Newbie Corner & Military Miscellaneous

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Sid
BRFite

Re: Newbie Corner & Military Miscellaneous

Post by Sid »

KV Rao wrote:Of course this is what I too believe, but again, is there some documented (in any form) statement or observation that lays out this policy or practice? What about things like halal meat for muslim soldiers?
You (ofcourse) wont get documentation on which food should be served to which type of soldier.

As far as i remember food is prepared in common "lunger" for all (veg/non-veg) and meat is also prepared in lungers (not sourced from shops) as that is part of allocated ration. I cant remember if they serve special jhatka/halal but if someone asks for specific treatment he/she is not given that. It all depends on your lunger cook, like how he wanna prepare it. You get whatever is prepared there. If you say no you are welcome to cook your own.

If you are thinking that there is discrimination based on religion in IA or any other force then you are dead wrong.
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

Gurus, whats that matchbox like gadget at the end of the barrel? what is is used for?
kobe
BRFite

Post by kobe »

Dear Forum Gurus and Maha Gurus:

It seems the following is happening:

In the subject forums (LCA, MRCA, Kaveri etc), newbies, oldbies, etc write whatever they want, (for example personal opinion on subjects they don't know much about).

Is it hard to explain to forumites that they should only:
- write concrete data or news with reference
- not write personal opinions
- not write conjecture, guesswork, and outright stupidity

(for example one guy wrote if Laser weapons will work in cloudy conditions)
(for example people guessing who should win the MRCA contract - one wrote "Grippen will not make it to final round")

It is not sufficient to weed out "trollers" and "de-railers", but also
non-experts who should not be writing mumbo-jumbo.

I can give you more examples from currently active forums, but I am sure you being Guru's, know what I mean.

I am only urging this to bring the discussion to a higher quality level and give the informed more bandwidth and un-informed the boot.

Thank you
AmitR
BRFite

Post by AmitR »

Nayak wrote:I think we need to post all miscellaneous questions here.

Even though I have been lurking on BR for the last 6 years, I am still very wet behind the ears when it comes to military matters.

There are many diggajs here who can share their knowledge with us noobs.

With a Hail to Hanumanjee (and a tribute to PeeArrEff adminullahs) I am starting this thread.

Please do not derail other threads and consolidate your questions here.
Rahul.
I agree. I am a newbie myself to this site, although i have good understanding of military systems.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

kobe, thanks for the post.

as you have rightly understood, the idea of the forums is to discuss within the realms of reality.

in the earlier days, BR used to have a big gang of experts who would have persisted with an errant n00b (I certainly don't mean that all new members are n00bs or vice versa for that matter)
to make him see the light and that experience, while sometimes quite harrowing for the person( :twisted: ) usually gave him a better perspective on things.

IOW, BRF mil forum was a frightening place, when I signed up (after lurking for about 5 years !), it took me enormous courage to post here, that too in the scenarios thread, where I figured people would be a little forgiving. :-o
all this after following military affairs for half a decade and reading virtually *ALL* military related news items that came out in India since the early 80's !!

now, these oldies didn't wait for mods to show up and bring things under control, they had their own sense of responsibility did it come what may, day in and day out, consequences be damned.
one reason why they could do the job of keeping BR sane could be that BR grew with these people and they understood it's pulse as well as their own, only better !
unfortunately, most of them have gotten to be too busy with their lives to participate regularly, if at all. you'll probably remember the names -- GJ, JC, rakall even JaiS is rarely seen these days.
and I'm sure I've missed a number of equally adroit members.

I'm sure there are still people have similar level of knowledge and understanding but are perhaps hesitant to be more assertive, probably because of lack of understanding of how BR works.

at the end of the day it comes to this simple fact, a forum is as good as its members and if you feel some member is violating the basic tenets, don't hesitate to go ahead and tell him/her what you really think on the issue.

cheers !!
kobe
BRFite

Post by kobe »

i do remember the names,
actually i thought i saw
JC in the cockpit of the F16 picture
someone posted in the MRCS thread

anyway, just to be picky about this:

eight types of members here (and there are sub-types)

