India put on high alert for 26/11 type attack from Pakistan

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Re: India put on high alert for 26/11 type attack from Pakistan

Post by ramana »

Army Chief warns of 26/11-type attacks
pioneer.com
PTI | New Delhi
Army Chief Deepak Kapoor on Tuesday warned that 26/11-type Mumbai terror attacks were a possibility and that India has to take all steps to counter such strikes.

"We have to take all steps to prevent any Mumbai-type attacks. We cannot rule out apprehensions of such possibilities," Kapoor told reporters here on the sidelines of an Army function.

To a question if there were any terror alerts in the recent times, he said the South Asian region is infested with terror groups. Be it India, Afghanistan or Pakistan, "we have to collectively battle such threats." :mrgreen:

Noting that Pakistan too had come under terror attacks in recent times, he said both Defence Minister AK Antony and Home Minister P Chidambaram had asked us to be cautious against such threats.

To allegations from Pakistan Army that they have seized some Indian-made weapons from terrorists involved in recent attacks, the Army chief said India had no intention of causing trouble inside Pakistan and that it did not support any terror group in the region.

"We want Pakistan to be stable and peaceful," he said.

On the naxal menace, Kapoor said the Army would continue to train paramilitary forces to fight against the naxals and it would be an ongoing process.

"The battle against naxals will not be over in one day. To eradicate naxalism, it is going to take time. It is going to be a long drawn battle," he said, giving examples of counter- insurgency operations in Jammu and Kashmir and the Northeast which had gone on for decades.

He said providing strategy and equipment to paramilitary forces in the fight against naxals would be a futuristic option.
Why 'have to' instead of 'has'?
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

While ostensibly this is a sporting matter, it still begs the question as to why are the SSCB folks not going to J&K citing security issues? And these people are already out there, so it sounds like a sore thumb to me.
Kashmir match: BCCI says Army's apology won't do
http://www.ndtv.com/news/sports/kashmir ... ont_do.php

Do they have some more info than what is known to the aam aadmi?
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

I was surprised about the services decision to not play Ranji match in JK.
AnimeshP
BRFite

Post by AnimeshP »

Muppalla wrote:I was surprised about the services decision to not play Ranji match in JK.
I guess some heads will roll for this one ...
kasthuri
BRFite

Post by kasthuri »

National Defence College on Lashkar target: FBI
The conversation indicates that the LeT was giving priority to its attack on the National Defence College in New Delhi over the other targets, including the facilities of the Danish newspaper, which had published a cartoon of the Prophet Mohammad.
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

SECOND EDITORIAL: Indian ‘evidence’ in South Waziristan

Information Minster Qamar Zaman Kaira and Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) Director General Athar Abbas have jointly vowed having “found concrete evidence of New Delhi’s involvement in the militancy in South Waziristan”. It has been decided to bring the matter to the attention of the Indian government without deviating from the policy of seeking a peace dialogue with New Delhi.

What is the evidence? Large quantities of Indian arms and ammunition, literature, medical equipment and medicines recovered from Sherwangi near Kaniguram. This is the place where the Uzbek and other foreigners had located themselves after the army launched the Rah-e-Nijat operation in South Waziristan. The foreigners have left the Kaniguram area and have relocated themselves in North Waziristan. Because of the suddenness of evacuation, they have had to leave behind the telltale signs of where they were getting their logistical support from.

India is not going to say “sorry we did it”. It is going to label the ‘findings’ as ‘staged’ by Pakistan to shift the blame for cross-border terrorism on to New Delhi. A similar case of Indian interference in Balochistan has been denied by India, but the international community, keen to see Pakistan succeed in clearing its Tribal Areas of terrorism, is gradually becoming aware of what the Indian policy in Afghanistan is doing to their efforts.

Talking to India through a protest note will not do. The NATO-US states, now deployed in Afghanistan, have to be brought in on the implications of what India is doing. New Delhi is following a strategy that is going to hurt India in the long run. This must be made clear to the global alliance against terrorism. *
Disillusioned by GOI's refusal to restart talks with Pakistan, Najam Sethi has taken a equally hardline stance against India. He is bracing for the coming Jehadi attack by blaming India for the attack by refusing to restart talks....."see you brought it on yourself".

