India-Russia: News & Analysis

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Pulikeshi
BRFite

Re: India-Russia: News & Analysis

Post by Pulikeshi »

Igorr,

What can be said: "We surrender!" :mrgreen:
G Subramaniam
BRFite

Post by G Subramaniam »

Pulikeshi wrote:Igorr,

What can be said: "We surrender!" :mrgreen:
I guess this is what drives the Russian mail order brides popularity in the US and other western countries
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Ukrainian army has a leg up on the Russian one though...

Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

their Prime Minister as well....

Pulikeshi
BRFite

Post by Pulikeshi »

^^^^^
^^^^^
Gerard, what's that photographer dude on the ground doing??? :shock:

GS: Yes my friend, have ordered a few of them in the mail (including the Taj Mahal) and still waiting for it to arrive....
<sarc off>I've known Russian women who came to the U.S. that way and they are wonderful people... Most men would not have the brains to deal with a women both smart and good looking!</sarc off>

Guess you can't blame a man for having a soft spot for women in uniform.
The "French" in me reckons its better to surrender and make love than fight... :P
Igorr
BRFite

Post by Igorr »

Gerard wrote:Ukrainian army has a leg up on the Russian one though...
First of all
1) It's not in Ukraine but in Russia accordng to uniform
2) It's police academy class, not Army.
3) In Ukraine the population is about the same as in Russia itself - ethnic Russian for a most.
Igorr
BRFite

Post by Igorr »

:rotfl:
kvraghav
BRFite

Post by kvraghav »

I think the indian army should also import manpower from russian.Its the only thing that the army isint importing from russia,isint it?? :rotfl:
prashanth
BRFite

Post by prashanth »

kvraghav wrote:I think the indian army should also import manpower from russian.Its the only thing that the army isint importing from russia,isint it?? :rotfl:
Be accurate, womanpower.
Anurag
BRFite

Post by Anurag »

Oh man, that Ukrainian marching contingent! Reminds me of borat going.. 'My Khrum...' LOL
Igorr
BRFite

Post by Igorr »

Anurag wrote:Oh man, that Ukrainian marching contingent! Reminds me of borat going.. 'My Khrum...' LOL
OMG, who said you it's Ukraine??? :eek: It's the Russian police academy:
ImageImageImage
asprinzl
BRFite

Post by asprinzl »

The term "Mail Order Bride" in my opinion is a preety damning term. Many hundreds of women of many backgrounds have suffered and also ended up murdered through this scheme. During the 90s, I witnessed an Eastern European belly dancer slapped and forced to dance and also "prostitute" herself in an Egyptian cafe. Yes, you can blame the Arab guy for running a "white slavery" ring but the ultimate criminal has to be the varied Eastern European businessmen and their underworld allies who trick these women and bring them into such slave markets.

In Istanbul once the Turkish police stood by and watched as a Turk practically dragged a Russian girl by her long blonde hair passed me and my girlfriend at that time. I thought the police would do something. Or at least the female police. But they just stood there. The girl was protesting and crying as the man pulled her away. She must be no more than 20. For the next two days I had to nurse the nightmare my girlfriend had due to that incident. Its been ten years now and I still wonder what happened to that poor girl. I wonder if her parents knew what happened to her.

Along the way, I have come across Eastern European women walking the streets in Argentina, Venezuela, Israel, Turkey, Gulf Arab states, Macao, Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand, Lebanon, many parts of Europe, California and NYC. I have also read of them being sold into prostitution in North Korea and China.

I am willing to bet my last dollar that off these many women, only a very tiny fraction must be doing this willingly and most must be under some sort of force or pressure put on them to do it by criminal elements.

It is the ultimate shame on the various Russian, Ukrainian or Slovak businessmen to sell their own sisters into such dispeakable situation. But unfortunately, many of them lead preety respectable living in brand new shiny mansions in Moskva and Slav Petrograd, rubbing shoulders with high and mighty and the glitteratis with little or no remorse of the crime they commit against their own women.

So Igorr, it is quite heartening to see pictures of some females in Russia empowered to find roles in the uniform services instead of being enticed in false promise of better life elswhere. Hope many will be empowered similarly in times to come. All in all Putin has been good for Russia. Hope Russia doesn't collapse.

