by prouge »

@@ASPuar:-
If i have my B.E degree, can i take the the CDS exam or will i be "told" to join the technical branch. I would also be grateful, if i am allowed to serve as an commando.
uddu
BRF Oldie

Re: Just clarifying...

Post by uddu »

prouge wrote:@@ASPuar:-
If i have my B.E degree, can i take the the CDS exam or will i be "told" to join the technical branch. I would also be grateful, if i am allowed to serve as an commando.
You require a degree, be it B.E or B.Com or B.A seems not an issue in the army. If you have a degree, you can attend the CDS.
Ranvijay
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Ranvijay »

Good thread. I wanted to open one like this too. I'm doing my BCA right now, and I was wondering what I would have to do to get into MI, RAW or any kind of intelligence/planning/strategic thinktank/ agency.

I'd love to get into the "fighting" core but I'm afraid my eyesight would not let me through.

I read that the Army is more c3i oriented nowadays and I do have a bit of knowledge about networks. :wink:

Thanks.
John Snow
BRFite

Post by John Snow »

There used to be a process calle University Entrance Scheme for officers in Engineering branch (atleast Navy used I went through SSB Bhopal and got selected) where in they would give you the rank of acting Sub Lt. in 4th year after selection in a 5 yr engineering degree with a stipend of Rs 750 (in 1977 that was big deal when scooter was Rs 2800).

I dont know if that still exits. IAF also used to recruit from 4th year through Capmus.

The process is like this, IN, IAF used to work like this IAG IN would come to Engg college and hold First round of selections, interviews, GK, Motivation, Debates Group participation, then short list the candidates.

Then send the candidates to SSB centers

Then the regular SSB process would kick in it used to take 5 days of hectic, physical and mental evaluations. Lots of fun.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

Noone is going to "tell" you to become an engineering officer.

You can ask for a regimental preference. You cant demand to be a commando, there are courses which turn you into one, which you have to earn a place on, once youve joined the army.

If you join the navy in the exec branch, you can also volunteer to try for the marine commandos.
CalvinH
BRFite

Post by CalvinH »

John Snow wrote:There used to be a process calle University Entrance Scheme for officers in Engineering branch (atleast Navy used I went through SSB Bhopal and got selected) where in they would give you the rank of acting Sub Lt. in 4th year after selection in a 5 yr engineering degree with a stipend of Rs 750 (in 1977 that was big deal when scooter was Rs 2800).

I dont know if that still exits. IAF also used to recruit from 4th year through Capmus.

The process is like this, IN, IAF used to work like this IAG IN would come to Engg college and hold First round of selections, interviews, GK, Motivation, Debates Group participation, then short list the candidates.

Then send the candidates to SSB centers

Then the regular SSB process would kick in it used to take 5 days of hectic, physical and mental evaluations. Lots of fun.

Interesting....I got through with the same but lot later then 1977..
At that time I think UES was new scheme (may be it got discontinued)....IA folks lead by a Brig came to campus and conducted an Interview after which we were called for SSB.

And you forgot the 5 days of medical :)

This time they visited in 3rd year of BE/BTech...stipend was better then at 8000 PM, paid when you join (after qualifying in the shortlist) and clear the 1 year course at IMA.

Progue - If you want to join the fighting arm appear for CDS. During my days the options were:

TGC and UES for Engineering Graduates.
CDS for other normal Graduates

No one force you to a tech branch when you go through CDS however be ready to be grilled in PI in SSB for your reasoning.
CalvinH
BRFite

Post by CalvinH »

Ranvijay wrote: I'd love to get into the "fighting" core but I'm afraid my eyesight would not let me through.
Thanks.
Heard they are pretty much relaxed on this one now a days. At least for Engineers...
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

UES is a pretty good scheme being run by the services for it brings those individuals under the recruitment umbrella who are too lazy or un informed about the career options in the services after Engg.I did not appear for it in college (was kind of dissapointed for not being selected by the SSB after 10+2) but know the panel constituted of officers from Signal and EME corps .

