Indian Military Aviation

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Sid
BRFite

Re: Indian Military Aviation

Post by Sid »

SaiK wrote:coming back to topic.. i still keep wondering why IAF didn't choose 2052 rather they went 2032 for jaguar. perhaps mig upgrades as well. any reasons?
2052 is simply too costly and overkill for aircrafts like

1> Jag and Migs 27 : - as their role in IAF is only ground strike and CAS. They need good SAR mode which 2032 is quite capable of.
2> Mig 29 : - With new radar you will have to upgrade whole electronics and no Russian BVR AAM can be used with it. Then IAF will have to shift to other AAM from Israel.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

is there any evidence that 2052 is ready for FOC and israel can manufacture it without depending on vital US sanctionable components?
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

SaiK wrote:these diaper posts have certainly added entertainment to many.. but thinking about reality, i guess, pilots will be asked to dump and off load before a flight.. and given mostly fluids rather solid solids.

yes.. new age diapers can keep things dry and even drier by moderate heat and vent.. and hope requirements remain within those limits, and we dont need some ejection system for ++.
heat and vent? vent where and how ? and heat up the privates ? not a good idea for the pilots.
they actually get a good meal, with quite a bit of proteins, before each flight. and regarding fluids, they need to take be hydrated well before flights. they can lose almost a half kg of body fluids during one intensive sortie, through sweating. somewhat similar to race car drivers, who need to hydrate all the time.
Nikhil T
BRFite

Post by Nikhil T »

First woman co-pilot to fly the IL-76 of Indian Air Force
One more gender barrier fell to the determination of women as Squadron Leader Veena Saharan became the first woman co-pilot to fly one of the mightiest and heaviest aircraft of the Indian Air Force - the Russian-built Illyushin-76 (IL-76).

She will first co-pilot IL-76, renamed by the IAF as Gajraj (Elephant), and after 40 hours of flying she will become the pilot.

“It is a great achievement. I have just finished my solo flight of the IL-76 aircraft. Now I am looking forward to the second step of gaining expertise on this aircraft… It is good that the IAF is creating more opportunities for women officers,” an elated Saharan told IANS on Wednesday.

Saharan, 27, hails from Jaipur and is a second-generation defence officer. Her father, a colonel in the Indian Army, is also proud of her.

She completed her two-month ground training for the aircraft at the Agra air base last month and has now moved on to Nagpur for further training.

After flying IL-76 for 40 hours Saharan will complete her conversion from AN-32 transport aircraft to the largest transport aircraft of the force.

Saharan has done her graduation from Delhi University in Physics. "I had applied in the third year itself and got selected in the first attempt," she said.

The IAF operates 25 IL-76s for military transport duties such as tactical and strategic airlift, at all operational levels. The IL-76 is a strategic air-lifter with a payload of 95,000 pounds and a range of over 5,000 km.

“My parents are very happy for me. Even though I was in the army wing of the NCC (National Cadet Corps), I decided to join the IAF as I wanted to fly,” Saharan said with a smile.

Commissioned in the IAF in December 2002, Saharan's story is of hard work and sweat. The opportunity to fly IL-76 was always there for the women pilots since their induction into the IAF a decade and a half ago but it is only the best who get a chance. So far Saharan has flown four types of aircraft.

“I started with the two-seater HPT-32 aircraft and then moved on to Dornier transport aircraft. I have also flown AN-32 and now will be flying IL-76,” she explained.

Saharan has done sorties over Jammu and Kashmir, the Andaman and Nicobar Islands and the northeastern sector.

“This (the aircraft squadron) is the elite group of aircraft and is an asset for the IAF. For induction the pilot has to meet certain qualifications. And it feels good that I have met all the requirements,” she added.

The IAF, which has completed 75 years, currently has 784 women officers who work in all branches, barring the fighter stream.

In January this year, its first woman navigator Flying Officer Kavita Barala created history of sorts as she saluted Pratibha Patil, the first woman president of the country, at the Republic Day parade.
Yusuf
BRFite

Post by Yusuf »

Looking at the pics of the proposed MCA design, its a lot different from the tail less design that has been around for a while. The design looks more like the Raptor now.
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

Yusuf wrote:Looking at the pics of the proposed MCA design, its a lot different from the tail less design that has been around for a while. The design looks more like the Raptor now.
Prasad has posted some details on it. He had mentioned that the tailless design will be the UCAV.
HariC
BRFite

Post by HariC »

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/00 ... 051413.htm
MiG-23BNs retiring
With a dubious safety record and beset with engine troubles, the aircraft's phase out comes at a time when there were reports of burgeoning maintenance costs and problems relating to non-availability of spare parts.

Of the four squadrons the IAF had -- over 70 aircraft -- half of them were lost in air crashes and other mishaps.
I know till recently it flew with 31, 220 and 221. which squadron was the fourth? and were so many BNs lost in accidents , or does that include all other types as well.

edit - duh - it was Number 10 which flies the 27 now.. silly me
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

uddu wrote:
Yusuf wrote:Looking at the pics of the proposed MCA design, its a lot different from the tail less design that has been around for a while. The design looks more like the Raptor now.
Prasad has posted some details on it. He had mentioned that the tailless design will be the UCAV.

Also, the tailless one proposed a TVC. I suspect HAL, etc will be more comfortable with tailless once a good TVC is in hand.
k prasad
BRFite

Post by k prasad »

NRao wrote:
uddu wrote:Prasad has posted some details on it. He had mentioned that the tailless design will be the UCAV.
Also, the tailless one proposed a TVC. I suspect HAL, etc will be more comfortable with tailless once a good TVC is in hand.
From my talks with the GTRE and ADE directors, the TVC technology wouldn't be an issue since we have already mastered all the elements of it, and are developing (not sure if a prototype has already been developed) a 3D nozzle - both directors were highly confident about this. The impression was that a 3D nozzle was now almost childs play for us - mind you, this is two different directors on two different days.
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

Has the Saras crashed? CNN/IBN reports so and rediff has a generic headline. Nothing on NDTV yet.
sarang
BRFite

Post by sarang »

Saras crashed. Three killed.
Heard on Aaj Tak. :|
Pragadeesh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Pragadeesh »

merlin wrote:Has the Saras crashed? CNN/IBN reports so and rediff has a generic headline. Nothing on NDTV yet.
http://livefist.blogspot.com/2009/03/sa ... dead.html.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Just 2 hours ago I was on the golf course and saw a Saras approaching for a landing, but it did not land and the last I saw was that it was climbing away merrily. I hoping there's an error.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

shiv wrote:Just 2 hours ago I was on the golf course and saw a Saras approaching for a landing, but it did not land and the last I saw was that it was climbing away merrily. I hoping there's an error.

This is confirmed on TV9 (local channel) It has crashed just 15 min after I saw it I gues.
ksmahesh
BRFite

Post by ksmahesh »

Rediff has a little detailed report

http://www.rediff.com/news/2009/mar/06s ... galuru.htm
Avinandan
BRFite

Post by Avinandan »

ksmahesh wrote:Rediff has a little detailed report

http://www.rediff.com/news/2009/mar/06s ... galuru.htm
Very depressing news... :( , any details about the other 2 people.
My condolences to the family members...
ajay_ijn
BRFite

Post by ajay_ijn »

may their souls rest in peace.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

To what extent this will impact the saras programme , only time will tell.
ajay_ijn
BRFite

Post by ajay_ijn »

krishnan wrote:To what extent this will impact the saras programme , only time will tell.
they have another flying prototype right? or is it still under production?
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

Prototypes can be built. But what about the confidence of the end user.
kidoman
BRFite

Post by kidoman »

Times Now reporting that 2 Squadron leaders and 1 wing commander were among the 3 persons dead.
This is a big setback..
vavinash
BRFite

Post by vavinash »

RIP to the brave souls.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Just saw the other prototype passing over my house for a landing - 5 minutes ago.

Sad loss of lives. Ideally one would love to see new aircraft fly with no accidents - but it can never be so.

Test pilots truly are brave souls.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

krishnan wrote:Prototypes can be built. But what about the confidence of the end user.
Well end users seem to be flying A 320's quite happily now...A prototype crashed at the Paris air show.
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

RIP.
kmc_chacko
BRFite

Post by kmc_chacko »

:cry:
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

Pilots names per TOI report are Wing Commander Praveen, Wing Commander Shah and Squadron Leader Ilayaraja.
manish
BRFite

Post by manish »

May the brave souls RIP.
Very sad indeed.
Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

Really sad. Brave lives lost serving our country. I hope the media doesnt start painting the Saras program as dead.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Dammit.... :cry: :x

Why is it called SARAS trainer? :-?
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

RIP! This should be the stepping stone for a greater achievment in aerospace.
Avinandan
BRFite

Post by Avinandan »

kidoman wrote:Times Now reporting that 2 Squadron leaders and 1 wing commander were among the 3 persons dead.
This is a big setback..
Were these Pilots in active service in IAF ? I believe the test pilots would be ex-service men.
geeth
BRFite

Post by geeth »

>>>Were these Pilots in active service in IAF ? I believe the test pilots would be ex-service men.

Even ex-servicemen's lives are as valuable as those of the serving ones or for that matter anyone else's.
Nikhil T
BRFite

Post by Nikhil T »

RIP brave souls.
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

:cry: very bad news for NAL
manoba
BRFite

Post by manoba »

Rest in peace brave souls. They would have tried to save the prototype and gave their precious lives in that attempt.
Sad day for their families and for indigenous civil aviation.

Heart felt condolences.
KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by KrishG »

Why is the mortality rate of pilots so high in IAF?? Every year we hear of atleast 2-3 such incidents. I hope the investigation team figures out what went wrong.
vavinash
BRFite

Post by vavinash »

Who said it is high? Care to show us the corresponding numbers for other air forces?
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

:cry: