Indian Military Aviation

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Military Aviation

Post by Kartik »

some more details from AW&ST regarding the MiG-29K..

-The first 4 aircraft are expected to be delivered by this year end, 12 months behind schedule, as per an Indian Navy official, although there is no aircraft carrier for them yet. The fighters will be shore based until the situation is rectified

- Naval pilot instructors are now in a five-month training course in Russia, and India is subsequently planning to operate the MiG-29Ks for training purposes from Dabolim air base in Goa. As Russia did not have slots available for training 3 years ago, India sent pilots to train at the US Naval Air Training Command at NAS Kingsville, Texas and other institutes (I had once posted a scan showing an IN pilot whose interview was given in a Boeing Frontier's mag.). This was part of a strike-pilot program that was established in 2006 to train 32 pilots in batches of 4, every 6 months, over a period of 4 years.
b_patel
BRFite

Post by b_patel »

-The first 4 aircraft are expected to be delivered by this year end, 12 months behind schedule, as per an Indian Navy official, although there is no aircraft carrier for them yet. The fighters will be shore based until the situation is rectified
Does that surprise you at all that they were delivered almost a year late? Its a little ridiculous that Russia can't even deliver aircraft on time; its not like they are building large amounts of fighters for their own airforce. They should be used to building Mig-29's anyway.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

b_patel wrote:
Does that surprise you at all that they were delivered almost a year late? Its a little ridiculous that Russia can't even deliver aircraft on time; its not like they are building large amounts of fighters for their own airforce. They should be used to building Mig-29's anyway.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt- maybe you really aren't aware of how different the MiG-29K is from a basic MiG-29 or even a MiG-29SMT. there has been re-engineering of a lot of systems to make it more modern, and quite a bit of Indian Navy specific avionics and other equipment have been added. this isn't a manufacturing issue- its an engineering and flight testing issue relating to the development of the MiG-29K/KUB, which in itself has taken elements from the MiG-29M2 program. because its not similar to any RuAF variant, there will be significant certification effort that has to be undertaken, before a MiG-29K can be handed over to the customer.

and its not like Western companies like LM or Boeing are immune to developmental delays and in fact its rare to see a major new engineering or re-engineering program being on exact schedule. and even the F-35, F-22 were delayed and have seen massive cost overruns for both development and acquisition.

maybe you ought to educate yourself on the MiG-29K for the IN, on the Bharat Rakshak's Navy page.
JaiS
Forum Moderator

Post by JaiS »

From

CAE to supply C130-J simulators to Indian Air Force

What other simulators do you have operational in the Indian market? Is the Indian military using any now? Is the Dhruv simulator completed?

Stellwag: CAE has delivered the following simulators to the Indian defence forces: An An-32 flight training device, a MiG-27 part-task trainer, a Cheetah full-mission simulator, and a Jaguar full-mission simulator. We are currently developing a DO228 flight training device that we will soon deliver. In addition, HAL and CAE have established the Helicopter Academy to Train by Simulation of Flying (HATSOFF), a joint venture equally-owned by HAL and CAE. As part of this new helicopter training centre, CAE is developing a full-mission simulator featuring CAE's revolutionary roll-on/roll-off cockpit design, which enables cockpits representing various helicopter types to be used in the simulator. We will design and manufacture cockpits for four helicopter types: the Indian Army/Air Force variant of the HAL-built Dhruv, the civil variant of the Dhruv, the Bell 412 and the Eurocopter Dauphin.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Russia to deliver engines for Indian MiG fighters
Rosoboronexport and Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) have signed a contract at the MAKS-2009 air show on the delivery of 26 RD-33 series 3 engines to India, Russia's state arms exporter said on Friday.

The RD-33 series 3 is an upgraded version of the RD-33 powerful RD-33 turbofan engine with thrust vectoring for MiG family fighters. The engine provides superior maneuverability and enhances the fighter's performance in close air engagements.

