Indian Autos Thread

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Re: Indian Autos Thread

Post by ArmenT »

^^^
There's also the self-sealing variety. Basically there is an inner lining in the tire that has a quick-setting puncture sealing solution and when it is pierced, it seals small holes almost immediately.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

When I was taking driving lessons in the ageing amby of the driving school, I tried to go around a pothole. The 'aasaan' assured me that I don't have to worry about potholes, because the tyres are stuffed with straw instead of air.

On my last class he voluntarily admitted that it was done to instill confidence in he student.
nikhil_p
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by nikhil_p »

Sister is buying a car...
budget of 4 lacs max!
I suggested the Vista TDi (Quadrajet out of budget! :(( )
Or the Indigo CS.
She is a Sr. Manager...
Please suggest something...deal to be finalized SOON.

P.S: I am a TATA lover... personally drive an Indica DLS!
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

^^^ 2 Nanos? or since you mentioned she is a senior manager, there is a min. baseline? Be very careful when suggesting vehicles to female relatives/GHQ/SHQ - what the mujahid thinks is a sound rational value-for-money decision need not look like one to the above mentioned specifies who process it thru their specialized filter. :mrgreen:
nikhil_p
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by nikhil_p »

Raja Bose wrote:^^^ 2 Nanos? or since you mentioned she is a senior manager, there is a min. baseline? Be very careful when suggesting vehicles to female relatives/GHQ/SHQ - what the mujahid thinks is a sound rational value-for-money decision need not look like one to the above mentioned specifies who process it thru their specialized filter. :mrgreen:
Car should look good....and be big (she is 5.9)...so she doesnt want to go for the i-10 and stuff... I know...end of the day..whatever I suggest...she will buy what her HEART tells her! :((
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Cat among the pigeons is a good review about the latest Jaguar XF as one of the best turbo diesel in the market. TATA also gets a mention.
Jaguar's ambition to become the British equivalent of Porsche is going to plan.

Now under the stewardship of India's Tata Motors rather than the US's Ford, the English marque wants to copy Porsche's successful low-volume, high-profit business model.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Rahul M wrote:DNA isn't the most believable source.
DNA is the English operation of Dainik Bhaskar. Should be as if not more credible than ToI & co.
bart
BRFite

Post by bart »

nikhil_p wrote:Sister is buying a car...
budget of 4 lacs max!
I suggested the Vista TDi (Quadrajet out of budget! :(( )
Or the Indigo CS.
She is a Sr. Manager...
Please suggest something...deal to be finalized SOON.

P.S: I am a TATA lover... personally drive an Indica DLS!

Nikhilji,

Base model of Indica QJD is aroun 4.2 ex showroom. They are also giving free insurance and some cash discounts, so it would be a good idea to stretch your budget and go for it.

If not, you can still get a fully loaded Safire for around your budget. Punto 1.2 is also 3.99 ex showroom.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

vera_k wrote:
Rahul M wrote:DNA isn't the most believable source.
DNA is the English operation of Dainik Bhaskar. Should be as if not more credible than ToI & co.
that's as bad a damnation as I have seen in sometime ! :P
bart
BRFite

Post by bart »

nikhil_p wrote:
Raja Bose wrote:^^^ 2 Nanos? or since you mentioned she is a senior manager, there is a min. baseline? Be very careful when suggesting vehicles to female relatives/GHQ/SHQ - what the mujahid thinks is a sound rational value-for-money decision need not look like one to the above mentioned specifies who process it thru their specialized filter. :mrgreen:
Car should look good....and be big (she is 5.9)...so she doesnt want to go for the i-10 and stuff... I know...end of the day..whatever I suggest...she will buy what her HEART tells her! :((

Incidentally, the Nano not only looks as good/better but has a LOT more space (seating, not boot/storage) than any of the Korean/Jap models under 4.5 L. Only problem is that practically speaking its not available for sale as they are still clearing the backlog of pre-booked Nanos.
VikB
BRFite

Post by VikB »

nikhil_p wrote:Car should look good....and be big (she is 5.9)...so she doesnt want to go for the i-10 and stuff... I know...end of the day..whatever I suggest...she will buy what her HEART tells her! :((
Bandhu, here is the useless expert comments :). (And anyway your sister will be listening to her own mind. )
In the money bracket you have suggested, life is tough. You basically have the models that are being phased out by the manufacturers. These are Wagon R, Santro, Indica CS, Indica Xeta, Vista, Indica diesel, etc. The new ones are Maruti A star, Ritz, i 10, etc. (i have written what I could remember and I have mixed them with overlap of higher end of one and lower of other).

