Chandrayan-1 moon mission

Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Re: Chandrayan-1 mission launched succesfully

Post by Arun_S »

Yerna wrote:
So.. after lift off, vertical, and then you see when it clears the clouds, it almost veers off at around 50* angle. Just checking if this is the normal angle that we send or have taken extra few tangential to place it a highly eliptical orbit?
I think all SHAR launches do a 'dog leg' manoveur to avoid Sri Lanka.
There was no "Dog Leg" in this mission because it is not a polar orbit (that requires insertion into a South-North polar orbit).

Vehicle was launched at Azimuth of 110 degree North and maintained that track all along.

Full video of the launch (4 Hours length) is available on ISRO website, where all parameters are shown as it progresses. Its beautiful.

http://www.isro.org/brodcast.htm
skganji
BRFite -Trainee

Post by skganji »

Great things are achieved not in a day. Even though ISRO waited for years to launch , their mission will be definitely far more successful than any other similar missions carried by other countries. Mera Bharat Mahan. Jai Hind.
Daedalus
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Daedalus »

Arun_S wrote:
siva wrote: Thats what i also thought, Thats the reason i posted this video
Good video.
No that is not stage separation. Is an upper atmosphere phenomenon (I cant recall the specific term).

Siva-saar: Long time no see. Welcome back.
I had my doubts, because there was nothing falling down. This clears it. Nice video though.
SwamyG wrote:Some perspective:
The Chandrayaan mission costs $80 million compared to China's $187 million lunar probe launched last year, and Japan's $480 million Kayuga mission.
www.dw-world.de
Reliability and cost effectiveness. 2009 is the year India is going to surpass Chicom in space tech by successfully launching GSLV Mk3, the most powerful and biggest rocket ever to be build by India and that too 100% in India. Chicoms only have their moded ICBMS that can blow up any time of the day.
rsingh
BRF Oldie

Post by rsingh »

Aunty is throwing up. In newshour they invited Prafull c*****a to discuss the launch who goes blah-blah about how ISRO wasted money.........to the delight of bigger C*****a host of the prog. Then they invited another constipat shadow Tory minister who argued that UK has to cut aid to India because it is being misused. :(( :(( :(( . I never experienced such loosers who are talking about aid which nobody asked for in first place.
skganji
BRFite -Trainee

Post by skganji »

vsudhir wrote:From the Nation's linked story...
ISRO scientists visited temples to seek the blessings of Hindu gods before the launch, and afterwards some expressed relief that rain had held off until the rocket was in space. "The rain gods have been kind to us," Madhavan said.
/sarc on
Very unphortunate that shri M Nair inadvertently communalized this pan-Indian achievement onlee. Now the pra-fools and the Pakis will smell conspiracy even on the moon.
/sarc off
This is absolutely disgusting. They are unnecessarily making an issue with the scientists seeking blessings from Lord Balaji.
Paki Media is feeding Islamic fundamentalism by all means.
Daedalus
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Daedalus »

Arun_S wrote:Full video of the launch (4 Hours length) is available on ISRO website, where all parameters are shown as it progresses. Its beautiful.

I did follow that link but could not get to the video. I there a direct link to the video.
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

Swamy ji thank you for the orbital and escape details. Wow! I used to think that escape from Earths gravity is performed much earlier than that. Couple of swings around Earth orbit, and fire boosters whoosh..on the way to Moon. Is this the way other orbiters went? Or the Apollo missions?

I feel really happy for Scientific endeavours in India. Lot of young kids now will fire up, wanting to become Scientists and Engineers rather than trash JNU passouts.

Really humbling to read about Dr Annadurai and Dr Shiv kumars experiences. Amazing and as usual Mother India always humbles one's soul. Yes indeed the Sons of the soil are worth more than any mofo socialite with an accent!

Wish after this mission GOI announces 20 Crore or something like that for ALL those involved in this. Specially the ISRO folks. I have nothing but the warmest and deepest regards for these superb people.
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

Arun_S wrote:
Good video.
No that is not stage separation. Is an upper atmosphere phenomenon (I cant recall the specific term).

Looked at the complete launch video at ISRO. Correlating the time, I can confirm the above phenomenon was due to spacecraft crossing sonic barrier. The shock waves were huge for sure coning from many different surfaces.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

harbans wrote:Swamy ji thank you for the orbital and escape details. Wow! I used to think that escape from Earths gravity is performed much earlier than that. Couple of swings around Earth orbit, and fire boosters whoosh..on the way to Moon. Is this the way other orbiters went? Or the Apollo missions?

