Aero India 2009

rakall
BRFite

Re: Aero India 2009

Post by rakall »

k prasad wrote:
merlin wrote:4. BEL - follow on to SV 2000 in testing.
It is called the XV2004.... is meant for fixed wing a/c and helos. It has already been installed on a dornier.
and will be on Rustom..

k prasad wrote:
I sure do wonder why they stopped you from taken pix from below.... if it was a lady scientist, then it may have had nothing to do with the model itself :twisted:.

from some of the pics that BRfites posted -- did you see the intakes? they have put a piece of paper in the intakes to block the view.. Apparently they dont want us to notice that it has S-shaped intake !!! :rotfl:
rakall
BRFite

Post by rakall »

k prasad wrote:
rakall wrote:
With drop tanks or internal fuel? If that is with droptanks - which ones, 1200lt or 800lt?

My (conservative) estimation says that range is with 2 * 800lts drop tanks.. with 2 * 1200lt drop tanks we should get another 22mins = 325km..
Drop tanks.... we have only integrated 800lt ones as of now, so that was what was used. ....

1200lt droptanks have been integrated.. I dont know if they are using them ferry flights or not.. but they have definitely integrated 1200lt droptanks.. see this picture

k prasad wrote:[

P.S.... have I added a report on my talk with the Gripen ppl??? I have added about rafale, but anyone reembers if I have added about gripen??? If not, I'll add....
No.. you have not added Gripen updates.. Go ahead..

you still have to update on Dr.Revankar's talk.. Dr.Varadarjan's presentation.. and some more confidential stuff (plz check your mail).
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Any further news/discussions about the Hawk support problems and the thinking in the corridors of air power that the LCA trainer would be a better bet to build than buying the full numbers of Hawk on option? This is an interesting point,because a few years ago,some senior air boffins said that we should've developed a jet trainer first and then progressed onto a strike fighter (LCA)! Another very cost-effective option is that Pilatus turboprop trainer that can do whatever an IJT can.

I still can't see where the MCA is going to fit in,with the 5th-gen fighter arriving first with one supposes all the capabilities of the MCA.The wind tunnel model looked interesting though.From reports,the ADA is sulking at being left out of the 5th-gen project (gone to HAL) and looks as if it wants to produce a design to compete with the PAKFA.Designing and developing a UCAV of the likes of the X-47B,which is going to fly soon and be operated from USN carriers (a revolution in naval airwarfare),would be to me of far greater importance.A stealthy UCAV of that size could perform the role of a dedicated bomber too with terrific penetration capabilities of enemy air space.If this also came in a STOVL configuration,it would be very attractive.
prasadha
BRFite -Trainee

Post by prasadha »

Hi Philip

I am a fan of your replies. But, I feel there seems to be a monotonous pattern to your responses. To all indigenous efforts, you seem to come up with some other option and say that this would have been better than what is being done now. You seem to have introduced Pilatus into the discussion which has no relevance to whatever is being discussed. This is not the first time you introduce a completely irrelevant product quoting that as an option.

Maybe, you are trying to provide an alternate view or is it just that you can't post without being cynical and skeptical. Maybe, I am missing the point.

Thanks for your understanding and leaving this thread alone.

Regards

Prasad
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Philip wrote: Another very cost-effective option is that Pilatus turboprop trainer that can do whatever an IJT can.
No it cant!. The Pilatus and the Embraer Tucano are used for basic training.! And in any case , they are talking about replacing the Hawk, an AJT ,with an LCA trainer. The LCA trainer will be pitched against the T-50 Golden Hawk, and not really the Hawk and the Pilatus.
rakall
BRFite

Post by rakall »

vina wrote:
Philip wrote: Another very cost-effective option is that Pilatus turboprop trainer that can do whatever an IJT can.
No it cant!. The Pilatus and the Embraer Tucano are used for basic training.! And in any case , they are talking about replacing the Hawk, an AJT ,with an LCA trainer. The LCA trainer will be pitched against the T-50 Golden Hawk, and not really the Hawk and the Pilatus.

Vina - could you please scan/photograph and post the relevant pages from vayu - the issue that had details on LCA ferry to Leh?? Also pages on Mirage upgrade from 2008 vol6 -- to compare with the AI09 notes.

Meanwhile I will try to get a copy.. but dont know if i will be able to..
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Dont have a scanner /access to one. Vayu is available at Gangaram's on MG Rd , in the magazine section.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

vina wrote:
Dont have a scanner /access to one
. Vayu is available at Gangaram's on MG Rd , in the magazine section.
Should be read as "i am too lazy" :P .

Just joking
Sajith_J
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Sajith_J »

Philip wrote: I still can't see where the MCA is going to fit in,with the 5th-gen fighter arriving first with one supposes all the capabilities of the MCA.The wind tunnel model looked interesting though.From reports,the ADA is sulking at being left out of the 5th-gen project (gone to HAL) and looks as if it wants to produce a design to compete with the PAKFA.Designing and developing a UCAV of the likes of the X-47B,which is going to fly soon and be operated from USN carriers (a revolution in naval airwarfare),would be to me of far greater importance.A stealthy UCAV of that size could perform the role of a dedicated bomber too with terrific penetration capabilities of enemy air space.If this also came in a STOVL configuration,it would be very attractive.
Totally agree! I also don't see a need for a new strike fighter when the future is about cruise missiles and UCAVs. To concentrate on these technics alongside with Pak Fa would be much better for our forces.
The only way MCA with fit in IAF would be, if MRCA is going to be Jas Gripen. It's not a full medium class fighter, more somthing between LCA, and MCA. A cheap solution to our shrinking squads problem, till MCA would come. But with all the problems and delays that we face with LCA, I really don't see how they want to make a 5.th generation MCA.
vavinash
BRFite

Post by vavinash »

PAk-Fa is vaporware and may never see light of day in IAF. UCAV??? Get real, manned aircrafts will stay for a long while. The essential problem remains the engine and once that is sorted MCA shoulkd be fairly easy.
rakall
BRFite

Post by rakall »

vina wrote:Dont have a scanner /access to one. Vayu is available at Gangaram's on MG Rd , in the magazine section.

I know.. it was easier for me to get when I stayed in Indiranagar and my roommate worked on Bridgade road..

Now I live in Whitefield.. Whitefield to MG Road is like an inter-planetary transfer..Or Chandrayaan-1
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Rkl,the latst Pilatus is rated very highly and has been found to be so good as replacing the need for an IJT by some experts.Nevertheless,the issue is about the LCA trainer to replace the Hawk,which is supposedly receiving poor after-sales support.This will one suppposes also reflect in any evaluation of the Typhoon,which is an altogether different species by comparison.Imagine the IAF being saddled with a $100 million turkey iof the Typhoon's logistic support is similarly found wanting.We would be in the same boat as the Iranians were after the revolution with their F-14s.On this score,with the MIG-29 being upgraded/produced in India and the IN also going in for the 29K,coming in at a supposed price of $35-40 million is a very attractive proposition.The LCA is supposedly also going to cost around $20million+ and would be ,if truly produced at that price the foreign content notwithstanding (engines,radar and weaponry),worth acquiring several squadrons to keep the numbers healthy.

There is a great pic in an issue of Vayu of the entire MIG family in srevcie with the IAF in the skies of Pune,with the MIG-21 leading the flypast.It truly shows how small the aircraft is in comparison with the others and the obvious difficulty in detecting it,which will also be a characteristic of the LCA.
vinzsagar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by vinzsagar »

Please check out these cool photos of IAF PHALCON

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.s ... entry=true
k prasad
BRFite

Post by k prasad »

rakall wrote:
1200lt droptanks have been integrated.. I dont know if they are using them ferry flights or not.. but they have definitely integrated 1200lt droptanks.. see this picture

Are you sure?? Last I heard, I think the 1200 lt tanks had been integrated, but no fuel ops had been carried out to date. Unless that has changed in teh past month or so. Also, the underwings are the 800 lt tanks... the same board was in Singapore last year, so I'm sure on this point, since only 800 lt had been integrated then.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

k prasad wrote:
rakall wrote:

Are you sure?? Last I heard, I think the 1200 lt tanks had been integrated, but no fuel ops had been carried out to date. Unless that has changed in teh past month or so. Also, the underwings are the 800 lt tanks... the same board was in Singapore last year, so I'm sure on this point, since only 800 lt had been integrated then.

