Indian Economy: News and Discussion (June 8 2008)

Suraj
Forum Moderator

Re: Indian Economy: News and Discussion (June 8 2008)

Post by Suraj »

Auto sales as an economic barometer:
Double-digit, but uneven, auto sales growth in April
The two-wheeler sector, led by Hero Honda, and car market leader Maruti Suzuki together helped the automobile industry achieve year-to-year sales growth of almost 11 per cent in April at 894,058 units. The spurt has come at a time when most companies say the outlook is tough. Total vehicle sales, according to a report released by the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (Siam) today, grew 10.76 per cent compared with the 807,183 units sold in April 2008.

The passenger vehicle industry grew 4.36 per cent, with car manufacturers selling 135,697 units in April. “This has come on the back of 0.54 per cent growth posted by the utility vehicle segment and the multi-purpose vehicle segment,” said Dilip Chenoy, director-general of Siam.

Sales of two-wheelers grew 13.71 per cent to 700,995 units as against 616,468 units in the same month last year. Hero Honda led the growth charts with an increase of 29 per cent to 363,357 units. Bajaj Auto, however, posted a fall of 23 per cent in motorcycles sales during the period. It sold 107,035 units.

Sales of commercial vehicles continued to be under pressure and dipped 11.25 per cent during the period. Sales of vehicles in the medium and heavy commercial vehicles segment dipped almost 42 per cent, while sales of light commercial vehicles grew 28 per cent on the back of good demand for models like Tata Motors’ Magic.
Car sales remain somewhat tepid, but two wheeler sales growth is strong, indicating disposable income growth among lower-middle class consumers is still in good shape. Car sales growth issues may also be due to more stringent loan terms (can anyone in India substantiate if there's differences in loan terms, compared to, say, late 2007 ?) Commercial goods vehicles growth is a source of concern, since it correlates to fixed asset investment. Not a consistent picture overall, but it is just a single month's sampling.
Ananth
BRFite

Post by Ananth »

Talk by our own Vaidya sir @ chennai on tax havens: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYkQo8JI ... re=related There are 4 parts to it.

Also see a related talk by M. R. Venkatesh on participatory notes (pn).:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXosZOomPS8 It also has four parts.
Sanjay
BRFite

Post by Sanjay »

The World Bank is up to its bizarre tricks again:

http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/holn ... 121721.htm

View a rebuttal at:
http://www.rediff.com/money/2008/sep/06guest.htm

Any views on this ?
vsudhir
BRF Oldie

Post by vsudhir »

deleted
Last edited by vsudhir on 12 May 2009 21:53, edited 1 time in total.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

The rebuttal dates back from Sept 2008. If it indeed corresponds to the original WB article, what's the deal with rehashing it now ? We have plenty of problems to deal with, but a reactive approach entailing wringing our hands each time someone releases a drain inspection report does not help; all that results in is a wholly pointless emotional response.

I wanted to avoid having folks just pile upon the WB; there was an attempt by Sanjay (not Sanjay M) some months back to initiate a discussion on this on more rational data-driven lines, but there was little response. I really did not have sufficient data on my own, but neither did anyone else have the interest in looking it up.

The entire knowledge space on poverty is dominated by western reports and 'social scientist' types. The guilt complex the subject engenders, works very well for the purposes of those two entities. However, just shooting the messenger is not an adequate response...
vsudhir
BRF Oldie

Post by vsudhir »

Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

More on the IIP data:
March industrial output dips 2.3%
March 2009:
Mining: 0.4%
Manufacturing: -3.3%
Electricity: 6.3%
Total: -2.3%

Manufacturing comprises close to 80% of the IIP. It ought to be noted that the IIP uses a 1993-94 base year, which the CSO is still to update.
“Looking forward, we expect an uptick in the April industrial production. The Purchasing Manager’s Index for April has shown its first expansion after contracting for five successive months. Motor vehicle sales have also picked up in the last three months, while railway freight has also shown some increase. The excess liquidity in the system, a substantial easing of financial conditions and a decline in some key interest rate spreads suggest to us that activity will pick up in second half of fiscal 2010,” said Pranjul Bhandari and Tushar Poddar, economists with Goldman Sachs.

