BR Forums Feedback

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Re: Site Suggestions & Forum Feedback

Post by SSridhar »

Yogi_G wrote:Mods, I need permission to start a thread on "Indian mannerism and Stereotypes" in the technology and economic forum. Please advise...
You may start one but its continuation is another matter :wink:
ticky
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ticky »

The forum is its previous avataar had a sticky/thread listing/showing forum members who had been warned or disciplinary action taken against them. I believe that was very good idea which should be continued here. Publicly shaming or pulling up errant members will have a deterrent effect on others from stepping out of line.

I am bringing this up because just a short while back there was a very offensive post in a thread which was edited by the mods. I don't know whether the poster has been warned or not. But, I sure would love to see justice being done and done publicly.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

ticky, that public telling off isn't a very good idea. too talibanesque if you get what I mean.

previously, the forum SW wasn't developed enough to handle the information for which that thread was a necessary evil.
ticky
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ticky »

^^^ OK there's merit in the point.
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

Allo allo allo sweet admins,

Any khabar on the number of citizenettes registered here on PeeArrEff ?

I am tired of sharing my jhopad-patti only with bearded, unshaven, unwashed abduls, the pyaar and shaadi dhaaga also has only geriartic folks dishing out racist opinions.

Aaadab and many shukriyas.
KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by KrishG »

I want to start a new thread called "Indian military Exports". Can I start one ?
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

You expect to update that thread every two years or so?
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

often videos posted here are accompanied with note that the meat starts only from so and so minute

so instead of making people download the previous lenght of the video also, you can acatually make the youtube video start right from the portion where the interesting bit starts

it can be done by adding this bit of character after the original URL

#t=XmYs

where replace X with the time in minute and Y with the time in second from where you want to start the video

for example the video posted in this post we are told that the real thing begins from 1min 57 seconds

so at the end of the video url, you could just add #t=1m57s
original video
[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=8R_3vmViFrw& ... =rec-HM-rn[/youtube]

video download and bufferring start directly from 1min 57sec
[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=8R_3vmViFrw& ... rn#t=1m57s[/youtube]

the video will start buffering only from that part of time, saving some bandwidth

thx
vipins
BRFite

Post by vipins »

Mods,How can I change my BRF handle? I want it as 'vipin'
TIA

Sorry, already exists. Choose one that is not there by browsing the memberlist.
Rahul.
nitinr
BRFite -Trainee

Post by nitinr »

Same as above. Would like to change my ID to nitinr. Any possibility..

Done,
Rahul.
vipins
BRFite

Post by vipins »

Mods,How can I change my BRF handle? I want it as 'vipin'
TIA

Sorry, already exists. Choose one that is not there by browsing the memberlist.
Rahul.
Thanks,this one is ok.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Guys; are the links on IA history page broken? On firefox I keep going back to the same page!!

:eek: :shock:

trouble starts from link to first Kashmir war
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/LAND-FORC ... &Itemid=26#

the page itself is
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/LAND-FORC ... &Itemid=26
nitinr
BRFite -Trainee

Post by nitinr »

Thanks Rahul..
Ramesh
BRFite

Post by Ramesh »

Mods,
Can we have a seperate thread for Artillery please. As of now it gets dwarfed in armour related discussions and the perpetual debate of arjun.
Thank you.
darshhan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshhan »

Mods.I need to start a thread about cyberwarfare "Cyberwarfare and its implications on India".It is very important topic and has been ignored till now.Please advise.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

ashu, that's a good idea. could you start one ?
I will see if I can move relevant posts from the older thread and change the current arty and armour thread to armour only.

darshan, you can of course start one but after that darwinism will take over.

have you done enough homework to jumpstart at least a couple of pages worth of discussions ?
is there enough information publicly available to discuss from an Indian POV ?

if you answer yes to the above, go ahead and start it. I'm sure if the first post has enough meat people won't IB4TL it.
darshhan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshhan »

Thanks Rahul.
Tilak
BRFite

Post by Tilak »

X-Posting :
ramana wrote:I know the main job of most of the jngoes here is software.

I was wondering if some of you can band together and create an entity relationship mapping front end engine using Google or Ask databases? The more business savy among you can even license this to google or others!

What I am thinkig of is a front end like muckety.com which is unfortunatley limited to their database.

To my simple mind what has to be done is to rearrange the data searches from a backend data engine like google and dispaly it in a entity relationship diagram. So you need a whole lot of servers for backend.
You can license this to companies to enable them to utilize their internal data.

All this is part of knowledge management.
WRT. your question about ER diagrams and MindMaps, check out WikiMindMap (Needs Flash Version. 9 plugin installed ) which uses a wiki(Wikipedia) as a backend for data. And its mindmaps are searchable within/ exportable (freemind).
HELP:

A click on the following symols help you to browse the mindmap:

Text : Clicking on the text will bring you to the corresponding position in the Wiki.
Reload : This symbol brings the reated topic to the center and makes it the main topic.
-> : This brings you to a non Wiki web page
WikiMindMap Software Download : http://www.wikimindmap.org/getWikiMindMap.htm#os

----

PS: It would be great if the admins of BR take the intitiave to start a Wiki(Wikipedia : free software) and adopt a more comprehensive solution for maintaing content on the site, or through a Open Source CMS like Joomla/Drupal( Digg plugin ~look and feel for stories with voting), Yahoo has Pipes BTW. and contrary to what people have written, Google API(checkout --> Google Base Data API) is freely available.

It all boils down, to not keeping the data/knowledge on the site confined to phpbb forums and webpages/posts. As we all know by know, it is very hard to get people to participate and to find an active community. :roll:

PPS: Web-based mind mapping applications (Section 1)
Ramesh
BRFite

Post by Ramesh »

Thank you Rahul.
One more question:
How can i cross post the artillery related discussion from the artillery and armour thread?
Regards
KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by KrishG »

Mods, we don't even have a thread for Environment Protection in India. There must be a place to discuss about Project Tiger, poaching and how wildlife diversity in India is vanishing. I would recommend a new forum for the topic.

We have military issues forum, Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum and Technology & Economic Forum. But we have left an issue which is of equal importance.

'Bharat Rakshak' means protectors of India. Protection of India also corresponds to protection it's ecological diversity. A place to discuss about pollution in the Ganges, Project Tiger etc etc etc must be of utmost importance.

So, I would like to request the forum mods for this new forum or atleast a thread.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

thanks ashu, that would be great.

tell me when you are done, I'll remove the arty posts from the old thread and make it a purely armour one.
regards.

krish, I've some interest on this topic too. could you go to the tech forum and start something on the lines of "bio-diversity and environmental protection" ??
but before you do please check if such a thread already exists.
thanks.
KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by KrishG »

But, would one thread be enough for so many topics ?? Can't we get a new 4th forum for all these topics ??

No offense in starting a new thread but I wonder if Tech forum is the right place. No current forum is rightly placed for that topic. Hence, I asked if we could get a 4th forum. Thanks.
Ramesh
BRFite

Post by Ramesh »

Rahul,
I have x-posted all artillery related posts from armour and artillery thread to artillery thread.
You can rename it as armour thread. Indian artillery thread can also be renamed as Artillery thread.
Regards,
Thank you.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

thanks a lot Ashu. I've renamed the thread.
KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by KrishG »

Please ForumAdmin or Mods respond. No current forum is rightly placed for that Environmental disussion . Hence, I asked if we could get a 4th forum. Thanks.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

krish, I've already told you, create a thread if you want and discuss everything there.
have you browsed through the econ forum ? environment/bio-diversity would be quite in place there.

BR is primarily a military/strategic oriented forum and a 4th forum on environment alone is not possible.
there are many other fields that are important too, that doesn't mean BR can/should dedicate whole forums to those.
regards.
p_saggu
BRFite

Post by p_saggu »

Why can't the forum pages show the time of the posts according to my local time?
For example it is now 4:15 AM here in Tora Bora where I am located along with OBL and Mullah Omar, as we surf through BRF.
These worthies find it difficult deciphering the times. To add UTC + 5 hours everytime is painful.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

p_saggu wrote:Why can't the forum pages show the time of the posts according to my local time?
For example it is now 4:15 AM here in Tora Bora where I am located along with OBL and Mullah Omar, as we surf through BRF.
These worthies find it difficult deciphering the times. To add UTC + 5 hours everytime is painful.
feature already there - go to User Control Panel link http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/ucp.php and then to Board Preferences http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/ucp.php?i=165 then set your time zone
AmitR
BRFite

Post by AmitR »

Can we have categorized topics for easier navigation. For example, we can have Indian Airforce Board with LCA, MCA, SU-30 etc under it. This will make it really easy to find specific information.
kidoman
BRFite

Post by kidoman »

Guys,
Our Brother forum IDF which had been hijacked by porkis is back , albeit a new name.

http://www.newdelhireview.com/

I can show my middle finger to those porkis now. :) :) :)
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

kidoman wrote:Guys,
Our Brother forum IDF which had been hijacked by porkis is back , albeit a new name.

http://www.newdelhireview.com/

I can show my middle finger to those porkis now. :) :) :)
You better remove it and repost it some other thread
K Mehta
BRFite

Post by K Mehta »

I dunno if this is possible, but can this new post button removed from every thread? It leads to lot of IB4TL competitions.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I wonder if we should have an auto counter to tally every time a member posts an IB4TL. After say 10 he gets a warning. 8)
KiranM
BRFite

Post by KiranM »

^^^ I am sure we clever SDRE Yindoos will circumvent that by posting something like Eye Be Four Tee El :mrgreen:
Srivastav
BRFite

Post by Srivastav »

ramana wrote:I wonder if we should have an auto counter to tally every time a member posts an IB4TL. After say 10 he gets a warning. 8)
Ramana Sir, some confusion here ....do you mean the perpetrator who starts a new thread or perpetrator(s) who post IB4TL there. :D
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

The one who posts the IB4TL. Can be manually implemented on lazy days!
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

Well looks like aero india BR stall did get some attention. 50 guests viewing
Nikhil T
BRFite

Post by Nikhil T »

Admins/Rahul

Can we have a separate thread for discussing the 35% increase in defence budget ?? Other things that could be of significance would be the overspending by 14,000 crore in the 2008 year as opposed to several BR discussions and DDM reports of projected underspending by 4,000 cr in 2008. Also a link to
Defence budget raised by 35%
Army gets maximum increase in budget

would help. Also, Army has got increases worth 10,000 cr while Navy has done with about 288 crore and IAF with 1100 crore only! All this and more anomalies ...
Avinash R
BRFite

Post by Avinash R »

Nikhil T wrote:Also, Army has got increases worth 10,000 cr while Navy has done with about 288 crore and IAF with 1100 crore only! All this and more anomalies ...
Nikhil that is not an anomaly. The personnel in IA are more than both IN and IAF combined together. And not to forgot IA is currently fighting against a proxy war on two fronts. The expenditure on men and material during these operations is considerable.