Terrorist Islamic Republic of Pakistan - September 15, 2009

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Lilo
BRF Oldie

Re: Terrorist Islamic Republic of Pakistan - September 15, 2009

Post by Lilo »

Came across this in Yawn 'Science and Tech' :roll: section
Which countries are Pakistan’s enemies?

SAN DIEGO: Answers.com on Wednesday debuted a website that merges the power of crowds with knowledge from encyclopaedias to sate the curiosity of inquiring minds, AFP reported.

The online question-and-answer service blends wikipedia style edits from users with information gleaned from respected reference works, according to a spokesman for Answers.com.

‘We are marrying the power of a community with the integrity of a library,’ the spokesman said during a demonstration of the website at an emerging technology conference in California. ‘We are integrating a wiki-based community with hundreds of reference sources.’

Questions on the Answers.com home page on Wednesday ranged from how to make a car fly in the videogame ‘Grand Theft Auto’ to which countries are enemies with Pakistan and what shape has two pairs of parallel sides and no square corners?

‘Wikipedia is for specific facts like what swine flu is or details about Paris,’ the spokesman said. ‘We are for more personal questions like how to avoid getting swine flu or whether you should go to Paris for vacation.’

Examples given by Rosenschein included Answers.com informing users that the phrase ‘wave a dead chicken’ refers to the way programmers typically wave their hands at monitors after computer crashes.

‘As more people come to our pages with questions, it builds on itself and becomes a more valuable resource,’ Rosenschein said. ‘It’s a virtuous cycle.’

Answers.com has launched versions of the website in French, Spanish, German, and Italian.

‘We are very excited about finally getting to the European languages,’ the spokesman said.
http://tinyurl.com/ycobjgd

Basically its about the site Answers.com and an innocuous 'test question' about Pakistan used in its launch.
and Yawn the supposedly 'liberal' paper of Pakland latches to it ultimately suggesting its readers the first question to enter when they try the site.

"Which countries are Pakistan’s enemies?"

Now no chuski if anyone guesses the reply in Answers.com :lol:
I only hope that our liberal media like Hindu et al stop considering Yawn to be one of its ilk and stop resonating with its views.
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

Here we go.
India should initiate talks to resolve Kashmir issue: Qureshi
New York, Sep 26 (PTI) Ahead of the meeting with his Indian counterpart, Pakistan Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi Saturday said New Delhi should engage itself in talks to resolve the Kashmir issue.

"We hope New Delhi will realise the ground reality and world trends which essentially include negotiations and talks on resolving outstanding issues," he said.

Qureshi was addressing a press conference after his meeting with All Parties Hurriyat Conference Chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq.
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

Then a threat is thrown in to the equation for good measure.
India to bear consequences of holding back information: Malik
LAHORE: Interior Minister Rehman Malik on Friday said that India would be responsible for the consequences if it did not share information regarding any future terrorists acts being planned{as if it is India who is planning and executing terror attacks}, a private TV channel reported. Talking to the channel from New York, Malik said Pakistan had evidences with regard to the Indian involvement in promoting terrorism in Pakistan. “It is true that the terrorists arrested from Swat and the Tribal Areas have confirmed Indian involvement in terrorist activities in Pakistan,” he said. The interior minister said Pakistan had offered unconditional support to India after the Mumbai attacks, but India had not replied in kind. He also held India responsible for the delay in the investigation into the Mumbai attacks.
Now lets see India's response.
India's External Affairs Minister S M Krishna had said terrorism would be the single most important issue for discussion in the meeting.
:roll:
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Vivek_A wrote:Admins: I think you should cut me some slack..Seeing as how this is TFT with no public links and seeing as how I'm the one who ******.
Sorry about that. I wasn't sure the article is not from a freely available source and a link cannot be posted. Usually people mention "TFT is out" so we know the article is from TFT. It is usual practice to post 2-3 articles from TFT.
Dilbu ko maaro, he was the one who instigated me. :evil:
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Dilbu wrote:Then a threat is thrown in to the equation for good measure.
India to bear consequences of holding back information: Malik
LAHORE: Interior Minister Rehman Malik on Friday said that India would be responsible for the consequences if it did not share information regarding any future terrorists acts being planned{as if it is India who is planning and executing terror attacks}, a private TV channel reported.
That's truly hilarious. I have seen this quality among some people, especially Arabs. (Somehow, I always felt that Rehman Malik was of an Arab descent.) They don't have an iota of inkling that they are jokers and they make serious statements while others have their ribs tickled.
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

Dilbu ko maaro, he was the one who instigated me.
What? I am a pious, adminullah fearing forum-wasi onree. :mrgreen: I was commenting on Nayakuddin getting 72 for copying TFT articles.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Dilbu wrote:
Dilbu ko maaro, he was the one who instigated me.
What? I am a pious, adminullah fearing forum-wasi onree. :mrgreen: I was commenting on Nayakuddin getting 72 for copying TFT articles.
You post 21 consecutive full length articles about any and everything and see what happens. :twisted:
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Dilbu wrote: I was commenting on Nayakuddin getting 72 for copying TFT articles.
Not so.