However, Joshi of Crisil said decisive upturn in industrial output would not happen unless the global economy recovered, which he expected to be not before October 2009.
Najunamar
BRFite

Post by Najunamar »

vina wrote:Does anyone know the cost of mining high quality iron ore in India (Indian ore is of generally good quality) . I have a Goldman Sachs report which says that Brazil's Vale has a cost of $5 per ton (other Brazilian guys have $11), while Chipanda with it's poor quality low grade ore has $60 to $70 per ton.

No wonder Chipanda is long term screwed if it tries to make half the world's steel. The Brazilians, Aussies and Yindians will make them pay a hand and leg for trying to import iron ore (which is a highly concentrated industry, like Oil).
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... public_rss
is a nice article with some information of relevance to this query by Vina Garu.
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

Mumbai tax mop-up paints rosy picture.

In an indication that first-quarter direct tax collections could beat expections, tax deducted at source (TDS) collections in Mumbai were
up 47% for the period April 1 to May 11 compared with the year-ago period, according to data with the income tax department.

Senior I-T officials, who monitor business and industry, said the signs so far suggest the possibility of better year-on-year tax collections in the current quarter.

Total TDS collected from Mumbai so far amounts to Rs 6,600 crore, way above the Rs 4,500 crore collected during the corresponding period last fiscal. Reflecting the impact of the slowdown on corporate and individuals alike, tax collections from Mumbai were 13% lower than the targeted Rs 1,50,000 crore in the previous fiscal (FY09). Mumbai accounts for 35-40% of India’s total tax collections.

Since advance taxes for the first-quarter are paid by June 15, the department is not in a position to support its optimism with figures. “It is too early to say. Anyway, advance tax collections will start coming in June,” SSN Moorthy, chairman , Central Board of Direct taxes (CBDT), told ET.

The department says it has the machinery in place to monitor industry and business. Its officers liaise with companies and tax professionals to gauge business trends and possible tax collections for each quarter. One figure that is available as an indicator of what lies in store is TDS collection. This is because TDS is paid every month, unlike advance tax, which is paid in four instalments during a fiscal (June, September, December and March).

TDS collection from Mumbai in FY09 was 27 % higher than in the previous fiscal. The Mumbai region collected Rs 39,000 crore last fiscal by way of TDS while the total advance tax collection stood at Rs 130,000 crore.

FY09 saw an unprecedented 70% growth in collections during the first two months that prompted the finance ministry to revise upward its all-India target to Rs 3,95,000 crore.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

FDI inflows exceed FII outflows in Oct'08 - Mar'09
In what can be seen as India’s relative strength amid nations reeling under the onslaught of a global recession, foreign direct investment (FDI) worth $11 billion flowed into the country between October 2008 and March 2009 even as foreign institutional investors (FIIs) pulled out $8.3 billion through the portfolio route over the same period.

FDI is long-term and, therefore, more stable in nature compared with investments through the portfolio route, which tend to be more speculative and volatile.

However, for the full fiscal (FY09), Reserve Bank data show that FDI was almost flat at $33.6 billion ($34.4 billion) while FIIs pulled out $13.8 billion. Of the $33.6 billion FDI in FY09, only a third was invested in the second-half while a bulk of it entered during the first half. This is the first time since 1999 fiscal, which recorded FDI at $2.5 billion and FII at a negative $61 million, that FDI inflows have offset FII outflows by such a huge margin.

The FII figures by RBI include investments into GDRs/ADRs and other offshore funds issued by Indian companies, which comprise a tiny portion of the overall investments. FDI also includes earnings reinvested by MNCs and acquisition of shares by non-residents.
Sanjay M
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanjay M »

WSJ:

Election Results No Boost for Reform

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-200 ... 19242.html
Sanjay M
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanjay M »

Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

FEER, WSJ, Time, Reuters etc all called the elections wrong. They all projected a split verdict and a hung parliament with a very weak centre held to ransom by large regional parties. As it turned out, the results were nothing of the sort. It was characterized by the rout of both the Commies and the large regional parties like BSP. In that sense, they have plenty of egg on their face - their dismissive 'bald men fighting over a comb' view of the elections turned out very wrong.

I don't want to discuss political implications, but the economic implications are, IMHO, very positive. Both the Congress and UPA have been strong backers of economic reforms when they had the necessary political capital. The 2004 UPA regime was hampered by a historically high Left entry to the Lok Sabha, that has now dissipated.

With the world economy the way it is, we need a stable centre with sufficient political capital. As someone primarily interested in the subject of economics, I make little distinction between Congress and BJP, if either have a large enough mandate of their own (e.g. ~200 LS seats). Both will make policies aligned with their own support/business patronism base. But overall, I only see good things for the economy about either national party having a strong mandate to act.

With the Left routed in WB and elsewhere, I hope the SEZ Act implementation can proceed faster. Kamal Nath deserves to retain his Commerce Ministry post. With a greater mandate, they can frame a more effective eminent domain statute that enables effective land acquisition without having the Left hold it all to ransom.

Since Chidambaram has lost, there needs to be an effective person in the FM role. Who are the candidates ? Hopefully not another micromanaging beancounter like PC. We need someone with more capital within the Congress hierarchy, and good execution abilities.

My primary concerns are the UPAs:
* lack of focus on road infrastructure. They have dropped the ball on NHDP to a significant extent.
* overly claiming projects like NREGS benefited them. Extending those would be a costly mistake.
sivabala
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sivabala »

Suraj wrote:...Since Chidambaram has lost,...
Just a correction, no nitpick. PC has won, albeit, a very narrow margin.

Chidambaram declared elected from Sivaganga
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Thanks for the update. I see he won after the recount. However, I don't have much confidence in him as an FM again. He lacks sufficient weight within the party, and seems to be a headstrong micromanager. MMS was a good FM when working with PVNR covering for him. I thought Jaswant Singh did a good job in his brief stint. Perhaps Pranab or A K Antony this time ?

I hope Kamal Nath is retained at the Commerce Ministry. He has done an excellent job of safeguarding Indian interests at the WTO and assorted fora, articulating our stand and collaborating with the G-20 to take on western pressure. The Finance Ministry may hate his guts, but he's done well.

During the last 5 years, on the economic side, the FM was the weakest link of the troika of FinMin, ComMin and the RBI. The latter two had capable leads in Kamal Nath and Y V Reddy (now Subbarao). I hope there will be a capable person in the FM post, who can collaborate well with ComMin, as well as (I can hope) someone suitable in law and/or environment ministries.

Having a FM who has the confidence and backing of the PM and party leadership to act without being undermined, like MMS was able to under PVNR, would be ideal. There's also the alternative of a leader who's also an economic visionary, like Ikeda Hayato in Japan in the 50s & 60s, and Park Chung Hee soon after in SoKo, but I don't see anyone on those lines among the current Congress leadership.
Sanjay M
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanjay M »

So, Suraj, when is Moh'd Afzal Guru going to be hanged? Any word on what level of political capital will allow Congress to do the needful? Or is that for the 2014 election? Presumably, Kasab can rest easy in the knowledge that he may die of old age before his turn comes.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Sanjay M, this is the economics thread. I specifically restricted myself to trying to derive a picture of who will occupy political positions that are directly related to the economy.

I see the prognosis of economic policies by UPA'09 to be different from UPA'04 simply because these elections gave the largest mandate to a single party since the 1984 elections. I don't expect them to make every decision on the lines of my own liking, but I value the fact that the political space is primarily covered by two large national parties, with one having sufficient mandate to legislate, but the other not being so marginalized as to not be an effective opposition.

Please keep political rhetoric on non-economic topics to the appropriate thread in the strat forum. Further political polemics in this thread on the lines of your last post will be deleted. Thanks.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Finally a coherent answer on why Kangress won. It really warms the cockles of my heart. I admit I was an NREGA basher but that was the "technician" in me. It seems to have worked atleast reasonably. Sure fix leakages. But then where is your heart if you can't take care of the distressed sections of the Indian population!.