A nation that sells their womenfolk will be doomed. Another nation is impatiently waiting for that doom. The collapse is already visible. Persian population of Iran is now fifty percent. Persian women are having less babies compared to non-Persian Iranians. Many are forced into prostitution eitheir in Iranian cities or in Arab states or in Europe. The economy is in shambles despite windfall from oil profits. The money mostly goes to keep cronies of the powerful (Iranian RAPE class) in good humor while the general populace suffers. I think the Persian males have almost given up regardless of the Mullahs' rhetorics. May be that is why a lot of their vigilante police are Arabic speaking.
Avram
Igorr
BRFite

Post by Igorr »

Asprinzl, this problem is very hard but I think it can be cured only if Turkey, Egypt atc goverments will work with Interpol togather. Russian state as any other democratic state cannot forbide citizen to leave the country for any they want. BTW, the women in most cases go via job aggencies to Europe, Israel or Japan or even China and dont understank what waits for them there. Many Ukrainians and other East European come to Moscow for any work but starting working as prostitutes. You are wrong if you think such sexual slavery can happen only in an Islamic state. I saw a number of such cases been in Israel, and when I traveled in Germany in 2002 i saw a group of teens girls from Ukraine with their pimp traveled in the train to their 'place of work' I almost sure they had falsificated documents with them and it becomes them totally dependent from their exploaters. It was very annoyed problem in Israel till the state recently started to give VERY hard punishment for the middlemen. Women traffic - is a world problem. I read I remember an Israel newspaper article about the israeli girls who went to Japan workin as prostitutes. Let's know that many such women who do it consciousely prefer working in other state to not be recognized at home.
asprinzl
BRFite

Post by asprinzl »

Igorr,
In my opinion Interpol has been so politicized that it is almost useless. Yes, its a problem in Israel and I mentioned that above. The problem in Israel is that the criminals who operate have deep connection in Eastern Europe and also in Israel. Israel has a huge Russian immigrant population-both Jews and fake Jews- and many of these guys have criminal connections extending from TA to Kamchatka Peninsula. They have corrupt Israeli officials in their pocket and also corrupt Russian officials in their pockets. If they are wanted in Israel, they would just run away to Russia or some other place where they could be respected citizen. And without solid proof Interpol would not do anything.

I was amazed to read quite a lot of the victims were very highly educated. Lots of masters and PhDs.

Did you read a few months ago an Israeli criminal escaped when he was being transported under high level security? Its gotta be an inside job. Unfortunately, when an immigrant comes to Israel, he is sent to do military service. They get sophisticated military training and if there are signs of potential, they are sent to do more higher level military training. These trainings sometimes come handy in the criminal world.

The Israeli police may be good at preventing Muslim terrorism but when it comes to non-terrorist criminals, they would rather not get involved. A few policemen I know are scared $hit of comfronting mob related crimes. Its nothing new in Israel. I have talked to people who had seen such things even in the 50s and 60s.

In the early days, the common Arab had great respect for the Israeli because the poineers and Kibbutzims were hard working, straight forward and dealt with things honestly. Even when they hated the Jews, the Arabs had high respect for the Jews. These days, the Israeli is just like any other fellow- there is cheating, dishonesty, deceit, stealing etc. The Arabs see this and says to himself: "Hey, these guys are just like us...they do exactly like we do". Thus the respect the Arab had for Israel is slowly going down the drain. The rot is slowly setting in. Sadly.
Avram
Sanjay M
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanjay M »

NYT shows disdain for new popular Russian newspaper 'tabloids' (ones which don't peddle the Atlanticist line, as the NYT would like)

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/27/world ... loids.html
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

asprinzl wrote:The term "Mail Order Bride" in my opinion is a preety damning term. Many hundreds of women of many backgrounds have suffered and also ended up murdered through this scheme. During the 90s, I witnessed an Eastern European belly dancer slapped and forced to dance and also "prostitute" herself in an Egyptian cafe.
Avram
Avramji,
With due respect, MOB and prostitution are two different things all together. When I was in Germany, during the late 70s there were many young girls from Israel working as prostitutes in Hannover. Hannover those days was surrounded by farmland and farmers. The girls came in summer months and left before the winter came. I am sure the Israeli Govt. had no reason/way to stop them to go to Germany. Those days, I also presume it was easy for Israeli citizens to come to Germany on a tourist visa. I do not know what the situation is today. Prostitution was/is legal in Germany and the LE turned a blind eye to this trafficking due to political reasons. Now, the FFK Klubs in Germany are full of women from former Soviet Union States, where life is hard. Times have changed with the economic situation. Yesterday it was Israel today it is Russia.
Gautam
Igorr
BRFite

Post by Igorr »

Been following the issue of Russian Amazons:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

prashanth wrote:
kvraghav wrote:I think the indian army should also import manpower from russian.Its the only thing that the army isint importing from russia,isint it?? :rotfl:
Be accurate, womanpower.
you MCPs, that should be person-power ! :twisted:
Igorr
BRFite

Post by Igorr »

Russian heavy armored formations have entered the capital of South Ossetia:
http://www.zshare.net/download/16720808c2d5fe5c/
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

Good news. Teach the Gruzins a good lesson. They have taken Russia for granted for long.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

MSNBC is reporting that Geogia has launched a counter offensive and shot down 4 RU aircrafts. 100s of civilians are dead.

Further more, it is reporting that RUians started it at teh start of Olympics and between change in US prez seat.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Russian Forces Invade Georgia
By Margarita Antidze, Reutersposted: 10 MINUTES AGOcomments: 135PrintSharefiled under: World NewsText SizeAAAMEGVREKISI, Georgia (Aug. 8 ) -- Russia sent forces into Georgia on Friday to repel a Georgian assault on the breakaway South Ossetia region and Georgia's pro-Western president said the two countries were at war.
South Ossetia rebel leader Eduard Kokoity said there were "hundreds of dead civilians" in the main town Tskhinvali, Russia's Interfax news agency quoted him as saying.
A senior Russian military commander said parts of Russia's 58th army were approaching the rebel capital, where fighting raged between Russian-backed separatists and Georgian forces sent in on Friday to seize it.
A senior Georgian security official said Russian jets had bombed the Vaziani military airbase outside the Georgian capital Tbilisi, and President Mikheil Saakashvili said 150 Russian tanks, armored personnel carriers and other vehicles had entered South Ossetia from neighboring Russia.
"Russia is fighting a war with us in our own territory," Saakashvili told CNN, calling on Washington to help.
He also said Georgian forces had downed two Russian jets. There was no immediate confirmation Russia had sent bombers.
A top Russian military commander said more than 10 Russian peacekeepers in South Ossetia had been killed and nearly 30 wounded, Russian news agencies reported.
The roar of warplanes and the explosions of heavy shells were deafening more than two miles away from Tskhinvali. Many houses were ablaze.
U.S. President George W. Bush discussed the situation with Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin in Beijing, where world leaders were attending the opening of the Olympic Games, the White House said, giving no further information.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov accused the Georgians of driving people from their homes. "We are receiving reports that a policy of ethnic cleansing was being conducted in villages in South Ossetia , the number of refugees is climbing, the panic is growing, people are trying to save their lives," he said during televised remarks from the ministry.
Marat Kulakhmetov, commander of Russian peacekeepers in the territory, earlier told Interfax by telephone from Tskhinvali: "As a result of many hours of shelling from heavy guns, the town is practically destroyed."
The crisis, the first to confront Russian President Dmitry Medvedev since he took office in May, looked close to spiraling into full-blown war in a region emerging as a key energy transit route, and where Russia and the West are vying for influence.
MOBILISATION
Saakashvili told reporters: "This is a clear intrusion on another country's territory. We have Russian tanks on our territory, jets on our territory in broad daylight." He ordered a full-scale mobilization of military reservists.
The conflict dented sentiment on Russia's benchmark equity index, which fell more than 4 percent to a 14-month low, while the rouble lost over 1 percent against a basket of 0.45 euros and 0.55 dollars.
NATO, the European Union and the United States, a vocal Georgian ally, all urged a halt to the bloodshed.
Andrei Chistyakov, a correspondent for Russia's Vesti-24 television station, said at least 15 civilians had been killed in Tskhinvali, where thousands of people took refuge in cellars.
"These are the people whose bodies were seen in their yards and in the streets," he said by telephone.
Medvedev vowed to defend Russian "compatriots" in South Ossetia , whose separatist administration is supported by Russia, and where most people have been given Russian passports.
"We will not allow their deaths to go unpunished," Interfax quoted him as saying.
Georgia said its operation, launched after a week of clashes between separatists and Georgian troops in which nearly 20 people were killed, was aimed at ending South Ossetia 's effective independence, won in a 1991-92 war.
The majority of the roughly 70,000 people living in South Ossetia are ethnically distinct from Georgians. They say they were forcibly absorbed into Georgia under Soviet rule and now want to exercise their right to self-determination.
LEADERS AT OLYMPICS
Putin said Georgia had used heavy armor and artillery and attacked Russian peacekeepers. "This is very sad and this will incur a response," he said in Beijing.
Georgian Interior Ministry spokesman Shota Utiashvili said government forces had also fought mercenaries who had entered South Ossetia from Russia.
Georgian Prime Minister Lado Gurgenidze said the operation would continue until a "durable peace" had been reached.
The Kremlin said Medvedev had summoned his top security advisers to discuss how to restore peace and defend civilians "within the peacekeeping mandate we have."
At an emergency session of the United Nations on Thursday night, Russia failed to push through a statement that would have called on both sides to stop fighting immediately.
Saakashvili, who wants to take his small Caucasus nation into NATO, has made it a priority to win back control of South Ossetia and Abkhazia, another rebel region on the Black Sea.
The issue has bedeviled Georgia's relations with Russia, which is angered by Tbilisi's moves towards the Western fold and its pursuit of NATO membership.
Copyright 2008, Reuters
Igorr
BRFite

Post by Igorr »

Till now 12 Russian peace-keeper were dead and as 1500 Ossetian civilians. All Georgian air-bases are under attack.
Igorr
BRFite

Post by Igorr »

Something from the street:
Rishi
Forum Moderator

Post by Rishi »

Has there been any Russian accounts/histories (books/articles) of the Chechen War?

http://www.christusrex.org/www1/icons/r ... ities.html

The above stories (while it seems anti-Russian propaganda) actually seems believable in the war-time context. I can only imagine the kind of atmosphere one has to operate in in war-zones. The above accounts also reminded me of the movie "In the valley of Elijah" which portrays Americans in Iraq and how they adjusted on returning from the tour of duty.

Makes me believe that the suspension of rules of human conduct is common across cultures during war-time.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

while it seems anti-Russian propaganda
christusrex (Christ is King) ? You can bet it is propaganda. Gotta convert those Orthodox...
Karan Dixit
BRFite

Post by Karan Dixit »

Karan Dixit
BRFite

Post by Karan Dixit »

An India-Russia working group met here Monday to discuss key military issues like the licensed production in India of the T-90 main battle tank and joint production of a fifth generation fighter aircraft.

http://www.calcuttanews.net/story/395958
Karan Dixit
BRFite

Post by Karan Dixit »

NEW DELHI: India and Russia resolved to continue with defence cooperation in a number of sensitive areas during a two-day meeting which ended here on Tuesday.

http://www.thehindu.com/2008/08/20/stor ... 741300.htm
Igorr
BRFite

Post by Igorr »

Just funny song :) Kuban cossak children chorus:
http://ru.youtube.com/watch?v=_ABBhRp6b ... re=related
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

Igorr wrote:Been following the issue of Russian Amazons:
I unconditionally surrender :shock: That jhatka was too much for me
G Subramaniam
BRFite

Book review of David Glantz ' When Titans Clashed '

Post by G Subramaniam »

David Glantz is the western authority on WW2 eastern front

Some interesting facts

1. There is a popular myth in the west , that Hitler lost because he invaded the balkans in May 1941 and postponed Barbarossa to June 22
--
For the balkans operation, reserve and rear echelon troops were used, not the frontline troops
Next, the ground was still wet in Hitler could not start his offensive until
June 22, 1941
Incidentally, the 1942 Summer offensive started on June 28, 1942 and Operation Zitadelle started on July 5, 1943 and Operation Bagration,
The soviet 1944 Summer offensive started on June 22

2. The popular story in the west that the Soviets delibarately stopped short of Warsaw in Aug, 1944 to let the Nazis kill off the pro-british Polish resistance is false
The soviets had advanced for 2 months and 400 miles and had outrun their supplies.

3. The myth that the soviets had unlimited manpower and won solely by mass attacks
--
In 1941, the ratio of Axis soldiers to Russian soldiers was 1:1
In 1942 it was 1: 1.5
In 1943, it was 1: 2
In 1944, it was 1: 2.5
In 1945 it was 1: 3

Even in 1945, in 30% of the front, the Germans had numerical superiority but lacked the mobility to take advantage
And by 1945, the russians were down to their last reserves and were drafting 16 year olds

4. The german diversion to Kiev in September 1941 was not a mistake
because the forces in kiev unless defeated could pose a threat to the flanks of the drive to moscow

5. Blitzkrieg vs Deep Battle
The Soviet Doctrine was called Deep Battle and was a combined arms
operation like blitzkrieg but it took several years of battle to perfect
The final manifestation of this was the Manchurian operation in 1945
which was launched partly to test out the latest version of this tactic

