Arunachal Pradesh: A separate nation on Google Earth

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Re: Arunachal Pradesh: A separate nation on Google Earth

Post by Rahul M »

someone please check Andaman and Nicobar islands. to me GE says it's a part of indonesia !
Vinod Ji
BRFite

Post by Vinod Ji »

Bing made default search engine,g mail account closed and uninstalled chrome with the comment that all this is being done because of google earth showing wrong map.
surinder
BRFite

Post by surinder »

Yogi_G wrote:
surinder wrote:We recently got a globe. The intire state of Kashmir is shown as an independent country. Of course, Aksai Chin is solidly part of PRC, as is Taiwan. The Indian map looks wierd (like a headless person) without J&K. Wonder who made the globe?

Then I saw an atlas also which lists snippet summaries of countries. There is no summary for Taiwan, no population numbers etc. listed.

Welcome to Pax Sinica.
All made in China... :mrgreen:
Undoubtedly.

This globe they have put out, is an inadvertent image into their mind. They see India severely truncated.

It is time for India to growl like a tiger to silence these foxes!!!
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

So how many have terminated their google e-mail account and stopped using google search engine? And informed the company.
muraliravi
BRF Oldie

Post by muraliravi »

microsoft is no better, even they show arunachal with a dotted line. GOI should issue a stern warning to these companies who have too much at stake in india to change their policy or face action.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

ramana wrote:So how many have terminated their google e-mail account and stopped using google search engine? And informed the company.
I have not terminated google email accounts. It has not been easy like my boycott of CNN. But I uninstalled Chrome; and mentioned that it was a sign of protest regarding the AP map. I have one more machine on which I have Chrome. It gives me one more opportunity to uninstall and inform the company.

Meanwhile, anybody know what the area is?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Good job SwamyG. You always do follow up words with action.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Google chrome is useless as it is. Half of the websites I visit say that the browser is unsupported anyway.
But yes I have stopped using gmail.
Javee
BRF Oldie

Post by Javee »

google.com has MKG's image on the homepage (it says Birthday of Mohan Das Karamchand Gandhi)

I was actually using Bing from the morning after reading the thread and wanted to compare some results with google, so switched back.

I un-installed chrome right after installing it, didnt like it, Opera 10 is far better, next comes Firefox/IE
Bhaskar
BRFite

Post by Bhaskar »

Google is Anti India - boycott Google

I am switching to bing

Edit : just noticed, both Bing and Google have the same border line on Arunachal Pradesh. I think these companies would have sat down and talked about the disputed areas and reach an agreement on them. Maybe they just decided that Indians are wimps and won't do anything. On the other hand, the chinese will threaten for a war on this...

Did anyone wonder why Arunachal Pradesh, which everyone claims of being a part of India except China, which considers it to a disputed territory, is shown as another country and on the same hand, Tibet is shown as an integral part of China...

Another Edit : Search "Siachen Glacier" in Google Maps. For Google, Siachen Glacier is a part of Pakistan.
But, the status of Siachen Glacier is that it is "Claimed in full by India and Pakistan. India presently controls all of the Siachen Glacier itself, including all tributary glaciers."
ashish raval
BRFite

Post by ashish raval »

Can GoI block Google access on the issue ? surely India is a big market for them to make change !!
ashish raval
BRFite

Post by ashish raval »

^^ can anyone compile all the anomalies and publish a petition online to be send to GoI to slap a fine on these companies or get banned.
I my small effort I have emailed PMO office on the issue (if they read it).
manju
BRFite

Post by manju »

some random thoughts that I have been thinking for some time now

- Most maps in the world (toys, globes...kids book) etc are made in china and so they control how the maps looks. I have found them even in Bhaarath.
- I grew up with a maps with all of kasmir (including the disputed areas) as part of Bhaarath.. So my threshold to let those parts go is very high. I think the current generation will get used to seeing maps without those disputed areas as part of Bhaarath.. The collective memory and threshold of future generations (future babu, neta, jawan, praja, etc) to let go of these areas will be much lower.. So we need to control the message- i.e the kinds of maps/globes, etc that the youth/children grow up with.

- For example when I visited my shcool in Mysore (Ramakrishna Mission) I saw a huge world map-probably 9 feet wide and 4 feet tall) published by National Geographic. It was stuck to the wall near the notice boards so that the students get to see it often and get familiar with the geography. I thought that was a great idea. The SORE point, in my opinion, is that whole of Kashmir is not shown as part of Bhaarath.. The disputed areas are cut off from J and K. This map was not there when I was in school in early ninteys... I wonder what impression this has on the school kids? I offered to buy a new map- equally good one if they replaced it with J and K fully shown as part of Bhaarath... I have been lazy and have not followed up.

If any of you know of a equally nice or better (than the National Geogrpahic published) map please do let me know. I will purchase it and have it replaced. So far I have not come across one that is equally good (must say I have not tried hard enough).

It just occured to me a few months back - one of those moments when new thoughts just strike you.. I was looking a the world map and realised that the deafult CENTER of the world in the maps is the PAN ATLANTAIC nations- USA and W Eurpose. We all grew up with that. I think this to some extent plays a role in conditioning - to make us believe that W Eurpoe and USA/Canada are the center or the Standard. It is high time we start publishing world maps where Bhaarath. is at the center.. hopefully this will have a poisitve impact on the next generation of Bhaaratiyas.
Karan Dixit
BRFite

Post by Karan Dixit »

I went over the executive list of Google and boy it had tons of Indian names in it. If Google had that many Chinese names in it, Google map would show entire world as Chinese territory. Shame on Indian executives who work for Google.
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

can we start a cause on facebook to boycott google?
Abhijeet
BRFite

Post by Abhijeet »

manju wrote:It just occured to me a few months back - one of those moments when new thoughts just strike you.. I was looking a the world map and realised that the deafult CENTER of the world in the maps is the PAN ATLANTAIC nations- USA and W Eurpose. We all grew up with that. I think this to some extent plays a role in conditioning - to make us believe that W Eurpoe and USA/Canada are the center or the Standard. It is high time we start publishing world maps where Bhaarath. is at the center.. hopefully this will have a poisitve impact on the next generation of Bhaaratiyas.
World maps in East Asia - I've seen this specifically in Japan and South Korea - have East Asia in the center. The edge of the map then neatly cuts through the Atlantic, just as the Greenwich-centered maps cut through the Pacific.

Nothing stops Indian companies from putting out maps with India in the center, but they won't. Why blame foreign companies?
Nandu
BRF Oldie

Post by Nandu »

Abhijeet wrote:
World maps in East Asia - I've seen this specifically in Japan and South Korea - have East Asia in the center. The edge of the map then neatly cuts through the Atlantic, just as the Greenwich-centered maps cut through the Pacific.

Nothing stops Indian companies from putting out maps with India in the center, but they won't. Why blame foreign companies?
Nothing stops? How about the fact that you will have to cut through the middle of a large and important continental mass to make such a map?

India is already at the center of most maps, whether they use the Pacific or the Atlantic as the dividing line. As near to the center as it can be.
sanjaychoudhry
BRFite

Post by sanjaychoudhry »

just noticed, both Bing and Google have the same border line on Arunachal Pradesh. I think these companies would have sat down and talked about the disputed areas and reach an agreement on them.
It is the US State Deptt. directing these companies on geo-political content to serve US interests. On their own, Bing and Google can't distinguish their arse from their elbow on Arunachal border. All US companies will carry the same map as directions are coming from a central source. US government influences the priority of organic listings on Google search too.

The "free media" in "house of democracy" is being prostituted by the "leader of the free world," with the "free media" bending far over with pleasure.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

Gents, whatever we do, ultimately the posture paid attention to by corporations like Google is the one coming from our government.

Yes, the Chinese are able to mobilize their overseas private citizens swiftly and with great force, to boycott this that and the other. For example, the PR blitz conducted by the Free Tibet people during the Olympic Torch run last year, was countered with admirable organization. Every rally of Tibetan supporters was confronted with another rally of Lal-Jhanda waving Chinese. Every corporation noticed because you couldn't help but notice.

But all that mobilization was effective only because it was in the context of a PRC government that said "Tibet is ours and that's IT!" The PRC government doesn't tolerate even the slightest contradiction to a one-China policy anywhere, in any media. The slightest suggestion of that sort of thing is met with forceful rhetoric, all the more forceful because the PRC WILL back their threats up with action if provoked. If Google showed an independent Tibet, Google would not be accessible in China. End of story.