You have not mentioned if Rs 4 lakh is max ex-showroom or inclusive of registration and insurance. Generally these should come to Rs 30-40k.

So choice has two criterion 1. Model newness 2. Cost

Based on above and considering Hyundai is out - what we are left with is
- Indica CS - old model but best value for money + it is a sedan (fills aspirational need)
- Xeta - Good features , old model
- Ritz (3.9 lakh base model ex showroom) - Vehicle selling like hot cakes. New model. Good maruti backing
- Indica - old model , good value for money
- Vista - new model, awesome features, great value for money.

hope that helps
nikhil_p
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by nikhil_p »

VikB wrote:
nikhil_p wrote:Car should look good....and be big (she is 5.9)...so she doesnt want to go for the i-10 and stuff... I know...end of the day..whatever I suggest...she will buy what her HEART tells her! :((
Bandhu, here is the useless expert comments :). (And anyway your sister will be listening to her own mind. )
In the money bracket you have suggested, life is tough. You basically have the models that are being phased out by the manufacturers. These are Wagon R, Santro, Indica CS, Indica Xeta, Vista, Indica diesel, etc. The new ones are Maruti A star, Ritz, i 10, etc. (i have written what I could remember and I have mixed them with overlap of higher end of one and lower of other).

You have not mentioned if Rs 4 lakh is max ex-showroom or inclusive of registration and insurance. Generally these should come to Rs 30-40k.

So choice has two criterion 1. Model newness 2. Cost

Based on above and considering Hyundai is out - what we are left with is
- Indica CS - old model but best value for money + it is a sedan (fills aspirational need)
- Xeta - Good features , old model
- Ritz (3.9 lakh base model ex showroom) - Vehicle selling like hot cakes. New model. Good maruti backing
- Indica - old model , good value for money
- Vista - new model, awesome features, great value for money.

hope that helps
Thanks a million...Lets hope...Any news on the 1.4 Petrol for the Vista...I read somewhere it was gonna be called the IGNIS!
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

Its Indigo CS, not Indica CS. Moi proud owner of one only. Hajaar happy so far. Dealership went out of its way to be helpful. Jai Ho.
VikB
BRFite

Post by VikB »

Hari Seldon wrote:Its Indigo CS, not Indica CS. Moi proud owner of one only. Hajaar happy so far. Dealership went out of its way to be helpful. Jai Ho.
Boops, what a blooper.

Nikhil - No news on 1.4 l. Currently they rushing to get the Vista Sedan out at the earliest. Will update when the paanwallah next opens his mouth to spit the red betel leaf juice
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

Ford Motor Unveils First Small Car In India
NEW DELHI -(Dow Jones)- Ford Motor Co. (F) Wednesday unveiled the Figo - its first small car to be produced in India - as the U.S. automaker seeks to gain a foothold in the emerging South Asian car market and make the country a global production hub for small cars.

The four-door hatchback will be produced at Ford India's factory in the port city of Chennai, the company said.

Ford said the Figo - which is colloquial Italian for "cool" - will be sold in India and exported to international markets.

The company will announce additional details about the car closer to its commercial introduction early next year.

"Our exciting new Ford Figo shows how serious we are about India," said Alan Mulally, Ford's president and chief executive. He said the new car reflects Ford's commitment to compete in all segments of India's car market.

Ford will source up to 85% of the parts for the small car from suppliers in India, the company said.
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

More on the Figo Australia's small car export

Hindustan Motors Ambassador style creativity

"The Figo is believed to be built on the architecture of the old Fiesta, which was replaced last year. The design of the Figo bears an uncanny resemblance to that now superseded Ford Fiesta, albeit with more modern curves and touches."
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

rahulm wrote: Hindustan Motors Ambassador style creativity
"That's enuff for SDREs onlee"
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

saw a new VW Jetta here last weekend.

pricelist: http://www.volkswagen.co.in/etc/mediali ... e_list.pdf :rotfl:

this for a car which looked significantly smaller and is less powered compared to the
altis or civic.

german engineering onree - pay up you wogs !
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Singha wrote:saw a new VW Jetta here last weekend.
What are you still doing in Bengaluru ? I heard that NetZilla has ordered all it's employees to take 6 days leave or something this quarter and exhaust their leave balances.

Not traveling anywhere ?. Staying at home during the holidays?
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

this for a car which looked significantly smaller and is less powered compared to the
altis or civic.

Why is price in western Oiropean style hain? - or have TFTA wannabes in India ditched the lakhs, crore system?

Currently have a 2011 Passat @work for testing purposes - cant say I would ever pay money for it (unless I have a rich uncle). Looks fugly.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Not traveling anywhere ? Staying at home during the holidays?

> sire I am heading east tomorrow. netz has made my hair go away, but atleast
> paid off a decent bonus and shares this time to keep some troops pacified.
VikB
BRFite

Post by VikB »

Nikhil - forgot to mention the Chevy stable offerings. I have not driven one so cant comment much but their products look nice and their recent blitz about good service make it an exciting combo. do check the products there too.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

a person in my complex has the now discontinued Chevy SRV. looks like a very good form factor, style and roomy from the outside. yet its the only SRV I have seen in blr!
nikhil_p
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by nikhil_p »

Spoke to her about the Chevies...

She was like " the spark is too cutesy"...the Aveo UVa...looks very manly after that I switched off.... :)
SHQ is looking at Punto! well...fingers crossed!
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

Aveo UVA is a good car. My uncle-in-law has it, and his car-aware son vouches for that.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Jazz > Punto.
nikhil_p
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by nikhil_p »

Singha wrote:Jazz > Punto.
Jazz>more expensive :((
John Snow
BRFite

Post by John Snow »

On the topic of Nano cacthing fire.

I have personal experience in this regard. I had 1986 Toyota Tercel 4 door hactchback 1.5 ltr engine. I used this car for 9 years till 1995. It had about 125,000 miles on it. I had realized that it needed shocks, I purchased this car in Baton Rouge LA, used in Memphis TN, then moved to Ann Arbor. To give you the climatic conditions during the life time of the car.

In 1995 the cars shocks needed replacement, however I drove the car with bad shocks for about one month. One winter night the car was parked infront of the house on the road in the cul de sac. It caught fire and my neigbor called me in the night as he could see it from his bedroom. He called the 911 and firehosed it down but the car was gutted.

They thought it was a case of arson but never investigated.

My conclusion was because of the bad shocks the internal cells of the battery broke and got shorted and because of the execessive current drawn the cables caught fire (it was not fuel injected but traditional carbeurator kind) and spread it fuel hose.

The important thing is defective or bad battery can cause a fire in the hood.
Just FYI

(thanks RB I was man on fire that day having lost my first first hand car)
Last edited by John Snow on 26 Sep 2009 02:45, edited 1 time in total.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

John Snow wrote: I caught fire :shock: and my neigbor called me in the night as he could see it from his bedroom.
What was your neighbour doing peeking at you on fire from his bedroom

Just kidding! :lol:
rachel
BRFite

Post by rachel »

Aussie development of the Figo? I thought INDIA was to be not just the production base but also the research and development hub of small cars. I believe Suzuki and Hyundai are doing the R and D here for their entries, are they not?

Aussies are racists who beat up Indian students, I'm not happy with those kangaroo-catchers these days.

They should stick to selling ore and wheat, and leave technology and R and D to their superiors. Brainpower is not the Aussie strong suit, sports and brawn is their thing. What the heck is Ford doing trying to develop cars there? There must be a dozen places better for that sort of thing.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Rachel,
If some Australians are racist, it does not give you a license to be one yourself. And if you are, it is your personal business, please do not dirty our forums with your hateful posts. I am issuing a warning. There should be no tolerance for racist hateful speech.
You have been warned once before for hateful religious commentary. Next warning will come with a ban.
Amit Singh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Amit Singh »

How India beat China in auto exports

http://blogs.timesofindia.indiatimes.co ... t-china-in

This week, Ford Motors announced that India would be a global manufacturing hub for its new small car, the Figo. This underlines a remarkable new development. India has overtaken China as a car exporter this year, exporting 201,138 cars in January-July against China’s 164,800. What’s more, Indian exports in this period went up 18%, while China’s fell by 60%.