Blitzkrieg was a like rapier, and designed to end the war in one brief campaign
Deep Battle recognised that it would take several campaigns to destroy the enemy
Deep Battle also recognised that in 4 months the main army would be destroyed and there was the need for large reserves
Hence starting in 1937, every soviet male from 16 to 50 received 60 days of basic training and this enabled the Soviets to have a reserve of 16 million

Whereas, until Stalingrad, many Germans could dodge the draft
and Germany did not have the deep reserves and the hastily raised reserves of 1944 and 1945 were untrained and low quality

6. The Soviets were able to mass advantages of 10:1 at the key attack points and this was due to the soviet tactic of deception called
Maskirovka. Radio Silence was observed and troops were moved at night. Maskirovka was the reason for the huge soviet victory of Operation Bagration, which was even more catastrophic for the germans than Stalingrad
Due to Maskirovka, the germans expected Army group north ukraine to be attacked , whereas Army group center was attacked

7. Even during the battle of Moscow, about 40% of the Russian forces were kept at other fronts such as Manchuria, Turkish border etc

8. Starting 1943, the russians started exhibiting superior generalship
For example, During the battle of the Dnieper 1943, if the Russians experience severe resistance at some point, they would break off contact at night and switch the attack 30 miles away by dawn

9. The soviets were easily able to cross river barriers, Volga, Don, Donets, Dnieper, whereas the western allies were held back 6 months by the Rhine
Igorr
BRFite

Post by Igorr »

More two songs of Cuban cossacs chorus, that I like very much:
http://ru.youtube.com/watch?v=5473tydmGHg
http://ru.youtube.com/watch?v=lnn7JZ2Vm ... re=related
renukb
BRFite

Post by renukb »

'G-8 lacks influence without India and China'
http://in.news.yahoo.com/241/20080831/1 ... -an_1.html

Sun, Aug 31 03:38 AM

Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has said the G8 group of the eight biggest industrial nations, does not carry enough weight and influence without the presence of emerging economies like India and China. Without involving India and China and without consulting them in major decisions, development of the world economy is impossible, Putin said.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin on Sunday helped fix a collar with a satellite tracker on a tiger during a visit to the Ussuriysky forest reserve.
kidoman
BRFite

Post by kidoman »

Russian PM Putin saves TV crew from Siberian tiger
Moscow, September 1: : Prime Minister Vladimir Putin was feted by Russian media on Sunday for saving a television crew from an attack by a Siberian tiger in the wilds of the Far East.
Putin, taking a break from lambasting the West over Georgia, apparently saved the crew while on a trip to a national park to see how researchers monitor the tigers in the wild.

Just as Putin was arriving with a group of wildlife specialists to see a trapped Amur tiger, it escaped and ran towards a nearby camera crew, the country's main television station said. Putin quickly shot the beast and sedated it with a tranquilizer gun.

"Vladimir Putin not only managed to see the giant predator up close but also saved our television crew too," a presenter on Rossiya television said at the start of the main evening news.

The 55-year-old former KGB spy, who cultivated a macho image during his eight years as the Kremlin chief, was shown striding through the taiga in camouflage and desert boots before grappling with the feline foe.

He helped measure the Amur tiger's incisors before placing a satellite transmitter around the neck of the beast, which can weigh up to 450 kg (1,000 lb) and measure around ten feet (three metres) from nose to the tip of the tail.

The Amur tiger, the world's biggest wild cat, has recently pounced back from the brink of extinction to hit its highest population level for at least 100 years, the WWF said last year.

Putin thanked Western researchers for being involved in programmes to save the Amur tigers.

"First of all, we must thank our colleagues, Americans, European colleagues for being involved with this during a difficult time for Russia when no-one was paying any attention to this," Putin said.

Putin last year made it into glossy magazines across the world by donning combat trousers and baring his muscular torso for photographers while on a fishing trip in the Yenisei river.

Sensitive to a growing environmental movement in Russia, Putin as president redrew a planned oil pipeline route to avoid Lake Baikal and scrapped plans for an Olympic village near Sochi that could have damaged local flora and fauna.

LINK

Wow..Wish we had a leader like him..A real-life hero.
Sanjay M
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanjay M »

Are you sure this isn't just a puff-piece?

Oh well, at least he's not like Cheney, shooting his hunting partner in the face with buckshot.