MRCA News and Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Re: MRCA News and Discussion

Post by shiv »

Just saw a MiG 35 landing.. :)
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Re: MRCA News and Discussion/ X Posting from Missile thread...

Post by SaiK »

sanjaychoudhry wrote:
India Likely to Test-Fire BrahMos Supersonic Missile in Dec
...The Indian Navy also wants that its second line of Project 75A submarines should have the capability of firing the BrahMos. The Navy had released the Request for Information (RFI) in September last year for acquiring six submarines as a follow-on order of the Scorpene submarines.

BrahMos has been developed jointly by India and Russia and has been inducted in the Army and Navy already. The IAF is also working on integrating the missile on its Su-30MKI air superiority aircraft.

The two countries have also signed an agreement for developing the hypersonic version of the missile, which currently flies at a speed of 2.8 mach.
http://news.outlookindia.com/item.aspx?667570
Now that is interesting having indo-russkie missile into a french vessel. The same could be followed for Rafale as well. Interesting times ahead, only if Rafale-IAF folks are thinking alike our IN and Scorpenes.

Rafale and EF2K needs lot more thread coverage than Mig35, imho. :wink:
anishns
BRFite

Post by anishns »

The MMRCA candidate would be aptly named "VISHKANYA" (Poison Lady) IMHO :twisted:

Sorry for my first and last OT post
Mahesh_R wrote:
shiv wrote:I am proposing the name "Velankanniamma" for the selected MRCA contender. The name reveals a hint of South and represents the secular character of our nation, as well as being a female name to highlight our respect for the mother figure.
I would like to propose the name as JHANSI...some how I like this name very much...gives the fighting spirit..
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

shiv wrote:Just saw a MiG 35 landing.. :)
Shiv sir where did you see the MiG 35 land??? Its just that i am gonna kick myself if the bird landed at bangalore today evening and i didn't take a photo..
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

Bala,

Please, please try to get a couple of good shots of the fulcrum, it'd be interesting to see what sort of changes, if any, were made to the 2 birds they are supposed to be sending.

I was surprised by the lack of fine imagery with the Rafale, an odds on favourite of the forum! Only the US birds got any meaningful coverage so far - come on lads lets get some pics for the others as well.

USS.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Pardon me for asking this but has the rafale already finished the user trials in india???
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Bala Vignesh wrote:Pardon me for asking this but has the rafale already finished the user trials in india???
must have been done by now!
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Re: MRCA News and Discussion/ X Posting from Missile thread...

Post by Kartik »

SaiK wrote: Now that is interesting having indo-russkie missile into a french vessel. The same could be followed for Rafale as well. Interesting times ahead, only if Rafale-IAF folks are thinking alike our IN and Scorpenes.

Rafale and EF2K needs lot more thread coverage than Mig35, imho. :wink:
read it carefully. It says for the Project 75A submarine line, not the Scorpene.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

I did review and googled before I posted..
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... ect-76.htm#
On 20 August 2008 it was reported that the Indian Navy's next order for seven submarines, a follow-on order to the six French-designed Scorpenes already under various stages of construction at French and Indian shipyards, will all be armed with the sub-surface version of the Indo-Russian supersonic BrahMos cruise missile. This was stated by Alexander Dergachev, chairman of board of directors of the BrahMos Aerospace joint-venture. Expressing the hope that the submarine order would be placed soon enough Dergachev said, "The missiles will be made for submarines of the Indian Navy. The nearest order is seven submarines. We do not know yet when exactly it is going to happen. I hope soon."

