BR Forums Feedback

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Post by SaiK »

don't want that info be searchable by corporates..

1. lose your job.
2. legal issues/banning websites.
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

Admins, Kindly note.

For safer sharing of email addresses, please use: http://scr.im/
Uses a image instead of text.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

^^ There is an even easier method that LMU students have been using for a long time. :mrgreen:
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

Or just use mailinator dot com
kmkraoind
BRF Oldie

Post by kmkraoind »

Mods, is it possible to create or use a flag counting program so that members can know the BRF lurkers' country location or hits from the countries who are visiting BRF. May be that can be displayed just below "Who is online."
Akshut
BRFite

Post by Akshut »

I was reading BRF Dic., and I found this,
Evidence of this comes from the fact that certain phrases that originated on BRF are sometimes reproduced verbatim in articles by Pakistani journalists, and in at least one TV program, a couple of Pakistani officials were found discussing a subject that was first proposed by a BRF member.
http://sites.google.com/site/brfdiction ... /p/paklurk

Can I get more details about the program, or a possible link to the video and the articles :?:
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

I am requesting archival (in the nuclear issues archive) of the three Pokhran fizzle threads. They are a huge repository of information and links.
niran
BRF Oldie

Post by niran »

kmkraoind wrote:Mods, is it possible to create or use a flag counting program so that members can know the BRF lurkers' country location or hits from the countries who are visiting BRF. May be that can be displayed just below "Who is online."
AFAIK this is paid service.
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

Akshut wrote:I was reading BRF Dic., and I found this,
Evidence of this comes from the fact that certain phrases that originated on BRF are sometimes reproduced verbatim in articles by Pakistani journalists, and in at least one TV program, a couple of Pakistani officials were found discussing a subject that was first proposed by a BRF member.
http://sites.google.com/site/brfdiction ... /p/paklurk

Can I get more details about the program, or a possible link to the video and the articles :?:
Sure. All you have to do is check out the Further Reading section of
http://sites.google.com/site/brfdiction ... y/l/lurker
and
http://sites.google.com/site/brfdiction ... y/f/fak-ap

As for video, there are quite a few instances. I recall there was a couple of Paki politicians and military types discussing an article written by vaidya (Prof. Vaidyanathan to you) where he'd proposed retaliatory tactics after last year's Mumbai attacks.
koti
BRFite

Post by koti »

I'm having problem in using HTML to modify my post. Is there any special way of using HTML here or do I have to revise my HTML concepts?? :!:
Akshut
BRFite

Post by Akshut »

ArmenT wrote: Sure. All you have to do is check out the Further Reading section of
http://sites.google.com/site/brfdiction ... y/l/lurker
and
http://sites.google.com/site/brfdiction ... y/f/fak-ap

As for video, there are quite a few instances. I recall there was a couple of Paki politicians and military types discussing an article written by vaidya (Prof. Vaidyanathan to you) where he'd proposed retaliatory tactics after last year's Mumbai attacks.
Thanks Armen.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

shiv wrote:I am requesting archival (in the nuclear issues archive) of the three Pokhran fizzle threads. They are a huge repository of information and links.
done.
I have also archived the chandrayaan thread in the History archive
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

moved CY thread to mil-tech archives where other space threads have been archived.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Army: News & Discussion

Post by RayC »

GeorgeJ,

Another time I find you using eating cake by the Navy...staring at IVCS screens, you are up for a high jump. You are flame baiting. Watch it man!

No flame baits and no matter who you know you cannot think you are beyond scrutiny and you are free to act cute!
George J
BRFite

Post by George J »

I really don't think you are qualified to be an admin.

You may be a great solider but a really lousy and biased admin. IVCS is OEM BEL reference and if someone does not want to believe it....that's their delusion you are not supposed to be bend over backwards to protect him/her unless you have your personal ax to grind....
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

George J wrote: IA guy kills al-keeda with his bare hands for a living ....
Though you intentions may/maynot be wrong, but your choice of words certainly are.
You are making it sound as if IA guys are some contract killers. :evil:
You are a respected Poster. I have learned great deal from your posts. But recently, you seem hellbent on degrading your reputation with every post.
I know that if you chose to reply, I will get some sarcastic or condescending answer from you. It has become so predictable.
{OK, Gaur, please chill out and spend some time absorbing the "ambience" of BRF. Learn the abbreviations. I would have used the same words as GeorgeJ did. No disrespect intended to the IA or anyone else except to Pakistani terrorists, and to those I don't believe we owe any respect. I HOPE you share those sentiments? Because a sure test of Paki postors on BRF is to see who gets their undies in a knot when comments about their terrorists are posted. Offends you that Paki terrorists are killed by IA soldiers, huh? That Tall, Fair, Tight-Assed Paki terrorists can be killed with the bare hands by well-trained, Short Dark Rice-Eating Yindian soldiers? You "test positive" by that criterion. Just as a point of information, no implication about your background, surely.

Indian Army people engaged in anti-terrorist operations do, I hope, consider it their profession and an honorable duty in protecting the nation, to "kill Al Keedas with their bare hands" or with rifles, or machine guns, or grenades, or bayonets, or whatever. They have my blessings in that.

This IS a Military Forum. To quote the ever-popular Donald Rumsfeld:

Our forces are at war. They are over there to KILL the enemy.
(May not be exact words, but the sentiment is accurate).

Constant whining like yours (and, frankly, of those who think that navy officers sitting for long hours monitoring screens should eat only chappatis, or nothing, never "cake") is what is degrading the environment here. You'd think this was the Madras Ladies' Club, given the level of whining.

FYI, as "chetak" advised, I DO "follow through". I deleted his post to avoid having to give him another warning for his habit of gratuitous snitching and hate-mongering. Reminds me of the (many) girls in my 5th-grade classroom, whose main occupation in life was to go to Teacher and see if they could get Those Bad Boys in more trouble.

He doesn't have much space in his "User Notes" for more warnings without it causing an automatic ban.

If you can refute GeorgeJ through logical debate, PLEASE do so. By all means! You have my sincere best wishes. I can't remember when I last agreed with him on anything, and I've seen him on this forum since 1999 or so, IIRC. :P

If you can't, well... QUIT WHINING please. I am sick and tired of this kindergarten-type "Teacher teacher LOOK! LOOK! That BAD boy is making me cry!!" :(( :(( :((

By all means, do complain about things that violate posted forum guidelines, or basic decency. But come on! To claim that saying that a soldier on anti-terrorist operations kills a terrorist is "painting them as killers" as if that is something bad is.. well.. :((
-- Enlightened and Moderate Mod

BTW (that stands for By The Way, not some imagined abuse, BTW) the "Forum Feedback" thread is still there, for all the :(( Offended Letters to Webmaster, Mr. Seetal etc. }

Thank you.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

chetak wrote: Brigadier saab,

You are far too gentle. :)

In golf as indeed in life, for a swing to be efficient and effective, the correct follow through must become an unconscious and integral part of the stance itself.

Just my 2 paise.
chetak, exactly how are such comments as these, contributing to the discussion or are being helpful in resolving the conflict? It may not qualify as a flame bait but it is definitely fanning the flames. Ray sir is an admin and he has his reasons - if they are unwarranted then there are other admins who will step in & GJ can also complain if required. However, what is NOT required is the online equivalent of a cock-fight and actively egging on rival parties for the purpose of tamasha.

Passively watching is fine - after all we are SDRE onlee and this is an open forum. :)

{Sorry to intrude on your post, but I don't want to take up new posts in this discussion. BTW, I agree with that sentiment, thx, and I deleted chetak's post merely to save him from reaching the number of warnings needed for the Automatic Ban, and to save me the trouble of adding to his already very extensive Chronicles - but chetak, pls note that patience is wearing very thin. Mod-e-Mod.}
George J
BRFite

Post by George J »

Gaur wrote:
George J wrote: IA guy kills al-keeda with his bare hands for a living ....
Al-keeda (pronounced "all keeda") is a term that is in common use on BRF to describe all Pakis backed terrorists it's a play on the word Al-Quaida I would guesstimate it became popular around 9/11...it appropriatly captures BRF contempt for terrorist but does not offend any religious or caste/creed or anthrophomorphic sensitivities. Another term that came up in parallel is "Pandapoker" which........well you know. We used to use the term-madrassa mathematicians, lahori logicians, shanghai statisticians, faislabad fizzicist, karachi chemists and quetta quota but al-keeda and pandapokers are far more effective. I personally will not use the term that has pork in it...that is hitting below the belt.

Now bare hands....refer to bare hands...........and living refers to what you do if you happened to be deployed and happened to encounter Al-keeda. You generally don't invite them for tea. Well the al-keeda bit was my addition...the bare hands bit...was not mine. :) I am only paraphrasing and obfuscating details for a public fora.

I know many of you have discovered BRF recently and BRF usually adopts way too many singular terms to convey entire range of emotions...public policy...military policy...and even difficult for me to keep up with all of them.

Now regarding "degrading my reputation"......I personally don't claim that I have any reputation that I need to protect. If I have stuff that I can contribute to I usually will, if someone says that I am wrong and produced definitive proof I usually accept it (I have eaten crow before...probably long before your time), but if I am not satisfied with your response...and you resort to cheap shots like caste and creed...and I feel there is some sort of admin backing or condoning of the same (since I know people have been kicked out for a lot less) it starts getting a little uncomfortable.

You are free to disregard EVERYTHING I say.....
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

^^
I am aware of the br usage of term "Al-keeda".
My objection was to the part "with his bare hands for a living".
However, you have given a mature reply.
I now understand that it was not your intention to be disrespectful towards the army.
I apologize if I was rude in my earlier post.

{You weren't particularly rude (and I can't imagine GeorgeJi getting flustered by mere rudeness, Houristan knows I have tried my best in that respect!), but please see above for a more objective description. Thx. - Mod-E-Mod}
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Dear Mod-en-Mo,

A minor request: Please add your forum handle at end (eg. "Edited by....") otherwise it is hard to figure out which Breaper visited the hapless! Does the BB software have some setting which allows so?
{Why? :mrgreen: V r totally of 1.0 mind. Maybe < 1.0 minds, but let's leave it at that, pls? And I wouldn't describe the "visited ones" above as "hapless" Maybe "XXXXless" where "XXXX" is something else, certainly not "hap".}
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Is there some setting in BRF's BB software which shows the name of the person who last edited a post. This is especially helpful when mods edit an existing post but sometimes forget to make a note as to which mod edited it.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Raja Bose wrote:Is there some setting in BRF's BB software which shows the name of the person who last edited a post. This is especially helpful when mods edit an existing post but sometimes forget to make a note as to which mod edited it.

Have to look around if such a setting exists.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

^^^ By hapless this na-cheez was referring to self onlee not to others. :twisted:

Added later: OK, Looks like handiwork of faislabadi onlee. :mrgreen:
James B
BRF Oldie

Post by James B »

Mods,

Can I have a username change to James Bond :P for anonymity sake as people I know are going to join BRF. If James Bond is not available James Pond will do.

TIA
George J
BRFite

Post by George J »

Mod-E-Mod wrote:If you can refute GeorgeJ through logical debate, PLEASE do so. By all means! You have my sincere best wishes. I can't remember when I last agreed with him on anything, and I've seen him on this forum since 1999 or so, IIRC. :P
Since 1999??? So Mod-E-Mod ALSO thinks MKI is MKK with canards and TVC. This conspiracy runs deep. :)
enqyoob
BRF Oldie

Post by enqyoob »

May I suggest "Jambunath Bonda" ?
My name is Bonda. Jambunath Bonda.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

raghunath wrote:Mods,

Can I have a username change to James Bond :P for anonymity sake as people I know are going to join BRF. If James Bond is not available James Pond will do.

TIA
errr, if we take it as a french style pronunciation, pond has a rather awful meaning in bangla.
are you sure you want it ?
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

Rahul M wrote:

TIA
errr, if we take it as a french style pronunciation, pond has a rather awful meaning in bangla.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Naughty! Naughty!

I have fallen off the chair laughing.

I had such a start and started laughing that the wheels went back and the chair toppled!
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Rahul mian, you exceed yourself! I had the same thought when I read his post but I refrained from stating the unwashed truth! :rotfl:
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

GeorgeJ

Some tips for Peace on the forum.

There are no conspiracies and one really does not know who is Mod e Mod. I am equally intrigued. That he could edit, indeed shows he is a Mod.

“Give, and it shall be given to you. For whatever measure you deal out to others, it will be dealt to you in return.”

“A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult” {I believe in it and am showing it. I am overlooking your comments on my capability.}

“Love is patient; love is kind
and envies no one.
Love is never boastful, nor conceited, nor rude;
never selfish, not quick to take offense.
There is nothing love cannot face;
there is no limit to its faith,
its hope, and endurance.
In a word, there are three things
that last forever: faith, hope, and love;
but the greatest of them all is love.”

“Weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning. (Psalms 30:5)”

“I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. (Jeremiah 29:11)”

“Be patient and you will finally win, for a soft tongue can break hard bones. (Proverbs 28:13)” .

Quotes from the Bible!!

Since you talk of Lohegaon and IAF, are you George Kuruvilla or which of the brothers are you? Do you know Air Commodore Robey?

Come on, just take it easy and help us to help you all.

Why have a fracas?

There are many things not right and there are many views. Debate with facts and let the posters think for themselves. I am sure, even if they are civilians, it would be awfully wrong and insulting to think that civilians are fools.

Jagan knows more of the Airforces of the world than I do. He has the time and interest. I give way and instead learn from him. Does it make me inferior? No. I know the latest Air Philosophy, but who cares? I cannot reproduce it here. Yet, what Jagan writes it is an excellent treatise for all!

We are here to learn.

Let us thank the Lord for small mercies!

Let us not be proud.

I could tell you much of the IN and where you are dated but I won't. This is not the place. My country comes first and my knowledge to trot around as the last word in the world come later and which will never come till it is in the public forum!

You have a view and so do others. Give them their share of the sun!

Why have we to show off and think we alone know what's up!

Actually, neither you nor I can claim that spectrum!

If we could, then this country has no idea how to keep classified issues under the wraps! If they can't and BRF is the media for foreign intelligence to pick up, I dare say we are doing service to our country!

Anyone thinking that by being clever and showing his knowledge to all and getting accolades and selling his country is a hero, is sadly mistaken. In my dictionary, it reads as a description of a traitor!

I am aware they are harsh words, but then it is not only for you, it is for others too. Watch what you write!

I watched the NDTV programme Big Fight on Communalism. The politicians were plastered. However, what was interesting was how the Media fuelled fat into the fire by one sided reporting! This is how things go wrong!

Likewise, the penchant to show that 'I know everything' also lets out leads for foreign agencies to home on. Are you serving the nation or massaging your ego? Understand how an enemy int agency works. Even tenders that are advertised in the newspapers are closely watched. They have much to say! Sadly, the Indian system has no way but to have open tenders that are advertised!

We are the Blind Men of Hindoostan!

Proud little Peacocks and worthless as meat!

Think it over.

The only axe that I grind is the axe for my country!
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

X-posting from Nukkad thread.

Folks, I'm once again proud to release version 0.3.0 of the infamous BRF Archiver program:
http://sites.google.com/site/brfdictionary/utilities

Additions to this release include a progress status to show how many pages have been archived and how much is left, which works in text or GUI mode. There is also a feature to display a complete stack trace in case exceptions get thrown. If an error message appears, I would very much appreciate a screen shot emailed to brfcompendium at gmale.

This release is named after "Battling" Mani, who was once known as the Douglas Fairbanks of India.

Yensoy and thanks again for all the support.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

sam_kamath
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sam_kamath »

RayC wrote:GeorgeJ

Some tips for Peace on the forum.

There are no conspiracies and one really does not know who is Mod e Mod. I am equally intrigued. That he could edit, indeed shows he is a Mod.

“Give, and it shall be given to you. For whatever measure you deal out to others, it will be dealt to you in return.”

“A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult” {I believe in it and am showing it. I am overlooking your comments on my capability.}

“Love is patient; love is kind
and envies no one.
Love is never boastful, nor conceited, nor rude;
never selfish, not quick to take offense.
There is nothing love cannot face;
there is no limit to its faith,
its hope, and endurance.
In a word, there are three things
that last forever: faith, hope, and love;
but the greatest of them all is love.”

“Weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning. (Psalms 30:5)”

“I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. (Jeremiah 29:11)”

“Be patient and you will finally win, for a soft tongue can break hard bones. (Proverbs 28:13)” .

Quotes from the Bible!!

Sorry sir but finally after reading all this I was wondering what your point is...
I mean you quote the bible, than you beat your own drum saying look i am taking the higher road out...e.g. (“A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult” {I believe in it and am showing it. I am overlooking your comments on my capability.}) .... i mean last I knew modesty was a virtue.

Any ways that ****** thing got me for a minute there however that's not the point I want to make... Now i cannot be a ****** as you guys and bring myself to quote a religious book and explain this ... but in plain and simple terms I fail to see how this post of yours is in any way shape or form related to army news and discussion forum...I mean I dont care if you guys want to fight and break each others heads...I will gladly supply the dandas/books/holy water/lashes/ or whatever's needed to break each othres head but please please stop hijacking a sane forum and take your thing somewhere else ......you sir as a MOD should realize that if you really want to rise above this take your differences to a feedback forum or something....Or are MODS allowed to do this and set trailblazing precedences just because they are MODS..

come on guys grow up....

I am sorry all you guys have hijacked these and other forums too much...
James B
BRF Oldie

Post by James B »

Rahul M wrote:

TIA
I don't know what it (pond) means in bangla but sure seems awful based on the laughs it evoked in other bongs :mrgreen: . If James Bond 8) not available then chokkalingam :P will do.

changed to James B.
Rahul.
Mahendra
BRF Oldie

Post by Mahendra »

Since mods are in a generous mood, can my user name be changed to Mahendra please?
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

vaman wrote:Since mods are in a generous mood, can my user name be changed to Mahendra please?
Done.
Original "Mahendra" account was faik bassport?
Raveen
BRFite

Post by Raveen »

I have been trying to change my e-mail address to
myfirstname @ myfirstname . info

but for some reason the system doesn't accept it, can an admin pls help. Thanks.
- Raveen
Mahendra
BRF Oldie

Post by Mahendra »

Gerard wrote:
vaman wrote:Since mods are in a generous mood, can my user name be changed to Mahendra please?
Done.
Original "Mahendra" account was faik bassport?
Thanks,

No wasn't fake, bassport was confiscated by Rakesh for having Pakistan visa stamped in Pingrezi language on it
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

Too philosophical for understanding?

When pure request does not work, one goes above! It is beyond mortals like me and yet, Peace is what is desired. A connect with the Maker and the higher realms of goodness!

I have no difference since the thread Naval Discussion does not interest me. I am only to ensure there is no firefight and a blaze like Jaipur Oil Depot! I try to stop it, but it does not mean I should burn!

I do not believe in the danda and lashes, even though it excites you and you have ample of it to donate to us. I don't live in Medieval times. No one is a heretic and no one will be made martyrs like Joan of Arc! Warnings and Banning is not my forte. Cooling the waters is my desire. We all lose our cool I blame no one. No need for the Headmaster for lashing out with three of the best (caning, in case you did not know!). The need is for the healing touch!

Thus, the high road. The low road is for lower ideals!

That's what.

Why the Bible?

Guess?

Why OT?

What is your suggestions how to handle this?

I am open to your suggestions!

It is only juveniles who are enamoured to be a Mod. So spare me the homilies!

Modesty is a virtue with those who understand it.

Since you have the name Sam, let the Bible be your guide:

I never said it. The Bible did!

If that is wrong, then so be it. Amen!

Yes the thread is getting derailed, but when it is coming to that and I comment elsewhere, will there be the same lesson if the person does not read it there because he never visits it thinking that he knows all and not concerned what is said as feedback?

Will it serve the purpose and calm troubled waters?

Yes, we require Mods like some who would ban outright and knock some sense! Too much of liberalism, right?

However, the world and BRF has changed!

I have seen draconian laws in my profession and I had the powers to use it. I abhorred it. I never used it then and I will not change my ideas. Are you aware the our judgement under the Army Act is beyond the Supreme Court except for legal technicalities?! Crazy, what? Indeed it is! And after that, to be a Mod is some euphoria that excites orgasms? No sir. Reform the world if one can and not crush it, no matter what your powers are!

It is more difficult to be good than to be a demon!

Try it!

And you say I should grow up!
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Raveen wrote:I have been trying to change my e-mail address to
myfirstname @ myfirstname . info

but for some reason the system doesn't accept it, can an admin pls help. Thanks.
- Raveen
No valid MX record for that email