In 2005, Russia signed a $250 million deal with India to modernize engines for the MiG-29 fighters of the Indian Air Force. According to the terms of the deal, HAL will make 120 RD-33 series 3 jet engines at its Koraput plant for the upgrade of MiG-29 fighters.

The current contract will help HAL master the assembly of the RD-33 jet engines and use the experience in the assembly of next generation jet engines.

"These engines are installed on MiG aircraft, including the MiG-35 fighters, which are participating in the announced tender on the delivery of 126 fighters to the Indian air force," a Rosoboronexport official said.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Guys can anyone tell which all support aircraft flew in with the F-18??? Cause i think i just saw a KC-10 extender overfly my home at approx 1100hrs...

PS- sorry mods, didn't know if this could be posted in the MRCA thread...
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

In 2005, Russia signed a $250 million deal with India to modernize engines for the MiG-29 fighters of the Indian Air Force. According to the terms of the deal, HAL will make 120 RD-33 series 3 jet engines at its Koraput plant for the upgrade of MiG-29 fighters.

The current contract will help HAL master the assembly of the RD-33 jet engines and use the experience in the assembly of next generation jet engines.

"These engines are installed on MiG aircraft, including the MiG-35 fighters, which are participating in the announced tender on the delivery of 126 fighters to the Indian air force," a Rosoboronexport official said
From the link that Austin posted. This is a bit confusing because the MiG-35 or the MiG-29K don't use the RD-33 ser3, they use the RD-33MK. THe MK has a thrust of 90KN AB while the ser.3 are up to 83kn. Most SMT upgrades (which is what the IAF baaz upg. will ultimately be) will have the ser 3 for which the HAL mfg contract was signed I think. Or was the contract for the MKs?

CM.
sanjaychoudhry
BRFite

Post by sanjaychoudhry »

Indo-Russia to ink transport aircraft JV pact in Sep.
http://www.myiris.com/newsCentre/storyS ... D=livenews
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Cain Marko wrote:From the link that Austin posted. This is a bit confusing because the MiG-35 or the MiG-29K don't use the RD-33 ser3, they use the RD-33MK. THe MK has a thrust of 90KN AB while the ser.3 are up to 83kn. Most SMT upgrades (which is what the IAF baaz upg. will ultimately be) will have the ser 3 for which the HAL mfg contract was signed I think. Or was the contract for the MKs?

CM.
I think its series 3 and not MK , unless the IAF is keen to uprate the thrust on some of its Mig-29 or get 3 TVC capability for series 3 with the new engine , though both highly unlikely.

Rolls Royce Engine Upgrade proposal for Jaguar Upgrade link
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

a better story

MAKS 2009: Russia to deliver 26 RD-33 series-3 engines to India news
The RD-33 series-3 is an upgraded version of the baseline RD-33 turbofan engine and is aimed primarily at providing a longer service life. The model is essentially used as an upgrade on older variants of the MiG-29, such as the MiG-29M and MiG-29SMT. On an ad-hoc basis it can even be equipped with thrust vectoring nozzle (TVN).
In 2005, Russia and India signed a $250 million deal aimed at modernizing engines for the MiG-29 fighters of the Indian Air Force. Under the terms of the deal, HAL is to produce 120 RD-33 series-3 jet engines at its Koraput plant as part of an overall upgrade of MiG-29 fighters.

This contract is expected to help HAL master not just the assembly of the RD-33 jet engines but also use the experience in the assembly of next generation jet engines.
Mahesh_R
BRFite

Post by Mahesh_R »

Gurus,

Can any one provide more information on this new AWACS ?

I haven't heard much about this new AWACS in news.

