Bangladesh News and Discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Re: Bangladesh News and Discussion

Post by Yogi_G »

The recent election results in Kashmir and BD have surprised me a lot, I was expecting that given India's growth and with its one leg firmly in the future, discontent in our neighbouring states would only rise and people would vote to power regimes openly hostile to India such as AL in BD....in Kashmir I was expecting low voter turn-out...

I believe our neighbours and also the Kashmiris have realized that their future lies with India....and their wish to replicate the success story, am nt saying here that India doesn't have any problems etc, only that India has grown well and quick due to its general ethic of tolerance...I hope India pounces on this favourable scenario to quickly bring these countries into its list of dependable and friendly neighbours. I hope SL also quickly gets back into a mode of growth...

I propose we sell arms to Bangladesh at "friendship prices", what better way to ensure dependency...also import gas from BD, ensure BD, Nepal and SL get to share signal from our own regional satellite system etc etc...Doing that wud root out ISI/Paki influence in BD as Philip saar said above...
James B
BRF Oldie

Post by James B »

^^^Yogi, It is BNP that is hostile not AL in BD.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Here is a view from Hiranmay Karlekar,who wrote an excellent book on the subject.

http://www.dailypioneer.com/147522/Seco ... adesh.html

Second chance for Bangladesh

Hiranmay Karlekar

Rarely does history give a second chance to a country. It has given that to Bangladesh in the form of the results of the December 29 parliamentary election. The outcome doubtless reflects the way people voted. But then history is never a process moving according to its own autonomous dynamics. It is made by people, and the people of Bangladesh have enabled their country to move away from the regressive, pre-feudal social order and the reign of terror into which it seemed to be descending two years ago.

In a remarkably sweeping verdict, the Awami League has won 230 of the 299 seats which went to the polls and 49.2 per cent of the total votes polled against 62 seats and 40.13 per cent respectively in the 2001 election. The grand alliance it spearheaded has won 262 seats with the Jatiya Party accounting for 27 (against 14 in 2001) seats and others five. The Bangladesh Nationalist Party of Begum Khaleda Zia, which won 193 seats in 2001, has now won only 29, with its vote share declining from 40.97 per cent to 32.74 per cent. Its principal ally in the four-party alliance, Jamaat-e-Islami Bangladesh has its seats reduced from 17 to two.

By voting the Awami League and its allies resoundingly to power, Bangladeshis have demonstrated that they want their country to be a modern Islamic democracy committed to gender justice, economic progress, administrative transparency and efficiency, at peace with itself and its neighbours. They have defenestrated the Jamaat, the fountainhead of Islamic fundamentalism in Bangladesh, and the spawning ground of terrorists who came to head outfits like the Harkat-ul-Jihad-al-Islami Bangladesh, the Jamaatul Mujahideen Bangladesh, the Jagrata Muslim Janata Bangladesh and the Ahle Haadith Andolan Bangladesh. They have also made it clear that they want the war criminals of 1971 —— like Matiur Rahman Nizami, the Jamaat’s Amir, and Ali Ahsan Mohammad Mojahid, its general secretary —— who participated in the Pakistani Army’s campaign of brutal repression of the liberation struggle of that year, to be tried and punished. Finally, they have signalled their rejection of the pathologically anti-India posture of the Jamaat, which identifies India as Bangladesh’s enemy, and the BNP, which insinuates the same.

Sheikh Hasina cannot be unaware of these messages; nor of the fact that she will not be forgiven if she fails to deliver in a significant measure. Unfortunately, Bangladesh has a long history of missed opportunities, opportunistic alliances and policies, and misplaced generosity. Sheikh Mujibur Rahman’s effort at a post-liberation national consensus achieved through reconciliatory measures was carried too far. The general amnesty declared on November 30, 1973, which covered even those convicted of savage war crimes, allowed people like Matiur Rahman Nizami and Ali Ahsan Mohammad Mojahid to emerge from the woodwork and work surreptitiously for a revival of pro-Pakistan and fundamentalist politics.

Sheikh Hasina has now to deal with both of them and others from the same stable, particularly since bringing war criminals to justice is one of the main promises made in the Awami League’s election manifesto. It will not be easy. Supporters of war criminals have become firmly entrenched in Bangladesh’s premier intelligence agency, the Directorate General of Forces’ Intelligence, which has close links with Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence Directorate. They, as well as their fellow travellers, who have infiltrated into the armed forces and civilian administration, will fight bitterly to frustrate the new Government’s efforts.

Sheikh Hasina, however, will not be without support. The Sector Commanders’ Forum, an organisation spearheaded by the sector commanders of the Mukti Bahini during the 1971 liberation war, has sustained an intense campaign for the trial and punishment of war criminals over the last two years. Thanks to them and efforts by the Muktijuddher Chetana Bastabayan O Ekattorer Ghatak Dalal Nirmul Jatiya Samanyay Committee (National Coordination Committee for the Realisation of the Consciousness of the Liberation War and the Eradication of the Killers and Agents of Seventy One), evidence will not be difficult to come by. Besides, Mr Ian Martin, the UN Secretary-General’s special envoy, has promised Sheikh Hasina, whom he met on Thursday to congratulate her on her victory, all help in bringing the war criminals to justice.

The question is of political will. Sheikh Hasina’s and the Awami League’s credibility will be severely dented if they are seen to be unable and/or unwilling to act firmly. Besides, war criminals, left alone, will try to stage a comeback and resume the campaign of murder and terror they had unleashed in Bangladesh between 2001 and 2006. Sheikh Hasina, who has survived several attempts on her life, including the grenade attack on a rally she was addressing in Dhaka on August 21, 2004, should have no illusion on the score. Besides acting against war criminals, she must also dismantle the Jamaat’s economic empire which sustains the party’s activities and openly promotes a jihadi mindset.

Linked to punishing the war criminals is the issue of terrorism, both within Bangladesh and across the border in India. Most war criminals are joined at the hips with Bangladeshi terrorist outfits which, in turn, have close links with the DGFI and the ISI. The HUJIB has been involved, along with Pakistani terrorist organisations like the Lashkar-e-Tayyeba and the Jaish-e-Mohammad, in most terrorist strikes in India during the past several years. Since it, patronised by a section of the BNP, has also been attacking and, sometimes, murdering supporters and leaders of the Awami League as well as members of Bangladesh’s civil society and intelligentsia, squelching it and other similar outfits will be in Sheikh Hasina’s and Bangaldesh’s interest too.

Cross-border terrorism and Bangladesh’s support to violent secessionist groups of north-eastern India have lent a sharp edge to the issue of illegal migration from that country. Dealing with the latter may become easier if Bangladesh cuts out all help to Indian secessionist groups and eliminates the terrorist outfits which use the illegal migration route to send terrorists into, and sustain sleeper cells in, India. Neither all this nor rooting out corruption, streamlining the administration and improving the law-and-order situation will be easy. But then, saving a country never is. On its part, India must walk that proverbial extra mile to ensure that Sheikh Hasina gets all the help she needs.

PS:"India must walk the extra mile...".Very true.In fact,we must be willing to walk any amount of extra miles in B'desh if the end result,the total elimination of pro-Pak and anti-Indian forces is accomplished.There is a great window of opportunity here for Indai to work amicably with B'desh to acheieve common goals,especioally as Pak is all at sea with trying to wriggle out of its Afghan committments to the US and attempting to extricate itself from the guilt of 26/11.
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

BSF seeks more forces to curb Bangladeshi influx.

SHILLONG: BSF has asked more battalions of forces to curb infiltration, movement of militants and enhance management on the India-Bangladesh border.

Official sources said BSF made the demand on Friday during a top security meeting in Guwahati chaired by Union home minister P Chidambaram where the influx from across the border was a much-emphasized issue.

Chidambaram has reportedly considered the proposal.

The BSF pointed out that only 91 km border has been fenced and work is in progress on 129 km of the 577-km Bangladesh border in Assam and Meghalaya, a portion seen as the most infiltration prone.

Currently, there are 11 battalions deployed along the international border in Assam and Meghalaya.

The issue of opposition by villagers to the fencing in Jaintia Hills district of Meghalaya was also raised in the meeting.

According to BSF officials, their counterpart in Bangladesh, BDR, has been objecting to the fencing in 75 patches along the international border in North-East, but have recently allowed to go ahead with the work on 46 places.

Work under phase-I of the Indo-Bangla fencing project was started in 1989 and fencing was done in 854 km against the approved target of 857 km. The phase-II involved 2429 km of the total 4,096 km long border.(meaning 1,666 kms will be left unfenced? :eek: :shock: :evil: )

Currently, phase-III is in progress in Assam's Dhubri district. Around 364 km of the fencing that was constructed as part of phase-I of the project has been replaced so far as the old fencing had become outdated and damaged at several portions.

About 861 km of fencing constructed under Phase-I would be replaced by March 31, 2010.

Recently, Chidambaram had said Centre was not satisfied with the progress in fencing on India-Bangladesh border and would take steps to speed up the project.

While the Centre had decided to floodlight the entire border fence, only a stretch of 277 km was completed so far as part of a pilot project.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

There are areas that cannot be fenced because of terrain (shifting rivers etc).
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

raghunath wrote:^^^Yogi, It is BNP that is hostile not AL in BD.
Yup, thnx Raghu for the correction
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

Bangladesh has to watch for massive terror attacks. It might have to spend a lot improve its internal intelligence apparatus. This is all if it seriously considers to get out of the rot that has set during the last seven years.
Yogi_G
BRF Oldie

Post by Yogi_G »

Muppalla wrote:Bangladesh has to watch for massive terror attacks. It might have to spend a lot improve its internal intelligence apparatus. This is all if it seriously considers to get out of the rot that has set during the last seven years.
I hope the Bangladeshi people are like the Balochi people, first Balochi identity only next Islam, willing to forego the latter for th former if need be. We need to ensure more people to people contacts across WB and BD to ensure that the Bangla identity of BD people is kept to a high level....
Raj Malhotra
BRFite

Post by Raj Malhotra »

A Bangladeshi does NOT need to cross the border surreptiously to come to India, he can just catch a Bus that will travel in Broad day light, pay bribes along the route and one can reach India easily. Total cost per head is only Rs. 100/-
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

that's only for smugglers or high-fliers. the common people still need to cross borders at the dead of night with the help of dalals while BSF/BDR looks the other way.
nsa_tanay
BRFite -Trainee

Post by nsa_tanay »

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Default/ ... =HTML&GZ=T
Bangla author set to end India exile

Debashis Konar | TNN

Kolkata: For more than four years, he had found the doors to his motherland firmly shut. Awami League coming to power has now come as a ray of hope for Bangladesh-born author Salam Azad. With a secular party at the helm of affairs, he finally sees hope of returning home.
Azad has been living in Delhi since 2004, ever since the Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP)-led government and its ally Jamaat-e-Islami issued a fatwa against him over his books. “I was in Geneva in July 2004 to deliver a UN lecture when a fatwa was issued against me. My book, Shattered Dreams, which was being published then, was banned in Bangladesh and I was banished. I was very tense, as my wife was in Dhaka and the fundamentalists had attacked authors like Samsur Rahaman,” said the author. “Shattered Dreams focused on how madarsa education in Bangladesh was spreading hatred among communities.”
Azad did not return to Dhaka. He flew to Delhi with an Indian visa and started staying in India from August, 2004. “I had submitted my passport to the Bangladesh High Commission, as it expired in January 2006. But I never got it back.” With the changed situation now, he finally hopes to get his passport back.
As a foreigner living in India without a passport, Azad found his freedom severely curtailed. He had been staying mainly in government accommodation.
The author had gone to Tripura last October to do research for his book, Contribution of Tripura in Liberation War of Bangladesh. Though a CPM minister organized his stay at the circuit house, he was not given access to the state archives. “I know Tripura chief minister Manik Sarkar and other ministers such as Jiten Choudhury and Anil Sarkar, but the CPM is perhaps not eager about the book because of their previous stand on the Liberation War.” For the record, he is also writing about their non-cooperation in this book.
A number of Azad’s books will be published during Kolkata Book Fair 2009, said his publisher Maruf Hossain.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

'Bangladeshis have no business to be in India without permit'
To a question on steps to end illegal immigration, the Home Minister said, "I am now looking into what is happening on our borders,passport control points...I think we issue a very large number of visas to Bangladeshis every month.

