Chandrayan-1 moon mission

harbans
BRF Oldie

Re: Chandrayan-1 mission launched succesfully

Post by harbans »

How are these videos compared to videos and images from China and Japan

Picture from Chang e:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Ch ... tnG=Search

AFAIK this was the only pic that was revealed bythe Chinese. It also happened to be identical to one NASA photograph and there was some controversy of it being fake. Chinese denied it, but did not reveal any other photographs till date.

Japan probe Kaguya has some decent HDTV photographs, but it's lower resolution than CY 1.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... image&cd=1

On this page you'll find a HDTV video (you tube) of Kaguya.

Chandryaan is way clearer than Kaguya's HDTV. See it for yourself.

PS: Kaguya and Chang e are operating at 200 km alt with cameras having lower resolution than CY1. CY 1 pics are way above in quality than anything else available as of now.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

Here is an idea which will need considerable work. If ISRO manages to map all the craters and classify them by size and depth, then some smart abdul doing his PhD can come up with probable risk metrics for such impacts to earth...sort of like a cross section for such deadly impacts after filtering out the smaller hits which will not make it through the earth's atmosphere. This will be quite a practical thing to do. If somehow one can also Carbon date the crater remains then even a time line probability can be made for such events. Then even future detailed missions can be sold and justified as having relevance to public beyond just technology demonstration. :)
sumishi
BRFite

Post by sumishi »

Rahul M wrote:
sumishi wrote: I finally got it downloaded (about 20 MB). :)
and ?
upload it here if you want some balance in the punya piggybank. :)
Will do now. Will get back on success. :)
sumishi
BRFite

Post by sumishi »

prashanth wrote:
sumishi wrote: I finally got it downloaded (about 20 MB). :)
Tell us how please.
The upload is in progress to the storage link that Rahul M provided.

It was a peculiar download experience. I have Orbit downloader installed, which has a feature "Get it" as plugins to the browsers, which supposedly works in the background, if activated, while vids like these stream to the browser. Not only did it download in fits and starts, but seems that I had to replay the stream time and again to crank the download engine from time to time.

33% done as of now. :)
sumishi
BRFite

Post by sumishi »

sumishi wrote: The upload is in progress to the storage link that Rahul M provided.

It was a peculiar download experience. I have Orbit downloader installed, which has a feature "Get it" as plugins to the browsers, which supposedly works in the background, if activated, while vids like these stream to the browser. Not only did it download in fits and starts, but seems that I had to replay the stream time and again to crank the download engine from time to time.

33% done as of now. :)
Okay, nice guys (only :P), here's the link to the vid: http://ifile.it/xjl7m6k
SSSalvi
BRFite

Post by SSSalvi »

harbans wrote:India's first Moon Mission and the Rediscovery of ancient ET artifacts.. :)

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/81702

Meanwhile any idea when they will release more pics and the MIP video. They said they would release it today.

I got the Toricelli C (Northwest of the Toricelli crater) pic coinciding with the Equator Picture that ISRO released. However due to the much higher resolution that CY is mapping could not coincide the Moretus crater pic of NASA with what ISRO has put up. IF anyone has any info on that please do put it up.

Meanwhile i wish ISRO would give a little more details Long/ Lat etc of the pics they post. Wish they don't do what JAXA and the Chinese have done. I already appreciate the fact that ISRO appears much more open and transparent and wih they continue to be so.
The Torr C pic from CY covers a very small area out of the referance US pic. Also the lighting conditions are different and above all ( and most importantly ) we don't know the directions
in ISRO pic because the images are direct from the camera without any corrections ( RAW images ) acquired by a tumbling space probe.

Same is the case with video of TMC. It is a QLD ( Quick Look Display ) as is acquired by the craft with only ( probably ) rotation correction because the image appears to be slightly trapezoidal. One can't have a constant scale factor throughout the image. It will be geometrically distorted and of course without any radiometric ( intensity/brightness ) corrections. You can't expect LAT/LONG details on such a image.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

sumishi, thanks a lot !
the video is excellent !
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

harbans wrote:How are these videos compared to videos and images from **.. apan
here is a good one for you from jpn... kind of the camera is fading into night moon sky shot. good one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHAMHQbvi0E
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

Here is the youtube video of ISRO's release of the video made by Chandrayaan's terrain mapping camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlAF45eOT1Y

I am volunteering for the manned mission :D

Edit: cured the jaundice
Last edited by Anujan on 18 Nov 2008 00:20, edited 1 time in total.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

anyone care to explain the jaundiced youtube video? the one on isro.org was very nice.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

SaiK wrote:
harbans wrote:How are these videos compared to videos and images from **.. apan
here is a good one for you from jpn... kind of the camera is fading into night moon sky shot. good one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S4GghwAoYw

Can the TMC get a shot of the earth as well as the moon in foreground as the JAXA
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Raja Bose wrote:wonderphool onlee to have my family name assigned to crater! :mrgreen:

Satyen Bose was my grandfather's teacher and my mother still remembers meeting him as a kid, as being a man with a very deep gravelly voice and serious demeanor.

I think ISRO should name a feature (which allows non-deceased names) after Kalam .....not only for his selfless contributions to India as a scientist but also as a visionary, a man with principles and a human being.
Speaking about suitable names ... Crater Bose on Moon is named after Jagdish C. Bose, so one can still have one more crater named after SN Bose.

Another notable names missing are Ramanujan (while other similar great mathematician like Able, Galois, Euler are there), Bhaskara, Aryabhatta (while we do have Euclid / Pythagoras and similar other names) (following the tradition - virtually all larger craters on the moon are named after scientist/mathematician/astronomers/)

One funny thing that there is small crater named 'osama' (after some Japanese name ) ... but that may give our western neighbor to say that they also have a crater of their herrow.. :(
Last edited by Amber G. on 18 Nov 2008 03:03, edited 1 time in total.
Arya Sumantra
BRFite

Post by Arya Sumantra »

raghunath wrote:Movie of images taken by TMC of Chandrayan-1 on ISRO website

http://isro.org/pslv-c11/videos/tmc.htm
This seems like first 2 minutes excerpt of the 25minute descent of MIP. While the entire 25 minute video would be too long, i was also hoping to see the video of final few minutes leading to the impact and seeing the surface craters grow larger and larger until there is impact and video goes out black. That would have been really impactful (pun intended). Come on ISRO, don't kill our curiosity.
rgsrini
BRFite

Post by rgsrini »

Arya Sumantra,
The images are not from MIP. They are from TMC on the satellite, which will continue to operate for the next 2 years until it runs out of power.

By the way I am not sure of the End-of-life plans for the satellite. Will it also be crash landed into the moon's surface due to gradual degradation of its orbit.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

It depends on how much of fuel still left.. perhaps we could extend the mission, if more fuel is available. It is too early in the game to talk about it.

Yes.. we all are waiting for the 25 min episode!~ and voila! video
Arya Sumantra
BRFite

Post by Arya Sumantra »

Thanks rgsrini.
anaysp
BRFite -Trainee

Post by anaysp »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20081117/wl ... 1117204437

Sadly, both AP and AFP never fail to mention that India is
"behind China" which, given the news report above as well
as the fact that China has not landed an object on the moon
(only around it at a higher orbit) is becoming even more false. :x
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Moonshot fires vision of Indian Google Earth

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/9d630aac-b1ee ... fd18c.html
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Amber G. wrote: Speaking about suitable names ... Crater Bose on Moon is named after Jagdish C. Bose, so one can still have one more crater named after SN Bose.

Another notable names missing are Ramanujan (while other similar great mathematician like Able, Galois, Euler are there), Bhaskara, Aryabhatta (while we do have Euclid / Pythagoras and similar other names) (following the tradition - virtually all larger craters on the moon are named after scientist/mathematician/astronomers/)

One funny thing that there is small crater named 'osama' (after some Japanese name ) ... but that may give our western neighbor to say that they also have a crater of their herrow.. :(
I would have thought SN Bose would have a higher probability of getting a crater named after him. But JC Bose is as eminent a choice as any in the world (perhaps more so given the relative lack of recognition for his contributions in so many fields of science).
sarulan
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sarulan »