He was warned for this copyright violation (reproducing every article of a subscription only publication). This was after several informal requests, all ignored, that he cease doing this. Unfortunately he had three previous warnings for other infractions and had just returned after a 1 month ban. He thus was banned for 3 months.
He then immediately proceeded to register using another username (that of a ***** actor) and was banned permanently.
Atish
BRFite

Post by Atish »

Have asked for help on access to TFT multiple times, somehow all suggestions provided to me didnt work. Can somebosy pls help with a simple soution at atishbazi at gmail

Cheers and Thanks in Advance.
Atish.
Vivek_A
BRFite

Post by Vivek_A »

Editorial in the nutty nation. i.e. shrill's latest screed.

Dangerous forebodings
Published: September 27, 2009

The text of the US aid bill, passed by the Senate and now introduced in the House, belies the impression
created by earlier media reports that its revised version does not contain conditions, which would by any
interpretation be considered damaging to the sovereignty of Pakistan and pregnant with dangerous
forebodings. The bill is far too intrusive for comfort and requires that Pakistan provide “direct access to
Pakistani nationals associated with…(nuclear proliferation) network”, a reference to Dr A. Q. Khan. Besides,
Islamabad has to give a detailed account of its efforts to prevent proliferation. These have been long-standing
US demands constantly harped on by the Western media and thinktanks, which Pakistan has rightly and
steadfastly refused to comply.
To abide by them, it might have to lay bare its nuclear weapons system before US
investigators, concede one point after the other and compromise the entire programme.
The American campaign launched against the ISI since it developed differences with the CIA two years ago
finds expression in the proviso that for Pakistan to qualify for the aid, the US Secretary of State has to certify that
“any elements within the Pakistan military or its intelligence agency” have ceased support to terrorist groups,
particularly those active against the US and NATO forces in Afghanistan. This should be none of the business of
the US or for that matter any other foreign power. The bill also goes out of the way to please India when it
conditions the aid on preventing Lashkar-e-Taiba and Jaish-e-Mohammad operating from Pakistan and
indulging in crossborder attacks. There is also mention of the requirement of dismantling bases of Al-Qaeda,
Taliban and other terrorist groups in places like FATA, Quetta and Muridke when provided with intelligence.
In the backdrop of these crippling conditions one wonders what justification Ambassador Haqqani had in
affirming that the aid sent a message to the people of Pakistan that the US was with them. Interestingly, its
amount ($7.5 billion spread over a period of five years) looks peanuts when compared in terms of dollar value
today with what Pakistan received ($3.5 billion) during the operation against the Soviets in Afghanistan. Yet the
costs and sacrifices for Pakistan are far graver and weightier today.
Vivek_A
BRFite

Post by Vivek_A »

Hookers on sexual morality

http://www.thenews.com.pk/updates.asp?id=87683

Nawaz Sharif a ‘closet Taliban’: Musharraf
Updated at: 2045 PST, Saturday, September 26, 2009
LAHORE: Continuing his animosity with the Pakistan Muslim League -Nawaz (PML-N) chief Nawaz Sharif, former President General Pervez Musharraf has described the former Prime Minister as a ‘closet Taliban’.

In an interview to a foreign news channel, Musharraf called Sharif ‘abrasive’ and ‘confrontational’.

“He (Sharif) has never been on good terms with any president of Pakistan,” Musharraf said.

Musharraf said Sharif maintained a close link with extremist groups, as the latter has never said anything against terrorism.

It is worth mentioning here that Sharif has been pushing hard for Musharraf’s prosecution under the Article Six of the Constitution.

Sharif, time and again, has accused the former military general of abrogating Pakistan’s Constitution by imposing emergency in the state in November 2007.

Sharif also maintains that Musharraf had taken an ‘illegal’ and ‘extrajudicial’ step by removing the judges of higher judiciary following declaring an emergency in the country.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

Big IED Mubarak. It was reported in the last page --- seems to be bigger than initially reported.
Suicide bombs kill 16, wound about 150 in Pakistan

Two suicide attacks killed 16 people and wounded more than 150 in northwest Pakistan on Saturday, showing Taliban militants are still able to strike despite heightened military operations and the slaying of their leader last month.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Anujan wrote:Big IED Mubarak. It was reported in the last page --- seems to be bigger than initially reported.

Two suicide attacks killed 16 people and wounded more than 150 in northwest Pakistan on Saturday, showing Taliban militants are still able to strike despite heightened military operations and the slaying of their leader last month.
Glad to know soocide bombers in Pakistan are getting better by the day . This IED mubarak must be considered good for passing mark to qualify for the benefits of 72s. Next one has a job to double the numbers. :wink:
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

http://thenews.jang.com.pk/daily_detail.asp?id=200308

No books, please ( its all in the Book)
Masood Hasana
Pakislamic Phenomenon
I frequently ask aspiring youngsters, both males and females, from some of the best universities and colleges and prosperous backgrounds, the name of the last book they have read and invariably have been treated to a show as they have looked heavenward, scratched their heads and wrung their hands but the name of the book has simply eluded them. Amazing. The conversation having by then degraded to lower levels, the next probes are names of authors they can recall, (Keat is one, Shakis – Pir another :shock: ) but mostly it is, ‘sorry I can’t remember.’ Any book they read some time back that they liked? And here too most often, there is a large blank and a shake of the head. Of course no one reads newspapers and invariably no newspapers ever come into their homes.
Indic Nature
In parks and other public places I have yet to see anyone sitting on a bench reading a book or leafing through a magazine. It is almost as if there is an embargo on this activity. Unlike say Bombay where I was amazed to see almost all the rickshaw and taxi drivers reading newspapers while waiting for customers, I have never had the pleasure of taking a cab where the driver was actually reading something before taking me on board. This may well explain that should a book sell a thousand copies
Hukumrans
Ziaul Haq was proud to claim that he was lulled into sleep night after night by the most majestic of all books – the Reader’s Digest. What inspiration this right-wing garbage offered him can be well understood from the kind of thinking the great man demonstrated. The commando was no better and had to lean heavily on external talent to patch together an eminently forgettable autobiography which sold copies only because the government dropped everything it was doing and to a man, went about selling the book here and abroad. Even with the kind of official patronage it got, the cover price fell like a stone weeks after its great and ceremonial launch. Slime ball Shaukat Aziz was never caught with a book so he is innocent on that count.
pgbhat
BRF Oldie

Post by pgbhat »

Britain’s visa shame ---- George Fulton :((
Kiran, my wife of four years, didn’t visit my family over the August bank holiday. She also missed my best friend’s wedding the following weekend. Her lack of appearance wasn’t due to any social animosity. She hadn’t once dated the groom. Nor was her refusal to meet my family caused by apprehension over bank holiday traffic. She didn’t attend these events because she couldn’t. My wife is Pakistani.
Kiran applied for a UK visa on July 13 having returned from a trip to Thailand. It has now been more than two months that the UK government has had my wife’s passport. There is still no passport or visa in sight. She missed the bank holiday and the wedding. While undoubtedly frustrating, it was only a holiday. We’ll get over it. But Kiran isn’t the only one.
But it isn’t the undue delays that irk Pakistanis. Nor the arrogance of holding onto someone’s passport for more than three months and the fact that is virtually impossible to retrieve it once submitted. Not even the fact that the extortionate visa fee (more than £220 for a two-year multiple entry tourist visa) is non-refundable. What is most galling for Pakistanis is the complete failure of UKBA to respond to queries. It is impossible to speak to anyone with any authority. If you call up the British embassy in Abu Dhabi and you mention you have applied for a visa they promptly hang up on you. Nice. If you call their visa hotline the number no longer exists. If you email either Abu Dhabi embassy or Islamabad, you receive generic 'Dear Sir/Madam' emails. The only people you can speak to are the courier service that submits the visa application on your behalf. But UKBA is hiding behind the courier service, which in turn is having to deal, unfairly, with the public anger.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Isalamabad regrets Man Mohan Singh's 'Terror-as-Pak-state-policy' statement
Pakistan on Saturday expressed regret over Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's comments asking Islamabad to give up the use of terrorism as a "state policy".

Foreign Office spokesman Abdul Basit said Singh's statement had no link with realty {sic} and was "very regrettable".

World leaders had lauded Pakistan's efforts against terrorism {Hey, don't take whatever they say in such fora at face value. It is what they say outside such fora that matters. Most world leaders had used 'international migraine', 'epicentre', 'breeding ground', 'safe haven', 'mortal threat', 'headquarters' and similar disparaging epithets while referring to Pakistan} in the recent meeting of the Friends of Democratic Pakistan forum though India is unfortunately unable to realise this, he said.

"Pakistan has a transparent agenda for the meeting of the Foreign Secretaries of the two countries. It wants to hold dialogue with a positive attitude, otherwise some other powers take the benefit of the resulting political vacuum," said Basit.

Pakistan's judiciary will decide on the action to be taken against those involved in the Mumbai attacks and investigations are underway in the light of evidence provided by the Indian government {Evidence by India ? What evidence ? Hasn't Rehman Malik rubbished all of them ?}, he said.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Debate starts in TSP on 'humiliating' conditions in the Kerry-Lugar bill
Pakistani officials, including ISPR spokesman Major General Athar Abbas and Ambassador Husain Haqqani, were tight-lipped and diplomatic when The News approached them with the crucial questions whether the conditions listed in the Kerry-Lugar Bill had been discussed, accepted or met by the Pakistani institutions as they looked almost impossible to deliver.

General Athar Abbas told Muhammad Ahmed Noorani of The News in Islamabad that the Army was going to send its views about these conditions to the Foreign Ministry and they would respond to these questions. While this response of the ISPR was “politically correct” it did carry a discreet impression that the Army may not have been taken on board until now. If these conditions were known to the GHQ, they would have already sent their response to the relevant civilian quarters and Gen Abbas would not have to say that they will do so now.

When Ambassador Husain Haqqani was asked the same question by me whether these conditions had been discussed with the concerned Pakistani quarters, his response was that the foreign minister, the foreign secretary and the FO spokesman are in New York and I should direct these questions to them. He would not take any question about his role or the role of the costly lobbyist in Washington because this apparently may be his ultimate failure.

Thus a deliberate stonewalling attempt is being made about who should be held responsible for agreeing to these conditions because although the language of these conditions is different in essence the US demands are the same — give us AQ Khan, don’t finger India, forget Kashmir, close the terror shops of Lashkar-e-Taiba and Jaish-e-Muhammed and cooperate in the war on terror on our terms.