This is what he will say.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

But that large qty of mortar rounds were not even those made in India! In fact Gagan had posted the same lot number on rounds made by POF, Wah Ctntt.

So they just made up a placard and displayed it.
Y. Kanan
BRFite

Post by Y. Kanan »

Rahul M wrote:
Y. Kanan wrote:...........
Nah, forget that. As Bush would say "Bring it On" ... let their terrorists come and kill us. We're in no danger of running out of people anytime soon! :)
is that what Indians are ? bait ?

while I agree completely with the rest of your two posts, this sounds extremely callous.
Truth be told, every time I watch the news, I try to convince myself the deaths of my countrymen don't matter, that my fellow Indians don't care. so why should I? I try to rationalize away the anger, to convince myself that apathy or inaction are in fact the most logical responses. When that doesn't work, I tell myself we are a weak, perhaps even despicable society, unwilling to fight back and thus unworthy of saving. I tell myself these things in a vain effort to insulate myself.

But none of that works because it's impossible to just stop caring. I think most of you can identify with what I'm saying.
santoshriyer
BRFite -Trainee

Post by santoshriyer »

Dear Kanan,

Appreciate your words. Its the same sentiment that I share.
kittoo
BRFite

Post by kittoo »

Y. Kanan wrote:
Truth be told, every time I watch the news, I try to convince myself the deaths of my countrymen don't matter, that my fellow Indians don't care. so why should I? I try to rationalize away the anger, to convince myself that apathy or inaction are in fact the most logical responses. When that doesn't work, I tell myself we are a weak, perhaps even despicable society, unwilling to fight back and thus unworthy of saving. I tell myself these things in a vain effort to insulate myself.

But none of that works because it's impossible to just stop caring. I think most of you can identify with what I'm saying.
Couldnt have said better. Exactly the same sentiments. Try as we might to not care and to think everything just goes on, somewhere the anger is still there.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

http://news.rediff.com/report/2009/nov/ ... t-list.htm
Two boarding schools, five-star hotels also LeT hit list

Expect another Beslan type thing soon.

Rather than tying ourselves into knots about wondering what jehadi is supporting whom and which faction of the Paki establishment supports whom, or whom we should talk to, it serves to keep things simple: there are thousands of schools, and hundreds of hotels. We cant defend all. If the above is true, then it follows that we need to fix the source, at whatever costs.

But in a nation where "monkey's hand in cookie jar aka Kashmir" is touted as massive Chanakian strategy by GoI and papers are written on it and your, mine and our friends/families are treated as dirt, there is little hope for a solution.
vavinash
BRFite

Post by vavinash »

http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect/daw ... ls--il--08

Damn no IED's in 2 days. Whats happening to pakhthun freedom fighters.
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

what's going on? May be it is the first time that an incumbant Army Chief made such a blunt statement.

India allowed perpetrators of terror attacks to escape: Army chief

India had repeatedly allowed the perpetrators of terror attacks to get away, Indian Army chief Gen Deepak Kapoor said on Wednesday while stressing that the country could not "afford a repeat of 26/11".

"The US has not allowed a second 9/11, Indonesia has not allowed a second Bali," Kapoor said, adding that India had allowed those behind the "2001 Parliament attack, Delhi blasts and Mumbai terror attack" to get away.

"India cannot afford a repeat of 26/11," the Army chief said while addressing a seminar on Network Centricity and National Security organised by the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) in New Delhi.

He also underscored the significance of network centricity for better Intelligence gathering and sharing.

"There has to be speedy flow of Intelligence and updated data for speedy decision based on the geographical location and a swift action by nearest security agencies," said Kapoor.

Endorsing his view, Minister of State for Defence MM Pallam Raju said considering the "fragile internal security scenario", there had to be new centres to facilitate rapid action across the country and better coordination among intelligence agencies and security forces.
samuel
BRFite

Post by samuel »

Generally and loosely speaking, what the US or say west does or produces, India adapts or imports a few years later. By 2002 US said that's it, individual liberties have limits. Not one more on our soil if we can. They ramped up their yard work and accelerated gardening and pottery projects around the world. Things have tightened visibly, quickly, and dramatically as we all remember. I used to shuttle across the border often those days and boy did they change. Do you remember the transformation at airports, for example. Many other countries have quietly gone about upgrading and closing in. We gave warnings during that time including one most recently....'if it happens again, we'll retaliate" or something similar. So everybody is now issuing warnings, a new culture has dawned? The cacophony is somewhat similar to what was happening in the US during the early color code days. Nevertheless, we might finally be doing something about it though the details are unclear...I am glad they are keeping us "in the loop," but I am wondering where all this is going. Is this a new kind of disclaimer, or a better insurance?

S
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Y.Kannan and others, Nishkama Karma. Need to do what is right regardless of the masses. At our level that means to carry the message forward and repeatedly. Some time, somewhere the message will click.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

One criticism that will be levied on the IA chief is time and again they have taken too long to mobilise. Is he ready if force is an option or will he give his customary four weeks to mobilize?
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Samuel,

Indian airport security predates 911 and was considered top notch too.

Someone on BR had theorized that it is the Indian netas + industrialists that were too cautious - so as not to upset the Jihadis, to protect their investments, etc. With the last Mumbai attack that bubble seems to have been broken.

This theory seems to have got a good deal of support in the two articles in which the Army chief seems to state that the problem is institutional will more than anything else. Even obtaining proper equipment seems to be blocked by the very institution that is under attack!!!

The other angle is that India - whether we like it or not - has become somewhat more important to others. And they must be pushing India to do a LOT more WRT security!!!!!!! Ironic.
samuel
BRFite

Post by samuel »

Yeah, across (northern) US borders it was generally a joke for a long time. "where do you live, have a nice day." after 9/11, boy...things may have calmed now, it has been a while since (three was no suggestion for indian airport security there, but the changes in US airports was used to illustrate how things changed in US).

However, if you are suggesting that because the airport security was considered "top notch," we were therefore also performing excellently stopping terror in India, not sure if the facts back you up, though I will agree that quantifying that would require knowing what proportion of attacks we did manage to stop. Some may say letting one through is too many. What I do know is that they've continued like clockwork...on and on, each time getting an eyeball or something ready.

Why are they pushing us on security -- internal security-- if that is the hypothesis here?
(as opposed to, we've decided to go "overt" or some other rationale).

S
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

NRao wrote:The other angle is that India - whether we like it or not - has become somewhat more important to others. And they must be pushing India to do a LOT more WRT security!!!!!!! Ironic.
Absolutely. Attack in India by TSP/Taliban is similar problem for US and west though not as much as in their homeland. If Parl attack did not occur there wouldn't be Amritraj visits and subsequent earth-shattering events. After Mumbai also there may have been similar events though behind the scenes. If one remembers, the disappointment of Robert Blackwell at the turn of events after parl attack and also friendly suggestions to home minister regarding security etc are all because of not being able put the genie back in the bottle. These days any highend-non-militiary/government asset in Indian cities that can attract attention consists of westerners what that means is in an attack there could be western casualities.

When I visited Mumbai ( Powai area) for six weeks during last two months, I have seen westerners driving Indian cars on Indian roads in Indian style. I have even seen few riding (in fact driving) the motor bikes with no helmets. There are many international schools for the ITVity types where westerners' kids are studying too. Similar situations/secnarios are there in other big cities of India these days.

TSP will only attack such targets and attacking few SDRE Train bogies or chat bhandars is not going to get the bang for the buck that used to get and they may have been tired of such attacks. In a do-or-die battles the attacks have to be on an attractive scale and this is where the western intel's jitters come into picture.

Inidian retaliation warnings may be messages for some other folks other than TSPians.
samuel
BRFite

Post by samuel »

So, since west has an interests in India, and its citizens are here, and because they are high value targets, therefore India is being pushed to improve her security to protect them better. Part of that improvement is this early warning, potentially leading to prevention. Is there more intelligence coming from them as a result or is this just us announcing more to the public? Does it also imply someone told us, "India you are now weapons free, you should act," where there was hesitation before because no such ok was given?

Could it just be that the govt. has decided that it needs to become far more responsive for terrorism, and Chidambaram has drawn the line and is making it happen?

S
Umrao Das
BRFite

Post by Umrao Das »

Terrorism is very profitable business for Netas, especially from Mumbai, Kollkatta and Delhi. WE have problems at home as Army Chief says. Lukily

Last edited by Umrao Das on 05 Nov 2009 00:07, edited 1 time in total.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

but also :

Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Why do folks think that this time its going to be any different? What is the basis for expecting there will be "retaliation" this time around?
Umrao Das
BRFite

Post by Umrao Das »

There wont be retaliation, Its just asking Hit Me Here, to make another file with suthlee (twine thread with metal insets at the end to tie up bundle of papers like babus do since east India Company) tied paper type in carbon copies or cyclostyled in triplicate and submit to Sd and Zaradari t take action. Then wait at the fax machine for response ( the fax machine will not have paper as it has used to Kumon type math by IAS babus son preparing for IIT entrance exam while he is in third grade, thinking about application of limits...)
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

I don't beleive there will be any retaliation but I think this is all posturing to stop the plans at the formative stages. Messages to the global-geo-political-handlers.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Samuel,

I was responding to your "India adapts" when I said that Indian airport security was top notch THEN. Actually it was pre-911.

However, the handling of infiltration has been slack. In fact on the eastern border it was non existent and then even when a barrier went up way in Indian territory the GoI seemed rather sensitive to BD yapping. Given that BDians have been using an osmosis means of getting into India - for decades - "security" was never an issue outside of BR type of mindset.

Even today I have to doubt if the netas - as a group - are really serious. I would not at all be surprised if some deals have been cut (as seems to be the case with Maoists) at some levels. After all D-Company has more than tentacles in western India, while ND issues Interpol search warrants for the heads of D-Company in Pakistan!!!

Indiraji clamped a national emergency around 1974 to get rid of Naxals and they have made a dramatic come back calling themselves Maoists. They run a parallel eco in some 20-25% of the country?

Cannot happen without deals being cut.

I feel that is not a matter of how many enter India. It seems to me that it is a matter of what these yahoo do in India. As long as they do not disrupt the business of some top people in India nothing is really going to happen.

On retaliation, I think there will be in some form. But, I suspect it is more in conjunction with the US. I doubt that this is an independent Indian decision. A pincer move to make the Democratic Paki (whatever that is) wake up. I feel that there is a great deal of Indo-US cooperation going on - specially WRT intel gathering. I THINK the US has great SIGINT and India has great HUMINT. The combo I THINK is turing out to be too good for each other to bother about too much protocols.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

ramana wrote:Y.Kannan and others, Nishkama Karma. Need to do what is right regardless of the masses. At our level that means to carry the message forward and repeatedly. Some time, somewhere the message will click.
Ekla Chalo Re
Tagore's English translation

If they answer not to thy call walk alone,
If they are afraid and cower mutely facing the wall,
O thou of evil luck,
open thy mind and speak out alone.

If they turn away, and desert you when crossing the wilderness,
O thou of evil luck,
trample the thorns under thy tread,
and along the blood-lined track travel alone.

If they do not hold up the light when the night is troubled with storm,
O thou of evil luck,
with the thunder flame of pain ignite thy own heart
and let it burn alone.
RoyG
BRF Oldie

Post by RoyG »

'Two boarding schools, five-star hotels also LeT hit list'

November 04, 2009

Two leading boarding schools located in prominent hill stations in a north Indian state and a few five star hotels in popular tourist spots are targets of Pakistan-based terror outfit Lashkar-e-Tayiba [ Images ], a senior Home Ministry official said on Wednesday.

According to intelligence inputs, the terrorist group was planning to attack the two schools and the hotels, which are regularly frequented by foreign tourists, he said.

The information came in the wake of reports that David Coleman Headley and Tahawwur Hussain Rana, arrested by the Federal Bureau of Investigation in the US for plotting a major terror attack in India at the behest of LeT, have revealed that they were also planning to attack the National Defence College in New Delhi [ Images ].

The official said the intelligence agencies gathered information about the possibility of LeT attacks a few weeks ago and forwarded it to the concerned state governments for providing adequate security at the schools and the hotels.

Additional security personnel have also been deployed at the NDC located on the Tees-January Road in New Delhi, where the memorial of Mahatma Gandhi [ Images ] is located.

When asked if the government knew about the terrorists' plans and also steps taken to protect the NDC, Minister of State for Defence M M Pallam Raju had said, "I think there is a constant review of threat perceptions and targets... And we work on the safeguards adequately.
"You rest assured that adequate precaution is taken wherever there is a threat perception," he said.

http://news.rediff.com/report/2009/nov/ ... t-list.htm
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

x-posted from India...
GoI machinery has come up with this unique mechanism to preempt the rage+fury that followed after mumbai-2008. And believe it or not, people are actually buying this. I have heard people tell me -> but PC has already warned us. As if that absolves these napumsaks of all responsibility. But politically, its working for now.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

I have suspicion of Beslan type operation by Paki as its for sure will invoke retaliation. If true, response must be at strategic level and without warning .
Last edited by Prem on 06 Nov 2009 00:05, edited 1 time in total.
samuel
BRFite

Post by samuel »

But the main thing to learn from alert is

1. What can mango people do to prepare/upgrade level of alertness.
Here, in the states, I am constantly inundated -- if you see something, say something -- current threat level is orange -- for your safety,.... --- f*ck it's endless, but I'm clueless which hole to dive into if it goes off. So, what are some things to notice going to work, on the road, in the mall, shopping, etc.?

2. A bomb will go off, sometime. What about triage etc. So, I mean what can ppl do other than stand and stare?

3. How to build local citizen networks and make good connections with law enforcement and medical types.

If India has been put on high alert, why are we not discussing how we can respond to it, couldn't BRF prepare ads for various steps and put them in news papers, eg? I mean a seriously thought out thing for people on scale of small communities to cities and wire them with govmand...

Wait, there was a thread just for that, right?
jmt
S
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Prem wrote:I have suspect Beslan type operation . . .
Every new attack will surpass the previous one in brutality and depravity, especially when we don't do anything in return.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

ramana wrote:x-posted from India...
GoI machinery has come up with this unique mechanism to preempt the rage+fury that followed after mumbai-2008.
The rage and fury were forgotten as quickly as they erupted. It will briefly occupy centrestage on the upcoming anniversary day.
kenop
BRFite

Post by kenop »

Did Pakistan conceal truth on Delhi terror plot?
A senior Journalist from Asia Times when talking with TIMES NOW Editor-in-Chief Arnab Goswami on Thursday (November 5), hinted at Islamabad knowing in advance of the terror plot.

Syed Shahzad said an al-Qaeda operative was arrested by Pakistani officials in September in connection with the planned attack.

But, none of this appears to have been communicated by Islamabad to New Delhi.

However, Shahzad claims it was this timely arrest by Pakistani officials which stopped an attack on the National Defence College.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

in my office we held a fire evacuation drill recently with assistance from KT state police and today a mock ambulance evacuation drill with one patient.

but I too agree a Beslan style atrocity is the next step up the ladder from 26/11.

now that NSG/SF are said to be deployed in metros , for maximum effect a non-metro but still large city like a state capital could be chosen. connected enough for live TV, but far enough to have a few hrs of open mayhem.
a_kumar
BRFite

Post by a_kumar »

Has anybody noticed any discussion or noise on what Media's role is in such an event?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

samuel wrote:But the main thing to learn from alert is

1. What can mango people do to prepare/upgrade level of alertness.
Here, in the states, I am constantly inundated -- if you see something, say something -- current threat level is orange -- for your safety,.... --- f*ck it's endless, but I'm clueless which hole to dive into if it goes off. So, what are some things to notice going to work, on the road, in the mall, shopping, etc.?

2. A bomb will go off, sometime. What about triage etc. So, I mean what can ppl do other than stand and stare?

3. How to build local citizen networks and make good connections with law enforcement and medical types.

If India has been put on high alert, why are we not discussing how we can respond to it, couldn't BRF prepare ads for various steps and put them in news papers, eg? I mean a seriously thought out thing for people on scale of small communities to cities and wire them with govmand...

Wait, there was a thread just for that, right?
jmt
S
Well the US Govt has a site which can be a good template to be tailored to suit Indian conditions for organizations, families and individuals:

http://www.ready.gov/

Why dont jingoes in India create an Indian version and put it up. Beats inaction.
D Roy
BRFite

Post by D Roy »

sounds ominous doesn't it?

PN putting out to sea for "exercises".

PLA exercising in Tibet.

America kissing PRC ass.

I hope people have wargamed such scenarios.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Also Obama visiting Asia skipping India. Is India being prepared as a target with US watching from the sidelines.

Thursday, November 05, 2009
Obamamania, Asian-style, likely to be more muted

* Simply not being George W Bush will be less of an asset for President Obama in Asia than it has been for him elsewhere

By Matt Spetalnick and Sara Webb

AFTER being feted in Europe, mobbed in Africa and even cheered in the Middle East, Barack Obama will test the limits of his global starpower next week in his debut presidential tour of Asia.

Most signs are that even as the young American president has lost some of his lustre at home, he remains popular overseas and can expect a warm reception on a 10-day trip to Japan, Singapore, China and South Korea. But “Obamamania”, Asian-style, is likely to be more muted, given that simply not being George W Bush will be less of an asset than it has been for him elsewhere.

On top of that, Obama will have a hard time translating his personal stature into tangible gains during a visit where the main issues - the North Korean nuclear standoff, trade with China, the US troop presence in Japan and the struggle for a climate change deal - do not present any easy wins. “Obama’s celebrity status will be a plus for him, but Asians are going to be more pragmatic in dealing with him,” said James Mann, an Asia expert at the Johns Hopkins University School of Advanced International Studies in Washington.

Since taking office in January, Obama has been especially popular in Europe where many greeted him as the antidote to eight years of Bush, whom they deeply resented for the 2003 US-led invasion of Iraq and for what they derided as “cowboy diplomacy” toward the world. Obama was welcomed by adoring crowds in his early trips to the other side of the Atlantic, with only Russia giving him a cooler reception reflective of testy post-Cold War relations between Washington and Moscow. Europe’s love affair with Obama, who has promised a new era of diplomatic engagement, was widely seen as a major factor in Obama being awarded the Nobel Peace Prize last month despite having scored few significant achievements on the world stage.

While many Asians have been captivated by Obama’s personal narrative as the first US black president, he has never been as popular there as in Europe. In fact, polls taken before last year’s presidential election showed his Republican rival John McCain favoured in some Asian countries. And the fact is Bush was never as unpopular in Asia, where trade and economic interests always trumped issues like the Iraq war, as he was in Europe. “There’s less of a desire in Asia that Obama be a transformational figure who breaks with the Bush era,” Mann said. “Many actually want to see some kind of continuity.” As Obama sets the tone for his administration’s relations with Asia’s economic powers, he may face his greatest challenge with the Chinese, who seem the most wary of his policies. Though many Chinese admire his personal appeal, that does not outweigh general concern about his administration’s intentions, especially given its recent decision to impose punitive duties on tyre imports from China. “Whoever becomes president of the United States won’t be very friendly to China. After all, China is a competitive rival of the United States,” said Wang Shuyang, 47, a high-tech company executive from Shanghai.

Some even feel China was on a more comfortable footing with Bush. “We knew where we stood,” said Shi Yinhong, professor of international security at Renmin University in Beijing. Like other export-driven Asian countries, the Chinese worry a Democratic administration will be more vulnerable to protectionist pressures at home, a fear that persists despite Obama’s insistence on the importance of free trade. Some human rights activists fear Obama will put human rights in China on the back burner to curry favour with its communist government, the biggest holder of US treasuries and a powerbroker on North Korea. The White House denies this. Japan, Obama’s first stop next Thursday before attending an Asia-Pacific summit in Singapore, will pose another challenge as he tries to cement ties with new Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama, who wants to steer a more independent diplomatic course from its US ally.

Bilateral issues such as US military bases on Japanese soil remain sensitive and could cloud Obama’s visit. But in general, Obama’s vision of a nuclear-free world should give him a boost among Japanese with a pacifist tilt. North Korea’s nuclear defiance will likely dominate Obama’s stop in Seoul. Many South Koreans greeted Obama’s election a year ago as a welcome change after Bush, who was seen as too rigid in dealing with the problem. Despite that, Obama has little to show for his diplomatic outreach to Pyongyang. He has also made little more progress than Bush did in getting a long-stalled US-South Korea free trade deal through the US Congress. Although Indonesia won’t be on Obama’s itinerary this time, his popularity runs high in the world’s most populous Muslim country, where he is embraced almost as a native son because he lived and went to school in the capital Jakarta as a child. “People like him because he seems to be one of us,” said political commentator Wimar Witoelar. Indonesians are eagerly awaiting a chance to celebrate Obama’s links to their country. The White House says he has agreed to visit there next year. reuters
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

You mean "patsy"!