Internal Security Watch

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Re: Internal Security Watch

Post by Singha »

isnt Dubai the clearing house for financial dealings of the international mafia - deals that are a bit harder to do in western europe in terms of travel, logistics and movement of money.

they didnt want to lose the cheap labour from india hence the superficial friendliness - in reality their citizens and ruling classes share none of our values or threat perceptions and hence can hardly be our real allies.
sanjaychoudhry
BRFite

Post by sanjaychoudhry »

Police kill 24 Maoists in Chhattisgarh gun battle
http://in.reuters.com/article/topNews/i ... 5220090918

Finally some good news -- the scums are being killed as they deserve. Very bad though about the troopers who lost their lives.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/news ... 026499.cms
Crime tracking network system by 2011-12: Chidambaram
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

India's west coast on terror radar: IB sources
Times Now quoted IB sources as saying that all coastal state DGPs have been sent alert mails to increase patrolling in the wake of terror threat from sea.

Sources also warn that the attacks vessels would be launched from an Iranian port and a Gulf financier is believed to be behind the terror plans.
AnimeshP
BRFite

Post by AnimeshP »

Gujarat plans 111 Quick Response Teams to tackle 'terror 24x7'
Gujarat has sought Central nod for as many as 111 anti-terror Quick Response Teams (QRTs), armed with hi-tech weapons, even armoured vehicles. These QRTs, working in three shifts, will be on call 24x7 and will be deployed across the state.

The QRTs, senior police officials said, will comprise highly trained men from the Anti-Terrorist Assault Squads (ATAS). These mobile teams will remain within reach of sensitive locations and likely terror targets. Their positions, officials said, will keep changing so that the surprise element is maintained. The Special Operations Group (SOG) of the state Anti Terrorist Squad (ATS) will be given the task of briefing, monitoring and coordinating QRTs.
A typical QRT will have six commandos. The team will be headed by a Sub-Inspector with a Head Constable as second-in-command. Three constables will be “fighter operators” while the sixth member — a constable driver — will also be “combatized”. The state police also plan to provide armoured vehicles with NIJ Level III protection to all QRTs.

Each fighter operator will have a semi-automatic pistol as a personal side arm. The team firepower will essentially be three submachine guns and two assault rifles. Tactical features like red dot self-powered optical sighting systems, three-point tactical slings, full coverage body armour tactical vests, helmets of NIJ Level III protection will be provided in addition to gas masks, fire retardant gear, gloves, eyewear and tactical boots.
I hope this initiative doesn't die a political death ...
munna
BRFite
Location: Pee Arr Eff's resident Constitution Compliance Strategist (Phd, with upper hand)

Post by munna »

Kanchan Gupta (Assoc editor DailyPioneer) reporting on his twitter account and I quote:
Kanchan Gupta wrote:Major Police-Commando Battalion for Resolute Action (CoBRA) joint assault on Maoist base in Dantewada. Runup to multi-State operation
Kanchan Gupta wrote:Asst Commandant of CoBRA killed leading attack; up to 20 Maobadis possibly dead, 8 bodies located. Major arms factory busted.
KanchanGupta wrote:Strangely, media, especially TV, has virtually ignored the story.
shravan
BRF Oldie

Post by shravan »

munna wrote:
KanchanGupta wrote:Strangely, media, especially TV, has virtually ignored the story.
I saw the news (TimesNow) but i also ignored it... :oops:
munna
BRFite
Location: Pee Arr Eff's resident Constitution Compliance Strategist (Phd, with upper hand)

Post by munna »

Details are in! DailyPioneer Reports
Reports said the Left-wing guerrillas suffered a serious setback following a raid on their arms factory by a joint operation team of COBRA and police. Despite the element of surprise, the Maoists shot back and killed an assistant commandant of the elite force. At least six COBRA personnel went missing and an equal number was seriously injured. The number of Maoists killed in the fierce encounter was estimated at over a dozen.
“Nine bodies of Maoists have already been recovered while assistant commandant Manoranjan Singh died in the encounter,” said DGP Vishwaranjan. Confirming that six COBRA personnel were missing, the DGP said more Maoists might have been killed and a search was on to recover their bodies.
Significantly, the incident occurred when hectic preparations are on to launch a massive strike against the rebels in Chhattisgarh. The operation will pool together forces from the BSF, ITBP, CRPF, CAF and district police with the help of special police officers, who have been drafted in from the local youth. Already, Air Force officers have visited Raipur in connection with the proposed offensive against the Maoists
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

The COBRA units are elite, from what I hear. Joint multi-state operation does sound very good. This crossing of state-boundaries offering protection to Maoists has carried on too long.

Odds are that the COBRA have above average equipment and protective gear like bulletproof vests etc when taking down the maoist murderers. Or so I hope.

May the martyred troops RIP. Shameful that dhimmedia has resolutely chosen to ignore such an important and impactful story. On whose ishaara they hype/bury select stories, I wonder sometimes.
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

YSR's Son-In-Law Pulling Brahmin Voters

Though it is always proclaimed that India is a secular country with broader outlook on caste and creed, the grim reality is that most of the elections and its candidates are governed by the caste factor and this forms the major crust of forming a government and sometimes policies too.

