BHUVAN .... India's own browsable image gallery

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
SSSalvi
BRFite

BHUVAN .... India's own browsable image gallery

Post by SSSalvi »

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Ahme ... 674088.cms

The public launch is expected in early August.. watchout
Last edited by Jagan on 13 Aug 2009 09:02, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unstickied
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Re: BHUVAN .... India's own browsable image gallery

Post by Rahul M »

unlocked, important enough to merit own thread IMHO.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

SSSalvi wrote:http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Ahme ... 674088.cms

The public launch is expected in early August.. watchout
Bhuvan will focus only on the Indian sub-continent.

I sincerely hope Pakiland is shown in the minutest detail.
shravan
BRF Oldie

Post by shravan »

Will ‘Ocean Sat’ also be launched at the same time ?
RKumar

Post by RKumar »

^^^^ more importantly chinkiland :D
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

Thank you!

I have been checking the Internet if names like bhuvan.org , bhucan.co.in have been taken/registered with ISRO/GoI since early 2009.

August is now!
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Like most technologies, the good people will use for good, and the bad for more bad.

Perhaps ISRO can detect who is using it and when - track users. Which should not be too difficult to do.
Katare
BRF Oldie

Post by Katare »

Nice! It'll generate a ton of PR for ISRO.
a_kumar
BRFite

Post by a_kumar »

From above,
If Google Earth shows details upto 200 metres distance and Wikimapia upto 50 metres, Bhuvan will show images upto 10 metres, which means you can easily see details upto a three floor high building and also add information.
He added that while other mapping sites take four years to update, Bhuvan will be upgraded every year. "This will be able to give you an image from only 10 meters away", he said to the excited gathering.
Thats amazing resolution. Now, we have to watch out for self goals.
Unlike the other two webmaps, Bhuvan will focus only on the Indian sub-continent.

"With Bhuvan we will be able to produce very local information which will be specific to only to our own country. This information available from this mapping system will be useful in addressing very local problems like floods, famines, infrastructure development, education and much more," Nair said.
Why should it be restricted to Indian sub-continent only?. Government should fund this to open the whole world and numb-out parts that it deems sensitive.

Put all the hyperpower's hyper-secretive facilities on the map at 10m resolution. Let them come running to numb-out these details.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

The great thing about google earth is its ability to locate street addresses in the western countries. Now google earth has nearly every restaurant, hospital, transportation node (Airport, metro) listed.
It is this extra that google earth bring in to satellite maps that is of crucial value.
10m imagery is wonderful, but being an ISRO produce, all the important things that the average Jingo will be interested in might be missing, I'm afraid.
dinesha
BRFite

Post by dinesha »

Bhuvan launch surrounded by controversy

http://www.itexaminer.com/bhuvan-launch ... versy.aspx
kaangeya
BRFite

Post by kaangeya »

Why are they calling Bhuvan a Google Killer? Google does not create the maps, it licenses them from geodesic survey companies. Bhuvan is ISRO's own. It's a big difference. Maybe we shd boot out Google Maps from India for sucking up to the ChiComs.
Rishi
Forum Moderator

Post by Rishi »

Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

err, how does it work ? anyone tried it ?

p.s. rishi, what's with your location ? :mrgreen:
shravan
BRF Oldie

Post by shravan »

Rahul M wrote:err, how does it work ? anyone tried it ?

It does not work in Firefox. Its working fine in I.E. You have to register first.
Rishi
Forum Moderator

Post by Rishi »

Rahul M wrote: p.s. rishi, what's with your location ? :mrgreen:
It is said that the wielder of guillotine has the answer to life. :mrgreen:
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

shravan wrote:
Rahul M wrote:err, how does it work ? anyone tried it ?

It does not work in Firefox. Its working fine in I.E. You have to register first.
"Best viewed in IE 6.0 or higher. Ideal resolution: 1280 x 1024"
Rishi
Forum Moderator

Post by Rishi »

This is what u can see:

Notice the swathe: Tibet and Afghanistan included!
kittoo
BRFite

Post by kittoo »

Finally got it working an I would say that images are not 4 times high resolution than Google Earth but rather are 4 times lower resolution. How did you get it working? Am I doing something wrong?
Using IE6 with plugin installed and registered. Config is more than enough for it I know that.
Atri
BRF Oldie

Post by Atri »

May be this is a beta version, thats why... But, I agree, google earth is much better...
vishwakarmaa
BRFite

Post by vishwakarmaa »

Disappointing launch.

It seems ISRO's IT department is filled with some incompetent idiots. Well thats harsh but more near reality.
vishwakarmaa
BRFite

Post by vishwakarmaa »

Any web developer with even little 2 or 3 years experience, after having a look at the site, can tell that this site is being developed by some highly incompetent idiots.

Its disappointing to see that ISRO which claims the Bhuvan initiative as "national" and important to its business development, has hired idiots to implement it.

