Civil Aviation Development & Discussion

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Re: Civil Aviation Development & Discussion

Post by chetak »

nelson wrote:http://profit.ndtv.com/2009/07/13171246 ... r-Ind.html

what a retrograde step?

Much as I hate to say it in these free market days, it is the correct step.

The govt must have a say in how their money is spent.

"innocent" private airlines often bribe their way into the corridors of power and get the regulations changed to suit themselves.

I willingly flew IA/ AI in the past, not the best, I know, but they were ok.
I would continue to fly Indian on domestic routes if I could.

"Shut up, take your seat and mind your own business" is the best way to deal with IA/AI. Sometimes if the delhi flight was delayed, they have willingly and without additional expenses routed me through other cities. Often a solicitous meal coupon was mysteriously managed for me while I waited. Many people have a good opinion of the government carriers.

Flight dates and times were changed at very short notice on just phone calls without any additional charges. At the check in counter a simple request for upgrade to business class would be honored six times out of ten. Those were the days when I traveled about twenty five days in a month for a little over three years continuously.

But the public sector rapacious mentality is most evident among the flight and cabin crews. I have seen many booze bottles and plenty of food being taken away. Hell, one time they even took pity on me and gave me a bottle of expensive champagne at rome where I deplaned along with the crew change.
Suppiah
BRF Oldie

Post by Suppiah »

I guess we have to accept babus would be forced to fly AI. One can be sure the senior & influential amongst them will find ways to circumvent that,so it is only lower level babus that will be 'affected' and hence no sympathy for them.

But what is worrying is that MOCA should be referred to in case of exceptions. This means MOCA is just functioning as Ministry of Air India which is a problem. There was a time when Ministry of P&T was ministry of BSNL but now we have TRAI etc. That is the way to go.
Suppiah
BRF Oldie

Post by Suppiah »

chetak wrote:
Hell, one time they even took pity on me and gave me a bottle of expensive champagne at rome where I deplaned along with the crew change.
As Perry Mason would say, you have become 'accessory after the fact' to a theft and lay yourself open to charge of receiving stolen property knowing it to be stolen... :lol: :lol:
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

Suppiah wrote:I guess we have to accept babus would be forced to fly AI. One can be sure the senior & influential amongst them will find ways to circumvent that,so it is only lower level babus that will be 'affected' and hence no sympathy for them.
Well, the babulog will not face much of the problem we cattle face, right? Except the flight cancellation, techie snags etc.

Chetak, honestly, were you "just an ordinary passenger"? Or had any special attributes on you?
Suppiah
BRF Oldie

Post by Suppiah »

Better way to deal with it is if the industry bodies like CEI, FICCI etc., to cry 'discrimination' and decide that none of the members' executives will travel AI until this ban on travel is lifted. I think Jet and Mallya have this kind of influence on the moneybag gangs.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Dileep wrote:
Suppiah wrote:
Chetak, honestly, were you "just an ordinary passenger"? Or had any special attributes on you?
Dileep ji,

I have a frequent flyer status on all Indian carriers and a number of others.

I guess that it was just the unnerving frequency of regularly seeing my ugly mug that caused most cabin crew and checkin counter staff to help me out. I also know a large number of pilots because of my background.

There are many like me who fly regularly and the airlines respond because of the business we bring. Usually the frequent flyer status on one airline will spur another to do a bit more for you hoping that you may change your business to them.

It was only IA/AI who responded with their hearts. For all the rest it was a plastic smile and usually the miniskirted PYT on the other side
of the counter dealt with all in a distant and dismissive manner.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

Such restrictions on having to take the national carrier only exist in other 'free-economies' too. When we had visiting scientists from outside of US, they had to travel by delta if travel money was paid out of some federal funds.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Bade wrote:Such restrictions on having to take the national carrier only exist in other 'free-economies' too. When we had visiting scientists from outside of US, they had to travel by delta if travel money was paid out of some federal funds.
Similarly with a large majority of Israeli companies.

