Chandrayan-1 moon mission

sumishi
BRFite

Re: Chandrayan-1 mission launched succesfully

Post by sumishi »

Rahul M wrote: ...
as an aside, sumishi, singha ji is wasted in it-vity stuff, he has a way with words that would make most envious. check the scenarios archive if you haven't done so already.
ramana wrote: ...
Sumishi, Off-course its his own. GD doesnt copy others.
Singha / GD / my Tagore, do forgive me for any assumptive transgression on my part. :oops: My salutation stands lock, stock and barrel, and I hope some of you rubs off on me! :) :)
sumishi
BRFite

Post by sumishi »

ISRO Press Release: Indian Tricolour Placed on the Moon on Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru’s Birthday:
http://www.isro.org/pressrelease/Nov14_2008.htm
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Any videos yet?

I am getting so tired of congratulating ISRO and India now. The problem is now I am going to take ISRO for granted and expect continued stellar performances. Moreover ISRO should take the blame on its shoulders for galvanizing so many people in the media and capturing the imagination of countless. What audacity! I like it much onlee. :mrgreen:

Go ISRO!!!
munna
BRFite
Location: Pee Arr Eff's resident Constitution Compliance Strategist (Phd, with upper hand)

Post by munna »

May god bless my fellow countrymen and jingos with thousand lungi dance occasions such a this one! ISRO has added another 12 inches to every Indian's stature today.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

sumishi wrote:ISRO Press Release: Indian Tricolour Placed on the Moon on Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru’s Birthday:
http://www.isro.org/pressrelease/Nov14_2008.htm

IDSN antennas have also received the images and scientific information gathered by TMC, RADOM, and more recently, by MIP.

so hang on!

BTW, there is a crash..
Finally, the probe had a hard landing on the lunar surface that terminated its functioning.
a planned termination has happened.
Last edited by SaiK on 14 Nov 2008 23:10, edited 1 time in total.
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

Congratulations ISRO.

From the ISRO press release,
MIP’s 25 minute journey to the lunar surface began with its separation from Chandrayaan-1 spacecraft at 20:06 hrs (8:06 pm) IST. This was followed by a series of automatic operations that began with the firing of its spin up rockets after achieving a safe distance of separation from Chandrayaan-1. Later, the probe slowed down with the firing of its retro rocket and started its rapid descent towards the moon’s surface. Information from the its instruments was radioed to Chandrayaan-1 by MIP. The spacecraft recorded this in its onboard memory for later readout. Finally, the probe had a hard landing on the lunar surface that terminated its functioning.
sumishi
BRFite

Post by sumishi »

clay wrote:...
While watching NDTV saw a news scroll mention that the MIP from the CY-1 is the first moon probe to land on a lunar pole. How significant is this? Does it require any higher degree of navigation or precision? I understand it was done to check for any ice/water at the moon's pole.
As regards significance, that region (the Shackleton crater at the South Pole} is being looked at by the space powers as the ideal site for the first lunar base, not the least because of the "bearable" temperature in that area. The Malapert mountain, about 120 km from Shackleton, which has a direct view of the crater, is an ideal location for setting up a permanent communication link with the earth as it is always visible from here. Also, there is a strong possibility for the presence of water at the poles.
sumishi
BRFite

Post by sumishi »

SaiK wrote:its getting near to change the title of this thread to "Mission Chandrayan-1".
I second that !! It will also widen the scope of discussion "officially" :)
ashish raval
BRFite

Post by ashish raval »

Congratulations to great guns at ISRO, they have made nation proud. :)
rachel
BRFite

Post by rachel »

Talk about a perfect mission.. every detail gone according to plan. All that remains is to switch on the remaining nine instruments on the probe, and start collecting data!

And all this on the very first try!

The word 'Proud' does not seem enough to express the feelings.
vdutta
BRFite

Post by vdutta »

Finally ISRO updated their site..

Indian Tricolour Placed on the Moon
on Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru’s Birthday

November 14, 2008
In a historic event, the Indian space programme achieved a unique feat today (November 14, 2008) with the placing of Indian tricolour on the Moon’s surface on Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru’s birthday.
The Indian flag was painted on the sides of Moon Impact Probe (MIP), one of the 11 payloads of Chandrayaan-1 spacecraft, that successfully hit the lunar surface today at 20:31 hrs (8:31 pm) IST. This is the first Indian built object to reach the surface of the moon. The point of MIP’s impact was near the Moon’s South Polar Region. It may be recalled that the modern Indian space programme was initiated in 1962 when Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru was the Prime Minister of India.

