MRCA News and Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
AmitR
BRFite

Re: Say no to US....

Post by AmitR »

Rahul M wrote:
AmitR wrote: Is Rahul_H a relative of Rahul_M?
I must say the level of analysis is really mind boggling. :roll:
yes, that's a brilliant bit of deduction! all the rahuls of the world are indeed related. although I'm not sure why. rahul is after all not a surname.
I'm surprised you figured that out on your own. :eek:

Rahul_H is perhaps more closely related to the Rahul G side of the global rahul family, don't you think ? :wink:
what does your method say ?
Aha! :idea: :idea:
Finally got the equation correct.
So, Rahul(G) --> Rahul(H) --> Rahul(M).
Like Mig(21) --> Mig(29) --> Mig(35).
They are upgraded versions with better avionics, better engines. stealth, radars etc etc. :P
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Post by Rahul M »

err, I thought Rahul G was the ultimate of 'em all, future PM and all that.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

I propose that the MRCA be split three ways, with the following aircraft inducted.

1. Mig-35
2. Rafale
3. FA-18 E/F/G

one for nearly as good tech with TOT, cost effectiveness and loyalty, two for le mamozelles for the babooze, three for the radar and the best weapons loadout.

This will result in:
1. The vastest majority of BRF jingos will be happy,
2. The babooze will be happy
3. The three major powers will be happy
4. IAF pilots will be happy.
5. There will be a healty mix of technology, beauty, and sanctions proofing to the widest limit.

Only the the IAF stores management guys will be hopping mad. I am sure India easily has the monies to go in for 80 - 100 of each.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

^^^
not nearly crazy enough for this thread. you have a long way to go.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

:(( :(( :(( :((
RKumar

Post by RKumar »

Seems like guru log today had shivji ka parshad ;)
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

So, Rahul(G) --> Rahul(H) --> Rahul(M)
What? Is this a BR entrant? Rahul? And, is the M model the latest? AESA, super cruise, etc? Meets RFP?
sumshyam
BRFite

Post by sumshyam »

NRao wrote:
So, Rahul(G) --> Rahul(H) --> Rahul(M)
is the M model the latest? AESA, super cruise, etc? Meets RFP?
Nope...I think Its export version..!!!
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

G = Ground Attack
H = Harrier Role
M = Multi Role
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

:rotfl: Saik you made my day .
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

SaiK wrote:G = Ground Attack
H = Harrier Role
M = Multi Role
shhh.......

the G version is for gandhian.

anyway, people I think it is high time I changed my stand on the MRCA competition.
the project has been delayed enough and by the time all the 126 aircrafts are inducted they will be obsolete.
we should change our requirements to something that will stay relevant for the next 40 years ! 8)
my favourite candidate for MRCA. sure, it may be a black hole for resources but it has unmatched level of stealth IAF can never have otherwise, with full TOT to boot ! :shock:

ladies and gentlemen, here's the ultimate in military aviation, the never seen before (or after)
superstealth skylancer

sneak peek !! :eek: :eek:
A squadron of superstealth skylancers being refitted in their hangar.
chiru
BRFite

Post by chiru »

at last this jingos wish was fulfilled local news channel TV-9 had a small report about rafale and the MMRCA competition....but what failed me was he was saying a contract has been signed between dassault and iaf for induction of these aircraft ....later he says other planes are also being evaluated ...one thing i noticed was its engines were not as WINDOW-SHATTERING :twisted: as the eurofighter or the MKI :mrgreen: but absolutely beautiful bird
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

http://www.stavatti.com/MILITARY_AEROSPACE.html used to be the favourite chai-biskooting and gap filler plane for any airforce. sad, it lost the race for mmrca. :twisted:
rahul_h
BRFite -Trainee

Thanx

Post by rahul_h »

AmitR wrote:
rahul_h wrote: IAgain in my opinion

Rafales -- 126

&Mig 35 -- 90 (If any body in the thread agrees with 2 Strategic bids)
can do miracles......

They can clean whole paki Airbases and Airspace and wipe out all their fighter bandars :lol: in just 48 hours in any large scale war with them + together with MKI's we can free tibet in few days from the chinese controls.......
Is Rahul_H a relative of Rahul_M?
I must say the level of analysis is really mind boggling. :roll:
Thanx for tat
nd Rahul M has rightly said all rahuls of the world are related
But not G,H &M
Ground role
Harrier role
Multi role

We all are of SU-27 family......... :D improving year by year with new models
Nihat
BRFite

Post by Nihat »

Rafale lands in Bangalore

29/09

Rafale, the French built fighter aircraft and one of the six fighters competing for the Indian Air Force’s (IAF’s) multi-billion dollar multi-role combat aircraft (MMRCA) deal is in Bangalore. Two twin-engine delta-wing multi-role fighters designed and built by France’s Dassault Aviation and piloted by IAF and French pilots have been undertaking flights – which are part of the MMRCA flight trials — from Bangalore’s HAL Airport since Tuesday.Officials said the two French aircraft had flown non-stop to Bangalore from Dassault’s Flight Test Centre at Istres in France, thanks to the fighter’s in-flight refuelling capabilities.

One of the most modern fourth generation fighters, the Rafale is in use with the French Air Force, and the French Navy for their carrier-based operations. Officials said the Rafale met all the air staff qualitative requirements sought by the IAF and that Dassault was prepared to transfer all the technology that was required by the Indian side. They pointed out that the Rafale had a functioning Active Electronically Scanned Array radar.

Dassault’s bid had the strong backing of the Nicolas Sarkozy Government.

Piloted by IAF and French pilots, the two trainer aircraft will be based in Bangalore for the next fortnight, flying over, and in and out of Bangalore as they take part in the first phase of the flight trials. During the two weeks the aircraft will fly to Leh for the high altitude/cold weather trials and Jaisalmer for the hot weather trials.

Dassault’s technicians, pilots and maintenance crew will train and show IAF test pilots and flight test engineers the capabilities and uniqueness of the Rafale.

Besides the IAF test crews, the specially formed Indian Evaluation Team has representatives from the Ministry of Defence, Hindustan Aeronautics Limited, the Defence and Research Development Organisation, Directorate-General of Aeronautical Quality Assurance and Air Headquarters. Two evaluations teams have been formed for the MMRCA flight trials.

The next phase of flight trials will involve weapon firing trials in the country of the aircraft’s manufacturer. Besides the Rafale the other aircraft in contention for the $ 10 billion to $12 billion deal are Boeing’s F/A-18, Lockheed Martin’s F-16IN Super Viper, the European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company’s Eurofighter Typhoon, Russia’s Mikoyan MiG-35 and Sweden’s Gripen JAS-39.

http://idrw.org/?p=1074#more-1074
I have no clue about the reliability of the source though.
Asit P
BRFite

Post by Asit P »

Nihat wrote: I have no clue about the reliability of the source though.
Nihat ji, The source is 'Hindu'. It's mentioned on top of this article. Rafale is very much here and is busy flirting with the clouds of Bangalore :wink:
Devesh Rawal
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Devesh Rawal »

I hope this is not posted already. Found some of the Rafale's recent pictures in Bangalore, on Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dbanik/ (Note they are from Sep 22nd)

Thank you, Mr. Banik!

Those roundels are soooo close to being the IAF's. :D
Baldev
BRFite

Post by Baldev »

Devesh Rawal wrote:I hope this is not posted already. Found some of the Rafale's recent pictures in Bangalore, on Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dbanik/ (Note they are from Sep 22nd)

Thank you, Mr. Banik!

Those roundels are soooo close to being the IAF's. :D
they are testing these aircrafts as if IAF never operated fighter jet before :wink:

and don't know what kind of evaluation they got by flying aircrafts in india :roll:

these aircrafts are build for worldwide operation so indian climate is no exception.
so better send teams to evaluate 6 contenders in their respective country and test radar,weapons,EW,maneuvering at same time finish this quickly :evil:
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Posting from the MKI thread:
kedar.karmarkar wrote:There are no flight controls in the rear cockpit of the SH - they have pure WSO function. Just talked to a couple of trainee WSOs at NAS Fallon couple of weeks back - they confirmed that the rear seat does not have flight controls.
May be the RFP has provisions to change this for the MRCA????????
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Round and round the merry-go-round we go yet again! There seems to be no end to the lust of BRitons for their favourite birds.So after all, what's in a wench's name? That which we call a wench by any other name would smell as sweet! Except dear folks that for the pleasure of "riding" your favourite wench comes with different price tags and strangely,the oldest hag of the lot,that "Horny" harlot,is as expensive as the newest European tart!

I think that we've gone through the costs before,Oz deal,Brazilian deal,etc. ,there are earlier eetailed posts,and the price tag for all the western birds barring the vanquished Viper and the gripping Viking are between $80-100 million per bird.The sultry Slav will probably come in at around $45-50m with the willing Viking with the smelly underbelly close behind (pun intended)! From my experience,Aryan beauties just swoon over dark hair and I'm definite that this babe will also make an irresistible offer.It all depends dear folks which bird "MADAM" will choose for our virile pilots!
rajeshks
BRFite

Post by rajeshks »

Gurus...

What will be the performance of Paki AIM-120C-5 AMRAAM against Indian SH or F16.
Similarly what will be the performance of Indian AIM-120D against Paki F16s.
rajeshks
BRFite

Post by rajeshks »

Source : Wiki AIM-120 page

Kill probability and tactics
General considerations
Once in its terminal mode, the missile's advanced electronic counter countermeasures (ECCM) support and good maneuverability mean that the chance of it hitting or exploding close to the target is high (on the order of 90%), as long as it has enough remaining energy to maneuver with the target if it is evasive. The kill probability (Pk) is determined by several factors, including aspect (head-on interception, side-on or tail-chase), altitude, the speed of the missile and the target, and how hard the target can turn. Typically, if the missile has sufficient energy during the terminal phase, which comes from being launched close enough to the target from an aircraft flying high and fast enough, it will have an excellent chance of success. This chance drops as the missile is fired at longer ranges as it runs out of overtake speed at long ranges, and if the target can force the missile to turn it might bleed off enough speed that it can no longer chase the target.

[edit] Lower-capability targets
This leads to two main engagement scenarios. If the target is not armed with any medium or long-range fire-and-forget weapons, the attacking aircraft need only to get close enough to the target and launch the AMRAAM. In these scenarios, the AMRAAM has a high chance of hitting, especially against low-maneuverability targets. The launch distance depends upon whether the target is heading towards or away from the firing aircraft. In a head-on engagement, the missile can be launched at longer range, since the range will be closing fast. In this situation, even if the target turns around, it is unlikely it can speed up and fly away fast enough to avoid being overtaken and hit by the missile (as long as the missile is not released too early). It is also unlikely the enemy can outmaneuver the missile since the closure rate will be so great. In a tail-on engagement, the firing aircraft might have to close to between one-half and one-quarter maximum range (or maybe even closer for a very fast target) in order to give the missile sufficient energy to overtake the targets.

If the targets are armed with missiles, the fire-and-forget nature of the AMRAAM is invaluable, enabling the launching aircraft to fire missiles at the target and subsequently take defensive actions. Even if the targets have longer-range semi-active radar homing (SARH) missiles, they will have to chase the launching aircraft in order for the missiles to track them, effectively flying right into the AMRAAM. If the target aircraft fires missiles and then turn and runs away, their own missiles will not be able to hit. Of course, if the target aircraft have long range missiles, even if they are not fire-and-forget, the fact that they force the launching aircraft to turn and run reduces the kill probability, since it is possible that without the mid-course updates the missiles will not find the target aircraft. However the chance of success is still good and compared to the relative impunity the launching aircraft enjoy, this gives the AMRAAM-equipped aircraft a decisive edge. If one or more missiles fail to hit, the AMRAAM-equipped aircraft can turn and re-engage, although they will be at a disadvantage compared to the chasing aircraft due to the speed they lose in the turn, and would have to be careful that they're not being tracked with SARH missiles.

[edit] Similarly armed targets
The other main engagement scenario is against other aircraft with fire-and-forget missiles like the Vympel R-77 (NATO AA-12 "Adder") — perhaps MiG-29s, Su-27s or similar. In this case engagement is very much down to teamwork and could be described as "a game of chicken." Both flights of aircraft can fire their missiles at each other beyond visual range (BVR), but then face the problem that if they continue to track the target aircraft in order to provide mid-course updates for the missile's flight, they are also flying into their opponents' missiles. Although in this regard the RVV-AE (which is the missile's export name or R-77 the official Russian Air force designation) does have an advantage as it has a greater range than the AMRAAM (when the AIM-120D is deployed the AMRAAM will have 30+ miles more range than the R-77, and with stealth planes such as the F-22 Raptor the range of the enemies weapons doesn't matter), meaning that the Russian airplane firing it can in fact fire first, although it still needs to lead the missile towards the target as the missiles own radar seeker has a limited range (under 10 km for the R-77, and longer range for the AMRAAM). This is why teamwork is so important and advanced missiles with guidance systems with hand-off capability can help overcome this problem. This is also part of the reason why most tactics dictate holding on to missiles "until you see the whites of their eyes," or holding on to them for as long as possible.

If the enemy fires missiles at maximum range, you will be able to defeat them easily without having surrendered valuable ordnance yourself. The other main tactic would be to sneak up behind the enemy aircraft and launch missiles without them noticing, giving the launching aircraft sufficient time to leave the danger zone of the enemy after launching. Even if the enemy detects the launch and turns around, the speed and possibly altitude it loses during the turn puts its missiles at an energy disadvantage which may be sufficient for the other aircraft to defeat it. This typically requires excellent ground-control intercept (GCI) or airborne radar (AWACS) facilities in order to be successful.
Jean_M
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Jean_M »

Some more news on rafale in india (given a quite reliable french poster)
Rafale B301 and B302 were previously based at Jaisalmer. Both carry an AESA radar.
One of the test pilots, former leader of a mirage 2000 unit seem to have been quite pleased with the performances of the plane.
Tests included air to ground firings, air refueling with your Il-78, landing at max landing weight and of course hot weather tolerance.

This source was also said that in comparison, F16 and F18 didn't do too well with hot temperatures during their stay at jaisalmer. (please remember I'm just quoting a french forum source and do not want to start a flame - anyway, that's an interesting info from my point of view)
adel ansari
BRFite -Trainee

Post by adel ansari »

"India to acquire Killer Drone"

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/india ... 11/522675/

Source: Indian Express

PS: .. Moderator Please move it to relevant thread...
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

Drones arent taking part in MMRCA deal
JTull
BRF Oldie

Post by JTull »

krishnan wrote:Drones arent taking part in MMRCA deal
:twisted:
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Jean_M wrote:Some more news on rafale in india (given a quite reliable french poster)
Rafale B301 and B302 were previously based at Jaisalmer. Both carry an AESA radar.
One of the test pilots, former leader of a mirage 2000 unit seem to have been quite pleased with the performances of the plane.
Tests included air to ground firings, air refueling with your Il-78, landing at max landing weight and of course hot weather tolerance.
Thanks.
This source was also said that in comparison, F16 and F18 didn't do too well with hot temperatures during their stay at jaisalmer. (please remember I'm just quoting a french forum source and do not want to start a flame - anyway, that's an interesting info from my point of view)
Strange. These very planes CAME FROM UAE!!!! This time of the year Jaisalmer is not as hot as it gets in summer (when these tests were supposed to be conducted)!!!!! So, that does seem very, very odd. The F-16 should not have had a problem.

even the F-18s should have been used to the heat - they do well in the same heat in the Gulf.
Jean_M
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Jean_M »

Found it strange too. Given the source, it's because fighters are most of the time under hangars during the hot hours of the day. It's far from usual to let them get cooked by the sun. He said Indian bases do not provide enough hangars to ensure that, and indians are used to russian planes toughness, thus the test.
I guess it provided them interesting info on harsh weather resistance of the planes and allowed them to establish figures concerning maintenance requirements in such conditions.
Baldev
BRFite

Post by Baldev »

rajeshks wrote:Source : Wiki AIM-120 page

Kill probability and tactics
General considerations
Once in its terminal mode, the missile's advanced electronic counter countermeasures (ECCM) support and good maneuverability mean that the chance of it hitting or exploding close to the target is high (on the order of 90%), as long as it has enough remaining energy to maneuver with the target if it is evasive. The kill probability (Pk) is determined by several factors, including aspect (head-on interception, side-on or tail-chase), altitude, the speed of the missile and the target, and how hard the target can turn. Typically, if the missile has sufficient energy during the terminal phase

as the missiles own radar seeker has a limited range (under 10 km for the R-77, and longer range for the AMRAAM).
if you really believe this info,
but what is proof that R77 active seeker has inferior range compared to AMRAAM seeker claimed in the article :?:

except SARH variant the passive radar homing and IR homing variants of R27 missile are fire and forget

there are four types of seeker available to India from Russia which no other country can provide :mrgreen:

Semi active radar homing
Active radar homing
Infra Red homing
Passive radar homing

350mm varient of 9B 1103M seeker has been fitted on R33 missile :D
Last edited by Baldev on 30 Sep 2009 18:58, edited 1 time in total.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

RVV-AE seeker is larger than amraam one and has a range of around 20 km IIRC.
Baldev
BRFite