Here is the moon flyby wmv videofile uploaded on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTWqBuK70PU

Enjoy
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

From the Space Review magazine. .
India’s Chandrayaan-1 moon mission has not only been a scientific and technological success, but it has been an international political winner. By incorporating instruments from Europe and the US as well as their own ones, and doing so in an open way, the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has proven itself to be, without question, one of the world’s top space agencies.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

so ways are being suggested to accomodate the camel inside the tent. good.
John Snow
BRFite

Post by John Snow »

I want one to be named after Meghnad Shah ( he was as good as Homi Bhaba), Homi Bhaba, Raman, M Visweswariah, KL Rao etc. eminent Indians.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Singha wrote:so ways are being suggested to accomodate the camel inside the tent. good.
Yes. I have posted the full article in the Space thread.
prashanth
BRFite

Post by prashanth »

sumishi wrote:
Okay, nice guys (only :P), here's the link to the vid: http://ifile.it/xjl7m6k
Thanks a lot sumishi .Excellent video. Plays best in wmplayer.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

John Snow wrote:I want one to be named after Meghnad Shah ( he was as good as Homi Bhaba), Homi Bhaba, Raman, M Visweswariah, KL Rao etc. eminent Indians.
hmm..funny you should mention Saha's name. He had an even stronger link to my grandfather (he was his PhD advisor!...in fact when Meghnad Saha suddenly passed away...my grandfather refused to submit his dissertation out of respect and in fact never got his PhD though people who knew about the incident would call him Dr.Mitra anyways :mrgreen: )

Sorry to go OT! I take 1300 lashes.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

RB -
hmm..funny you should mention Saha's name. He had an even stronger link to my grandfather (he was his PhD advisor!...in fact when Meghnad Saha suddenly passed away...my grandfather refused to submit his dissertation out of respect and in fact never got his PhD though people who knew about the incident would call him Dr.Mitra

You may have noticed from previous message ..There is a 100km crater named Saha (After Megnad N - astrophysics) pretty close to equator (Moon's)..and also another one named Mitra :)
(After Sisir Kumar Mitra)
No doubt features would be named as such. Traditionally moon craters are/were named after astronomers (aka scientists) and there are already craters/features named: Raman, Mitra, Saha, Sarabhai, Bhaba (this is a smaller crater at the rim of the crater called 'Bose' :) ) , as well as names from epics like Sita, Krishna etc.. and also astronauts like Chawla ((All of these are on the moon)
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

LOL after a gadzillion downloads from ISRO website and youtube, it is still "exclusive" :D
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

http://www.tuftsdaily.com/1.906260
The aim of the mission is to map the surface of the moon in its entirety — a task that has not yet been attempted. Though this investment helped India join the ranks of previous lunar explorers (NASA, the European Space Agency, Japan and China), it is considered a rather expensive endeavor, costing almost $4 billion. In terms of social impact, however, it certainly promises to be a large leap forward.

Although applause for the mission was nearly unanimous, there has been a smattering of disapproving grunts that criticize India’s heavy investment in a non-utilitarian program. Opponents question how India, a Third World country, can afford to spend so much money on something as seemingly trivial as probing the surface of the moon. Given that 25 percent of its population lives under the national poverty line, could India have better spent the $4 billion on food aid?
Where do some of these guys get their 'facts' from? :mrgreen:
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

Interesting article here:

http://www.planetary.org/blog/article/00001743/
This is a very low-resolution movie made from data from Chandrayaan-1's high-resolution camera as it traveled in its 100-kilometer orbit over the south polar region of the Moon
Is it a low resolution or high resolution photograph?
Avid
BRFite

Post by Avid »

harbans wrote:http://www.tuftsdaily.com/1.906260
The aim of the mission is to map the surface of the moon in its entirety — a task that has not yet been attempted. Though this investment helped India join the ranks of previous lunar explorers (NASA, the European Space Agency, Japan and China), it is considered a rather expensive endeavor, costing almost $4 billion. In terms of social impact, however, it certainly promises to be a large leap forward.