1) newbie and non-experts
2) newbie and experts
3) oldie and non-experts
4) oldie and experts
5) mid-bies and mid experts (<-- the most dangerous and annoying types)
6) mid-bies and non experts
7) trollers, spies, bots
8) gurus, mahagurus, secret gurus..
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

DMurphy, it is probably the EM devices used as training aid. this pic is from a training exercise with the brits IIRC.
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

^^
ya it is the laser designator thats used during training exercises

those black hemispheres on the helmet and chest register hits recived from the laser
Hari
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Hari »

Can Anyone tell me how to join Army Aviation corps. This is for one of my friends who cleared PABT now going for Army SSB
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

IIRC, you can not directly opt for AAC from the IMA. It is open for all officers from all arms in the IA with non-medical background, 2years service and ofcourse, clearing of the PABT. So your freind will go to IMA, opt for a arm and then volunteer for AAC.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

in continuation of my earlier post.

an example of what is needed.
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 58#p611158
Nikhil T
BRFite

Post by Nikhil T »

Can someone confirm whether the follow-on order for 29 MiG-29K/KUBs has been inked ?? I've heard people saying it was sealed in Dec.

Also, how many of these 29 birds are for the ADS being built at Cochin? Thanks,
AmitR
BRFite

Post by AmitR »

Does anyone else beside me think that the BR site needs a better design :idea: . It looks very old and dated with the 90s swooshy, curvy design of 800x600 resolution. I believe BR should migrate to the wider web 2.O clean design with minimum art and more css control. I can take take this up but not sure where to start. :D
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

amit, do you mean the mainsite ?
Jagan is looking for some volunteers I believe. email him if you are interested.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

Dmurphy wrote:Gurus, whats that matchbox like gadget at the end of the barrel? what is is used for?
Laser pointer?
AmitR
BRFite

Post by AmitR »

Rahul M wrote:amit, do you mean the mainsite ?
Jagan is looking for some volunteers I believe. email him if you are interested.
Yes the main site. The forum design is pretty standard so no point changing that.
abhik
BRF Oldie

Post by abhik »

Hi guys,I'm new here(though I've been lurking here for an embarrassingly long time :oops: ).
I know BRF has a very long list of rules and guidelines but i completely respect and understand their rational(now i have been reading BRF for more than 2 years!).
Hope I fit in & cheers!
p_saggu
BRFite

Post by p_saggu »

What do fighters do if they have to land back on the carrier with a heavy weapons load still on the pylons?
Do they just junk all that expensive maal into the sea? :eek:
Is this why now russian missiles are tube launched? Even the ones carried on aircraft - the Air launched Klubs are shown being launched off a tube while fired off an aircraft.

Are these missiles recoverable and reusable?

Will the length of the landing strip on the ADS have any bearing on the landing loads of the NLCA? I think it will affect the landing speed.
Akshut
BRFite

Post by Akshut »

AmitR wrote:Does anyone else beside me think that the BR site needs a better design :idea: . It looks very old and dated with the 90s swooshy, curvy design of 800x600 resolution. I believe BR should migrate to the wider web 2.O clean design with minimum art and more css control. I can take take this up but not sure where to start. :D

You just took the words from my mouth. I think BR really needs a make-over.

All BRites talk about modernization and upgradation of Armed forces day in and day out, but what about the upgradation of Indian Armed Forces' best web forum? :?:

So Mods, plz, listen to your janta's demands. And give your janta an assurance of a world class modern forum interface, just like Babus and Neta-jis do.

Taanku.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

saggu ji, that's the general idea if total weight crossed the safe limit. but I think for all munitions that will be in regular use the fuel dumping feature will suffice.

akshut, sorry to disappoint you, forum look is not going to change nor is amit talking about it. :)

FYI, there are limited options of styles available from the board preferences link in the user ctrl panel.you can try them out.
Akshut
BRFite

Post by Akshut »

Rahul M wrote: akshut, sorry to disappoint you, forum look is not going to change nor is amit talking about it. :)

Ji Maaibaap.

Saaheb hum zada nai maangte, bas 1 desh ka jhanda hi daal do smilies mei. Koshish karna huzoor.

Jai Ram ji ki.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

arre bhai yeh maibaap wala baat chhoro. :)

forum SW was updated a few months back and this one is quite modern but may be not in looks. if you think there's a problem with the interface I suggest the site suggestion and feedback thread.

now what may be modern for young turks might be eyesores for us old foggies ! :wink:

btw, the smiley thing you are looking for are add-ons.
you can use this one if you want.
but please don't overdo it.

regards.
KiranM
BRFite

Post by KiranM »

Rahul M wrote:kobe, thanks for the post.

as you have rightly understood, the idea of the forums is to discuss within the realms of reality.

in the earlier days, BR used to have a big gang of experts who would have persisted with an errant n00b (I certainly don't mean that all new members are n00bs or vice versa for that matter)
to make him see the light and that experience, while sometimes quite harrowing for the person( :twisted: ) usually gave him a better perspective on things.
I think the issue of 'grooming' the newbies (in terms of quality posts) can be addressed by giving posting rights only on the condition of clearing rigorous tests based on BR guidelines. :wink:

Though I am sure I will be the first chap to flunk and have my posting rights revoked. :D

BTW what is up with JCage? Where is he? Why is he absent from BR? Though have been lurking for over 6 years, was out of loop with BR for few months in between, when many things seemed to have changed.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

Sid wrote:
KV Rao wrote:Of course this is what I too believe, but again, is there some documented (in any form) statement or observation that lays out this policy or practice? What about things like halal meat for muslim soldiers?
You (ofcourse) wont get documentation on which food should be served to which type of soldier.

As far as i remember food is prepared in common "lunger" for all (veg/non-veg) and meat is also prepared in lungers (not sourced from shops) as that is part of allocated ration. I cant remember if they serve special jhatka/halal but if someone asks for specific treatment he/she is not given that. It all depends on your lunger cook, like how he wanna prepare it. You get whatever is prepared there. If you say no you are welcome to cook your own.

If you are thinking that there is discrimination based on religion in IA or any other force then you are dead wrong.
If I understand you correctly, special religious meals such as halal may be provided depending on how practical it is. Failing which, the soldier can be given the ingredients from which he can do his own cooking, is that correct? But since halal involves a specific way of killing the animal, and not just specific way of cooking, that would mean it would be problematic to obtain halal meat, would that be a fair way to put it?

I am only trying to understand the facts of the situation, after having read some allegations by someone whom I consider to be a fanatic and a traitor.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

soldiers are frequently provided live meat.
AmitR
BRFite

Post by AmitR »

AmitR wrote:
Rahul M wrote:amit, do you mean the mainsite ?
Yes the main site. The forum design is pretty standard so no point changing that.
How do I send e-mail. I tried the personal message but was stone walled.
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

Rahul M wrote:soldiers are frequently provided live meat.
Uhh...what? :-?
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

AmitR wrote: How do I send e-mail. I tried the personal message but was stone walled.
Thats a right reserved by the adminullahs, doled out only to goat eating abduls. :D
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Akshut wrote:
AmitR wrote:Does anyone else beside me think that the BR site needs a better design :idea: . It looks very old and dated with the 90s swooshy, curvy design of 800x600 resolution. I believe BR should migrate to the wider web 2.O clean design with minimum art and more css control. I can take take this up but not sure where to start. :D

You just took the words from my mouth. I think BR really needs a make-over.

All BRites talk about modernization and upgradation of Armed forces day in and day out, but what about the upgradation of Indian Armed Forces' best web forum? :?:

So Mods, plz, listen to your janta's demands. And give your janta an assurance of a world class modern forum interface, just like Babus and Neta-jis do.

Taanku.
Sure guys, if anyone has good ideas about the main page - please email in. What you can do is design the page and send me a screen shot. Essentially the front page elements will be the same as the current page, it should run off PHP. you can add some components if you think will fit in there better.

Also anyone with joomla 1.5 template expertise - your help is very much needed.

you can send us an email to webmasterATbharat-rakshakDOTcom
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

Dmurphy wrote:
Rahul M wrote:soldiers are frequently provided live meat.
Uhh...what? :-?
Yes indeed. I remember the stories about live goat parachute drops from AN-12s in the Laddakh region and what happened to those goats after they landed etc...
AmitR
BRFite

Post by AmitR »

Jagan wrote: Sure guys, if anyone has good ideas about the main page - please email in. What you can do is design the page and send me a screen shot. Essentially the front page elements will be the same as the current page, it should run off PHP. you can add some components if you think will fit in there better.