Even though the El Al tickets are a lot more expensive, many Israeli companies strictly enforce this condition.
nelson
BRFite

Post by nelson »

the problem with traveling AI is not mere sentiment or smiling service.
the problems are like...
1 there is no connectivity between many cities, even the nouvelle metros, like between pune , bangalore or chennai amongst them.
2 now if one has to hop once or twice over a 300 mile journey the transit is uneconomical in all terms ie time, effort, money. like pune to bangalore via mumbai :!:
3 the benefit accruable to govt through AI under such orders is notional, since by other airlines the travel cost reimbursable to employees is within the ltc80 fares of AI, whereas due to seat constraints of single airline AI the cost debitable to govt now will be full fare (upto six times base ltc 80 fare).
if the govt chooses pay AI or itself by whatever means putting constraints on others and at the same time promoting mediocre management within itself (or the PSUs) it is lose-lose for both.

this arrangement can at best be a stop gap, to resuscitate AI.
the solution is not protectionism but competitiveness.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

Ease of connectivity is dependent on destination and a few other factors. For instance for the last decade or so if one wanted to fly from Chicago, NY area and most of the east coast to Kerala, then the shortest connection times were for Air-India alone. All other private biggies would dump you at the cow-shed of an airport at the domestic terminal of Mumbai late in the night with no food or comfortable seating and plenty of mosquitoes to catch the early morning ( 8 am) Jet flight to Cochin or TVM, whereas with Air-India one would get a smooth connection at 2 am from the Intl terminal to Cochin.

So you can see why I cared two hoots about Jet and their uppity pyts. :)
Sriman
BRFite
Location: Committee for the Promotion of Vice and the Prevention of Virtue

Post by Sriman »

Bade wrote:Ease of connectivity is dependent on destination and a few other factors. For instance for the last decade or so if one wanted to fly from Chicago, NY area and most of the east coast to Kerala, then the shortest connection times were for Air-India alone. All other private biggies would dump you at the cow-shed of an airport at the domestic terminal of Mumbai late in the night with no food or comfortable seating and plenty of mosquitoes to catch the early morning ( 8 am) Jet flight to Cochin or TVM, whereas with Air-India one would get a smooth connection at 2 am from the Intl terminal to Cochin.
Agreed. FWIW, flew AI last month on a trip to Desh and the in flight experience was certainly better than AA and AF. But their ground support in Desh was very poor. My return flight was delayed by 2 hours due a delayed incoming flight and no ground staff turned up at the gate for close to 90 minutes after scheduled departure :eek:. Apart from an announcement on the PA that the flight was delayed there was no other information available. There were no AI staff to be found anywhere in the terminal. Tempers flared up and finally someone turned up. To make matters worse, the international terminal at Mumbai is way too small for the number of flights it supports. By the time we boarded, the entire gate area was badly crowded. I hope there are more direct flight options to Bangalore soon.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

Sriman wrote: Agreed. FWIW, flew AI last month on a trip to Desh and the in flight experience was certainly better than AA and AF. But their ground support in Desh was very poor. My return flight was delayed by 2 hours due a delayed incoming flight and no ground staff turned up at the gate for close to 90 minutes after scheduled departure :eek:. Apart from an announcement on the PA that the flight was delayed there was no other information available. There were no AI staff to be found anywhere in the terminal. Tempers flared up and finally someone turned up. To make matters worse, the international terminal at Mumbai is way too small for the number of flights it supports. By the time we boarded, the entire gate area was badly crowded. I hope there are more direct flight options to Bangalore soon.
OK. That seems to be their standard operating procedure to deal with delays. No official in-sight. Even the crew would be informed well in advance and getting the extra zzzs meanwhile :-)

OTOH, during my last India visit this year, KF along with other airlines were running late from the Kolkata airport due to fog in January. But, they never gave any estimated time for departure, and I did find a lot of irate passengers bully the pyts and the reed-thin associate who came to her protection. :) In this particular instance, there was no reason for such grief for the passengers, unless they thought safety was less important then getting where they want to fly to in time.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

IMHO, the AI staff was smart to avoid showing their face around. We believe yelling is a privilege, and a silver bullet that can solve any problem. Why have the trouble when you don't really have to?
Suppiah
BRF Oldie

Post by Suppiah »

IMHO there is no need for TV sets or other forms on entertainment at our desi airports. Just a live feed of any delayed flight will do. There will be aunties crying, Sardarjees pushing through the crowd shouting, peace-makers making their own noises trying to out shout everyone else into silence, someone waving fists, all shouting at the same time, the hapless crew pleading and plastic-smiling and oh-we-are-sorry'ing and so on...I once spent an entire hour watching the show while waiting for a AD flight. :rotfl: :rotfl:
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