Initially 6 Scorpene will be built as part of Project-75 at the Mazagoan Dock, and later another 6 as part of Project-76. As part of 30 year submarine building program India plans on 24 subs of the SSK type. With 6 Scorpene plus 6 Project-76, the remaining 12-10 subs will be of an indigenous design, possibly displacing upwards of 3,000 tons, based on the best of what Scorpene and Amur has to offer. The additional six submarines will start joining the Indian Navy fleet after all the first set of six Scorpenes have joined the naval fleet.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

SaiK wrote:I did review and googled before I posted..
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... ect-76.htm#
On 20 August 2008 it was reported that the Indian Navy's next order for seven submarines, a follow-on order to the six French-designed Scorpenes already under various stages of construction at French and Indian shipyards, will all be armed with the sub-surface version of the Indo-Russian supersonic BrahMos cruise missile. This was stated by Alexander Dergachev, chairman of board of directors of the BrahMos Aerospace joint-venture. Expressing the hope that the submarine order would be placed soon enough Dergachev said, "The missiles will be made for submarines of the Indian Navy. The nearest order is seven submarines. We do not know yet when exactly it is going to happen. I hope soon."
Baldev
BRFite

Post by Baldev »

The Government of Egypt has requested sale of

• 24 F-16C/D Block 50/52 Aircraft installed with either the F100-PW-229 or F110-GE-129 Increased Performance Engines (IPE) and APG-68(V)9 radars

• 6 F100-PW-229 or F110-GE-129 IPE spare engines

• 6 APG-68(V)9 spare radar sets

• 60 LAU-129/A Common Rail Launchers;

• 28 AN/APX-113 Advanced Identification Friend or Foe (AIFF) Systems without Mode IV

• 28 M61 20mm Vulcan Cannons

Non-MDE Equipment

•28 AN/ALQ-211 Advanced Integrated Defensive Electronic Warfare Systems (AIDEWS); or Advanced Countermeasures Electronic Systems (ACES) which includes the AN/ALQ-187 Electronic Warfare System and the AN/ALR-93 Radar Warning Receiver

•28 AN/ARC-238 Single Channel Ground and Airborne Radio System (SINCGAR) radios without HAVE QUICK I/II

•4 F-9120 Advanced Airborne Reconnaissance Systems or DB-110 Reconnaissance Pods

•28 Global Positioning Systems (GPS) and Embedded GPS/Inertial Navigation Systems (INS) with Standard Positioning Service commercial code only

•12 AN/AAQ-33 SNIPER Advanced Targeting Pods or AN/AAQ-28LITENING Targeting Pods

•24 pairs of Conformal Fuel Tanks

•28 AN/ALE-47 Countermeasures Dispensing Systems

The total value, if all options are exercised, could be as high as $3.2Billion.

this cost doesn't include weapon,

even if this cost 2.5 billion, i don't expect US selling f16/18 with aesa radars for 10 billion
Last edited by Baldev on 15 Oct 2009 18:23, edited 1 time in total.
khukri
BRFite

Post by khukri »

And how is this MRCA related?
nrshah
BRFite

Post by nrshah »

khukri wrote:nd how is this MRCA related?
Cost....

-Nitin
b_patel
BRFite

Post by b_patel »

Cost....
-Nitin
Nitin your not taking several factors into account. One all of the egyptian planes will most likely be made at the production line in the US, thus increasing the overall cost. Whatever fighter wins will be produced in India (aside from the first squadron) and due to labor cost will be cheaper. how much cheaper, i don't know. Also since India would be purchasing at least 126 fighters (not incl. options) the winning company would be able to offer the planes at a cheaper price. Also the Egyptian order most likely includes training/support for 10 years. (The Price is similar to the Australian SH deal). The biggest thing is that the MRCA order will not be 10 billion dollars. That's just a number that is thrown around by journalists etc. It will cost a lot more than that. At this point money is not a problem for the IAF no matter what the MOD is saying. Hopefully the best plane (Eurofigter!!) is chosen regardless of the cost.
Baldev
BRFite