I feel really happy for Scientific endeavours in India. Lot of young kids now will fire up, wanting to become Scientists and Engineers rather than trash JNU passouts.
Harbans: I forgot to mention that this point you bring out was the SOLE purpose of this Chandrayan mission.

Go back 7 years when this discussion was evolving. Self confidence and resurgence of Indian populace specially the future Karta Dharta" the youth was pivitol for a changing India. That is the reason President APJ Kalam was solidly behind this project. In spite of the JNU Jhollawalla's singing 'India is poor and money is better spent in poverty alleviation'.

Back then I gave an interview in an Australian Radio station program on "Indian Space Program and Chandryan" that also had Prof.K Kasturirangan (then chairman of ISRO), where I eloquently spoke about Chandrayan as well as Indian space program, its uniquely people focused effort, yet the scientific value Chandrayan will bring to the world at large. And responded to the argument of spending money on space program; in that instead of wasting money to give fish to the needy, it is about teaching people to catch fish that will serve lifetime need. That Australian radio was known to be a evangelical radio station, but some one had to take a stand for India, and the BR Admin team chose me to represent Indian posture.

I have that Radio broadcast recoding somewhere in my computer.
Really humbling to read about Dr Annadurai and Dr Shiv kumars experiences. Amazing and as usual Mother India always humbles one's soul. Yes indeed the Sons of the soil are worth more than any mofo socialite with an accent!
Indeed.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

The idea was mooted in 1999. And it took only 9 years to get this past the first phase. And 4 out of the 9 years were spent in studies and discussions involving scientists and engineers from different fields.

When it is finally place on the 100Km orbit, it would have been just 5 years of implementation.
The idea of undertaking an Indian scientific mission to Moon was initially mooted in a meeting of the Indian Academy of Sciences in 1999 that was followed up by discussions in the Astronautical Society of India in 2000. Based on the recommendations made by the learned members of these forums, a National Lunar Mission Task Force was constituted by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO). Leading Indian scientists and technologists participated in the deliberations of the Task Force that provided an assessment on the feasibility of an Indian Mission to the Moon as well as dwelt on the focus of such a mission and its possible configuration.

The task force recommended that given the technical expertise of ISRO it will be extreme worthwhile to plan an Indian Mission to the Moon. It also provided specific inputs such as the primary scientific objectives of such a mission, plausible instruments to meet these objectives, launch and spacecraft technologies that need to be developed and suggested the need for setting up of a Deep Space Network (DSN) station in India for communication with the lunar orbiting spacecraft. The team also provided a provisional budgetary estimate.

The Study Report of the Task Team was discussed in April 2003 by a peer group of about 100 eminent Indian scientists representing various fields of planetary & space sciences, earth sciences, physics, chemistry, astronomy, astrophysics and engineering and communication sciences. After detailed discussions, it was unanimously recommended that India should undertake the Mission to Moon, particularly in view of the renowned international interest on moon with several exciting missions planned for the new millennium. In addition, such a mission will provide the needed thrust to basic science and engineering research in the country including new challenges to ISRO to go beyond the geostationary orbit. Further, such a project will also help bringing in young talents to the arena of fundamental research. The Academia, in particular, the university scientists would also find participation in such a project intellectually rewarding.

Subsequently, Government of India approved ISRO's proposal for the first Indian Moon Mission, called Chandrayaan-1 in November 2003.
Source
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

And responded to the argument of spending money on space program; in that instead of wasting money to give fish to the needy, it is about teaching people to catch fish that will serve lifetime need.

Thats a really good and pithy way of putting the argument against the Jholawalas. I am sure Arun Ji the trust BRF reposed in you was adequately addressed in that. I'll keep that quote handy for use in other forums if you don't mind.. :mrgreen:

And i do see you have been doing a fab job here on BRF educating the younger and less informed people on many aspects of technology, Defense or otherwise. My regards for that, and some of your posted articles are really good quality stuff. I've learnt and educated some folks on them. But keep that a secret.. :wink:
JaiS
Forum Moderator

Post by JaiS »

Congratulations India. :)
babbupandey
BRFite

Post by babbupandey »

Just to add to the argument

For those "jholawalas" who are crying over phrases such as "money spent" and "feed the poor". USD 86 million is by any standards NOT enough to alleviate the poverty levels in India. Surely government has spent much more (hint: try looking at budget this year, there was talk of loan waiver to the tune 60,000 crore rupees).

