Sri Lanka - News and Discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Re: Sri Lanka - News and Discussion

Post by Rahul M »

thusitha wrote:
And you are saying we have a huge problem in Discrimination?
Your behaviour is very much the same to the behaviour of SL government. That is let the Hindus Kill Muslim, so that they learn a lesson. The only thing is the repercussion for that is in much smaller scale since no one take on India Directly.

If we have behaved this way in recent years, how much would you be screaming and shouting? The whole would would have said genocide, genocide and give Tamils a separate. No one says a thing about big nations, people always try to fix problems in small poor nations.
do I see a selective reading here ?

the very link you posted says :
Sabarmati Express train was forcibly stopped and attacked by about 500+ strong Muslim mob.[1] As a result, 59 Hindu passengers — mostly women, children and seniors returning from the holy city of Ayodhya — were burned alive.
riots and massacres killed 790 Muslims and an additional 254 Hindus
61,000 Muslims and 10,000 Hindus fled their homes.
Preventive arrests of 17,947 Hindus and 3,616 Muslims were made. In total 27,901 Hindus and 7,651 Muslims were arrested.
does it look like a case of "let the Hindus Kill Muslim" ?? FYI, most of the 254 hindus who died were killed by police bullets.

anyway, if you want to discuss this further I suggest you pick another thread to do it.
thusitha
BRFite

Post by thusitha »

Rahul M
do I see a selective reading here ?
Not really, I read the whole thing. If it was selected reading, I wouldn't have put the whole link in there.
You can come to any conclusion you want regarding how the country react.

But let me bring another example. Cronulla riots in Australia. A large number of Mobs attacked Muslims.
Police did not do anything until large number of injuries. Since Australian don't have that much guns and they know that they can't get away from the law I believe no one died. My point is that government any many countries reacts pretty much similar in certain situations, and in the case of our countries due to general lack of law and order the number of deaths are very high.

There many things wrong in Asian countries, but a solution would not come in 6 moths or 1 year.
Preventive arrests of 17,947 Hindus and 3,616 Muslims were made. In total 27,901 Hindus and 7,651 Muslims were arrested.
And you must be trying to show how great India is, by having to arrest such a large number of people, I suppose. :rotfl:

does it look like a case of "let the Hindus Kill Muslim" ?? FYI, most of the 254 hindus who died were killed by police bullets.
anyway, if you want to discuss this further I suggest you pick another thread to do it.
And I do not have any interest in protecting the rights of Muslims. It is not my problem. Nor do I have sympathy for people who engage in act of terrorism. So no thanks.

Also speaking of Discrimination against Minorities

This is what happened in Fiji,
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/830926.stm

And if the logic is right, we should see a murderous arms struggle in Fiji.
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

thusitha wrote: My personal belief is that with all the discrimination in the world, you are over reacting to what is happening in SL.
Over-reaction?! A better word is reaction. Who is going to react about fellow-Tamil people getting discriminated, folks from Timbuktu?! What if any Buddhist relic got destroyed by some oiseaule, wont the Buddhists all stand up and fight? Or would they sit there and say "shanti, shanti, shanti!" If religion is a valid lowest common denominator, so is language. And to be honest, I dont believe in this different ethnicity business either, there has been a ton of cross-linkages that it is likely that most Sinhalese of today and most Tamils in SL and most South Indians are of the same stock than otherwise. If that is not believable, we also have the Vijaya from Orissa theory, which will also mean same stock as most Indians.
What we have it is mainly an economic problems, lot of it be reduced as soon as our economic situation becomes better. But for that peace must prevail in the country. Bit of a catch 22.
Another needle to the balloon, of all the countries in what is now the Indian subcontinent (South asia for you, maybe), SL had the highest per-capita income for a loooooong-loooong time. Want to check wiki for that? I would nt be too surprised if even now SL has the best per-capita record, but for Maldives. So what is this "economics is causing our problems" myth? India used to be a dirt poor country when compared with SL post-independence (forget per-capita, even on an absolute scale), did we slaughter each other?

If you bring the "eeeevil eeeeevil Hindoos kill Muslims theory", here is a poke to your ballon which is directly from a paki propaganda textbook. We in India sure have our moles, warts and cancers, to be honest evil evil Hindoos dont share lovey-dovey relationship with Muslims, but we co-exist in any case. Live and let live with mutual respect, nothing more, nothing less. Overall, tolerance has been a virtue on both sides. Sure, we have our aberrations, many an incident has happened, but the biggest poke in the "theory" is the fact that the Muslim % in India has only grown after post-47 days, not diminished like say for the evil evil Hindooos, from ~20% in pakistan right-after 47 to ~2% now, or ~25% in BD right-after 47 to ~10% now. For the record, the Muslim population in India is only behind Indonesia, and sooner than later we will whip them even on that count.

Do you really want me to do equal-equal and post a % of the Tamil-speaking population in SL from the post-48 days (and that is inclusive of the Muslims too) to date? You really want me to dig official SL census info for you, I assume they ask people S or T or M or B?! Or if they dont, I can dig up data from think-tanks, I am sure all of these should be freely floating on the net. If after all this, you say they willingly emigrated to Oirope and Canada, hello, "willingly?!" Yo serious, maite?!

Bottomline is economics is a side-story, disenfranchisement and discrimination (make it perceived discrimination if you are that touchy-touchy) is the primary problem as much as I can see. Belatedly, as SL provided equal rights on paper, they started putting systemic obstacles on the ground, many of which if people point out there is angry recrimination and statements such as "how the evvvvvil evvvvvil Tamils had child-soldiers, how the evvvvil evvvvil Tamils were inhuman neanderthals," etc. Sure as Sanku bhai says, past is past. Sure, Tamils and Sinhalese need to reconcile with the past and move on. But no reconciliation is possible unless folks are at the least willing to accept basic facts that there was discrimination. When you accept that basic fact, a few idiots in the Tamil community will raise their heads and say, thats why we want to leave. That is only natural. But most Tamils are sensible even if emotional, just like most Sinhalese. You are never going to win trust by white-washing facts and asking, "discrimination, what eeet eees, can you i-spell it for me in anglais please?" That has never brought closure to any mess and never will. The Sinhalese society at large is only pushing the can to tomorrow, because just like for the Sinhalese, H&D loss for the Tamils is a big deal. And long before your Mahavamsam chronicles came into official records, there is enough evidence to convince people that Tamil was spoken in this part of the world. Unfortunately, if it comes to ego, we can sing ring-a-ring-a-roses to eternity and its not gonna make an iota of difference to the fundamental difficulties, all of which are invariant under reformulation.
thusitha
BRFite