Its time to oursource the Bhuvan portal development and maintenance to Private sector. God save ISRO.
Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

vishwakarmaa wrote:Any web developer with even little 2 or 3 years experience, after having a look at the site, can tell that this site is being developed by some highly incompetent idiots.
Its still a beta version. It would be more helpful if you could state what can be improved rather than dismissing it straight away.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

vishwakarmaa wrote:Any web developer with even little 2 or 3 years experience, after having a look at the site, can tell that this site is being developed by some highly incompetent idiots.
Please explain yourself in a little more detail.
ashish raval
BRFite

Post by ashish raval »

Finally got chance to get a first hand look. I fould it very good first attempt. Much better than Google's first version. I would say within a year or so it will be much better and comparable to Google. Kudos to ISRO scientists who have done marvellous work within a limited budget compared with Google. I just feel it is plain foolishness to criticize a first attempt. No one is perfect. As time goes on holes are plugged in and final product becomes sharper.
Very nice work indeed. Thumbs up. :)
karthik
BRFite

Post by karthik »

How the hell do you get this thing started?! I at the web page but cant find the map anywhere!!!
jaladipc
BRFite

Post by jaladipc »

Its disappointing to see that ISRO which claims the Bhuvan initiative as "national" and important to its business development, has hired idiots to implement it.

Its time to oursource the Bhuvan portal development and maintenance to Private sector. God save ISRO.
kittoo wrote:Finally got it working an I would say that images are not 4 times high resolution than Google Earth but rather are 4 times lower resolution. How did you get it working? Am I doing something wrong?
Using IE6 with plugin installed and registered. Config is more than enough for it I know that.
They are still uploading the high res images.for some people the strategically important locations outside the country were found very interesting.

Dont have to blame the beta look for general public :P

In couple of months the maps for the normal viewers will be much more detailed.I just compared both the versions and the general one kinda sucks,since its a nascent, people do need some patience. :lol:
KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by KrishG »

karthik wrote:How the hell do you get this thing started?! I at the web page but cant find the map anywhere!!!
It work only on Internet Explorer. Mozilla, Safari etc do not support it as of now. Install the plugin and login to our Bhuvan account with Internet Explorer. :D
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

karthik wrote:How the hell do you get this thing started?! I at the web page but cant find the map anywhere!!!

First salute Bill Gates and use IE. If you are not using Windows - tough.

Then register

Then login

Download and install the plugin

Login again and you will see a map. Currently the resolution is less than Google earth and the server is slow (overloaded?). But every time I login there is a massage saying that some more details have been added or some such message. Am hoping the resolution does increase because there is a bar on the right that can be used for enlargement upto "street level and "house level". Even streel level is unclear now.

Military sites - eg Yelahanka airstrip are blurred.
manish
BRFite

Post by manish »

Register and login. You will be taken to the correct page automatically. The register link appears on the homepage (top right).

Edit: OK, others beat me to it... :)
Last edited by manish on 12 Aug 2009 19:41, edited 1 time in total.
jaladipc
BRFite

Post by jaladipc »

all important locations were blurred in Bhuvan.And google was asked to follow the same notion.
KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by KrishG »

shiv wrote:

First salute Bill Gates and use IE. If you are not using Windows - tough.

Then register

Then login

Download and install the plugin

Login again and you will see a map. Currently the resolution is less than Google earth and the server is slow (overloaded?). But every time I login there is a massage saying that some more details have been added or some such message. Am hoping the resolution does increase because there is a bar on the right that can be used for enlargement upto "street level and "house level". Even streel level is unclear now.

Military sites - eg Yelahanka airstrip are blurred.
It's about time we start developing our own operating system! :twisted:

Anyway, there is also news that TCS has teamed up with ISRO to make something like Google Moon using pictures from Chandrayaan-1. It is supposed to be better than Google Moon.
karthik
BRFite

Post by karthik »

I have logged in and patiently downloaded the TerraExplorer software, then I clicked it and what i got was an window that says.

TerraExplorer v5.1.2

TerraExplorer opens the door to the digital planet. Individual PC users can now experience fully interactive terrain viewing
previously limited to users of costly 3D visualization systems. With Skyline's TerraExplorer, users can freely
navigate over high resolution 3D world environments created with Skyline's SkylineGlobe products.

Click here to start exploring cities around the world

I clicked the above link but nothing happened!
KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by KrishG »

karthik wrote:I have logged in and patiently downloaded the TerraExplorer software, then I clicked it and what i got was an window that says.

TerraExplorer v5.1.2

TerraExplorer opens the door to the digital planet. Individual PC users can now experience fully interactive terrain viewing
previously limited to users of costly 3D visualization systems. With Skyline's TerraExplorer, users can freely
navigate over high resolution 3D world environments created with Skyline's SkylineGlobe products.

Click here to start exploring cities around the world

I clicked the above link but nothing happened!
Don't open TerraExplorer! It's just a plugin needed to run Bhuvan!

Just open the Bhuvan website on IE and login into our account! There you will find the map!
ashish raval
BRFite

Post by ashish raval »

Click on File in menu and click open if you click on combo button, it will point to a file SkyGlobalB1.fly in your temporary internet file folder click on it and enjoy.
RonyKJ
BRFite

Post by RonyKJ »

Its a shame that ISRO has developed Bhuvan only for Internet Explorer. For an institution that is still under sanctions, they should have shown some common sense and have brought out a version for Firefox.
No way I am going to launch IE as much as I would have liked to check out Bhuvan.
vipins
BRFite

Post by vipins »

Anybody able to use it on vista?? Throwing an error while installing :(( :((
karthik
BRFite

Post by karthik »

How is this the google killer? :|

Is this just me or does anyone else agree the quality is far less compared to google? I cant see even houses clearly let alone cars or traffic!

This is the Indian mentality that i dread, how do we use words like google killer, super power, fast growing etc., without any guilt or fear of being insulted or laughed at later!
Atri
BRF Oldie

Post by Atri »

vipins wrote:Anybody able to use it on vista?? Throwing an error while installing :(( :((
Install with administrator rights... It works fine for me...