Another cliched phrase is the "chest thumping measure" - right sir, after so many successful launches we will thump our chest. But here is the so called "hidden" deal - by successfully sending a moon mission, ISRO has proved its credentials beyond doubt, I guess there are countries already lining up outside ISRO for launching their satellites. This is called marketing at it's best and my dear "feed the poor" banner-raisers, it will recover the money spent in no time, then we will certainly "feed the poor"!
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

by successfully sending a moon mission, ISRO has proved its credentials beyond doubt,
And THAT, is the reason for their anguish. Recall that terrible week when the GSLV and the Agni-3 both failed? The same folk were wailing about incompetent ISRO, DRDO etc.

There was a sustained campaign against the DRDO. However the missile interceptor tests put a spoke in that wheel. Those who have found a ready market for their drivel equating Indian and Pakistani missile programmes suddenly had to deal with a capability that is clearly very advanced. Everyone knows how difficult missile interception is. Similarly, those who try to club the Indian space programme with that of Brazil or other such states now have to deal with a lunar orbiter.

Those with a vested interest in selling a particular image of India now have to work ten times as hard for their NGO grant money...
Rishirishi
BRFite

Post by Rishirishi »

The issue has got HUGE covrage woldwide. Practically all newschannels have shown in on prime time. There has also been an extensive newspaper covrage.

People take note of such things. Definately it will help in improvening the image of the country. The country's image is very important when Indian companies try to sell their stuff abroad (high tech stuff).

The media covrage alone is probalby worth 5 times the cost of the launch.

Other benefits include building up scientific knowledge and infrastructure.

Money well spent, of you ask me.
VikramS
BRFite

Post by VikramS »

Talking about media coverage. I got to know about the launch since it was on the front page of nytimes.com :).
A lot of American channels are providing coverage with discussion oriented towards revitalizing the US Space Program and how Indian and Chinese efforts will help restore funding for NASA.

Congratulations to ISRO and the other scientists who contributed. Was surprised that there was no Russian payload.

BTW why does my post count keep on going down? It used to be in high three digits, but is acting like the stock markets.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Rishirishi: What was the coverage of the event like in Scandinavian local press (I recall you live there) ? Can you provide references and if possible, some translation too ?
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

skganji
BRFite -Trainee

Post by skganji »

This article is printed in Orange County Register newspaper published in Orange Couty, Southern California.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Arun_S wrote:
In the mean time this is the closest I found with Google:

India Launches Unmanned Orbiter to Moon
By SOMINI SENGUPTA
Published: October 21, 2008

NEW DELHI — .. - snip - ..

The spacecraft will not land on the moon, though it is supposed to send a small “impactor” probe to the surface.

The launching of Chandrayaan-1, as the vehicle is called — roughly translated as Moon Craft-1comes about a year after China’s first moon mission.

.. - snip - ...
Several items to note in the above:

1. What is "suppossed to" mean? Chandrayaan will send the MIP or can not. There is no gray area around it, like the aura of mystery which Somini is trying to create.

2. Not sure where the English translation was picked up. From my limited understanding, Chandrayaan means "Moon Vehicle".

Now there are several comparisons about China and Japan, several things to note:

1. The PSLV launch was televised live, how many Chineese launches are televised live?
2. Japan's Kaguya and Change' was launched last year. Beyond the typical mission profile, those missions do lack something big? Can anybody point out what is that?
3. Why did India offer to take NASA payload and why is India offering to take the Russian payload in Chandrayaan-2?

Points 2 and 3 require something to ponder on and are related.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Daedalus wrote:
Arun_S wrote:Full video of the launch (4 Hours length) is available on ISRO website, where all parameters are shown as it progresses. Its beautiful.

I did follow that link but could not get to the video. I there a direct link to the video.
Try Internet Explorer
vavinash
BRFite

Post by vavinash »

Why would china ever dare to do a live broadcast after this :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_EnrVf9u8s
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Arun_S wrote:
Good video.

I thought that the PSOM-XL were jettisoned. Now watching videos to see when it gets jettisoned on a time scale ...
asprinzl
BRFite

Post by asprinzl »

The massive worldwide coverage of this Lunar mission, whether one likes it or not is due to Drudge Report. Most news outlets though would not admit it but they get their feed from Drudge. To increase reader traffic, NYT is also known to "leak" their headlines to Drudge Report. And Drudge Report has been covering this Indian Lunar mission for at least 24 hours before lift off. From there it was just a matter of seconds before CNN, CBS, FOX, NBC and other outlets picked up.
Avram
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

asprinzl wrote:The massive worldwide coverage of this Lunar mission, whether one likes it or not is due to Drudge Report. Most news outlets though would not admit it but they get their feed from Drudge. To increase reader traffic, NYT is also known to "leak" their headlines to Drudge Report. And Drudge Report has been covering this Indian Lunar mission for at least 24 hours before lift off. From there it was just a matter of seconds before CNN, CBS, FOX, NBC and other outlets picked up.
Avram
I think another reason for the interest is that the mission is carrying five instrumentation packages from other countries.