Russia Delivers First of 3 AWACS to India

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i= ... =ASI&s=TOP
The A-50, based on the Ilyushin Il-76 transport aircraft, is produced by the Irkut-controlled Beriev aviation plant, Taganrog, and can control up to 10 fighter aircraft
Thanks
SRay
BRFite -Trainee

Post by SRay »

Mahesh_R wrote: Russia Delivers First of 3 AWACS to India
http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i= ... =ASI&s=TOP
Another report of this:
http://www.avionews.com/index.php?corpo ... Dindex.php

Is someone confusing the mainstay with the phalcon system we're getting from israel? Both are based on the Il-76 airframe, but I thought that we were denied the A-50 years ago by Russia. There should have been more news about this deal.
bart
BRFite

Post by bart »

Russia supplied only the A-50 airframe and perhaps the integration services pertaining to the airframe, and also took their own sweet time to deliver. That press article can be ignored, its more of the Russian hot air and exaggeration that has become typical of Russian defence companies media interactions. The guy should have clearly specified that Russia supplied the aircraft, instead he made it appear that Russia supplied a complete AWACS system.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

India evaluated the Beriev A-50 'Mainstay' several years ago and the IAF was disappointed with its performance. There was one which was based in Chandigarh as per the grapewine.
The Phalcon AWACS that India is getting is the Elta EL/M-2075 Phased array Radar along with 3 other sensors (IFF, ESM/ELINT and CSM/COMINT) all integrated into a common "Phalcon" system

The airframe on which this has been mounted for India's first 3 Awacs order is the A-50 platform (Called the A-50 I). There is speculation that the second line order of 4 aircraft may have a different aircraft.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Pics from Vishnu. He just flew an MKI at MAKS and got some cockpit shots .
flew a Su-30MKI sortie at the Moscow airshow with Yuri Valchuk ... one of Sukhoi's Chief Test pilots. Did a Kulbit, flat spin etc ... I have some of that on tape. Will send you a video of what a thrust-vectored flat spin looks like from inside a cockpit. Meanwhile ... here are a few images of my sortie ... the interesting pic here is the trigger for the KH-59 ...
ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

anyone keeping count of his sorties? !!!
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

I dont get the logic behind making this news public :evil: Why does the world need to know and by extension the pigs across the border? Just a repeat of even when the first MKI went down.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Dmurphy wrote:
I dont get the logic behind making this news public :evil: Why does the world need to know and by extension the pigs across the border? Just a repeat of even when the first MKI went down.

OK let me guess.

I suspect it is something like this..

When a plane goes down mysteriously it is sometimes a cause that can affect the entire fleet. So. for safety considerations and checks, the entire fleet is grounded. However that does not mean they cannot be made to fly again right away if friendly neighborhood purelanders get a premature hard on. It matters little whether the news is made public or not.

More important is to get to the bottom of the cause of the accident.
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

:rotfl: explained like only Dr. Shiv can!!
m mittal
BRFite -Trainee

Post by m mittal »

The revised schedule of first flight of LCH was in August 2009 which is almost over.

Does anyone has any info from the paanwallas??
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

I was just about to write about the LCH..actually more so because I was readinn an article in AW&ST on the Korean Attack Helicopter program. the S. Koreans are in a bind, and I'll write about it later. Reading it gives some insights into the HAL Light Combat Heli program, and how it may have also evolved and schedule related difficulties.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

FWIW, from a member who has a paanwala, LCH prototype is ready. they are facing some weight issues with the landing gear since it has to withstand some really tough crash requirements.

but even with this extra weight LCH should be leagues ahead of any other attack helo in terms of T/W ratio.

apparently designers are afraid of not meeting full specs on day one and facing negative publicity from DDM. :roll: (hats off to DDM :x )

they want to have a perfect start to the program. unfortunately this approach means more delay to the flight tests.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Rahul M wrote:FWIW, from a member who has a paanwala, LCH prototype is ready. they are facing some weight issues with the landing gear since it has to withstand some really tough crash requirements.

but even with this extra weight LCH should be leagues ahead of any other attack helo in terms of T/W ratio.