Post by Baldev »

here are the lock on range of

9B-1101K semi active radar seeker 30km against 3 m^2 used on R27 missile with mig29.
9B-1348E active radar seeker used on initial variants of R77.
9B-1103M active radar seeker used on newest variants of R77.

http://milparade.udm.ru/16/44-45.htm
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Jean_M wrote:Found it strange too. Given the source, it's because fighters are most of the time under hangars during the hot hours of the day. It's far from usual to let them get cooked by the sun. He said Indian bases do not provide enough hangars to ensure that, and indians are used to russian planes toughness, thus the test.
I guess it provided them interesting info on harsh weather resistance of the planes and allowed them to establish figures concerning maintenance requirements in such conditions.
Thanks.

Does anyone have info on the MKI - the need for hangers vs. sun_bake?

I would have thought that all planes need some amount of "cover", if not hangers at least cover the cockpit?
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Jean_M wrote:Some more news on rafale in india (given a quite reliable french poster)

thanks Jean..I only wish the trials were conducted at the peak of the summer..that would've really tested out the fighters that actually lack good T/W ratio and high reserve power. if the F-18 and F-16 had trouble in the September heat of Jaisalmer, then they could have more trouble in the heat of April-May-June..I'm pretty sure that the IAF would be preparing charts that would be given for the performance in 40 deg heat and find out by extrapolation what the performance would be in 45-50 deg heat with the aircraft and its systems exposed on the tarmac.
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

NRao wrote:
Jean_M wrote:Found it strange too. Given the source, it's because fighters are most of the time under hangars during the hot hours of the day. It's far from usual to let them get cooked by the sun. He said Indian bases do not provide enough hangars to ensure that, and indians are used to russian planes toughness, thus the test.
Thanks.

I would have thought that all planes need some amount of "cover", if not hangers at least cover the cockpit?
The Lohegaon airbase where 1/2 squandrons of SU 30 MKI are based, hardly has any hangars.

K
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

NRao wrote:
Thanks.

one of the points mentioned after the Su-30MKI crash that led to the death of the rear seater was that the sun-baking had led to a decay in the strength of the pilot's harness. the suggestion made was that the aircraft needed to be sheltered better from the sun. nevertheless, if its an IAF requirement, the contenders have to comply- remember how IAF had the Tejas go to Nagpur during the peak of the summer for heat soak trials followed by flight trials to check the system performance with Group Captain Nayani Harish as test pilot? As per sources, the Tejas did very well in those conditions. even the IJT Sitara was sent to Nagpur for its heat soak tests.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

KD,

Thanks.

K,

I just "visited" Lohegaon. :(
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

Strange. These very planes CAME FROM UAE!!!! This time of the year Jaisalmer is not as hot as it gets in summer (when these tests were supposed to be conducted)!!!!! So, that does seem very, very odd. The F-16 should not have had a problem.
even the F-18s should have been used to the heat - they do well in the same heat in the Gulf.
Found it strange too.
Jean M, Raosaab,

Nothing strange about this imho. IIRC, the blk 60 had a terrible time at bangalore during AI 09. Bust a tire i think. The heavy weight causes major problems when compounded with sweltering temps of indian weather, wouldn't be surprised if the temp within the canopy @ jaisalmer went straight to 120-130 F during september. Further, I think the hangars for the blk60 are super nice (i could be wrong), heard from a USAF chap in the UAE that the facilities there make them envious.

Re. the F-18s - being on carriers, sometimes below deck and the equable weather conditions created by the sea (it will never be as hot as a desert), I dare say the shornet has never seen anything like jaisalmer conditions before. The rafale otoh, seems to have done quite well in AFPAK. M2ks too don't seem to have serious issues with the heat.

JMT
I have seen images of fighter cockpits being covered by gunny sack type materials, a good soaking would keep cockpit materials relatively in the shade and cool.
CM.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

so you are saying nothing other than france and russkies works fine for us? :twisted:
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

SaiK wrote:so you are saying nothing other than france and russkies works fine for us? :twisted:

For sure, yes because the IAF has hardware from both these makers (flankers/migs & M2ks). So far no problems in terms of heat and take offs. Jags too i guess. The EF-2K should be fine considering its reserve of excess power. I wonder how the Gripen will fare though - it surely does not have as much power as the 35, Rafale or EF-2K. But it is not as bulky as teens.

CM.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Well, suspect the teens did well in other areas.

Whatever, hope the IAF and not the politicos are happy.