Post by thusitha »

Stan said...
But no reconciliation is possible unless folks are at the least willing to accept basic facts that there was discrimination. When you accept that basic fact, a few idiots in the Tamil community will raise their heads and say, thats why we want to leave.
And which SL says there was no discrimination against Tamils?
Not only SL, but most countries in the world discriminated against their minorities and continue to discriminate against their minorities. What is so hard to accept about that. That is the reality.
If you bring the "eeeevil eeeeevil Hindoos kill Muslims theory", here is a poke to your ballon which is directly from a paki propaganda textbook. We in India sure have our moles, warts and cancers, to be honest evil evil Hindoos dont share lovey-dovey relationship with Muslims, but we co-exist in any case.
And where would this lead to? Peace and happiness between communities. Looks like another ethnic riot waiting to happen if that is how you plan to live among the communities. Also I have quite a few Punjabi friends. Guess what they have to say about India. So is this the Maha Barath you envisage for India?
You really want me to dig official SL census info for you, I assume they ask people S or T or M or B?! Or if they dont, I can dig up data from think-tanks, I am sure all of these should be freely floating on the net.
Common, this was due to the war, if Sinhalese can get refugees status as Tamils, it would be the SL population that is going down, not the Tamil population. Every body wanted to leave SL during the period of War and Communist problems.

Over-reaction?! A better word is reaction. Who is going to react about fellow-Tamil people getting discriminated, folks from Timbuktu?! What if any Buddhist relic got destroyed by some oiseaule, wont the Buddhists all stand up and fight?
You are trying to make an excuse for supporting a Terrorist group in SL? No, when they destroyed the biggest Buddha image, no one stood and fought.

Another needle to the balloon, of all the countries in what is now the Indian subcontinent (South asia for you, maybe), SL had the highest per-capita income for a loooooong-loooong time. Want to check wiki for that?
Yeah, it can be but I don't think our villages are developed. Now only places away from the capital is getting developed.
It is not just a problem for Tamils, it is a problem for every person out side of Colombo. With the help of India now Jaffna would be developed and the the East would be developed with the help of China and Middle east.
"how the evvvvvil evvvvvil Tamils had child-soldiers, how the evvvvil evvvvil Tamils were inhuman neanderthals," etc.
How evil Child soldier, that is just for HRW and the West. Soldiers feel sorry for these and don't tend to shoot. I have no issues any terrorist organization arming children. Just don't expect the army not to shoot. If you want to send your children to death, that is an issue you have to deal, not us.

Inhuman Neanderthals are a thing shared said by both sides of the forums. By Tamils and Sinhalese. But I am not sure whether we really believe that. I personally don't believe it and I don't think Tamils think the same way. You just need to understand SL has a very high level of education, therefore for us to co-exist peacefully is not a hard thing. If for some reason there is peace for few years in the country, we would be where we were pre '83 days. This won't be the way you mentioned that you live with Muslims, we would be living as friends as it use to be.

Also Stan,
Just to let you know, today I spoke to some Tamil guy who work at the Sydney post office for some reason. After hearing my name, he said how glad to hear some one from SL. So, is the Tamils that we discriminate? If I was a Tamil and I was discriminated the way you mention that is happening in SL, I would never tell how glad to hear a Sinhalese voice. Would I? So, not every body gets discriminated the way you think.
rajsunder
BRFite

Post by rajsunder »

thusitha wrote:
Also Stan,
Just to let you know, today I spoke to some Tamil guy who work at the Sydney post office for some reason. After hearing my name, he said how glad to hear some one from SL. So, is the Tamils that we discriminate? If I was a Tamil and I was discriminated the way you mention that is happening in SL, I would never tell how glad to hear a Sinhalese voice. Would I? So, not every body gets discriminated the way you think.
why dont u come out with the figures about the economic conditions of Tamilians before and after 1948. That should be enough to prove that SL has been discriminating against Tamilians as a part of its govt policy after independence.
Muns
BRFite

Post by Muns »

40 Tamil fishermen beaten by Lankan navy :
In yet another case of shocking atrocities allegedly committed by the Lankan Navy, 40 fishermen from Rameswaram were beaten up and their equipment damaged by the Lankan navy.
http://www.timesnow.tv/40-Tamill-fisher ... 330764.cms

Also :

Sri Lanka Ranked 162 in Press Freedom :
Sri Lanka was ranked 162nd of the 175 countries in the latest press freedom ranking released by Reporters without Borders today.
http://news.nidahasa.com/news.php?go=fu ... newsid=909
Javee
BRF Oldie

Post by Javee »

thusitha wrote:How evil Child soldier, that is just for HRW and the West. Soldiers feel sorry for these and don't tend to shoot. I have no issues any terrorist organization arming children. Just don't expect the army not to shoot. If you want to send your children to death, that is an issue you have to deal, not us.
It was not HRW, it was your government. It was their propaganda that LTTE were using child soldiers and they ran crying to UN and every acronym(ed) body in the world. And then came the news they were also hiring child soldiers. TMVP Karuna also hired child soldiers but for some reason the govt did not brand them as evil.
You just need to understand SL has a very high level of education, therefore for us to co-exist peacefully is not a hard thing. If for some reason there is peace for few years in the country, we would be where we were pre '83 days.
This just proves that there will not be a peace in SL. You still dont acknowledge the problem, LTTE was not the problem, LTTE did not invent the problem in 83. It started with your independence and until you rectify that, there will be no peace. If SL mindset is superior with respect to education, we would not have this protracted war for 25 years.
This won't be the way you mentioned that you live with Muslims, we would be living as friends as it use to be.
That occasional jibe is un-called for, the muslims in India are not fighting for a separate homeland unlike SL. If we started cleansing the population like you did including the one you just finished, there would be no dissent in India, so just dont compare and get me started. Muslims are/were neither disenfranchised nor treated as second citizens by the law and govt.
Just to let you know, today I spoke to some Tamil guy who work at the Sydney post office for some reason. After hearing my name, he said how glad to hear some one from SL.
Ok and thats proves tamils love singhalese?
So, is the Tamils that we discriminate? If I was a Tamil and I was discriminated the way you mention that is happening in SL, I would never tell how glad to hear a Sinhalese voice. Would I? So, not every body gets discriminated the way you think.
He is not the one you discriminate, he knows he is safe in Australia, go talk to some one in the camp in SL.
thusitha
BRFite

Post by thusitha »

Javee
It was not HRW, it was your government. It was their propaganda that LTTE were using child soldiers and they ran crying to UN and every acronym(ed) body in the world. And then came the news they were also hiring child soldiers. TMVP Karuna also hired child soldiers but for some reason the govt did not brand them as evil.
Javee, you didn't get I meant, what I meant was exactly what you said. Government used this as a propaganda tool. To make LTTE look bad in the eyes of International community. We had to fight a huge propaganda war as the standard war. You can say Karuna this, Karuna that, there is lot of truth and lies out there. If government prosecute Karuna, there would be a set of community up in Arms and if government doesn't there is another set of people who are up in arms. Government have bigger issues to solve than try Karuna for this type of stuff. If Tamils are interested in prosecuting him against these they need to go to the courts and take actions.