I have Air Deccan pull this stunt too many times. If the flight is late, there is no one at the counter to even inform about the delay. All I want is information on how long the delay is going to be. They know what time the incoming aircraft left its departure airport, and they know what time it will likely arrive. But there is no one to give that information. And people start gathering around the counters because no one knows whats happening. And if they see any AD airline representative, they surround her. And this is not limited to AD. Saw same thing in New York by Air India, never once saying that the flight was delayed and boarding people way beyond the departure time. No one knew when the flight would leave. It finally left 2 hours past scheduled departure.

Most of the people just want information. You can at least go and make a call or have some snacks or go out for a while or so on. Just putting all people in boarding area and not telling them when their flight will leave is bad CRM.
p_saggu
BRFite

Post by p_saggu »

Is air deccan still alive? They owe me 1800 bucks for a refunded ticket. No refund has arrived for the last 1.5 years.
Should I go to the Consumer protection forum?
vsudhir
BRF Oldie

Post by vsudhir »

Most of the people just want information. You can at least go and make a call or have some snacks or go out for a while or so on. Just putting all people in boarding area and not telling them when their flight will leave is bad CRM.
At least the electronic boards announcing arrival/departure should carry that info! Airlines would dowell to poolup and create a 1-800 type inquiry helpline to inform abt delays besides. Basic things, no great shakes.
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

p_saggu wrote:Is air deccan still alive? They owe me 1800 bucks for a refunded ticket. No refund has arrived for the last 1.5 years.
Air Dakkan having been gobbled up by the spirit king the chances are low that you will see your money. KF owes me Rs6000/- from 6 months ago which is lost for good from the looks of it. Orbitz the travel agent and now the credit card company has washed their hands off, citing more than 6 months. KF of course is not reachable in any meaningful way from massa. They did not accept any massa credit cards while I was there physically at their office, except American Express. :evil: So much for customer service and other hype. They are just good for ogling at the PYTs in their size zero dress on a size 2 frame.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

> ogling PYT in size 0 dress on size 2 frame

the needs of the many > the needs of the few :mrgreen:
Jaeger
BRFite

Post by Jaeger »

Bade wrote:
p_saggu wrote:Is air deccan still alive? They owe me 1800 bucks for a refunded ticket. No refund has arrived for the last 1.5 years.
Air Dakkan having been gobbled up by the spirit king the chances are low that you will see your money. KF owes me Rs6000/- from 6 months ago which is lost for good from the looks of it. Orbitz the travel agent and now the credit card company has washed their hands off, citing more than 6 months. KF of course is not reachable in any meaningful way from massa. They did not accept any massa credit cards while I was there physically at their office, except American Express. :evil: So much for customer service and other hype. They are just good for ogling at the PYTs in their size zero dress on a size 2 frame.
Believe me, KF owes a whole lot of people a whole lot more - and they aren't going to be paying up any time soon. I work in the media industry, and KF has a terrible reputation for defaulting on payments to agencies, vendors - the list is endless. The debt to only ONE agency that I know of is in the region of 2.5 crores. This is debt to ONE agency. Anyone owed money by the spirit king in his various avatars can do their BP levels a favour and kiss that money goodbye - accept it, it's gone.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

Apparently they own some major oil company few hundred crores
Jaeger
BRFite

Post by Jaeger »

Yup. Naming no names, there are few suppliers of services or products of any kind that they don't owe serious money to. I have a feeling that there's going to be reckoning in the domestic airline space pretty soon...
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Believe me, KF owes a whole lot of people a whole lot more - and they aren't going to be paying up any time soon. I work in the media industry, and KF has a terrible reputation for defaulting on payments to agencies, vendors - the list is endless. The debt to only ONE agency that I know of is in the region of 2.5 crores. This is debt to ONE agency. Anyone owed money by the spirit king in his various avatars can do their BP levels a favour and kiss that money goodbye - accept it, it's gone.
This is what even i had heard and reported some time back (even Dr.Mallya's pilot, an ex-IA col has been unpaid for months) but many on BR said that KF wasn't so bad and was pretty decent in payments. :-?