apparently designers are afraid of not meeting full specs on day one and facing negative publicity from DDM. :roll: (hats off to DDM :x )

they want to have a perfect start to the program. unfortunately this approach means more delay to the flight tests.
compare the dates for the start of the LCH program, to what the South Koreans anticipate for their Korean Attack Helicopter and you'll see its no mean achievement..keep in mind that the LCH is a substantial and deep modification of the ALH. the South Korean model looks primitive compared to what the LCH looks like in terms of narrowing down the fuselage, IR suppression and crashworthy landing gear..the LCH will also greatly benefit from the good high altitude performance and agility of its ancestor, the Dhruv.

article link

Attack Helo Could Sustain S. Korean Skills

An attack derivative of the Surion utility helicopter is shaping up as a likely project to sustain Korea Aerospace Industries’ hard-won aeronautics development skills.

As the engineering effort on the Surion winds down, other projects that could keep the company’s engineers busy include a civil aircraft, such as the regional jet revealed last year, and the KFX fighter.

The need for development work is clearly driving the push for a home-grown attack helicopter, since foreign producers already offer advanced models whose price and performance could be difficult for Korea Aerospace, a new arrival in the rotary-wing business, to improve on.

The South Korean government and industry are considering four alternative schemes under the Korean Attack Helicopter program to fill the requirement for 274 aircraft to replace about 70 Bell AH-1Ss and 270 Hughes 500s from 2018:

•A simple addition of stub wings and weapons to the Surion. With 87% commonality with the Surion, development of this model would take four years and cost 200 billion won ($160 million), Korea Aerospace says. The unit price would be 21 billion won.

(my point- this would be akin to the Weaponised Dhruv ALH, which are already being productionised for handing over to the IA)

•A new stepped cockpit grafted on to the Surion cabin, along with the wings and weapon systems, with 73% commonality. Development time and cost would rise to five years and 700 billion won, and unit cost to 23.1 billion won.

(my point- a very ineffective solution, as it retains the large mid-body shape and weight that is unnecessary for an attack helo. this is also mentioned in the article)

•A new body, including cockpit, but otherwise retaining as much as possible from the Surion, notably the power train, and offering 63% commonality. This aircraft would need six years and up to 1 trillion won for development and would cost 24.8 billion won per unit.

(My point- this is where the LCH fits in. its retained whatever can possibly be retained from the Dhruv, but fit into the narrower fuselage of the LCH. AFAIK, the powertrain is common between the two variants)

•An attack helicopter unrelated to the Surion. This could be an adaptation of a foreign design.

None of these concepts will be free from criticism.

The first two seem to be highly compromised in the quest for commonality, since the engines would have to haul around the mass of a transport helicopter body that would offer little advantage in an attack mission while offering a larger, more sluggish target.

The second option is visually similar to the 12-ton Mil Mi-24 assault and attack helicopter, but the South Korean aircraft would not act in such a role, striking from the air and landing infantry to assault from the ground. A scale model shows that the design has no large doors for infantry, and that the cabin could be obstructed by carry-through structure of the mid-mounted wings.

All three proposed derivatives may be open to the charge they are bigger than necessary, a result of the choice of the power train from the 8.7-metric-ton Surion.

The Korean Attack Helicopter program has been aimed at developing a light- to medium-size aircraft, akin to the 6-ton Eurocopter Tiger. South Korea’s AH-1s have a 4.5-ton maximum weight.

(my point- the LCH fits just below the Tiger and the earlier generation AH-1s as far as all-up weight goes)

But the rating of the Surion’s two General Electric T700-GE-701K turboshafts—each at 1,383 kw. (1,854 hp.) for 10 min.—would put an attack derivative in the same class as the Boeing AH-64 Apache, which has a design mission gross weight of 8 tons and an overload ferry-mission weight of 10.4 tons.

The South Korean armed forces have sought Apaches, but only 36. That effort may be dropped in favor of the Korean Attack Helicopter.

