Airborne Early Warning & Control: News & Discussion

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
p_saggu
BRFite

Re: AEW&C News & Discussion

Post by p_saggu »

An array like that on an Eitam (6 Panels) on a larger platform will be the answer that all are looking for.

I think the most ideal solution lies in the two choices,
1.the Chapati radome and
2.Wedgetail with a 6 panel Eitam like config

Both have their pros and cons.
vivek-ji what will be the drag like on a wedgetail config? Will a large vertical config not affect maneuverability by acting like a large non-maneuverable fin in a wedgetail? I suppose the drag will be much lesser than the Radome arrangement.
viveks
BRFite

Post by viveks »

Actuall,y I have a feeling the isreali phalcon configuration with isreal is far more superior than our phalcon configuration. Can anyone draw comparisons between the capabilities of both...or that nobody shall know and that will remain classified.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

viveks,

Perhaps you should visit iai.co.il to check out what they.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

PratikDas wrote:Conformal antennas do have some disadvantages as captured in this BR post in the Aero India 2009 forum, viz.
Conformal antenna:
- no windows - increased operator fatigue.

Podded Antenna:
- More space and windows also means taht the operators are less fatigued and stressed, a major factor in their performance.
Our Phalcon does not seem to have any windows either.
neerajb
BRFite

Post by neerajb »

Nice analysis as always.
vivek_ahuja wrote:That ratio is not with lift but with lift coefficient.
Yes that is the definition of induced drag coefficient i.e. induced drag per unit area per unit dynamic pressure. But Induced drag can be calculated as:

D (induced drag) = (Lift)^2/ (Dynamic pressure * pi * Wing area * Aspect ratio * oswald's efficiency factor)

and this is what I mentioned in my post.

Can I have your email ID?

Cheers....
Last edited by neerajb on 05 Jun 2009 13:54, edited 1 time in total.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the E3 doesnt have any windows either, neither does E8

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... 750pix.jpg

I think the crew rest area should have windows. its a problem that can be retrofixed.
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

Hi Singha

I understand where are you are coming from for the well being of the crew but ... Windows cause nothing but issues such as reshaping of metal around windows. Extra Rivets, Weaker glass or plastic whatever it is replacing continuous metal sheet. .. extra checks to be done in the maintenance cycles for cracks etc, replacement costs kick in.

Any crewmen(women) coming off the monitors during flight would love to grab a blanket and sleep rather than stare out the window. Lack of windows would also mean that lights out does not have to be enforced on the crew.

My 2 paise
k prasad
BRFite

Post by k prasad »

Khalsa wrote:Hi Singha

I understand where are you are coming from for the well being of the crew but ... Windows cause nothing but issues such as reshaping of metal around windows. Extra Rivets, Weaker glass or plastic whatever it is replacing continuous metal sheet. .. extra checks to be done in the maintenance cycles for cracks etc, replacement costs kick in.

Any crewmen(women) coming off the monitors during flight would love to grab a blanket and sleep rather than stare out the window. Lack of windows would also mean that lights out does not have to be enforced on the crew.

My 2 paise
@Khalsa, The window thing was something that Dr. Christopher of CABS mentioned, but yes... interesting points.
Rakesh
Forum Moderator

Post by Rakesh »

Still waiting for the interior pics of the IL-76 AEW aircraft that Shiv Aroor promised on his blog. Looks like Aroor got chomped down by the IAF :)

http://livefist.blogspot.com/2009/06/tv ... emony.html

From the above link
Coming up: exclusive photos from the inside of the Phalcon. Stay tuned!
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

About the windows, at least on the IL-76 the entire nose section is one big window, so it may not be that bad. They also may have virtual windows on their monitors that give them a choice of external views.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

Victor wrote:About the windows, at least on the IL-76 the entire nose section is one big window, so it may not be that bad. They also may have virtual windows on their monitors that give them a choice of external views.
If you are referring to the navigator window in the Ilyushin, one of the key differences between Beriev A-50 and IL-76 is that the navigator window is covered up in the A-50. So no windows there either.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I was only taking of around 10 windows, 5 on each side,... equipped with blackout kit ofcourse.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

^^^ CCTV of outside with replay on console for those crew members curious about the world :)
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Windows actually add to structural weakness in an aircraft as well as design complexity. And considering that nothing much can be seen for 99% of most long haul flights - I would have thought that only the AWACS pilot needs to see anything. Nobody else needs windows.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

'need' is subjective word. psychologically we need to see the daylight and nighttime change and see the horizon to feel mentally comfortable imo. but ofcourse the reverse argument is that submariners also face the same issue and for much longer. needs some special training to counter all these mental issues maybe.

there is a reason why workplaces that allow natural sunlight and a outside view tend to improve
employee morale and productivity compared to a constant florescent lighting esp of the direct kind and no outside view.

many cos spend a lot to fix that as in bounced lighting off the ceiling, floor to ceiling glass, low height of cube walls, pastel or white colour of furnishings, ....
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

what windows? what about the submariners? Are they a different breed?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

submariners are a different breed. you cant take anyone and make them one. rigourous mental and physical training is there. no matter what the training, some will lose their sanity stuck in such a confined space for months.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Singha wrote: there is a reason why workplaces that allow natural sunlight and a outside view tend to improve
employee morale and productivity compared to a constant florescent lighting esp of the direct kind and no outside view.
With respect Singha - some of these occupations are not necessarily very exciting or compellingly interesting and bells and whistles need to be added for "morale" - perhaps because the same job is done day in and day out. Equating the job of personnel on an AWACS needing windows may be stretching it a bit far. There are many professions that put people in rooms under artificial lights for 8 or more hours a day that do not require daylight for morale because the nature of the job and companionship is compellingly interesting and may have deliberately been chosen as a lifestyle. Many anesthesiologists I know enter an operating room at 7 AM and do not emerge for 10 to 12 hours and need no morale boosting because the work is just too interesting and occupies the mind fully, and there is adequate time off work.
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

Most modern air-warfare is at night. AWACS maybe at station 24hrs but they surely won't see anything outside for amusement.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

JTull-ji, i dont see much evidence that PAF has sufficient night fighting capability or BVR capability to keep us busy. however, your point is well made
andy B
BRFite

Post by andy B »

woohoo :twisted: Inside pics to ze IAF Phalcon :

http://livefist.blogspot.com/2009/06/ex ... alcon.html
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

man the IAF has really changed. It used to be that the aircraft insides were fiercely offlimits. now we have the phalcon insider pics within days.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

True words Jagan gaaru...inspite of all the push and pull...all I could get was within 5 meters of a Mig-25 in late 90s...and now we have the super cool pics of a AWACS no less....
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

andy B wrote:woohoo :twisted: Inside pics to ze IAF Phalcon :

Stunning stuff....

Now that this frontier has been breached, cant wait for inside pics of the ATV!!! :twisted: :twisted:
sunilUpa
BRFite

Post by sunilUpa »

Jagan wrote:man the IAF has really changed. It used to be that the aircraft insides were fiercely offlimits. now we have the phalcon insider pics within days.
Jagan, if you look carefully at those pictures, it appears that they are photographs of 'picture board'. I think IAF had put up these pictures boards of AWACS interior and journalists took photographs of the boards (Notice the reflections - Hazy bands and the frames of boards).
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

good catch sunil, i was wondering what those reflections are
rajsunder
BRFite

Post by rajsunder »

sum wrote:
andy B wrote:woohoo :twisted: Inside pics to ze IAF Phalcon :

Stunning stuff....

Now that this frontier has been breached, cant wait for inside pics of the ATV!!! :twisted: :twisted:
Jingo's can never be satisfied :mrgreen:
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Jagan wrote:good catch sunil, i was wondering what those reflections are
Shiv Arror responds in the comments section that these photos were displayed to journalists by IAF and the ones on his blog were pictures of these boards taken on a camera phone
p_saggu
BRFite

Post by p_saggu »

Those look like very large TFT screens on the seats (For in-flight entertainment ?) :wink:

Comms station?
It is more like the Star ship's Transporter room console, "beam me up scotty"!
andy B
BRFite

Post by andy B »

Wow I have been checking and rechecking those pics time and again since yesterday and it gives me goose bumps everytime :oops: just imagining all the supa-dupa ITvity that would be going on, on all those consoles. I count 11 consoles and the star trek beamer console would be a comms console :?:

Anyway given the way these consoles are configured I wonder where the MC would sit :?:

With this asset the IAF is now closer than ever into becoming what I call a "blue water Air Force" :twisted:

God Bless and God Speed to the IAF...touching the skies with glory indeed 8) :D
naird
BRFite

Post by naird »

p_saggu wrote:Those look like very large TFT screens on the seats (For in-flight entertainment ?) :wink:
I always though Phalcon had a sideways sitting arrangement instead of one behind the another. In fact i do remember that in one of the phalcon layout diagrams the sitting arrangement was sideways..Hmm wonder if thats because of the aircraft....

Can anyone shed light one the second picture with all those weird looking dials and knobs ? EW ?
rajsunder
BRFite

Post by rajsunder »

naird wrote:
p_saggu wrote:Those look like very large TFT screens on the seats (For in-flight entertainment ?) :wink:
I always though Phalcon had a sideways sitting arrangement instead of one behind the another. In fact i do remember that in one of the phalcon layout diagrams the sitting arrangement was sideways..Hmm wonder if thats because of the aircraft....

Can anyone shed light one the second picture with all those weird looking dials and knobs ? EW ?
looks like something related to the plane rather than the AWACS part. May be a flight engineers console :?:
p_saggu
BRFite

Post by p_saggu »

^^^
This cabin layout looks fishy. The floor is artificial and so are the walls.
This seems to be a mock-up of the crew cabin prepared on the ground.

This proves that the yindoos are passing off an IL-76 with a chapati on top as a AWACS onlee. :mrgreen:
neerajb
BRFite

Post by neerajb »

p_saggu wrote:^^^
This cabin layout looks fishy. The floor is artificial and so are the walls.
This seems to be a mock-up of the crew cabin prepared on the ground.
Nice catch. The straight walls and ceiling gives it up all.

Cheers....
John Snow
BRFite

Post by John Snow »

somebody was making fun of TSPaki Blimp based AEW etc.

Read on please

Spies in the sky
http://www.economist.com/science/tq/dis ... d=13725815

edited based on sri sree input :wink:
Last edited by John Snow on 13 Jun 2009 07:28, edited 2 times in total.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

IL76 has a large cago hold. I had always claimed the phalcon would be some sort of
'shipping container sized boxes' stuffed inside to get around the fact of there being no
passenger and cargo decks as on a E3 or wedgetail. that would explain the straight
walls and ceilings. there are probably 'raw' areas outside where the eqpt racks are
mounted.
Sree
BRFite

Post by Sree »

John Snow wrote:somebody was making fun of TSPaki Blimp based AEW etc.

Read on please

Spies in the sky

Jun 4th 2009
From The Economist print edition

Military technology: Blimps equipped with remote-sensing electronics are cheaper than drone aircraft, and have many other advantages

http://www.economist.com/science/tq/dis ... d=13725815

OT, but much of the text of this article appeared almost word-for-word in the Pakistani newspaper Dawn, a few days ago.

Regards

Sree
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

b_patel
BRFite

Post by b_patel »

I know India is planning on buying 3 more Awacs but on a different platform. At least i think its a different platform. Is there any chance that they would ask the Wedgetail to compete not that a decent amount of the bugs have been worked out. Its mounted on the 737 the same as the P-8I
Jamal K. Malik
BRFite

Post by Jamal K. Malik »