Did the Chinese or Japanese probes carry stuff from other countries? I doubt it and I can see what Arun_S is trying to allude in his post. What I think is being noted in places that matter is the extreme confidence shown by ISRO, first by including the packages from other countries and even paying for them and by making this a wonderful media event.

Way to go!

Here's a nice computer generated photo of how Chandrayaan will look near the moon:

Here's an interesting quote from the site from where the pic is taken:
"The low orbit will give us really high resolution data," says Detlef Koschny, ESA Chandrayaan Project Scientist. The principal mission objective is to map the surface of the Moon in unprecedented detail. At present the maps planetary scientists have show details of some 30-100 m across. Chandrayaan will produce maps with a resolution of between 5 and 10 m across the whole surface of the Moon. "We aim to have this in two years," says Koschny.
I would think that the resolution being talked about will significantly enhance Mankind's knowledge of the Moon. Does the Chinese or Japanese mission have such important objectives?

Link here
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

Last Night Craig Ferguson had the whole bit about space stuff getting offshored to India as well. They have nuclear tech/software and now space. He mumbled something like Indians are soon going to be saying (In Indian accent) "A huge step for mankind". Pretty funny.,
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

The phuker Canadian Globe and Mail did not mention the launch.
vavinash
BRFite

Post by vavinash »

Who cares if phoren media report or not?? As long as it gets full coverage in India I am fine.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Zeetv news anchor said it best that "Those who were sanctioning ISRO are talking of space cooperation with the agency!"
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

two page spread and front pager in TOI today . some good pics of the deep space antenna.
I propose a sinister orb night lighting scheme to make some glossy pix for the news
magazines...something like PSed fake blue lightning in the background helps and some
MIB type people with black vans parked outside.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Chang'e was a much larger satellite - the article below says 2350 kg (Chandrayaan is 1350kg at launch)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chang%27e_1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandrayaan

the goals and instruments seem to be similar. our instruments with open bideshi collab and our
own sat exp could be more compact.

some details on the mini-SAR onboard
http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/in ... 50314.html
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

Oops it seems the link for the pic I posted above has been changed. Can't redo the url. I think the pic is still there at the link.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

ISTRAC takes control
The first few parameters checked were power, battery back-up and temperature. Power is the most crucial as spacecraft movement is based on it and it can receive commands only if power systems are working perfectly.

ISTRAC checked orbit orientation of the spacecraft. At around noon, Chandrayaan-1 was at a perigee of 255km and an apogee of 22,866-km.

Orbiting will be changed to once in 10 days some time in the next two weeks to enable it to slip into lunar orbit. "This is also a move to save fuel. It's best to spend as less fuel as possible while reaching lunar orbit. So orbiting once in 10 days will enable it to get into lunar orbit on the basis of the movement of earth and moon rather than merely its own fuel," ISTRAC officials explained.

All stations receiving signals — Sriharikota, Brunei, Indonesia, Thiruvananthapuram, Port Blair and the Deep Space Network (DSN) at Byalalu near Bangalore — will relay and transmit them to ISTRAC. "While stations are many, the analysis, command and control centre is ISTRAC Peenya.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

SwamyG wrote:Some perspective:
The Chandrayaan mission costs $80 million compared to China's $187 million lunar probe launched last year, and Japan's $480 million Kayuga mission.
www.dw-world.de
:twisted: The factory of the world with its slave labor spent $187mil while the backoffice of the world used its dhimmi media exhaust and got it done in $80m....

what does it say?
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

When the moon mission had a major scare
A "small" fuel spill mishap when the Polar rocket with the Chandrayaan-I spacecraft atop was being fuelled created a near "scare" during the final countdown for the launch of India's maiden unmanned moon mission, ISRO Chief Madhavan Nair said.

This was revealed by Nair who earlier in the day spoke of how space scientists at the Sriharikota spaceport faced an "ordeal" after rains pounded the area and surrounding parts for nearly five days.

"Yesterday, we had a small mishap during filling operation when some of the fuel spilled over from one of the courses of the ground system and this created almost a scare," Nair said.

The ISRO chief also said launch personnel had to clear the "pad" and then carry out repairs before proceeding with the blast-off preparations.

