BR Forums Feedback

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
asbchakri
BRFite

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Post by asbchakri »

krishnan wrote:There is no link from forums page to the BR main page. Every time i have to goto the main page , i have to type the address manually in the location bar.
What are u talking about? It is there on the top in a grey bar
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

I dont find any link to www.bharat-rakshak.com, from the forums page. I really dunno whether its that important to have one though. But i always like to have a link o my home page from any where else in by website.
niran
BRF Oldie

Post by niran »

krishnan wrote:I dont find any link to http://www.bharat-rakshak.com, from the forums page. I really dunno whether its that important to have one though. But i always like to have a link o my home page from any where else in by website.
where it says "Here"

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh28 ... pshot1.jpg

Admins, sorry to spoil the page format. Please delete this post when Dear Krishnan acknowledges.
Last edited by Rahul M on 26 Jul 2008 04:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to leave link only.
sindbad
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sindbad »

Hi,

May I suggest a Careers forum?

This may initiate discussion about how genuinely interested recent graduates and the experienced workforce can contribute to Indian Intelligence.

regards,
sid
p_saggu
BRFite

Post by p_saggu »

Yo webmasters,
The links on the forum pages used to open in new tabs/windows when we clicked on them earlier. Not so now.
Anything that can be done at your end or mine? I want them to open in new tabs (Mozilla)
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Jagan/webmasters, for opening links in new windows, check out this link.

Click on the "Posting" navigation tab. Try to edit the [URL] BBCode. you can see something like this:

<a href="{url}"> {Name}</a>

Make sure you have "target=_blank" in the <a> tag and that should take care of the problem. It should be like this instead of the above:

<a href="{url}" target="_blank"> {Name}</a>
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

Site Admins:

The BR acronym thread is something unique about BR and is hugely useful for new commers (heck it is even useful sometime to older not so frequent participants). I also see it as part of BR branding component and intellectual property.

I was thinking of having a more easier way to get reference to all the acronyms in a tabular format, or a wiki type link, which will link to other related acronyms. At the very least an index with links to explanation will be fine. You may update these links in the index every so often or once a fixed number of new acronyms added.

Just a suggestion. Take it FWIW.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

SA, I agree !!
would you take the lead in creating a page on wiki, under the BR page that exists ??
thanks.
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

Rahul M wrote:SA, I agree !!
would you take the lead in creating a page on wiki, under the BR page that exists ??
thanks.
Rahul,

I would be welcome to take this up. I hate to say this currently I am swamped at work and difficult to give you a timeline. It may well be a month or so later. Let me know if that's OK.

-Satya
k prasad
BRFite

Post by k prasad »

Rahul M wrote:
Satya_anveshi wrote:Site Admins:

The BR acronym thread is something unique about BR and is hugely useful for new commers (heck it is even useful sometime to older not so frequent participants). I also see it as part of BR branding component and intellectual property.

I was thinking of having a more easier way to get reference to all the acronyms in a tabular format, or a wiki type link, which will link to other related acronyms. At the very least an index with links to explanation will be fine. You may update these links in the index every so often or once a fixed number of new acronyms added.

Just a suggestion. Take it FWIW.
SA, I agree !!
thanks.
Sorry about this Anveshi.... I think you created a section on the BR page, which i deleted before seeing this. Anyway, i think putting a list of acronyms on the BR wikipedia page isn't the best idea, since it doesn't add much information for those who dont even know about BR. BR is more than a list of acronyms on the forum, and unfortunately, creating such a list will give the impression taht BR is just another net forum.

Second, such a list would not make sense wrt the rest of the text, and will be out of sync. However, if you do have any news link that talks about Lingua BRFica, I'd be happy to add a reference to the page.

I suggest creating a separate page on BR itself , with a full list of acronyms. Better sense than creating it on wiki.

P.S. Was it BR where the acronym NPA was born???
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

[quote="k prasadI suggest creating a separate page on BR itself , with a full list of acronyms. Better sense than creating it on wiki.
P.S. Was it BR where the acronym NPA was born???[/quote]

That was my suggestion. Rahul suggested that Wiki page can also be enhanced and I think that too is a good idea. Like I said, I can think about it once the red hot charcoal under my office seat cools off :cry:
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Well, if somebody (doesn't have to be one person) can find the time to compile a list of BR-speak in alphabetical order, that can be put into the first post of the thread for ready reference.
regards.

added later.
speaking of BR on wiki,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_ ... _or_non-RS

text search for bharat-rakshak on the page.
Rishi
Forum Moderator

Post by Rishi »

http://brf.wik.is/BRF_Acronyms_and_Nomenclature

Please register and add the BRF acronyms and lore... (Any one have the Manku Thimma Vernier Calipers SDRE Test post?)