Javee
You just need to understand SL has a very high level of education, therefore for us to co-exist peacefully is not a hard thing. If for some reason there is peace for few years in the country, we would be where we were pre '83 days.

This just proves that there will not be a peace in SL. You still dont acknowledge the proble.
Even in the last post I acknowledge that there is a problem. What I tried to show is not every one gets discriminated. At the same time there would another large set of people who feel discriminated.
Ok and thats proves tamils love singhalese?
Did you properly read what I said after writing that section. I was not trying to prove such a point. Please try not to take thing out of context. I myself was bit surprised. The people who dislike us the most are the Diaspora Tamils.
He is not the one you discriminate, he knows he is safe in Australia, go talk to some one in the camp in SL.
It would have been better if they were given good accommodation e.t.c. e.t.c. They could have been processed faster, elders could have been sent home earlier. Would I hate to be in the same position as they are under constant guards and surrounded by barbed wire, yes I would be. But keeping them under a barbed wire is not something I would feel sorry for.
There is a need for it. Otherwise government and military wouldn't do it. Please put this question in a SL forum and you would get a proper answer. If they feel discriminated, too bad. There are endless ways Tamils get discriminated by profiling e.t.c. e.t.c. in SL due to the war. But there are arguments and counter arguments for why having and not having them. My main concern in the general discrimination and not the discrimination due to the war.
That occasional jibe is un-called for, the muslims in India are not fighting for a separate homeland unlike SL. If we started cleansing the population like you did including the one you just finished, there would be no dissent in India,
Although you don't see that separation of India and Pakistan as fighting for separate homeland, for me it is. It is a fighting for a separate homeland that actually was won. And the number of deaths relating to that?

Also I was reading some articles from DBSJ relating to the separatism struggle of TN. So there was another struggle that happened, although it died down. So, you just can't say India did not have fighting for separate homeland. It is that you handled things well.
Javee
BRF Oldie

Post by Javee »

thusitha wrote:We had to fight a huge propaganda war as the standard war. You can say Karuna this, Karuna that, there is lot of truth and lies out there. If government prosecute Karuna, there would be a set of community up in Arms and if government doesn't there is another set of people who are up in arms. Government have bigger issues to solve than try Karuna for this type of stuff. If Tamils are interested in prosecuting him against these they need to go to the courts and take actions.
Hah, what is bigger issue than solving tamil grievances?? On one hand, Govt says the LTTE is bad because they are brainwashing and arming children as soldiers while on the OTOH the govt itself is doing it through Karuna. Tell me, in all honesty, is that a truth or lie?
Even in the last post I acknowledge that there is a problem. What I tried to show is not every one gets discriminated. At the same time there would another large set of people who feel discriminated.
The majority of tamils did not "perceive" discrimination, they were discriminated, that's the fact. The amendments to your constitution is a proof for that.
Did you properly read what I said after writing that section. I was not trying to prove such a point. Please try not to take thing out of context. I myself was bit surprised. The people who dislike us the most are the Diaspora Tamils.
Ok, it still does not make sense to relate one experience with a diaspora tamil.
But keeping them under a barbed wire is not something I would feel sorry for.
There is a need for it. Otherwise government and military wouldn't do it. Please put this question in a SL forum and you would get a proper answer.
Trust me, there is a need for everything, that does not mean that people should be treated as cattle. If the SLG and SLA had their own reasons, then the people would have their own reasons to not to believe in SLG motives for peace.
If they feel discriminated, too bad. There are endless ways Tamils get discriminated by profiling e.t.c. e.t.c. in SL due to the war. But there are arguments and counter arguments for why having and not having them. My main concern in the general discrimination and not the discrimination due to the war.
You can say too bad and shrug it off, but that was the reason why you lost thousands of people in 2.5 decades.

Although you don't see that separation of India and Pakistan as fighting for separate homeland, for me it is. It is a fighting for a separate homeland that actually was won. And the number of deaths relating to that?
huh, back then hindus and muslims fought with each other coz of perceived difference in religion, not because hindus discriminated them or not because the majority dis-enfranchised the minority. Big difference there with respect to SL and to finish it, they fought against the British Indian Colonial leadership.
Also I was reading some articles from DBSJ relating to the separatism struggle of TN. So there was another struggle that happened, although it died down. So, you just can't say India did not have fighting for separate homeland. It is that you handled things well.
What struggle? All that TN wanted was their language to be the spoken/administrative language in their state. All the talks of separate homeland by DK/DMK died its own death coz of the 1962 war with China. Again Indian Govt did not massacre tamils, they self immolated themselves unlike the riots in SL nor they dis-enfranchised tamilians.

At every opportunity you try to compare SL with India, fact is India is very different from SL in every aspect.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Stan_Savljevic wrote:If that is not believable, we also have the Vijaya from Orissa theory, which will also mean same stock as most Indians.
bengal and not orissa.
Not really, I read the whole thing. If it was selected reading, I wouldn't have put the whole link in there.
You can come to any conclusion you want regarding how the country react.
let me jog your memories a bit.
clearly, you didn't understand even if you read it.

this is what you said :
thusitha wrote:And you are saying we have a huge problem in Discrimination?
Your behaviour is very much the same to the behaviour of SL government. That is let the Hindus Kill Muslim, so that they learn a lesson.
when the very example you gave proved that the administration went to great lengths to quell the situation. not to mention that there is NO institutional bias against ANY minority (unlike SL). in other words, India is no SL.

the very first step to a long-term solution of SL's problems would be to first acknowledge that there is officially sanctioned and institutionalized discrimination again the non-buddhists and then go about removing those factors.

the solution does not lie in justifying the discrimination by giving examples of every nut-case country in the world. (and despite your best efforts to prove otherwise, India does not belong to that group)
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

Rahul M wrote:
Stan_Savljevic wrote:If that is not believable, we also have the Vijaya from Orissa theory, which will also mean same stock as most Indians.
bengal and not orissa.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Vijaya
Kashyap
BRFite

Post by Kashyap »

Rajapaksa holds talks with Prachanda
TNN 29 October 2009, 08:46pm IST

KATHMANDU: In an unusual turn of events, Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa, whose government this year crushed a nearly three-decade-old Tamil insurgency, arrived in Nepal on Thursday and held a 30-minute-long discussion with Maoist leader Pushpa Kamal Dahal Prachanda, whose guerrilla army led a successful 10-year-old civil war in the Himalayan nation.

