Indian Nuke News & Discussion Thread-June 18 2008

sugriva
BRFite
Location: Exposing the uber communist luddites masquerading as capitalists

Re: Indian Nuke News & Discussion Thread-June 18 2008

Post by sugriva »

More importantly, with the nuclear thing out of the way, the obstacles to India's engagement with the rest of the world and open the taps to technology and closer enagement with the rest of the world is open. That is alone is a good enough reason to do the deal in haste!
On this thread I have only seen statements like "open the taps to technology" or "technology
transfer", but till date no one has enumerated what all technology will be transferred to us.
Has US gummint signed into law any act removing the sanctions that it had imposed on us
since 74 and 98.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

sugriva wrote:On this thread I have only seen statements like "open the taps to technology" or "technology
transfer", but till date no one has enumerated what all technology will be transferred to us.
Has US gummint signed into law any act removing the sanctions that it had imposed on us
since 74 and 98.
Point is, the deal is not done yet. Lets face it. Most of the 98 and 74 sanctions have been rolled back and the political relations between India and US have dramatically improved. But still certain areas which are vitally important, especially dual use is denied to India.. a wide range from computers, software, machine tools, materials, semiconductors, weapons technology, nuclear power equipment, aerospace.. an entire range where we couldnt do business with the rest of the world.. China could launch US satellites, while we couldn't! .It is the lingering areas which are nuclear related that will have to go.. Think of it.. When the big enchilada, the nuke trade itself happens, the rest of the "distractions" will automatically gave away.
Suppiah
BRF Oldie

Post by Suppiah »

Some concerns do remain, even if deal is done.

1. If OZ refuses to give nuke fuel, who is going to give? In the long run, is that a viable position?
2. Had this $150 oil thing not happened, many nuke suppliers would be happy to queue up in Delhi because there was no place else to go. But now with UK talking of nuclear power, Philippines too, John McCain calling for 100 reactors etc., I wonder if we will end up an also ran in terms of attracting investment and mindshare, given the red tape that will tie down any proposal for years and decades.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

vina wrote:
sugriva wrote:On this thread I have only seen statements like "open the taps to technology" or "technology
since 74 and 98.
Point is, the deal is not done yet. Lets face it. Most of the 98 and 74 sanctions have been rolled back and the political relations between India and US have dramatically improved. But still certain areas which are vitally important, especially dual use is denied to India.. a wide range from computers, software, machine tools, materials, semiconductors, weapons technology, nuclear power equipment, aerospace.. an entire range where we couldnt do business with the rest of the world.. China could launch US satellites, while we couldn't! .It is the lingering areas which are nuclear related that will have to go.. Think of it.. When the big enchilada, the nuke trade itself happens, the rest of the "distractions" will automatically gave away.
It is just one small thing about testing which needs to be resolved. Once that internal law is de-linked then this deal will not have any obstacles.
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

vina wrote:
ldev wrote:The design goal for the AHWR is 300MWe.
Nah.. Not possible. Even top notch coal fired plants with fluidized bed combustion and other stuff would find it difficult to reach 40% thermodynamic efficiency.. 300 MWe out of 750 MW Thermal (40% efficiency) is extremely aggressive and I don't see anything in the design (I mean the heat transfer and engineering part, not the nuclear part (where I am clueless)) that will take it there.
The latest iteration of the AHWR design is 920MWt/300MWe i.e. 32.6% thermodynamic efficiency. The earlier design was 750MWt/235MWe.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

1. If OZ refuses to give nuke fuel, who is going to give?
Surely you mean sell not give

The world's top uranium producers are Canada (28% of world production) and Australia (23%). Other major producers include Kazakhstan, Russia, Namibia and Niger

CIRUS reactor shutdown is meant to placate Canadian H+D, reopen CANDU tech stream, Uranium ore supplies etc.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

ldev wrote:
vina wrote: Nah.. Not possible. Even top notch coal fired plants with fluidized bed combustion and other stuff would find it difficult to reach 40% thermodynamic efficiency.. 300 MWe out of 750 MW Thermal (40% efficiency) is extremely aggressive and I don't see anything in the design (I mean the heat transfer and engineering part, not the nuclear part (where I am clueless)) that will take it there.
The latest iteration of the AHWR design is 920MWt/300MWe i.e. 32.6% thermodynamic efficiency. The earlier design was 750MWt/235MWe.
Thanks. That 920MWt/300MWe and the 32.6% thermodynamic efficiency sounds exactly right. The DAE publication just said 750MWt and with that I couldn't buy the 300MWe number. The AHWR looks good. Wishing the best luck to the DAE /NPCIL in taking it from concept to a reality.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

L&T to get into manufacture of nuclear reactors
L&T Limited, India's largest engineering and construction conglomerate with interests in electricals, electronics and IT, is looking to get into manufacture of nuclear reactors for export. At present, it manufactures them for domestic use only. It is optimistic of export market opening up once India signs the nuclear deal, according to its chairman and managing director Anil M NaiK.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Very interesting
Nuke deal: What does Indian Muslims say – deal or no deal?

http://www.twocircles.net/2008jul03/nuk ... _deal.html
John Snow
BRFite

Post by John Snow »

Aussies are blessed with U and also with Thoorium (largest) in addition to Coal.

How come they never thought of breeders no Poo?
Or they are anti nuklear?

Canada is also blessed with U and Thoorium (one of the largest) in addition to oil.
They do have FBR tech and program.

Added later
Gerad you did not mention Mongolia ( also has U)

http://www.world-nuclear.org/sym/1998/mays.htm
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

sanjaykumar wrote:Very interesting

I am really getting upset with these trends:::
- Sachaar committee: muslims are backward and it is majority populations fault
- J&K: Majority Hindu's cannot get 100 acres of land for Amaranath yatra, even temporarily
- J&K: Govt. imposes curfew to put down hindu protest against Amaranath yatra decision. A muslim suprem court judge denies to take action
- Nuke-deal: now we want to make sure muslims are for the deal..

does the majority opinion ever matter in this country? is there any hope for this nation? what kind of democracy is this?
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

President Kalam is one of the finest President India has ever had.

He is a scientist.

I think the superlatives added is merely perceptions of individuals and I don't think President Kalam could care less about such opinions. He is a person above such perry titles as top or greatest and their like.

However, I reckon each citizen is entitled to his own opinion.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

RamaY wrote:
sanjaykumar wrote:Very interesting

I am really getting upset with these trends:::
- Sachaar committee: muslims are backward and it is majority populations fault
- J&K: Majority Hindu's cannot get 100 acres of land for Amaranath yatra, even temporarily
- J&K: Govt. imposes curfew to put down hindu protest against Amaranath yatra decision. A muslim suprem court judge denies to take action
- Nuke-deal: now we want to make sure muslims are for the deal..

does the majority opinion ever matter in this country? is there any hope for this nation? what kind of democracy is this?
Indian media and opinion makers have been bought over by foreign interest since last 15 years. All of these demands originated abroad.
This is what we are discussing in the Psy ops media thread for so many years. People take a long time to understand what is going on.
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

abhijitm and AmberG : What gives?
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

SP's U-turn: 24 hours that saved the nuke deal
SP’s dramatic move to desert the Left-UNPA corner and team up with the Congress is yet another telling example of there being no permanent foes in politics. And if politics is also about timing, few can hold a candle to SP leaders Mulayam Singh Yadav and Amar Singh. In just about 24 hours, from Thursday forenoon to Friday noon, they had jumped ship leaving a fractured UNPA and a shocked Left in their wake :D
I am glad that Karat and Co. have been made to realize that they are not indispensable.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Some people were asking about acharya's taxonomy of the Indian elite.

Here is a draft version in slideshare

http://www.slideshare.net/vepa/indian-elite-research
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

Presumably the Indo-US Nuclear deal is “Anti-Muslim” because the US has inserted a secret clause that says Muslims shall not be provided electricity generated by the reactors and/or uranium supplied under the deal l :wink: :
70% Muslims oppose N-deal: Poll

Rajnish Sharma, Kamal Khan
Saturday, July 5, 2008 (Lucknow)

The nuclear deal has over the past few months become a much discussed and debated issue, which has till now been largely viewed through the lens of political developments.

Now, the first ever survey carried out to gauge the Muslim sentiment against the nuclear deal has found the deal to be ''anti-Muslim.''

Ironically, this survey has been conducted by a newspaper owned by a Samajwadi Party MP.

The party as we know has backed the Congress over the nuclear deal and has also been trying to whip up further support in favour of it.

This headline in the Urdu weekly claims that 70 per cent of the Muslims across India are opposed to the deal, exactly what Chief Minister Mayawati has been saying lately.