It is now being said that the Chief Minister Y S Rajasekhar Reddy’s son in law Anil who is originally a Brahmin has now got into a new initiative and that is too woo the Brahmin voters. It is known news that though he has taken Christianity, he still has his blood and family ties with Brahmins in a large way.

So it is now being said that Anil’s presence has been drawing the attention of the Brahmin community and given the relationship, they are also showing interest in voting for the Congress party. It must be recalled that there are those loyal PV Narasimha Rao supporters who still promote Congress in a large way.
This is not too well known.
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

Lethal links
Interrogation report of LeT operative reveals modus operandi of ‘sleeper cells’

By Payal Saxena

Sarfaraz Nawaz could have been one of those middle class youths from Kerala migrating to the Middle East in search of a better future. But a chance meeting with Lashkar-e-Toiba operative Wajid Bhatkal in a shoe shop in Muscat cwwhanged his fate.
On February 27, Sarfaraz, 32, was arrested by the Karnataka Police at Kalasipalyam when he was about to board a bus to Kerala. Investigators say he was a key link in the LeT’s activities from Oman, and had arranged finances from the outfit for the July 2008 Bangalore attacks and facilitated training of Kerala youths in Kashmir. Sarfaraz’s interrogation report, a copy of which is with THE WEEK, says that he even has indirect knowledge about the LeT’s plans to target Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and scientists of ISRO and DRDO.

The report sheds light on what is a “perfect example of a sleeper cell”—which “does not really mean a secret base, but a group of eight to ten people spread across two to three countries, usually India’s neighbours. They bring in their families for a cover-up as well. The operations carried out are thus so discreet.”

Even as the intelligence agencies and the police find it “very difficult” to locate a sleeper cell, the report gives an insight into the activities of the LeT. Before the Bangalore attacks, Sarfaraz had established contacts with more than 12 people spread across the Middle East, Kerala and Karnataka to train youths in jihad. “The names and contact details of Sarfaraz’s associates will help the agencies to track them down and hunt for more leads,” says an intelligence officer. Sources say there are about 200 Pakistani LeT operatives in Kashmir alone. More than 100 Indians have joined the outfit and it is difficult to locate them as they have huge local support. Says a Delhi Police officer: “Around 400 trucks come from Kashmir to Delhi every day. It’s not physically possible to check the details of every man in the truck. We do not rule out pockets in Delhi where terrorist activities may be going on clandestinely.”

The report says that the LeT network is spread across the Middle East. Sleeper cells seem to be coming up in western UP, Kerala and coastal Karnataka. “But they could be anywhere in the country. The movement is free and uninhibited. The Middle East, Bangladesh and Nepal have always been transit and base points,” says Bangalore Police Commissioner Shankar Bidari.
Sarfaraz had done a computer course at an institute in Kerala’s Ernakulam district and was academic coordinator at Al-Mihad Educational Centre in Muscat. His initiation into terror began after he got interested in the Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI). In 2000, he became office secretary at the SIMI headquarters in Delhi. Worried over his association with SIMI, his father sent him to Muscat in July 2001 where he worked as a salesman. Later, he got his visa extended till August 2003.

Before leaving Muscat in 2003, Sarfaraz met Wajid Bhatkal, then working at Shama Shoe Shop. Sarfaraz had visited the shop a number of times and discussed communal disturbances in Mangalore with Bhatkal, who had “expressed his unhappiness over the sufferings of Muslims in the world and was quite determined to join the jihad and wage war against the infidels.” Bhatkal also had Pakistani friends involved with jihadi groups. In April 2006, an ex-SIMI activist, Saabir of Perambavoor in Kerala, introduced Sarfaraz to T. Nasir alias Ummer Haji, an LeT operative from Kannur in Kerala, during a sufi programme at Perumbavoor mosque. Now wanted in the Bangalore blasts case, Nasir had inspired Sarfaraz to take up jihad and convinced him to recruit youths for jihadi training.

In January 2007, Sarfaraz met Bhatkal in Muscat and discussed preparations for jihad. Bhatkal introduced Sarfaraz to a Pakistani, Muslim Basheer, who was imam in Al Wadi Al Kabir Lashku Mosque in Waljah, Oman. Basheer was to be approached for help to send recruits for jihadi training. Basheer put him on to a Pakistani, Haroon, who used to take care of Haj travel packages at Moon Travels in Muscat.

In mid-2007, Haroon introduced Sarfaraz to Wali alias Rehan, a Pakistani LeT operative who was in charge of the Gulf region. They discussed the plight of Muslims in Chechnya, Palestine, Iraq, Afghanistan and Kashmir. Wali spoke about the situation in Gujarat and other parts of India and motivated Sarfaraz to take up jihad and asked him to get arms training in Pakistan.

In June, Abdul Aziz Al Hooti (Ali), an Omani, met Sarfaraz at Al Khuwair on directions from Wali. Later, Ali discussed the need for Muslim youths to take up jihad and asked Sarfaraz to get ready to proceed for training at short notice. Ali said arrangements would be made for Sarfaraz to travel by air or sea. Sarfaraz learnt from Ali that a major portion of the LeT consisted of ex-military officers of Pakistan and that the outfit “motivated people of Pakistan to fight against Hindustan on the basis of jihad.”

Sarfaraz’s interrogation revealed that Nasir had planned simultaneous attacks in Chennai and Bangalore, but Wali suggested it would not be advisable as it required a lot of planning, logistic support and more persons. He suggested that Bangalore would be an ideal target as its IT and economic growth would attract the attention of the media and the world. Nasir was asked only to execute the attack with the help of trusted persons and leave the place before the action.

Soon after the Bangalore blasts, Sarfaraz arranged to send five persons for training to Pakistan, of whom four were shot in Jammu and Kashmir; one is in police custody. Even as the Kerala Police began arresting those involved in the blasts and the names of Nasir and his associates appeared in the media, Wali directed Sarfaraz to ask Nasir and his aides to escape to Bangladesh. All of them escaped in different directions.
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

Paul wrote:
YSR's Son-In-Law Pulling Brahmin Voters

Though it is always proclaimed that India is a secular country with broader outlook on caste and creed, the grim reality is that most of the elections and its candidates are governed by the caste factor and this forms the major crust of forming a government and sometimes policies too.

It is now being said that the Chief Minister Y S Rajasekhar Reddy’s son in law Anil who is originally a Brahmin has now got into a new initiative and that is too woo the Brahmin voters. It is known news that though he has taken Christianity, he still has his blood and family ties with Brahmins in a large way.

So it is now being said that Anil’s presence has been drawing the attention of the Brahmin community and given the relationship, they are also showing interest in voting for the Congress party. It must be recalled that there are those loyal PV Narasimha Rao supporters who still promote Congress in a large way.
This is not too well known.
Replying this will make OT but I don't know where to reply. He has zero abilities to do whatever was written above. Irrespective of PVNR or YSR or someone else Brahmins in AP always voted INC in AP. Why they vote that way is a different topic and I covered it during the elections in those threads.
Avinash R
BRFite

Post by Avinash R »

I live in daily dread of another 26/11, says NSA
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/i-live-in-da ... 802-3.html

National Security Advisor MK Narayanan confessed that he lives in daily dread of a terror strike which could match the 26/11 terror attacks. Talking to Karan Thapar in CNN-IBN show Devil’s Advocate, Narayanan doubted the credibility of the FIRs filed by Pakistan against Hafiz Saeed, the alleged mastermind of Mumbai terror attacks.

Here is an excerpt of the interview –

Karan Thapar: How seriously scared are you that there could be a second major Mumbai like strike on India?

MK Narayanan: Here you are asking me a question that I live in almost daily dread that something that I am looking at or the Home Minister P Chidambaram. The Home Minister takes a daily meeting at which I am also present and when he is not there I take that meeting. We get so many pieces of intelligence which pass across our table, many you can sort of weed out but as I said there are quite a few which if they are not able to nip it in bud can turn dangerous. However, it is difficult to say whether we will have another Mumbai because I think we are better prepared perhaps for that kind of situation, but it could be quite serious.

Karan Thapar: US President Barack Obama was once quoted as saying that Pakistan scares him. Does Pakistan scare you?

MK Narayanan: Pakistan may not scare me but some of Pakistan's actions scare us, because I don't think this really adds to anything except creating problems for us.

In an apparent contradiction to the stand taken by Chidambaram who said that Pakistan’s FIRs against Hafiz Saeed was the first positive step, Narayanan said that it does not add any credibility to Pakistan's commitment to act against the Mumbai accused.

MK Narayanan: If you take the Saeed dossier that has been provided to Pakistan, I think we have marshaled what I would call Grade 1 evidence. You have the evidence from three people, three human beings, three admittedly terrorists - Kasab, Fahim Ansari, Soharabuddin - who talked of what Saeed had come talked to them, what he had said etc. This is apart from other connecting evidence. I agree one can never be assure what a court would with that kind of evidence but if you are not even willing to test that it certainly leaves in our mind a big question mark about where Pakistan stands on terrorism.

Karan Thapar: On Thursday, Pakistan has filed two FIRs under the Anti-Terrorist act against Saeed but they are not in any way connected with the accusations that he faces for the Mumbai terrorist attack of 2008. Do you see that as a first positive step or from India's point of view is it irrelevant?

MK Narayanan: I think the latest one doesn't really add to any credibility in my opinion.

Karan Thapar: It does nothing to add to Pakistan's credibility at all?