After the meeting in the tightly guarded Soaltee Crowne Plaza hotel in Kathmandu, where Rajapaksa is staying with his wife, Shiranthi Rajapaksa, Prachanda told the media that his party wished to learn from the Sri Lankan experience in the wake of the LTTE movement, especially about the rehabilitation of the Tamil Tigers.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/worl ... 177493.cms

Sri Lanka gets time on garment export threat
FT, Oct 30. Colombo still has time to try to persuade the European Union not to suspend Sri Lanka’s trading privileges, a move that would damage its crucial garment export industry, a senior EU official said on Thursday.

Citing human rights violations, the EU is expected to suspend Sri Lanka’s access to Europe’s “generalised system of preferences plus” trading scheme by the end of this year but the measure may not take effect until June 2010, giving Colombo time to act.

“The time for dialogue is over,” said Bernard Savage, ambassador, head of the delegation for the EU in Sri Lanka. “We would recommend at this stage that they deal with the issues rather than try to lobby.”
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/4469eac4-c4bc ... ab49a.html

EDITORIAL: Undermining Sri Lanka
The Washington Times, October 29, 2009. Sri Lanka is joining Israel as a country facing a war crimes investigation for effectively fighting back against terrorism. America should support the Sri Lankan government or keep its nose out of Colombo's business.

Last week, Stephen Rapp, U.S. ambassador-at-large for war crimes issues, filed a report to Congress on incidents during the recent conflict in Sri Lanka that "may constitute violations of international humanitarian law or crimes against humanity." The report focuses in particular on January to May 2009 when, after 12 years of conflict, the Sri Lankan military surrounded and destroyed the major armed formations of the Tamil Tigers and killed the terrorist group's leaders.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/200 ... sri-lanka/

http://www.dailymirror.lk/DM_BLOG/Secti ... RTID=66274
Kashyap
BRFite

Post by Kashyap »

Rahul M wrote:the very first step to a long-term solution of SL's problems would be to first acknowledge that there is officially sanctioned and institutionalized discrimination again the non-buddhists and then go about removing those factors.
There is? Please do elaborate on this religious factor.

If you had spoken about an ethnic factor, I might have agreed, and even then that it is 'offically sanctioned' and 'institutionalised' would be moot.
Last edited by Kashyap on 30 Oct 2009 09:36, edited 2 times in total.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Kashyap
BRFite

Post by Kashyap »

not to mention that there is NO institutional bias against ANY minority (unlike SL). in other words, India is no SL.
Are you sure of that?

The following sounds like institutional bias against non-Hindus to me... what do you think?

The Guardians and Wards Act, 1890 (GWA), a 116 year old Indian law, plays spoiltsport for the 12 million orphaned children in India who need parents by not allowing Muslims, Christians, Jews and Parsis to become a child’s adoptive parents.

They can only be appointed as ‘guardians’. Even the more liberal Hindu Adoption and Maintenance Act, 1956 (HAMA) does not allow non-Hindus to adopt a Hindu child. The process is tedious and hemmed in with restrictions.

The result - non-Hindus and foreign nationals can at most become guardians but cannot adopt children from India, even after they comply with the cumbersome procedure.

http://www.karmayog.org/adoption/adoption_16981.htm

So you're probably right, 'Sri Lanka is no India' because people belonging to any faith are allowed to adopt in Sri Lanka.
Kashyap
BRFite

Post by Kashyap »

You mean the fact that Buddhism is given the "foremost position" in the Sri Lankan constitution? Is it actually preventing, say, Christians from jobs in the government? Or Muslims from building their mosques, madrassahs and Arabic language schools? Is it stopping the Ministry of Christian Affairs or the Ministry of Muslim Affairs from receiving funds from the government for renovating old placed of worship and building new ones? Is it stopping the government sponsorship of Catholic Festivals and having Mass in Parliament? Is it stopping the ban on imports of pork-based medicine products becuase they may offend Muslim sensitivities?

May I ask also, what is the policy of India's biggest opposition party the BJP - and 'Hindutva'?

Discrimination or not?

Anti-conversion legislation in India refers to the laws enacted by several Indian states which prohibit Hindus from converting to Christianity.

The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), a Hindu nationalist political party in India, passed an anti-conversion law in the state of Gujarat in 2003. Christian community in the state feared that Hindu extremists will misuse this law by making false accusations against Christian missionaries. A report in an Indian newspaper described the law "From now on, anyone wishing to convert will have to tell the government why they were doing it and for how long they had been following the religion which they were renouncing, failing which, they will be declared offenders and prosecuted under criminal laws". Hindu nationalist organizations prosecuted Muslims and Christians and killed more than 2,000 Muslims in Gujarat in 2002.

India's Anti-conversion laws loaded in favour of majority Hindu religion
http://indianchristians.in/news/content/view/896/43/

Muslims adopt Hindu IDs to escape discrimination in India
http://makkah.wordpress.com/2007/08/15/ ... -in-india/

India's Muslims face Housing discrimination
http://yalibnan.com/site/archives/2009/ ... uslims.php

Sikhism in Jeopardy (In India)
Discrimination against different communities such as Sikhs, Christians, and Muslims is rampant in India and it’s spreading like plague.

The Indian government tried to undermine Punjabi, the language of Sikhs, several times. In 1951 census Hindi was preferred over Punjabi. The ruling Congress party issued an advertisement in newspapers asking non-Sikh residents of Punjab to return to Hindi as their mother tongue, even though Punjabi had been their mother tongue since ages. Almost all the Punjabi speaking Hindus declared Hindi as their mother tongue during the census of India in 1951 and 1961. Similarly, the Congress government even opposed the formation of Punjabi State in total contrast to the commitment to demarcate India on a linguistic basis made by the Congress party in 1929, 1946 and 1947....In June 1984, on the orders of the Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, Golden Temple and 37 other Gurdwaras were attacked by all sections of the Indian Armed Forces and other security agencies, killing thousands of Sikhs, desecrating the holy premises, vandalizing heritage records and artifacts.

http://www.sikhsiyasat.net/2009/10/05/s ... -in-india/

You may point fingers at Sri Lanka, but I think (others may hold different opinions) that it has managed religious relationships between its constituent groups relatively better than India. Ethnic relations not so well as India.
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

To the lankan postors,
you are being stupid.

You do not realise that after the period 1983-1987, when India supported LTTE,GOI has withdrawn support to LTTE.LTTE was supported by western powers.

Now LTTE is finished.KP is behind bars.We have had trillion discussions on this.The GOI supports the unity and integrity of Srilanka.Even though fringe groups like Nedumaaran,Vaiko,Thirumavalavan,a part of Kollywood,Ramadoss support LTTE and of late Amma has jumped in,the mainstream supports GOI policy.

Karunanidhi in a spirit of statesmanship sent a parliamentary delegation consisting of DMK-Congress MPs to SL.They met Rajapakshe and the SL President released 58000 persons from the camps.Anbazhagan next to Karunanidhi in seniority in DMK has been sober as always.Only Thirumavalavan was acerbic in his comments on the camps.

In TN,the PMK of Ramadoss and Viduthalai chiruthai of Thirumavalavan have their own agenda.

Why do you cast aspersions on India in BRF? Isnt it the height of stupidity and myopia?

The Diaspora is clueless in Toronto and London.SL should build bridges with the moderates like DBSJ,rebuild Jaffna,delegate policing to local govt with top positions manned by a national civil service like in India.

GOSL can promote investment and bring skilled jobs which can be manned by educated Tamils among others.You can have fruitful interactions with Tamil and non Tamil industrialists and build goodwill in India through education,trade and tourism with TN and rest of India.

You are here for so long in BRF.You know the diversity in Tamilnadu as well as in the rest of India.SL has no reason to fear India.But is it not your duty to ensure that the average tamil(I am deliberately excluding the extreme elements) has no reason to fear Sinhalese exclusivism.

This is what SL should be doing,reaching out to the moderates even in the diaspora and trying to integrate them.It will be a long drawn out process.

You should be reporting that tortuous progress.What is the point of your meaningless arguments with the same postors and worse casting aspersions on India?
Malayappan
BRFite

Post by Malayappan »

A Tamil myself, I second Krishnapremi! All his observations on Tamil Nadu politics are bang on!

Sinhala friends on this board need to understand that how minorities are viewed in India is not relevant at all. Hell, as a Tamil, I happen to be a linguistic minority :) ! But we have our own ways of dealing with the problem and find comfort in our larger Indian identity. (When we have India, why should we settle for anything less! :) ) For you that is simply not the issue.

If you do not manage a 'contract' with the moderate Tamils and ensure smooth reintegration of all Tamil Sri Lankans, God help you! SL, I guess stands for Sri Lanka, not Sinhala. And for God's sake, these people are Sri Lankans, not Indians!
Kailash
BRFite

Post by Kailash »

was this dicussed?
Quoting some fishermen of Mandapam and Rameswaram, the MDMK leader said some Chinese nationals were on board the Sri Lankan boats that attacked Indian fishermen recently
I remember hearing similar account in some regional news channel yesterday. Not sure if this was covered

Another link
Apparently, Tamil Nadu fishermen were attacked by Sri Lanka Navy in which the presence of Chinese personnels cannot be ruled out. Perhaps China's intention may be to drive out India and the West on account of exploring oil from the Gulf of Mannar
Is it just oil or do we have Thorium as well? Whatever be it time to beef up our patrols in the area - start protecting Indian citizens.
rkirankr
BRFite

Post by rkirankr »

quote="Kashyap"]
You mean the fact that Buddhism is given the "foremost position" in the Sri Lankan constitution? Is it actually preventing, say, Christians from jobs in the government? Or Muslims from building their mosques, madrassahs and Arabic language schools? Is it stopping the Ministry of Christian Affairs or the Ministry of Muslim Affairs from receiving funds from the government for renovating old placed of worship and building new ones? Is it stopping the government sponsorship of Catholic Festivals and having Mass in Parliament? Is it stopping the ban on imports of pork-based medicine products becuase they may offend Muslim sensitivities?

May I ask also, what is the policy of India's biggest opposition party the BJP - and 'Hindutva'?

Discrimination or not?

Anti-conversion legislation in India refers to the laws enacted by several Indian states which prohibit Hindus from converting to Christianity.
Anti conversion is aimed at preventing fraudulent practises. The evangelists have played lot of mischief. Please read all sides before commenting

The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), a Hindu nationalist political party in India, passed an anti-conversion law in the state of Gujarat in 2003. Christian community in the state feared that Hindu extremists will misuse this law by making false accusations against Christian missionaries. A report in an Indian newspaper described the law "From now on, anyone wishing to convert will have to tell the government why they were doing it and for how long they had been following the religion which they were renouncing, failing which, they will be declared offenders and prosecuted under criminal laws". Hindu nationalist organizations prosecuted Muslims and Christians and killed more than 2,000 Muslims in Gujarat in 2002.

Conversion has been used in India by some powers to change demography and threaten the unity. You should also look at the amount of protection the constitution guarantees to the minorities and their institution. Where in the world you have one set of laws to one people and other set of laws people of some other religion based on their religious beliefs. This is the extreme accomodation which we do. Top that if you can
India's Anti-conversion laws loaded in favour of majority Hindu religion
http://indianchristians.in/news/content/view/896/43/

Muslims adopt Hindu IDs to escape discrimination in India
http://makkah.wordpress.com/2007/08/15/ ... -in-india/

India's Muslims face Housing discrimination
http://yalibnan.com/site/archives/2009/ ... uslims.php

Sikhism in Jeopardy (In India)
Discrimination against different communities such as Sikhs, Christians, and Muslims is rampant in India and it’s spreading like plague.

The Indian government tried to undermine Punjabi, the language of Sikhs, several times. In 1951 census Hindi was preferred over Punjabi. The ruling Congress party issued an advertisement in newspapers asking non-Sikh residents of Punjab to return to Hindi as their mother tongue, even though Punjabi had been their mother tongue since ages. Almost all the Punjabi speaking Hindus declared Hindi as their mother tongue during the census of India in 1951 and 1961. Similarly, the Congress government even opposed the formation of Punjabi State in total contrast to the commitment to demarcate India on a linguistic basis made by the Congress party in 1929, 1946 and 1947....In June 1984, on the orders of the Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, Golden Temple and 37 other Gurdwaras were attacked by all sections of the Indian Armed Forces and other security agencies, killing thousands of Sikhs, desecrating the holy premises, vandalizing heritage records and artifacts.

http://www.sikhsiyasat.net/2009/10/05/s ... -in-india/
Looking at the URLs above , it is just useless to even comment or click on the links given above. Will you consider any material which is posted from a tamil (LTTE related) site criticizing sinhala/srilanka?
You may point fingers at Sri Lanka, but I think (others may hold different opinions) that it has managed religious relationships between its constituent groups relatively better than India. Ethnic relations not so well as India.[/quote]
Yeah relatively better indeed. So why was there a civil war for 25 years ? If there was no stupid sinhala only policy, there would have been no civil war and Srilanka would have given probably Singapore a run for its money. You guys F@rted and now looking around to blame others
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

Kashyap,
We appreciate statistics on status of resettled displaced persons.It is this sort of information we look forward-peace,rehabiliatation,progress,prosperity-in the style of 70s Doordarshan :D .In the final analysis,this should not be about statistics but people.

Unlike Westerners who will be judgemental and poke their noses and create trouble, the GOI will be interested only in fair settlement and justice.It has no axe to grind.Ofcourse we would like you to appreciate our sensitivities while we understand your anxieties.

I dont have to tell you why we care for SL because the Tamizh people look up to TN but even the Sinhala people who are not very different from the Tamizh people as far 'ethnicity' goes,have deep religious and cultural ties with the people of India.
thusitha
BRFite

Post by thusitha »

krishnapremi
This is what SL should be doing,reaching out to the moderates even in the diaspora and trying to integrate them.It will be a long drawn out process.
I believe the government is doing it's best to do this as well as many other things. Seems liken an Impossible task every person wants there problems solved yesterday. It seem like the SL government is pushed by EU, U.S. Sinhalese plus destabilizing forces within SL.
You should be reporting that tortuous progress.What is the point of your meaningless arguments with the same postors and worse casting aspersions on India?
No, the intention is not to cast aspersion on India. India is so much bigger than SL and it is understandable it would have much more problems than SL. Some times Indian bloggers tend to forget that India has done its share of mistakes as well.
SL has done the same and has paid big time for that. And we are moving on and hopefully in the right direction. Also we know that SL problem is a head ache for you guys as well and you are hoping that it would disappear as well.
Javee
BRF Oldie

Post by Javee »

Sri Lanka outcry over police brutality

By Charles Haviland
BBC News, Colombo

Sri Lanka's war ended in May but one branch of its security forces is now under particular scrutiny.

There has been an outcry against the police over brutal acts they are said to have committed.

People have also been protesting against their crackdown on organised crime, saying they are getting out of control.

Children and families play in the surf there as the ocean gleams.

The houses and shacks lining the sandy shore are poorly built with breeze blocks and tin roofs.

In a house nearby two families gather to tell the BBC the harrowing story of what happened there a few weeks ago.

One evening their sons, Dinesh, a fish-seller, and Dhanushka, a gym instructor, went missing. They were cousins, both in their 20s.

Hours later it emerged that they had been picked up by the Angulana police and held at the police station.

'Shock'

Dinesh's father Sangadasa says it was late the same night that he discovered his son's fate.

"On my way to the police station I heard people saying a nice-looking boy had been killed and his body was on the beach.

"I rushed to the seashore. I saw his body there. I went into shock."

Dhanushka's body was found later by a railway track.

Both youths had gunshot wounds. Nine policemen now face possible murder charges.

Media reports said the victims had been teasing a local woman but exactly what happened remains unclear and local people were enraged by the killings.

Once they attacked the police station, the authorities promised action.

This is one among a recent series of apparent police misdeeds.

There are regular deaths in detention - the government admits 32 people have died in custody this year alone.

A human rights lawyer, Chandrapala Kumarage, believes the security concerns of decades of war have left some police officers (by no means all) feeling they are not accountable.

'Impunity'

"It is really police abuse," he says.

"Impunity is really the thing which encourages the police to commit this kind of crimes. And now the extrajudicial killings continue after the end of the war."

In Maligawatte, an old Muslim quarter of Colombo with narrow streets and brightly-painted houses, there is also indignation.

As Friday prayers finished at the mosque, children laughed and teased each other in the street outside.

But there was anger in the neighbourhood against the police, especially a so-called Special Task Force which had, over a number of weeks, been shooting men in this part of the city in what they call a crackdown on the underworld - a phrase also used by top members of the security forces.

Most of those killed happened to be Muslims although the police say this has nothing to do with ethnicity and that they are targeting known criminals.

Local people say many are not criminals and that even those who may be, deserve due legal process.

As soon as the prayers finished, dozens of Muslim men and women marched down the street with banners showing pictures of young men, at least one of whom had been killed.

Speakers addressing a rally a few minutes later voiced outrage.

One said some of those killed had been helping politicians and were only later labelled as "underworld" members and had weapons planted on them.

In defence

"They don't have the right to kill those people," another said. "We want to show the government, the entire world, that there is no law in this country."

Many are suspicious because police accounts of these killings usually follow the same pattern.

They say that a man is arrested; he takes police to a place where weapons are hidden; then draws a gun on them so officers are forced to shoot him.

But Sri Lanka's police spokesman, Nimal Mediwake, defends his force.

In every case a magistrate's inquiry and post-mortem are held, he says.

"After completing that, the judge will decide whether it is justifiable homicide or the police are to be dealt with."

The spokesman added that there had not, to date, been any instances of the police being indicted after the death of so-called "underworld" members. In general, he said, it was ruled that the killings were justifiable homicide.

"These people have taken the law into their hands, trying to attack the police. So the police have had to return fire."

But lawyer Chandrapala Kumarage disagrees.

"In a country where there is rule of law and not law of the jungle, you can't kill people like that," he says.

'A violation'

"A responsible government has no moral right to say those killings are justified. They are illegal and they are in violation of the law of this country."

He links the "underworld" cases with the others, such as the Angulana ones, which have struck a chord with ordinary people.

Lawyers, including him, say the Sri Lankan government is violating the constitution by not having a standing independent commission on the police.

Back in Angulana, Devika Fernando grieves as she remembers identifying the body of her son, Dhanushka, killed like his friend and cousin, Dinesh.

"How can we accept the police as people who protect the public, if they commit this type of intolerable crime against society?" she asks.

"They are supposed to protect us."

In Angulana and many other places, public opinion has been hardening against the police. Now the war is over there are calls for efforts to rebuild the rule of law, undermined by decades of conflict.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8314118.stm
Pranay
BRFite

Post by Pranay »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8336759.stm

An amazing amount of Hubris... :shock: . At this rate, an american general visiting Sri Lanka can be booked for questioning for alleged "war crimes" commited by the US in any part of the world. To top it all, the LTTE was declared a terrorist organization by the US.
US 'to quiz Sri Lanka army chief'

The army chief is visiting family in the US
Sri Lanka says its army chief faces questioning by the US government, over alleged war crimes committed during the war with the Tamil Tigers.
The Sri Lankan government has told the BBC that it objects to American plans to interview General Sarath Fonseka, who is currently on a visit to the US.
The American State Department published a recent report outlining allegations of human rights abuses during the war.
The UN has previously said an inquiry is needed to determine culpability.
General Fonseka is visiting his daughters in Oklahoma, and has been asked to present himself for an interview with the Department of Homeland Security on Wednesday, reports say.
A senior Sri Lankan government source told the BBC that the US department wants him to testify against Sri Lanka's powerful defence secretary, Gotabhaya Rajapaksa.
thusitha
BRFite

Post by thusitha »

Pranay said...
An amazing amount of Hubris... . At this rate, an american general visiting Sri Lanka can be booked for questioning for alleged "war crimes" commited by the US in any part of the world. To top it all, the LTTE was declared a terrorist organization by the US.
Interesting development, and all SL are bit anxiously waiting to hear what is happening.

And Arundhathi Roy is at it again

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/01/world ... .html?_r=1
The writer Arundhati Roy recently called for unconditional talks and told CNN-IBN that the Maoists were justified in taking up arms because of government oppression. Others who are sympathetic to the plight of the adivasis say the Maoist violence has become intolerable.
Hopefully Indian forces will destroy these gurrillas before they become another LTTE. Also I saw some articles that Maoists rebels might be trained by the fleeing LTTE, which is bit worrisome.
pgbhat
BRF Oldie

Post by pgbhat »

I think this discussion has become what Stan said before "open fly, torn shirt" arguments. Pussyfooting from acknowledging ground realities to mud slinging.
thusitha
BRFite

Post by thusitha »

pgbhat
I think this discussion has become what Stan said before "open fly, torn shirt" arguments. Pussyfooting from acknowledging ground realities to mud slinging.
R U talking about my last post? If that is the case, you have misread it.

When I put AR comments, what I am saying is she is sympathising with Terrorist. She did the same with SL. The post has nothing to do with trying to mudsling India. If that was the case I would happily acknowledge it.
pgbhat
BRF Oldie

Post by pgbhat »

I am talking about Kashyap's post.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

I was horrified to see the poor mentally challenged Tamil boy thrashed and drowned by the SL Police!

It appears Rajapakse is punch drunk!

Though I don't understand how the US can do it, but this is interesting and the need of the hour:
Lanka boss faces US test

Colombo, Nov. 1 (PTI): US authorities have asked Sri Lankan army chief Sarath Fonseka, who led the military offensive on the LTTE, to testify before them over allegations of widespread human rights abuse by the defence forces during the war.

The chief of defence staff has told the government that he has been asked to give evidence against defence secretary Gotabhaya Rajapaksa, brother of President Mahinda Rajapaksa, over the allegations, a media report said today. The US state department had recently submitted to Congress a report on the incidents during the recent conflict.

“Fonseka has written to the Sri Lankan mission in Washington saying he has been asked by the US officials to give evidence against Gotabhaya over alleged human rights abuses,” the Daily Mirror Online said.

It said Fonseka, currently in the US, was reportedly contacted by two US officials, “prompting fears in Colombo that Washington is asserting its legal authority over the war crimes report released last week”.

Official sources here said “this matter is being discussed at a higher level. We have no comments at this point of time”.
More at:

Brutal boys to be questioned
thusitha
BRFite

Post by thusitha »

RayC
I was horrified to see the poor mentally challenged Tamil boy thrashed and drowned by the SL Police!
It appears Rajapakse is punch drunk!
Mate don't try to associate this to a incident based on race. Whole nation was horrified of what happened and the officer who did this would pay for it. There was much more horrific incident few months back where two Sinhala youth were brutally murdered by a drunk SP. So, we have a problem in our police force that needs fixing, but it is unlikely that it was based on ethnicity of the person. Also, I am pretty sure if the police didn't kill the guy some of the passengers (He was already beaten by the passengers earlier) would have done the same, as he was throwing rocks at trains which caused injuries.
After 30 years of war, SL is a brutal place, and that has nothing to do with Rajapkse.
thusitha
BRFite

Post by thusitha »

Kailash
Quoting some fishermen of Mandapam and Rameswaram, the MDMK leader said some Chinese nationals were on board the Sri Lankan boats that attacked Indian fishermen recently
Before you jump to conclusions think about the Hunger Striker in UK who was living on Mac Donalds.

Also think about the the little girl who was seeking asylum in Australia who lied to Australian Media (Talking about hiding in the jungle for days while they were in reality living in Malaysia for years).

Also think about the English teacher, who initially couldn't speak English, but after the asylum bid failed started to speak very good English.

Not all are liars, but thoroughly investigate these kinds of claims. It would be highly unlikely that SL would ever take Chinese on navy boats near India.
santoshriyer
BRFite -Trainee

Post by santoshriyer »

And Arundhathi Roy is at it again

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/01/world ... .html?_r=1
The writer Arundhati Roy recently called for unconditional talks and told CNN-IBN that the Maoists were justified in taking up arms because of government oppression. Others who are sympathetic to the plight of the adivasis say the Maoist violence has become intolerable.
Hopefully Indian forces will destroy these gurrillas before they become another LTTE. Also I saw some articles that Maoists rebels might be trained by the fleeing LTTE, which is bit worrisome.
We indians should not care for a stupid itch like arind - tatti -roy
Sorry for the abusive lingo , i detest her
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

SL Tamil IDP's houses unlawfully occupied by Sinhalese: Report
http://news.rediff.com/report/2009/nov/ ... -in-sl.htm

Having spent months in refugee camps, the homecoming to northern Sri Lanka is turning bitter for nearly 1,500 war-displaced Tamil families, as their houses have been unlawfully occupied allegedly by Sinhalese people. This ordeal was faced by Tamil families who returned to their homes in Trincomalee, Vavuniya and Batticaloa, under the government's resettlement programme. A Ilankai Thamil Arasu Kadchi leader told a local daily that around 1,486 Tamil families were unable to enter their homes in Trincomalee, Vavuniya and Batticaloa, as they found their houses occupied by the majority Sinhala community.

"There are more than 500 families of the majority community who have set up houses and are cultivating paddy in areas that belonged to Tamils before the war intensified," Packiyaselvam Ariyanethiran, a member of ITAK said. He said that he wrote to Lankan President Rajapakse on September 16 requesting a probe and a peaceful solution to the issue. "The President in response to my letter had written to the Government Agents on October 26 asking for a thorough report on the situation. I believe the GAs are yet to make their official statement on the matter. However, once the holidays are over, I wish to meet them and inquire of what they plan to do" the ITAK member told the 'Sunday Nation.'

According to officials, the number of IDPs in various welfare villages has come down to 1,80,000 on 27 October, 09 from 2,88,000 when the war in the island nation ended in May this year with the death of Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam supremo Velupillai Prabhakaran. Ariyanethiran said even those who were displaced in Puttalam (in North West) were also unable to return to their original houses due to such unlawful occupation. He said the encroachment began swiftly and has reached a point where there is a significant presence of the majority community that had not lived there earlier, he claims.

The newspaper report also pointed out a motion tabled in Lankan parliament last week, Tamil National Alliance leader R Sampanthan also highlighted that, "Such unlawful occupation of state land by members of the majority community acting with total impunity has been a continuous process with no action taken by the government."
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

RayC-> I want to ask you this

1) Paki Genrals have far worse what is the US doing.

2) Can they do this to PLA Generals for actions in TIBET

3) Can they book the Saudi Princes for the activity of thier religious police

4) Can they book Bristish and American Generals for activities of AMerican Soldiers in IRAQ and AFganistan- How many US generals have been intrograted for collateral damage.

If the answer to above 4 are no what right apart from being a powerful country acting against a weak country.

I am a Tamilian and after looking at this action there is no doubt who the backers of the LTTE are. Ever since the LTTE top leadership has been killed since there financiers are no longer useful, people like rajaratinam are being gotten rid off.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Stan_Savljevic -> SL Tamil IDP's houses unlawfully occupied by Sinhalese: Report

Very sad to here of this, but the precedent for genocide has been set in Punjabi Pakistan is encouraging all over the world.
thusitha
BRFite

Post by thusitha »

http://www.island.lk/2009/11/02/news1.html
Criticizing a US to move ‘interview’ Chief of Defence Staff General Sarath Fonseka, now on a short visit to the US, the Sri Lanka government says an attempt is being made to target Defence Secretary Gotabhaya Rajapaksa.

Highly placed officials say the government is aware of a US move to use General Fonseka as a ‘source’ against the Defence Secretary, in their investigations targeting the retired infantryman as a possible war crimes suspect.

They said that initially the government believed the US move had been aimed at the Sri Lankan government as it came close on the heels of a recent US State Department report on war crimes, though subsequent inquiries revealed the target of the inquiry was none other than the Defence Secretary.

Nothing could as ridiculous as this as the US forces were facing severe criticism over excesses in Iraq and Afghanistan and cross-border attacks on Pakistan territory using unmanned aerial bombers (drones), sources said.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

I said just after the war was over,that the GOSL and the uniformed men would take some time to "wind down".Instead,they've been put on the defensive immediately by an opposition that has lost local elections and is trying to rope in Gen..Fonseka and corner the GOSL over press freedom,human rights,etc.In this,the GOSL is also under immense attack from western countries who were the sponsors of the LTTE,supporting the diaspora and are furious that their "boy" ,fuhrer Prabhakaran and his closest chums were terminall removed from the scene by the GOSL.That explains why they're gunning for the key GOSL individuals like Rajapakse's brother the Def.Sec. on the war crimes charge.By the same yardstick Bush,Cheney,Rumsfeld,Rice and many others should be behind bars in chains for their horrendous crimes committed in Iraq,Afghanistan,Camp Gitmo and other secret CIA concentration camps hidden around the globe and be on trial at the Hague just as Milosevic experienced and just as Karadic is experiencing.

The GOSL should adopt a two-pronged strategy,diplomatic to deal with the foreign mischief-makers of the west and domestic,where following Emperor Asoka's example could be a the way to disarm critics.Pres.Rajapakse has a huge support base in the island and he can afford to be lenient with his critics.Giving them space and the "oxygen of publicity" is a mistake,.He should simply ignore them and get on with the job of running the country and the rehabilitation of the north and east.

For more than 25 years now,successive Lankan govts. have acknowledged that the Tamils require a political package to redress their genuine grievances,therefore there is no need to "acknowledge" that fact now.That is why the Norwegians were brought in as peace interlocutors.That era is now history.Lanka has entered a new era,a Post-LTTE era and the sooner the diaspora gets "revenge" out of its mind and uses its intellectual ability creatively,not destructively,a structure to resolve the ethnic probelm will emerge.However,well knowing the mentality of the JT mind,it is going to be an uphill task.The ego and arrogance of many of the diaspora will be huge stumbling blocks against the diaspora getting their act together.Events on the ground in Lanka will determine how the Tamil's recover their political ground and heritage.If a new Tamil political generation emerges out of the rubble and devastation of the north and east,fighting for their rights democratically,thay will make the diaspora dispensible.The diaspora cannot "rule" over the Tamil "heartland" and citizens from thousands of miles away.The diaspora must either become good responsible citizens of their host countries,eschewing the sponsorship of terrorism,or return to Lanka now that the LTTE is finished and work from within.They want the best of both worlds,living in the liberal wet,making money and where they can sponsor terror in their home country just as the Kashmiris,Khalistanis and lakhs of Islamic funboo Pakis are doing in Britain,where they have even recently outrageously demanded that the Queen wear a burka,which they will enforce when Britain becomes an Islamic state!
Last edited by Philip on 02 Nov 2009 17:48, edited 1 time in total.
thusitha
BRFite

Post by thusitha »

http://www.island.lk/2009/11/02/news6.html
The Police will seek the Attorney General’s advice to take into custody three more Policemen allegedly involved in last Thursday’s attack a man near the Bambalap-itiya Railway Station.

Police spokesman Senior DIG Nimal Mediwaka told The Island that they would not hesitate to take action against police personnel involved in the incident.
He had been chased and brutally attacked with clubs by a group of persons who arrived at the scene. The victim had jumped into the sea to escape the attackers. He had struggled in the sea for about a hour but his attackers had not allowed him to come ashore although he had pleaded with them. Finally he had been dealt a terrible blow by one of the attackers leading to his death by drowning.

The whole incident had been videoed by a television station which operates in close proximity to the place where the incident took place.
Javee
BRF Oldie

Post by Javee »

thusitha wrote:Highly placed officials say the government is aware of a US move to use General Fonseka as a ‘source’ against the Defence Secretary, in their investigations targeting the retired infantryman as a possible war crimes suspect.

Nothing could as ridiculous as this as the US forces were facing severe criticism over excesses in Iraq and Afghanistan and cross-border attacks on Pakistan territory using unmanned aerial bombers (drones), sources said.
Isnt he still a US citizen? If so, they have every right to interrogate him for the crimes he committed, if there is any.