Acc to Vayu = the flight to Leh was with 2 x 1200L wing tanks. The Tejas will later get an additional 720 L centerline tank
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

does additional mean additional wet station for EFT only ?
or just that there would be an external FT on centreline pylon ?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

DRDO/CABS AEW&CS brochure

Page1
click for image

Page2
click for image

Page3
click for image

Page4
click for image

Page5
click for image

Page6
click for image

Page7
click for image
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Rahul M wrote:does additional mean additional wet station for EFT only ?
or just that there would be an external FT on centreline pylon ?
No idea
dorai
BRFite

Post by dorai »

shiv wrote:DRDO/CABS AEW&CS brochure
Good post ty.

For reference:
Erieye

192 T/R modules scanning 150 degrees on each side.

Saab says the use of new-generation radar transmit/receive modules with 60% higher output have increased the AEW range of the Erieye design
Sources
http://products.saabgroup.com/PDBWebNew ... es&Id=6491
http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/20 ... uyers.html
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

shiv wrote:DRDO/CABS AEW&CS brochure

Page1
click for image
Thanks for that, Shiv-avare...

Was about to scan and post the same.

Rahul-saar,
hope Rock-all and Prasad-ji made up for all the whines about most dull AI ever?
anishns
BRFite

Post by anishns »

Is there some truth to it or plain old DDM in action?

http://ishare.rediff.com/filevideo.php?id=573455

i.e. was that an AWACS plane from IAI
and I never heard of tata wanting to hitch a ride on the Typhoon? :rotfl:
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

dorai, our next gen t/r modules are taking shape in IITs and labs. will see full colors in about 5 years time.
Sajith_J
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Sajith_J »

vavinash wrote:PAk-Fa is vaporware and may never see light of day in IAF. UCAV??? Get real, manned aircrafts will stay for a long while. The essential problem remains the engine and once that is sorted MCA shoulkd be fairly easy.
Look at Tomahawk, Brahmos, Predator, Reaper, Mantis which are pretty real now, and X 45, nEUROn, or Mig Skat in future. Of course manned A/C will stay, but specially in case of ground strikes you won't see big numbers of bombers, or strike fighters in future, if guided missiles are cheaper and more effective.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

it is easier to cross yellow sea with ucav. its an invaluable asset to have.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Philip wrote:Rkl,the latst Pilatus is rated very highly and has been found to be so good as replacing the need for an IJT by some experts.Nevertheless,the issue is about the LCA trainer to replace the Hawk,which is supposedly receiving poor after-sales support.This will one suppposes also reflect in any evaluation of the Typhoon,which is an altogether different species by comparison.Imagine the IAF being saddled with a $100 million turkey iof the Typhoon's logistic support is similarly found wanting.We would be in the same boat as the Iranians were after the revolution with their F-14s.On this score,with the MIG-29 being upgraded/produced in India and the IN also going in for the 29K,coming in at a supposed price of $35-40 million is a very attractive proposition.The LCA is supposedly also going to cost around $20million+ and would be ,if truly produced at that price the foreign content notwithstanding (engines,radar and weaponry),worth acquiring several squadrons to keep the numbers healthy.

There is a great pic in an issue of Vayu of the entire MIG family in srevcie with the IAF in the skies of Pune,with the MIG-21 leading the flypast.It truly shows how small the aircraft is in comparison with the others and the obvious difficulty in detecting it,which will also be a characteristic of the LCA.
utter tosh. the Tucano is a prop, not a jet..the IJT is meant to make the transition from a prop basic trainer to a jet easier for pilots. its role is different, and it has already been developed mostly- any delays in its induction is thanks to Russia delaying the AL-55I engine delivery, not HAL, something you will obviously never mention.

the AJT Hawk on the other hand is a tried and tested jet that has a solid reputation, and any teething troubles related to parts supply and fleet numbers due to maintenance hiccups will eventually be overcome as most of its parts should be sourced from India itself to support such a large fleet.

its amazing how you overlook all the major obstacles India faces EVERYTIME it deals with Russia and choose to highlight the problems with the Hawk.

the fact is that the Hawk line is established and it will be more cost effective to simply build more of them rather than complicate an already muddled up line up with a new AJT derived from the Tejas. if a Tejas Trainer has to be used, then the IAF could changes its syllabus to include a Tejas LIFT (Lead in Fighter Trainer), that is separate from the AJT and train its pilots on them before assigning them to operational squadrons. currently, the Hawk qualified trainee pilots are directly moved to operational squadrons.

As for the MiG-35's cost, I think you're running far ahead of yourself. the MiG-29K cost escalation gave figures of nearly $80 million per MiG-29K, and I see no reason as to why a slightly superior MiG-35 (due to its new generation optical avionics and AESA) would be any cheaper.

regarding Typhoon, from all current reports, no customer has had any major issues with the Typhoon induction at least. and while its a majorly expensive fighter, there is little doubt about its technology being superior to that of the MiG-35, and I mean both the technology used to build it and the technology on board it. the MiG-35 may be a nimble and agile fighter, but in most respects its just a souped up MiG-29.

anyway, we'll just have to wait and see what comes up after the flight testing and technical evaluations. I'm just hoping that this isn't a L1 type tender, where the Russians show low acquisition costs initially and later on winning it, come up with ridiculous cost escalations citing unrealistically low initial prices.
dorai
BRFite

Post by dorai »

Did people suddently swing pro-Eurofighter just because Rafale didn't come to the show ?

Look back a few weeks how people talked about Eurofighter... it wasn't pretty.
A Sharma
BRFite

Post by A Sharma »

Missing planes

AERO INDIA
Commercial aircraft makers stay away ?in rough economic weather
By Ramu Patil
As fighter jets performed breathtaking manoeuvres in the skies over Bangalore, reverberations of global economic slowdown were felt on the ground. Aero India-2009, the biggest event of its kind in the country, could not escape the recession radar.

The fighter jets were competing for the $10bn Multi-Role Combat Aircraft (MRCA) deal from the Indian Air Force. While their manufacturers, accompanied by high-level delegations, from their respective countries, lobbied hard, players from the civil aviation sector were missing in action.

Said Air Marshal B.K. Pandey, former chief of IAF Training Command: "This show was completely different from the previous editions of Aero India because of the recession. It became a military-dominated show, as there was not much enthusiasm from the civil aviation sector." Commercial airlines are in no mood to go shopping for new aircraft or equipment, and manufacturers are not spending much on exhibition and advertisements. Except for a few like Embraer, civil aviation giants stayed away from the event.

"People want to conserve money for their own productive activity. That is why we miss many commercial airlines this time,'' said Dr C.G. Krishnadas Nair, former chairman of Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL). Besides, the ministry of civil aviation had organised Indian Aviation 2008, an air show exclusively for civilian aircraft, in Hyderabad last October. By then fuel prices had shot up, and "not a single deal was signed at that event, though it was a good effort and the turnout was good," said Pandey.

The aviation scene today is so bad that even Boeing is not expecting any new orders this year and is happy delivering already-placed orders. "We still see a lot of difficulties, and airlines are losing money. In fact, we are fortunate that no order has been cancelled," said Dr Dinesh A. Keskar, president, Boeing India.

Boeing, which plans to deliver 18 aircraft in 2009 to airlines including Air India, Jet Airways and SpiceJet, feels that the long-term forecast is bullish and the markets may improve by the end of the year. "The impact of recession on the Indian industry is much less than that in the United States and Europe. We hope that from October, things will change for the better," said Keskar.

Yair Ramati, vice-president, corporate marketing, Israel Aircraft Industries, feels that the civil aviation sector could be hit, but "defence spending is largely inelastic and it will not be affected." Israel has always had a large presence in the air show, and this time also it has a huge stall.

Falling oil prices and a 57 per cent reduction in aluminium prices are good news for the aviation industry. But, around 75 airlines have gone out of business in the last few years, said Ramati. He feels that spending on homeland security and low intensity conflict will go up in the near future. A top official of the Indian defence ministry concurs with Ramati's views. "Spending on internal security and unmanned aerial vehicles will increase, while fighter aircraft manufacturers could take some beating," the official said. The government has said that its defence expenditure would continue to be around 2.5 per cent of its GDP. "Despite the recession, there is no question of scaling down our defence expenditure or compromising our ongoing acquisition programmes," Defence Minister A.K. Antony said at the air show.

While the civil aviation sector is driven by the economy, the military aviation is totally dependent on the national security perspective. That is precisely why many major aircraft and defence equipment manufacturers consider India a big market.
The IAF's MRCA deal is a case in point where the US wants India to buy F16s from Lockheed Martin or F18s from Boeing; the UK is supporting the European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company's bid to sell its Eurofighter Typhoon; and Russia wants the IAF to buy MiG 35. They are all pushing their machines' limits at the air show to impress the IAF, which will soon start their technical evaluation. Rafale from Dassault France and Sweden's Gripen IN, too, are competing for the IAF deal.

Aero India, Antony said, would be an opportunity to tap the market and the business potential. Lt Gen. Jeffrey Kohler of US-India Business Council said the downturn in global economy had, to some extent, affected the aviation industry across the world. "But, aerospace industry is the last sector to be affected and the first to recover," said Kohler.

Some feel that this is the right time to start a new venture. Maini Precision Products, a Bangalore-based firm, launched Maini Global Aerospace Private Ltd, while defence PSU Bharat Electronics Ltd signed an MoU with Boeing to jointly develop an analysis and experimentation centre in India. "We have to be optimistic and should continue to work. In fact, it is the right time to start new ventures," said Nair.

The other highlights at the event were: for the first time, a seven-member Chinese delegation attended the air show, and state-owned HAL, in its first major export order, handed over five Dhruv Advanced Light Helicopters to Ecuador.
Defence Secretary Pradeep Kumar said the show was bigger than previous events. "The number of exhibitors, including foreigners, and exhibition area have increased. All efforts were made to arrange business-to-business meetings," he said. As Nair put it, "Indian air shows are more for meetings and knowing each other than for deal signing. Deals will come slowly."
ManuJ
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ManuJ »

rakall wrote: MAWS for the fighters, helos, transport a/c is in UV band..

MAWS that DARE is working on for the AEW&C is dual-color..
Good to know that they are working on dual-color IR MAWS. That should eventually get incorporated in LCAs, Jags, etc. UV based one is just not good enough for fast moving/maneuvering objects like fighter jets.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Rahul-saar,
hope Rock-all and Prasad-ji made up for all the whines about most dull AI ever?
bigtime !! :D
maz
Webmaster BR

Post by maz »

Gents, it is time to post shots of info boards and brochures.

Did anyone see the naval stuff on display by BEL?
Vick
BRFite

Post by Vick »

maz wrote:Gents, it is time to post shots of info boards and brochures.

Did anyone see the naval stuff on display by BEL?
maz, I believe (correction: Vijay Simha Reddy's) AI09 gallery in BR has some good info board shots along with shots of the Akash system components.