"We had to take a tough decision as to how much of fuel had to be loaded, how much as to be unloaded and number of operations to be carried out simultaneously which we have never done earlier," he said. {Obviously, this was either the second or the fourth stage}

"We lost 10 hours in the countdown yesterday due to inclement weather and almost lost the hope of making the launch. But working against all odds ISRO team has won the game," Nair said. North-East monsoon usually peaks over the eastern coast around this time of the year.

"It was an ordeal and never before we had such horrible weather just ahead of the launch date," he added. {It has been pouring non-stop for the last few days in the east coast adjacent to Sriharikota. While the launch itself would still have happened in rains, obviously preparations would be an ordeal in these heavy rains.}
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Kayuga was probably a wolfpack beast of a satellite: was hurled by their biggest H2-x launcher.

Once near the moon, Kaguya will split into three satellites; a 3-ton main orbiter which will orbit the planet at an altitude of 100km, and the smaller Relay and VRAD Satellites, which will orbit and gather information about the poles.

One of the neatest aspects of the Kaguya mission is its inclusion of a High Definition Television camera to send back movies of the Earth from the Moon. This means that we will be able to see the Earth-rise from the Moon's horizon!
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

rsingh wrote: Then they invited another constipat shadow Tory minister who argued that UK has to cut aid to India because it is being misused. :(( :(( :(( .
What blo*dy aid ?
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Bylalu tunes in to moon mission
At 1.20 p.m., exactly seven hours after the launch of Chandrayaan 1 from Sriharikota, the giant saucer-shaped antennae, standing out conspicuously amid the stark landscape of Byalalu village near Bangalore, began to rotate gently as it picked up the first signals from the lunar spacecraft.

On a rainy Wednesday afternoon the mood at the Indian Deep Space Network (IDSN) here was celebratory as scientists received data from the parabolic antennae indicating that Chandrayaan I was in good health and on track. The 20 space scientists at the IDSN who had kept awake through Tuesday night in preparation for this moment applauded and shook hands as the first signal flickered on the telemetry monitors. “Everything worked out just perfectly and we received the data exactly as scheduled,” said L. Srinivasan, General Manager of ISRO’s Bangalore Telemetry, Tracking and Command Facility.Not far, a much larger group of scientists at the mission’s nerve centre, ISTRAC (ISRO’s Telemetry, Tracking and Command Network), analysed the telemetric data from Byalalu sent through a communication link.

“For the next four or five days, Chandrayaan will be tracked by several small antennae around the world. After this period, when the satellite crosses one lakh kilometres, only three ground stations with large antennae will track it: those at Byalalu, Maryland and Canberra,” said Mr. Srinivasan.

The Byalalu centre will be one of only two ground stations by the time the payload data from the 11 experiments on board comes in, the other one being Maryland. “It will only be after November 15 that Chandrayaan will be placed in the final polar orbit of the moon, 100 km away from the lunar surface. This is when data from the scientific experiments will start coming in,” said Mr. Srinivasan.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Singha wrote:Kayuga was probably a wolfpack beast of a satellite: was hurled by their biggest H2-x launcher.

Once near the moon, Kaguya will split into three satellites; a 3-ton main orbiter which will orbit the planet at an altitude of 100km, and the smaller Relay and VRAD Satellites, which will orbit and gather information about the poles.

One of the neatest aspects of the Kaguya mission is its inclusion of a High Definition Television camera to send back movies of the Earth from the Moon. This means that we will be able to see the Earth-rise from the Moon's horizon!
One of the satellite is RSTAR which is actually a relay satellite that relays transmission from Earth to Selene [or Kayuga]. The other satellite measures the gravitational field. The RSTAR satellite was put in place since Japan does not have the DSN like India does, that is another difference between Change' and Chandrayaan.

As much as what goes on in the space, the network on the ground matters! IDSN can track satellites as far as Mars and it will take time to test it and get familiarized with it.

For short testing IDSN was used to track some ESA space probes as well and that experience is valuable, which was gained because ISRO cooperated and provided "free ride" to ESA experiments. Same with NASA.

The other value of IDSN is that it can be "rented" out for tracking other countries space probes, namely NASA, ESA, JAXA and Russian and why not Chinese as well! That will be valuable experience when you send your probe to Mars and have to wait for 8 minutes or so for it your signal to reach there and 8 minutes or so for the signal from there to arrive!

Not to undermine JAXA, Hi Def cameras are good but they do not fill in the data provided by mini-SAR and a complete 3D stereo mapping of Moon's surface, particularly on the far side of moon which is more interesting ...