Terror Attacks in Mumbai

Philip
BRF Oldie

Re: Terror Attacks in Mumbai

Post by Philip »

The tugs in harbour and Coast Guard vessels have very powerful waterjets required for putting out fires on large ships.If they can get close enough by the waterfront they can direct their jets at the hotel.They have the range.This is another reason why the GOI should acquire Beriev amphibians which can also serve as huge firefighters as designed.They are used in forest fires and can just scoop up water from the sea lakes and rivers.Had we had even one such aircraft,the entire fire could've been put out in just one waterbombing run.In the Calcutta building fire,it could've been used too,as in crowded streets one can fight fire best from the air.
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

Navy has seized the ship used by the RATS.
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

A big fire inside Taj according to G Koshy of IBN. Just that we are not seeing live feed of it. He says its as big as yesterday's fire. What we are seeing is just the tip of the iceberg.
vishal
BRFite

Post by vishal »

CCTV footage of the terrorists outside CST show a high level of co-ordination as per Arnab Goswami of Times Now. They do not look in the same direction together and cover different areas at any given time. Movements are co-ordinated using hand signals.
milindc
BRFite

Post by milindc »

Singha wrote: barkha is whining on and on about whats going to happen should
perchance the GOI launches a assault and how even one hostage being
killed by terrorists is going to be bad xyz. she has become hysterical
and incoherent during the course of the day to add to her slyness and
madness. someone should just chloroform this woman and keep her
sedated until this is cleaned up.
Biatch is stating that there is Stoicism in air among the people including relatives of hostages. They are not asking GoI to act quickly. She in her heart wants situation similar to Kandahar.
milindc
BRFite

Post by milindc »

vishal wrote:CCTV footage of the terrorists outside CST show a high level of co-ordination as per Arnab Goswami of Times Now. They do not look in the same direction together and cover different areas at any given time. Movements are co-ordinated using hand signals.
Everything about them points to Military training.
Manu
BRFite

Post by Manu »

• First three floors of Oberoi are cleared.
    VRD (CM, Mumbai) says that ops will end tomorrow morning, and was 'surprised' why the BSE was closed.
    A total of 13 places were attacked by 20-25 Terrorists (this is the latest estimate of the number of terrorists, per CM).
Question: The operation is now 21 hours old, how much Coke/hashish did the Terrorists take? Why has fatigue not set in?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

maybe some are sleeping at any time. not being under assault, all hands
on deck not needed.
vishal
BRFite

Post by vishal »

Gujarat Police advising Mumbai Police on similarities in MO between Akshardham and Mumbai. Small, trained units packing a lot of firepower.
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

Australia and France have issued travel warnings. Multiplexes shut in Mumbai.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/no ... -terrorism

Mumbai attacks: domestic Indian terrorism with a global twistWhile terrorism is common in India, the Mumbai attacks suggest a group with outside influences – and careful planning
Julian Borger
guardian.co.uk, Thursday November 27 2008 10.20 GMT

The claim of responsibility came from a group no one had heard of before, the Deccan Mujahideen. The Deccan plateau is a huge area of central and southern India, and mujahideen is the Arab word for Islamic holy warriors.

The name suggests a domestic agenda with foreign inspiration. The claim may of course be bogus, or the name could be a cover for another group, but it looks a fair guess at this early stage that this represents home-grown terrorism with an imported twist.

India is one of the principal targets of terrorism. According to the US state department, 2,300 people died in terrorist attacks in the country during the course of 2007. There are Maoist groups in the east and centre and nationalists in the north-east.

In this case it looks like Islamist extremism, for which Mumbai has been a particular target. More than 250 people were killed there in a series of 13 bomb blasts in 1993 blamed on Muslim militants. Two years ago more than 200 people were killed by bomb attacks on trains and railway stations. The police charged about 30 suspects belonging to a Pakistan-based group called Lashkar-i-Taiba and a northern group called Students Islamic Movement of India.

The violence is fuelled by longstanding ethnic tensions that were inflamed by riots in Gujarat State near Mumbai six years ago. Nearly 2,000 people were killed, most of them Muslims. The most serious attacks followed those riots.

But there is clearly something different about this attack. It has relied not on bombs, but a coordinated assault by men with rifles who seem to have arrived at some of their targets by boat. They appear to be on a suicide mission. In at least one instance they singled out Britons and Americans, and one of their targets was a Orthodox Jewish centre. Clearly there is outside influence on their strategy and ideology.

It is too early to say whether there is an al-Qaida connection, and such links can take many forms, from active training and assistance in planning and logistics to simple inspiration from the internet.

What is likely is that the attacks will get blamed on Pakistan and its Inter-Services Intelligence agency (ISI), as have previous Islamist atrocities. US counter-terrorism officials believe some ISI members played a role in an attack this year on the Indian embassy in Afghanistan.

Mumbai may be the latest of many outrages that have their roots in recent Indian history – but the targeting of westerners suggests this is becoming globalised, intertwined with a brand of violent extremism emanating from Pakistan and Afghanistan.
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

Of the 9 people being held for questioning, 7 are believed to be fishermen from the Koli area.
Vivek Sreenivasan
BRFite

Post by Vivek Sreenivasan »

These guys are some tough son's of {Pakistanis}, they have effectively turned south mumbai into a warzone. It reminds me of the US seige of Falluja. Where soldiers were involved in fierce urban fighting. The only difference there was that the US soldiers could destroy buidings with impunity and and air support. The longer this goes on the worse it looks unfortunatly.

And i agree with other commentators these guys are military or at least have had military training. You average dumb jehadi would be long dead by now.
Last edited by enqyoob on 27 Nov 2008 17:52, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: insulting animals
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

National Security Guard (NSG) commandos carry bomb-defusing equipment near the Taj hotel in Mumbai November 27, 2008.
(Stringer/Reuters)
Last edited by shyamd on 27 Nov 2008 17:38, edited 1 time in total.
vishal
BRFite

Post by vishal »

2 Polish hostages rescued from Trident. Refusing to answer questions. Saying " No comments, promised to Commissioner."
vishal
BRFite

Post by vishal »

Times Now in touch with a woman inside the Trident on her cellphone. Saying those trapped in rooms have no internet access or TV. Telephone lines are working. Says she got a phonecall 2 hours ago saying an operation was underway.

The woman was amazingly calm and composed. She might as well have been taking a call in her office on a normal day!
Vivek Sreenivasan
BRFite

Rediff
: Railway Additional DGP K P Raghuvanshi has been given temporary charge of ATS following Hemant Karkare's [Images] killing in Mumbai terror attacks, says Deputy Chief Minister R R Patil.

No real point now its a bit too late.
Mathew G
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Mathew G »

vishal wrote:Times Now in touch with a woman inside the Trident on her cellphone. Saying those trapped in rooms have no internet access or TV. Telephone lines are working. Says she got a phonecall 2 hours ago saying an operation was underway.

The woman was amazingly calm and composed. She might as well have been taking a call in her office on a normal day!
Natural reaction when the initial shock hasn't sunk in. But I'm afraid, once the fear surfaces, say in a few days time, it may stay on for years to come. That's how phobias develop.
Vivek Sreenivasan
BRFite

05:45 PM: Lashkar-e-Tayiba has denied involvement in the terrorist attacks in Mumbai. Death toll in Mumbai terror attacks 101; 288 injured, six of them critically, says Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh.
vishal
BRFite

Post by vishal »

Arnab Goswami of Times Now saying no need for politicians to come in at the closing stages and grab credit. That belongs only to the men in uniform who are salvaging the situation at great peril to their own safety. Reporting some politicians are already at the Taj.
Mathew G
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Mathew G »

Cmon mullahs, Why not declare a fatwa against terrorists? Why don't you do that??

Isn't it suprising (or is it?) that we never hear any muslim cleric do that.
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

Fire is continuing to rage at Taj. Firefighters are now entering the building. According to G Koshy.
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

Groups behind attacks based outside India: PM
In a televised address to the nation, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh [Images] said that those behind the terror attack in Mumbai were from outside India

He promised that: "We will take the strongest possible action. We'll take a number of measures to strengthen our security forces."

He also said the National Security Act will be enforced so that terrorists cannot escape the clutches of law. A Federal Investigation Authority will be set up to fight terror in a co-ordinated manner, he added.

He said India will take up with neighbouring country the use of their territory to launch attacks against the country.
Sorry Mr. Singh, I have completely lost my faith in you.
vishal
BRFite

Post by vishal »

A rescued Polish hostage saying the police was very professional and the 'special squad' was very very, very special. Times Now.
sunnyP
BRFite

Post by sunnyP »

Having watched the BBC's coverage of the attacks here in the UK for several hours last night, I have to say the rhetoric has changed dramatically from previous Indian terror attacks.

On numerous occassions when the anchor asked a fellow Brit journalist "who the likely attackers are", a reply of "for many years now there have been tensions between the Muslim and Hindu communities and with many Muslim groups vowing to destroy Hinduism, it appears this is some Islamic terror group here"

I heard variations of the above line 4 or 5 times yesterday with the 'destroy Hinduism' phrase there everytime.

I know this is something most Indians already know but its interesting to hear it coming from an org like the bbc.
snehal.tiwari
BRFite -Trainee

Post by snehal.tiwari »

milindc wrote:
snehal.tiwari wrote: Do we want to kill the terrorists?
I would say no (to the generic question).

Among all our neighbours, Pakistan is a country which has to be the prime candidate.

Also, branding the country for the action of its leaders / men in power is not a right thing to do.
Take the terrorist infrastructure out. Preachers of hate, training camps and people running them have to be eliminated.
Lets be like the US for once. Let all our neighbours know that we want the terrorist infrastructure destroyed regardless of where it is. Boundaries are inconsequential. You either co-operate and be with us or fight against us.

Hence, lets drop the fight. Lets stop dividing ourselves on religion, caste, region and prosper togather.
Snehal,
You keep contradicting your own statements as one moves down the incoherent rambling.
Let me elaborate... when I say drop the fight, I mean drop the fight between people. We need to overcome our prejudice again religion/nation.
I would say read the entire post and it should make meaning.

Thanks for being critical though. Makes me feel real good for being called 'incohorent rambler'.
I assume you have a better solution and can put it in even nicer words.

No offence meant.
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

~35-40 hostages still trapped in Oberoi.
snehal.tiwari
BRFite -Trainee

Post by snehal.tiwari »

milindc wrote:
snehal.tiwari wrote: Do we want to kill the terrorists?
I would say no (to the generic question).

Among all our neighbours, Pakistan is a country which has to be the prime candidate.

Also, branding the country for the action of its leaders / men in power is not a right thing to do.
Take the terrorist infrastructure out. Preachers of hate, training camps and people running them have to be eliminated.
Lets be like the US for once. Let all our neighbours know that we want the terrorist infrastructure destroyed regardless of where it is. Boundaries are inconsequential. You either co-operate and be with us or fight against us.

Hence, lets drop the fight. Lets stop dividing ourselves on religion, caste, region and prosper togather.
Snehal,
You keep contradicting your own statements as one moves down the incoherent rambling.

Let me elaborate... when I say drop the fight, I mean drop the fight between people. We need to overcome our prejudice again religion/nation.

Thanks for being critical though. Makes me feel real good for being called 'incohorent rambler'.

No offence meant.
Purush
BRF Oldie

Post by Purush »

vishal wrote: Reporting some politicians are already at the Taj.
be nice and wish only nice things to everyone
Last edited by Jagan on 27 Nov 2008 20:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited
snehal.tiwari
BRFite -Trainee

Post by snehal.tiwari »

kvraghav wrote:^^
Leave snehals comments alone.He has come with his flame baits into an emotionally charged up thread..
Sorry for the double post earlier. I was not sure the post went through.

Hi Raghav, I am not trying to inflame the situation. I have not read all the 36 pages of discussion going on in this post.

And as far as I think, I am not being emotional as well.
I am trying to project a long term solution that will improve community relations.
Help the majority understand what makes a terrorist.
And when I am talking of action, I am not suggesting an all out war, but proactive action across the borders.

People are entiled to their own opinion though.
snehal.tiwari
BRFite -Trainee

Post by snehal.tiwari »

Tanaji wrote:Snehal's post has factual inaccuracies, self contradictions, stereotypes and plain naivete thrown in for good measure.
Thanks for posting our views on my post.
factual inaccuracies: I did say 'assumptions' which would hold true in large majority of cases.
Every case is different and hence not possible to get into facts of each case when talking of long term solution.

Self contracdictions: I am saying, lets me human. Lets have some empathy for our fellowmen within and outside the country. At the same time, lets take the peole with guns on. Especially the ones we can identify and take out their infrastructure.

Sterotypes: Another word is generalisation. Again considering that I am talking of taking the problem of terrorism out, it has to be generalised. I am not talking of a particular incident.

plan naivete: My motto is to keep things simple. I would like to see a better solution put forward. I dont care about the wordings used if the message gets across.

My intention of posting my first article was to get people to think of the long term solution and not nit-pick on the language used.

How about coming out with some arguments on the subject matter put out by me.
i.e. What I mention about terrorist incidents
What I say about 'why a person becomes a terrorist'
I am saying it is highly unlikely that we will have a definate proof against anybody meaningful.
I am pointing my fingers at suspects (i.e. pak/isi)
We have no credible proof.. hence the language used.
How about some actual comments on 'actions to be taken now'
How about comments on internation response
How about thoughts on how abour polity is going to react

That was the intention of my post.
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

IBN folks are going on a loop of darkness is going to set in any time soon.. Ooh aah etc. As if last night's operations just did not happen. Dumbasses.
Vivek Sreenivasan
BRFite

Seriously if those pollies somehow take the credit for killing these terrorists they need to be beaten up. No kidding.

Praise is for the Jawans, Police and firefighters.
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

Stop Posting and go smell some petrol fumes.

This CNN IBN dorkette is asking dumb questions.

If the darkness prevails, time to bring out the NVGs.
Purush
BRF Oldie

Post by Purush »

snehal.tiwari wrote:

{If you something coherent to post, do so. Lack of content, and idiotic flame attacks on those with opinions different from yours, are precisely the traits of a "paki", so you just passed Steps 1 & 2 of the 4-Step Paki Detection Algorithm.

Here's some advice: This is a warning, but I don't really believe in warnings. }
Last edited by enqyoob on 27 Nov 2008 18:09, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Hate attack on other postor
Mathew G
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Mathew G »

Dilbu wrote:Groups behind attacks based outside India: PM
In a televised address to the nation, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh [Images] said that those behind the terror attack in Mumbai were from outside India

He promised that: "We will take the strongest possible action. We'll take a number of measures to strengthen our security forces."

He also said the National Security Act will be enforced so that terrorists cannot escape the clutches of law. A Federal Investigation Authority will be set up to fight terror in a co-ordinated manner, he added.

He said India will take up with neighbouring country the use of their territory to launch attacks against the country.
Sorry Mr. Singh, I have completely lost my faith in you.
"Take up" what?! Is he suggesting like another round table conference or what??!
Last edited by Mathew G on 27 Nov 2008 18:00, edited 1 time in total.
Rishi
Forum Moderator

Post by Rishi »

http://www.cbr.gov.pk/newcu/igm/kpqi904.pdf

Details of MV Alpha docking at Karachi (Port Bin Quasim) on 20th Nov.

Ship came from China with coke.
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

snehal.tiwari wrote:

No offence meant.
This reply is intented to cause offence.
Say, What the hell you do you about Pakistan and Islam ? You come in and make a sweeping statement and expect people to say "Ah yes, here is our solution to the problem"

Do you know the histrory of the freedom struggle. Do you know what it is to lose land? Be homeless in your own country. Have you lost family to terrorism based on religion.

Stop being naieve and bloody read!

And believe me, if you think you are more civilised with more "saner" posts, you will be a ignorant twat. I want to rob you of that feeling too!
Last edited by Neela on 27 Nov 2008 17:58, edited 1 time in total.
vishal
BRFite

Post by vishal »

Ratan Tata live on Times Now. Saying the terrorists seemed to know their way around the back part of the hotel. Calm, articulate and in control even as he says he is helpless.
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

Sagarika Ghose will either have a stroke or an orgasm. She needs to stop getting excited and state the facts in a calm manner. Whats the point in getting worked up !!!