The mobilization of non-resident (and even resident) Chinese in displays of nationalist opinion is significant ONLY insofar as the policies of the government they're mobilizing in support of. That's all.

Now in spite of all the brave thoughts we might have about boycotting Google, and the faithful actions we might take as individuals (or even loosely organized groups such as on BRF), I honestly don't believe it makes any difference because these Corporations know how India is onlee.

The GOI is apologetic about even thinking of Tibet as not being a part of China, and makes its apologies loudly in public. It has made parliamentary resolutions on J&K but has allowed even Pakistan... to say nothing of China... to sit on half of J&K for about half a century (possession = 9/10 of the law, anyone?) They do not say an audible word even when Pakistan happily renames and restructures northern POK as "Gilgit Baltistan", a de-facto and de-jure annexation.

The GOI was diffident about allowing Tibetan protests in its own capital city because of Chinese pressure before the Olympics, and pleads incessantly with the Dalai Lama not to do anything too "provocative". When Japan, Australia, and a bunch of ASEAN nations sided with China on the ADB vote regarding Arunachal, the GOI did... nothing. Let's see if GOI will even go ahead with allowing the Dalai Lama to visit that "integral part of India", Arunachal Pradesh.

In this context, what are the Indian people? The 1 crore pillars of this great and self effacing democracy?

Nothing. Under the Government that rules us, we are Nothing.

We have titans of industry who will do anything to prevent the GOI from taking issue with any economically powerful government no matter how badly they treat India, because of what provocation might do to profit margins. We have dil-chahta-hai college kids who would use Google day and night to search for nude pictures of Rakhee Sawant or whoever, even if Google shows the entire Northeast as belonging to Bangladesh. We have the unsung, uncountable masses of poor who couldn't care less about how any map was depicted as long as the zoning laws allowed them to retain their jhopadpattis through one more rainy season.

And all of these mighty one crore democratically empowered people... ALL of them, or near enough to all as matters... will vote, again and again and again, for the same spineless GOI that is content to keep things more or less the way they are. And to keep apologizing for them.

For us to boycott Google because of its displaying Arunachal Pradesh as "disputed territory", is like trying to put a band-aid on a loved one who has been run over by a truck. A touching gesture, but little else of significance. Save your money and donate to IDRF, or to jawans' benefit funds instead. At least something will be accomplished.
Abhijeet
BRFite

Post by Abhijeet »

Nandu wrote:
Abhijeet wrote:

Nothing stops? How about the fact that you will have to cut through the middle of a large and important continental mass to make such a map?

India is already at the center of most maps, whether they use the Pacific or the Atlantic as the dividing line. As near to the center as it can be.
I assume you have never seen maps made in the US with the US in the center. The fact that such maps cut directly through "a large and important continental landmass" (Asia) doesn't seem to bother them.

Because India is pretty much on the other side of the world from the US, in US-centric maps, the Indian Northeast is one side of the map and the rest of India on the other. The map slices them neatly in two.

And India is nowhere close to the center of either Greenwich-centered or East Asia-centered maps. In the case of US-centered maps, as I mentioned above, it's even worse.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

>>>>Save your money and donate to IDRF,
Folks, in USA, just like a company matches an employees contribution to 401K, there are companies that match (not necessarily 1:1) employees contribution to charity organizations. Please utilize that too. I just did yesterday to IDRF. Talk to your HR.
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

Folks,

The answer to your question on why Jammu & Kashmir is not included in the map representing India is probably here:

Delhi upset over separate Chinese visas for Kashmiris

Siddharth Varadarajan

New Delhi: In a move that has puzzled and annoyed South Block, the Chinese embassy in New Delhi has begun issuing visas to Indian passport holders from Jammu and Kashmir on a separate sheet of paper rather than stamping them in their passports as is the norm with other Indian citizens. Though it is not clear when the new Chinese policy started or what prompted Beijing to adopt it, immigration authorities at Delhi airport first started noticing the standalone visas a few weeks ago. The Bureau of Immigration, which is run by the Ministry of Home Affairs, initially assumed these visas to be fake and turned the unfortunate travellers – all of them Kashmiri students or businessmen – away. But when some of them returned with letters from the Chinese embassy declaring the visas to be genuine, the matter was referred to the Ministry of External Affairs.