Of other big Asian exporters, Korea’s exports have fallen 31% and Thailand’s 43%. In a terrible global recession, India is the only country with zooming exports. Hyundai has long made India an export hub for small cars, and aims to export 300,000 India-made cars this year. Maruti-Suzuki comes second in exports, with Tata, Mahindra and others well behind. Nissan is about to build a new factory in India specifically for exports. India looks like exporting half a million cars in 2009-10, and should cross the million mark within five years.

What accounts for India’s success? Visionary planning? Long-term strategy? No, India’s triumph was completely unplanned. No planning document ever envisioned or planned for beating China.

Analysts say China has become a great auto exporter because of huge subsidies, an undervalued exchange rate and dirt-cheap credit. But India never aimed at an undervalued exchange rate to pile up large trade surpluses — rather, it aimed to keep the real effective exchange rate unchanged from 1993 onward. India’s interest rates were always among the highest in Asia.
It stubbornly refused to reform its inflexible labour laws, with adverse effects on productivity and wages relative to Asian competitors. No Indian strategic vision targeted special provisions or subsidies to the auto sector. Indeed, the sector for years suffered exceptionally high excise duties and sales tax.

How then did this sector become world class? In the early 1990s, auto production was freed for investment by any domestic and foreign investor.
Indian planners as well as foreign investors regarded India as a low-skilled, low-productivity country producing third-rate cars like the Ambassador and Premier. Foreign investors came only because car imports were virtually banned. The small size of the Indian car market created serious scale diseconomies.

Critics from both the Right and Left criticized the new auto policy. Leftists claimed foreigners would decimate the industry. Free-marketers complained that foreigners were being wooed to create an inefficient, high-cost industry behind high tariff walls.

Nobody foresaw what fierce competition would do. Auto companies compete by constantly producing new models with improved features like fuel efficiency. Indian consumers are very price-sensitive, so design changes to reduce costs are also vital. India’s auto parts companies had rarely been asked for innovative changes during the old licence-permit raj, when the Ambassador and Premier faced little competition. But MNCs brought in competition, and started a dialogue with auto ancillary manufacturers on constant design changes. To their surprise, they found that Indian engineers had considerable skills, and could make improvements quickly and cheaply.

Bharat Forge, which makes auto forgings like crankshafts and axles, was among the first to realize that India’s big advantage was not cheap labour but cheap skills. The company decided to have no blue collar workers at all, only engineers. This yielded a huge rise in innovation and productivity, and soon made Bharat Forge the second biggest auto forging company in the world.

For new auto components, global giants like Delphi and Visteon typically took three months to go from concept to design, prototype, testing, removal of glitches, and final manufacture. But Bharat Forge found it could do the entire sequence in just one month.

Soon, every auto company and parts maker in India focused on using cheap skills to constantly produce better and cheaper parts and vehicles. Bajaj Auto once relied on know-how from Kawasaki for motor-cycles, but soon found that its own R&D produced far better bikes for Indian conditions. Maruti Suzuki made India a global hub for R&D. And Tata Motors created the Nano, the world’s cheapest car, making the world sit up.

The ultimate compliment to India’s design skills came from Carlos Ghosn of Renault-Nissan. He decided to build an ultra-cheap car (that might compete with Tata’s Nano) in collaboration with Bajaj Auto. In such partnerships, the global partner usually does the R&D and the Indian partner the low-cost production. But Ghosn decided the new car should be designed by Bajaj Auto, which had never produced a car before. Why? Because Ghosn felt it was easier to upgrade from a two-wheeler than downgrade from a standard sedan to produce an ultra-cheap car.

This then is the secret of India’s success. Don’t waste time with strategic planning and picking winners. Simply let competition happen. You will be surprised how the most unlikely sectors can become world class. That’s how India has just beaten China.
This is a classic case of history repeating itself again. 8) State induced investment and planning vs free market based approach. And this time, I'm glad India is on the "correct" path. :D
Amit Singh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Amit Singh »

http://money.cnn.com/2009/09/23/autos/f ... /index.htm
Ford unveils the Figo, new small car for India
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Ford Motor Company unveiled a new small car at a press conference in Delhi, India on Wednesday. The subcompact, which is called the Figo, will be produced in India for the Indian market, as well as for export to other Asian countries and Africa.