Have fun folks :)
andy B
BRFite

Post by andy B »

Hey Guys,

Can someone please give me some suggestions on why I cant access BR from my home pc. I have a very high bandwidth connection with heaps of download limit. I cant even access BR from both of my flatmates computers either.

At this point I dont want to do a full format as I dont have the capability of backing 300gb of data.

Rishi did suggest using the IP address...so does that mean i just type BR's IP in the address tab of IE. If so can someone please give me the IP of BR....this is driving me absolutely INSANE!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
pankaj
BRFite -Trainee

Post by pankaj »

The IP address of http://www.bharat-rakshak.com is 78.129.163.25
niran
BRF Oldie

Post by niran »

Try this IP 206.222.29.226
this is the forum index page, from there browse to the main page.
The main page server shows it is in Bartania. The Forum
server shows it is in eyeran :eek: may be your ISP blocks
asscess to them.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Guys, Is anyone on this board a student or staff or faculty in the Vanderbilt University at Nashville, TN? If yes, I may need a favour . Please email me at jagan AT warbirdsofindia DOT com if you are a student or staff at this place
k prasad
BRFite

Post by k prasad »

Rishi wrote:http://brf.wik.is/BRF_Acronyms_and_Nomenclature

Please register and add the BRF acronyms and lore... (Any one have the Manku Thimma Vernier Calipers SDRE Test post?)

Did BR just create its own wiki??? If so, why so quietly??

Also, why the funny link... why cant it be based in India rather than Israel?
Rishi
Forum Moderator

Post by Rishi »

k prasad wrote:
Rishi wrote:http://brf.wik.is/BRF_Acronyms_and_Nomenclature

Did BR just create its own wiki??? If so, why so quietly??

Also, why the funny link... why cant it be based in India rather than Israel?
Nothing official about it. I just posted the wiki link to my fav WYSIWYG wiki site and invited all to contribute. Maybe BR will have a wiki too someday. But till then, we can use a free service like this.
webmaster
BiG Boss - BR Site

Post by webmaster »

Anand Barve wrote:Hey Guys,

Can someone please give me some suggestions on why I cant access BR from my home pc. I have a very high bandwidth connection with heaps of download limit. I cant even access BR from both of my flatmates computers either.

At this point I dont want to do a full format as I dont have the capability of backing 300gb of data.

Rishi did suggest using the IP address...so does that mean i just type BR's IP in the address tab of IE. If so can someone please give me the IP of BR....this is driving me absolutely INSANE!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Anand - Please drop me an email at: srpatel AT bharat-rakshak.com

I suspect that IP range for your home ISP is being blocked.

Cheers,
Seetal
Shivani
BRFite

Post by Shivani »

Hello

1. There's a new feature that is annoying for us slow typists. When I quote a post and type out my reply and click the 'submit' button, sometimes I get the message that another post has been made on the thread. There's no option to post my reply then, so I have to go back, copy my reply, go back another page, locate the post, quote it yet again and then post. It is time consuming and poor usability, to say the least.

What purpose is being served by this feature? If there's a new post, I'll read it after I'm done posting! This kind of crude over-shepherding is not desirable.

2. Below the user names, there is some basic information like Date Joined, Number of Posts, Location etc. The Date joined however even lists the time of joining the forum. Is that kind of fine granularity even needed? It adds clutter to that part of page, and little value. Knowing the date, month and year of registration should be sufficient. I include an image attachment to illustrate:
http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/1127/br1qs9.png
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

shivani, both the features you mentioned are in built to this new forum software and there is nothing that can be done about it. we just have to live with it.

that being said,
1. There's a new feature that is annoying for us slow typists. When I quote a post and type out my reply and click the 'submit' button, sometimes I get the message that another post has been made on the thread. There's no option to post my reply then, so I have to go back, copy my reply, go back another page, locate the post, quote it yet again and then post. It is time consuming and poor usability, to say the least.
there is no reason why this should happen. the compose space should show the quoted part anyway. no need to go back or any such thing. just click submit once again and that's that.
Shivani
BRFite

Post by Shivani »

Thank you for the prompt reply and help. I'll be more observant the next time this happens.
Avinash R
BRFite

Post by Avinash R »

Anand
click this link to view BR Homepage
OR
this link to view BR forums.
Sumeet
BRFite

Post by Sumeet »

with the rise of homegrown fundamentalism don't you [admins] think it will be wise to for BRF to give up its policy on human sounding names ? Secondly I think it will be only fair to give the right to change ones username to each individual BRFite.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Sumeet wrote:with the rise of homegrown fundamentalism don't you [admins] think it will be wise to for BRF to give up its policy on human sounding names ? Secondly I think it will be only fair to give the right to change ones username to each individual BRFite.
sumeet, one doesn't have to use his real name. use a fictional name as far removed from your actual identity as you want.use bruce owen or peter parker if you want. I don't think giving right to change username to members is possible with the current forum sw, but we can change the usernames. but I have to take the opinions of other mods regarding this.
regards.
Rishi
Forum Moderator

Post by Rishi »

Sumeet wrote:with the rise of homegrown fundamentalism don't you [admins] think it will be wise to for BRF to give up its policy on human sounding names ? Secondly I think it will be only fair to give the right to change ones username to each individual BRFite.
I believe that the policy of using human sounding names was to make sure that one wound not have to address posters will names like "Junujhunu ka loverboy" or "MiG35 Rulzzzz", "Downhillskier768". Some have of course, passed under the radar.

If you feel that you need to change your handle on BRF, pick another human sounding name (eg Amar, Akbar ,Anthony, Kunta Kinte etc) and mail the admins.
p_saggu
BRFite

Post by p_saggu »

Dear admin,
Are the new posts in the Strategic Issues and the Technology and Economic forums going to appear in the BRF home page or has this been given up?
I noticed today that "Indian Democratic System" thread made it to the homepage new posts section.

Please please restore that feature there earlier would go a long way to ease of navigating through the latest posts.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

p_saggu, the update option tinkering will take some time. but it will be done eventually.
the best way to navigate through the latest posts is by the "view active topics" function at the left top corner of every page.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Sumeet wrote:I think it will be only fair to give the right to change ones username to each individual BRFite.

I will address this portion of it. Having the ability would result in people changing their handle whenever they feel like it.
Nitesh
BRFite

Post by Nitesh »

Sir ji

check this troll, can something be done about it :evil:
http://anthropovision.blogspot.com/2008 ... india.html
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Rishi has already mentioned it, but I feel this should be repeated once more for the benefit of the members now that mods are in agreement.

*************************Announcement*******************************

If any member wishes to change their username for reasons of security or privacy,
they can post here mentioning a human sounding name of their choice
(w/o numerics and or callsigns etc) and we will do the needful.

added later : alternatively, you can mail me at anirban dat flames at g m a i l dat cam (no gaps)
Last edited by Rahul M on 28 Jul 2008 05:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added email.
haresh_singh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by haresh_singh »

Can the Army Gallery be updated more often please ?
Also are there any Indian pictures available on the recent Indo-UK training ex Himalayan Warrior ?
There are a very few from the UK participants but not much.
p_saggu
BRFite

Post by p_saggu »

Rahul M wrote:The best way to navigate through the latest posts is by the "view active topics" function at the left top corner of every page
Hey really cool. Is this a new feature included in this site upgrade? I've already created a tab for this on my browser.

Much Appreciated.
PS: Can you give a email address where mails for change of userID's can be sent? Or maybe allow PMs to be sent. I would like to change my ID. Already a few people have recognized me from my wrong-doings on the BENIS dhaga.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

mail me at anirban dat flames at g m a i l dat cam (no gaps)
prashanth
BRFite

Post by prashanth »

Admin sirs,
Is private messaging disabled for all members other than admins? I cannot use it .
Rishi
Forum Moderator

Post by Rishi »

prashanth wrote:Admin sirs,
Is private messaging disabled for all members other than admins? I cannot use it .
Currently admin only.
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

Is there a way so that I can print all pages of thread in one page format. - Thanks
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Muppalla wrote:Is there a way so that I can print all pages of thread in one page format. - Thanks
No. Not with this software.
namit k
BRFite

Post by namit k »

It is very difficult to start a new thread on some new ideas here.
Question is, why the forum mods lock new threads which they find inappropriate
but sometimes constraining the limit of imagination and exitement related to that,that could be done on that new tech in this forum, are the forum mods some babus? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

here you are smarty pants, something you should have read before creating umpteen juvenile topics.

*** Forum Guidelines - Click to Read ***
Checklist before posting New Topics
New members are requested to please check the forum for threads that already have content relating to any questions/comments they may want to post and post questions on there. This may require some lurking and reading through forum posts. If anyone has questions related to technology, future developments or any other simple queries, please post them in the Question Board folder.

The forum has a lot of traffic and too many topics fill up the forum too fast, unless we can all cooperate to keep the number of threads down to a manageable level. Sometimes there are questions that have no easy answers, and people get the impression that their question is not getting the attention it deserves because there are no answers. That is wrong. Also, please remember that there is no competition on to see whose thread gets the most traffic. This is an internet forum and no special status is granted to a public personality over a regular member. Ultimately the content of each member's posts and his/her ability to contribute positively in a harmonious fashion are recognized by other members.

I'm sure, in your 'excitement' you have already created the next uber-fighter aircraft with your imagination, complete with laser cannons and fusion engines.
but in this forum people prefer to deal in facts, not fiction or speculation.
That is not negotiable.
Rahul.