With the Chinese issuing “stapled visas” to the handful of Indian passport holders from Arunachal Pradesh who have travelled to China since 2007, the MEA saw in Beijing’s latest move an attempt to question the status of Jammu and Kashmir. The immigration authorities were told to treat any visa that is not stamped on a passport as invalid for the purposes of travel. Simultaneously, the issue was taken up with the Chinese authorities, MEA officials told The Hindu.

Although the People’s Republic of China embassy in Delhi said it would not officially comment on the matter, Chinese diplomats told The Hindu that the practice of issuing visas on a separate piece of paper is not new. “This kind of visa is one category of Chinese visa. It is valid. This has been practised for many years. Upon the implementation of this, a note was sent to your immigration authorities. All the visa holders of this kind have not met any problem in the past in your custom/border control,” an embassy official said on condition of anonymity.

The MEA denies the contention that India has only now started objecting to some pre-existing Chinese practice of issuing Kashmiri domicile passport holders visas on a separate sheet of paper. “What the Chinese are doing is definitely new and we have taken a serious view of it,” an MEA official said.
VikB
BRFite

Post by VikB »

Last Sunday went to Taj in Mumbai for the final of Tata Crucible. The host - Giri Balasubramaniam of Greycaps company showed the places the contest went to - on a map that showed POK not part of India.

Action taken - 1. Giri written a mail telling strongly of reservations. 2. The Tata Sons representative spoken to and told to remove it atleast in the TV coverage (CNBC). Dont know if that was done.

One of our BRFite - Nikhil is planning to launch an NGO. He will put the idea up soon. We can incorporate - keeping the respect (maryada) of this country high at all places - as one of the charters. I forsee myself on a dharna with other BRFites in front of Google office in Bangalore. What is the opinion of others?
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Karan Dixit wrote:I went over the executive list of Google and boy it had tons of Indian names in it. If Google had that many Chinese names in it, Google map would show entire world as Chinese territory. Shame on Indian executives who work for Google.
The GoI has given no indication that they care enough about these things. most of these companies are basing their maps on the UN maps by the Cartographic section of the UN. You'll notice that this department of the UN, curiously enough, does not publish similar maps for China. I do not think this is a coincidence. Which pretty much means that the GoI is perfectly okay with the way things are, because it does not see fit to lean on the United Nations to get similar treatment.
VikB
BRFite

Post by VikB »

VikB wrote:Last Sunday went to Taj in Mumbai for the final of Tata Crucible. The host - Giri Balasubramaniam of Greycaps company showed the places the contest went to - on a map that showed POK not part of India.

Update - Giri clarifys that the outer boundary at POK was 'embossed' and under the arc lights it became invisible. For all future use, the emboss has been removed.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

As per the tamil newspaper, Dinamalar; AP is shown differently by Google. The first one is as seen in India, the second is as seen in America and the last one as seen in China. {URLs posted by the newspapers}
For people who can read tamil here is the link to the article: http://www.dinamalar.com/topnewsdetail.asp?news_id=1583
Here is a gist that captures the sentiments of the article (it is not a word by word translation.)
In the current days when China claims AP is part of China, Google Inc. is deceiving Indians. A country's map needs to be portrayed consistently irrespective of from where one views the map. Google is hurting Indian's sentiments by these maps. People trust Google as much as they trust Gita, Koran or Bible; and trust the content/searches provided by Google. Google by portraying Kashmir and AP as disputed territories shows how it changes its colors as per its needs; thereby deceiving people. We encourage the readers to contact google: press@google.com
suraj p
BRFite -Trainee

Post by suraj p »

Folks it is not just Arunachal or Aksai-chin.

I dont know how many of your use Google-Earth. Zoom in now the entire northern borders of India are marked RED.
I never knew India and China have different opinions on border along Himachal,Uttarakhand and SouthJ&K border.
Look at Israel's borders too.

Google for sure like to kiss mulla's or chinks ....

Damn google.