The more direct language against military intervention in political and judicial processes has apparently been added by the US legislators on the insistence of those Pakistanis who feel that the GHQ in Pindi is still creating hurdles in allowing the PPP to run its government as it likes, specially after the March 15 intervention to restore the judges, something which was taken as a direct affront to President Zardari who had over-committed himself not to restore the chief justice.

The new media strategy of the Pakistani side not to talk about these sensitive issues separately, but to let the Foreign Office speak about them may be a clever move but it will not answer the million questions and doubts being raised.

For instance Foreign Office Spokesman Abdul Basit, who is in New York, when asked by me whether the Army and other institutions were on board, gave a fairly calculated and guarded response: “Basically this is not our decision and the Americans have drafted it but the Pakistan government has been in close touch with them. Acceptance of these conditions is not an issue as we have tried to convince them that such conditions do not work.”

Asked whether the Pakistan Army and intelligence agencies can deliver what the US side is asking for in terms of supporting extremists elements and groups, Basit said it was Pakistan’s policy not to support these groups, so we have nothing to worry about. :lol: {But, seriously, he is displaying Pakistan's double-face, that of the outward response of the government of Pakistan and the reality of the PA-ISI support to terrorist groups}

Basit is sure that the certifications required are not inconsistent with or in conflict with the Pakistani policies. “We have no problem as these elements are part and parcel of our policies but if there are any perceptions or misperceptions on the US side, we will try to remove them,” he said.

Asked about the clause which talks of ensuring that the security forces of Pakistan are not materially and substantially subverting the political or judicial processes of Pakistan, Basit tried to laugh it off, saying: “You know better than me what it means.”

This lack of openness is likely to create more problems but some former senior diplomats in Washington and New York think these conditions will be a non-starter and actual flows of US aid will stay very low although the huge infrastructure to manage this aid will be created in Islamabad and which may then be used for any other purpose.

But President Zardari and his aides are confident that they have conquered Washington and will return to Pakistan triumphant in the glory of becoming the darling of the West. “This is the misguided vision of a few bloated visionaries in the president’s camp and they will soon find out the heat of these unacceptable conditions when they return to Pakistan,” a disgruntled member of the Pakistani delegation said in confidence.
If we look at the above report, several things are obvious:
  1. The PA & ISI are supporting terrorists
  2. The PA & ISI will not cut their links with them
  3. Demands to close LeT & JeM terror outfits are unreasonable
  4. The Army will determine the politics, even take over governance and nobody can do anything about that, least the politicians and they de facto accept it
  5. Pakistan government is confident that they can subvert the tough-appearing Kerry-Lugar conditions (a la Pressler Amendments, perhaps)
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

One more give us Kashmir or else threat. This from the 'liberal' TSP media.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Threats are all they can give. Every once in a while they may send a few well trained men to kill some innocent civilians and think they are doing a pious deed and India will be deterred . Heh..
Common Indian ciitizen isn't even deterred a bit. This is what bothers the hell out of the paki commentators.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

The Taliban * the Salarzai Tribe - and the ISI

Thoroughly, thoroughly the Pakistani Army and its nexus with Taliban within Pakistan and across the Durand Line.
Tens of Salarzail lashkar leaders have been target-killed. The Salarzai leaders informed me they hold the ISI responsible for the targeted killings. “The Taliban are just a façade. The real force is the ISI punishing us for our anti-Taliban struggle,” said one of the leaders.

The leaders said that Mamond Taliban headquarters used to be in Damadola, which is a few kilometres from the FC fort in Bajaur. The Mamond Taliban used to bomb Salarzai villages. The Salarzai tribal elders requested the Political Agent, the authorities of the FC and the Pakistani army to stop the Mamond Taliban. None of these offered any help. Finally the Salarzai lashkar took positions on the mountains and for two hours heavily bombarded the surrounding villages of the Mamond Taliban. At that point the political agent and a colonel of the army asked the Salarzai lashkar to stop the bombing. They gave the same old logic: who will fight the NATO forces from across the Afghan border if you eliminate the Taliban?

Following such encounters with the state authorities, the Salarzais decided to fire at any forces entering their area: be it the Taliban, Al Qaida, the army or the US or NATO. The Salarzais have taken up positions all over the area and are always on guard. The tribesmen take turns to defend those positions. Unlike the bombed out schools in the Taliban-controlled areas, all schools in the Salarzai region are functioning. The tribesmen are performing security duties in both girls’ and boys’ schools in the area.

The leaders informed me that there is a set pattern of target-killing of anti-Taliban Salarzai leader. Before each targeted killing all telephone links with the far-flung Salarzai area are cut off. The targeted killing takes place in 24 to 48 hours later. The telephone links are restored a couple of days after the assassinated leader has been buried. A day or so later a news item of a few lines appears in the newspapers about the killing. “No one in Pakistan seems to be bothered about the state-sponsored targeted killing of anti-Taliban Salarzai leaders. Our area is too far from the rest of Pakistan and our agony means nothing to fellow-Pakistanis. The Pakistani media never ever tries to probe into the targeted killings,” said one of the Salarzai leaders.

All telephone lines to the Salarzia area were dead the day I was meeting with the leaders. They said they were deeply worried whose turn it might be to be targeted for killing. Two days later the telephone links were restored. The same day they informed me on telephone that Malik Munasib Khan, the spokesman of the Salarzai lashkar, had been killed. They held the ISI responsible for his killing.

The Salarzai leaders also informed me that last year the army deliberately fired at those villages in Bajaur that were known to be staunchly anti-Taliban. They said one of their colleagues called Maj Gen Alam Khattak to ask him to stop the bombing of his village. “Major General Sahib! I will start a vendetta with you if you did not halt the bombing of my village immediately. I will make sure to kill you and your family at the first available opportunity,” they quoted one of their colleagues as saying. {That is the kind of targetted killing that must be done to eliminate PA nexus} The major general asked him to meet Col Sajjad who was bombing the anti-Taliban villages from his base in Timergara. That colleague saw a big Bajaur map affixed on the wall in the office of Col Sajjad. The map had several encircled villages. Col Sajjad informed him that the map had been handed over to him by his commanders with the order to bomb all the encircled villages. “Our colleague’s blood boiled with anger: none of the villages had Taliban in them,” said the Salarzai leaders. The villages included Butmali, Danqul, Attkay, Matasha, Baro, Raghjan and Nazkai.

On the other hand, those Salarzai villages that had Taliban were not marked on the map or bombed by the army. Such villages are Pashat, Banda, Malasyed, Darra and Gundai. Now the Salarzai lashkar has cleared these villages from Taliban control, without any state support.

The leaders also made the accusation that the Salarzais are discriminated against by the state in allocation of developmental funds due to their hostility to the Taliban. The FATA Rural Development Project (FRDP) is working in Bajaur Agency but entire Salarzai area of the agency has been deliberately excluded by from the project. “A wilful under-development has been imposed on us as punishment for our anti-Taliban stance. The Salazai area would be included in FRDP if we allowed the Taliban to take control of our area. Without this, we Salarzais can beg as much as we can for development, but the state will never budge,” said the Salarzai tribal leaders.

The reason I write this piece is not to defame the institution of the Pakistani army, which I hold in high esteem. I just wish to request the President of Pakistan, the Chief of Army Staff and the DG of the ISI to pay attention to the complaints of the Salarzais and resolve their problems to the satisfaction of the tribe. The Salarzai leaders categorically told me they are loyal Pakistanis, but they are not ready to let the peace of their area be destroyed for the power games of the intelligence agencies. All they want from the state is peaceful and development.

I would request fellow-Pakistanis all over the country to support the Salarzais. I wonder why the civil society of Pakistan is so silent over the heroic anti-Taliban struggle of the Salarzais. {Because, the civil society is not against the Taliban} Salarzais are the natural allies of all those who are against the Taliban and civil society should forcefully support them. I would request the Pakistani media to keep a close watch on the Salarzai area to discourage targeted killings there.

The Taliban are anti-civilisation. The Salarzais are the embodiment of civilisation because they are so oppose to the Taliban. I would request all civilised people in the world to morally support the Salarzais in the name of human civilisation.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Making Sense of Pakistan

Excerpts from a book review
Making Sense of Pakistan
By Farzana Shaikh
Hurst and Company, London
ISBN 978-1-85065-965-5

For Shaikh, Pakistan’s tortured existence is the result of the country’s ‘problematic and contested’ relationship with Islam and the nation’s inability to agree on the role of religion in the state’s ethos which has frustrated attempts to forge a national identity.

This lack of consensus, in particular the lack of ability to embrace a pluralistic identity encompassing the many facets of religion practiced in the subcontinent, has, in her view, resulted in chronic socio-political instability. A diverse society has not held together precisely because its diversity has not been accepted as a strength.

Nevertheless, Shaikh is not optimistic about the possibility of breaking a vicious cycle of authoritarian rule, which, she says, has exploited the uncertainty over the country’s national identity to consolidate the military’s grip on power, and by extension, control of resources.

She also points out that the international community remains fearful of political reform in Pakistan and is loath to see upheaval in such a pivotal state. However, she asserts that an ‘unreformed’ Pakistan could eventually pose a greater threat to world peace than the alternative.

Jinnah’s volte-face post 1935, when the demand for constitutional safeguards for a Muslim minority grew into a ‘non-negotiable right to parity with the majority Hindu nation’ was, according to Shaikh, occasioned by his belief that Muslims would not be able to gain political power unless they styled themselves as a separate nation.

This concept of nationhood did not take into account the ethnic and linguistic as well as sectarian divisions of Indian Muslims — a fact that Jinnah recognised and sought to overcome by employing the rhetoric of Islamic universalism to secure the Pakistani nation’s allegiance to a higher power.

For Shaikh, doubts about the value of pluralism, which were embedded in the Pakistan movement, have led to uncertainty about Pakistan’s national identity, and in turn to the increased role of religious parties in politics.

In the latter half of the book, she discusses the regional implications of Pakistan’s struggles with forging an identity. She unpacks the military’s use of a state ideology based on religious identity and concludes that it has been used to legitimise the military’s role in politics, in the absence of any other sources of political legitimacy.

This militarisation of the state ethos has, in turn, driven Pakistan’s foreign policy, often with disastrous consequences. Shaikh’s analysis is interesting and provocative, and will find many takers in the international academic community. Her single-minded focus on the role of religion in the public sphere as a determinant of Pakistan’s ongoing conflicts does not, however, plug all the holes.