"There is no reason to issue so many visas. And there is very ineffective monitoring system (to check) whether the guy has gone back to Bangladesh or remained here," Chidambaram said.
derkonig
BRFite
Location: Jeering sekular forces bhile Furiously malishing my mijjile @ Led Lips Mijjile Malish Palish Parloul

Post by derkonig »

^
errm..I wonder what Sheila 'esteemed guests' Dixit has to say about that.
Mahendra
BRF Oldie

Post by Mahendra »

PC is merely giving lip service, expect nothing more than a token reduction in the number of visas issued to the BDs. Hopefully the AL government will play a constructive role in improving relations. Interesting times ahead as Dragon and Pig will try their best to increase tensions in the region
nsa_tanay
BRFite -Trainee

Post by nsa_tanay »

Subrata Bayen gets bail

Dreaded Bangla don’s bail causes flutter in city
Caesar Mandal | TNN

Kolkata: Dreaded Bangladeshi don Subrata Bayen’s getting bail has caused a flutter in the city. Bayen was arrested by Kolkata Police’s Special Task Force on October 13, and booked under the Foreigners Act and Arms Act. A few days after his arrest, police nailed him in a case pertaining to possession of illegal arms and a snatching case.
Bayen, however, got bail because investigators could not submit a chargesheet. The detective department then linked him in a note-forgery case and had him in custody once again. Insiders saw in this move a strange ‘inefficiency’ on the part of investigators, which came in handy for Bayen’s lawyers to obtain bail.
Sources said a central intelligence agency had instructed Kolkata Police not to go overboard with Bayen. Central intelligence agencies are reportedly unhappy with state agencies on the way they are handling Bayen and other Bangladeshi criminals.
Bayen is a valuable catch for India to put diplomatic pressure on Bangladesh to get wanted criminals like Anup Chetia, Paresh Barua or Jiban Singh, who are rumoured to have taken shelter in Bangladesh.
Intelligence sources said that Bayen can help India trace other notorious Bangladeshi criminals and political criminals crossing the borders soon after the Sheikh Hasina government took over. “Bayen could be our key source to trace them. But our efforts may fail, given the way Kolkata Police is handling him,” said an intelligence officer. The central agency wants the criminal in police custody, but not behind bars.
Bayen has shown his reluctance to cooperate with Kolkata Police. It was evident when he refused to help STF officers after they interrogated a Gujarati trader of Burrabazar, who had allegedly laundered Bayen’s money in the market. During interrogation, the trader died on way to hospital.
Sensing trouble, Kolkata Police is not ready to take the risk any more. The sudden disappearance of Tanvirul Islam Joy, another Bangladeshi criminal currently on bail after being picked up by CID, is cause of worry for central agencies. They suspect police have kept him under watch to keep him away from central agencies.
Joy’s wife complained to the human rights commission that he was picked up by some agencies and taken to some unknown destination. The CID and state intelligence agency, however, told the commission that Joy is not in their custody.

CASES AGAINST SUBRATA BAYEN
October 13, 2008 * Charged under: Arms Act and Foreigners Act * Status: Granted bail on January 5, 2009
October 27,2008 * Charged under: Arms Act * Status: Granted bail on January 3, 2009
December 29, 2008 * Charged with: Snatching Rs, 12000 * Status: Granted bail on December 31, 2008
January 7, 2009 * Charged with: Note forgery * Status: Remanded in 10 days’ police custody
vsudhir
BRF Oldie

Post by vsudhir »

Dreaded Bangla don’s bail causes flutter in city
Caesar Mandal | TNN
Well, rather than the incessant whining that lookie our pulis is soo corrupt onlee....maybe, just maybe, the don is getting released solely becoz he's been turned by our intell agencies....

watch out for some mysterious shaheedizations of anti-india rabids in BD over the next few yrs.....

/OTOH< the chances of that happening are as remote as gilani apologizing to sherry publicly.
Mahendra
BRF Oldie

Post by Mahendra »

How credible is the evidence against Subrata, by his name he seems to be a Hindu, couldnt it be victimisation of innocent Hindoo onlee? Frankly, Bangladesh has proven over the past 38 years that they dont deserve the freedom that the Indian Army got for them, they have become nothing but another East Bakistan, Allah hu Akbar!!!
those who bite the hand that feeds them, lick the foot that kicks them
Which dreaded Don would be proud of a case against him for snatchin Rs 12000, this man must be a very small fish for the BDs to even bother about, things would be different if this man organises synchronised blasts in the Jamaat e Islami offices all across Dalladesh
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Sources said a central intelligence agency had instructed Kolkata Police not to go overboard with Bayen. Central intelligence agencies are reportedly unhappy with state agencies on the way they are handling Bayen and other Bangladeshi criminals.
Im sure that they were trying to turn him...why does the media have to disclose all such info like in the case of the missing Hurriyat guy also few days back?

Was reading in a book as to how even in the 90s, the DDM scuttled the plans of the SIT tracking the killers of Rajiv Gandhi. The SIT were intercepting LTTE messages being transmitted from Chennai and using direction finders to locate the station. However, DDM proudly published a article saying that SIT team tracking LTTE stations in Chennai the next day leadig to all transmissions stopping and hence causing a delay of few months in nabbing the culprits.
vsudhir
BRF Oldie

Post by vsudhir »

Terrorism to top Pranab's agenda in Dhaka visit
"The regional anti-terror task force issue will come up for the discussion and I am sure that the prime minister here will raise the issue during the Indian minister's visit," Indian high commissioner to Bangladesh Pinak Ranjan Chakravarty told media on Sunday after meeting Bangladesh Foreign Secretary Touhid Hossain.

A South Asian body to combat terror was a pre-poll pledge, contained in the manifesto of the Awami League that swept the December 29 poll.
More interestingly...
Mukherjee would hold discussion with his Bangladeshi counterpart Dipu Moni. The issues of reduction in trade gap, which is weighed heavily against Bangladesh, the Ganga Water Treaty and management of a 4,700 km border might come up.
Huh?
What about the burning issue of illegal BD immigrants in India? Crime of omission onlee....

Sala, Burma (or is it Thailand?) is catching these illegals in their country putting them in boats without motorsd and leaving them at sea to be rescued later by the BD coast guard. Hope scene doesn;t degenerate so much that India is forced to think of similar 'solutions' on land. :evil:
Mahendra
BRF Oldie

Post by Mahendra »

Sudhir Sir

In a few years if things dont change, it will be us who will be simply thrown into the bay of bengal after our organs are harvested. The time of solution through dialogue or agreements has long passed, the only thing that is likely to happen is local anti BD militias in parts of NE/ North India and Mumbai who will take law into their own hands. Sadly it is the IA which will be used to fight their own countrymen to save the skins of these BDs

The Indian government isnt thinking in lines of a solution, most behind closed doors will recommend that citizenship be granted to those who migrated to India till 200?, that's more than 2 crore Jee-haardis of the worst variety who will become bonafide Indians
We are phucked and most Indians are oblivious to it.
The only opposition to this BD infestation in the near future may come from EJ groups as they are bound to clash eventually
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

US offers to assist in manning sea borders
the US will assist Bangladesh in protecting its mineral-rich sea areas in the Bay of Bengal, US Assistant Secretary of State for South and Central Asia Richard A Boucher said yesterday.
"I think there is some interest in maritime patrol so that you can protect your sea areas better. There are some areas where we can help their activities on what they tell us," Boucher said.

The US envoy, however, ruled out the notion of setting up any US military base in Bangladesh: "We are not looking at any base here. We have a lot of cooperation with different countries, different governments and agencies," he said in reply to a question.
Arunkumar
BRFite

Post by Arunkumar »

suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

May be we need a pranab-hasina accord and the salient points of that accord should be
1. BD immigrants should have their fingerprints & retina scans taken at the border and BD passports provided to them, however, they shall not be granted any work permit and their stay strictly remarked as visitors.
2. They would be housed in special transit camps.
3. They would be provided employment opportunities in projects like tunnel excavation for the railways in j&k, road building for BRO in AP, excavation work for peninsular river interlinking.
4. All immigrants with work permits would be paid for their labour towards objectives mentioned in 3. Those with no work permits would be provided food and housing inside the transit camp.
4. All immigrants would have to comply with India's no child policy for immigrants from BD and PK, accordingly they should be operated upon and the costs for their operation be recouped from their wages.
5. Any BSF soldier who apprehends a BD at the border shall be rewarded with 1000rs with no upper limit.
6. OVL/Reliance/GSPC should be provided exploration rights for BD territorial waters and should also have a profit sharing agreement with a democratically elected BD govt.
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

India has started construction of Tipaimukh barrage barely one kilometer away from Jakiganj border threatening to dry up the flow of the Surma and Kushiara rivers during the winter. The barrage on the Barak River at Churachandpur district in Assam will render barren vast arable lands in north-east of Bangladesh, change ecology and climate in the region. Officials of the Water Development Board (WDB) told UNB yesterday that work on the barrage was started in March 2007 but postponed in the face of protest within and outside India.

A long march from Sylhet to Jakiganj and environmentalists in India had strongly protested the construction of the barrage. According to the WDB officials, Indian state-owned NIPCO Company recently started the groundwork on the barrage. An appraisal committee of river valley and hydro-electric experts of India issued the clearance certificate for the barrage few months ago. Sajjadul Hasan, deputy commissioner of Sylhet, said he would inform the appropriate quarter about the latest development on Tipaimukh barrage.

The barrage at the catchment of Surma and Kushiara rivers at an estimated cost of Rs 4 crore is aimed at building up a 1500-megawatt hydel project. When the barrage will be completed by 2012, the 350-km long Surma and 110-km long Kushiara rivers will dry up in the winter, seriously affecting agriculture and bringing about ecological changes in the region, experts said.

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/n ... ?nid=75940
nsa_tanay
BRFite -Trainee

Post by nsa_tanay »

Yesterday (15/02/2008) afternoon , CNN-IBN telecasted a excellant 1hr program on the Porun Indo-Bangla border. If some one have it on youtube, please upload it here. It can be asset.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

MK Dhar ,former IB officer and author of an excellent book on hids days in service,has this insightful piece on the new developments in B'Desh.

http://frontierindia.net/quiet-revoluti ... -for-india

Quiet Revolution in Bangladesh : Security Concerns for India
Written on February 15, 2009 – 3:50 pm | by Maloy Krishna Dhar | Bangladesh election held under supervision of the interim government and the army has initiated the process of a fresh freedom struggle. Democracy with secular principles was wiped out with the blood of Mujibur Rahman, his family and colleagues. Intermittent democratic experimentation with bouts of army rule had not only severely mutilated the spirit of the freedom struggle and Bengali cultural nationalism. This very foundation of the nation was massacred by the Mujib killers and subsequent pro-Pak Generals and Jamait-e-Islami. There is no doubt that the junior officers who staged the brutal coup in 1975 were simply not inspired by ‘misrule of the Awami League and the BAKSAL’; they were inspirited by Pakistan and certain clandestine operators of the CIA.

Later, General Zia-ur-Rahman, after his visit to Pakistan in September 1977, and hostile ambience created by Army-insiders and the regerminated Jammait-e-Islami opted for Islamisation, allowed the Jamait-e-Islami chief to return to Bangladesh. The Jamait had collaborated with Pakistan army and had committed innumerable atrocities on Hindu and Muslim supporters of the six point autonomy movement that turned to freedom struggle. The same year he initiated the process of creating the DGFI, in the model of the ISI. Between Zia and Ershad the BNP emerged as the party of the ‘real creator of Bangladesh-Zia-ur-Rahman.’ Short of conferring upon the General the honorific of Father of the Nation, the Begum did everything to augment the process of Islamisation and offering space to the resurgent religious congregations and the jihadis, which were seeded by General Zia, nurtured by General Ershad and given political recognition by the BNP.
General Zia’s cooperation with Pakistan and the USA in recruiting mujahids from Bangladesh (15000 odd) and sending to Pakistan for training and taking part in Afghan jihad had suddenly pushed Bangladesh to the path of radical Islamisation. The democratic process was suppressed; huge Ummah and Pakistani funds were allowed to pour in for encouraging the Bengali Muslims to spread the message of jihad in every nook and corner of Bangladesh. The Jamait-e-Islami, Islamic Chhatra Shibir, Ahle-e-Hadith Movement Bangladesh, Allhar Dal, Hizbut Tehrir and HUJI etc organizations (about 30) rooted in public mind with government support. Innumerable mosques and madrasas were constructed and the message of Jihad was spread with impunity. The same trend continued during General Ershad’s tenure.

hat was the period when Indian ethnic insurgent groups were manipulated by Bangladesh and Pakistani forces (the ISI and the DGFI) and secured sanctuaries were created for them with training and arming facilities. The political tussles between Awami League, BNP of Zia-ur-Rahman, Jatiyo Party of Ershad and Jamait-e-Islami created continued ambience of uncertainty, growth of Islamic militancy and internal chaos. Corruption in public life plagued Bangladesh heavily. The 1996 election in which Hasina Wazed’s Awami League and JeI combination returned to power witnessed near-total polarization between the political forces. Policy of political negativism adopted by all the political parties, increase of jihadi activities and greater involvement of Bangladesh and Pakistan in the ethnic insurgencies in India generated serious security implications for India. This was the period when Naga, Tripura, Assam and Bodo militants were given free access, training and supplied with arms both by the DGFI and the ISI. This period coincided with increased bonds between Pakistan based jihadi tanzeems and Bangladeshi jihadi tanzeems like HUJI, JMB, Bangla Bhai, Hijbut Tehrir, Islamic Chhatra Shibir and units of Lashkar-e-Taiba and Hijbul Mujahideen and al Qaeda were found greater acceptability amongst the radicalized Muslims. It seemed that political negativism, manipulation by the DGFI and army, Pakistani influence and free flow of Ummah funds had put Bangladesh on the same footing as Pakistan developed after the Afghan jihad. Return of about 10 thousand Bangladeshi Afghan veterans, increased al Qaeda support and blatant interference by the ISI created internal turmoil with higher degree of violence and use of Bangladesh as a launching pad of operations against India in Assam and elsewhere. Several training camps were started for training malcontent Indian Muslims and the northeastern insurgent groups. Bangladesh became a highway for the jihadis and insurgents.
BNP’s bonhomie with the Jamait, other jihadi tanzeems like HUJI, Bangla Bhai, JMB etc received tremendous boost after 2001 general elections to the Jatiyo Sangsad, The table of results of 2001 Sansad election indicate the level of increase of influence of the BNP, Jamait and allied parties and erosion of pro-India forces:

BNP - 193: 41.40%
Awami League + 62: 40.02%
Jatiya Party (E) 14: 7.22 %
JeI BD 17: 4.28.
Other parties not mentioned.

The BNP and Jamait coalition with intermittent support from Ershad’s Jatiya Party did not succeed in giving a stable government. The Jamait-e-Islami took advantage of its presence in the government and systematically infiltrated the armed forces, intelligence, police and other vital government department giving fillip to pro-Pakistani and pro-jihadi forces. Politics of negativism, corruption by two sons of the PM, all pervasive siphoning of public wealth by politicians and bureaucrats was compounded by visible increase in jihadi violence inside Bangladesh. Between 2001 and 2006 more than 500 incidents of terrorist violence took place including 49 serial bomb blasts in a single day, attempt on the life of the British High Commissioner and Sheikh Hasina, by forces of HUJI, JMB and Bangla Bhai. The JMB, Ahl-e-Hadith and the Bangla Bhai were used by ruling factions to punish the Awami League, other dissenters and the minorities.

There was furour, violence and political impasse over appointment of the Caretaker Government which finally led to the distinctly visible indirect interference by the army and installation of a non-political Interim Government. The army chief wielded nearly supreme power with a view to restore some semblances of order, restoration of peace, and assurance in public mind that the new government meant business. Anti-corruption drive witnessed prolonged incineration of Begum Zia, her sons and Sheikh Hasina.
That the army chief was not insensitive to the ideals of foredoom struggle, and believed in restoration of democracy and some sanity in public life was proved by acts of banning of certain jihadi organizations, meting out death sentence on Bangla Bhai and JMB leaders and restriction of Hizbut Tehrir, Allahar Dal etc subversive organizations. Combination of various internal and international factors compelled the army chief to opt for elections in December 2008. General Moeen has not shown any personal hunger for power. The results were stunning:

Awami League + 230 : 49.0%
BNP + 30 : 33.2%
Jatiya Party (E) 16 : 07.0 %
JeI 2 : 04.6 %

The BNP and the Jamait fared well in Chattagram area, with significant performance in Noakhali, Khulna, Comilla. Pabna and Bogra. The Awami League swept almost in all the districts with Jatiya Party dominating areas of North Bangladesh, the usual stronghold of Ershad.

A study of the parties contesting the elections throws out interesting aspects both for Bangladesh and India:

Party : Number of candidates
Islamic Front Bangladesh (Pakistan funded) : 2
Islamic Movement Bangladesh (HUJI) : 266
Islami Oikya Jote (Al Qaeda Affiliate) : 4
United Citizens Movement : 11
Krishak Shramik Janata League : 46
Democratic Party : 5
People’s Front (Pro-JMB) : 14
Gano Forum : 45
Jamaat-e-Ulama Islam Bangladesh : 7
Zaker Party (Pro-Taliban) : 37
National Democratic Party (Ahl-e Hadith faction) : 2
Jatiya Party : 46
Jatiya Party-JP : 7
Jatiya Samajtantrik Dal-Jasad : 6
Jatiya Samajtantrik Dal-JSD: 44
National People’s Party (Allhar Dal) : 29
Progressive Democratic Party : 21
Freedom Party (Pro Taliban) : 2
Bangladesh Awami League : 259
Bangladesh Islamic Front (Pro-al Qaeda) : 18
Bangladesh Kalayan Party : 39
Bangladesh Khilafat Andolan (Pro Pak) : 32
Bangladesh Khilafat Majlis (pro-Pak) : 8
Bangladesh Jatiya Party : 10
Bangladesh Jatiya Party-BJP : 2
Bangladesh Nationalist Party (Pro Pak) : 256
Bangladesh Jamaat-e-Islami (Pro-Pak) : 39
Bangladesh Tarikat Federation (Pr-Hizbut Tehrir) : 31
Bangladesh National Awami Party : 14
Bangladesh National Awami Party-Bangladesh NAP : 5
Bangladesh Muslim League (Pro-Pak) : 5
Bangladesher Samajtantrik Dal : 57
Workers Party of Bangladesh : 5
Communist Party of Bangladesh : 38
Revolutionary Workers Party of Bangladesh : 5
Bangladesher Samayabadi Dal (ML) : 1
Bikalapdhara Bangladesh (Pro-Moscow) : 62
Liberal Democratic Party : 18
Independent (45 belonging to JMB) : 141
Total:1538

This would show that the HUJI after failing to register itself as a political party contested in the name of Islamic Movement Bangladesh. Almost all the jihadi parties fielded good number of candidates but failed to secure more than 02.01 % of votes. However the HUJI affiliated party managed to get nearly 3 % votes. One of the candidates was elected to Jatiyao Sangsad as independent.

Various analysts have offered scores of reasons for the stunning success of Awami League combination. Most cogent reasons have been offered are:

1.Awami League and BNP are nearly at par with their number of supporters. Awami league’s regular supporters did vote for Awami League as usual and they had no reason to love BNP - so Awami League grabbed the regular devoted votes. The BNP voters were disunited and wilted under army pressure.

2. The Swing Voters wanted to teach BNP a lesson for their corruption and had no other alternative than accepting the Mohajot as voting for BNP would have justified stinking corruption by two sons of Begum Zia and her colleagues.

3. The BNP supporters or activists were divided as to pro-change and anti-change groups; the dissenters like Bodrudouza and Mohammad Oli gave reasons to the anti-BNP lobbies reasons to ponder upon BNP’s lack of coordination and disciplined approach.

4. BNP stalwarts or the pivotal leaders were kept behind the bars until the last few days while Awami League had almost all their pivotal figures out of jail all the time.

5. Awami League had always supported the caretaker Government and had promised to legalise their unconstitutional works if voted to power. It has been insinuated that General Moeen is a pro-Mujib person and he was influenced by India and the US to favour a more democratic group.

6. Hasina had a few anti-Jamiat Islamic groups in her pocket which got the votes of anti-Jamait pro-Islamic people on their side and Hasian promised not to enact any anti-Islamic laws.

7. Ershad commands a few BNP votes and has comfortable support in northern districts.

8. New generation of voters did not have the experience of seeing Awami League’s rule as adults; rather they saw the corrupt rule of Zia which made them anti-BNP. They were not aware that Awami League always failed to control crime and had displayed ‘winner takes all’ attitude since 1971.

