India-US News and Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
RoyG
BRF Oldie

Re: India-US News and Discussion

Post by RoyG »

Kerala origin priest helps set up US consulates

Indo-Asian News Sevice, Friday August 7, 2009, Alappuzha (Kerala)

He is a man of god, but Kerala native Fr. Alexander Kurien also plays a crucial role in the American scheme of things. He is, after all, the director of strategic planning in the US Department of State.

He has been helping set up US missions across the world since he was inducted into the department in 1999, but also doubles up as a priest, providing solace to his church members.

"In the last one decade of my job in the US State Department, I have travelled to 147 countries and have played a crucial role in opening 65 new consulates and embassies (also relocating existing ones)," Washington-based Kurien, 45, said.

He was in his hometown at Haripad in Alappuzha district for a short private visit following a death in his family.

He is mostly busy travelling across the globe for his job. In India too, Kurien has been in charge of starting US consulates or relocating them, be it in Hyderabad, Kolkata, Mumbai or Chennai.

In 2004, he spent a year in Iraq to supervise Iraqi relief operations on behalf of the US government.

"It was through my priesthood that I was able to maintain a balance in life wherein I could effectively manage spirituality and the pressures of my hugely demanding job. It is certainly tough but god has given me the strength and in return I never ever take money while I perform my job as a priest," said Kurien.

He was ordained in 1987 as a priest in the Orthodox Church, which has its headquarters in Kottayam district.

Leaving the shores of the small coastal village after completing his schooling at the age of 16, Kurien reached the US to join his sister who was already working there.

Studies were a passion. He first completed his bachelor's degree in divinity from a university in Boston and then reached Athens from where he took double masters in theology and philosophy from the Greek Orthodox Seminary.

He was busy studying even when he became the parish vicar of the St Gregorious Orthodox Church in Washington - a position in which he has served for the past 18 years.

"Then I finished my MBA in finance and completed the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) course. I completed my fellow programme from the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors," said Kurien.

Kurien is currently on a two-year sabbatical and wears the cassock only when conducting mass or important church functions.

In 1999, he was inducted into the US State Department as an international planning consultant.

This year, after the Obama administration took over, he became the first person of Indian origin to sit in the chair of director of strategic planning in the department.

But his passion for studies is yet to stop as he is currently doing a part-time master's course in strategic planning at the US Army War College in Carlisle, Pennsylvania.

While he is busy globetrotting, his wife Ajitha Kurien who holds a double masters is busy at home looking after their three children.

Having helped set up so many US consulates across the world, Kurien has a dream - to see a consulate office opening in his home state.

http://www.ndtv.com/news/diaspora/keral ... ulates.php

Came across this a couple days ago. apologize if already posted..
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/india

We india propoganda news. All are mostly negative news
abhiti
BRFite

Post by abhiti »

ravi_ku wrote:a sad day for India :( When 14000 dead are not enough for a country to learn ANY lessons, what can I say to this new US lapdog? :evil:
As our PM MMS said, his toughest day in office was about nuclear deal. He didn't care that much when hundreds of people were dying in Mumbai. Indian politicians don't care a hoot about Indian people. We are living in a police state.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

I was handcuffed before deportation
The scientist-lawyer and former captain of the Indian Navy, was picked up from a public library at Purdue University campus on August 5, detained in a police station at Chicago and later put on a Korean Air flight on the Seoul-Mumbai route. He landed here early on Saturday and was set free after being debriefed by intelligence agencies.
He said a jury found Vikram guilty of 11 charges, which included issuing e-threats to "President Bush and Mr Bush, vice-president Dick Cheney and Mr Dick Cheney, defense secretary Donald Rumsfeld and Mr Donald Rumsfeld, the wives of the President and vice-president.'' He was also found guilty of threatening an unidentified "installation''. The sentencing is expected to take place later this month.
Poor fellow must have been expecting US gratitude for alleged past services. But once you are no longer useful for Unkil...