Bharat Shining, Congress Smiling, Left Whining

SWAMINOMICS
Bharat Shining, Cong Smiling, Left Whining17 May 2009, 0115 hrs IST, Swaminathan S Anklesaria Aiyar

I was dead wrong in predicting a hung parliament with Mayawati having a kingmaking role. Yet, I cannot resist recalling the heading of my March 9 column, 'India slumps, Bharat rises, Congress smiles'. Despite a global recession that has hammered industry, rural areas - called Bharat - have prospered, enabling Congress to win a smashing victory.

Indian voters throw out 80% of all incumbent governments, especially in bad economic times. The global recession has hit India hard - industrial production slumped into negative growth, and exports were down 33% last month. Rural consumer prices are up almost 10%.

For Congress to get re-elected in such circumstances is remarkable. The main reason is prosperity in rural areas, which have 70% of the population. The entire organized sector has barely 30 million workers out of India's total workforce of 500 million, which is overwhelmingly rural. Industrial captains, trade unions and information technology may hog newspaper headlines, but are barely visible to the rural millions.

Luck matters. The monsoons have been good for five years, helping agriculture average 4.5% growth, the fastest ever. This growth has been spread widely, and not limited to a few areas, as in the early Green Revolution. Government food stocks have risen to a mountainous 50 million tonnes. Cotton has become a major export, thanks to BT cotton.

Historically, bumper crops have been associated with falling prices for farmers, while high agricultural prices have been associated with drought and farm distress. But in the last two years, we have witnessed the extraordinary combination of bumper harvests and high prices.

The background to this is global. Record global growth, spearheaded by China, has hugely increased the demand for all commodities, and international food prices went through the roof after late 2007. India responded first by banning exports and then by raising domestic procurement prices substantially. This kept domestic supplies high while ensuring that farmers enjoyed the highest-ever prices. Yet, these high prices are in line with global prices, so no painful price contraction is required in coming years.

The last monsoon was excellent in the Gangetic plain, but poor in many parts of central India, including the cotton belt. However, the procurement price of cotton went up a whopping 40%, so even drought-affected farmers with low yields earned higher incomes. And millions of farmers benefited from farm loan waiver.

High food prices are good for farmers but terrible for landless labourers and urban workers, who normally oust governments that bring inflation. The price rise, as measured by the wholesale price index, is down to almost zero. But the consumer price index for rural labourers - in which food items have a high weightage - reveals almost 10% inflation.

Why was this not fatal for Congress in rural areas? Mainly because labour incomes rose even faster. A series of good harvests greatly boosted rural employment, in agriculture and in allied activities. And the National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (NREGS), despite several abuses, reduced rural underemployment and raised wages. Indeed, Punjab's agriculture is suffering from a severe shortage of Bihari migrant labour - Biharis are now finding enough work at home (all is well with the world and peace progress and prosperity if this trend strengthens). Finally, several states have substantially raised minimum wages. In the past, such wage decrees were widely ignored. But the NREGS pays the minimum wage, and this in turn is forcing up the open market rate. What's more, the scheme pays the same rate to women and men, reducing the wage discrimination that women have historically suffered from.

With both farmers and rural labourers prospering, rural sales of fast moving consumer goods have been booming. New cellphone connections hit a record 15.6 million in March, mostly in rural areas. Hero Honda's motorcycle sales, targeted at rural areas, are up 24%.

Voters have hammered the Left Front (oooh.. I luv that) . Its parliamentary tally fell from 60 to 25. It hoped to be kingmaker in New Delhi, but instead now faces defeat in the next state Assembly election in both Kerala and West Bengal. It needs to ask itself why it went ballistic over the nuclear deal with the US, for ideological reasons totally ignored by ordinary voters. It claimed that Muslim voters would be alienated if India backed the US and Security Council pressure on Iran's nuclear ambitions, but in fact, Congress gained massively from the Muslim vote in UP. The Left Front needs to finally stop fighting the Cold War and wake up to the realities of the 21st century.

Looking ahead, Congress must persist with its rural emphasis, and old-agenda items like liberalising pensions and foreign investment. But it needs a new agenda too. Education reform is a key - we must check absenteeism, issue school vouchers, and reduce hurdles to private sector entry in education. Administrative reform is equally vital, to improve the aam aadmi's access to public services.