Weighing 34 kg at the time of its launch onboard Chandrayaan-1, the box shaped MIP carried three instruments – a video imaging system, a radar altimeter and a mass spectrometer. The video imaging system was intended to take the pictures of the moon’s surface as MIP approached it. The radar altimeter was included to measure the rate of descent of the probe to the lunar surface. Such instruments are necessary for future lunar soft landing missions. And, the mass spectrometer was for studying the extremely thin lunar atmosphere.

MIP’s 25 minute journey to the lunar surface began with its separation from Chandrayaan-1 spacecraft at 20:06 hrs (8:06 pm) IST. This was followed by a series of automatic operations that began with the firing of its spin up rockets after achieving a safe distance of separation from Chandrayaan-1. Later, the probe slowed down with the firing of its retro rocket and started its rapid descent towards the moon’s surface. Information from the its instruments was radioed to Chandrayaan-1 by MIP. The spacecraft recorded this in its onboard memory for later readout. Finally, the probe had a hard landing on the lunar surface that terminated its functioning.

Thus, India’s very first attempt to send a probe to the moon’s surface from its spacecraft orbiting the moon has been successfully concluded.

With the switching ON of two of Chandrayaan-1’s payloads – Terrain Mapping Camera (TMC) and Radiation Dose Monitor (RADOM) – on its journey to moon and with MIP’s successful impact on the lunar surface today, it is planned to switch ON and test the remaining eight payloads of the spacecraft in the coming few days.

It may be recalled that Chandrayaan-1 was successfully launched by PSLV-C11 on October 22, 2008 from India’s spaceport at Satish Dhawan Space Centre SHAR, Sriharikota into its intended initial elliptical orbit around the Earth. Following this, the spacecraft’s orbit was raised in steps and it was made to pass near the moon by repeatedly firing its 440 Newton liquid engine. After Chandrayaan-1’s entry into its planned lunar orbit on November 8, 2008, the orbital height was reduced in steps to its intended operational altitude of 100 km from the lunar surface.

Since its launch, the health and orbit of Chandrayaan-1 is being continuously monitored from the Spacecraft Control Centre of ISRO’s Telemetry, Tracking and Command Network (ISTRAC) at Bangalore with critical support from antennas of Indian Deep Space Network (IDSN) at Byalalu. IDSN antennas have also received the images and scientific information gathered by TMC, RADOM, and more recently, by MIP.
a_kumar
BRFite

Post by a_kumar »

Incredible news!! Great going ISRO.

We just went past the first milestone on road to Destination EMM.
clay
BRFite -Trainee

Post by clay »

sumishi wrote:
clay wrote:...
While watching NDTV saw a news scroll mention that the MIP from the CY-1 is the first moon probe to land on a lunar pole. How significant is this? Does it require any higher degree of navigation or precision? I understand it was done to check for any ice/water at the moon's pole.
As regards significance, that region (the Shackleton crater at the South Pole} is being looked at by the space powers as the ideal site for the first lunar base, not the least because of the "bearable" temperature in that area. The Malapert mountain, about 120 km from Shackleton, which has a direct view of the crater, is an ideal location for setting up a permanent communication link with the earth as it is always visible from here. Also, there is a strong possibility for the presence of water at the poles.
Appreciate the info. Thanks. I wonder if a lunar base is likely within the next 15-20 years ?

Regds, Clay
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

The Peacock has landed... and with grace!

As per the news channels. it landed 2 km away from the Shackleton crater...
a indian origin spokesman of JPL said that M3 will be activated on 19th & its heating mechanism has already been activated...there had been over-heating, but it was within limits.

BTW, IBN reporter asked Dr. Madhavan Nair - so now ISRO will be sending satellite to Sun!
Dr Nair had to correct her, that it is not going to the sun, but a sat to study the sun!
Only DDM can send a sat & make it impact on to the Sun!
(the sat will be called Aditya. A jolly good name to have, much appreciated! :D )

Also reported in the news that the MIP had a sanskrit shloka written on it.. anybody knows what it reads?
BTW, i just came across this site with simple googling, it has MIP's pics of the moon...not sure if it is correct! Its also has the shloka mentioned - "Great things can be achieved by putting small things togather. A rope made of grass can be used to tie down a massive elephant"
http://blogmantra.org/
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

I think the sloka at the start of this doc is more likely.
http://www.isro.org/chandrayaan/resourc ... ooklet.pdf
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

:x
parsed urls, not working !
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

Last edited by harbans on 15 Nov 2008 00:46, edited 1 time in total.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

yes, thanks ! fantastic !
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

awesome!.. I feel moon!
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Congratulations to ISRO.