Although applause for the mission was nearly unanimous, there has been a smattering of disapproving grunts that criticize India’s heavy investment in a non-utilitarian program. Opponents question how India, a Third World country, can afford to spend so much money on something as seemingly trivial as probing the surface of the moon. Given that 25 percent of its population lives under the national poverty line, could India have better spent the $4 billion on food aid?
Where do some of these guys get their 'facts' from? :mrgreen:
And he is a Ph.D. student. Thought they would know better to separate fact from fiction.

I posted this as a comment:
Ranjith - beyond the fact that the number is obviously wrong ($4 billion stated vs. $80 million to be accurate); one major element - ISRO's annual budget is less than Tuft University's!

Can you claim to have had as much social, economic, and scientific impact on the population as ISRO has?

Clue: To begin assessing the impact of ISRO, you may want to begin with looking back and accounting for all the communication satellites, distance education programs, remote sensing satellites for assisting natural resource management and assisting the farmer, ... and shall we go on? I would expect a Ph.D. student to do better research before writing articles. At the very least, question numbers that seem wildly inaccurate ($4 billion - geez!).

It is absolutely imperative that a correction be published in Tuf's Daily (presuming journalistic integrity exists)
Perhaps more folks should demand that the correction be printed prominently, and/or an apology from the writer for not doing his homework.
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

^^ Good reply! I did too leave a note for correction today. However if you notice he realized on 13th itself that his data is incorrect. He has'nt bothered to correct and update what he wrote. So much for integrity and honesty.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

India on the ISS: it starts with a rack by Taylor Dinerman: The Space Review
As the International Space Station (ISS) nears completion, the partnership that built it needs to expand. It is not just a question of new resources, though of course spreading the expense amongst a wider number of partners would lead to small reductions in the operating costs paid for by the current partners. There are, however, two other, more important reasons: ideas and politics.

The current partners—the US, Russia, ESA, Canada, and Japan—may still be engaged in finding ways to use the “World Class Laboratory” they have built, but they are still doing so within the limits and using the procedures they have established over many years. It has been hard just to build the station, and this effort has distracted the leaders of these government space agencies from preparing to utilize the facility to the fullest extent possible.

It has been natural for those involved in the project to concentrate on the task at hand and not to get distracted by plans and preparations that can only bear fruit if the job is completed. Now, however, the time has come to begin to change the focus and to seek ways to get the maximum return on the investment that has been made. The US Congress’s decision to designate the ISS as a national laboratory is a step in this direction.

The partnership now needs new sources of ideas and new people who will bring a new perspective to the program. Obviously China and India are the first candidates for membership. China seems to be holding its cards close to its vest, and the continuing lack of real transparency in their program will make it hard for them to join up any time soon. India, on the other hand, has opened itself to international cooperation and has proven itself a reliable and talented partner.

India’s Chandrayaan-1 moon mission has not only been a scientific and technological success, but it has been an international political winner. By incorporating instruments from Europe and the US as well as their own ones, and doing so in an open way, the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has proven itself to be, without question, one of the world’s top space agencies.

ISRO wants to follow up this mission with another Moon mission and then a Mars mission. More to the point, ISRO has begun studying a two-person capsule that could put India in the same league with Russia, the US, and China: nations that are able to launch humans into orbit. For the moment, the only reasonable destination for such a spacecraft is the ISS.

India has not only proved itself with Chandrayaan, it has also made a critically important step towards a truly civil space program, by setting up a military space command. This separation puts India well within international norms and indicates that the government in New Dehli wants to make it fairly easy for ISRO to join international space projects, such as the ISS. By itself, this will not solve the problems with the transfer of sensitive dual-use technology, but it shows that India is ready to take those concerns into consideration. Of course, life would be easier for everyone if the US were able to seriously reform export control regulations.

One obstacle to India’s joining the ISS is lack of money. This is what killed Brazil’s membership and preliminary talks with India should be careful to insure that ISRO’s commitments are compatible with India’s overall budgetary policy. It spite of its limited funds, ISRO has already taken steps along the path to developing its own system for manned spaceflight.

