Nepal and Bhutan News and discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
sum
BRF Oldie

Re: Nepal News and discussion

Post by sum »

Prachanda grapples with damaging video tape
NEW DELHI: Battling for the removal of the controversial army chief, Gen Rookmangud Katawal, and his defender, President Ram Baran Yadav, Nepal's
Maoist party walked into an ambush when an embarrassing video tape showed Maoist Prime Minister Pushpa Kamal Dahal Prachanda boasting his guerrilla troops' number had been five-fold inflated during a UN count.

In the same video, aired by Nepal's gleeful public television stations on Tuesday night, he was also shown as making scathing remarks about "reactionary" India and the US, saying that if they scented the constituent assembly election would lead to a Maoist victory, they would never allow it to be held.

But on Wednesday, after the footage created a public outcry, the former revolutionary was forced to try pour oil over troubled waters, acknowledging India's contribution to Nepal's peace process and saying his taped claim about the strength of the People's Liberation Army (PLA) had been taken "mechanically".

On the tape, Prachanda had said that though the PLA numbered only between 7-8,000 combatants, its strength was given as 35,000 during a UN verification so that even after some members being disqualified, their final headcount remained over 19,000.

He also said the decision to sign the peace pact and take part in the election was part of the "revolutionary counter-attack strategy" to capture power. The money that the Maoists had forced the government to disburse as salary to the PLA fighters would partly be used to continue buying arms and prepare for a new battle, he had indicated.

As the opposition Nepali Congress party on Wednesday flayed him for the remarks and the communists asked for a clarification, Prachanda called a press conference to say that the tape was made one and a half years ago and was no longer relevant.

"I have made innumerable such speeches and given such training in the past," he said. "We were once a revolutionary party with a price on our heads. Also, at that time we feared there was a conspiracy to derail the election. Things have changed since then. Airing the tape now is a ploy to divert attention from the president's unconstitutional step."

The PLA, he claimed, actually had over 100,000 fighters. "I was only talking about the regular central army," he said. "In addition, we also have the regular regional army and the Maoist militia. Together, they number over 100,000."

He also said that he had not mentioned India by name when he had talked about foreign intervention while announcing his resignation.

"We are in favour of having good relations with our neighbours," Prachanda said. "The 12-point agreement (between the Maoists and the major Nepal parties) was signed in New Delhi and India took the initiative. India also helped to hold the constituent assembly election."

But during the battle to sack the army chief and his subsequent reinstatement by the president, there were fears that India's support had waned, Prachanda said. However, he indicated that he had taken note of the statement in New Delhi by Indian minister of state for external affairs Anand Sharma that India has not interfered and has no intention of interfering in Nepal's internal affairs.

"We hope our ties with India would improve and progress in future," Prachanda said.
It seems more and more likely that the "leak" must have been by some "Kaccha" agency.

Notice how the leak caused Prachanda to go completely onto the backfoot and be on the defensive.
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

Sum,

I see you beat me to posting this ToI report.

I found this para to be most interesting:
In the same video, aired by Nepal's gleeful public television stations on Tuesday night, he was also shown as making scathing remarks about "reactionary" India and the US, saying that if they scented the constituent assembly election would lead to a Maoist victory, they would never allow it to be held.
The fact that the Public TV promptly aired the tape shows that the Maoist's encroachment into the Nepal power structure is a bit exaggerated. It's good Prachanda's true stripes have been revealed before he was strong enough to go through with his grand strategy of handing over the country to the Dragon.

I have a suspicion that this tape thing is a pretty sophisticated operation by some interested party who pulled the rug from under Prachanda before he could consolidate. Let's hope it's the end of him. Even he goes back to guerrilla warfare his credibility in the eyes of Nepalis is premanent damaged, IMO.

It also show that the CPI(M) is either full of duffers - Yechury comes to mind - or they are also part of a more sinister agenda. I really hope the party that comes to power on May16 doesn't include support from these snakes.
Anantz
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Anantz »

Seems like the so called "The Feared one" Prachanda has been taught a lesson. Seeing how he was forced to resign and remembering the fate of the former King, I think Prachanda might have become wise enough to start appeasing the Indian Govt and praising India for the 12 point agreement. Hope he doesnt forget the Indian help if he comes to power later.

Contrast that to just 2 days ago when he was crying all out about Foreign Interference and how he resigned to resist Foreign interference in Nepal's internal affairs! Well atleast sounds heartening to see that India does command respect among Nepal's political circles after all no matter how powerful the party is!
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

prachanda has been exposed as a non-statesmen but a tinhorn dictator of the pakistani mould who cannot
live with a democratic system.

par for the course - nowhere on earth have the maoists created a successful democracy. they do the despot thing
very well.
Anantz
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Anantz »

I suspect a strong hand of the Indian Embassy in leaking these tapes to the media, in order to corner Prachanda. After the resignation, Prachanda had once again become pretty popular and he had put the blame for this whole mess on India! This could have permanently damaged India's position in Nepal, however, with these tapes out, the first thing Prachanda did was to shower praises for India. Seems obvious whom he fears most right now!
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

No need to go to town with the news of the kill. A loud roar like this one is enough to let the whole jungle know that the big boy is on the prowl. Silent and sublime is the way to go.
mohan
BRFite -Trainee

Post by mohan »

Dilbu wrote:No need to go to town with the news of the kill. A loud roar like this one is enough to let the whole jungle know that the big boy is on the prowl. Silent and sublime is the way to go.
I agree. My understanding of the multiple layers of diplomacy and geostrategy is tenuous at best - however, I think, for some bizzare, inexplicable reason, Indian foreign policy is tactically flawed but strategically brilliant - how we have managed to achieve and execute that is beyond my ken; though I suspect the structure and institution of MEA and babudom has much to do with it.
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

I am not sure if our foreign policy has been strategically brilliant - examples?

But in this case, they have definitely done a class act by putting Prachanda in his place. And the timing is great too - before the Sino peace treaty crap is signed. We should press the matter further and ensure that China doesnt enter the equation at all.

Btw, if you read the reports from newspapers like the Hindu, they make it look like we did a bad job. Makes you wonder whose side are they really on.

http://www.hindu.com/2009/05/07/stories ... 400800.htm
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Suppiah
BRF Oldie

Post by Suppiah »

Now is the time for all Stalinist mass murderers, rapist goons and their propaganda agents to come to the aid of the 'party' and the Maoists, so that PRC/PLA is positioned right at our doorstep..

http://www.hindu.com/2009/05/07/stories ... 400800.htm

There is also a convenient side attack on the BJP on behalf of Vishnu Bhagawat whose wife is a prominent Marxist propagandist and he himself campaigned againt BJP!

Incidentally, the Maoist plan is quite simple and follows the Stalinist plan in India - turn all party propaganda cadre into govt. employees so that the state, and taxpayers, not them, pays for it. Then the sabotage can go on at no cost to the paymasters.
Last edited by Suppiah on 07 May 2009 07:22, edited 1 time in total.
Suppiah
BRF Oldie

Post by Suppiah »

The most hilarious part in that article is that about Maoists trying to establish the rule of civilian control over the army...that from a gang of murderers who follow a mass murderer whose slogan was 'power flows from the barrel of the gun'
nsa_tanay
BRFite -Trainee

Post by nsa_tanay »

India is making big mistake in Nepal. It should develop a more friendly and hand in glove relationship with the Maoists. India's Unfavorable and hostile approach towards the Maoists will only push them more towards china. I think India is in the verge of repeating the same mistake it did with Myanmar, Sri Lanka. China has already jumpd into the vacuum created by India’s hesitation. After all its a reality that Maoists are the largest and most powerful force in Nepal.
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

nsa_tanay wrote:India is making big mistake in Nepal. It should develop a more friendly and hand in glove relationship with the Maoists. India's Unfavorable and hostile approach towards the Maoists will only push them more towards china. I think India is in the verge of repeating the same mistake it did with Myanmar, Sri Lanka. China has already jumpd into the vacuum created by India’s hesitation. After all its a reality that Maoists are the largest and most powerful force in Nepal.
India did the mistake of bringing maoists to power. The situation from then on was clearly getting out of India's hands. Anti-India statements and peace treaty with tarrel than mountain friends etc are clear indications where the maoists were heading.

Yes, India made a big mistake by letting our Indian commie friends dictate foreign policy towards Nepal over the last few years. What happend now is the most desirable and favourable method to salvage the situation. Some damage has been done but more importantly, India has realised the mistake and reacted in time, something that happens very rarely.
Suppiah
BRF Oldie

Post by Suppiah »

I doubt if there can be a meeting ground with these murderers. They have grown up on a steady diet of anti-India tirade and have made it their stock propaganda article as well. It is also well known that with our own gangs of Stalinist mass murderers their agenda is to facilitate their 'motherland' 's conquest of the subcontinent so that PRC can take on global projects without local worries.

India can either wait for these Maoists to disgrace themselves over time and disappear (like the mullah's of Iran, they have to deliver on their promises at some stage, once they capture power) or play these games and take chances. There are risks of course, but in the eyes of our babus if Nepal is anyway a lost cause (because of Maoist takeover), it is no harm done stirring the pot a bit.

We can argue over that but there is absolutely no question of Maoists taking pro-India stand. Heck, when our own leftists are anti-India, do you expect leftists from elsewhere to be pro-India :twisted:
Pranav
BRF Oldie

Post by Pranav »

As regards Maoists - there are several strains of the virus.

But some groups that call themselves Maoists are supported by Missionaries/CIA. Some are supported by Chinese Communists. Some of them change their allegiance from Missionaries/CIA to ChiComs. Some may even take patronage from both at the same time.

So you have to be careful when talking about Maoists, and clarify which geo-political forces they represent. It is somewhat similar to the term "Taliban". Just saying Taliban doesn't really tell you what is actually going on.

Amongst the Missionary/CIA supported Maoists, some may be evangelized "true believers". Others may be Hindu "useful idiots" who have been fooled by slogans of a "classless society". Even the evangelized true believers are, in the ultimate sense, useful idiots. Because the global forces that support them ultimately believe in nothing except absolute power.

It is interesting that the Sri Lankan conflict can also be understood as a conflict between the Missionaries/CIA (supporting the LTTE) and the ChiComs (supporting the SL Govt), with the Tamil Hindus and Sinhalese Buddhists serving as the hapless cannon fodder.
Last edited by Pranav on 07 May 2009 13:31, edited 1 time in total.
nsa_tanay
BRFite -Trainee

Post by nsa_tanay »

Dilbu wrote:India did the mistake of bringing maoists to power.
The Maoists emerged as the largest political party in the election. Any government with out them would not have been possible. Infact it was by and large Indian effort that Expedited and influenced the Maoists party' decision to come under the unbrella of mainstream democratic process.
Dilbu wrote:Anti-India statements and peace treaty with tarrel ... .
Anti-India sentiment in Nepal is not new. I still remember the 'Hritik Roshan' controversy and consequent violent fallout in Katmandu
Dilbu wrote: What happend now is the most desirable and favourable method to salvage the situation. Some damage has been done but more importantly, India has realised the mistake and reacted in time, something that happens very rarely.
I see some tactical advantage. But I also see long term strategic loss. It would be good if India can diminish and subside the Maoist power gradually in time. But that will take a few decades. For the time being its simply not possible to side step the Maoist Party while working on any Political equation in Nepal.
Last edited by nsa_tanay on 07 May 2009 13:01, edited 1 time in total.
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

I see some tactical advantage. But I also see long term strategic loss. It would be good if India can diminish and subside the Maoist power gradually in time. But that will take a few decades. For the time being its simply not possible to side step the Maoist Party while working on any Political equation in Nepal.
I agree with you when you say we cannot sidestep maoists. A lot depends on the next move from maoists. One option India has is to strengthen the other parties to form a stable democratic government.
Vishal_Bhatia
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Vishal_Bhatia »

Dilbu wrote:I agree with you when you say we cannot sidestep maoists. A lot depends on the next move from maoists. One option India has is to strengthen the other parties to form a stable democratic government.
We can also create infighting within the Maoists.

Plus, I would not read too much into Maoists emerging as the most popular party; I think the anti-incumbency factor played a big role there. I would wait till the next elections (if and when they happen) to rate the Maoists' popularity.
vsudhir
BRF Oldie

Post by vsudhir »

That didn't take long now did it.....old stalinist tactics back to the fore....

Nepal Maoists detain 'suspicious' people linked to video leak

Who are maoists to 'detain' anybody, really? In practice they do, bigtime in WB, and Kerala.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

Nepal, being landlocked, has no option but to depend on Indian ports for trade with the world.

There is no other route to make their goods competitive on the world market.

Therefore, though it appears that the actions and Prachanda may arouse anti Indian sentiments, those in Nepal's govt have to be pragmatic.

Notwithstanding, the Indian govt could have been more subtle.
Keshav
BRFite

Post by Keshav »

RayC wrote:Nepal, being landlocked, has no option but to depend on Indian ports for trade with the world.

There is no other route to make their goods competitive on the world market.

Therefore, though it appears that the actions and Prachanda may arouse anti Indian sentiments, those in Nepal's govt have to be pragmatic.

Notwithstanding, the Indian govt could have been more subtle.
I'm guessing that given their ideological affiliations, they will look favorably on development in Tibet and forge closer ties with China for their infrastructure instead of India.

Nepal was much more anti-India under its "great Hindu ruler" than it is under the Maoists. Troll a couple Nepali forums and see what the few loyalist nutjobs think of India. They see RAW just as much as the Pakistanis.

It is not about who hates who but instead, who likes who more than the other? And the answer, unless India actually approaches them rather than appearing indifferent, is going to be China for sure.
Sanjay M
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanjay M »

Gurkhas Win Settlement from British Govt:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... ement.html
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

nsa_tanay wrote:
Anti-India statements and peace treaty with tarrel ... .
Anti-India sentiment in Nepal is not new. I still remember the 'Hritik Roshan' controversy and consequent violent fallout in Katmandu
It is a Paki created image psy ops in 2001-2002.
The strategy is simple. Have a strong anti-India sentiment in all the nations surrounding India. Use media and incidents to create mass anger against India.
Virupaksha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Virupaksha »

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/00 ... 250184.htm
Madhav Nepal to be sworn in as Nepal PM today
Kathmandu (PTI) Veteran Communist leader Madhav Kumar Nepal will be sworn-in as the Prime Minister of Nepal on Monday, even as his CPN-UML constituted a committee to hold dialogue with allied parties on government formation and reach an understanding regarding a Common Minimum Programme.

Mr. Nepal, who was elected unopposed as the Prime Minister on Saturday in the Constituent Assembly, will be sworn-in by President Ram Baran Yadav at 11 am on Monday, sources said, adding he will assume office the same day.

Along with Mr. Nepal, a mini cabinet of four-five ministers will also be sworn-in, the sources said.

CPN-UML's Standing Committee, which met here, decided to constitute a committee to hold consultation with leaders of allied parties regarding portfolio and to work out the Common Minimum Programme, party leader Shanker Pokharel told PTI.

The party has appealed to all political outfits to extend cooperation to the new government to complete the peace process and to draft a new constitution.

Sources close to the Prime Minister said that the PM will meet Nepali Congress president Girija Prasa Koirala, Madhesi People's Rights Forum chief Upendra Yadav and other leaders of various parties to seek their views regarding the shape and size of the cabinet to be formed shortly.
eenadu has a nice write up about it, to those interested and know telugu
http://eenadu.net/panelhtml.asp?qrystr=htm/panel1.htm
pgbhat
BRF Oldie

Post by pgbhat »

Dont remember this being posted ...
Nepal: Curtain falls
Act One:

The Indian Army Chief, Deepak Kapoor, a class friend of Nepal’s Army Chief Rukmangad Katwal, was being intermittently briefed by his Nepali counterpart that the incumbent government in Nepal may sack him under one pretext or the other and thus he may seek the support of his( read Kapoor) good offices if the situation so demanded.

Kapoor assured Katwal that in such an eventuality he will lobby in New Delhi for Katwal.

The Indian Army Chief did his job effectively and saved his long time associate but never came to the scene. Clever Kapoor.
satya
BRFite

Post by satya »

Above article regarding 'alleged' involvement of COAS IA Gen. Kapoor is not true at all. Writing was on the wall for Maoists induction in army & Nepalese Army's reluctance to do so . However good news is there's a limit in political gains from anti-indian sentiment .In end average Nepali ask well where's our day's bread going to come from and like it or not its by working in India only !
Another gratifying thing from this article is Maoists have ended up as just another political party albeit with armed cadres ( nos & faces in open , won't be easy to go back to jungle specially for its politburo/ family fiefdom of Prachanda ) using decade old anti-Indian sentiment to cover up their failures.
pgbhat
BRF Oldie

Post by pgbhat »

The paper I believe is a maoist mouth piece ..... But I was more curious about Gen. Katwal being a "class" friend of Gen. Kapoor hence the posting. I guess Brig. RayC sir can shine some :idea: on that.
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

There is no doubt that the new dispensation has the blessings of India. Media reports indicate that the Indian Ambassador had been meeting G.P. Koirala of NC and KP Oli of UML , urging them to expedite the cabinet formation as any delay would affect the peace process.

Soon after taking over, the Defence Minister Bidhya Devi Bhandari made a categorical statement closing the doors of the Nepalese Army to the PLA. She said -" The majority of the political parties are of the opinion that the Nepal Army globally renowned for its bravery do not want militias to be integrated into the Nepal Army. Only the combatants who qualify the physical and mental tests set by the Army could join the Nepal Army." This was not the time to make such a statement that is not in line with various agreements the seven party alliance had with the Maoists.
http://www.southasiaanalysis.org/%5Cnot ... te521.html
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

India needs a core policy for ALL in the 'hood. No matter which country. Customization can be done on this base.

One issue - the one thrown out by the US in recent weeks - IOR is large enough for plenty of players is OK, as long as China does not have bases in any of these countries, including Burma. Let the US allow Chinese ships to park in DG.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Rupesh
BRFite

Post by Rupesh »

Prachanda announces another 'people's movement' in Nepal
He claimed that the movement would completely sweep away "reactionaries, opportunists and traitors" from the country to establish civilian supremacy.

Prachanda termed the present UML-led government as a puppet and said that the UML was the black sheep among the communist parties of Nepal.
Jamal K. Malik
BRFite

Post by Jamal K. Malik »

Pak foreign secretary in Nepal
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Worl ... 707104.cms
Close on Indian foreign secretary Shiv Shankar Menon’s heels, Pakistan’s foreign secretary Salman Bashir is arriving in Kathmandu
Jamal K. Malik
BRFite

Post by Jamal K. Malik »

svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

http://telegraphnepal.com/news_det.php?news_id=5814
kittoo wrote:
And thirdly, at war with mediocre neighbors, such as Nepal, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka sans Bhutan for understandable reasons. India can not just ignore this proposition as well. Bhutan’s patience is also being tested, after all for how long it will continue to bow down to the Indian Gods to protect its ruthless regime.