Too many pics of the flyers and not enough of the stalls this year...
Last edited by Vick on 18 Feb 2009 07:53, edited 1 time in total.
Omar
BRFite

Post by Omar »

http://www.defensenews.com/osd_blog.php?o=VSDI

Aero India 2009 Blog from Defensenews.com. Looks like Honeywell is making a hard pitch for the re-engined Jag F125.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Vick wrote: I believe Sanjay Simha's AI09 gallery in BR has some good info board shots along with shots of the Akash system components.
I can see no Sanjay Simha pics in that gallery. Did you mean Vijay Simha Reddy's gallery?
Vick
BRFite

Post by Vick »

shiv wrote:I can see no Sanjay Simha pics in that gallery. Did you mean Vijay Simha Reddy's gallery?
You are absolutely right! It is Vijay Simha Reddy. Apologies to all concerned, especially Vijay.
Div
BRFite

Post by Div »

dorai wrote:Did people suddently swing pro-Eurofighter just because Rafale didn't come to the show ?

Look back a few weeks how people talked about Eurofighter... it wasn't pretty.
The MRCA discussions have been going on for a few years on BR and a lot of planes have attained and lost preferred status.

From my experience over these years, the Mig-29/35 and Gripen have probably been the two laggards, rest everyone else has had their moments of glory.
R Arun
BRFite -Trainee

Post by R Arun »

Kartik wrote:
As for the MiG-35's cost, I think you're running far ahead of yourself. the MiG-29K cost escalation gave figures of nearly $80 million per MiG-29K, and I see no reason as to why a slightly superior MiG-35 (due to its new generation optical avionics and AESA) would be any cheaper.
well dont forget the even in the F-35 the most expensive version is navy version F-35c,and i was in the impression that the F-35B with its lift fan was the most expensive i was wrong ,the navy version for carrier landing needs a lot of structural changes with beefed up parts,same goes to the MIG29k.the MIG-35 will for sure cost a lot cheaper compared to MIG-29k,the AESA in the MIG 35 aint gone a cost a lot,and when u order 126 or more planes the cost is certainly going to come down further.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Guys,Flight Intl. had in a recent issue an extensive feature about the latest Pilatus and its ability to leapfrog some other intermediate trainers by giving a jet like feel to the trainee pilots.I will try and locate it with excerpts.Look,the IAF, not myself is supposedly pissed off with poor after sales support for the Hawk and the Q of building less Hawks and perhapos an LCA trainer is being mooted as a desi alternative.I can't see how this is anti-indigenisation or pro-Russian at all! The LCA trainer sounds exciting,as it can compete very favourably with other advanced supersonic jet trainers like the Korean one.The only sticking point is going to be getting US /other approvals for exports,because of the engine and radar being foreign.

Tx Omar for mentioning the Honywell Jag pitch.I saw that display too and one has often wondered why the Jag was not given a radical upgrade.From its primary task of being a bomb truck,with the advent of stand-off PGMs today,the advanced/upgraded Jag could be a very cost-effective solution especially when the LCA is underpowered and would in its initial version have more of an air combat role than ground attack/strike.Extra Jags could be built very cheaply by comparison and with more advanced SRAAMs could easily see off the Sino-Pak birds being acquired by our neighbours.The numbers issue could be eased with this approach too.

Kartik,there was a piece in one mag picked up at the show about the MOD's procurement approach and that of the US,Russia,Europeans,etc.I will try and locate it and post excerpts from it. It recommended that we adopt a different approach to the present one,which is very rigid and allows for little felexibility insisting that the cheapest option be chosen if it meets min. specs.
kvraghav
BRFite

Post by kvraghav »

Hi Philip,
Slightly confused.Are you suggesting that the IJT be replaced by the pilatus or the AJT.If it is the AJT,then there is a lot of difference.Anyways,LCA trainer has to be built for the type training.All that is being suggested here is conversion of that to a full fledged trainer.Not designing anything from scratch.Just modifications.I think this was the same thing we did to the Mongol when the hawk deal was still in negotiations..
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

KVR, not just type training, a LIFT that bridges the AJT-MOFTU role, that is my understanding.
for type training the 12 odd they have already ordered is enough.
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

Philip, suffering from a severe case of broucheritis ?? :)