John Gunther Dean's Oral History
Ambassador John Gunther Dean has donated his personal papers to the Jimmy Carter Library. Dean was U.S. Ambassador to Cambodia, Denmark, Lebanon, Thailand, and India during a Foreign Service career that began in 1956 and ended with his retirement in 1989. These interviews were conducted by the Foreign Affairs Oral History Program of the Association for Diplomatic Studies and Training.
http://www.jimmycarterlibrary.org/libra ... /India.pdf
In 1987. the Indian Navy had leased a Soviet nuclear submarine. The purpose of the lease was to train the Indian navy in the use of such a technically advanced naval vessel. The reactor unit was sealed and the spent fuel was to be returned to the Soviet Union. Mr. Gandhi had assured President Reagan that "this specific submarine on lease from the Soviet Union would not be used in any manner in the event of any hostilities." Prime Minister Gandhi had assured President Reagan in writing that there was "no ground for any apprehension". Naturally, our navy wanted to know more about the submarine leased from the Soviet Union to India, and this led to a covert operation to obtain detailed plans and drawings of this vessel.
The incident occurred when an Indian Navy Captain was arrested at Bombay International Airport before boarding a flight for the United States in possession of detailed technical data on the Soviet nuclear submarine. Apparently, Indian Intelligence had tracked the Indian naval officer - or was he a double agent - and, in any case, I was asked to meet with the Prime Minister who confronted me with the facts. I did my best to smooth ruffled feathers, and fortunately Mr. Gandhi was sufficiently experienced in international relations to know that information on the Soviet vessel was a legitimate target for our Intelligence agencies.
I urged that the apprehension of the Indian officer before leaving India with the drawings should not adversely impact on over-all U.S.-Indian relations. At the same time, I protected vis-a-vis Washington the American official who had been in charge of this case at the Embassy. He left the post quite rapidly, but has enjoyed an interesting career after his service in India.
Arun_S
BRF Oldie

Post by Arun_S »

ravi_ku wrote: a sad day for India :(

When 14000 dead are not enough for a country to learn ANY lessons, what can I say to this new US lapdog? :evil:
Cross posting from Indian nuclear thread:
-----------------------
Talking of liabelity versus investment and profits.

Imported LWR for 1,000 Mega Watt will cost India ~US$ 3 to 4 Billion (very unlike the US$2.5 Million/MWe that is internaltional norm that is bandies about), and Indian park IIRC will be for 2,000 MW each. So Indian investment of $6-8 Billion.

And yes the $0.45 billion liabelity cap is very adequate and fair liabelity coverage for $7 billion investment.

You got it right, Yes Indian are very dense !

Will GE/Halliburton be allowed to erect one nuclear palnt in US with $450 million libelity cap on reactors that GE/Halliburton does not even make themselves (they are just general contractors that is re-selling Toshiba's reactors)
-----------------------
John Snow
BRFite

Post by John Snow »

make sure that AIG underwrites it...just in case... :mrgreen:
Kati
BRFite

Post by Kati »

US & the World thread is no longer there...... so posting it here

Just watched the documentary on the HAARP project on History channel.
This is a secretive project run by the US defense establishments to control
weather, atmosphere, etc. with a devastating effect.
Most interesting part is that the project has been experimenting with very
ultra low frequencies to humans, and how it can be used to control human mind.
It has been observed that frequency of 2.5 can make a population 'depressed',
a frequency of around 10 makes a population undertake riot and other civil
disobedience, etc. Numerous reports raise suspicion (type 'HAARP' in google,
youtube, etc.) that some of the natural calamities in China were caused by the
HAARP on an experimental basis.
About the general nature of the project see:
http://www.fromthewilderness.com/free/p ... haarp.html

Enjoy!
Chinmayanand
BRF Oldie

Post by Chinmayanand »

Debate over US healthcare reform takes an ugly turn

Barack Obama and other Democrats compared to Nazis as polls suggest the president is losing popularity
The health debate in the US is taking an ugly turn with Barack Obama and other Democrats pushing reform being compared with Nazis and one congressman having a swastika daubed outside his office.

The FBI is investigating the swastika that the staff of the congressman, David Scott, found painted on a sign bearing his name near the entrance to his office in Smyrna, Georgia.

The police hope that the incident might have been picked up on surveillance cameras.

The incident came less than a week after a rowdy town hall meeting in which Scott was involved in acrimonious exchanges with critics of Obama's proposed health reform.

In a separate incident, police admitted they were helpless to do anything about a man who openly carried a gun outside the venue where Obama addressed a public meeting on the health issue at Portsmouth, New Hampshire yesterday.

The man, William Kostric, held up a sign reading "it is time to water the tree of liberty," an apparent reference to a letter written by Thomas Jefferson that the the tree of liberty "must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants".

Police kept close watch on him but were unable to intervene because the law in New Hampshire allows firearms to be carried in public. Police were also hampered by the fact that Kostric was on private property at the time, a church near the public meeting. Also outside the meeting, a woman held a sign with Obama's face superimposed on a Nazi stormtrooper.

Such reactions reflect the emotions aroused by health reform, one of the most divisive issue in US politics of the last two decades. Meetings of members of Congress trying to sell Obama's call for health reform have frequently been disrupted. Some members of Congress have cancelled plans for further meetings but others pushed ahead today.

Obama, trying to win back ground lost to conservative opponents over the last month, is to return to the fray on Friday and over the weekend with further town hall meetings in Montana and elsewhere in the west.

Some recent opinion polls have suggested that Obama has lost popularity, down from the mid-60s or higher he enjoyed during his first six months in office to an approval rating of around 55%. But a Gallup poll published today found that opinions on healthcare had no significant shift over the last three weeks, with 49% saying they disapproved of Obama's desire to introduce healthcare reform and 43% approving. The poll was conducted last week. A similar one in the middle of last month had 50% disapproving and 44% approving.

The congressman who had the swastika painted outside his office is to ask the police for increased protection for himself and his family. Scott received hate mail after angrily denouncing healthcare critics at a meeting that received widespread television coverage in the US. He told the Associated Press that the swastika was probably intended as a warning and expressed hope that it will persuade reasonable people to maintain a more substantive debate. He said: "We must not allow it to intimidate us."

The Anti-Defamation League condemned the swastika paint job as a "frightening display of bigotry and ignorance that should not be tolerated by a democratic society."

The incident came after the rightwing talk show host Rush Limbaugh last week described Obama's healthcare logo as "right out of Adolf Hitler's playbook".

The campaigning on both sides will intensify over the next few weeks. Obama has set October as the deadline for having a healthcare bill on his desk for signing but in order to meet that the Senate will have to begin finalising work on the legislation by the middle of next month.

As part of the intensification, the US Chamber of Commerce today began airing 30-second adverts opposing health reform across 20 states. The ad concentrates on concerns that the expansion of healthcare coverage to the 50 million uninsured in the US will stretch an already inflated federal budget. It shows a balloon bursting, and predicts big tax increases and huge deficits.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

Just taking a straw poll trying to see how many BRFites support the current admin's healthcare overhaul program?

I for one am 400% in favor of a nationalization of healthcare in USA.
amdavadi
BRFite

Post by amdavadi »

i am not supporting obamacare. I also dont agree with lunatics like rush,hannity,glenn back,mark levin,savage. There has to be otherways of fixing our health care system.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

amdavadi wrote:i am not in favor of universal health care. There has to be otherways of fixing our health care system.
Whoever said it was about 'fixing' the healthcare system? IMO, its about fixing the system, period, in favor of Dem majorities for decades to come by creating a large voting class of people beholden to gubmint for their healthcare.

In any case, IMO it would force a financial choice between having a welfare state at home and an extensive empire girdling military machine. Not sustainable much longer the current sweet spot of the world's reserve currency making possible both poles meeting harmoniously in the land of milk, honey and opportunity. Look no farther than the EU to see what choosing one over another does to the latter.

IMO, the weak, poor, elderly, uninsured, dispossessed, chronically ill Americans are sufficiently deserving of empathy, sympathy and compassion that their plight take precedence over empire maintenance. IMVVHO only.
amdavadi
BRFite

Post by amdavadi »

admin's healthcare overhaul program
I for one am 400% in favor of a nationalization of healthcare in USA
lets stick to health care system, thats what you suggested by taking a straw poll.
Last edited by amdavadi on 13 Aug 2009 04:00, edited 1 time in total.
amdavadi
BRFite

Post by amdavadi »

Dem will lose majority in 2010,and if employment scene doesnt improve we may see repeat of 94. Who knows obama may follow papa bush as one term POTUS.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

lets stick to health care system, thats what you suggested by taking a straw poll.
Noble saar, I gave you my reasoning/opinion behind why I support obamacare. And no, I am no GOP fan either. The way the GOP mistreated the honorable Sri Ron Paul has me mightily pi$$ed at their pretensions.

Why do you oppose obamacare btw?

Is it not true sir, that many millions of Americans are only one serious illness away from bankruptcy? That health insurance is a big headache both for employers (costs) and for employees (mobility - moving means losing coverage)? Why oppose a singloe payer system in theory then? In practice, sure, funding issues remain.

Sure there have to be better ways to do anything. Specifying what better way is a tad rarer though.

Anyway, my point of reference is always 'India first'. How does it affect India - good or bad - types. And admittedly my reasoning is a tad convoluted. Too many ifs and buts.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

amdavadi wrote:Dem will lose majority in 2010,and if employment scene doesnt improve we may see repeat of 94. Who knows obama may follow papa bush as one term POTUS.
I hope that doesn't happen. Just like I hope labor returns to power in 2010.
John Snow
BRFite

Post by John Snow »

The average american has dumbed down to such great depths, I am at loss to understand ,how the press and media like CNN talk condescendingly about India. Pot calling the kettle black I guess

The public are confirming that Texas Toast Ralphy Jones of the country are no exceptions but the norm with this health care reform. Their ignorance and racism is scary, thanks Rush, beck, and Nwet.
God bless Amercia
Sanjay M
BRF Oldie

Bridge Too Far

Post by Sanjay M »

I'm wondering if the US healthcare debate is going to trigger a civil war in that country.

I think that the issue of reform of the US healthcare system would prove to be Obama's Waterloo.
It's too large an issue for him to tackle, or for Americans to swallow blindly.

I'm remembering that period when the backlash against the Ruby Ridge and Waco Dravidian raids took place, followed by the Oklahoma City bombings, etc.

The large rural conservative population are going to blow up like a firestorm against the attempted domination by urban elites and sophisticates. Theirs is an inherent mistrust of big government, which Atlanticists have always exploited, to egg them on in hatred of the Soviets et al. Now that the blue-eyed boy Obama is seeking to assert control over the fundamental pillar of healthcare, the freedom lobby is going to go berserk.

Obama and his left-wing and Atlanticist supporters have now gone "A Bridge Too Far"

Is this internal conflagration a moment that the rest of us should exploit, seizing the opportunity to break their collective hold on us, while they war among themselves? You'd better believe it.

Each side believes it's locked in a war for America's soul, and the 2 sides will not be reconciled with each other. Let's face it, the left-wing re-distributionists and their Atlanticist abettors want to grab hold of every last resource they can, in order to help themselves to it. In their eyes, nothing is earned, and everything is magically owed to them. They want Mandal everywhere, and healthcare is just another quota to them, out of so many more they wish to foist on society.

The Atlanticists see the US left-wingers as useful idiots -- like Epsilons scrabbling for Soma -- whose emotional torrent can be harnessed and turned to Atlanticist ends.

Personally, I agree with the Libertarians on this issue. It's not the right of the left-wing re-distributionists and their Atlanticist accomplices to get their greedy paws on everything, to gobble it up. The Left unscrupulously set their sights on what belongs to others, grandly declare something "broke and in need of fixing" and then quickly move to commandeer it to suit their own expediencies.

If Obama wants to fund his new healthcare system, then let him dissolve NATO and use those funds to pay for his grand scheme. Let him cut the billions he's spending on Pakistanis who buy bullets to shoot US soldiers. Let him cut all the pork-barrel money that gets doled out to all those NGOs. With all that he saves from that, he'll have more than enough money to fund his welfare state.
amdavadi
BRFite

Post by amdavadi »

O really scares me when his dealing with India is concern. I do remember during presidential debate he brought K word, and how resolving kashmir issue will help pakis to focus on issues that are important to US.

Few days ago some idiot cnn journo was on real time with bill maher. this dude was so high on his jihadi drug that his feeling was problem isnt pakis, but Big bad India that is sitting on eastern border.

I used to believe dem comming to power is good for India, but things have started going down with dem since 94 as they have became umbrella of leftish,socialist to communist groups. On otherhand, GOP has became white only party as there are hardly any minorities representation in GOP, and they are still clutching to their roots in south.
Sanjay M
BRF Oldie

Democrat = Wilsonian = Eurocentrist

Post by Sanjay M »

US Democrats are "Wilsonians" -- in other words, closet-Eurocentrists who camouflage their ethnic agenda under "enlightened internationalism" which is conveniently slanted in favour of their mother continent of Europe.

These Euro-leaning lobbies within the Democrats jealously guard their turf against any intrusion by Asians and even hispanics, lest the precious Euro-leanings be compromised.

While East Asians are fullsomely rejected as educated elitists, the hispanics represent an interesting non-European demographic whose interests the Atlanticist Democrats have to quietly tiptoe around, given that they have natural congruency with the rest of the welfare-statist ethnic minority bloc that the Democrats seek to rally to common cause. They pose the most potent threat of derailing the Euro-leaning Democrat agenda. Unlike the orphaned AfAm community, the hispanics still retain some deeper sense of historical identity and foreign ties.

Unfortunately, US conservatives and nativists are too self-centred and insular to be able to reach out across the ocean, as the Atlanticists invariably do, to make common cause with like-minded groups across the world and bolster their strength. Their only attempts in this direction have been through Evanjehadism, which only stokes conflict rather than consensus.
All conservatives and nationalists around the world tend to be divided into islands, unlike the international left-wing fraternity.
In India, even Shiv Sena and BJP don't see eye to eye on so many things.
Last edited by Sanjay M on 13 Aug 2009 06:15, edited 1 time in total.
AnimeshP
BRFite

Post by AnimeshP »

Well ... Obama fans have been trying to compare him with Abe Lincoln right from day 1 .... wonder if we might see a repeat of the Civil war under him ... :twisted:
Sanjay M
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanjay M »

While Lincoln fought a war along a geographic divide of North-vs-South, Obama will not have that convenience, instead seeing communities from all over the US geography rising in resistance.

Yes, we all know that the South leans more conservative in comparison to the North, but there's no clean geographic divide here. So you're going to see greater potential for inter-community clashes here.

Count on the Left to quickly start raising the race card at the earliest opportunity, since race-baiting tends to be among their most aggressive weapons, and they know this will be a knock-down drag-out fight.

Ironically, the more racially-tinged and high-pitched the debate becomes, the more it will taint Obama's presidency and damage his feigned centrist style. When things get too rough, he will try to reach out to the conservatives for reconciliation, raising hackles and charges of betrayal from Leftist hard-liners.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

US upto to the same old dirty tricks, Chennai and Bangalore have more than a thousand churches, name 1 western city which have 5 Hindu temples.
US body puts India under 'Watch List' on religious freedom
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/news ... 888149.cms
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

^^^

This is where Indian diplomacy fails miserably. Why can't we depute some right wing recruits from Hindu and Muslim organisations to engage the Christian right wing?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

vera_k wrote:^^^

This is where Indian diplomacy fails miserably. Why can't we depute some right wing recruits from Hindu and Muslim organisations to engage the Christian right wing?
Because they are considered pagans and under pagan influence.
amdavadi
BRFite

Post by amdavadi »

lets have some obscure indian group put US on the watch list for human right violation & violating minority rights. I can find whole bunch of mexican,purto rican,cuban to come forward who can testify regarding daily harrasment they face.

this is part of carrot & stick policy, why cant we carry the stick around? Because GOI is concentrating on improving economy,and we cant afford to make uncle mad?
Sanjay M
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanjay M »

Their human rights orgs have no teeth without the aid of their ethnically slanted media - the same media that claims Russia attacked Georgia in South Ossetia.

What we need are media watchdog groups to draw attention to the hypocrisy and lack of credibility among Western media liars clubs.

Actually, such watchdogs even need to highlight the hypocrisy from rentable Indian media as well.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

The best route to take against these US religious freedom organizations is simply to besmirch the credentials of its officials through unofficial means - their associations with right-wing Christian groups, bribing by those Christian groups, police records on them, previous racist remarks, previous negative writings of them on Indic faiths, paedophillic tendencies, etc. etc. And if you don't find anything just start throwing mud on them left and right. Some of it will stick. Provoke them to say some bull$hit. Use that to finish off their careers. One would always find willing collaborators, who also have their own axe to grind.

Of course, one can just refuse them a visa to ever visit India. Put them on a red list and share that list with all other friendly countries.

Most important is of course, to not pay any attention to them.
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

RajeshA wrote:The best route to take against these US religious freedom organizations is simply to besmirch the credentials of its officials through unofficial means - their associations with right-wing Christian groups, bribing by those Christian groups, police records on them, previous racist remarks, previous negative writings of them on Indic faiths, paedophillic tendencies, etc. etc. And if you don't find anything just start throwing mud on them left and right. Some of it will stick. Provoke them to say some bull$hit. Use that to finish off their careers. One would always find willing collaborators, who also have their own axe to grind.

Of course, one can just refuse them a visa to ever visit India. Put them on a red list and share that list with all other friendly countries.

Most important is of course, to not pay any attention to them.
Case in point: A right wing nutcase and radio talkshow host called Michael Savage (actualy Name: Michael Weiner). He is banned by UK which has put him on "Least Wanted" list (alogn side with Hitler and other terrorists )to enter UK. But his show in US is already off the air.

This nutcase is now playing a typical "I am jewish and therefore this is being done unto me." His has scribbled many books (well...more hate p0rnography) which were published by a publisher of Christian idealogy. It is clearly evident from his talkshow that he belongs to some white supramacist believing organization.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

This right wing talk radio thiungie seems to be a US only phenomenon. Why aren't there talk radio stations in other countries, including India? Heck, perhaps there can be a BRF hour when forum gurus wax eloquent on the pressing geostrategic scenarios of the day.... :mrgreen:
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

Hari Seldon wrote:This right wing talk radio thiungie seems to be a US only phenomenon
radio is just one tool of many to spread hate. there are many other means like some churches, religious groups, associations and why even recent "tea parties" have been spreading lot of hate in US.

As far as US only...I don't think that is true. Pukes have Zaid Hamids, Hamid Guls, besides their madrassas and tanzeems, Masjids, and just as some one mentioned on paki thread, their Urdu news papers doing the needful for them. Haven't we heard the Mullah radio FM.

The idea that BRF creating a 10/15/or even 30 min video capsules on pressing issues is a great one if BRF wants to expand to the next level. It all depends on the mission/vision of BRF and then of resources. But I think N^3 would advise that we first do a good job of SRR before we venture in to this :)
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

This right wing talk radio thiungie seems to be a US only phenomenon. Why aren't there talk radio stations in other countries, including India? Heck, perhaps there can be a BRF hour when forum gurus wax eloquent on the pressing geostrategic scenarios of the day.... :mrgreen:

In Pakistan, they don't have the benefits of Bose's investigations on the wireless, so the Mullahs use megaphones to work the faithful in hateful speeches against Hindus and Christians.

See how Pakistan is soo Americanized. India is nothing, again.
Chinmayanand
BRF Oldie

Post by Chinmayanand »

India slams US body's criticism on religious freedom

NEW DELHI: India on Thursday slammed a US body's move to put India on its 'watch list' for allegedly inadequate response in protecting its religious minorities, and asserted that the Indian constitution guarantees freedom of religion and equality of opportunity to all its citizens.

"India, a country of 1.1 billion people, is a multi-ethnic and multi-religious society," external affairs ministry spokesperson Vishnu Prakash said in response to a question.

"The constitution of India guarantees freedom of religion and equality of opportunity to all its citizens who live and work together in peace and harmony," he said.

"Aberrations, if any, are dealt with promptly within our legal framework, under the watchful eye of an independent judiciary and a vigilant media," the spokesperson said.

"The reported move referred to in the news reports is regrettable," he said.

Prakash was referring to the decision of the US Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF) to place India on its 'watch list' due to "disturbing increase" in communal violence against religious minorities in the country.

In a statement in Washington Wednesday, the USCIRF said India earned the 'watch list' designation due to the "disturbing increase" in communal violence against religious minorities - specifically Christians in Orissa in 2008 and Muslims in Gujarat in 2002 - and the largely inadequate response from the Indian government to protect the rights of religious minorities.

A country designated on the USCIRF 'watch list' requires "close monitoring due to the nature and extent of violations of religious freedom engaged in or tolerated by the government".

The USCIRF, which released its annual report early this year, had put off the publication of its India chapter due to the general elections held in April and May.

USCIRF members were keen to visit India for their first hand assessment of the situation but they were not given visas. :lol:
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

USCIRF members were keen to visit India for their first hand assessment of the situation but they were not given visas.
Good job GOI.... clap clap.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Hari Seldon wrote:This right wing talk radio thiungie seems to be a US only phenomenon.
Rwanda had quite a few.
AnimeshP
BRFite

Post by AnimeshP »

svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

g.kacha wrote:<span>[url=<a href="http://www.business-standard.com/india/ ... 89/on%5DUS" class="smarterwiki-linkify">http://www.business-standard.com/india/ ... e/70689/on]US</a> wants freedom of religion to be part of Indo-US dialogue[/url]</span>

No Comments ...
THis can start when Christianity recognizes Hinduism as a religion and Vatican allows temples to be built in Vatican city.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

The USCIRF fiasco certainly damages US-India relations. Why is it that the various sultanates and dear friends such as China and KSA are not on the watch list? Because they have suppressed any media reporting of it. The Obama administration knows this and is an excuse to publicly vilify India. Its actually quite clever. Use the evanjihadists, who are typically Republican, to ruin the relationship between Indians and the US Republican party and then force India to make compromises, such as the NPT/CTBT and carbon emissions, and succumb to the Obama administration and Atlanticist agenda. This will ensure Indian-Americans donate less to the Republicans and make them a vote bank for the Democrats.

I've noticed many Indian-Americans who adore/love Obama have now become silent after this and the G8 pronouncements.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Didn't some esteemed Forum members asked us to be prepared for the launch of the Arihant, Well heres the response and as ususal BBC was thinking it was the news item.