Rather than concentrating on further irritating smaller neighbors like Nepal, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh, India should learn on how to “behave” with sovereign nation’s in the neighborhood.
See how this Nepali writer speaks for Sri Lanka, BD all at the same time.
India can at best stop playing the dangerous game of using the US card against China with which it shares great economic interests. By the way, India should also keep it in mind that the US is also with Pakistan and China.
Actually this is the first author to say that US is also with Pakistan and China. That is one of the reason for Nepali to confront India. Nepali support to China and TSP has been encouraged by Uncle.
Rather than building up its defense at the cost of the millions and millions of destitute citizens who barely get two meals a day, India should finally mend its own erratic ways in dealing with the neighbors who still possess some love for India.
A Paki advice is coming out here. The Nepalis are being converted to Pakis. Moralizing, sanctimonious statements from authors of third world countries commenting on another third world country.
sanjaychoudhry
BRFite

Post by sanjaychoudhry »

India to Nepal with love: Sizeable consignment of Weapons soon

Five thousand units of Insas Rifles including Light Machine Guns (LMG) will soon enter Nepal, say reports.

In the lethal weapons category, in the pipeline are, some General Purpose Machine Guns and its Bullets and Bullets for 81 mm SM Mortar are have also been included.

In the non-lethal category, the Nepal army will receive Vehicles, Bullet Proof Jackets, Helmet, Communication equipments and other equipments.

Similarly, reports also have it that the Indian side has responded positively to the request made by Nepal’s defense minister to build an Air Base in Surket district for the Nepal Army.
http://telegraphnepal.com/news_det.php?news_id=5897
yvijay
BRFite

Post by yvijay »

^The comments in the article posted by Acharya above, really opened my eyes. I never thought Nepalis had that much hatred for India. "Hating India more than pakistan", "supporting china in case of war" and "killing Indians" -- ****** Unbelievable. I don't what has India done to deserve these shitty neighbours.
Anabhaya
BRFite

Post by Anabhaya »

RNA Chief Katawal goes on leave before retirement.
Prior to that, on Sunday, he will hand over charge to his successor, Lt Gen Chhatramansingh Gurung, the first chief of the Nepal Army to come from the indigenous tribes. In the past, Nepal's army chiefs had always been chosen from the three elite classes: the Shahs, allied to the royal dynasty, the Ranas, allied to the former hereditary prime ministers, and the Chhetris.
And intrestingly...

Nepal's UCPN-M chairman Prachanda on way to London
kittoo
BRFite

Post by kittoo »

yvijay wrote:^The comments in the article posted by Acharya above, really opened my eyes. I never thought Nepalis had that much hatred for India. "Hating India more than pakistan", "supporting china in case of war" and "killing Indians" -- ****** Unbelievable. I don't what has India done to deserve these shitty neighbours.
I too was thinking the same. Even with all the long cultural ties, why so much hate? Just because India is big or because India is in news there constantly for supporting them? I mean since Nepalis are fighting so much with each other, India had to choose some side right? Now why the general public hate? Does the public love Maoists so much?
Rupesh
BRFite

Post by Rupesh »

Gurung appointed head of Nepal Army
KATHMANDU: Lt Gen Chhatraman Singh Gurung, who received training at the Indian Military Academy, Dehradun, was on Sunday appointed to head the

Nepal Army after his controversial predecessor General Rukmangad Katawal went on a month-long leave ahead of his retirement next month.

The 22-party alliance government led by Prime Minister Madhav Kumar Nepal on Sunday appoint Lt Gen Gurung as the acting chief of the army. It also approved a month-long leave to General Katawal, who has been under pressure from Maoists to resign amid accusation that he had defied the orders of the previous Prachanda-led government.

57-year-old Gurung, who has received training at the the Indian Military Academy, Dehradun, is also the first from the rank of commoners to head the army, which has been led by the country's elite and the aristocracy.