Post by Baldev »

b_patel wrote:
Cost....
-Nitin
Nitin your not taking several factors into account. One all of the egyptian planes will most likely be made at the production line in the US, thus increasing the overall cost. Whatever fighter wins will be produced in India (aside from the first squadron) and due to labor cost will be cheaper. how much cheaper, i don't know. Also since India would be purchasing at least 126 fighters (not incl. options) the winning company would be able to offer the planes at a cheaper price. Also the Egyptian order most likely includes training/support for 10 years. (The Price is similar to the Australian SH deal). The biggest thing is that the MRCA order will not be 10 billion dollars. That's just a number that is thrown around by journalists etc. It will cost a lot more than that. At this point money is not a problem for the IAF no matter what the MOD is saying. Hopefully the best plane (Eurofigter!!) is chosen regardless of the cost.
my friend turkey making 24 f16blk52 for the price of 1.9 billion dollars at TURKISH AIRCRAFT INDUSTRIES in turkey with TOT and this costs 60 million for each fighter nothing else is included

so the price of blk60 aircraft will be close to 65 million with technology transfer+ add support/training cost+weapon cost for each aircraft

and from where you get the thought that there is 10 years support training is included in ejyptian deal when there is not even mention of it.

and what is proof that eurofighter is best :?: in fact all these aircrafts are best no aircraft is inferior to other
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

b_patel wrote:
Cost....
-Nitin
Screwing together bunch of American made parts in India isn't going to save any money, if Hawk is any example it only end up costing more. Quantity being built isn't going to make things cheaper either since most of cost is in F-16s components.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

may not be inferior, but we have to choose among them that is superior to our requirements. least radar cross section, aesa radar, weapons config for BVR, electornics and avionics package, engine technology, software license code, integration tots, etc..

1. Rafale
2. EF2K
3. Mig35
4. SH
5. Gripen
6. F16

cost needs to be worked out.. but, if Migs are going to slam a bunch of new techs and integrate french avionics and israeli systems, then it shoots up to be the #1.

the cost has to be compelling with technology they offer. can't keep buying cheap stuff for the sake of lesser or less superior techs.
Patrick Cusack
BRFite

Post by Patrick Cusack »

Egypt and Turkey are buying F-16s possibility to transfer to Pakistan. I dont see why Pakistan has anything to worry about - all the Arab countries including Turkey will transfer hardware and pilots in case of war.
Raveen
BRFite

Post by Raveen »

Patrick Cusack wrote:Egypt and Turkey are buying F-16s possibility to transfer to Pakistan.
Yes, and Isreal will send it's armed forces to help us in a war situation, including all the American H/W they have.

On a serious note, please let us know when you have landed back to planet earth after this flight of fancy. Remember, stuff like this always happens when you forget the most basic rules: puff, puff, pass!
Patrick Cusack
BRFite

Post by Patrick Cusack »

OK get the point - During the Yom Kippur war Pakistani pilots were fighting for Egypt. Also, Al Qaida and Taliban fighters from other countries have chosen to fight a common war. During 1974 7th fleet was in the Indian ocean to intimidate India to back down.
Raveen
BRFite

Post by Raveen »

Patrick Cusack wrote:OK get the point - During the Yom Kippur war Pakistani pilots were fighting for Egypt. Also, Al Qaida and Taliban fighters from other countries have chosen to fight a common war.
I am aware of both those facts, but there is a HUGE political cost/implication (and now, possibily economic as well) for a country officially committing it's hardware for a war against India.

Pilot's have flown for other countries, but why didn't Porkistan send it's A/C as well? because that's a threshold no one will cross.

Please show me some basis for your statement that the planes will for Porki use.

As far as non-state actors go, please note : 'NON-STATE' hence the cross border co-operation. They fight together because of religon and for religon, therefore can not be compared. I would certainly believe some terror organizations would support Porkistan during a war but that's about it.

Yes, but one can only expect that kind of posturing from Unkil. Irrelevant, since I know Turkey ain't Unkil and neither is Egypt, heck, even Unkil ain't the same Unkil from the cold war era.
Igorr
BRFite

Post by Igorr »

Some shocking fact about lack of after-selling support from the Americans:
South Koreans cannibalizing F-15Ks due to lack of spares
vijyeta
BRFite -Trainee

Post by vijyeta »

Igorr wrote:Some shocking fact about lack of after-selling support from the Americans:
South Koreans cannibalizing F-15Ks due to lack of spares
Oh Igorr, this is due to poor 'forecasting' by the Koreans.... not uncle's fault.
Uncle will just say "not my bad"

Look how well maintained the Iranian F14s are how shiny the Pakistani F16s were in the late 90s
:lol:
b_patel
BRFite

Post by b_patel »

and from where you get the thought that there is 10 years support training is included in ejyptian deal when there is not even mention of it
Your right its not mentioned i don't know why i said it would be included in that price. I wasn't thinking. I don't know how much the egyptian block 15 and block 32 falcons differ from the block 52's the Egyptians will receive aside from what i've read on wiki. But I would think that there would be some sort of training/support costs included in the deal.
and what is proof that eurofighter is best :?: in fact all these aircrafts are best no aircraft is inferior to other
Its my personal opinion that the EF is the best choice out of the six. IMO india desperately needs a true air-superiority aircraft which is what the EF excels at. People argue what about the Su-30MKI and the FGFA are good enough for india's A2A role. well god knows when PAK-FA will have its maiden flight let alone when the FGFA will enter service. And IMO until the SU-30MKI can reduce its monstrous RCS (hopefully this will occur in the MLU) it is too big of a target. If the reports about the EF against Singapore's F-16 Blk 52 are true then its more than capable of dealing with anything Pakistan will possess.
John
BRF Oldie

Post by John »

SaiK wrote:may not be inferior, but we have to choose among them that is superior to our requirements. least radar cross section, aesa radar, weapons config for BVR, electornics and avionics package, engine technology, software license code, integration tots, etc..

1. Rafale
2. EF2K
3. Mig35
4. SH
5. Gripen
6. F16

From the beginning i have said Rafale/EF are the best bet, along with that IAF could also order 3 Squardrons of Mig-29K to augment the existing Mig-29s and to replace the Jaguar IM. These squadrons will be trained to land in Vikramaditya and shorter runways so that IAF can still operate in case of surprise first strike on the bases by PLAAF.
b_patel
BRFite

Post by b_patel »

may not be inferior, but we have to choose among them that is superior to our requirements. least radar cross section, aesa radar, weapons config for BVR, electornics and avionics package, engine technology, software license code, integration tots, etc..
least RCS- EF has the lowest published RCS of the 6 (.05) while the SH is published as (.01) Rafale (.01-.03)
Weapons config for BVR- EF was designed from the get go to be an BVR A2A fighter.
Electronics and avionics package (umm.. that's a hard one to answer)
Engine technology- EJ2000 allows EF to super cruise only fighter to do that (Gripen can but not with a real weapons load), I believe it is also the newest engine out of the 6 competitor.
AESA Radar- Well the Caesar is still finishing development but when it is fully developed it should be one of the best along with the APG-79 (has more T/R modules that any other radar)
Software license code- I don't know EADS stance on this i would think that they would give them to India since this order is desperately needed by the four partner countries.
Integration- I remember reading that India could integrate its indigenous weapons on the EF but there was no mention if EADS would help India to do this. Also no mention about Russian weapons (I doubt it though)
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Based on Shuklas report - Dassault seems hell bent on damaging its reputation

bye bye Rafale
AmitR
BRFite

Post by AmitR »

Surya wrote:Based on Shuklas report - Dassault seems hell bent on damaging its reputation

bye bye Rafale
This must come as a reality check for all the Rafale fans. French are no better than the Americans when it comes to support and upgrade.
a_kumar
BRFite

Post by a_kumar »

pandyan wrote:I heard from a reliable panwalla that F-16s are like pigeons...basically, if you have one alpha-pigeon, all the other pigeons will come home to roost. all we need to do is buy few alpha f-16s (which is what lockmart is proposing) and strategically locate them along the border; whenever the other guys f-16 flies on training missions, we launch ours and start the advanced interlocking remote control with command override system (AIRCCOS), eject the other pilot and bring the planes to our side and land them for our use. :shock: :shock: :shock: and then LM will upgrade to our standards...this is one of the key offset scheme LM has proposed. :mrgreen:
That made my day! :rotfl: :rotfl:
b_patel
BRFite

Post by b_patel »

Based on Shuklas report - Dassault seems hell bent on damaging its reputation
bye bye Rafale
I don't understand how Dassault could be so stupid to piss of India for the Mirage upgrade. To get into a pissing contest for a few hundred million $$$ when Billions are at stake. They have to be smart enough to realize that if the upgrade went smoothly and on schedule that the Rafale could only benefit. It seems like they don't even care about the competition anymore now that they most likely won in Brazil (not confirmed but most likely true).
The most interesting thing about the article was the offer from Israeli companies to upgrade the Mirages. Wonder why India refused? I mean it makes more sense just to wait for the MRCA to be inducted than upgrade the Mirages.
saptarishi
BRFite

Post by saptarishi »

HERE IS THE FULL STORY
IAF's $11-bn order may become larger

Ajai Shukla / New Delhi October 16, 2009, 0:36 IST

India may go beyond the purchase of 126 medium multi-role combat aircraft.

The winner’s jackpot could soon become even bigger in what is already the world’s most lucrative fighter aircraft tender: India’s proposed purchase of 126 medium multi-role combat aircraft (MMRCA) for an estimated Rs 51,000 crore ($11 billion).

The reason is a breakdown in India’s long negotiations with Dassault Aviation, the French aircraft manufacturer, for upgrading 51 Indian Air Force Mirage-2000 fighters. According to senior IAF sources, Dassault has refused to reduce its quota of Rs 10,000 crore ($2.1 billion) for extending the service life of the IAF’s Mirage-2000 fleet by fitting new radars and avionics. The Ministry of Defence (MoD) considers this price — Rs 196 crore ($41 million) per aircraft — unacceptably high, given that the airframes and engines will not be changed.

In comparison, each of the 126 brand-new, next-generation MMRCAs will cost some Rs 400 crore ($87 million) per aircraft. That includes the cost of technology transfers, as well as capital costs for setting up a manufacturing line in India. Once those costs are amortised, additional MMRCAs would be significantly cheaper.

Dassault’s India head, Posina V Rao, did not return multiple phone calls from Business Standard. MoD sources say Rao is engaged in last-ditch attempts to salvage the deal.

But, the MoD is veering around to the view that the Mirage-2000 fleet should continue service in its current form. After six squadrons (126 aircraft) of MMRCAs have entered IAF service, an additional two squadrons of MMRCAs would be built to replace the 51 Mirage-2000 fighters. That amounts to a 40 per cent rise in the MMRCA’s numbers.

Israeli aerospace companies have reportedly entered the fray, offering to upgrade the Mirage-2000 for half the price being quoted by Dassault. The MoD, however, is not inclined to accept that offer.

Price negotiations for the Mirage-2000 upgrade have travelled a rocky road over two years. Initially, Dassault quoted Rs 13,500 crore ($2.9 billion), which it brought down to the current level of Rs 10,000 crore ($2.1 billion) after the IAF diluted its upgrade requirements. But the MoD believes Dassault’s reduced bid only reflects the diluted requirements, rather than any flexibility on the latter’s part.

The IAF, traditionally a staunch supporter of Dassault and the Mirage-2000 fighter, is apparently changing its views. Dassault, say pilots, has badly damaged its credibility during the recent negotiations by arm-twisting the IAF over the supply of spares for the Mirage-2000 fleet.

The Gwalior-based IAF squadrons that currently fly the Mirage-2000 are Number 1 squadron (Tigers) and Number 7 squadron (Battle Axes).

Five of the six contenders for the MMRCA contract — Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Eurofighter, Gripen and RAC MiG — know they could reap handsome gains, through larger fighter orders, if India chooses not to upgrade the Mirage-2000. The sixth contender, Dassault Aviation itself, realises failure to negotiate the Mirage-2000 upgrade contract could seriously damage the chances of its Rafale fighter for the MMRCA contract.