If the proposal for an aircraft unrelated to the Surion produced an all-new design, it would face criticism as a costly reinvention of what was already available. A new helicopter would, however, offer to greatly extend the rotary-wing skills that Korea Aerospace has learned from developing Surion with help from Eurocopter (AW&ST Aug. 10, p. 34).

Any of the three derivative designs would add to the considerable production run of components for the 245 Surions that the armed forces and government have said are required. A derivative attack helicopter would result in South Korea building 519 related helicopters.

Foreign support for attack helicopter development would also be likely, with Eurocopter well placed for the work.

The Surion has been developed under the Korean Utility Helicopter program, the survivor of the former Korean Multirole Helicopter program, which also encompassed an attack helicopter until that element was dropped in January 2005 to reduce development risks.

The attack derivatives of the Surion therefore revive the original proposal for two helicopter types under a single broad program.

One military official tells the Yonhap news agency that development must begin next year for entry into service by 2018. The national security council directed in 2005 that no decision on the attack helicopter be taken before an assessment of the Surion, now due by October 2010. The finance ministry is accordingly refusing to release the first 3 billion won of development funding for the attack helicopter until then.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

just looked up the price of the GE F414 and the Eurojet EJ200 engines..got a shock ! the F414 is priced around $ 4 million, whereas the EJ200 is nearly $10 million ! 98 engines plus spares and options plus ToT means that just the engines for approx 5 squadrons of Tejas Mk.2 will cost us over a billion $..if only they'd spent more on the Kaveri development..
Bob V
BRFite

Post by Bob V »

Rahul M wrote:FWIW, from a member who has a paanwala, LCH prototype is ready. they are facing some weight issues with the landing gear since it has to withstand some really tough crash requirements.

one of the reasons for the delay is something which has never been reported in the mainstream media...... not only the LCH but a couple of major projects are facing the consequences of that incident.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

and what might that be ? the composite delamination incident on tail rotor?
Bob V
BRFite

Post by Bob V »

the incident happened 5 years ago....I think Bangalore residents or anyone in the defence circles would be in the know.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

If bangalore residents know of this, then pray enlighten the rest of us please.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

that was traced to some Swiss sourced composite material whose resin had apparently expired and was used to make the tail rotor..that was a QC issue, not a design fault. BTW, delamination can occur due to various causes, not just old resin. a dent on the rotor or composite panel can initiate delamination, and in some cases, even that dent may not be visible. maintenance and inspection become very important in such cases. if more than 2 plies on average aircraft panels delaminate, its beyond the allowable damage tolerance limit and a repair has to be initiated before any flight..if the delamination is within certain dimensions, it can be tracked and finally repaired whenever the aircraft is due for 'A' level or 'B' level maintenance.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by KrishG »

Kartik wrote:just looked up the price of the GE F414 and the Eurojet EJ200 engines..got a shock ! the F414 is priced around $ 4 million, whereas the EJ200 is nearly $10 million ! 98 engines plus spares and options plus ToT means that just the engines for approx 5 squadrons of Tejas Mk.2 will cost us over a billion $..if only they'd spent more on the Kaveri development..
Don't worry! The thrust vectoring version will cost us around 12 million USD and the 103 kN + thrust vectoring could cost even more. Maybe, the new Tranche-3 orders would take the unit price lower for the basic 90 kN version but we would have to pay the development costs if MoD wish to go for 103 kN version (ie if it is offered).
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

could the cost simply be based on the numbers sold so far? Economies of scale and all that, could it simply be that the number of shornets built so far is more than twice the number of tiffies? 250 odd engines for the LCA might see some competitive jockeying by the Euros.

CM.
Nihat
BRFite

Post by Nihat »

250 odd engines for the LCA might see some competitive jockeying by the Euros.
why an order for 250 engines , the first 2 squadrons are probably going to be powered by the F-404 and remaining i.e 160 jets (tops) would need the Eurojet/ GE engine. Why do we need the extra 90 engines.
caesar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by caesar »

India's C-130J
India’s Lockheed Martin C-130J Super Hercules Airlifter

The Lockheed Martin C-130J Hercules is the most advanced airlifter ever built. The C-130J combines the latest in aerospace technology with a proven, rugged airframe design, resulting in an aircraft that gives an operator more capability with greater operational efficiency.

This is India’s first experience with C-130s so the package being provided by the U.S. government is a complete solution. The package includes six aircraft, three years of initial support, training of aircrew and maintenance technicians, spares, ground support and test equipment, servicing carts, forklifts, loading vehicles, cargo pallets, and a team of technical specialists who will be based in India during the three year initial support period. Also included in the package is India-unique operational equipment designed to increase Special Operations capabilities. In addition, the C-130J Super Hercules will provide the Indian Air Force with modern and effective airlift to support a wide range of national requirements.

In keeping with IAF requirements, the US Government has offered a unique C-130J configuration modified for special mission roles. Equipped with an Infrared Detection Set (IDS), the aircraft will be able to perform precision low-level flying, airdrops, and landing in blackout conditions. Self protection systems and other features are included to ensure aircraft survivability in hostile air defence environments. In addition the aircraft is equipped with air-to-air receiver refueling capability for extended range operations. Lockheed Martin will integrate this equipment and other capabilities into the Indian configuration as agreed between the governments.

The Indian Air Force’s new Super Hercules will be the longer fuselage or "stretched" variant of the C‑130J, similar to those being delivered to the U.S. Air Force. Deliveries to India will begin in 2011. India joins the growing number of nations with C-130J fleets including the United States, Australia, Canada, Demark, Italy, Norway and the United Kingdom. The C-130J carries eight 463L pallets, 97 medical litters, 24 CDS bundles, 128 combat troops and 92 paratroops.

While the exterior looks very much like previous C-130s, the C-130J mission and propulsion systems have been completely redesigned. Primary features of the C-130J include a new digital avionics architecture and propulsion system, twin head-up pilot displays that are certified as primary flight instruments, and dual mission computers that automate many functions, allowing the aircraft to be operated by only two pilots and a loadmaster.

The net effect of these improvements is enhanced performance of the aircraft, and greater reliability of the systems and components. For instance, when compared with C‑130E models, the C-130J can provide 40-percent greater range, a 40 percent higher cruising ceiling, a 50-percent decrease in time-to-climb, a 21 percent increase in maximum speed, and a-41 percent decrease in maximum effort takeoff run.

A key to the C-130J’s increased performance is the new propulsion system. Four Rolls Royce AE 2100D3 engines, each flat rated at 4,591 shaft horsepower, generate 29 percent more thrust while being 15-percent more fuel efficient. The all composite six-blade Dowty Aerospace R391 propeller system is lighter and has fewer moving parts than previous Hercules propellers. Engines are precisely controlled by a full authority digital electronic control.

The heart of the new Hercules advanced technology is its modern flight station with multi-function, liquid crystal displays (LCD) for aircraft flight control, operating and navigation systems. In addition to four displays on the instrument panel, pilots use holographic head-up displays, approved as primary flight instruments, a precedent among military transports. The displays are all compatible with night vision imaging systems, enabling the crew to operate the aircraft in areas where special missions dictate blackout conditions.

The dual mission computers manage and automate many of the functions formerly performed by the flight engineer and navigator. Aircraft systems are constantly monitored and crews are advised of status or malfunction as required. Some of the new systems of the aircraft that are managed by the mission computers include the full authority digital engine controls, the advisory caution and warning system, automatic thrust control, computerized maintenance recording, the electronic circuit breaker system, the enhanced stall warning system, the advanced digital map, and a state-of-the-art communication/navigation suite.