MK Narayanan: Yes, at least as far as the Mumbai terrorists are concerned.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

rkirankr
BRFite

Post by rkirankr »

Guru logs,
What is it preventing the Center from imposing president's rule in WB. The WB govt is clearly failed in security and there is open confrontation between its cadres and maoists. The WB police is invisible. Govts have been dismissed for less than this. I think the people of WB deserve some breathing space. A spell of president's rule will be welocomed by the people
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

rkirankr wrote:Guru logs,
What is it preventing the Center from imposing president's rule in WB. The WB govt is clearly failed in security and there is open confrontation between its cadres and maoists. The WB police is invisible. Govts have been dismissed for less than this. I think the people of WB deserve some breathing space. A spell of president's rule will be welocomed by the people
No a guru and not from WB or even Desh!

IMO there is only one plausible reason. Elections! INC doesn’t want to give any reason for the left front to gain sympathy before elections.

I was watching a Mexican movie called “The Line”. In that the big boss says this. “Any system that is fundamentally wrong is bound to fail. Nature has a way of solving its problems. The best action one can take is inaction (don’t do anything). And that flawed system will self-destroy”.

I guess INC follows this strategy, sometimes reaping good results and some other times creating rigid and escapist systems. Only the wise knows what to do when.
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

This is part of a Frontline special on encounters. The article posted below is the Maharashtra case. The link has further info on encounters across the country, from J&K to TN.

Fake justice
To understand the origin of encounters in Mumbai, one has to understand the history of crime in the metropolis. Police documents say that encounters began in the early 1980s, when the underworld started exercising control over the metropolis in a big way. At that time, it operated mainly in the area of hafta (protection money). Drugs, commercial sex, and trade in illegal weapons became major sources of income for the underworld, when Dawood Ibrahim took over from the don Karim Lala.

Arun Gawli’s gang was also gaining strength during that time. Gang rivalries were at their peak. The police began to eliminate key gangsters in order to curb crime or even to settle scores. Such encounters eventually became a means to break the underworld in the city.

But by the early 1990s the Mumbai Police were in a shambles. They were unable to control the communal riots of 1992-93 and their intelligence machinery completely failed to get wind of the preparations for the serial bomb blasts of 1993, which killed 257 people. Investigations revealed that Dawood Ibrahim’s gang, which was reigning supreme at the time, was responsible for the terror attack.

Extortion killings were also increasing. Builders, film producers and businessmen were shot in broad daylight. The city was clearly being run by the underworld, and something had to be done.

A special squad was created in the police, under orders from the Home Minister, to combat the underworld terror and finish off gangsters if necessary. The squad was trained in automatic weaponry and virtually given the licence to kill.

An extreme situation called for extreme measures,” said a police officer who was formerly Joint Commissioner (Crime) and was credited with destroying the two major underworld gangs in the city. According to an informed source, there were upwards of 200 encounter deaths during his tenure.

The special force put together a network of informers and systematically did away with gangsters. All the gang syndicates were severely crippled. And with dons Dawood and Chota Rajan on the run, it became increasingly difficult for the underworld to continue its business in the city. Mumbai was finally becoming a safe place.

Meanwhile, the squad came to be known as the Encounter Specialists. Its members were feared and, in a perverse way, society began lionising them. Films were made and books written based on their heroics. But some of them fell out of grace at some point in their careers.

They act on commands from the top. So they probably believe no one can touch them. They are highly trained in combating crime and the underworld. But all the recognition and glory make them a little heady with power,” said a human rights lawyer.

The highest number of gangsters killed by the police was 94, in 2001, according to State government records. The number fell to 47 in 2002, and eight in 2006. Police sources say there were approximately 600 “encounter deaths” in the last six years.

In the 2000s too, Mumbai witnessed several bomb blasts though not as severe as the 1993 series. Acting on Intelligence Bureau reports, the police busted several militant cells. Here again, the encounter method played a crucial role. In March 2003, three men were gunned down on the grounds that they were Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) operatives linked to the 2002-03 blasts in Mumbai. In August 2006, another LeT operative was gunned down, because he was in possession of unlicensed arms and ammunition.

Yes, there are human rights issues here. But encounters have been largely responsible for reducing the high crime levels in this city. It has worked as a deterrent and we have definitely got rid of some nasty elements. We don’t just pick on anyone. There is substantial intelligence information before a person is picked up,” says a high-ranking police official.

Clearly, encounters with militants have not been as successful as those with the underworld. Mumbai continues to be a terror target.

Human rights groups have been decrying these extrajudicial killings. P.A. Sebastian, a member of the Committee for Protection of Democratic Rights, says encounters are staged to salvage the government’s image and counter the impression that law and order is out of control. “The police say they have acted in self-defence. The state accepts that. No cases are registered, there is no trial,” he points out. The victims are most often poor and have no self-defence.

According to the police officer, encounters are not easily achieved. There are certain rules. For instance, if an encounter does take place, the involved policemen have to depose before a magistrate in an inquiry. Every trap laid for a criminal, which may possibly turn into an encounter, requires the permission of a District Magistrate. Most importantly, a policeman will not fire unless fired upon, he says. However, activists argue that this rule is not always followed.