Her aim is to embarrass her rival Mulayam Singh for supporting the nuclear deal.

But what is embarrassing for Mulayam now is that this newspaper belongs to his own party general secretary Shahid Siddiqui.

The survey also said that the 85 per cent Muslims called America their biggest enemy. About 70 per cent feel that the Manmohan Singh government has done nothing from the Muslims.

''This is not the party line, this was an independent survey,'' said Shahid Siddiqui, general secretary of the Samajwadi Party.

Some believe that it was to blunt the view that the nuclear deal was anti-Muslim that the SP went to former President APJ Kalam.

''When Adbul Kalam a renowned scientist has said that this deal is in the interest of this country then these surveys hardly matter,'' said Shivpal Yadav, Mulayam Singh's brother.

Clerics, who are now firmly backing Mayawati say that Mulayam should come to terms with this bitter truth.

''Be it any issue, if it is not in the nation's interest and the Muslims are against it, despite this if you move ahead on it then its obvious that they will be upset,'' said Maulana Khalid Rasheed, Sunni Cleric.

The survey itself may or may not be widely accepted, but coming from the Samajwadi Party's camp, Mulayam Singh could have a tough time explaining it and his new-found love for the nuclear deal.

NDTV
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

arun wrote:Presumably the Indo-US Nuclear deal is “Anti-Muslim” because the US has inserted a secret clause that says Muslims shall not be provided electricity generated by the reactors and/or uranium supplied under the deal l :wink: :
70% Muslims oppose N-deal: Poll
Was the deal supposed to come to this level of discussion. They have made a joke of this deal!
Duangkomon
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Duangkomon »

Ramana and Acharya...How about NRI or PIO elites outside India who look upon India as only a Hindu nation as a part of their Hindu identity and nothing more? They should also be considered as part of the elite landscape trying to shape the destiny of India.
Last edited by Duangkomon on 06 Jul 2008 12:30, edited 1 time in total.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

arun wrote:Presumably the Indo-US Nuclear deal is “Anti-Muslim” because the US has inserted a secret clause that says Muslims shall not be provided electricity generated by the reactors and/or uranium supplied under the deal l :wink: :
Naah - there was a secret poll just like BRF poll in which more than 100 million Muslims voted against the deal.

Last Friday.

That figure (70%) was being revealed by the well informed grievance filled anti-deal CPI cadres and their friends being quoted in the media.
csharma
BRFite

Post by csharma »

Actually a poll was conducted by a paper owned by SP leader Shahid Siddiqui.

http://www.ibnlive.com/news/for-sp-no-n ... 8-3-2.html

For SP, no N-cashing in Muslim votebank

Lucknow: While Samajwadi Party has hinted it will bail out the Congress on the nuclear deal issue, SP’s crucial Muslim vote bank in UP may be threatened.

The party’s political turnaround has left Muslim organisations jittery, making them wonder if Mulayam Singh is going against his loyal support base.

“Mulayam has ditched Muslims,” alleges rebel SP MP Munnwar Hassan.

The fear is not being underlined by rebels alone. Even political opponents are insisting that Mulayam may have blundered by siding with the Congress on the nuclear deal.

Mayawati is eager to grab the opportunity to extend her caste-religious equation. She has met top Muslim leaders and her message is clear.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

csharma wrote:Actually a poll was conducted by a paper owned by SP leader Shahid Siddiqui.

Oh I'm sure I'm sure

I know about polls - I can whip up just such a poll to ping two and a half muslims to come up with a 70% figure in a day or two.

Poll:
a) I am against a nuclear deal with Kafir America who is against Allah and is killing all my Muslim brethren
b) I am for power from America's atom bombs to be sent directly into my house.
c) I choose option a and not b
Sanatanan
BRFite

Post by Sanatanan »

RayC wrote:President Kalam is one of the finest President India has ever had.

He is a scientist.
A true scientist would not subscribe to a premise that current theoretical models and parameters of extrapolation to be immutable for all time to come and that full-scale (or at least sufficiently near full-scale) confirmatory experimental verification, henceforth, is never required. If Dr Kalam, as reported in the media, has indeed claimed that further testing of strategic nuclear devices by India is not required -- he has not cared to refute these reports so far -- it is not possible to accept him as a true scientist. It is seen that his opinion is also based on a semantic view of the 123 sans Hyde, disregarding US's past behaviour in dada-giri.