9. Awami League is better in price control.BNP is not good at that and owing to present price hike people could not afford to take chances with any more price hike as that would have meant playing with starvation. BNP has the bad reputation of collaboration with corrupt market manipulators.

10. Women voters were successfully convinced that BNP meant oppression on women and it encourage the Islamists. BNP regime had allowed near total control of the civil society by al Qaeda, Taliban and Pakistani elements. People had become weary of jihadi violence and growing rhetoric on Islamisation of the society.

11. Bangladesh is surrounded by Maoists and Communists and Islam was projected as an oppressive force by JMB and HUJI etc as a threat to generally democratic Bengali society. Communism and Socialism dominated the media who supported Awami League.

12. Awami League banked on the issue of bringing the Jamiat leaders to war-tribunals when BNP owing to failure of its leaders could not successfully defend the issue with a counter challenge. Moreover, the BNP was perceived as a force protecting the killers of Mujib and other Awami League leaders.

13. Hasina lobbied abroad to win international support for Awami League when BNP concentrated on domestic support only. Zia was busy begging for release of her sons and was encumbered with revelations that her sons had stacked away billions in foreign banks by robbing the common people.

14. Finally, it must be added that by purging of the DGFI and some segments of the army brass closer to the Jamait and BNP General Moeen had good ambience to ensure a smooth election, though there are allegations that Gen Moeen had favoured the Awami League combination. Certain quarters in Dhaka believe that the army chief was afraid of a coup against him by the pro-Jamait and pro-BNP Generals.

No analysis can explain the stunning victory of Obama and Hasina. The people of Bangladesh have opted for a change and it is time for Hasina to deliver.
The goodness of the cake can only be proved by eating it. Her crown is full of thorns. She has excluded several veterans from ministerial berths. They wield influence in their own pocket-Burroughs. They are watchful of the internal groupings and may not hesitate to gang up with destabilizing forces. Begum Zia is most likely to again take the parliamentary politics to the streets and adopt the old policy of ‘either I or none.” Though her vote percentage has reduced she has maintained the steady grassroots elements on her side and her core vote percentage has not diminished. Tactically she is distancing her party from the Jamait for a while but once the opposition to the war-criminal trials involving the Jamait leaders starts Zia’s forces is likely to rally behind them along with the jihadi organizations. Hasina has a poor record of controlling law and order and often buckles down under pressure of the Islamic forces.
All the senior army officers are not with General Moeen. Several pro-BNP and pro-Jamait military top brass are watching the developments. Once Hasina and party tries to prosecute some of the former army officers for war crimes they are likely to rebel and topple her. They have a better friend in Begum Zia. Hasina would require purging the DGFI and the administration of pro-Jamait elements with helps from friendly army Generals. General Moeen may agree to help her for some costs; indirect army presence in the administration. Hopefully Hasina and allies would accommodate them for better stability and longer survival.
As far as India is concerned the situation appears to be favourable. “With terrorism in the region a pressing concern, especially after the Mumbai attacks, Hasina’s victory will bring some comfort to New Delhi as she took tough steps against the anti-India militant groups when she was in power in the mid-1990s. In contrast, there was a sharp spike in militancy and Islamic fundamentalism during Zia’s tenure.” (Times of India December 30, 2008).

What are the ground realities?

Bangladesh reeks with Islamist and jihadi organizations numbering nearly 40. The main groups are: Jamait-e-Islami, Islamic Chhatra Shibir, Islami Oikya Jote, HUJI, JMB, Jagrato Muslim Janata, Sahadat-e-Alam-al-Hiqma, Ahl-e-Hadith, Hizbut Tawhid, Hizbut Tehrir, Allahar Dal, Islamic Jubo Sangha, Al-Falah A’am Unnayan Sangstha, Islami Biplobi Parishad, Biswa Islami Front, Al Jamaitul Islamiya, Al Khidmat Bahini, Al Mujahid, Al Harqat-al-Islamia, Al Mahfuz-al-Islami, Joish-e-Mustafa (affiliated to Jais-e-Mohammad of Pakistan), Muslim Guerrilla Bahini etc.

These organistaions are spread all over Bangladesh. Most of the rural areas are influenced by them and they receive liberal funding from Arabian countries and other NGOs.
The Interim Government had banned Ahl-e-Hadith, HUJI and Hizbut Tehrir. The JMB came under heavy hammers and three of its top leaders were sentenced to death. But, like Pakistan, the jihadi organizations keep on changing names and function with impunity at the grassroots level. This, however, should not give an impression that Bangladesh is a Taliban country like Pakistan. The conflict situation between pro-Pakistani forces, believers in democracy and secularism and Bengali cultural nationalists is palpably perceptible. After General Zia’s collaboration with the USA and Pakistan during Afghan jihad and return of over 7000 Bengali Afghan veterans, infiltration by al Qaeda and Taliban had changed the social and political ambience in Bangladesh. By allowing rerooting of the Jamait and by converting the country to Islamic principles Zia had helped creation of a force that thrived on Arab money, jihadi ideology and religious resurgence and fundamentalism.

By encouraging anti-India and anti-Hindu sentiments Zia, Ershad and Begum Zia had given direct and indirect support to the Islamicised jihadi forces. Between 1991 and 2000 Bangladesh created safe niche for the jihadis and forces antagonistic to India.

Pakistan’s policy of encouraging, sheltering and arming the Indian rebel groups was pursued by Zia-created DGFI, BDR and the jihadi elements that came to root in the country. Faded secular elements and cultural Bengali nationalists were pushed aside and hate-India sentiments were generated by Bangladeshi and Pakistani elements operating in political parties, bureaucracy, armed forces and segments of people Islamicised drastically. The former Muslim League elements who had taken shelter under other parties activated their anti-minority and anti-India campaign. Pakistan and China encouraged these developments.

Besides the Jamait, Ahl-e-Hadith and Tablighi Jammat which have garlanding presence in India and Pakistan as well the new elements of HUJI (created in Pakistan in 1980 and reshaped in POK in 1992), branches of Taliban and al Qaeda affiliated organizations, and the ISI created organizations like Lashkar-e-Taiba, Jais-e-Mohammad, Al Bdr etc rooted down in the country. These bodies collaborated with Pakistani organizations and agencies for spreading jihad in mainland India, facilitating Pakistani jihadis to infiltrate and carry out acts of terrorism and converting segments of Indian Muslims to the ideology of jihad and reaffirmation of the old demand of creating a bigger Bangistan (original demand of Jinnah) comprising present Bangladesh, Assam, and parts of West Bengal. Pakistan’s smoke-screen of Kashmir dispute was sculpted out as a concerted programme of creation of Bangistan in the east, Osmanistan in the south and Mughlistan in central and western India. With this objective in mind elements in Pakistan and Bangladesh created an atmosphere of near-total hostility against India.

In short, though India had liberally helped Bangladesh during the liberation war, pre-partition anti-Hindu and anti-India hate campaign created by the Muslim League pervaded even after creation of Pakistan. This was encouraged by Zia, Ershad and BNP. Pro-Pakistan and Islamist elements nearly overshadowed the secular forces. The Left forces were cruelly suppressed. Bangla involvement in Afghan jihad and Pakistan aggravated the situation. Hate Hindu and hate India sentiments still remain at the top layer of most of the people. The Awami League leaders have not been able to restore trust in India. Several irritants between the countries are exploited by pro-Pakistan and pro-Chinese forces in the army, bureaucracy and religious parties. India has to tread cautiously.

The other issues that keep haunting India’s security concerns are use of Bangladesh by northeastern insurgents groups like the NSCN (I), ULFA, NDFB, KLO, Manipuri Meitei groups and Tripura in connivance with the DGFI, ISI operatives and their jihadi spawns. This problem runs through Indo-Pak relations in East Pakistan, later Bangladesh, for over 60 years, starting from Phizo’s escape to Pakistan in 1948. There has been no waning in the situation except for a brief period between 1971 and 1975.

If we are to believe the security agencies, Indian insurgent groups are sheltered in at least 32 camps in Bangladesh, with some of the top leaders hosted by the ISI. The game of denial had improved somewhat during General Moeen’s hold on the interim government. Besides clamping down on jihadi activities inside the country he had minimized anti-India involvement of the government agencies and intelligence agencies.

India has to pay proper attention to this aspect of national security by keeping bilateral and international pressure on Bangladesh. Besides the police, paramilitary and armed forces, the political governments in Assam, West Bengal, Nagaland, Manipur and Tripura have to strengthen their vigilance, sharpen intelligence gathering and sanitizing the border areas as much as possible. According to Jane’s Intelligence Review China has replaced Cambodia and Thailand as the main supplier of weapons to insurgent groups in India’s northeast and Myanmar. In an analysis of the Asian weapons black market, the defence think-tank said that the United Wa State Army (UWSA) and rebel groups in Myanmar act as the “middleman” between Chinese arms manufacturers and insurgent groups in the Northeast, with most weapons routed through China’s Yunnan province.
Pointing out that the arms market in India is extremely lucrative; JIR said that a Chinese automatic rifle that is available for $500 in eastern Myanmar can command a price of $2,500 by the time it reaches the Northeast. Referring to an arms seizure by Myanmar authorities in 2001 that first brought out the trend, JIR said that “a consignment of several hundred Chinese assault rifles” were recovered while being transported to the Indian border at Tamu and were meant for “Manipuri UNLF and possibly other factions”. Officials in the Indian security establishment say that Chinese origin weapons are increasingly being seized from northeast insurgent groups and have even reached the illegal arms market in West Bengal, Assam and Uttar Pradesh.
Besides Chinese and Myanmar smugglers the Rohingya and Bangladesh smugglers still use the Thailand route to pump in weapons for use by the Indian insurgent groups. It is a different aspect of intelligence input as to how Pakistan and Bangladesh facilitate this arms traffic. However, continued inflow of weapons is a serious security concern. Another concern is inability of the Government of India to conclude the NSCN problem either through negotiation or military action. Same is the situation in Assam and Manipur.
The historical irritant of illegal Bangladeshi migration to Assam and rest of India is another issue that adds to demographic and security concerns.
Having had the opportunity of serving in the northeast for considerable period I have a feeling that political and administrative handling of the situation during last 60 years has been unsatisfactory and halfhearted. Vast military presence in the northeast for prolonged period has cost the nation immensely; much more than what is being spent in Kashmir. Mere military solution is a chimera but the armed forces, besides having geostrategic concerns from China, have to keep eyes on the jihadi groups and silent incursion by inimical countries with surreptitious arms supplies.
The other concern areas are: Dispute with Bangladesh over offshore oil exploitation, supply of gas to India, direct train transit route from Tripura to the rest of the country, trade balance and Indo-Myanmar agreement to open Kaladan-route to sea via Sittwe port are viewed as a potential hostile act by Pakistan, China and Bangladesh. While this route would open up trade from the northeast India, it is likely to acquire strategic-presence in the area. Not far from Cox’s Bazar and Dakhinpara in Bangladesh, Sittwe is likely to provide an additional platform for keeping an eye on coastal Bangladesh and the vital Straits of Malacca. In any future battle zone in the Bay of Bengal Indian presence in the area is also viewed adversely by the USA and the UK from their bases in the Indian Ocean.
Bangladesh as a friendly democratic and secular country can provide a mutual security shield in this part of the country. The future cannot be gazed in the crystal ball. It would require astute diplomatic, political and economic manipulations to revive the faded hopes of 1971. It is almost a new freedom struggle for Bangladesh.
The tendency of Bangladesh political parties to peddle the practice of ‘the winners take all’, severe corruption, Islamic fundamentalism and pro-Pakistan sentiments may not make the things easy for the new government. It would require bilateral and international efforts to put the restored democracy on correct rails.

India, as a political state and its agencies have to strengthen their guards against any subversion of the electoral award given by the people to their representatives for turning new pages in the history of the beleaguered country. A new stage of diplomatic and strategic relations is required towards Bangladesh to secure the eastern flank of India and stop the use of Bangladesh as a platform for spreading jihad in India and South East Asia.

http://maloykrishnadhar.com/
Nitesh
BRFite

Post by Nitesh »

some thing to worry about:

http://www.bdmilitary.com/
China to help install nuclear power plant in Bangladesh, model Sino-Pak comprehensive relationship

China will assist Bangladesh in installing nuclear power plant on the China-Pakistan cooperation model to help latter meet the rising electricity demand, Chinese Ambassador in Dhaka Zheng Qing Dian said yesterday.

"China and Bangladesh signed agreement on peaceful use of nuclear power in 2005, which clears the way for our civil nuclear cooperation," the Chinese Ambassador told a Meet-the-Reporters programme organised by the Dhaka Reporters Unity (DRU) at its conference hall.

Zheng requested Bangladesh side for further communications and said the Chinese government supports the nuclear enterprises to carry out cooperation in nuclear power.

He noted the cooperation could follow the China-Pakistan cooperation model.

The present government has a pledge to make operational the dormant Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant to meet the growing demand for electricity.

Chaired by DRU president Shamim Ahmad the function was also addressed by its general secretary Pathik Saha.

Replying to a question over Bangladesh-China (Kunming) highway link through Myanmar, the diplomat said China takes an active attitude on this project as it will facilitate personal exchanges and trade among countries in this region.

Asked about a rising trade gap between Dhaka and Beijing, Zheng said China takes seriously its trade imbalance with Bangladesh and has no intention to pursue trade surplus. China has, therefore, actively adopted measures to increase imports from Bangladesh, he said.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

If the Chinese want to have nuclear cooperation with Bangladesh, perhaps India should also rethink our nuclear cooperation with Taiwan and Vietnam.

After all the NSG gave us the green light to nuclear trade. We should in fact make it a top priority.
Kati
BRFite

Post by Kati »

China is in PANIC with Hasina in power ...... that's why going head over heels to
project this bhai-bhai attitude. Typical chinese strategy.

Anyway, more important stuff......

Bangladesh to hand over ULFA chief, says minister

February 18, 2009 18:35 IST

Related Articles
• I am an Assamese not an Indian: ULFA leader
• Bangladesh: HuJI chief sentenced to death
• 'HuJI helped ULFA carry out Assam blasts'
• The LeT-HuJI link in terror attacks in India
• Serial blasts in Jaipur: The HuJI angle

In an exclusive interview to CNN-IBN, Bangladesh's Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Hasan Mahmud told the channel that the new government in Dhaka has mutually agreed with India to handover United Liberation Front of Asom's chief Anup Chetia, who has been in a Bangladesh jail since 1996.
"We have mutually agreed on the handover, now we have to decide on the formalitiesr. It will also include handing over of Bangladeshi criminals who have fled to India," said Hasan Mahmud.
Mahmud, who is also a special assistant to Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina [Images], told the channel that previous Bangladesh governments since 2001 have indeed sponsored terrorism.
"Since 2001, the Bangladesh Nationalist Party and the Jamaat-e-Islami had ministers in their government who chanted slogans to turn Bangladesh into Afghanistan. So they nurtured a range of terrorist organisations. Terrorism [Images] in Bangladesh started and then flourished under that government," said Mahmud.
He was also categorical about cross-border linkages of terrorist groups based in Bangladesh.

Excerpts:

Does Harkat-ul-Jehad-al-Islami still exist?
Yes, definitely. They are banned, but they are in hideouts now.

Are you trying to find out their hideouts?
Definitely, we are trying to find out their locations.

Are you going to crack down on them?
Yes, crackdown will indeed happen. Terrorist attacks that have been happening in the region in the past few months -- even in Mumbai [Images] -- there are cross-border linkages of these terrorists. Not only Lashker-e-Tayiba and HuJI, but other terror organisations also. They were trained in Afghanistan, they were in Pakistan, and then they came in Bangladesh.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Holy #@$%^.

Isnt this the right time to send a team of NSG/ undercover officers to protect Sheikh Hasina since she will be marked out by the DGFI/ISI tag team if she continues on this path?
Arunkumar
BRFite

Post by Arunkumar »

If bangladesh is blessed with so much river resources, I think the way to go is hydroelectric power. why does a small country with no major industry worth the name (except procreation) and only two major cities need nuclear power. Also the fact that Russia could also have helped, but they chose chinese instead raises a question is electricity the only thing that is to be produced. Or is china creating a new tarrel, deepel friend here.
Kati
BRFite

Post by Kati »

Arunkumar, you have to know the topography of Bangladesh. 90% of the country sits on a flat land where the river flow is pretty slow except the rainy season. This is detrimental to hydro power projects. Also, the rivers carry huge amount of silt every year, which can choke any dam, reservoir in no time. The only exceptional region is 'Parbyatta Chattagram' (Hilly Chitagong) district which has fast flowing hilly rivers (like Karnafuly, Ushri, etc) in forested areas, and these rivers are harnessed already for hydro power.
Abhi_G
BRFite

Post by Abhi_G »

IIRC, it was in 2005 when I first heard about the nuclear agreement between PRC and BD. No news was there in between.
Mahendra
BRF Oldie

Post by Mahendra »

Interestingly just when the BD government is making positive sounds, the resident BD Thugs/Drones have gone missing from the forum Mia/Anam where are you guys, we would love to hear your views about Sheikh Hasina
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

Could a friendly government in BD lease us Chittagong (or part of its port facilities), plus a corridor to Agartala/Udaipur/Aizawl? Just as the Americans were leased Guantanamo Bay in perpetuity in 1903, by the grateful Cubans whom they had helped to overthrow Spanish rule and become independent.
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

Rudradev wrote:Could a friendly government in BD lease us Chittagong (or part of its port facilities), plus a corridor to Agartala/Udaipur/Aizawl?
Highly unlikely as it would cut off southern BD from the rest of the country. They may grant us transit rights to Chittagong port IF they are suddenly overcome by brotherly feelings which is also highly unlikely.
Atri
BRF Oldie

Post by Atri »

Bangladesh minister points to Dhaka link to 26/11
19 Feb 2009, 1653 hrs IST, Times Now
NEW DELHI: Bangladeshi minister for foreign affairs Hassan Mahmud has hinted that terrorists, who launched the November 26 Mumbai attacks, may have used Bangladeshi soil. This is the first time an official from the Bangladeshi government has pointed to a Dhaka hand in the attack.

"Since terrorist attacks have been happening in the region in the past few months, even in Mumbai, there are cross-border linkages of these terrorists," Mahmud was quoted as saying by the Bangladesh-based newspaper 'The Independent'.

"Not only Lashkar (Laskhar-e-Toiba) and HuJI (Harkat-ul-Jihad-e-Islami), but other terror organisations also. They trained in Afghanistan, they were in Pakistan, then they came here. It is dangerous. They cooperate among themselves, now we have to cooperate among ourselves in the region to combat them," Mahmud said.

Earlier reports published in Pakistan's 'Dawn' newspaper said that Islamabad is likely to indicate that the 26/11 attacks were carried out by "an international network of Muslim fundamentalists present in South Asia and spread all the way to Middle East", while making a case for regional anti-terror cooperation.

The daily (in its report dated Feb 2, 2009) had said Pakistani sleuths were "closing in on a Bangladeshi connection" to the attacks and had "evidence of not only the involvement of a banned militant organisation, Harkat-ul-Jihad-e Islami of Bangladesh, but also of its role in planning the attack and training the terrorists".
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Come to think of it, i think that the Pakis will throw all the blame on BD after their "investigation" ends.

A openly anti-Pak and pro-India govt in BD makes it easier for the Pakis to point their finger at BD and wipe their hands off....
Atri
BRF Oldie

Post by Atri »

sum wrote:Come to think of it, i think that the Pakis will throw all the blame on BD after their "investigation" ends.

A openly anti-Pak and pro-India govt in BD makes it easier for the Pakis to point their finger at BD and wipe their hands off....
the statement is given by bangladeshi FM. if current regime in bangladesh is pro-india and anti-pak, then why will GoB issue a statement towing the lines of Pak?

I feel there is truth in this.. an operation like this can't be carried out without support from HuJI (B) and most importantly, SIMI.