Not sure which is true.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

The mess is even deeper

http://in.news.yahoo.com/20/20090716/37 ... 50-cr.html
New Delhi, July 16 (PTI) Vijay Mallaya-owned Kingfisher Airlines owes state-run oil companies over Rs 950 crore in unpaid fuel bills while financial crisis-hit NACIL has cleared almost two-thirds of its outstanding. Kingfisher Airlines owned Rs 1,030.08 crore in unpaid bills for buying jet fuel from Indian Oil, Bharat Petroleum and Hindustan Petroleum on December 31, 2008.

It stood at Rs 950.46 crore as on May 31, 2009, Petroleum Minister Murli Deora said in a written reply in Lok Sabha. On the other hand, National Aviation Company India Ltd (NACIL),which operates the merged state carriers Air India and Indian Airlines, has reduced its outstanding from Rs 1,311.91 crore to Rs 472.93 crore.

Jet Airways has reduced outstanding from Rs 1,266.21 crore to Rs 760.07 crore, Deora said. Kingfisher owned most to HPCL, with its unpaid fuel bill running into Rs 598.78 crore.

It owed HPCL Rs 523.34 crore on December 31, 2008. Kingfisher also owned BPCL Rs 314.32 crore and another Rs 37.36 crore to IOC. NACIL reduced its outstanding towards IOC from Rs 877.13 crore to Rs 307.49 crore while that towards BPCL came down to Rs 91.56 crore from Rs 250.43 crore.

It owned HPCL Rs 73.88 crore, down from Rs 184.35 crore, Deora said. In case airlines fail to pay their dues, they are put on ''cash and carry'' (pay cash to buy fuel) and interest is recovered on all overdue payments, he said.
mmasand
BRFite

Post by mmasand »

KF is now on prepaid arrangement with Bharat Petroleum(domestic) and Shell for International flights...no pay no fuel...!!
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Airport expansion work on defence land ordered stopped
The defence authorities had agreed to the AAI proposal to construct a new building for the defence instead of the existing structure at Pallavaram. Already, the AAI had completed the construction of the new technical office complex and erected signal transmitters on the land by May. The defence authorities had visited the new building, expressed their satisfaction and commended the AAI for completing the work in record time.
However, on July 17 a section of defence authorities entered the project site (measuring 16.25 acres area) with armed personnel and stopped construction at the site.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

Defense guys always does that. Because of the naval air station here, any tall structures need the navy's permission. When the TV tower came, first the navy demanded the height to be reduced to 125mtrs from the original 150 mtrs. Then, after the station is commissioned, the new adrail saab sent letters demanding demolition of the tower. All the records of the approval was digged up and sent to shut him up.

Same thing happened when the new airport was being planned. It took some DefMin level ass-kicking by good old Karunakaran to get the old salts fold the sail and retreat.
Virupaksha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Virupaksha »

Dileep wrote:Defense guys always does that. Because of the naval air station here, any tall structures need the navy's permission. When the TV tower came, first the navy demanded the height to be reduced to 125mtrs from the original 150 mtrs. Then, after the station is commissioned, the new adrail saab sent letters demanding demolition of the tower. All the records of the approval was digged up and sent to shut him up.

Same thing happened when the new airport was being planned. It took some DefMin level ass-kicking by good old Karunakaran to get the old salts fold the sail and retreat.
Dileep, did you even read the article?

They had permissions for working on 3 acres. They didnt had permissions on 16 acres, which is where the construction was asked to be stopped.

Before saying bad and wrong thing about defence guys, it is better to read the article atleast once.

quotes from the article.
Airports Authority of India officials said that following a meeting with the Chief Secretary, the AAI had entered the 2.99 acres of defence land, part of a 19.24-acre parcel of defence property,
The defence authorities had informally, i.e. basically illegally allowed the AAI to start the earthwork and clear the bushes on the site, measuring 16.25 acres. However, on July 17 a section of defence authorities entered the project site (measuring 16.25 acres area) with armed personnel and stopped construction at the site.illegality stopped
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

The article further notes:
The AAI officer said that at the meeting in February the local defence authorities had agreed to permit the AAI to start civil works relating to the international terminal expansion, and this fact had been recorded in the minutes of the meeting.
Just a show of arrogance, that is what exactly I mentioned in my post. The afsar came with the armed guards because he can.