Dinamalar@
Contact press@google.com

Do you remember when 1/10 of India sent e-mails to Dr. Venky Ramakrishnan congratulating him on his Nobel win.
He wrote to TOI how he suffered because millions of e-mails blocking MRC/MBL e-mail servers.
I wonder how much load press@google.com takes if 1/10th of India responds to this partiality.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Well it is just not Google, even Microsoft is on the same bandwagon. Please do check Bing Maps.
vipins
BRFite

Post by vipins »

Warning to Nat Geo over map
The government has issued a warning to National Geographic TV channel for the incorrect representation of the Indian map with regard to J&K in one of its programmes.
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

Cannot find India-China thread! posting here:

http://www.livemint.com/2010/01/0720494 ... again.html
If reports are anything to go by, India has quietly reduced its borrowing under a loan from the Asian Development Bank (ADB) for projects in 2010. The original loan amount of $2.7 billion has been reduced to $1.6 billion. This has been done at India’s insistence.

Whats wrong with GoI?
sreeji
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sreeji »

By making the ADB give us a loan for development in Arunachal Pradesh, Chankian India has made a case that it accepted by everyone as a part of India. Reducing loan amt means nothing. Especially with the recent statements from Gen. Deepak Kapoor, India is defenitely not caving in to china.
SandeepA
BRFite

Post by SandeepA »

I have just uninstalled Google Chrome and Google earth from both my laptops with a note that this is to mark my protest against Google's mapping policy with regard to India.
Gmail will be the tougher choice but heck I may just do it too this weekend
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

I will not be boycotting Google because it is a necessary and invaluable tool for me. But why single out Google anyway? Look at any map or atlas that is not published in India. Pretty much every damn map in the World, including official UN and western maps, show J&K, AP and many other parts as either part of TSP, China or as disputed. If the GoI is OK with this, why not me?

Until GoI formally warns every publisher, including Google, the USA, UK and the UN, and backs it up with a credible threat, we will continue to have our faces rubbed in the mud. Thank you GoI.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Nearly 6 months after this thread was started, this news has reached the mainstream media. Saw it on Times Now last night

http://www.timesnow.tv/Googles-3-versio ... 336597.cms
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

Similar fate on another issue,
LOK SABHA
UNSTARRED QUESTION NO. 1243
TO BE ANSWERED ON 30.11.2005

1243. SHRI DALPAT SINGH PARSTE

Will the PRIME MINISTER be pleased to state: a) whether Google has shown PoK as part of Pakistan in its maps as reported in the Times of India dated October 22, 2005; b) if so, whether the Government of India has sent any official protest to Google in this regard; c) if so, the details thereof; and d) if not, the reasons therefor?

ANSWER THE MINISTER OF STATE IN THE MINISTRY OF EXTERNAL AFFAIRS (RAO INDERJIT SINGH)

a) Yes Sir;
b) Yes Sir;
c) A letter has been sent to the Chairman of the Executive Committee and CEO of Google Inc. drawing attention to the wrong depiction of India's boundaries. The Indian Embassy in Washington has also been instructed to take up the matter with Google Inc.;
d) Not applicable.
We will have to wait for some Hon'ble MP for the followup question(s).
LOK SABHA
UNSTARRED QUESTION NO. 5210
TO BE ANSWERED ON 30.04.2008

DR. THOKCHOM MEINYA:
Will the Minister of EXTERNAL AFFAIRS be pleased to state:

(a) whether the website of UNAIDS carries a distorted map of India;
(b) if so, the details thereof;
(c) whether the matter has been taken up with the concerned organization; and
(d) if so, the outcome thereof?

ANSWER THE MINISTER OF EXTERNAL AFFAIRS(SHRI PRANAB MUKHERJEE)
(a) – (d) The India country page on the website of the UNAIDS (the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS) carried a map of India which did not show the northern and southern parts of the country. The Permanent Mission of India to the Offices of the United Nations, Geneva, took up the matter with the Secretariat of the UNAIDS. The issue has been rectified and the entire map of India, along with the standard disclaimer used by the United Nations that the boundaries, names and designations shown on the map do not imply official endorsement or acceptance by the United Nations, is now posted on the India country page of the UNAIDS website.
RAJYA SABHA
UNSTARRED QUESTION NO. 1078
TO BE ANSWERED ON 08.03.2007

SHRI M. V. MYSURA REDDY:

(a) whether Government are aware of the fact that world maps and globes showing Kashmir and Arunachal Pradesh as integral part and territory of China are being sold and circulated in China;
(b) if so, whether Government have taken any efforts/measures to rectify the same; and
(c) if so, the details of action/efforts/measures taken by Government?