It is indeed regrettable that on the strength of these statements attributed to Dr Kalam, our politicians are getting ready to pawn off India's hard-won technological gains.
enqyoobOLD
BRFite

Post by enqyoobOLD »

Now, the first ever survey carried out to gauge the Muslim sentiment against the nuclear deal has found the deal to be ''anti-Muslim.''

Clearly no one here, all being anti-Muslim yindoo fundoo extremists, has considered the parallels between the Destruction of the Bhabha Cirrus Reactor and the Destruction of the B**** ******.

The other issue is that with this deal, there may be no power cut on Friday afternoons. What will functioning air-conditioning, TV, movie theares and malls do to attendance in places of worship?
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

A true scientist would not subscribe to a premise that current theoretical models and parameters of extrapolation to be immutable for all time to come and that full-scale (or at least sufficiently near full-scale) confirmatory experimental verification, henceforth, is never required. If Dr Kalam, as reported in the media, has indeed claimed that further testing of strategic nuclear devices by India is not required -- he has not cared to refute these reports so far -- it is not possible to accept him as a true scientist.
do you expect him to blow away the deal at a delicate time by grandly announcing "we will test come what may" and in the process become a darling of the NPAs who woould have that much more sticks to beat India with ? how would that serve our interest ?
It is seen that his opinion is also based on a semantic view of the 123 sans Hyde, disregarding US's past behaviour in dada-giri.
isn't this unscientific deduction ? are we reading minds now ?
It is indeed regrettable that on the strength of these statements attributed to Dr Kalam, our politicians are getting ready to pawn off India's hard-won technological gains.
OK, please back up this allegation with facts and detail.
I'll be waiting.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Amber G please list anything that Prof Kalam has done in nuclear science field! I will be highly obliged to be educated on nuclear research done by the best nuclear scientist that you know of. Anything in public domain will do, even his education, training or professional experience.

Arunji – Sure. The man has been Chief Scientific Adviser to Defence Minister and Secretary, Department of Defence Research & Development from many years, prior to and during POK II etc, it will be virtually impossible that the man did not learn more nuclear science then many of the PhD’s or wiki trained Fusion experts we know.

If some narrow meaning of the word “nuclear scientist” (eg PhD degree, or formal papers in public domain) is what you are insisting on, that’s non sequitur, like insisting on DNA sequencing for the title “father” of atomic bomb for Oppenheimer.

Any way, point is, notice the word ‘known’ (as in ‘known as nuclear scientist), and then you will not even need my help, just do a nexis/lexis search (or even google) and you would find that APJ is indeed referred as ‘nuclear scientist’ by sources as diverse as Newsweek to Dawn. For that matter, if you looked at the whole sentence quoted by Ramana, you would see that that phrase indeed, if I am not mistaken, was used by a media, sourced by other media, and ddm or no ddm word ‘known’ is apt.

Okay, Let us agree to disagree about what is the criteria to be called “nuclear scientist”. But then , for perspective, I am sure you know, there were many who vigorously argued against Hardy and questioned “Is Ramanujan even a mathematician” when Hardy wanted to Invite Ramanujan to Cambridge, and again when he nominated him for FRS.

But what concerns me, (gentle readers please read the whole material so that I am not accused of taking something out of context and then try to understand) is the following peculiar sentence:
Prof APJ Kalam is known to not correct or reprimanded reporter or hosts when they introduce and glorify him as country's top nuclear scientist.
Where in my post did I say anything to make Prof Kalam any less of a person? Please do not attribute to me something I have not said.
It is reasonable that some one, might wonder …why all these emphasis and emoticons in the original piece?

As I said, given, IMO , that ‘baharat-ratna’ or president is more ‘glorifying’ than ‘nuclear scientist’. I think, it may be possible that some may say that you are hinting that a PhD is more glorifying then ‘Prof’ or ‘bharat-ratna’, and APJ has no shame, having known, ‘not to correct’ when some one address him with a title which may imply PhD, and can ‘glorify’ him more than he deserves.

Notice that I am not implying that, but, may be, just may be, some one else, less charitable than me, might think that. Hope that helps.

Finally have we really run out of real arguments that we have to resort to innuendos and non-value-theorems ( “only DDM and editors responsible for dorkiness?” or “scientists do not make good managers” ( I am paraphrasing, exact quotes and context is in messages in this thread) ?
As Ramnaji said, APJ ought to be judged by arguments in his own merit, and that ought to apply to Bradmins and members of this esteemed forum too.