I am sorry. The afsar showed off based on a technicality. It was not necessary.
Virupaksha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Virupaksha »

Dileep wrote:The article further notes:
The AAI officer said that at the meeting in February the local defence authorities had agreed to permit the AAI to start civil works relating to the international terminal expansion, and this fact had been recorded in the minutes of the meeting.
Just a show of arrogance, that is what exactly I mentioned in my post. The afsar came with the armed guards because he can.

so basically on few words said in some meeting, by some "local" authorities, you take it as words on rock? minutes of meetings as proof of land sale? if this was something, you want me to laugh at - I seriously would have.
These airport authorities without following the due process of law, wanted to take shortcuts. Why because of the arrogance of what the hell will these defence people do? If we do a hack job like the article in the media, it will anyway be "these defence people are always like that, they will never understand the civilian needs and want a raja life to themselves. if we grab few cents of land from them by thuggery, these arrogant ******** will come and show off their guns".

and then the land will be officially theirs. There is a reason why the forest lands, urban lands are all captured by land mafia and goons whereas defence lands are one of the lands which are not under kabza land mafias.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

ravi_ku wrote: quote="Dileep" The article further notes:
The AAI officer said that at the meeting in February the local defence authorities had agreed to permit the AAI to start civil works relating to the international terminal expansion, and this fact had been recorded in the minutes of the meeting. /quote

so basically on few words said in some meeting, by some "local" authorities, you take it as words on rock? minutes of meetings as proof of land sale? if this was something, you want me to laugh at - I seriously would have.
These airport authorities without following the due process of law, wanted to take shortcuts. Why because of the arrogance of what the hell will these defence people do? If we do a hack job like the article in the media, it will anyway be "these defence people are always like that, they will never understand the civilian needs and want a raja life to themselves. if we grab few cents of land from them by thuggery, these arrogant ******** will come and show off their guns".

and then the land will be officially theirs. There is a reason why the forest lands, urban lands are all captured by land mafia and goons whereas defence lands are one of the lands which are not under kabza land mafias.

The very same thing has happened in Bangalore. Greedy folks have encroached on defence land.

Now politicos are claiming defence "arrogance".

So the local afsar has to finally take armed guards and kick them out or face cooked up corruption charges which are already being flung about.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

I have no problem in defense folk shooting private encroachers, but we are talking about AAI here. AAI or IAF, it is govt property. What ulterior self motive AAI can have with the land anyway?

All it would have taken was a phone call from the responsible IAF afsar to the responsible AAI babu if they have a problem with the construction. The babu would have happily folded the work and left.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Dileep wrote:I have no problem in defense folk shooting private encroachers, but we are talking about AAI here. AAI or IAF, it is govt property. What ulterior self motive AAI can have with the land anyway?

All it would have taken was a phone call from the responsible IAF afsar to the responsible AAI babu if they have a problem with the construction. The babu would have happily folded the work and left.

There are inter ministry politics aided and abetted by unemployed babus.

Such polite and cautionary phone calls are always made , many times in fact.

Finally, only one language seems to be understood.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

chetak wrote:The very same thing has happened in Bangalore. Greedy folks have encroached on defence land.
The parking lot for the great shoppers at Commercial Street used to be the Army land on both sides of the Kamaraj road in Bangalore. The Army used to allow this, provided that BBMP posted sentries and also kept the premises clean. BBMP just ignored this, the parking lot was used for all sorts of shady deeds, and better still as a public toilet for men. The Sub Area Commandant then decided enough is enough and sealed of the entire area. He placed sentries and blocked the entraces to the area by placing Army trucks. BBMP then went in for a compromise. The army officers said that if the BBMP did not come up with a good solution, the temporary ban would become a permenant one. Again all of this was started by army being magnanimous and allowing its premises to be used by civilians and civilian agencies.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Sachin wrote:
chetak wrote:The very same thing has happened in Bangalore. Greedy folks have encroached on defence land.
The parking lot for the great shoppers at Commercial Street used to be the Army land on both sides of the Kamaraj road in Bangalore. The Army used to allow this, provided that BBMP posted sentries and also kept the premises clean. BBMP just ignored this, the parking lot was used for all sorts of shady deeds, and better still as a public toilet for men. The Sub Area Commandant then decided enough is enough and sealed of the entire area. He placed sentries and blocked the entraces to the area by placing Army trucks. BBMP then went in for a compromise. The army officers said that if the BBMP did not come up with a good solution, the temporary ban would become a permenant one. Again all of this was started by army being magnanimous and allowing its premises to be used by civilians and civilian agencies.