And they did ask pretty tricky questions in areas of microwave and electromagnetic fields to the E&C guys.
Baljeet
BRFite

Post by Baljeet »

Glad to see the spirit of some fine young man. Ranvijay I can only provide you a hint about RAW. If you see job opening in newspaper that has vague description like "work for cabinet secretariat" will give you some idea about working for RAW. They do have a technical branch that has very special purpose. if you want to work for RAW or MI or something similar, remember this job is not about being James Bond, or Jason Bourne. Intel jobs need a very special kind of person who is very humble, down to earth, with steely nerves and ice in veins, with very acute incisive analytical mind. Must have aptitude to listen to everyone even if it is a coolie or jhalliwalah. Basic Mantra for this job...Khiladi ki maut anaadi key hath mein. Always pretend you the anaadi and everyone else is a khiladi. This will keep you alive.
There is no place for EGO, no points for bragging either.
prouge
BRFite -Trainee

Every one, i thank you so much for the info given,

Post by prouge »

But think of me as a drooling retard. So correct me if i am wrong;
/**************************************************************/
CDS -- Non technical (fighting arm) -- B.E graduate eligible for applying.
TES -- Technical -- B.E graduate eligible for applying (BUT can choose a non technical regiment for posting, at the time of recruitment).
UES -- Technical -- B.E graduate eligible for applying (BUT can choose a non technical regiment for posting, at the time of recruitment).
:oops: :oops:
Please tell me if pleading is required to choose a regiment(at the time of recruitment or otherwise), or is there a formal procedure in choosing a regiment(at the time of recruitment or otherwise).
If some one answers this question i PROMISE this will be my last question about recruitment in the army. :lol: :lol:
/**************************************************************/
Last edited by prouge on 30 Jan 2008 16:07, edited 1 time in total.
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

Baljeet wrote:Glad to see the spirit of some fine young man. Ranvijay I can only provide you a hint about RAW. If you see job opening in newspaper that has vague description like "work for cabinet secretariat" will give you some idea about working for RAW. They do have a technical branch that has very special purpose. if you want to work for RAW or MI or something similar, remember this job is not about being James Bond, or Jason Bourne. Intel jobs need a very special kind of person who is very humble, down to earth, with steely nerves and ice in veins, with very acute incisive analytical mind. Must have aptitude to listen to everyone even if it is a coolie or jhalliwalah. Basic Mantra for this job...Khiladi ki maut anaadi key hath mein. Always pretend you the anaadi and everyone else is a khiladi. This will keep you alive.
There is no place for EGO, no points for bragging either.
Baljeet, Is there any other way of getting hired into RAW etc. Cuz one hardly comes across such ads in the newspaper and one is
more likely to miss them out considering them to be for some clerical govt job (Not that I have anything against clerical govt jobs).
JaiS
Forum Moderator

Post by JaiS »

prouge, Good luck !
Ranvijay
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Ranvijay »

remember this job is not about being James Bond, or Jason Bourne.
I know its more of a desk job. But at least it'll be a desk job where I'm doing something that matters.

I know this sounds like "aaj may army join karoonga, kal airforce aur ant mey software code karoonga" but I am serious about this. I need to get into this. Army, air force anything.. they need men.

Sometimes, I get frustrated sitting in front of my goddamn laptop writing away shitty code. Just need to get in. Lets see, will try for OTA after my course is over and will look out for the central secretriat adverts .THanks.
Baljeet
BRFite

Post by Baljeet »

Ranvijay wrote: I know its more of a desk job. But at least it'll be a desk job where I'm doing something that matters.
Ranvijay
This deskjob is not about writing code, it involves mega analysis of information from different sources. Also depends on your security clearance. If you are so much interested in RAW or MI start with getting job with IB. Then you can move from one division to another. It takes 5-7 years just to get groomed into the nuances of Intel work and sometime you will still feel like an amateur. Intel jobs take heavy toll on your social circles. You can't talk to your friends about anything, can't even tell your wife, parents what you do for living. You have to makeup a story and must stick with it throughout your life. This is a very hard part, in moments of frustration, anger certain things do slip out. if you have this kind of temprament then go for it. Remember you will have to remind yourself every day, "why did I take this job, or chose this career".
Pay is low, recognition is never there, you can't claim credit for anything, nobody knows your accomplishments. Job satisfaction is a foreign concept in this line of work.
Baljeet
BRFite

Post by Baljeet »

VikasRaina wrote:
Baljeet, Is there any other way of getting hired into RAW etc. Cuz one hardly comes across such ads in the newspaper and one is
more likely to miss them out considering them to be for some clerical govt job (Not that I have anything against clerical govt jobs).
Look out for linguistic translator or analysts position. If you really want to get hired very quickly, become proficient like native speaker in mandarin chinese or Arabic. Think Dubai. it is the hub of ME spook game. Always remember your strength, there is no other way to say it, your skin color is a great asset to work in dubai. You will be able to blend in easily, whereas if you went to western Gora nation, you will stick out like a sore thumb easily picked. Learn Farsi like native speaker. This will be an added asset.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

Hey,

As I said, if you have a degree in engineering, you have a shot at joining Air force, Navy, in the flying or executive cadres.

Again, you cant just join RAW or IB. All the executive level appointments to these agencies are deputations. To join, you have to be a civil servant, or a military officer, and then you have to apply against an internally advertised vacancy.

You WILL NOT see ads for executive level jobs in these agencies. You will only see advertisements for section officer level jobs, which are NOT gazetted posts. I really dont think you will derive much career satisfaction from these!

Much better to join the defence services, and enter IB or RAW as an officer instead!
rkhanna
BRFite

Post by rkhanna »

What is the age limit for enrolling in the SSC. A friend of mine currently in the NDA told me recently that they have upped the age of the SSC to 25 years (from 24 previously) . And they may have increased the 5 year stint to more... Anybody advise. I visited the Colaba (umbai) Recruitment office for help but they were shut that day and have not found the time to go again.
prouge
BRFite -Trainee

Thanks

Post by prouge »

Every one thanks for the information. I know some might accuse me of being too formal, but this has really cleared up a lot of doubts.
:D
prouge
BRFite -Trainee

can someone please answer these questions for me...

Post by prouge »

/***********************************************************/
(1) Every officer in the Indian army is given commando trainning in belgaum(TRUE/FALSE).
(2)Commando training is also given to every special force operative (TRUE/FALSE).
(3)Para commandos are the special forces of indian army, and they receive additional training other than the commando course at belgaum(TRUE/FALSE).
(4) Can a candidate joining the army by SSC (CDSE) sign up for the special forces regiment, if YES when is this done (immediately after basic training/after the first year of service......).
(5)Can a candidate joining the army by SSC (Tech) sign up for the special forces regiment, if YES when is this done (immediately after basic training/after the first year of service ......).
(6)How long is one required to serve in the SF, can a SSC(CDSE/TECH) candidate serve SF without requiring extension of his (5 year)contract if extension is required, by how many years.
(7)Can a serving SSC(CDSE/TECH) officer sign up for SF after may be 2 years of service ( 2 is just an arbitrary number.......) in the army.
P.S :- Do people have to fill up forms to join the special forces regiment or do the trainers select the prospects and offer them positions (are there are no other ways to get in, except for trainers referral), .......
/**********************************************************/
Venkarl
BRFite

Post by Venkarl »

If you wish to join Intel Agencies, drop an email to ex-chiefs, their email addresses are available on internet, if your email impresses him, you will get a reply asking you to call up a number. Depending on that conversation, your screening process will be initiated.
ParGha
BRFite

Re: can someone please answer these questions for me...

Post by ParGha »

prouge wrote: (1) Every officer in the Indian army is given commando trainning in belgaum(TRUE/FALSE)
False. Infantry officers go to Belgaum for their junior leaders course, Armoured and Artillery arms have their own young leaders courses (ex. Ahmednagar).
(3)Para commandos are the special forces of indian army, and they receive additional training other than the commando course at belgaum(TRUE/FALSE).
True, sort of. The old "commando" designation was dropped along with the previous intense focus on area/terrain; now all previous "commando" battalions are "Special Forces", so theoretically all can expect to be called for cross-training and cross-deployment.

