Indian IT Industry

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian IT Industry

Post by Nayak »

Chop credit cards.
Bath together.
Share undies.
Cook at home.
Watch movies at home.
Switch to inexpensive cable.

It's quite easy to lead a comfortable inexpensive life.

I found out that I have the same spending habits when I started earning 3.5 K a month 10 years back to the current figure I am getting.
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

Abduls and Ayeshas who have a urge to splurge and cannot resist using their credit cards are the ones who get into trouble when the revenue streams go dry.

I know of beebul who change their wardrobe every six months, upgrade their mobiles every 3 months, go to fancy restaurants/bars/pubs every weekend, develop a taste for expensive alcohol, subscribe to multiple credit cards.

They do not understand the concept of saving. Heck the generation after independence survived solely on Govt/Factory dole and managed to educate their kids, build a home, buy a site.
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

Nayak wrote:Abduls and Ayeshas who have a urge to splurge and cannot resist using their credit cards are the ones who get into trouble when the revenue streams go dry.

I know of beebul who change their wardrobe every six months, upgrade their mobiles every 3 months, go to fancy restaurants/bars/pubs every weekend, develop a taste for expensive alcohol, subscribe to multiple credit cards.

They do not understand the concept of saving. Heck the generation after independence survived solely on Govt/Factory dole and managed to educate their kids, build a home, buy a site.

And go to the nearby temple you didnt have time for until now. :)
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

One area where i have never been able to understand is the liking for high end mobiles, even when they are not going to use those features.

People keep asking me why i bought a nokia model for 2500 rupees when i could have gone for a high end one. My standard answer - i dont need those
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

idea of bathing together has my full support
- saves time
- keeps the relationship fun and close 8)
- eco-friendly (save atleast 20 ltr water and heating bill)
- someone to scrub the hard to reach zone in the back

a good household "green initiative"
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Singha wrote:idea of bathing together has my full support
- saves time
- keeps the relationship fun and close 8)
- eco-friendly (save atleast 20 ltr water and heating bill)
- someone to scrub the hard to reach zone in the back

a good household "green initiative"
IIRC, some Aussie town had issued similar guidelines to help save water during a drought couple of years back... 8)
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

John Snow wrote:Ha

While doing my MS in (MSU after finishing M Tech IE) using my fresh knowledge of Work Study and Method study, I had studied Moms and SHQ cooking methods, and my protfolio being diverse in domain knowledge, I have a fall back option which I think most ITvity wallahs don't have CIA skills..

I am opening a Mirchi Bandi ( CB CC aka Chat Bandi or Chat Cart which I intend operating near AG office or Rail nilayam) I am also buying a used Brinks armoured van and modify it to have LPG cook top a microwave operated (powered by Honda generator) this is for operation near Temple University campus from Sep thru Jan Fall semester, and rest of the time in India Feb thru July. Thi is future of MNCs
:rotfl: :rotfl:
Before Dilip Chabaria rips this idea, i think the Brinks people can advertise one more application for their van.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

Hmm, someone maxed out the cards and lost the job? Good for him!! And he will go to his dad. Good for the father too!!

If my boy comes to me in that state, he would even be denied the chai and chips. Live within the means is the mantra.
Ameet
BRFite

Post by Ameet »

Infosys Boss: Outsourcing Will Increase
Despite the downturn, CEO Gopalakrishnan sees no need to cut staff—and in fact is hiring to meet future demand

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/c ... l+business

The global meltdown is posing several challenges for IT companies. Apart from worrying about the wild currency fluctuations, IT players have to cope with uncertainties in new contracts, customers cutting back IT investments and an overall sluggish market scenario.

Despite the challenges, Infosys Technologies MD & CEO S Gopalakrishnan believes that there is no need to cut manpower and there are several untapped opportunities that Infosys can look at for future growth. ET caught up with him to discuss the slowdown, Infosys strategy, new areas that Infosys is betting on and more. Excerpts:

What impact are you seeing of the current economic slowdown on outsourcing?
The US bailout of AIG, the Lehman bankruptcy and related developmentshave had an overall negative impact and this will be prolonged before we see any recovery.

In a recent informal survey among our customers, we found there will be an increase in allocation for offshore work in some cases. We are hiring and will do so more, both onsite and offshore. We believe that due to the skills available, India will be a preferred offshore location.

What are the opportunities you're exploring now?
The business which is done under the global delivery model (GDM) is a very small part of the overall IT spending. The overall IT services spending is about $800 billion. Outsourcing is about $250 billion. The exports from India are about $40 billion or 5%. Also, it includes captives so the third-party number is much lower.

So, what we are telling our clients is that they can get much more savings from transitioning to GDM. About 90% of our revenue comes from the US and Europe. Even in Europe, we are present in the UK, Germany, Switzerland, the Netherlands and France. There are places we are not present in. There are sectors we don't do much work in, public sector, government and healthcare. Those are all opportunities where we can look for growth in the future.

Before the current crisis, there was a focus on moving beyond cost-cutting to high-end work. Is the focus is back on cost-cutting?
Actually, consulting is growing very well and that is high-end. We have limited capabilities in consulting but we are seeing increased opportunities. Companies are looking at consultants to tell them how to optimise their costs, increase their revenues, what kind of restructuring should they do. There is a lot of M&A and integration work.

Which are the areas in R&D that you're particularly focussing on?
We are investing in IP solutions. With our own R&D, we are able to do more value-added services. So, we will continue to invest in R&D, even in such times. It's also a good way to utilise the bench. We are investing in R&D in every sector that we are present in, BFSI, manufacturing, retail, telecom.
achit
BRFite

Post by achit »

Nayak wrote:Abduls and Ayeshas who have a urge to splurge and cannot resist using their credit cards are the ones who get into trouble when the revenue streams go dry.

True, new generation only understand the concept of spending money and they want 'easy money'. 10 year ago I started with 5.5K in Pune (after transport, rent and food, I was still able to save some). Now one of my cousin earns 40-50K (after tax, 2 year exp only) per month, lives with parents and has no savings. How the hell can some one spend 40-50K in a month when not paying EMI!!!

And than there is this guy ( son of a close and respected family friend), who did his 4 year BE from some new xyz dime a dozen college in western UP. No job offers after campus, lives with his parents , so my brother offered him a trainee job in his company (1/2 mile from his home) but NO (he refused) consider it an insult for working/training for only 12k/month.
Salon ki izzat utar zati hai!! Baap 25-30 saal ki naukri ke baad 25K/month kamata hai, ladkiyon ki shaadi, iski padayi sab ek kamai main, magar ye harmkhor usko budhape main bhi nahin chodega.
Sorry guys, just venting, His father is one of the best person, me and my family has known, Can't figure out how can an apple fall so far away from tree.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

thats because youngsters get things too easy these days. we are responsible mainly for spoiling them as parents due to various factors like "let him/her not suffer what we went through", guilt at spending less time than we want with them etc. likewise the older generation too spoilt some of these brats now just entering the workforce.

american kids are also materially spoilt but the good ones have a much
better work ethic too, though the hamptons/LA rich brats are similar to
our desi herrow(ines)

amirkhan kid will do a lot of work like side jobs, repairing car, home
improvements treating that as part of growing up and bonding with dad
or friends. our fatkat kids will not do any "menial" work and slouch infront of a PS2 munching on chips.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

Amirkhan kids are spoilt, but they are also taught responsibility. We just spoil. That is the difference. Also, would we allow our wards to take any side jobs?

We will get there. We are seeing a transitional generation onlee. There ARE plenty of young people who work, extra money and face life. Only that we don't make news out of them.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Singha wrote:thats because youngsters get things too easy these days. we are responsible mainly for spoiling them as parents due to various factors like "let him/her not suffer what we went through",
It reminds me of an argument with some friends about getting citizenship in USA. Their point was citizenship offers greater flexibility in traveling between India and USA (like forever). And if things do not work out in India for the kids, the kids can move out to USA. My point was even without USA citizenship, the kids could come to USA from India - just like many of us who came here. If they have what it takes to get into x, y or z country, then they will get into those countries. If they don't have the capability then bad luck. Their counter-argument was why make the kids go through that. When we went through the journey and are so close to getting the benefits, why deny them that.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

There is another century of loot and pillage to be done in the west, so harvesting phoren passports may not be a bad idea after all. IMO, if the kids turn out to be smart and successful then you do not need that insurance, OTOH if they want to just work at the corner grocery store then the passport will get handy to pack them off to massa :mrgreen: for a more comfortable life if not a great career. Something to cheer them up and not eat your head at having denied them a first world life.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Bade wrote:There is another century of loot and pillage to be done in the west, so harvesting phoren passports may not be a bad idea after all. IMO, if the kids turn out to be smart and successful then you do not need that insurance, OTOH if they want to just work at the corner grocery store then the passport will get handy to pack them off to massa :mrgreen: for a more comfortable life if not a great career. Something to cheer them up and not eat your head at having denied them a first world life.
Being bullish about India, I can not ever think that India will not offer a first class world life. If they want to work at the corner "annachi kadai" only, what is use packing them to USA. They would end up at USA - the difference instead of speaking in one of the Indian languages, they would be serving in Angrezi.
vsudhir
BRF Oldie

Post by vsudhir »

Prolly the best of both worlds is to have the kids born in the USA which means citizenship by birth and have 'em schooled in yindia - that way they learn hindi, grow up closer to matrubhumi and what not. Once they're over 18, well, and the parents' trusteeship chapter kinda comes to a close. Kids are adults now, out on their own, and a phoren passport does offer more options (and things will stay this way for the next few decades easily).

Know of at least 1 NRI family (GC holdera now) who're sending their 10 yr old to a boarding school in kodaikanal. Another friend of mine was born to Indian parents in the 70s where they were doing their PhDs, got schooled in hyd (St Anns) and returned to do her college and job etc to massaland. I consider her remarkably well adjusted - accent is still desi, heart is desi but passport is amriki onlee.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

I don't want to derail this thread any further but dileep saar.. If the kid wants to remain in yindia and study/work/whatever here itself, what possible obstacles do you see with the kid holding a yamriki passport? Cos its not a given that the kid will def want to go to the us to study isn't it?
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

If you have OIC, there are no obstacles for an amirkhan kid. You can do everything, except voting in the strict definition of the law.

But if you want to enroll to vote, you can. I think falsifying the declaration in the registration is not morally illegal, as long as you live here and are not registered to vote in USA elections. You have a right to citizenship here, you live here the same way as a citizen do, and you would pick an arm and stand a post for India if the need comes, silly rules by babudom doesn't matter.

My little one is Amirkhan citizen by compellation. He is included in the ration card, and when he turns 18, he has the choice to register to vote here or not (or in USA), fully knowing what he is doing.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

One request to elder maulanas....Please dont club all of us young abduls into spendthrift, easy money category. There are plenty of us who live within means and have never been in any debt, both in India and massa.

Most of desis I see in ITvity in Massa have this fancy-car-buy-itis syndrome as soon as they start pulling 6 figure salary out of college. Now I am having last laugh driving my ol' 96 civic (which looks like a bit crappy due to old paint but is in great shape mechanically, give 34mpg) while they worry continously about their monthly lexus payments in this time of uncertainity. :((

Was very surprised on last visit to India 2 years back to see relatives who work in call center/IT coolly dropping 10K Rs. at the drop of a hat for a new phone :shock: Nobody's asking to become Uncle Scrooge but surely there must be some sound logic behind spending. The guy in the article who claims he needs 2 Rs. when he has 1Rs. in pocket will never have enough money even if he becomes a millionaire.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Nayak wrote: Share undies. :shock:

I found out that I have the same spending habits when I started earning 3.5 K a month 10 years back to the current figure I am getting.
Maulana Nayak.....going by your spending habits and vigorously applying lahori logic....are you currently still one of sg's eligible bachelors?? :mrgreen:
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Dileep saar,
thank you for that. So, despite being an amirkhan citizen, the kid can choose to remain Indian in all senses of the word if he/she chooses to do so.
Raj Malhotra
BRFite

Post by Raj Malhotra »

Before the Stock market crash, there used to lot of news time devoted to some new IT companies like TANLA, Geodesic, CLGA (CLSA spelling?) etc as new Infosys or TCS, are we now seeing some new young blood in town, who will take us further?
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

Can anyone explain why the Indian stub on historical computing speeds is so small. I thought we had a decent program for the last two decades ?
Mapping the world's fastest computers

Mapping the World's Fastest Supercomputers
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

Raja Bose wrote: Maulana Nayak.....going by your spending habits and vigorously applying lahori logic....are you currently still one of sg's eligible bachelors?? :mrgreen:

Naaa, I am just poor desi-dugga trying to scrape a subsistence living on some annaas thrown by my employers. But soon I will join the queue to soup kitchen as I don't have a job when I return to desh.

:(( :(( :((
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

whoa....Maulana Nayakuddin that is sad news indeed :( but then why return to desh (apart from personal reasons/family reasons and the haraam work environment that you were issuing fatwas against during past few weeks). Times are tough indeed....I was lucky enough to land a job (and even luckier to get in the place of my choice) but no guarantees anywhere for the future only stolen grass from absent-minded massa faujis to feed the goats. As for abduls graduating in Spring '09, less said the better what with worsening situation and Barrack Hussein's antics.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Raja Bose wrote:whoa....Maulana Nayakuddin that is sad news indeed :( but then why return to desh (apart from personal reasons/family reasons and the haraam work environment that you were issuing fatwas against during past few weeks). Times are tough indeed....I was lucky enough to land a job (and even luckier to get in the place of my choice) but no guarantees anywhere for the future only stolen grass from absent-minded massa faujis to feed the goats. As for abduls graduating in Spring '09, less said the better what with worsening situation and Barrack Hussein's antics.
What are the prospects for the guys finishing their MS in 09 and '10(esp in VLSI)?
Many of my friends are doing their MS and none gives me a true picture...what do the Amrikan jingoes feel about the situation?
Will the guys get jobs after their MS and will they get paid enough to pay off the education loan EMIs?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

you must be aware the semi industry is one of the worst hit even in blr , TOI was quoting a placement agency as saying 2000 experienced people have been looking for jobs. apart from biggies like connexant, moto, freescale etc, the smaller desi cos that get subcontracts and projects from far east are also hurting badly.
many US startups in the semi space will not survive, tough for them to get next rounds of funding.

a lot of MS people graduating next year wont be able to get jobs during
their 2-yr OPT imo. theres is going to be major competition for limited
Phd seats.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Singha is right. Semiconductor industry is in bad shape. If your desire is to become an IC designer then that is gonna be real tough nowadays. Even in best of times supply exceeds demand for those positions.....I see a lot of ECE VLSI guys go into pure software or firmware type stuff....flexibility is also key now with students having narrow skillset having a harder time.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Important to remember....if you dont get a job within 3 months of your OPT, you need to return to India....you cannot stay for the entire year. Moreover you can only apply for the 17 month extension if the co. you work subscribes to e-verify....if you switch cos during that 17 month period you can only do so if your new co. also subscribes to e-verify.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

quite a few senior manager types on proj mgt side, product/marketing/consulting/business_dev side have been let go in blr. atleast the low level fata jihadi can wield his ak47 (C programming etc) and fire random bursts in the 'general direction of the unseen enemy'...for people in middle/top manager role, its hard to get a satisfactory placement even in good times.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Raja Bose wrote:Singha is right. Semiconductor industry is in bad shape. If your desire is to become an IC designer then that is gonna be real tough nowadays. Even in best of times supply exceeds demand for those positions.....I see a lot of ECE VLSI guys go into pure software or firmware type stuff....flexibility is also key now with students having narrow skillset having a harder time.
Very true...
I asked because many of my friends left good jobs here and went over for MS in the last 1-1.5 years...since they will not give the true picture(and will give only face-saving rosy pictures), i thought better to know the real deal from the amrikan jingoes. I am only afraid as to how will they repay their massive loans in 20-30L range if jobs are hard to get!!!
very sad that semicon is going through such a phase...me too a semicon engg and i keep glancing over my shoulder every day apprehensive about the fateful call from the HR since my co has also announced a 10% across the board layoff!! :(
derkonig
BRFite
Location: Jeering sekular forces bhile Furiously malishing my mijjile @ Led Lips Mijjile Malish Palish Parloul

Post by derkonig »

Dark days indeed for it-vity mujahids, but bliss to spare a thought for the fin sector. If fin keeps getting hammered the way it is, the entire global economy is done for. Placements in it-vity cos. are still a lot safer as compared to fin & i-banking these days.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

semicon industry has done 1000x more to improve the world and impact everyone's life +vely than the entire wall street gang put together.

and as usual, luck and society respects not the soldier whose bones lie guarding the windswept pass in eternity or the guy who lost two legs trying to defuse a bomb in the market...but the 'leader' who visits later to soak up all the credit and 'manage' the show from the stage, one who orders games and treats to keep the mob entertained.

too bad folks like moto, intel or qualcomm cannot ask for federal bailout money, they dont have a army of senators on the payroll like wall street does.
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

What is sexier ? Nerdy guys wearing glasses walking in white robes speaking scientific mumbo-jumbo or suave suited booted slick willies with blondes hanging around the elbows who will whisper magical forumulae to multiply your money ?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

now that slick willies are thrown out, maybe the blonde drones can be redeployed to make tea, massage tired backs and serve cookies to the tech troops in the trenches.

there is afterall a long tradition of glamourous women doing frontline tours to cheer up the boys...
pradeepe
BRFite
Location: Our culture is different and we cannot live together - who said that?

Post by pradeepe »

sum wrote:
Raja Bose wrote:Singha is right. Semiconductor industry is in bad shape. If your desire is to become an IC designer then that is gonna be real tough nowadays. Even in best of times supply exceeds demand for those positions.....I see a lot of ECE VLSI guys go into pure software or firmware type stuff....flexibility is also key now with students having narrow skillset having a harder time.
Very true...
I asked because many of my friends left good jobs here and went over for MS in the last 1-1.5 years...since they will not give the true picture(and will give only face-saving rosy pictures), i thought better to know the real deal from the amrikan jingoes. I am only afraid as to how will they repay their massive loans in 20-30L range if jobs are hard to get!!!
very sad that semicon is going through such a phase...me too a semicon engg and i keep glancing over my shoulder every day apprehensive about the fateful call from the HR since my co has also announced a 10% across the board layoff!! :(
Fellow mujahid, my only advice if I may is to keep the flame alive and stick to being as techie as possible in this env. Its a hard rope to navigate when our society doesnt look too kindly on the techie abdul. Having successfuly navigated with feet in both boats in massland and no torn crotch to show for that, I had turned over to the other side upon return to desh. But I am in the process of reevaluating that. That is where massa scores heavily. I personally know many execs who are hard core geeks in the actual sense. We need to bring that mindset over. Be the agents of change...
KarthikSan
BRFite

Post by KarthikSan »

I work for the largest semicon company of all. We are still hiring PeeYechDees in droves. I feel that hiring has actually increased now because they have the chance to pick and choose among the best of the best!
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

All this talk about the semicon industry is making this grad student wonder if he'd have been better of tending to goats in tora bora mountain caves than study kufy vlsi. Two years is a long time and hopefully things will turn around enough for decent job opps. Else its back to goat or cow grazing in the village :cry:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

a distinguished engr in my BU who is at a stratospheric tech level still makes time to code and I see his checkin mails sometimes. I have seen
SVPs who attend design doc reviews and constantly look for new things to learn, including going to labs and sitting with engrs trying to debug issues.

higher the number of such generals , better for the troops.

I have also seen senior tech leads who became managers, didnt like it
after a while and returned to a individual role with great success.

it all depends on how supportive the co is.

the monkeys I worked with in my previous co had all become managers
without enough tech accomplishments or were totally unsuitable to be
managers. result was they ruined a group which had potential and executive backing from san jose. last I heard they were a year behind schedule and backlog of 100s of bugs with poor performance from the new box. troops are skulking away into other parts of the org and the
biggest monkey has somehow hoodwinked upper management into being
handed another major assignment. no doubt he will run that into ground
in around 2 yrs.
Last edited by Singha on 25 Nov 2008 06:29, edited 1 time in total.
SandeepA
BRFite

Post by SandeepA »

I am seeing hardcore techies (some of whom declined managerial positions earlier) lobbying for management roles now. Looks like its the best thing to do when anticipating recession and jobs-crunch. Apparently a manager is a manager whatever the industry, flexibility is the key, the techie will be the dinosaur soon blah blah. I still dont have the stomach for such a position just yet.