The issue of an explosives laden vehicle being parked in this area to target the Army also figured in the discussions.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

chetak wrote:The issue of an explosives laden vehicle being parked in this area to target the Army also figured in the discussions.
If such a 'threat perception' was there Army should have just stopped this practise. Let BBMP and Commercial Street vendors find another place as Parking lot. The Army buildings in this area are quite important ones. If some thing bad happens, it could cause lots of casualties plus also loss of H&D (for the Army). BBMP and the civil authorities will make some excuse and pass the buck.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Dileep wrote:I have no problem in defense folk shooting private encroachers, but we are talking about AAI here. AAI or IAF, it is govt property. What ulterior self motive AAI can have with the land anyway?

In many cases the ulterior motive is to build staff quarters in the same compound so they try to take liberties by grabbing the extra land by "local adjustments", hoping that the other side will "understand" the "welfare issues".

Little realizing that this causes a security problems for the defence authorities.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Foreign airlines protest hike in landing, parking charges
Bangalore, July 24 Foreign airlines have protested the increase in landing and parking charges at the Bangalore International Airport stating that it was ill-timed because of falling passenger traffic.

Airlines, especially international carriers operating to Bangalore, feel that the decision by the Ministry of Civil Aviation (MoCA) couldn’t have come at a more inappropriate time. “BIAL is not doing anything unique. This hike in charges has been effected by the MoCA. But the timing is wrong,” Mr Arun Chandra, Chairman – Airlines Operators’ Committee, told Business Line.

He pointed out that this year has been a very difficult one for airlines, as the sector has been severely hit by recession and increasing fuel charges. “Hence to help airlines save on costs, airports worldwide are giving them some relief or incentive to see through these tough times. But it is ironic that the MoCA has decided to hike charges now, ” he added. Mr C.W. Foo, General Manager India, Singapore Airlines, said that besides landing and parking charges, “airports have also increased other charges such as the office space rentals.”

Mr Axel Hilgers, Director - South Asia, Lufthansa, said, “Lufthansa understands the need of India’s airports to increase some charges to generate additional revenue. India is investing in infrastructure, which is crucial for its future, and this needs to be financed.”

The airline hoped that Indian airports will reduce their charges once fresh investments have been paid for. “This will make tickets more affordable for customers, help airlines generate more business and boost the aviation industry in general,” said Mr Hilgers.
pgbhat
BRF Oldie

Post by pgbhat »

Air India Sells 21 Planes
NEW DELHI -- Air India sold 21 planes for an estimated $447.55 million between March 2007 and March 2009, Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel said Tuesday.

The country's flag carrier sold and leased back 14 Airbus planes and three Boeing aircraft for a total of $428.98 million, Mr. Patel said in a written reply to a lawmaker's query in the upper house of Parliament.

Air India also sold one Boeing and three Airbus planes during the period for $18.57 million, Mr. Patel said.

The minister said also Air India currently pays $13.61 million as rent each month for 46 leased planes.

Replying to another question, Mr. Patel said Air India spends 15 billion rupees ($311.8 million) each month before depreciation on its operations.

These costs also include benefits offered to Air India staff such as medical benefits, staff housing, holiday homes and travel passes among others, Mr. Patel said.

"Initiatives undertaken to bring down the overhead costs include rationalization of routes, rationalization of manpower costs and reduction of contractual employment," Mr. Patel said.

The airline has also been mandated to rationalize aircraft deliveries and return leased planes.

The government is considering establishing an international advisory board, reconstituting Air India's existing board, constituting a turnaround committee to spearhead cost reduction, shutting down off-line offices and reducing employees at foreign stations, Mr. Patel said.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

Recently landed at the Shamshabad airport for Hyd.

Cabbie tells me flights number is down drastically because airport fees are very high. Believable, Must say.

The health/flu screening was quiet, smooth, efficient. The immigration counters were a sail through. The customs chaps as usual stank.