Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Re: Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

Post by Kakarat »

An Indian Army Parachute Regiment contingent marches past during Army Day parade in New Delhi, India, Thursday, Jan. 15, 2009.
A cavalry contingent of the Indian Army parades before the army chief, unseen, during Army Day celebrations in New Delhi, India, Thursday, Jan. 15, 2009.
Indian Army officers look on at a display of Brahmos missiles during Army Day parade in New Delhi, India, Thursday, Jan. 15, 2009.
The Indian Army's Bheeshma T-90 S/SK tank is displayed during the Army Day parade in New Delhi January 15, 2009. India on Thursday celebrated the 61st anniversary of the formation of its national army with soldiers from various regiments and artillery on display.
kunal anand
BRFite -Trainee

Post by kunal anand »

Still in the era of T-55.
My batch mate in Engg is in Meerut EME Workshop T-55 is still the bulk of work horse tanks with IA, notwithstanding the talk of T-72, T-90 etc etc.
I have personally visited few armoured regiments and EME workshops including the one in Meerut; it is T-72 and not T-55 which is the work horse of indian armour. Only handful of T-55 regiments remain and are shrinking albeit slowly.
jaladipc
BRFite

Post by jaladipc »

Kakarat wrote:Image
An Indian Army Parachute Regiment contingent marches past during Army Day parade in New Delhi, India, Thursday, Jan. 15, 2009.
Nice to see Tavours here.

Did army ordered any thing else more than the initial 3500#?

IT may sound gud to get TOT for the same........
parshuram
BRFite

Post by parshuram »

This type of parading style was earlier seen with Raj rif in last year republic day parade , Pakistani SPG and Russians spetanz use this type of style .. Very physically demanding though shows the fitness level of soilders
Nandan D
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Nandan D »

Fantastic pictures..

Gawd.....I Love BR!!!
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

parshuram wrote:This type of parading style was earlier seen with Raj rif in last year republic day parade , Pakistani SPG and Russians spetanz use this type of style .. Very physically demanding though shows the fitness level of soilders
Affectionately called the Arabic dance on BR...lots of controversy about this way of marching on BR when implemented in 07 Republic day.
anupmisra
BRF Oldie

Post by anupmisra »

sum wrote:
parshuram wrote:This type of parading style was earlier seen with Raj rif in last year republic day parade , Pakistani SPG and Russians spetanz use this type of style .. Very physically demanding though shows the fitness level of soilders
Affectionately called the Arabic dance on BR...lots of controversy about this way of marching on BR when implemented in 07 Republic day.

Kinda like this one. A porki general's wet dream (apparently now, an Indian general's as well).
soutikghosh
BRFite

Post by soutikghosh »

sombhat wrote:Gentlemen,

A view of the latest Know Your Army ex. at Fort Williams, Kolkata.

http://picasaweb.google.com/b.soumyadee ... directlink

plz. enjoy
Nice job Sombhat. Any more pics of the Bofors.
soutikghosh
BRFite

Post by soutikghosh »

Are there any hi-rez pics of Army day parade ?
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

That SSG picture does not narrate the full story: they are actually running backwards, an incredible feat on any terrain.
The way SSG does this far more demanding than what Indian Paras do :((
CalvinH
BRFite

Post by CalvinH »

Nice pics. Did you guys noticed the gloves! Are they the standard issue woolen gloves (for winters) or fire/heat/shock resistant ones worn by SWAT/NSG teams.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

One of the best A2G shots of a Martime Jaguar I have ever seen!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/anoopaa/27 ... 543191997/
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

More pics here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anoopaa/se ... 739273804/

The navigation maybe a bit quirky. each photo has multiple photos posted in it as comments so there are more than 18 photos in there
Indrajit
BRFite

Post by Indrajit »

Quote-Parashuram:This type of parading style was earlier seen with Raj rif in last year republic day parade , Pakistani SPG and Russians spetanz use this type of style .. Very physically demanding though shows the fitness level of soilders

Well,what they are doing is called double march,it's nothing new.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Jagan wrote:More pics here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anoopaa/se ... 739273804/

The navigation maybe a bit quirky. each photo has multiple photos posted in it as comments so there are more than 18 photos in there
http://www.flickr.com/photos/anoopaa/27 ... 543191997/

SU-30MKI SB-064
m mittal
BRFite -Trainee

Post by m mittal »

Nice gallery at Flickr
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

rkhanna
BRFite

Post by rkhanna »