“Encounter killing” is a pan-Indian phenomenon and an easy way out for men in uniform.
Post 26/11, 10 new Pak terror camps
.............Intelligence agencies have told the government that Pakistani security agencies are increasing the number of terrorist training schools they run in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir.

India knew of 52 camps on Pakistani soil last year, around the time of the Mumbai attack. “Ten more have come up in recent months,” a senior government official told HT.

The Multi-Agency Centre — the Intelligence Bureau hub with representatives from all security agencies — counted 62 camps ahead of Home Minister P. Chidambaram’s visit to the United States earlier this month. (is there a Home Ministry attempt to let the Indian public know that MAC is up and running after all these years?)

Chidambaram is understood to have shared details of the camps, along with maps and intercepts of conversations between terrorists and their Pakistani handlers, with the US government.

The US was also given details of the 260 infiltration attempts this year. Ninety-one terrorists have been killed so far this year. Ten have been arrested.

Intelligence agencies have also reported that 199 terrorists infiltrated in the first six months of the year, up from 117 in the same period last year.

“We focus on Saeed as he symbolises Pakistani inaction,” said the official, who refused to be named. But, he said, the problem is larger and reflected in the rise in the number of training camps and infiltration bids.

Security officers who came face-to-face with the infiltrators say they move in groups of six to 10 and are well trained and equipped. “They seem as well trained as the ones who attacked Mumbai,” a Border Security Force officer in Jammu and Kashmir said.
Brilliant! Just tell Chacha everything. We will just sit on our hands and do nothing.

Chidambaram compliments Delhi Police for nabbing Maoist leader
Complimenting Delhi Police for arresting a top Maoist leader from the capital, Union home minister P Chidambaram today said it showed how well the intelligence agencies and the police were working together.
"I compliment the Delhi Police for arresting a very senior naxal leader. Two top naxal leaders were arrested before 2007 and four after 2007. This is an indication of how well the intelligence agencies and Delhi Police are working together," Chidambaram said.

He was speaking to reporters after inaugurating 22 new police stations here.

Kobad Gandhi (63), a Polit Bureau member of CPI (Maoist), was caught by the Special Cell of Delhi Police from Bikhaji Cama Place on Sunday night following an input received from intelligence agencies.

Gandhi was also in charge of the sub committee on mass organisations, spreading its influence in the urban areas and publication wing. He was also allegedly in touch with foreign extreme Left organisations to get international recognition.
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

Arrested Maoist leader frequently visited Delhi: police
September 22nd, 2009 - 3:39 pm ICT by IANS Tell a Friend -

New Delhi, Sep 22 (IANS) A day after top Maoist leader Kobad Ghandi was arrested here, police Tuesday said he was a frequent visitor to the national capital and his interrogation may reveal a lot.
Ghandi, who was produced before a city judge, is cooling his heels in the capital’s highly secured Tihar jail. He has been sent to 14 days judicial custody.

“He is definitely a prize catch and this is the first time such a senior Maoist leader has been arrested here. But we have not been able to interrogate him at length yet. So far we only know that he was frequent (in visiting) the national capital and had come three-four days ago,” a senior police officer associated with the investigations told IANS.

“We will seek his police custody and interrogate him about his purpose and activities in the capital. His arrest might lead to apprehending of his accomplices. He will also be questioned on whether Left extremists have set up a base in Delhi and are planning some activity,” the official added.

Police said Ghandi, 60, is among the key policymakers of the banned Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist). He was primarily tasked to spread the base organisation in urban areas.

Ghandi, a politburo member of the organisation, was caught by the Special Cell of Delhi Police Monday at Bhikaji Cama Place in south Delhi following intelligence inputs.

He was also believed to be in touch with extreme Left organisations abroad to get international recognition for his party.

Ghandi was brought up in an upper middle class Parsi family in Mumbai and studied chartered accountancy in London before joining the movement, police said. He has been associated with Maoists for the past three decades and is a senior ideologue and recruiter for the organisation.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

We see that between 1975 to 1979 lot of leadership of the naxl and maoist movement started with the help of the western funds. After the fall of IG this movement has taken high profile
The amount of funds which is entering for maoist cause is fragmented but steady.

Similar thing is happening EJ funds.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

http://beta.thehindu.com/news/article23749.ece

Sacked sepoy, “working for ISI,” held in Patna

Shoumojit Banerjee

A dismissed Indian sepoy, alleged to be working for Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), was arrested by the Patna police and the Special Task Force on Monday night after secret documents on troop deployments in Jammu and Kashmir and near the Electronics and Mechanical Engineering (EME) Unit in Secunderabad were found in his possession.

Sudhanshu Sudhakar was picked up from the Kankarbagh area following a tip-off from the Intelligence Bureau and other intelligence agencies.

The police said Sudhakar was also supplying information on missiles to an ISI module.
Booked under OSA

Describing the arrest as a “big catch,” Additional Director-General (headquarters) Neelmani said he was booked under the Official Secrets Act.