The C-130J takes full advantage of the Global Positioning System and other highly reliable, automated navigation and route planning aides. This allows the cockpit crew to focus on the mission and on flying rather than on managing aircraft systems.

Lockheed Martin Aeronautical Systems began development of the C-130J in 1991 using corporate development funds. The first C-130J rolled off the assembly line in October 1995. That same aircraft, which had been ordered by the United Kingdom’s Royal Air Force, flew for the first time on April 5, 1996. Following one of the most comprehensive flight tests programs ever, the C-130J received type certification from the Federal Aviation Administration in August 1998, and deliveries began soon afterward.
caesar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by caesar »

C-130J copilot's HUD

m mittal
BRFite -Trainee

Post by m mittal »

Nihat wrote:
250 odd engines for the LCA might see some competitive jockeying by the Euros.
why an order for 250 engines , the first 2 squadrons are probably going to be powered by the F-404 and remaining i.e 160 jets (tops) would need the Eurojet/ GE engine. Why do we need the extra 90 engines.

Every airforce carry extra engines for maintenance purposes.
sunny y
BRFite

Post by sunny y »

Hi Friends......Finally I have done this. After months of visiting BR & getting fascinated by the amount of knowledge that people here shares, I have finally registered myself on this forum. Now I can proudly call myself a BRF member.
This is my first post in this forum.....My knowledge about defence services is still in infancy stage. So please forgive me if questions sound stupid .....

I have following queries....

1) We call Dhruv indegenously developed Helicopter. I have always thought that Dhruv was entirely developed by HAL. there was no foreign assistance except for the design from germans. But as I started gathering knowledge about it , I came to know that HAL signed a contract with IAI for complete avoinics system. But it was also mentioned that first 40 Dhruv's supplied to AF were fitted with HAL built avoinics. So can anybody please clarify what is the current status of the avoinics? Are the Dhruv's that are currently in service or waiting to be inducted are fitted with IAI avoinics or HAL?
I mean why did we have to sign IAI for avoincs when we have experience with Tejas (After this I am not sure whether Tejas avoinics were ours or some phoren maal). This is not something new for us....Please clarify this....I simply love Dhruv. It's very bad to see that we are still dependent on foreign countries for most important parts. So what are we basically doing...... just creating the structure & then assembling everything not developing....If that's the case then I think we are no different from Chinese....

2) Wiki says that plan for Naval Dhruv for ASW was shelved. What is the current status ? Is the IN currently using Dhruv for only transport purposes.....

3) This is related to our destroyers & frigates. Are the radars, sonars, VLS sytems developed by us or some foreign assistance. AFAIK Arihant's sonar is being developed by DRDO. That's some good news.

I again apologise if I sound naive..... but these are the questions that have benn bothering me very badly..... Please clarify this....

Thanks
Drevin
BRFite

Post by Drevin »

KrishG wrote:Don't worry! The thrust vectoring version will cost us around 12 million USD and the 103 kN + thrust vectoring could cost even more. Maybe, the new Tranche-3 orders would take the unit price lower for the basic 90 kN version but we would have to pay the development costs if MoD wish to go for 103 kN version (ie if it is offered).
In addition,

1. The TVC nozzle has a 24degree deflection capability in all directions. It has a new design that makes it ultra-low weight. So if the lca needs tvc (which i doubt 100%) this is absolutely the best way to go.

2. However problem is LCA FBW so far doesnot seem to be upgradable to handle the new vectors. As far as I know this is a major problem. Vanilla EJ200 maybe the only option along with the 414-400 for lca.

3. The EJ230 needs a real "will of god" to impress MOD. EJ230 can only be funded by a bigger project like the MMRCA and not by 250 engines alone.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

sunnyyy wrote: It's very bad to see that we are still dependent on foreign countries for most important parts.
Heloooo

Wake up and smell the coffee mate.

There is no such thing as 100% indigenous.
Drevin
BRFite

Post by Drevin »