Regards.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Arun_S wrote:abhijitm and AmberG : What gives?
I put a quick reply above. We all get busy some times.
Also, when you get some time, would you answer my question I asked in a few "thread generation" ago .. about why basic physics could show and exactly what you meant/mean when you implied that a non-liner curve would imply a non-scalable fusion test ... if you don't remember or busy, I understand.

regards.
-
rajrang
BRFite

Post by rajrang »

Amber G. wrote:
Amber G please list anything that Prof Kalam has done in nuclear science field! I will be highly obliged to be educated on nuclear research done by the best nuclear scientist that you know of. Anything in public domain will do, even his education, training or professional experience.

Arunji – Sure. The man has been Chief Scientific Adviser to Defence Minister and Secretary, Department of Defence Research & Development from many years, prior to and during POK II etc, it will be virtually impossible that the man did not learn more nuclear science then many of the PhD’s or wiki trained Fusion experts we know.

If some narrow meaning of the word “nuclear scientist” (eg PhD degree, or formal papers in public domain) is what you are insisting on, that’s non sequitur, like insisting on DNA sequencing for the title “father” of atomic bomb for Oppenheimer.

Any way, point is, notice the word ‘known’ (as in ‘known as nuclear scientist), and then you will not even need my help, just do a nexis/lexis search (or even google) and you would find that APJ is indeed referred as ‘nuclear scientist’ by sources as diverse as Newsweek to Dawn. For that matter, if you looked at the whole sentence quoted by Ramana, you would see that that phrase indeed, if I am not mistaken, was used by a media, sourced by other media, and ddm or no ddm word ‘known’ is apt.

Okay, Let us agree to disagree about what is the criteria to be called “nuclear scientist”. But then , for perspective, I am sure you know, there were many who vigorously argued against Hardy and questioned “Is Ramanujan even a mathematician” when Hardy wanted to Invite Ramanujan to Cambridge, and again when he nominated him for FRS.

But what concerns me, (gentle readers please read the whole material so that I am not accused of taking something out of context and then try to understand) is the following peculiar sentence:
Prof APJ Kalam is known to not correct or reprimanded reporter or hosts when they introduce and glorify him as country's top nuclear scientist.
Where in my post did I say anything to make Prof Kalam any less of a person? Please do not attribute to me something I have not said.
It is reasonable that some one, might wonder …why all these emphasis and emoticons in the original piece?

As I said, given, IMO , that ‘baharat-ratna’ or president is more ‘glorifying’ than ‘nuclear scientist’. I think, it may be possible that some may say that you are hinting that a PhD is more glorifying then ‘Prof’ or ‘bharat-ratna’, and APJ has no shame, having known, ‘not to correct’ when some one address him with a title which may imply PhD, and can ‘glorify’ him more than he deserves.

Notice that I am not implying that, but, may be, just may be, some one else, less charitable than me, might think that. Hope that helps.

Finally have we really run out of real arguments that we have to resort to innuendos and non-value-theorems ( “only DDM and editors responsible for dorkiness?” or “scientists do not make good managers” ( I am paraphrasing, exact quotes and context is in messages in this thread) ?
As Ramnaji said, APJ ought to be judged by arguments in his own merit, and that ought to apply to Bradmins and members of this esteemed forum too.

Regards.
Amber - with all respects to your solid arguments, let us also not forget the following:

Usually in the world of academic fundamental research in the U.S. for instance, top researchers or scientists tend to be ones with a high quality Ph.D. thesis frequently from a top notch Univ, followed by seminal contributions in their field (usually many hundred journal papers, funding from prestigous sources, supervised tens of Ph.D.s, post doctoral research etc.), frequently work in a leading University or Research Lab. This is not a "narrow" definition of research and we should not devalue these attributes. These are not exactly what former Pres Abdul Kalam has spent his lifetime doing. Industry research is offcourse more applied in nature, and is often influenced more by non-scientific factors including economics, politics, environment to name a few, greater emphasis is on innovation and patents.

Instead, I must state that former Pres Abdul Kalam is without doubt one of the greatest Indians - has done more for India's nuclear (civilian, military, missiles etc.). He has spent long years working on missiles. He has spent long years in senior administrative positions and finally 5 years as a great President of India when I am sure he was concentrating on wide variety of issues - international relations, domestic politics to name a few. When someone has spent long years as a leader in so many diverse areas, it also becomes difficult to be remain a "top nuclear scientist." I don't think the title of "top nuclear scientist" is necessary to increase his accomplishments. He has far more accomplishments.