The police have recovered from Sudhakar a mobile phone, five SIM cards and a SIM card with a Nepal number, along with the receipt of a Kutch-based hotel.

Senior Superintendent of Police Vineet Vinayak said vital information was extracted from Sudhakar during interrogation. “He was residing at Sitamarhi in Bihar and was on his way to Kathmandu to pass on secrets pertaining to the movement of the Indian Army along the borders to a contact.” Earlier, he had gone to Kathmandu thrice for rendezvousing with a Kathmandu-based ISI member. He was here to collect information about the ordnance factory at Rajgir in Nalanda district, Mr. Vinayak said.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

From Nightwatch, 22 Sept 2009
India: Authorities arrested Kobad Gandhi, a leader of the Communist Party of India-Maoist, in 20 September in New Delhi, Press Trust of India reported 21 September, citing police sources. The Special Cell of the Delhi Police apprehended Gandhi.

The Indians continue to provide a reminder that reliance on competent police agencies, which have inherent legal authority to make arrests, represents an alternative strategy for dealing with terrorists, Treating terrorists as law breakers preserves a democracy’s moral high ground and keeps it true to its own principles, compared to reliance on the armed forces or intelligence services which have no legal authority to make arrests and no training or experience in law enforcement without martial law.

The point is democracies have many ways to protect themselves. It’s a study in democracy.
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

‘IM men accused of UP blasts hiding in Nepal’
Sources said telephone intercepts helped in getting information that indicated their presence in Nepal, where Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence has provided them a safe haven.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Interesting to note how this Nepal thing will play out..

Will we finally grow some b@lls and have some actual covert and meaningful action or will we go running to US to get Nepal to accept our dossier? :roll:
Javee
BRF Oldie

Post by Javee »

The industry is in shock after a senior executive was attacked and killed in Coimbatore, by the workers at his company - allegedly under Naxal influence.

On Tuesday, IIM alumnus Joy George paid the price for continuing labour unrest at Pricol, one of the country's biggest auto component manufacturers. George, who was Vice President for Human Resources at the company, was attacked after 42 workers were sacked on disciplinary grounds. Sources claim that local goons were also involved in the attack.

In a sign of how pre-meditated the killing was, workers switched off security cameras at their factory before the attack. The executive died after repeatedly being hit on the head with iron rods. 12 workers have been arrested for the murder so far.

The management claim workers are being incited by a local union. "A majority of our workers do not support this CPI (Maoist) led union.
After this incident our workers are scared to report to work. It's really worrisome that this is the state of one of the country's oldest engineering companies. But the government and the police officials have promised us all possible support to wade over the crisis," says Vijay Mohan, CMD, Pricol.

Pricol has been battling labour problems for more than two years. One of the oldest industrial houses of Coimbatore, Pricol is now planning to move its operations to other states. The killing of Joy George has sent shivers down the spine of companies in this industrial town.

Other companies in Tamil Nadu too have witnessed recent labour strikes, as Hyundai, MRF and Shanti Gears. Industry associations say that investments in Coimbatore and in other parts of the state will take a hit if trade unions are not controlled.

"This incident will definitely affect the industries in Coimbatore. Of late many foreign companies and companies from up north have shown keen interest in investing in Coimbatore. But such incidents will make them think twice before investing," says Swaminathan, Chairman of the Confederation of Indian Industries for the Southern Region.

George's killing is not a one off incident. Ironically on the same date last year, agitating workers killed Lalit Kishore Choudhary, CEO of an Italian company in Noida. With the recession bottoming out and investments starting to flow in, widespread labour unrest is India Inc's worst nightmare.
http://www.ndtv.com/news/india/industri ... l_nadu.php
Unbelievable, the effing red's are here, I hope this is solved then and there. :evil:
Avinash R
BRFite

Post by Avinash R »

^ Bloody thirsty maoist thugs; after drinking blood of scores of innocent from wb to ap they have set their evil eyes on tn. Police should teach the maoists a lesson, if not the people will.
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

Maoist torture cry- Lawyer claims rebel detained illegally
Suspected Maoist leader Khobad Ghandy was tortured for three days and three nights before being officially arrested and produced before a magistrate, his lawyer claimed today.

Rajesh Tyagi said Intelligence Bureau (IB) officials picked his client up on September 17 and detained him illegally for four days before handing him over to the police’s special cell on September 21.

IB officials allegedly refused to let Ghandy, 58, sleep even when he pleaded he had a cardiac problem. The day he was handed over to the police, his hands were tied to a table and he was asked to sleep in that position, Tyagi alleged.
The lawyer claimed Ghandy was picked up outside Sitaram Bhartia Hospital, where he had come for treatment, by six IB men and bundled into a Sumo before being driven to a safe house on Delhi’s outskirts.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

A guy who beheads chickens to let his friends get used to blood shouldnt be worried about some of his blood being spilt by evil capiltalists...