ANSWER THE MINISTER OF EXTERNAL AFFAIRS(SHRI PRANAB MUKHERJEE)

(a) Yes.
(b)-(c) Government have conveyed to the Chinese side that Jammu and Kashmir and Arunachal Pradesh are integral parts of India. India and China are also engaged in discussions to arrive at a fair, reasonable and mutually acceptable solution to the boundary question at an early date.
RAJYA SABHA
UNSTARRED QUESTION NO. 1029
TO BE ANSWERED ON 2.3.2006

1029 SHRI MOTILAL VORA:

Will the PRIME MINSITER be pleased to state:

(a) whether it is a fact that Maoists residing in the Nepalese territory have shown a large area of Indian land adjoining Nepal border as a part of Nepal;
(b) if so, the reaction of Government thereon; and
(c) the steps taken by Government in this regard so far?

ANSWER THE MINISTER OF STATE IN THE MINISTRY OF EXTERNAL AFFAIRS (SHRI E. AHAMED)

(a) to (c)
There are no reports suggesting that Nepali Maoists have been showing in maps a large area of Indian land adjoining Nepal border as a part of Nepal. However, the Government is aware of reports that the Communist Party of Nepal (Maoist) have raised the issue of alleged Indian occupation of some Nepali territory, including Kalapani in some of their meetings.

The boundary between the two countries continues to be as primarily established on the basis of the Treaty of Sugauli of 1815 and the subsequent Memorandum of 1816 as amended and confirmed by the Treaty of 1860 between the British Indian government and His Majesty's Government of Nepal (HMGN).
UNSTARRED QUESTION NO. 511
TO BE ANSWERED ON 24.07.2003

SHRI RAMA MUNI REDDY SIRIGIREDDY

(a) the number of Indian maps wrongly depicted by various publications abroad and examined by the Policy Planning and Research Division of his Ministry during the last three years, year-wise;
(b) the number of cases of incorrect depiction of the Indian map registered during the last three years, year-wise; and
(c) the rectifications that have been carried out in the wrong maps?

ANSWER THE MINISTER OF STATE IN THE MINISTRY OF EXTERNAL AFFAIRS (SHRI VINOD KHANNA)
(a)(b)&(c)According to the information available with the Ministry of External Affairs, given below is the break-up of the maps published during the last three years which do not depict India’s external boundaries correctly:-

Year Number of instances
2000 Four
2001 One
2002 Two
2003 One

All these maps were examined in the Policy Planning and Research Division. As per the existing practice in this regard, the concerned Indian Mission/Post was asked to take up this issue with the concerned publishers/agencies and to impress upon them not to repeat these distortions/discrepancies in their future publications.
UNSTARRED QUESTION NO 437
TO BE ANSWERED ON 23.07.2003

SHRI RAM VILAS PASWAN:
SHRI RAMJIVAN SINGH:
SHRI DINESH CHANDRA YADAV:

Will the Minister of EXTERNAL AFFAIRS be pleased to stated:-

(a) Whether government are aware of the new territorial map which has been brought out by USA in respect of the State of Jammu and Kashmir;
(b) if so, the changes, if any, identified by the Government in the said territorial map;
(c) the political implications involved as a consequence thereof; and
(d) the reaction of the Government thereto?

ANSWER THE MINISTER OF STATE IN THE MINISTRY OF EXTERNAL AFFAIRS (SHRI VINOD KHANNA)

(a) Yes. Map of India incorrectly depicting the boundary of the State of Jammu and Kashmir which had been brought out by a US agency was briefly available on agency’s website and has since been withdrawn.
(b)(c)&(d) Government of India only recognise the maps brought out by the designated agency Survey of India. The maps published by other publishers & agencies have no legal effect on India’s boundaries and territorial integrity as these are not accepted, adopted, recognized or acquiesced in by the Government of India.
SHRI SUSHIL KUMAR SHINDE

(a) whether a map showing Aksai-Chin as part of China has been published as reported in the Indian Express dated July 9, 2001;
(b) if so, the facts of the matter reported therein; and
(c) the Government's reaction thereto?

ANSWER
THE MINISTER OF EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
(SHRI OMAR ABDULLAH)

(a): Yes, Sir.
(b)-(c): The map does not accurately reflect the external boundary of India.
SHRI JAGDAMBI PRASAD YADAV:

Will the Minister of External Affairs be pleased to state:-

(a) the foreign institutions involved in publishing maps showing part of our country as a part of other countries and the time since when such practices are going on;
(b) the action taken by our country in this regard so far and the results thereof?