Also anyone with joomla 1.5 template expertise - your help is very much needed.

you can send us an email to webmasterATbharat-rakshakDOTcom
Let me take a stab at it. Be warned I will be slow as I have a full time job. Maybe we will get it done before IAF inducts the LCA :mrgreen:
jaladipc
BRFite

Post by jaladipc »

this might be an amateur question,but really want to put it here.

If one goes to the past and digg the history abt the past rulers and kingdoms,

consider the Maurya first of all which is ~ 320BC.And the estimated population at that time was around 50 million(kingdom population) which ofcourse is 1/3 of the world population at that time.

And they did maintained a strong army of 500,000-600,000 infantry some 80,000 cavalry and ~10,000 war elephants under the great Chanakya-Chandragupta....

Now we are a population of 1.12 billion and still peddling with 1.2 million active personal ,while facing moronic enemies on all 3 sides one having a half million personal and other with 2.25 active personal and last but not the least with some handsome quarter million personal.

If a serious war is to happen and if all these 3 join hands with a strong pestilence in mind, we would be facing an enemy who is 3-4 times stronger than us and attacking us on all sides at the same point of time.

Just forget the foreign help in this case, and wot are the chances of survival for the great civilization?

And if we do increase the quantity along with quality of our numbers to 2 million active and 1 million reserve ,wot would be the needed budget? and the available options if not feasible?
AmitR
BRFite

Post by AmitR »

jaladipc wrote:this might be an amateur question,but really want to put it here.

If one goes to the past and digg the history abt the past rulers and kingdoms,

consider the Maurya first of all which is ~ 320BC.And the estimated population at that time was around 50 million(kingdom population) which ofcourse is 1/3 of the world population at that time.

And they did maintained a strong army of 500,000-600,000 infantry some 80,000 cavalry and ~10,000 war elephants under the great Chanakya-Chandragupta....

Now we are a population of 1.12 billion and still peddling with 1.2 million active personal ,while facing moronic enemies on all 3 sides one having a half million personal and other with 2.25 active personal and last but not the least with some handsome quarter million personal.

If a serious war is to happen and if all these 3 join hands with a strong pestilence in mind, we would be facing an enemy who is 3-4 times stronger than us and attacking us on all sides at the same point of time.

Just forget the foreign help in this case, and wot are the chances of survival for the great civilization?

And if we do increase the quantity along with quality of our numbers to 2 million active and 1 million reserve ,wot would be the needed budget? and the available options if not feasible?
Military strength is based not on just strategic priorities it has many other dimensions also. The most important being cost. To maintain an army of 2 million Indian will have to spend almost double the amount of money. And having more soldiers in this age of stealth , WMDs and cruise missiles add little value. We need more men on the ground to hold territory but not at the cost of making the country bankrupt. Look at our Faki neighbours from the west, they are in arms race with India unmindful of their economies shattered condition. They would have collapsed had it not being for the alms received from IMF and USA.
Nandan D
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Nandan D »

Do Indian Su-30MKIs have thrust vectoring capability?
AmitR
BRFite

Post by AmitR »

Nandan D wrote:Do Indian Su-30MKIs have thrust vectoring capability?
Yes MKI has 2-dimensional thrust vectoring control (TVC). :D
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

Sid wrote:

Religion and food habits is dependant on the troop composition and which community or religion is predominant.

In Muslim majority regiments, as in some Grenadier units, it is hallal meat.

The rice/ atta issue is also on the unit concerned. In a Madras Regiment unit, rice is in a greater proportion.

For vegetarians, there is milk.

For Muslims, they take egg in lieu of meat since you don't have to hallal an egg.

And interestingly, there are alcohol drinkers amongst Muslim in the Army, who sign up as drinkers!

IA is secular.

On the posts, where one got Meat on Hoof, you had to slaughter the lamb/ goat yourself. Most of the time, by the manner it was slaughtered, it became hallal. Who cared?