Also there can also be mulitple viewpoints in research - especially when we are projecting the evolution of technology decades into the future.

The press and politicians can call anybody a "top nuclear scientist" - that is their freedom of speech. Again the example of Ramanujam is a good one - but it is an exception.

Regards
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

vina wrote:
CRamS wrote: Vina, why the rush to sign the deal? Even NYT says the same thing albeit for different reasons.
Precisely because of what the NYT says and also very studiously omits to say.

What the NYT , echoing and egged on by the NPA is actually saying is that the this deal is too good for India and should not be offered , especially when a new administration comes to power.
I have studied the US media at length, and please, when it comes to foreign policy and national interests, don't take these disagreements seriously. They could very well be orchestrated to show some dissent as a way of demonstrating to the western-attention craving Indian elite that "they have arrived on the world scene" and indeed India is getting a lot. Point being that as it stands, US is milking the s!it out of MMS/Sonia for the dog bones it throws in return (incuding the killing US businesses will rake in). And please don't get irritated with me for repeating this, but I am convinced that this deal (and the subsequent one with TSP) will make 'South Asia' nuke nude, an avowed goal of US-led western ruling elite. These phoney public shenanigans by the NPAs is to get the maximum, i.e., not let India even pretend to be a nuke power. But for sure NPAs will privately rejoice once MMS/Sonia sign the dotted line as they sure will. They know TSP will be a cake walk thereafter and this would be a colossal achievement on the proliferation front.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Apologies if I'm being naive but with our so called fizzle-bums aren't we considered a n-state? So if those bums have been made and put in place, and assuming this deal stops us from *any* further testing, development etc. how can "the feared tormentor" take away even the fizzle that we have? after all, isn't that what will be needed to made us completely n-nude?
rajrang
BRFite

Post by rajrang »

CRamS wrote:
Precisely because of what the NYT says and also very studiously omits to say.

What the NYT , echoing and egged on by the NPA is actually saying is that the this deal is too good for India and should not be offered , especially when a new administration comes to power.

I have studied the US media at length, and please, when it comes to foreign policy and national interests, don't take these disagreements seriously. They could very well be orchestrated to show some dissent as a way of demonstrating to the western-attention craving Indian elite that "they have arrived on the world scene" and indeed India is getting a lot. Point being that as it stands, US is milking the s!it out of MMS/Sonia for the dog bones it throws in return (incuding the killing US businesses will rake in). And please don't get irritated with me for repeating this, but I am convinced that this deal (and the subsequent one with TSP) will make 'South Asia' nuke nude, an avowed goal of US-led western ruling elite. These phoney public shenanigans by the NPAs is to get the maximum, i.e., not let India even pretend to be a nuke power. But for sure NPAs will privately rejoice once MMS/Sonia sign the dotted line as they sure will. They know TSP will be a cake walk thereafter and this would be a colossal achievement on the proliferation front.

I agree that the "free press" can be manipulated and even orchestrated (even as I submit that a "free press" is vastly superior to dictatorships).
vina
BRF Oldie

Post by vina »

CRamS wrote:I have studied the US media at length, and please, when it comes to foreign policy and national interests, don't take these disagreements seriously. They could very well be orchestrated to show some dissent as a way of demonstrating to the western-attention craving Indian elite that "they have arrived on the world scene" and indeed India is getting a lot.
That is highly speculative and debatable. It is just your "feeling" and not "facts".. Everyone has feelings and needs to be respected ..My feeling is the US is too diverse and complex a society to be orchestrated like that.. .Feelings however cannot be be basis of actions, facts are the basis.
Point being that as it stands, US is milking the s!it out of MMS/Sonia for the dog bones it throws in return (incuding the killing US businesses will rake in). And please don't get irritated with me for repeating this, but I am convinced that this deal (and the subsequent one with TSP) will make 'South Asia' nuke nude, an avowed goal of US-led western ruling elite. These phoney public shenanigans by the NPAs is to get the maximum, i.e., not let India even pretend to be a nuke power. But for sure NPAs will privately rejoice once MMS/Sonia sign the dotted line as they sure will. They know TSP will be a cake walk thereafter and this would be a colossal achievement on the proliferation front.
I really dont understand the Nook Nood business. We (NDA under Vajpayee ) have a voluntary moratorium in place for chrissakes ! !.I am sure that there are clauses in the Indo US about testing under "exceptional , supreme national interest" kind of circumstances and stuff along the lines of the foreign guys can take their nuclear fuel and go home kind of thing.. ( speculation from my side). So the testing business is for some very very low probability contingency event like an insurance policy ..something like if Pakis or Chinese were to resume testing kind of scenario.In fact, there is a global testing moratorium in place and there will be severe consequences for anyone breaking it, including for China if they do so.

The 123 doesnt make you any more Nook Nood(er) or less than now. I just continues with the current situation. If you are not Nook Nood now, then you continue to be Not Nook Nood. If you are Nook Nood currently, you continue to be so. Take your pick. In fact one of the major whines in NYT was that India did not agree to a fissile material cut off and also on caps on it's arsenal. So nothing changes between now and after 123!.

I happen to agree that Non Proliferation is bad and fully support the attempt to restrict it to the hands of a few. All I ask is that India be considered as a nuclear weapon state or equivalent :rotfl: (that is all, and no I dont see any hypocrisy on why few and not everyone.. sorry that is the way it is). It is in India's national interest to see that nukes are only in the hands of a few. We should support America's Non Proliferation attempts and I hope they succeed. Think over it. Defanging North Korea makes it one rogue less (esp to trade with the Pakis..) same with Libyans and Iranians. Does India's security get better if North Korea, Iran,Libya and a lot of others have nukes or does it get worse ? ..

Non proliferation is good for you :lol: :P (as long as india is an insider in the club), maybe you should learn to like it!!
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

vina wrote:
CRamS wrote:I have studied the US media at length, and please, when it comes to foreign policy and national interests, don't take these disagreements seriously. They could very well be orchestrated to show some dissent as a way of demonstrating to the western-attention craving Indian elite that "they have arrived on the world scene" and indeed India is getting a lot.
That is highly speculative and debatable. It is just your "feeling" and not "facts".. Everyone has feelings and needs to be respected ..My feeling is the US is too diverse and complex a society to be orchestrated like that.. .Feelings however cannot be be basis of actions, facts are the basis.

I agree with Crams on media on this one.
Last edited by svinayak on 06 Jul 2008 22:24, edited 1 time in total.
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

Amber G. wrote:
Arun_S wrote:abhijitm and AmberG : What gives?
I put a quick reply above. We all get busy some times.
Also, when you get some time, would you answer my question I asked in a few "thread generation" ago .. about why basic physics could show and exactly what you meant/mean when you implied that a non-liner curve would imply a non-scalable fusion test ... if you don't remember or busy, I understand.

regards.
-
Thanks Amber for that reply.
Suffices to say that if local and foreign media says some one is a nuclear scientist that has got to be true, even though Prof Kalam has till date NO (Ziltch) expertise or even managerial role in Nuclear field. By that yard stick IIRC Dr. Indira Gandhi was also a great scientist. That is my last opinion on the issue.

As for Basic Physics that is basic one any one can read and quickly come to conclusion. I no professor to teach.

As for Non linear curve, If I have time I will discuss that but only if I have freedom on this forum to rip the farce of RC and his cabal on Indian nuclear weapons tests and capability, and if I have more time on my hand. Of course Non-Proliferation considerations limit what I will say on open forum and need an audience that is upto speed on N Physics. But with much water under the bridge and changed constrains on time, prevent enough time to browse important threads on BRF, much less participate in em.

Thank you.
BSR Murthy
BRFite

Post by BSR Murthy »

I agree with vina on this one.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

What NDA said and believed in has no relevance for next govt. And, it is already proved by UPA. UPA could have easily reversed this policy like it did many others that NDA had.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

I really dont understand the Nook Nood business. We (NDA under Vajpayee ) have a voluntary moratorium in place for chrissakes !
They are not the same. The US does not care about a moratorium in place. It cares ONLY about proliferation. And, to the US where there are nuclear bombs there is FM, and, where there is FM, there is the remote possibility of proliferation.

Like I said before, they will only tighten the noose. India by saying moratorium is only helping the US position.

I think the US will tolerate a single test or even perhaps two. But never continued production of FM beyond a certain time.

The good news is that the Chicom boogie alive and well and the US NPAs included do have some sympathy for this argument.