Answer
The Minister of State for External Affairs
(Shri Ajit Kumar Panja)

(a) A list of foreign institutions involved in publishing wrong maps of India as per available records is placed below. Such practices have been going on since Independence and the start of our border disputes with certain neighbouring countries.
(b) Once such cases are brought to our notice, the matter is immediately taken up with the publishers through our Missions abroad.

List of Foreign Institutions involved in publishing wrong maps of India
1. M/s Peter Justesen, Denmark.
2. Saint Paul Minnesota, U.S.A.
3. "Encyclopedia of the 20th Century" published by Facts on file, Inc. U.S.A.
4. Singapore magazine, Singapore.
5. Timelife Books, Amsterdom.
6. Houghton Mifflin Company, Spain.
7. The Macmillan Press Ltd., London, U.K.
8. CNNI Telecast, U.S.A.
9. Cornhill Publications, Hong Kong.
10. Business Day Newspaper, South Africa.
11. George Philip Ltd, London, U.K.
12. M/s Columbus Press, U.K.
13. M/s Amerind Distributions, U.K.
14. International Youth Hostel Federations, England.
15. Sounders College, U.S.A.
16. The British Times, Ireland.
17. B.B.C. London, U.K.
18. Oxford University Press, Karachi, Pakistan.
19. M/s Archies Gallery, Switzerland.
20. Pakistan Times, Pakistan.
21. M/s Jeppesen Co. of Germany.
22. Medicine Publishing Company, U.K.
23. Grolier Multimedia Encyclopedia, France.
24. Vietnam Times, Vietnam.
25. Indian Association, Sharjah, Dubai.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Victor: I recently bought Oxford Atlas; I was glad to see AP in India. PoK and Akshai Chin are out of the country though. If I am not mistaken National Geographic shows AP within India too.
vishwakarmaa
BRFite

Post by vishwakarmaa »

Oxford is not written by some God.

And guys, please stop pretending that Goras are some Gods. They have their own interests. So its perfectly fine if Google is creatings tensions between two neighbours.

Well that's what they do worldwide. Nothing new.

Arunachal Pradesh was not disputed 10 years back. But thanks to smart propoganda by Google, now world will see Arunachal Pradesh as disputed region.

So, our American friends have gifted us a new problem. The so-called Democratic ally(USA) declaring democratic AP as disputed. :roll:
Jarita
BRF Oldie

Post by Jarita »

^^^ Fault is ours. We can just as easily turn the tables if we so want to
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

vishwakarmaa wrote:Oxford is not written by some God.

And guys, please stop pretending that Goras are some Gods.
Nobody has considered other humans as gods, let alone people of any particular race. Your post is in poor taste, the very purpose of this thread is about highlighting the mistakes - unintentional or intentional.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Chinese iPhones show Arunachal as a part of China
Barely a week after the launch of the iPhone 4 in China, the country biggest mobile carrier China Unicom has revealed that it managed to sell 100,000 units of the device so far.

However, what is more interesting is the map application that the Chinese iPhone comes with. Screenshots from the Maps application used in the Chinese iPhone 4 show the Indian state of Arunachal Pradesh as a part of China.

The state is shown as a disputed territory in International versions of the map. However, it is a well known fact that Arunachal Pradesh is administered by India and even has a government in place there. iPhone 4 users are also not allowed to view international versions of popular map services that shows these disputed territories as not being a part of China. According to The Hindu, China has tightened its grip on map makers and surveyors to ensure that all map services display international borders that adhere to Chinese government's specifications.

That said, we do not think Apple is at fault here as it is being made out. The application that shows these controversial maps is made by Google and it uses Google's servers to download these maps. Now, depending on where you are with your smartphone (irrespective of the fact whether it's an iPhone or a Nokia N8), the maps would only display localized content. So, if you use any phone in China, on a Chinese network, Google Maps will show Arunachal as a part of their territory. If you want to check this, go to the Indian version of Google Maps where Arunachal is a part of India. In the International version, Arunachal is shown as a disputed territory. So, what we see here is just Google following the directives issued for displaying maps by these countries.