Hope that above news is true...Something tells me this guy will be out within a year.
Kakkaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakkaji »

Swapan Dasgupta's take in dailypioneer.com. My apologies if already posted:

Absolving Maoists of their crimes
Swapan Dasgupta

In the late-1960s and early-1970s, it was not unusual to hear about young men and women from privileged backgrounds breaking off ties with their families, catching a train to some god-forsaken place in Bihar and then going “underground”. When I joined Delhi’s St Stephen’s College, unquestionably a citadel of both excellence and privilege, in 1972, there were many who viewed all imports from Calcutta as potentially suspect and contaminated with the Naxalite virus. After all, too many bright sparks had abruptly disappeared into the countryside in search of the class war that would finally liberate India and elevate China’s Chairman into “our Chairman”.

Mercifully, such puerile manifestations of impatience with the old order yielded little fruit. The majority of those who packed a pair of jeans and tried to persuade poor peasants that they should hack the local landlord into pieces and feed the jackals, returned dejected and traumatised. Most of them had done nothing really purposeful during their “underground” stint but there were a few who had taken the perverted prophet Charu Mazumdar at face value. Some had indeed killed hapless traffic policemen, ageing vice-chancellors and third-rung politicians.

These amateur criminals posed a problem both for their parents and those in charge of stamping out the Naxalite movement. Fortunately there is one law for the aam aadmi and one law for those who have connections. Thanks to an astonishing show of flexibility by the authorities, the PLU murderers were given a way out. Their parents were advised to send the deviants to a foreign country and make sure they didn’t return in a hurry. Most never did. The US in particular hosts a large number of law-abiding people of Indian origin who were banished from the mother country for heinous crimes. In the old days, criminals in England were transported to Australia and French criminals suffered on Devil’s Island. Four decades ago, we sent off our political criminals to taste life in the heartlands of capitalism. It was the most agreeable punishment devised by an otherwise brutal state.

Needless to say, this punishment was reserved for some. The Indian state came down hard on the less fortunate. Few of them have lived to reflect on their misguided past.

The ones who went “underground” for a lark returned to their normal lives after hunger and dysentery overwhelmed their Maoism. The few who were truly agonised over the plight of the poor joined the Human Rights and Civil Liberties groups. It was a prudent change of tack since these bodies have been generously funded by angst-ridden Europeans (if only to show that India is at the core a rotten Third World country) and have evolved into overground service centres for every conceivable group that is waging war on the Indian state. In hindsight, Charu Mazumdar’s investment in the brat pack of the 1960s has paid off. Today, in the guise of protecting civil liberties, they operate as ideological covers for any group that wants the disintegration of India.

It is necessary to provide a background to the contrived tear-jerking that is being witnessed in the English-language media over the arrest of one Kobad Ghandhy, an ideologue and Politburo member of the outlawed CPI(Maoist). Normally, the arrest of a senior Maoist leader doesn’t lead to every cub reporter shedding tears. But Ghandhy’s advantage is that he came from a rich Bombay family, went to Doon School, bummed around London in the 1970s, was a leading light of the Human Rights industry and, finally, went “underground” to service a group of armed murderers. Of course, Ghandhy has probably never killed someone personally or planted one of those deadly mines that have led to the deaths of policemen and para-military forces in Chhattisgarh. For that matter, he was probably never personally around when his comrades turfed poor Adivasis out of their homes for the crime of refusing to acknowledge the power of the Red Flag. No, or so the argument goes, Ghandhy was a good man because he felt for the poor, spoke good English and had eschewed his inheritance. He was a good man because he cut a romantic figure.

The campaign to paint a halo around Ghandhy has begun in right earnest. In time, we may even witness countless intellectuals and even Nobel Prize winners sign petitions calling for his release, perhaps on medical grounds. It is even possible that an orchestrated campaign may lead to the courts ordering his release on bail on compassionate grounds — the paediatrician Binayak Sen was granted bail on grounds of ill health. But does a spirited campaign by bleeding hearts necessarily absolve Ghandhy?

A man who occupied a top leadership position of an outlawed organisation that has assaulted the sovereignty of the Indian state cannot claim with any degree of credibility that he was oblivious of the military wing of his party. The armed struggle is an integral part of the CPI(Maoist) and its military operations have been sanctioned by the political leadership. Obviously, Ghandhy may be unaware of the operational details of the arson, murder and extortion in the deep forests of central India. But these operations have been sanctioned by people like him. His supporters cannot whitewash his culpability.

The law doesn’t make a distinction between those who can speak English and those who are better versed in the vernacular. Over the past two years, many of the so-called ideologues of the Students Islamic Movement have been arrested. They preached the idea of jihad and motivated many earnest Muslim youth to kill innocent people for the sake of a larger cause. But these ideologues never actually carried out the bombings; they left it to the more daring and resourceful.

If Ghandhy is to be released, the top leadership of SIMI (also a banned outfit) should be feted by Human Rights-wallahs in five-star hotels and invited to meaningful seminars underwritten by the European Union. Would that be a sign of India’s enlightenment or India’s stupidity?
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Good Covert Operation by WB STF

Lalgarh siege mastermind held

Kolkata, Sep 26, DH News Service:

Security forces operating in Lalgarh to flush out armed Maoists tasted a major success when Chatradhar Mahato, the elusive leader who had been spearheading the tribal agitation in the trouble-torn Lalgarh in West Midnapore district, finally fell to the police dragnet, West Bengal home secretary Ardhendu Sen confirmed here on Saturday.