Her contention that the ongoing arms race in the subcontinent stems from Pakistan’s ‘identity crisis’ and its implicit need to be seen to be at par with India seems like an oversimplification.{The reviewer is wrong patently}

It dismisses what may be legitimate concerns on part of a small country that has been at war with a powerful neighbour three times in its short history.

She sees Pakistan’s regional policy, particularly its manipulation of events in Afghanistan, as evidence of the country’s desire to compete with India for regional domination — an observation that is likely to be disputed by even the most ardent supporters of Pakistan’s military.
I think the author has done a fine job and has really gone to the core of the 'Pakistani' issue. Of course, nothing new for BRFites, nevertheless a reinforcement to and validation of normally held beliefs about Pakistan.
hulaku
BRFite

Post by hulaku »

US threatens airstrikes in Pakistan
The United States is threatening to launch airstrikes on Mullah Omar and the Taliban leadership in the Pakistani city of Quetta as frustration mounts about the ease with which they find sanctuary across the border from Afghanistan.

The threat comes amid growing divisions in Washington about whether to deal with the deteriorating situation in Afghanistan by sending more troops or by reducing them and targeting the terrorists.

This weekend the US military was expected to send a request to Robert Gates, the defence secretary, for more troops, as urged by General Stanley McChrystal, the US commander there.

In a leaked strategic assessment of the war, McChrystal warned that he needed extra reinforcements within a year to avert the risk of failure. Although no figure was given, he is believed to be seeking up to 40,000 troops to add to the 68,000 who will be in Afghanistan by the end of this year.

However, with President Barack Obama under pressure from fellow Democrats not to intensify the war, the administration has let it be known that it is rethinking strategy. Vice-President Joe Biden has suggested reducing the number of troops in Afghanistan and focusing on the Taliban and AlQaeda in Pakistan.

Last week McChrystal denied any rift with the administration, saying “a policy debate is warranted”.

According to The New York Times, he flew from Kabul to Ramstein airbase in Germany on Friday for a secret meeting with Admiral Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, to discuss the request for more troops.

So sensitive is the subject that when Obama addressed the United Nations summit in New York, he barely mentioned Afghanistan. The unspoken problem is that if the priority is to destroy Al-Qaeda and reduce the global terrorist threat, western troops might be fighting on the wrong side of the border.

The Biden camp argues that attacks by unmanned drones on Pakistan’s tribal areas, where Al-Qaeda’s leaders are hiding, have been successful. Sending more troops to Afghanistan has only inflamed tensions. “Pakistan is the nuclear elephant in the room,” said a western diplomat.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 850838.ece
Raj Malhotra
BRFite

Post by Raj Malhotra »

Prem wrote:Big IED Mubarak. It was reported in the last page --- seems to be bigger than initially reported.

Glad to know soocide bombers in Pakistan are getting better by the day . This IED mubarak must be considered good for passing mark to qualify for the benefits of 72s. Next one has a job to double the numbers. :wink:
I have serious doubts about the yields of bombs used by Pak suicide brave freedom fighters. It is duty of UN to provide them with better explosives.
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

^^
My question is why cant they test a jdam at home? Enough plausible deniability all around. Or just blame it on pindi channa or YYY as usual.
rajpa
BRFite

Post by rajpa »

^^^
that scenario's there in that story/wargaming thread circa 2005... :mrgreen:
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

Hundreds join Swat’s anti-militant lashkar
MINGORA: Hundreds of armed volunteers joined a lashkar under the command of veteran politician and former federal minister Mohammad Afzal Khan Lala in Matta tehsil of Swat on Saturday.

District Nazim Jamal Nasir also raised lashkar against militants and started patrolling in their respective areas. Witnesses said that hundreds of people brandishing heavy weapons assembled in Matta chanting slogans: Pakistan Zinda Bad and long live Swatis, resolving to fight against terrorists.

Supporters of Afzal Khan Lala, also a leader of the ruling Awami National Party, assembled at the Frontier Constabulary’s base camp in Dreshkhella where hundreds of people registered themselves as volunteers.
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

Pakistan on alert as blast toll hits 24: police
PESHAWAR, Pakistan — Pakistan's security forces Sunday braced for more attacks by Taliban fighters avenging military action against them, as the death toll from twin suicide blasts rose to 24, police said.

The two vehicle bombings struck the northwest on Saturday, the first on the outskirts of Bannu town, close to the rugged tribal region of North Waziristan, where Washington says Al-Qaeda and the Taliban rebels are holed up.

Hours later in the northwest city Peshawar, a car bomb ripped through a crowded area near banks, shops and a wedding hall on a road leading to the army cantonment, killing 10 people at the scene.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Cross posted from the BENIS dhaga.
Safe sex education in Karachi raises a storm

Now, here is a picture from the book on Islam written by an angrez which has the photo of SAW Prophet Muhammad riding a horse and leading his army. On close examination I think that the face of the Prophet is covered.

Now isn't it against the tenets of Islam to not just cover the face of the prophet, but also to not show the person of the prophet? The fact that this should be happening in the center of islam, Pakistan is astounding to say the least.
Image Image
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

Krishna, Qureshi meet at dinner on eve of talks
New York, Sep 27 (PTI) On the eve of their crucial talks, External Affairs Minister S M Krishna had a friendly chit-chat with his Pakistani counterpart Shah Mahmood Qureshi on the sidelines of an informal working dinner of SAARC Foreign Ministers here.
:roll:
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

Pak doesn't want 'half baked' case against Saeed: Qureshi
NEW YORK: Pakistan does not want to take to court a "half-baked" case against JuD chief Hafiz Mohd Saeed, blamed by India for masterminding Mumbai attacks, and needs "legally tenable" evidence against him, foreign minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi said today hours ahead of crucial talks with his Indian counterpart S M Krishna.

"We will certainly not hesitate for taking action (against Saeed), but we got to have a case which is legally tenable because if we take a case into court which is a half-baked case and if the court sets him free, you'll say 'collusion', 'drama'. No we are not in a mood to collude with terrorists," Qureshi told a news channel.

He was responding to a question about Pakistan not taking action against Saeed, also founder of the LeT, despite being provided with evidence by India against him.
How about a fully baked saeed instead?
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

I agree, the courts will not accept a half baked saeed. India must make full toast out of him at the earliest so that the kabargaah will accept him.
AnimeshP
BRFite

Post by AnimeshP »

US threatens airstrikes in Pakistan
Senior Pakistani officials in New York revealed that the US had asked to extend the drone attacks into Quetta and the province of Baluchistan.

“It wasn’t so much a threat as an understanding that if you don’t do anything, we’ll take matters into our own hands,” said one.
AnimeshP
BRFite

Post by AnimeshP »

The Taliban and Salarzais
The area of the Salarzai tribe is on the border with Afghanistan. The tribe have collectively decided that there won’t be any Taliban on their soil. The Taliban have been driven out of the Salarzai area. The Salarzai lashkar, mostly made up of labourers and peasants, has successfully kept the Salazai area free of the Taliban.

Tens of Salarzail lashkar leaders have been target-killed. The Salarzai leaders informed me they hold the ISI responsible for the targeted killings. “The Taliban are just a façade. The real force is the ISI punishing us for our anti-Taliban struggle,” said one of the leaders.
Finally the Salarzai lashkar took positions on the mountains and for two hours heavily bombarded the surrounding villages of the Mamond Taliban. At that point the political agent and a colonel of the army asked the Salarzai lashkar to stop the bombing. They gave the same old logic: who will fight the NATO forces from across the Afghan border if you eliminate the Taliban?
The Salarzai leaders also informed me that last year the army deliberately fired at those villages in Bajaur that were known to be staunchly anti-Taliban.

On the other hand, those Salarzai villages that had Taliban were not marked on the map or bombed by the army. Such villages are Pashat, Banda, Malasyed, Darra and Gundai. Now the Salarzai lashkar has cleared these villages from Taliban control, without any state support.
shravan
BRF Oldie

Post by shravan »

Freed Pakistanis to reach home by special plane: Rehman Malik

ISLAMABAD, Sep 27 (APP): Minister for Interior Rehman Malik said Sunday that five innocent Pakistanis detained in connection with narcotic smuggling case in Saudi Arabia will return home in the next four days on a special aeroplane.Talking to a private TV channel, he said, “The government of Saudi Arabia very kindly and as a goodwill gesture has decided to provide special aeroplane to these Pakistanis :?: to return home.”
Raj Malhotra
BRFite

Post by Raj Malhotra »

Dilbu wrote:Pakistan on alert as blast toll hits 24: police
PESHAWAR, Pakistan — Pakistan's security forces Sunday braced for more attacks by Taliban fighters avenging military action against them, as the death toll from twin suicide blasts rose to 24, police said.

The two vehicle bombings struck the northwest on Saturday, the first on the outskirts of Bannu town, close to the rugged tribal region of North Waziristan, where Washington says Al-Qaeda and the Taliban rebels are holed up.

Hours later in the northwest city Peshawar, a car bomb ripped through a crowded area near banks, shops and a wedding hall on a road leading to the army cantonment, killing 10 people at the scene.

I think that deaths from suicide bomb attacks may have been under-reported in the first place.
pgbhat
BRF Oldie

Post by pgbhat »

No back channel talks with Pak, says India
NEW YORK: India on Sunday rejected any 'back channel' talks with Pakistan and said no meaningful bilateral dialogue can take place unless that country took action against the Mumbai attack suspects.

External Affairs Minister S M Krishna articulated India's position after his two-hour talks with his Pakistani counterpart Shah Mahmood Qureshi in the first highest-level contact between the countries since their Prime Ministers met at the Egyptian city of Sharm El-Sheikh in July.

Krishna said he told Qureshi that India said was concerned over the terror threat still emanating from the soil of that country.

"We have a great concern about the groups operating from Pakistan. We conveyed this to Qureshi about the threats posed to India from the soil of Pakistan," Krishna told reporters after the talks held on the sidelines of the UNGA Session.

Asked about the talk of Pakistan mulling back channel diplomacy," Krishna said, " when front channel is open what is the need of back channel. We have understood each other. Our position has been understood." Pakistan has proposed making former foreign secretary Riaz Muhammed Khan as its Special Envoy for Indian affairs,

Asked about the atmosphere at the keenly awaited talks, Krishna said he and Qureshi had "useful and frank" exchanges.

Asked why India was putting pre-condition for resumption of the stalled Composite Dialogue, Krishna said "I do not think we are not in a position of a dialogue. The question is the quality of the dialogue."
pgbhat
BRF Oldie

Post by pgbhat »

Visa victims ---- The News edit
.........Thousands of students awaiting a visa to join their studies in the UK have seen the start of their semester come and go with no visa in sight – and no way of finding out when it might appear. Memo to UK Border Agency… ‘We are not all terrorists. Why do you treat us like a bunch of criminals? And can we have our passports back? Please. :((
tripathi
BRFite

Post by tripathi »

‘Of cricket and other demons’

Wajahat S. Khan writes about the undertones of racism within the India-Pakistan rivalry.

The former US President Jimmy Carter sneaked a place into the back pages of most Pakistani dailies (which is, unfortunately, where they print the best international stories) by saying that the ‘real’ reason President Barack Obama is encountering such a strong opposition at home is because he’s black. Simple. According to Carter, anti-Obamaism is basically racism. The fact that Carter is from the southern state of Georgia actually added more credibility to the claim: he said that he knows that a racist undercurrent exists in the US, and right now its being channelled against the country’s first black president.

So what? Who cares?

We should. Especially in the wake of yesterday’s victory against the Indian cricket team, we really should look at what version of ‘racism’ applies to us. Consider.

I’m an ok cricket fan. I’m definitely not hard-core, which means that I don’t know exactly at which moment ‘power plays’ are ‘taken’ in what part of the innings, but I do know that strike rates are not as important as overall batting averages and that the dew factor can be bad for one or both teams, depending on the situation. Thus, it wasn’t surprising when I saw most of the Pakistani innings sneaking over my mac as my boss unleashed a weekend project deadline on me on the day of the biggest ODI of the year. But I redeemed myself by wrapping up the project early and leaving work (after all, it was a Pak-India game) and watching the Indian innings in good company.

Good company: Three entreprenuers. Two civil servants. Two lawyers. One sustainable energy developer. One active member of a mainstream political party. And a bunch of random guest appearances by droppers-by who wanted to check the score (we were. after all, at a wedding but not actually attending the function outside - at the cost of testing our friend the groom’s patience).

It was the typical testosterone driven gathering which would be witnessed anywhere in the world. Self-styled urban cowboys who unveil the secret sports analyst inside. The stats guru who has been dormant since the last big India-Pakistan game emerges hand in hand with the aggressive all-rounder who never made it past the Ramzan night-cricket circuit. For the participants, it’s really an exercise of re-living masculine goals and intellectual savvy never achieved. That’s why it’s fun.

Physically, some or all of the following actions can be observed during such a big-game setting. High-fives. Held heads. Chain smoking. Binge drinking. Finger-food demolition. And yes, even text messaging bookies.

But as a boss of mine once told me, incidentally as he nervously watched another big game on his multi-screen monitoring wall years ago, content is king. And the content of this particular gathering was the cheer-leading.

Usually, cheer-leading is fantastic. It’s fun. It’s energetic. It’s a bonding, team building exercise. And it’s a great tool to keep your spirits up when your team is in trouble.

The cheer-leading for this particular match evolved. First, the statisticians pulled out their verbal audit sheets, telling us that Pakistanis are chokers when it comes to big games against India. Yes, the over-all record is in our favour, but we’ve always lost championship games. Always.

‘But they still eat daal!’ hammers back a believer. Laughter.

Daal. The lentil that demarcates the LoC and reinforces the Partition will now decide the fate of our nation’s cricketing zeal.

‘And they worship monkeys!’ says another fan of Team Pakistan. ‘Also elephants, and cows!’

‘Yeah man, meat! Man food! That’s why it doesn’t matter if we don’t take this one. We’re still a team of men!’ summarizes the third, an obvious carnivore as he works through his kunna and Blackberry.

‘Bilkul! It doesn’t matter. Remember the Mumbai attacks? It shook them man. Ten boys took over a city. They’re scared,’ the politico in the gang analyses.

And so it went. High and lows didn’t matter. Muddled political facts, gastronomic stereotypes and psychoanalysis of religious symbolism ended up overshadowing and outweighing the rational logic of the sooth-saying statisticians. Whether Suresh Raina slammed the jittery young pacer Aamer or whether RP Singh was picked up on deep mid-on by a resplendent Yousuf, the cheer-leaders reinforced spirits through an exercise which would have made rioters proud anywhere. From Calcutta to Lahore, from Godhra to Gojra, all famous (or infamous) hate rioters of South Asia must have used the same language in one version or another against whatever group they were targeting. And their partners in Rwanda and Paris and Alabama must have used the same, easy to consume McNuggets of socio-politico-religious chagrin dipped into the snap-to-open barbeque sauce of violence whenever they had gone to town on the ‘other guy’.

But hey, this was cricket. Harmless. Fun. A sport. Our collection of entrepreneurs/lawyers/civil servants/energy developers/politicians were just acting like ‘boys’. They would return to the helm of affairs on Monday morning, ready to be the engines of our growth.

Sure. But not without prejudices.

Sports rivalries are healthy. I’d rather two countries face off for a few hours over the physical control of a round object (which is what cricket boils down to) versus launching projectiles filled with fissile material across each other’s borders (which is what war would boil down to). But to assume that it’s just about ’sport’ in sport rivalries, especially in the context of the unresolved trauma of Partition (and all the cultural and political baggage which comes with it), well, that’s just not cricket!

Khan is a senior anchor on DawnNews TV and a lecturer of current affairs.