=====

On a general note, the biggest bottle-neck in getting the regiment of choice is the number of openings available. It is simple supply-and-demand economics: Some regiments (especially some Armour ones) have high demand, so they can put you through a whole number of hoops before taking you in; others are more welcoming. The good news for someone interested in the Paras, of course, is that they get multiple shots at it in their careers (unless they do something really stupid), due to the nature of the work. If you want a spot with the Guards, you better be the model candidate from Day 1.
prouge
BRFite -Trainee

Re: How to join the Armed Forces? - Recruitment Thread

Post by prouge »

Sorry.... but another question
Is Special Frontier Force-Special Group (SFF-SG) more aspirational than PARA(SF)(is it like the delta forces of India;more *specialized* than PARA(SF)), i couldn't find any information about it in SFF page on BR. Can any one please elaborate on initial commitment, etc(if possible) and give any info on *joining* SFF-SG, when you are eligible for selection, etc.

Thanks in Advance for the reply. :lol:
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

Appearing for Territorial Army test and Preliminary Interview Board, end of the month. Any tips, etc? Anyone?
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

SFF is not a part of the army. Instead, it "belongs" to the Cabinet Secretariats Research and Analysis Wing.
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

BTW..any aspirants...check out the openings announced by HAL in today's Times Ascent.
prouge
BRFite -Trainee

Post by prouge »

ASPuar wrote:SFF is not a part of the army. Instead, it "belongs" to the Cabinet Secretariats Research and Analysis Wing.
I'm Sorry i didn't get the answer. I will rephrase the query, given a chance to join PARA(SF) and the SFF-SG which would be at the first choice for a model soldier serving India.
(a) PARA(SF).
(b) SFF-SG.
A special thanks to ASPuar for the reply.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

? The SFF is not a part of the army.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Guys

he is asking which would be more prestigous or better career move.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

I don't think you can just decide to join SFF. or even the SF for that matter. kind of invitation only once you are in AFAIK.
btw, people with good technical skills can join NTRO. I know that they campus recruit from IITs.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Rahul

You can join the SF

SFF I do not know

but I am sure some deputation is involved
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

surya, AFAIK you have to be a part of the army before you can opt (and qualify) for the SF.
I thought you can't just turn up and say, 'I will join 1 para'.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Rahul
You can join the SF
join the SF or join the IA first and then try for SF vacancies?? :-?
btw, people with good technical skills can join NTRO. I know that they campus recruit from IITs.
How many guys join up on a average for a round of campus selections?Do they recruit as NTRO or some obscure name?
Recently, a ISRO friend of mine was lamenting that not a single IITian had joined ISRO in last 8-10 years from campus....So, not sure how the NTRO(which im certain 99.5% of Indians wouldnt have even heard about) will fare when a much popular ISRO cannot grab these IITians. Maybe this global downturn may turnout to be a boon for the DRDO and other "agencies" requiring technical assets.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

NTRO has a lot of Army types and Air Force types. In fact, the first Secretary, NTRO was a former army officer, unless Im mistaken (RS Bedi). Corps of Signals, EME, etc can provide lots of engineers with PG from IIT, IISC etc.
skher
BRFite

Post by skher »

Sirs,

what are the prospects of a freshly graduated journalism and mass comm student from a pvt. institution?

What all would they be trained for and should be ready for?

Also,no information is given about entry and selection procedure into DIP and DESIDOC.

I was also informed that the Apprenticeship Act,1961 applies.
I was unable to understand the nuances and its relationship with selection......legal language is a bit latin to me.

I'm delighted that this thread has been introduced.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

rahul, sum

of course thats assumed - that you are inthe army before you apply for vacancies in SF

The SFF - not sure how much is advertised and how much is someone making selections.
ASPuar
BRFite

Post by ASPuar »

Major General Sheonan Singh, of Jaffna Drop fame, is one of the more prominent and visible Para Cdo's, because, of course he is now a general officer, and is no longer in hush hush jobs. He was originally commissioned in the Engineers (being a civil engineering graduate of Roorkee Engineering College), and volunteered for selection to the Para Commandos. So you see, it would appear to be a process of internal selection.

The SFF accepts people from the Army I think, but such vacancies are purely internal. The first head of the SFF was Lt. Col. SS Uban, who retired as IGP, SSF. (This was back when IGP was the highest police rank)!