The Figo's launch "signals Ford's intention to compete in India's largest and most important small-car market segment," the Dearborn, Mich.-based automaker said in an announcement.

A little over 1 million passenger cars are sold in India each year, according to Ford spokesman Mark Schirmer. The automaker expects India to become the third largest market for small cars, behind the U.S. and China, by 2030.

India-based Tata Motors and Japan's Suzuki Motors are currently among the country's biggest-selling carmakers.

Ford (F, Fortune 500) has invested $500 million in its factory near Chennai, India, to prepare it for high-volume production of the Figo, the automaker said, doubling the plant's capacity to 200,000 units per year.

The Figo was designed and engineered in India, Ford said, but it's based on the existing small-car engineering platform that's already used for the Ford Fiesta.

Ford currently sells a version of the Fiesta in India, as well as three of its other car models. While all of these Ford models would be considered small cars in the U.S., they're each bigger than the Figo, which is about the size of a Honda Fit.

According to Ford, small cars like these makes up about 70% of the Indian car market. "[That's] where the meat of the Indian market is," Ford spokesman Mark Schirmer said of the Figo.

No additional details about the car -- such as what size engine it will use, its fuel economy or its price -- were revealed.

"We're confident that the new Ford Figo will be extremely attractive to Indian car buyers," said Michael Boneham, president and managing director, Ford India. "It's going to be very competitive with the current market leaders and offer a tremendous value story for our consumers. We believe Ford Figo is a big game-changer for Ford that will help transform our brand into a volume player in India."

The car represents a major shift in Ford's India strategy, the automaker said in its announcement. India will now become Ford's "regional center of excellence" for small car engineering and production.
Amit Singh
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Amit Singh »

Raja Bose wrote:

altis or civic.

Why is price in western Oiropean style hain? - or have TFTA wannabes in India ditched the lakhs, crore system?

Currently have a 2011 Passat @work for testing purposes - cant say I would ever pay money for it (unless I have a rich uncle). Looks fugly.
In Unkil-land, Jettas have a 90% probability of having a chick behind the wheel, a close second to the Beetle, another chick car. :twisted:
rachel
BRFite

Post by rachel »

Archan

Nothing racist about that I said. Aussies are not very good at technology and science, am I racist for sayiog that? Name one Aussie invention or Nobel Prize winner.

It is not racist for saying the truth.
rachel
BRFite

Post by rachel »

this post reminds me of the swear toad creatures in the artemis fowl series !
those would have been proud of this composition.
Last edited by Rahul M on 27 Sep 2009 08:50, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: warned and banned for repeated profanity and racist comments.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Cool, ok you are not a racist. I did not like your post, so I warned you. Theek? :roll:
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Jai ho! lagta hai ek aur shaheed. :cry:
What do I do with this defender of Hindus...!
Go ****** yourself
This is not the first time a member has told me to do so, however, I am not quite sure how to go about it? :cry:
Anyone help?
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

rachel wrote:Archan

Nothing racist about that I said. Aussies are not very good at technology and science, am I racist for sayiog that? Name one Aussie invention or Nobel Prize winner.

It is not racist for saying the truth.
William and Lawrence Bragg for Physics and Florey for medicine. Black box flight recorder, electronic pacemaker and Google Maps for inventions.

By that same logic, India didn't develop squat between 16th and early 20th centuries. Doesn't mean Indians are idiots.
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

Name one Aussie invention or Nobel Prize winner.
Bush wacking and its no joke. A friend of mine got badly beaten up by thugs over there.

Anyway I don't want to hijack this thread. I got to say that the Nano really did Indians around the world proud. Its going to be launched in Europe soon so if you live there and you are planning a car purchase, give it some consideration.

I've heard Tata will launch it in North America in 2013.

Now watch how all kinds of middle men tack on thousands of dollars in fees, commissions and other useless stuff and make an affordable car unaffordable. Tata should consider selling it off a website rather than a showroom to eliminate middle men and pass on the savings.