The fighters in contention for the MMRCA contract are sequentially undergoing flight trials and evaluation, which the IAF expects to complete by April 2010. It will take another six months to finalise the trial report and send that to the MoD, which will then announce the winner of the contract.

http://www.business-standard.com/india/ ... er/373419/
saptarishi
BRFite

Post by saptarishi »

SO HERE WE HAVE IT

US GOVERNMENT arm twisted us with LCA know how

russians did with gorshkov

french did with scorpene and now mirages,,,height :evil: ,, we are the kings coz we pay the bills
nrshah
BRFite

Post by nrshah »

saptarishi wrote:SO HERE WE HAVE IT

french did with scorpene and now mirages,,,height :evil: ,, we are the kings coz we pay the bills
As Dileep has mentioned somewhere in his SPY STORY 2, Known Devil is better than unknown God.
AmitR
BRFite

Post by AmitR »

saptarishi wrote:SO HERE WE HAVE IT

Dude I am sure that a lot of bills were used to fatten the swiss bank accounts of the corrupt ministers and babus. So the rot is within.
Manish_Sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_Sharma »

Poor russians vilified for little for genuine price escalation inspite of giving us nuclear sub tech, helping develop brahmos. Anyway who wants this wimpish peeny nosed weakling engined rafale. Time to to just buy ej200 engine put on LCA and make 20 squadrons of it. Bye bye pathetic delicate rafale (just good for walking the ramp in paris cotoure) and bye bye MMRCA, time to work on PAKFA, MCA and x47b like ucavs. Invest half of 20 billion$ from MMRCA on making underground bunkers for the planes and the rest of LCA. Finish with this scam for next election fund. 41 million f***i*g dollors for upgrade, that too without new engines.
How right Shankar and Philip were!
Shankar
BRFite

Post by Shankar »

youknow what

the MRCA deal size is increasing for sure from 126 it will be around 200+

and the budget cannot get any bigger

so that leaves only one contender -MIG 35

expect to get some news about its trial and from what is known from other contender trail each had its unique strong points like agility of F-16 .strike accuracy of F-18 and easy to fly nature of Rafales but none had all the characteristics desired by IAF -they met the standard but that's it

I do hope Mig 35 will show in the next few weeks it is not just the cheapest aircraft but the best also in all departments including ground strike

we should be buying 200 plus of these birds without any damn delay -before china takes out Arunachal

And then we shall see with 200 flankers and 200 Mig 35 what PLAAF thinks about intruding Indian airspace and that includes airspace over ladakh and Arunachal

Shankarosky awaites the fulcrum landing in Lohegaon -the original nest of fulcrums
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

very interesting tag team going on :mrgreen:
saptarishi
BRFite

Post by saptarishi »

Shankar wrote:

And then we shall see with 200 flankers and 200 Mig 35 what PLAAF thinks about intruding Indian airspace and that includes airspace over ladakh and Arunachal

Shankarosky awaites the fulcrum landing in Lohegaon -the original nest of fulcrums
see i told you people comrade shankarosky will save us from chinese :rotfl:

on a serious note gripen is cheaper than mig-35, if life cycle costs are taken,f-16s are out,coz pakis are getting them,super hornet will not come with full tech transfer,there will be restrictions on f-18 that may put our security in jeopardy ,rafale is definitely out,leaving gripen ,ttyphoon and mig-35
Baldev
BRFite

Post by Baldev »

its become clear that cost of acquisition does matter as much as life cycle cost :D
Baldev
BRFite

Post by Baldev »

saptarishi wrote:on a serious note gripen is cheaper than mig-35, if life cycle costs are taken
and what is gripen

in gripen NG/IN there are

SYSTEMS FROM US
engine,wheel brake and controls,audio management system,air data computer

SYSTEMS FROM UK
control stick,throttle lever,some parts of airframe,refuelling probe,ejection seat,enviromental systems,landing gear,hydraulic system

SYSTEMS FROM FRANCE
fuel systems

SYSTEM FROM ITALY
aesa radar

gun is from germany

SYSTEMS FROM SWEDEN
rodome,parts of airframe and landing gear,MFD,flight control systems,system computer

same is also true for typhoon