Mahato, the brain behind the agitating People’s Committee Against Police Atrocities (PCAPA) in Lalgarh and the surrounding region, was about to give an interview to a sleuth from the Special Task Force of the Kolkata police who posed as a foreign journalist (Anirban Roy) at Pirka near Lalgarh when forces surrounded him. A surprised Mahato gave up without any resistance shortly after 2 pm on Saturday, police said.

Mahato was immediately whisked away to the West Midnapore district police headquarters where he was interrogated for about a couple of hours. According to the latest reports, he might be brought to the city later for detailed quizzing at the CID headquarters here.

The PCAPA leader who was being trailed by the sleuths since early June, had been constantly changing his hideouts.

Veil of secrecy

“Even tracing his location by tracking his mobile proved elusive as he was always cautioned by the tribals about the arrival of cops,” a source told Deccan Herald here. After making several aborted attempts, sleuths keenly observed Mahato’s penchant for talking to the media and accordingly, a trap was laid and secrecy was maintained throughout the operation.

The tribal leader, who had been giving regular interviews to local television news channels when the anti-Maoist operations by Central para-military forces and the state police began at Lalgarh on June 19, had gone underground shortly afterwards. Reacting to his arrest, the APDR (Association for Protection of Democratic Rights) condemned the police for using the “veil” of a journalist and exhorted the media to express its resentment against the cops for “faking this media interview.”
Impressive work by the STF...

The GoI seems to have made up its mind to go after the red murderers.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Guys whats up with the sons of BJP leaders being killed by the Maoists? Babulal Marandi lost his son, a couple of days ago a BJP MP lost his son
Chhattisgarh MP's son shot dead by Maoists
Pranav
BRF Oldie

Post by Pranav »

Predictably, "intellectuals" are protesting over the Mahato arrest: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/news ... 063496.cms
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

rkirankr
BRFite

Post by rkirankr »

Pranav wrote:Predictably, "intellectuals" are protesting over the Mahato arrest: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/news ... 063496.cms
More news for "intellectuals" to protest
http://indiatoday.intoday.in/site/Story ... +case.html
pgbhat
BRF Oldie

Post by pgbhat »

20,000 cops forced to serve retired IPS, IAS officers :roll:
The diversion of the force for domestic duties has become a serious issue in Bihar and Jharkhand. There's now a severe scarcity of police for law and order duties in these two states.

"We have asked our departments head to immediately look into the matter and strengthen the police picket posts,” added Jitender Singh.

The policemen were trained to counter crime and criminals but now about 20,000 of them have been reduced to the status of personal servants.

They are busy ferrying children to schools, carrying suitcases of their bosses and buying groceries for their homes. They do all household jobs except their assigned government duties.

Meanwhile, those they serve have been claiming that they deserve it.

Retired DGP of Jharkhand TP Sinha is entitled to two police personal but allegedly has more than eight jawans to his disposal.

“I don’t have any jawans from the Bihar police, even if I do, there is nothing wrong in it,” Sinha said.

As for the police, they don't have enough courage to act against their own bosses or former bosses.

This seems to be yet another case of law enforcers breaking the law.
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

Any news on the Dalits Human Rights Movement (DHRM), a new terror organisation which is believed to be active in Kerala?
AnimeshP
BRFite

Post by AnimeshP »

Three-time MP Subba not an Indian: CBI
Moni Kumar, former MP from Tezpur in Assam, is not an Indian citizen, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has told the Supreme Court.
Subba, a Congress deader, was the richest candidate in Assam during the Lok Sabha elections with cash, assets and investments worth more than Rs 60 crore.

IANS reports a public interest petition in January urged the Supreme Court to disqualify Subba because over the controversy over his nationality but it was rejected.

"The courts cannot unseat legislators," the apex court had said.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

The Court is right. He has to be impeached by the Lok Sabha.
Kati
BRFite

Post by Kati »

Nice cooperation by Hasina Govt....

From The Telegraph, Oct 2, 2009
Lashkar rebel

Dhaka (PTI): The top-most Lashkar-e-Toiba militant in Bangladesh, overseeing the group’s militant movements across the Indian border, was arrested on Wednesday. Emdadullah alias Mahbub, 28, who had sneaked into Bangladesh in 2006 after escaping from the custody of Bengal police, was also involved in smuggling bomb-making material across the border, police said.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

WB Government warns Mahato associates
The West Bengal government on Saturday sent out a strong warning to associates and supporters of Chhatradhar Mahato, convenor of the Police Santrash Birodhi Janasadharaner Committee (PSJBC), saying those supporting and associating themselves with him directly or indirectly were also liable to be punished under relevant sections of the law, including the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.