In January 2007 they launched their Space Capsule Recovery Experiment on one of their Polar Satellite Launch Vehicles (PSLV). The experiment stayed in orbit for 12 days and was recovered by the Indian Coast Guard and Indian Navy in the Bay of Bengal. Among other things this showed that ISRO has the capability to design and build workable ablative heat shields that could be used for manned capsules. No one really knows how long it will take them to build their new capsule, but it will be interesting to watch the process they use to human-rate the Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV) they plan to use.
India has earned the right to be considered a full-fledged spacefaring nation. Inviting them to be a full partner on the ISS will simply make clear what everyone in the space industry already knows.

What makes sense for the ISS partnership in the short term is to offer India full control of an experimental rack. The agreement with Japan stipulates that a number of the racks in the Kibo module will be controlled by NASA. Since the US has been cutting back on some of the science work it once planned to do on the ISS, it would be logical to offer this space to India, free of charge. ISRO could then take charge of outfitting the rack with experiments devised by Indian scientists.

At some point India could begin to fly its own astronauts to the station, either on one of the last Shuttle flights or with the Russians. They have not had anyone in orbit since Rakesh Sharma flew to the Salyut 7 station in 1984. It’s about time that an Indian citizen returned to space.

India has earned the right to be considered a full-fledged spacefaring nation. Inviting them to be a full partner on the ISS will simply make clear what everyone in the space industry already knows. It would also be a nice way for President Obama to begin his administration’s relationship with the world’s most populous democracy.

Taylor Dinerman is an author and journalist based in New York City.
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

http://www.turkishweekly.net/news.php?id=61374
One is supposed to cheerfully welcome any scientific or technological advancement achieved by a close or remote nation, especially if this advancement has nothing to do with an aggressive military project or a hegemonic scheme. Yet, I must admit that I was overtaken by frustration and envy when the news agencies circulated the story of the Indian probe. The India Space Research Organization announced that a tiny probe no bigger than a small TV..
We neither write nor read, and if we write, it is ancient language that we produce. This is why we have lost our status and this is why we envy the Indian probe.
:mrgreen:
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

Neighbor's envy, India's pride!!! :mrgreen:
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

RajeshA, this is the 3rd time we are seeing that article here ! :D
Anurag
BRFite

Post by Anurag »

Vivek K wrote:Neighbor's envy, India's pride!!! :mrgreen:
Onida :rotfl:
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

How did we miss this..
Congratulations, India, on Chandrayaan–1

Wednesday’s successful launching of India’s Chandrayaan-1, which means “Moon craft 1” in Sanskrit, raises even more the prestige of Mahatma Gandhi and Jahawarlal Nehru’s country.

This is only India’s first moon mission, unmanned, and even if observers say it is only “following China’s footsteps,” it should make the world recognize that this, the world’s most populous electoral democracy and the repository of one of the world’s most ancient civilizations, now shares with China and Japan the role of being the Asian equals of the West in scientific prowess.

Chandrayaan-1 makes Indians even prouder of their country. It has been registering the world’s second highest rate of economic growth (the first is China.). Perhaps, more than China, India has uplifted more millions of its people from poverty in the past decade.

We hope and pray India will have more successes in space, especially with its growing closeness with the United States, and in socio-economic development. We pray even more fervently that this triumph will drive the Indian central government to move more decisively in putting an end to the communal violence perpetrated by Hindu nationalists against Indian Christians and missionaries.
http://www.manilatimes.net/national/200 ... 3opi3.html

While i do appreciate the sincere tone this article from Philippines endorses, what does the Indian Ambassador their do to point out that these incidents are aberrations and not the rule? Looks like some of our foreign diplomats are only in the business for cocktail dinners and a good cushy time in diplomatic circles and high society.
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

A Brown professor's research equipment is on its way to the moon as part of India's first-ever lunar mission. Carle Pieters, professor of geological sciences, is the principal investigator for one of 11 projects with an instrument on board a recently launched Indian rocket that will orbit and investigate the moon.

India's mission, carried out by the Chandrayaan-1 rocket, was developed with foreign support, including from the United States.
http://media.www.browndailyherald.com/m ... 5505.shtml

Look at the shameless conceit and arrogance with which they furnish lies offhand. Anyone here can tell these Brown jokers they're piggy back riding on totally indigenous Indian effort? They should be grateful not having to pay anything for it. Ingrates!