Mutton is Mutton!.

My troops are Buddhists and they are not supposed to kill. And yet we slaughter the Meat on Hoof and ate it!

Religion is confined to the Sunday Mandir Parade!
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Nandan D wrote:Do Indian Su-30MKIs have thrust vectoring capability?
Their pilots certainly do :wink:
Makes for happy SHQs :D
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

KV Rao wrote:
Sid wrote: quote="KV Rao" Of course this is what I too believe, but again, is there some documented (in any form) statement or observation that lays out this policy or practice? What about things like halal meat for muslim soldiers?

If I understand you correctly, special religious meals such as halal may be provided depending on how practical it is. Failing which, the soldier can be given the ingredients from which he can do his own cooking, is that correct? But since halal involves a specific way of killing the animal, and not just specific way of cooking, that would mean it would be problematic to obtain halal meat, would that be a fair way to put it?

I am only trying to understand the facts of the situation, after having read some allegations by someone whom I consider to be a fanatic and a traitor.[/quote]

Guys,

All dressed meat procured by the govt of India, including the Forces, is halal meat by long standing public policy.

Meat on the hoof ( live ) is provided in some special cases, mainly dictated by circumstances and storage facilities.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

RayC wrote:
Sid wrote: quote="KV Rao" Of course this is what I too believe, but again, is there some documented (in any form) statement or observation that lays out this policy or practice? What about things like halal meat for muslim soldiers?

Religion and food habits is dependant on the troop composition and which community or religion is predominant.

In Muslim majority regiments, as in some Grenadier units, it is hallal meat.

The rice/ atta issue is also on the unit concerned. In a Madras Regiment unit, rice is in a greater proportion.

For vegetarians, there is milk.

For Muslims, they take egg in lieu of meat since you don't have to hallal an egg.

And interestingly, there are alcohol drinkers amongst Muslim in the Army, who sign up as drinkers!

IA is secular.

On the posts, where one got Meat on Hoof, you had to slaughter the lamb/ goat yourself. Most of the time, by the manner it was slaughtered, it became hallal. Who cared?

Mutton is Mutton!.

My troops are Buddhists and they are not supposed to kill. And yet we slaughter the Meat on Hoof and ate it!

Religion is confined to the Sunday Mandir Parade![/quote]

RayC ji,

http://www.hinduwebsite.com/buddhism/vegetarianism.asp

Meat eating in Buddhism

By Jayaram V

Meat eating was not prohibited in the early days of Buddhism. Even today meat eating is not prohibited by many schools of Buddhism. The early Buddhists accepted meat as they moved from place to place begging for food. Over a period of time detailed rules and regulations have been created to regulated the types of food a Buddhist monk can partake as food.

The early Buddhists believed that as long as the animal was not killed by oneself, or by ones orders or when it was not done for the purpose of pure pleasure, eating certain types of animal meat was not in contradiction with the principle of compassion for all living beings. However certain types of meat was not allowed even when these conditions were satisfied.
jaladipc
BRFite

Post by jaladipc »

If indian can master the technology of ramjet for akash SAM with a speed of >mach 2.5 then why not the same can be implemented for brahmos?

A re-designed ramjet can serve the purpose instead of standing at the ruskies door for the TOT.

how difficult is it for us to design an enlarged version of ramjet for use in cruise missile?

It does ofcourse makes sense that if S-A reaches a speed of mach 2.5 then it should cruise more during its horizontal flight where g is constant as not in the case of surface to air flight.

it means a modified S-S ramjet should go theoritically and practically more than 2.5 mach with the same specifications right?

added later:

and how does it sound adding a radiation seeker to akash instead of the regular one and using it as a ARM?
With its weight of 700kg, almost all the A/C in IAF inventory can easily carry the missile.
Think abt this........if the range of a missile in surface to air mode is 25-35km, then obviously its range should be atleast double in air to ground mode.

It does makes sense having an ARM with a range of ~80km and that too reaching target with more than 2.5 mach. and busting all the radars :D

If we cant master the radiation seeker, then we can get TOT for the harpy seekers from ISrael :)