From here on, when viewed by any Indian the moon will never be the same again. ISRO has demonstrated a sense of occasion by choosing Childrens day to create this moment which is indelible.

Today an ancient civilisation has created an important marker in the infinite and we mark time as we march forward.
Last edited by rahulm on 15 Nov 2008 01:49, edited 1 time in total.
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

Blogs have already started feeding off this image..check the comments below too!

http://www.universetoday.com/2008/11/14 ... ment-40466

:mrgreen:
Abhijit N
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Abhijit N »

The shadow in this image

http://www.isro.org/pslv-c11/photos/ima ... S_2936.bmp

is because of a nearby mountain range I guess or is the MIP entering the Lunar night ?...though the shadow fades out towards the right
Last edited by Abhijit N on 15 Nov 2008 01:08, edited 1 time in total.
enqyoob
BRF Oldie

Post by enqyoob »

Wow! What I call "Investigative Reporting of the Third Kind"

DDM special: From
From Harmeet Shah Singh
CNN

.. Space official Shiv Kumar said the 34-kilogram probe hit the moon surface traveling at 1.6 kilometers per second, which is a speed of 5,760 kilometers per hour (3,579 mph).

Kumar said the probe transmitted sufficient signals to the mother craft before landing, but no more were expected after the impact. :eek:

A news release from the Indian Space Research Organization said, "The probe had a hard landing on the lunar surface that terminated its functioning."
CLOSE DOWN ISRO! FIRE DRDO!
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

I think it is the former. the sunlight is coming from NE as evident from the small craters.
Abhijit N
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Abhijit N »

Just a foolish question...I may have got my orientation wrong...but how do you say the light is from the NE...is the craft orbiting from East to West...so MIP entered at same angle ?

or is the image flipped - "as received"
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

NE wrt the pic. normal geography practice, up-->north.
sorry if I wasn't clear.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

and the OTHER picture is kind of having the light source/shadow from SW direction. sope, MIP fall was with rolls.. and they were controlled with those little thrusters.
Last edited by SaiK on 15 Nov 2008 01:20, edited 1 time in total.
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

http://isro.org/pslv-c11/photos/moon_images.htm

Hope they can say how close was the MIP for each of these two pics?

A sequence of pictures, could give us a better story line of the fall!.
vdutta
BRFite

Post by vdutta »

Wow that looks great. another new chapter in the space books.

it looks like that they zoomed. does anyone know the scale of those pics.?

i uploaded the pics on photobucket as they load slowly from isro's site. link below
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa17 ... S_2904.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa17 ... S_2936.jpg
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

Most splendid 8)

Now for some takleef generation - somewhere in Tsinhua Univ, an electron microscope must be furiously scanning a granite stone, while the photoshop dept waits anxiously to put in the craters on the scan photo. Expect panda to show craters that their Chandi (as in Malayalam word) probe discovered with fanfare as they did day before yesterday. A full one year after the Haier-craft went up. Fashionably slow download times, totally retro-chic of 90s era.

edit: whoops, wrong url tag
Last edited by hnair on 15 Nov 2008 01:55, edited 1 time in total.
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

"Our instrument SARA will be switched on for the first time on 7 December 2008," says Professor Stas Barabash, Swedish Institute of Space Physics (IRF) in Kiruna.

SARA (Sub-Kev Reflection Atom Analyzer) is one of 11 instruments from India, Europe and USA on board Chandrayaan. SARA will study how the space environment interacts with the Moon. The instrument was developed jointly by IRF and the Space Physics Laboratory of Vikram Sarabhai Space Center (SPL-VSSC), Thiruvananthapuram, India, with contributions from the University of Bern, Switzerland, and the Institute of Space and Astronautical Science of the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA), Sagamihara, Japan. The SARA experiment is the first collaborative project between IRF in Kiruna and India.
http://www.newsdesk.se/view/pressreleas ... oon-253896

So rest of equipment will be switched on at least till Dec 7th.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

I am sure we would see the crash site with C1's 5mtr resolution soon., and perhaps the tri-color as well.

==

PS:
this paki has a different view.

http://www.thenews.com.pk/updates.asp?id=60112
:twisted: India’s Chandrayaan-I lands on moon
:rotfl:
shaardula
BRF Oldie

Post by shaardula »

congratulations.

very inspirational.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

SaiK wrote:I am sure we would see the crash site with C1's 5mtr resolution soon., and perhaps the tri-color as well.
==
PS:
this paki has a different view.
http://www.thenews.com.pk/updates.asp?id=60112
:twisted: India’s Chandrayaan-I lands on moon
:rotfl:
Okay, fess up. Which one of you is this guy ?
India's moon mission and Pakistan's goon mission
In what could be construed as a response to India's efforts to expand its space exploration horizon, Pakistan has announced its plans for space research. Pakistan wants to become the first country to put a terrorist in orbit.

"Our aim is to become the first country to put a terrorist in orbit by 2040. We are working closely with China, which has copied technology from Russia and USA for this goal," he said. When asked as to why Pakistan wanted to send a terrorist to space, he said "we have so far exported terrorists to India, USA, UK, Afghanistan, China and the list is endless. Today we have a terrorist in almost all major nations. Now is the time to look beyond earth".

The branding team in ISI is right now working on naming an organization to which these terrorists will be affiliated to. I guess the name they have frozen on is the Moonian Mujaheedeen.

The terrorists will also release threatening videos before touching down. "Some of these guys are also learning how to issue threats in sign language as the audio quality may not be up to the mark," the SUPARCO insider claimed.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

vdutta wrote:Wow that looks great. another new chapter in the space books.

it looks like that they zoomed. does anyone know the scale of those pics.?

i uploaded the pics on photobucket as they load slowly from isro's site. link below
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa17 ... S_2904.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa17 ... S_2936.jpg
vdutta-saar

Optical zoom maybe. But ISRO's site says that the images have been reproduced exactly as received.
Praveen
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Praveen »

Abhijit N wrote:The shadow in this image

http://www.isro.org/pslv-c11/photos/ima ... S_2936.bmp

is because of a nearby mountain range I guess or is the MIP entering the Lunar night ?...though the shadow fades out towards the right
It looks more like a crater than a mountain. As you go from the right most corner to the left diagonally, it's clear that the altitude is increasing. Maybe its the Shackleton crater that the MIP was supposed to crash at.
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

Scientist calls for co-op between Asian space powers

BEIJING—A Chinese scientist on Wednesday called for moon probe program experts in China, India and Japan to step up cooperation to "deepen mankind's understanding of the moon."
Ouyang Ziyuan, chief scientist for China's moon exploration program, said the three countries shared goals on moon probe while each had its advantages.
Taking a full map of the moon's surface, detecting minerals and studying the space environment were the common goals, he said.
Each country had its unparalleled technological competitiveness, and he expected more cooperation and hoped to see more contributions made by the scientists in the three Asian countries.
Ouyang's comments came only hours after Chinese scientists revealed the country's first full map of the moon's surface, which was hailed as the most complete image of the moon surface yet published.
The picture was released more than a year after the launch of China's first lunar probe, Chang'e-1.
An official also announced on Wednesday that China would launch a second lunar probe, Chang'e-2, before 2012, as part of its three-stage moon mission.
The eventual goal is to bring lunar soil and stone samples back to earth for study in about 2017.
"Chang'e" is named after a legendary Chinese moon goddess.
In 1990, following the Soviet Union and the United States, Japan became the third country to orbit the moon after sending the Hiten spacecraft. India launched an unmanned lunar orbiter last month.

—Xinhua
http://dailymailnews.com/200811/14/news ... tch06.html

Considering the flop that Chang'e is plus the lousy communication and remote sensing satellites the Chinese have, this is more likely to deepen China's understanding on many issues than Mankinds. Yes and the Nigerian Communication satellite that China built and launched is missing in orbit! :shock:

Score..Chang'e 1 year: Released 1 moon picture. (Controversial, possible photoshopped copy of an earlier Apollo one); CY-1: 1 day in 100km orbit..2 pics released within 3 hours of MIP impact. Total: 3 Moon pics.

Go ISRO GO! :mrgreen: