India put on high alert for 26/11 type attack from Pakistan

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Re: India put on high alert for 26/11 type attack from Pakistan

Post by Gagan »

Now this may sound like a whine, but when the babooze and netas feel the heat they tend to ensure that the forces have the needed basic equipment.

George Fernandes had to enforce a punishment posting on three babooze to siachen who had stalled the motorized sleds tender, I guess that problem got solved thereafter super quick.
The netas had to have their @$$e$ on fire in the parliament attack before they mobilized.

The Arunachal border seems to have cooled down or is not being reported in the media. With this is also gone the urgency for artillery modernization, which is begining to sound like India's Advanced Jet Trainer bees varshiya yojna.
komal
BRFite

Post by komal »

So if India is a weak, pathetic loser why haven't the cunning, genius, Pakistanis launched full borne military attacks on the weak, cowardly Elephant?

Why haven't they used their of tens of billions in armaments from the US to take back Kashmir? Why do they continue to send irregular forces to inflict casualties on civilians? Of what are these Pakistanis afraid? They should able to do so in a matter of hours.

Why don't they send their well funded, well trained, well equipped soldiers into Rajasthan?
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

One must wonder when incidents like SES sound more and more like it was done under diction of some videshi power, how plausible is the conjecture that military modernization is also delayed under the directions of the videshis?
We know for sure that at least missile testing is subject to this aspect, is it then possible that there is a move to not allow the Indian Armed Forces from becoming all powerful such that the "Balance of Power" will be disrupted?

We are talking of delaying not completely denying defense purchases.
Pranav
BRF Oldie

Post by Pranav »

While discussing the possibility of a new 26/11 attack we should also remind ourselves about the "known unknowns" of the original 26/11 attack:

1. Who made the phone call to Zardari pretending to be Pranab Mukherjee.
2. Who is behind the sources of funding in the Gulf.
3. Who was responsible for target selection (esp the Jewish center). Would not the PA, having subsisted for decades on US hand outs, know better than to upset the Israeli lobby?

This is not meant to minimize in any way the culpability of the PA/ISI. But there is more to the story.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

2611 was supposed to sound like an Indian Taliban group did it. Pakistan's been itching to do an = = vis a vis India because the Pan Islamic Jihad that pakistan's been squarely blamed of has never found quite the same resonance within India, (and I suspect that the US visitors have been citing India's example to the pakistanis in private to goad them into action).

This was supposed to be an Indian terror group (we heard the name Deccan Mujaheedeen being mentioned) whose name had cropped up in previous attacks in India and was now attacking foreigners.

The plan failed when kasab was captured alive and got interrogated by the FBI and when India recorded the phone conversations, implicating the pakistanis. The pakistanis have been caught in a spot because of this, and the fact that US citizens have been killed, has caused massa to bear down on the Pak Fauj to not carry out any attacks. India played along by sending dossier after dossier keeping the issue alive in the international media.

I think the fact that massa has leaned so heavily on the pookis is the reason why there have not been random attacks here.

But now the pookis situation is desperate. They desperately need an excuse to not go into South Waziristan. The haqqanis and the mehsuds are sending message after message into pakistani cities (Just like india sent dossier after dossier :) ). Notice how the big attack was in Peshawar and has gradually progressed into the Punjabi heartland ever since the Rah-e-Nijat began.
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

Indians in Afghanistan also need to watch their back. Desperate TSPians could pull a fast one there too.
Airavat
BRF Oldie

Post by Airavat »

komal wrote:So if India is a weak, pathetic loser why haven't the cunning, genius, Pakistanis launched full borne military attacks on the weak, cowardly Elephant?

Why do they continue to send irregular forces to inflict casualties on civilians? Of what are these Pakistanis afraid?
The latter is a low-cost option with plausible deniability. "It wasn't us, it was the terrorists, who are also fighting against us. Or, it was disgruntled young men from within India's unhappy Muslim masses."

DNA

With United States and Israeli intelligence warning of fresh terror strikes in India, the American government has warned its citizens travelling to the country to take safety precautions. A travel advisory was initially issued ahead of the festive season in October, as intelligence reports came in about terror groups out to get maximum mileage from another Mumbai-like strike in major Indian cities.
AnantD
BRFite

Post by AnantD »

I honestly believe that the best response to TSP, this time around, is for all of Indias upper and lower house to proclaim in unison "N F U" and then turn around and wipe TSP off the map with a "FU" applied "N" times over.
:lol: :lol: :rotfl:
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

What exactly does high alert mean in India? In US there are a variety of measures visible to common people.
Raju

Post by Raju »

'Alert' in India basically means that govts responsibility ends with the 'Alert' and people can fend for themselves from hereon.

Unlike US people do not have any legal access to arms for self-defence or any other means of self-protection. So any 'Alert' is just for shifting responsibility and making sure that certain quarters do not have a chance to evade responsibility since they have already been 'alerted'. :mrgreen:
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Red Alert is like in the old Star Trek. When all the employees of the star ship enterprise would sort of hurry about in the corridors and Captain Jim Kirk would be satisfied that Red alert is in place. I suppose in yellow alert the speed of the crew members would be a little slower, more like half of red alert.

But I wonder if there was a higher level than red alert, the crewmen would virtually be tearing each other apart.

That's my informed analysis there.

:P

PS: In the indian context it means that the lowest pandus get posted out on the roads for the night at police checkposts, the Darogas and Sub Inspectors get to set up random check posts. And that's all there is to it.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

it all depends if the redoubtable Mr Spock is manning the 1st officers console and Mr Sulu at the helm, with Miss Uhura manning the COMINT panels.

Capt Kirk can then look presidential sitting on his high chair and flirting with the guest/psycho/druidic priestess/ who is onboard the bridge.

and dont forget old Scotty polishing the valves and oiling the gears of the dilithium powered warp engines down in the belly of the beast.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Red Alert to the average Indian means the cops can harass them; maybe catch some terrorists since those guys may act with impunity given that normally there is no checking. A few years ago I was in Bhopal and taking a 4:45AM train to the south. My wife and kids were in one auto and I was in another with our luggage on the way to the train station before 4:00AM. APJ Kalam was in the city for a speech and there were some credible threats. Well, the cops stopped our auto and searched through the luggage. I complied, but was looking at my watch. I did show the cops our train tickets and explained that we had to take a train and would miss it if this took too long. I was then given a verbal lashing by the cops and told I should have left earlier knowing there was an alert. I said, I did my best as I had to get ready a 20 month old child and a 6 year old very early on a cold morning. I don't know if they wanted money, but none was offered.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

This is OT, but the usual intention is to find something, however small and insignificant it may be, to extract some money. You can see that this is the intent and its visible on their faces.

But seriously, I would love to hear from everyone, what they think constitutes a higher level of alert in the indian system. The way the system is designed, now everyone has drilled a particular response to a 26/11 type incident. If there is a variation to this, the system will be slow to adapt and delays will cost precious lives.
I wonder if a red alert means that apart from the police, the fire tenders for example are kept in readiness, if the hospitals are said to stock up on certain materials etc. In Delhi for example, as per a reliable panwallah's report, the sarkari hospitals had these "Mass casualty" wards, which were hitherto kept locked, and are opened up when ever there was news of a casualty. Usually these were drills carried out by staff of the hospital, who apparantly are instructed to carry out x number of drills per year.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Well, a Red Alert does make a difference. If police setup a checkpoint and they have a radio, it can be effective as the terrorists have to re-route on usually congested & poorly maintained local roads. It would waste so much of their time or they could hit a pot hole, as big as a moon crater, or speed breaker and it would either mess up their vehicle or blow themselves up. If local emergency response, like govt. hospitals and the fire brigade, are told that during the time of Red Alert there will be no casual leave, it can make a difference.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

High alert means cops and security personnel who are already too few on the ground will be taken off leave and non essential work and pressed into alert mode for emergencies.
santoshriyer
BRFite -Trainee

Post by santoshriyer »

I dont think anything would happen. As far as I know, f the govt had really good intel about terror ops going to take place, they would never let it out in the public as mass hysteria and Panic will create a situation where appropriate action from law enforcement agencies could get hampered. There is something more sinister brewing. I would not take P chidambaram's comments lightly. Its just that we cannot decode it being the common man. Its too easy a way to invite terrorists to attack india , by giving them a direct challenge. In fact, this was the very reason Indians didnt attack after 26/11 statin that this is what the terrorists wanted. A war between pakistan and india, to take the pressure off from the TTP.

Is chidambaram making the wrong move?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

It could be to signal maasa to do more and keep the orcs under control.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Or it could be Jingoism being expressed after the plot has been busted. The pakistani LET terror plot has been busted in Chicago.

But it is possible that the Chicago terror bust has given some inside info to GoI
ramana wrote:It could be to signal maasa to do more and keep the orcs under control.
Agreed. More likely to be this than anything else.

Massa does not want to be disturbed with what he is doing. For once, India doesn't want to disturb massa when he is on the job doing good things. :mrgreen: So the pookis have to be reigned in - all agree.
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

Goa is ripe with targets around this time of year. Indians by themselves are not a good enough target any more--they just die quietly in the center pages of the World media--but Indians mixed in with lots of westerners & Jews are a good, loud target, specially if it also does damage to India's economy and reputation as an International tourist hot spot. Current Muslim anger against US/Israel could play into this also.

I don't think they will hit Bangalore because they know that might wipe out the paki army. They just want a nice small skirmish so they can take the heat off their strategic assets and bring Cashmere back to the front page as a nuclear flashpoint. If something happens, nothing short of a full takeover of POK will amount to any kind of retaliation.
santoshriyer
BRFite -Trainee

Post by santoshriyer »

US intelligence agencies have alerted the Union home ministry about possible26/11-type terrorist strikes on coastal states such as Maharashtra, Gujarat and Karnataka. The warning came a few weeks ago, home ministry sources said.
The alert points to two possible scenarios. One is a sea-borne attack originating from the Iranian port of Chabahar, a free-trade area being developed with assistance from New Delhi, said the sources. The port is a hub for fishing trawlers, especially those belonging to a Pakistani syndicate.The other scenario is that Pakistani terrorists could seize Indian fishing trawlers and use them to strike.

The two possibilities have been discussed by Indian agencies over the past few days. Navy sources say it is almost impossible for terrorists to travel all the way from Chabahar to Mumbai, or to another city on the Indian coast, to launch an attack. It would take a minimum of four days to travel through the high seas, which are regularly patrolled by world navies because of heightened piracy activities in the area.

The BSF has also raised an alert about a possible intrusion by terrorists through the Sir Creek area. According to the BSF, the disputed area is the most vulnerable spot, and it would only take a few hours for a group of terrorists to sneak into India from the Pakistani side.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Now, Army Chief warns of 26/11 type attack
Army chief Deepak Kapoor on Tuesday warned that 26/11 type Mumbai terror attacks were a possibility and that India has to take all steps to counter such strikes.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

All the agencies are raising alerts about an impending attack. Two possibilities:
1. Pakistan really has already sent in the jihadis, and a attack is underway.
2. Pakistan might pull back the jihadis they sent and make it sound like a hollow alert by India.

There is a certain way in which these alerts are being raised by everyone.
1. HM
2. Navy
3. CRPF
4. Army Chief
5. IB

have all raised alerts about an impending attack. Now either there is really an attack on or the system is acting in unison to achieve certain goals.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

islamists are big on anniversaries of attacks to make more attacks. then there is the waziristan situation, and the pakjab situation... what better than to go for another parakram scenario to galvanize the momin?

i had a fondant fantasy this morning whilst i was still half asleep... (no, not that sort!)... i saw two Su30's strafing a terrorist laden trawler on the high seas, I saw a Sukanya class boat in high speed manoeuvres, I saw burning boat debris...

inshallah... one day!
RameshVarma
BRFite -Trainee

Post by RameshVarma »

I think something big is going to happen......with TSPN doing its exercise and now TSP canceling leaves for all the army personals
....http://www.zeenews.com/news575763.html .......
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

There is a possibility nothing will happen. There have been too many warnings by too many people on this side. That in itself is a deterrence.
The pakistanis will stand exposed again like after 26/11 with international condemnation. The kerry lugar bill specifically points out that pakistan's neighbours will be watching pakistan's behaviour. There goes pakistan's aid money if they get implicated again.

Pakistan army's entire agenda is to have Indians killed, in a manner that GoI knows that the pakistanis did it, while maintaining enough plausible deniability so that the videshis don't have too much trouble obfuscating the fact the the pakistanis did it.

But then once in a while they bite off more than they can chew, kill foreigners, get their terrorist captured alive, and get skinned in the international media. In a way 26/11 got too big to be ignored, and probably lead to those conditions in the Kerry Lugar Bill.

There's pakistani strategic brilliance for you - in action since 1947 - guaranteed to screw themselves sooner rather than later.
RameshVarma
BRFite -Trainee

Post by RameshVarma »

Gagan wrote:There is a possibility nothing will happen. There have been too many warnings by too many people on this side. That in itself is a deterrence.
The pakistanis will stand exposed again like after 26/11 with international condemnation. The kerry lugar bill specifically points out that pakistan's neighbours will be watching pakistan's behaviour. There goes pakistan's aid money if they get implicated again.

Pakistan army's entire agenda is to have Indians killed, in a manner that GoI knows that the pakistanis did it, while maintaining enough plausible deniability so that the videshis don't have too much trouble obfuscating the fact the the pakistanis did it.

But then once in a while they bite off more than they can chew, kill foreigners, get their terrorist captured alive, and get skinned in the international media. In a way 26/11 got too big to be ignored, and probably lead to those conditions in the Kerry Lugar Bill.

There's pakistani strategic brilliance for you - in action since 1947 - guaranteed to screw themselves sooner rather than later.

Even I want to strongly believe that there is nothing going to happen...But here we are dealing with Paki's whose Lahore logic has always never failed to amaze us.
Now here is something which I think could be a probable scenario,
I think the attack on India may act as diversion for TSP to not only move the troops away from South Wazristan to Eastern border but also to remove the Zardari (as become more pain in the a$$ for TSP) and have Kiyani(or someone who strongly backs TSP) to takeover the presidential position. While diverting the immediate attention of the US in stopping the war. When things eventually cool down US will be left with no options but to deal with TSP with Kiyani as the president(over issues like KL bill).
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Kiyani doesn't seem to be the type who would go quietly into retirement. But given pakistan's history, this will be the first ever coup without the blessings of massa, since massa is staunchly behind Zardari or at least democracy in pakistan these days. The pakistan military has exhibited unprecedented restraint in usurping power this last year. The temptation has been very high, they have done a coup over far lesser reasons in the past. The only reason they are holding back is because of massa.

The other option is a change of the presidency itself to make it more agreeable to the pakistan military, however for now it seems that Zardari is safe, the only viable option other than squeezer for the president's post is Badmash sharif. And Badmash is not in massa's good books ever since he was having hookah and pindi chana with OBL and Al Quaida.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Y. Kanan wrote:...........
Nah, forget that. As Bush would say "Bring it On" ... let their terrorists come and kill us. We're in no danger of running out of people anytime soon! :)
is that what Indians are ? bait ?

while I agree completely with the rest of your two posts, this sounds extremely callous.
Kati
BRFite

Post by Kati »

shiv wrote:High alert means cops and security personnel who are already too few on the ground will be taken off leave and non essential work and pressed into alert mode for emergencies.
It also means that common man on the street should be on look out for strangers, suspicious looking objects, etc. A day ago, an abandoned plastic bag in a major Kolkata hospital raised a hell. Bomb disposal sqad had to come in. ....... Anyway, it's good that people take the matter seriously. Also, I think that hospitals are prime soft targets.
a_kumar
BRFite

Post by a_kumar »

Also, lets not forget to add this to the mix..

Rhetoric from PA that is getting louder everyday.
-Indian funding for Taliban..
-Display of Indian arms (marked in Chinese!!!!) provided to Taliban..

Could they be trying to preempt Indian reaction by pointing out Baluchistan (Thanks SeS) and now Taliban :?: Or is it the same old blaming India for everything!
Venkarl
BRFite

Post by Venkarl »

RameshVarma wrote:
...I think the attack on India may act as diversion for TSP to not only move the troops away from South Wazristan to Eastern border ....

Sirs,

As per BRF's analysis, I agree that Pak army brass wants to relieve itself from "US pressure of acting more on Talibs" to have its forces move to pak's eastern border. But, if that happens will US not get a free run of drone attacks across SWAT and NWFP?

Regards,
Venkat
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I have seen no reports of SIMI modules being busted anywhere in the last 6 months. note after 26/11 media were full of reports of SIMIan training camps run in rural MH, north KT and so on.

where did all these semi trained fighters and sympathizers vanish? slunk away to the gulf or just biding their time? were many made to disappear?
vipins
BRFite

Post by vipins »

Trade fair is going to start in a week in Delhi,it could be a potential target.
Umrao Das
BRFite

Post by Umrao Das »

shiv wrote:High alert means cops and security personnel who are already too few on the ground will be taken off leave and non essential work and pressed into alert mode for emergencies.
That means SHQ's of all Brigadiers , DIGs IAS babus and above can not have the official cars with flags being used for shopping during office hours in canaught place, brigade road, Anna Sali or Abids like shopping centers.
RoyG
BRF Oldie

Post by RoyG »

Ilyas activating terror modules in South India: IB

November 03, 2009 16:01 IST

Ilyas Kashmiri may have risen from the dead. Contrary to the US intelligence' report in September, the chief of Al Qaeda's [ Images ] 313 brigade has survived a drone attack and is currently working on carrying out intensive fidayeen strikes in India, specifically South India.

The Indian Army [ Images ] chief and sources from Indian intelligence agencies have confirmed that India is facing a grave threat from terror outfits. Intelligence agencies believe that Kashmiri has shifted his focus from the US troops to India.

In an alleged interview given to the chief of Asia Times' Pakistan bureau, Ilyas has claimed that he is "hale and hearty" and is reportedly focused on an operation in India called 'Ghazwa-e-Hind', meaning 'Anger against India', and the attacks are aimed at making a point to India that any tie-up with the US will not be tolerated.

Indian intelligence and law enforcing agencies will have to take this threat seriously as Kashmiri had stated in the interview that the attack would be on such a large scale that India would be stunned that the attacks in Mumbai [ Images ] would fade in gravity compared to the one he was planning, the report said.

Sources from the Intelligence Bureau told rediff.com that with the US heat on Kashmir [ Images ]i extremely high, he has now moved to Pakistan occupied Kashmir from Wazirstan and is in touch with cadres of both the Lashkar-e-Tayiba [ Images ] and the Harkat-ul-Jihadi.

Kashmiri is expected to push at least 40 terrorists into India to carry out the attack in a major city of India. The idea is to strike at a place where the US interests would be hurt most, said IB sources.

A phone call intercept picked up by the IB suggests that the attack may most likely be in South India.

According to intelligence sources, the Al Qaeda has decided to use some of its finest fighters for the mission and Kashmiri has been training these men personally, under the aegis of the 313 brigade.

Kashmiri, according to the IB, has issued a statement to his cadres asking them to activate and coordinate the cells in Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh immediately, apart from those in West Bengal [ Images ], Delhi [ Images ] and Uttar Pradesh [ Images ] to aid the operation.

The IB believes that Kashmiri would be using cadres from the local modules to provide logistic support like data on key installations, and the route for sending arms and men for the attack.

Kashmiri is planning to use cells of the LeT and HuI, which are considered strongest in Andhra Pradesh, since he believes that these units are most trustworthy.

This time, Kashmiri may use militants from Pakistan and Afghanistan only for the attack, and local modules may restrict to logistics and in helping the Fidayeens take a safe route to their destination.

Most of the local modules are in sleeping mode presently and it is just a matter of days before cadres move towards PoK, the IB said.

Vicky Nanjappa in Bengaluru

http://news.rediff.com/report/2009/nov/ ... dia-ib.htm
Mahendra
BRF Oldie

Post by Mahendra »

Just my 2p

Please don't speculate as to where the pigs might try to strike
If the information that we have is credible then our agencies would have an rough idea of the targets.
By speculating here we might just be identifying soft targets and this info may be used by the pigs to effect last minute changes to their plans
FWIW
Rangudu
BRFite

Post by Rangudu »

Andhra = Tirupati, Hyd IT areas etc. ?

Also, AP is a good launching pad for Chennai and Tamil Nadu...
RoyG
BRF Oldie

Post by RoyG »

Going by the rediff report, the IT biggies seem like the likely target.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Rangudu wrote:Andhra = Tirupati, Hyd IT areas etc. ?

Also, AP is a good launching pad for Chennai and Tamil Nadu...
And gives plausible deniablity with local takleef a al "Deccan Mujahids". Cant sue that in Chennai!
B'lore might mean heavy local police action with a govt that might act without gloves in the matter.
AP is self constrained with political squabbles.
If its Tirupati a whole lot of secular polemics will go on.