Its sad to see our "Special" Forces jumping up and down like they were in the Apollo Circus. Where ever did words like secretive and strategic go? Wouldnt catch Delta, SAS or KSK doing this.. Honestly these Soviet Era Parades are getting a bit silly.
soutikghosh
BRFite

Post by soutikghosh »

An album on RedFlag featuring SU-30MKI

http://picasaweb.google.com/soutikghosh ... directlink
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

rkhanna wrote:Wouldnt catch Delta, SAS or KSK doing this.. Honestly these Soviet Era Parades are getting a bit silly.
This is my take on this issue. No more on this thread from me.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Where ever did words like secretive and strategic go? Wouldnt catch Delta, SAS or KSK doing this
RKhanna sir, we havent seen the SFF or the SG of the paras ever in the R-day. So, the actual "secretive" units are anyways quitely doing their jobs of sending assorted pigs to meet their houris in the background. So, no need to worry on that front, IMO.

Honestly, even i am not a great fan of the SF jog-past in parades.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

As someone pointed out it is called "double march"

Anyone who studies in a military-school type of set up learns the difference between a slow march, a quick march and a double march.

It is an indicator of the overwhelmingly civilian set up of schools in India that creat the type of ignorance that would call a double march a jog or a run. It is a different matter that some people express an opinion that they do not like the way it looks.

I think it looks just fine - but that's my opinion. It does not really bother me that Western armies don't display this or that the Pakistani army does it.
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Indian Army Chief Gen. Deepak Kapoor presents a bar signifying the second Sena Medal (Gallantry) to Major Longjam Jimkelly Meetei during Army Day celebrations in New Delhi on Thursday.

Which uniform is the decorated officer wearing? Google reveals Maj Meetei is from MAHAR regiment deputed to AR.
Indrajit
BRFite

Post by Indrajit »

Quote Shivji-"As someone pointed out it is called "double march"

Anyone who studies in a military-school type of set up learns the difference between a slow march, a quick march and a double march.

It is an indicator of the overwhelmingly civilian set up of schools in India that creat the type of ignorance that would call a double march a jog or a run. It is a different matter that some people express an opinion that they do not like the way it looks.

I think it looks just fine - but that's my opinion. It does not really bother me that Western armies don't display this or that the Pakistani army does it."

Ditto doc,I was really shocked to hear the comments made by some of the BRFites.I really respect each of them and their knowledge but in this case it was a shocker.Our Gandhian mindset should change and for good,otherwise the TV programes like Indian Idol will enable Mother India to give birth to more Eunuchs than men. :evil:
Last edited by Indrajit on 17 Jan 2009 22:03, edited 1 time in total.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

If it is the color of the unifrom you're talking about, its the winter uniform of the IA: Olive green trousers (the usual color), while the color of the shirt is what you see (and worn full sleeves).
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

rohitvats wrote:If it is the color of the unifrom you're talking about, its the winter uniform of the IA: Olive green trousers (the usual color), while the color of the shirt is what you see (and worn full sleeves).
Not sure if I got you; Khaki is worn during the winters? And all OG is only for summer?
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

I would not call the color as Khaki and as my vocab of colors is limited do not know what to term it either; better example of khaki are the trousers of the TFTA mards of SSG in one of the pics above.
Yes, the formation HQ actually comes out with circular authorizing the winter uniform for a period.
maz
Webmaster BR

Post by maz »

maz
Webmaster BR

Post by maz »

Army Day 2009 parade video

http://webcast.gov.in/armyday/aday09rm.html
The actual parade is towards the end of the video.

More details of the parade at http://www.pib.nic.in/release/release.asp?relid=46754
What is a Takshak Striker?
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

maz wrote:Know your army at Jalandar Cantt

http://flickr.com/photos/gopal1035/arch ... 009/01/14/
aah...seeing the little chap in the pics exploring all the army equipment brings back memories. As a kid every time the India International Trade Fair took place at Pragati Maidan in Delhi, while females of the family would go to whatever state pavilions to get useless bargains, my father would take me to the area behind the Defence pavilion, where the army would always have a couple of T-72s, BMPs, Indra RADAR and a few support vehicles apart from small arms, mortars etc. on display. I always got to chat with the jawans manning the displays and they would always graciouslly let me sit on the tank commander's seat or crawl into the tight confines of a BMP-2 and patiently answer all the questions a 7-8 year old could have about those fighting machines. Once I caused a bit of scare when I scampered all the way to the front of a BMP into the driver's seat :mrgreen: I remember the defence pavilion used to have a Gnat in the front (later moved to the back) and a Vijayanta. Later on when I was old enough to ride a bus without getting killed, I would take bus route 764 to Palam AF museum a lot. After befriending some of the AF guys who looked after the displays, got to crawl into some of the fuselages and cockpits (anybody ever been inside a fuselage of a Su-7?!). Sure miss those simple pleasures.

--- Added Later ---
From Jagan's site I notice that the Gnat has been pole mounted...earlier it used to stand on its own legs. Perhaps Pragati Maidan officials couldnot keep up with 'maintainance' of the tires...they used to have a deflated look even waay back!
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

maz wrote: What is a Takshak Striker?
Takshak Striker

Solid Base
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

The pics of the KYA@Jalandhar also have what I believe are the 1st close up pics of the upgraded M-46s by the Soltam. Infact, both the original model and the upgraded ones can be seen.
KiranM
BRFite

Post by KiranM »

shiv wrote:As someone pointed out it is called "double march"

Not really Shiv ji. I studied in 2 different convent schools (1-6, 7-10). At the 1st school I learnt the difference between them and we actually undertook the different matches for the annual sports days. All the students had to learn to march the different types, and in sync with the marching team!
In the second school there was hardly any marching practise. Only quick march was used on annual sports days by a selected few in the marching contingent.

So I would say it boils down to employment by the school, especially by their respective PT instructors.

Ironically, the second school was more accomplished in sports while the first hardly had competent sports teams.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

KiranM wrote:
shiv wrote:As someone pointed out it is called "double march"

Not really Shiv ji. I studied in 2 different convent schools (1-6, 7-10). At the 1st school I learnt the difference between them and we actually undertook the different matches for the annual sports days..
I did not mention that. My own school was what is now called a "convent school" but was (and is) a British-Ishtyle public school with a physical training system like the Maratha Light Infantry regimental center and ex-Army PT instructors.

For all the criticism we see of "Macaulayite education" on here some of these schools imparted a deep sense of nationalism and patriotism. Apart from generating material for the NDA.
soutikghosh
BRFite

Post by soutikghosh »

Not related to Indian armed forces, but just think about the aircrafts in this pic. Just change the colour and assume it to be a PAF's F-16 chased by IAF's SU-30

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/5434 ... nioxh2.jpg
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

Raveen
BRFite

Post by Raveen »

Raja Bose wrote:
maz wrote:Know your army at Jalandar Cantt

http://flickr.com/photos/gopal1035/arch ... 009/01/14/
aah...seeing the little chap in the pics exploring all the army equipment brings back memories. As a kid every time the India International Trade Fair took place at Pragati Maidan in Delhi, while females of the family would go to whatever state pavilions to get useless bargains, my father would take me to the area behind the Defence pavilion, where the army would always have a couple of T-72s, BMPs, Indra RADAR and a few support vehicles apart from small arms, mortars etc. on display. I always got to chat with the jawans manning the displays and they would always graciouslly let me sit on the tank commander's seat or crawl into the tight confines of a BMP-2 and patiently answer all the questions a 7-8 year old could have about those fighting machines. Once I caused a bit of scare when I scampered all the way to the front of a BMP into the driver's seat :mrgreen: I remember the defence pavilion used to have a Gnat in the front (later moved to the back) and a Vijayanta. Later on when I was old enough to ride a bus without getting killed, I would take bus route 764 to Palam AF museum a lot. After befriending some of the AF guys who looked after the displays, got to crawl into some of the fuselages and cockpits (anybody ever been inside a fuselage of a Su-7?!). Sure miss those simple pleasures.

--- Added Later ---
From Jagan's site I notice that the Gnat has been pole mounted...earlier it used to stand on its own legs. Perhaps Pragati Maidan officials couldnot keep up with 'maintainance' of the tires...they used to have a deflated look even waay back!

I have been inside the fuselage of a Su-7 multiple times...my high school had one as a static dislay with Dunlop tires made in India..
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

shiv wrote:
rkhanna wrote:Wouldnt catch Delta, SAS or KSK doing this.. Honestly these Soviet Era Parades are getting a bit silly.
This is my take on this issue. No more on this thread from me.
the silliness perhaps is attributed 'cause of the association with piglets.
kaangeya
BRFite

Post by kaangeya »

[quote][i]Indian Army Chief Gen. Deepak Kapoor presents a bar signifying the second Sena Medal (Gallantry) to Major Longjam Jimkelly Meetei during Army Day celebrations in New Delhi on Thursday.[/i][/quote]

Not to miss the smartly turned out Lady Officer holding the salver for Gen. Kapoor :mrgreen: