Discussion on Indian Special Forces

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
atreya
BRFite

Re: Discussion on Indian Special Forces

Post by atreya »

@ Dmurphy
I was about to say the same thing. The pic is "titled" as that of an NSG commando. I think it is wrong.
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

chetak wrote:
Rahul M wrote:with all the institutes and research orgs there people would have thought there was a better case for b'lore than either chennai or hyderabad.

The simple but inescapable fact is that Bangalore is in a BJP state.
On such weighty considerations are our national security decisions made.

The state government made repeated requests for also basing the NSG at Bangalore but were turned down, by chidu of all people.
Chektak, please stop painting purely administrative decisions with political colours and whine like a DDM. Jodhpur (in Rajasthan - INC ruled, close to Paki border) and Guwahati in Assam (INC ruled, grappling with an ever increasing insurgency and frequent attacks) are also covered by the IA's SFs and BSF respectively.

Also, does it ever occur to you guys as to how many NSGs we have, to fan them out so thin across India? As Surya mentioned a few posts back, the fact is, one can never cover a country like India enough!

And are you also hinting that the IA's SFs are less capable of handling these situations than the NSG?
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

Dmurphy wrote:^^^

Does it cross your mind that it could be MARCOS?

Its seems like he's been photographed at some warship launching ceremony.
Yes, the thought did cross my mind.
Black clad command sporting a beard..the first thing that crosses your mind is MARCOS.
But look at the background, I am able to spot three police personnel.
But they could be MARCOS, but I somehow do not think so.
That is why I posted the pic, I thought that perhaps someone could confidently id it.

ADDED LATER: Could there be a turban under that cap?
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

Gaur wrote:But look at the background, I am able to spot three police personnel.
But they could be MARCOS, but I somehow do not think so.
The MARCOS have been seen in public without a mask/scarf of late during the launching of warships where they have been stationed for security. This is definitely one of those times. So its definitely a MARCOS.

Just out of curiosity, where did you find this pic? Can you post the original link?

Added later: Come to think of it, the MP5 he's carrying is the one used by the NSGs. The MARCOS are known to carry MP5K, which is not what that is.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

Dmurphy wrote: Just out of curiosity, where did you find this pic? Can you post the original link?
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/sh ... 1&page=140
Ravi Karumanchiri
BRFite

Post by Ravi Karumanchiri »

If I may offer my entirely uninformed opinion re: this gentleman's beard... I was under the impression that everyone stationned on a war ship must also do double-duty as a fire fighter, in case of fire; and that this necessitates the wearing of an oxygen mask -- that will not fit snuggly over a beard. Furthermore, that a commando might need to employ tear gas or other such gas during operations, and that similarly, a gas mask will not fit snuggly over a beard. If I were to offer my naive opinion, I would say the gentleman is not a full-time MARCOS or a regular-duty NSG commando. He is probably most often tasked with close protection (bodyguard) duties, in plain clothes; but on this one occassion, for some reason, was assigned to do point protection. Just a guess.
ParGha
BRFite

Post by ParGha »

Ravi Karumanchiri wrote:If I may offer my entirely uninformed opinion re: this gentleman's beard... I was under the impression that everyone stationned on a war ship must also do double-duty as a fire fighter, in case of fire; and that this necessitates the wearing of an oxygen mask -- that will not fit snuggly over a beard. Furthermore, that a commando might need to employ tear gas or other such gas during operations, and that similarly, a gas mask will not fit snuggly over a beard.
Depends on what type of gas-masks is used by the Indian Army. Most modern designs operate on the principle of forced intake, so they require a close seal with the facial skin; one may have to shave off the area on which the seal will settle. But I presume there may be other designs out there. I don't think oxygen masks require a skin seal.
A Sharma
BRFite

Post by A Sharma »

Special Forces being modernised to deal with asymmetric warfare: Army Chief

AGRA: Army Chief General Deepak Kapoor has said that asymmetric warfare was a "matter of concern" for the country and the Special Forces were being modernised and equipped to deal with it.

"There is a whole set of new equipment which we have thought of for the Para (Special Forces) modernisation, especially in view of the fact that asymmetric and fourth generation warfare are a matter for concern," Gen Kapoor said on the sidelines of the Parachute Regiment reunion here.

In asymmetric warfare, non-state actors fight against conventional state machinery and apply innovative ways for carrying out strikes such as the 26/11 attacks.

Commenting on the spurt in activities of Taliban in Pakistan and Indian armed forces' preparedness to deal with the threat, he said, "I would like to ensure the country that we are ready to face any challenge."

On the training standards and the equipment of Indian Special Forces, Army training command chief and senior para officer Lt Gen A S Lamba said, "I think we are among the best and we are making endeavours to improve our equipment and are very well geared up to put our best foot forward."

Terming the Indian Special Forces as one of the best, colonel of the Parachute Regiment Lt Gen P C Katoch said, "I think that is the reason why the US army and Special Forces train with us.

"They were surprised to see our experience and achievements. It is not just the Americans we are training with, we are doing so with the British, Russian and many others forces also."

He added that the Army was making sure that the Special Forces were keeping pace with their requirements.

"Keeping the future in mind, we are planning on what is to be procured for short and long terms," Katoch said.

The seven units of the Special Forces are deployed in counter-insurgency areas in Northeast and Jammu and Kashmir.

After the 26/11 attacks, these units were also given the task of training Infantry units for close-quarter combat and urban terrorism.

Personnel from these units are sent on deputation to the National Security Guard also. Havaldar Gajendra Singh from 10 Para (SF) unit was awarded the highest peace-time gallantry award Ashok Chakra posthumously for his role in eliminating terrorists involved in the Mumbai attacks last year.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Colonel of the Parachute Regiment Lt Gen P C Katoch said
Is this the same gentleman who led the assault on terrorists in Golden Temple?
nainanmark
BRFite -Trainee

Post by nainanmark »

Gaur wrote:http://s698.photobucket.com/albums/vv34 ... nt=NSG.jpg
I came across this pic on militaryphotos.net forum.
It was captioned as NSG commando.
But are NSG allowed to grow beards?
I thought that no one except for NAVY allowed beards.
Look at the pic on his ID card. He is wearing a black beret. NSG berets are black while MARCOS use sand colored ones.
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

nainanmark wrote:while MARCOS use sand colored ones
MARCOS wear maroon berets. Shiv Aroor's blog had pics of them wearing maroon berets some days back.
VijayKumarSinha
BRFite

Post by VijayKumarSinha »

Dmurphy wrote:
MARCOS wear maroon berets. Shiv Aroor's blog had pics of them wearing maroon berets some days back.
That doesn't look like a beret to me. I think its a rolled up balaclava mask or just a light ski cap.
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

VijayKumarSinha wrote:That doesn't look like a beret to me. I think its a rolled up balaclava mask or just a light ski cap.
We weren't talking about what he's wearing in the pic. We were discussing the pic on his id card. Look closely.
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

@ DMurphy
MARCOS wears sand coloured berets, according to Wikipedia. I googled it: http://www.tribuneindia.com/2000/20000122/ind2118a.gif
They are wearing sand coloured berets here also

AFAIK, maroon berets are worn by Para Commandos and "maybe" the Garud Commandos. Not sure about the latter.
nainanmark
BRFite -Trainee

Post by nainanmark »

Dmurphy wrote:
I searched on BR and found this pic which has the sand colored beret. It seems strange the color choice that is.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... m%26um%3D1
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

Originally Marcos wore sand colored berets and the Garuds wore black berets.
However, both of them have now moved on to maroon berets similar to that of paras.

Marcos:
http://livefist.blogspot.com/2009/10/ph ... arine.html

There are several pics of Garuds wearing maroon berets in Aero India thread.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

garuds originally started with black berets but later requested for the maroon berets that are traditionally associated with SF. something similar might have happened with MARCOS.
KiranM
BRFite

Post by KiranM »

^^ Didnt we have pics recently of IN chief addressing MARCOs in J&K? If my memory is correct they were using maroon berets, not traditional black.

Regards,
Kiran
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

MARCOS never had black berets. and that pic is in the post above mine !
Riza Zaman
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Riza Zaman »

Been out of touch for a while. so please forgive my question - what weapon is this MARCOS operative using?

The pic's a bit large, but I'm not sure how to make it into a thumbnail ... can a mod do the needful please?
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

That looks like a Negev to me. And that commando is powerful! :shock: Firing an LMG like an assault rifle!! :eek:

Or maybe, it is the lighter version of Negev. Called the Negev Commando, according to Wikipedia
KiranM
BRFite

Post by KiranM »

Rahul M wrote:MARCOS never had black berets. and that pic is in the post above mine !
My bad. :oops: Meant to say their traditional sand coloured beret. was in a hurry to leave work. Mixed up the colours. Also cannot access pictures from office.
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Gaur wrote:There are several pics of Garuds wearing maroon berets in Aero India thread.
Those were Army SF on protection duty of COAS
krishna_krishna
BRFite

Post by krishna_krishna »

That is M249 FN MINIMI
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

Aditya G wrote:
Gaur wrote:There are several pics of Garuds wearing maroon berets in Aero India thread.
Those were Army SF on protection duty of COAS
Both IA Para and Garuds were present at AI 09.
And please check the comments on that thread, the Garuds were also wearing maroon berets. There is no doubt in that regard.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

krishna_krishna wrote:That is M249 FN MINIMI
Nope, thats a Negev. AFAIK, India does not have MINIMI.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

rohitvats wrote:
Colonel of the Parachute Regiment Lt Gen P C Katoch said
Is this the same gentleman who led the assault on terrorists in Golden Temple?
Yes. He also survived an assassination attempt at hospital where he was admitted after being severely wounded in the 1st assault on the Akal Takht positions.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Raja Bose wrote: Yes. He also survived an assassination attempt at hospital where he was admitted after being severely wounded in the 1st assault on the Akal Takht positions.
That was the very reason I asked the question. Dad was posted in the hospital (Base Hospital - Jalandhar) and I vaguely remembered his name being mentioned. My old man knows him. IIRC, he served as GOC of IX Corps(?) and his brother is also from IA.
Craig Alpert
BRFite

Post by Craig Alpert »

Force One commandos set to guard Mumbai
Over 1,600 young policemen from the state had expressed their willingness to join the Force and were given rigorous training by Israeli and German trainers, Iyengar said. The information would first go to the local police station and then a Quick Response Team (QRT) would deal with the situation and later, Force One would take charge.
The QRT is trained in such a way that it would reach a place within 20 minutes. It has also been provided bullet proof jackets and armed vehicles, Iyengar said.
What is that last statement suppose to be a JOKE??? How can you not provide the local police officers these equipments considering they will be the first to arrive and then give it all to QRT's and Force 1???? One may think that even after 26/11 there might have been some sense into the BABUS and provide the cops the necessary equipment to deal with situations.. but guess LOCAL POLITICS and votes of MARATHI MANOOS is more important for Chavan then getting the cops the right equipment.... :evil:
Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

^^ I think what they are trying to say is that the local policemen will inform the QRT and not engage the threat themselves. Once the QRT is there (within 20 mins) they will start engaging the threat. Then Force One will come in.

On a side note, anyone know if they will use helicopters? Mumbai traffic can be tough to get across especially in the peak hours.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

moved to the correct thread. will reply there.
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... &start=800
mmasand
BRFite

Post by mmasand »

shameekg wrote:On a side note, anyone know if they will use helicopters? Mumbai traffic can be tough to get across especially in the peak hours.
Mentioned in an earlier article...http://www.mid-day.com/news/2008/dec/17 ... nister.htm
Two helicopters are being requisitioned for swift movement of commandos across the state.
Although i did read somewhere that navy choppers would be used if the need arises and mumbai police would be acquiring a chopper in the near future for special events etc.

Another source quotes ex-HM Jayant Patil 'Suggesting' a chopper for emergencies due to traffic snarls.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

nainanmark wrote: I searched on BR and found this pic which has the sand colored beret. It seems strange the color choice that is.

SAS wears sand coloured berets
Sanju
BRFite

Post by Sanju »

rohitvats wrote:
Raja Bose wrote: Yes. He also survived an assassination attempt at hospital where he was admitted after being severely wounded in the 1st assault on the Akal Takht positions.
That was the very reason I asked the question. Dad was posted in the hospital (Base Hospital - Jalandhar) and I vaguely remembered his name being mentioned. My old man knows him. IIRC, he served as GOC of IX Corps(?) and his brother is also from IA.
Rohitvats,
OT. Coincidentally, we were in Jalandhar too at that time. My Pa was part of the Op. It was difficult times.
Cheers,
S
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

^^^ If you can disclose....which unit was your Dad in during that time? Was he amongst the units which went in?
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

sanju

Does your dad have any other notes to add to what is known? If possible?
Sanju
BRFite

Post by Sanju »

Raja,

IIRC correctly, his Brigade was split into 3, with one of the units the 26 Madras led by Lt. Col. KMG Panicker went in. The 14 Mahar was sent to Patti area on the other side of Amritsar for the expected push from the Pakis. He was with the Fighting Fourteen.

Surya,
I cannot add anything that is not already known with regard to the fighting inside.

From a point of view of what happened inside, he was aghast at what the terrorists had done in the Harmandir Sahib. Used condoms etc were found inside, huge amount of Canadian and American currencies. VCR and other electronics that were not readily available till the later eighties were found there.
The army was extremely strict with its soldiers in making sure that none took things out as "loot". When I say soldiers it included everyone - officers too. There was a certain CO who was about to taken to task for the troops under his command had taken a VCP or something. Let me just say that the issue was resolved without any one being censured.

On another note Gen Sundarji, who was from Mahar (although the Colonel of the Regiment of the Mechanised Infantry Regiment, he was always fond of the Mahars which was his original regiment) told his staff to buzz-off so that he could spend time with "my boys".

It is unfortunate that people say that the Op BlueStar was not a success. To my mind it was a success even if for the only reason that the lessons learnt provided success for the following Op. Black Thunder. Op. Bluestar is probably the Op where the IA was blooded in a large scale CI CQB.

Surya there are a lot of questions that I wanted to ask him - unfortunately cannot.

Sorry again for the OT.

edited to correct the spelling of Lt. Col. KMG Panicker
Last edited by Sanju on 10 Nov 2009 12:01, edited 1 time in total.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Sanju wrote:
Rohitvats,
OT. Coincidentally, we were in Jalandhar too at that time. My Pa was part of the Op. It was difficult times.
Cheers,
S
I can understand. Dad also served for a short duration as ADC to governor and with all the activity going around, it was one heck of a time.

And as they say, IA is one heck of 'small' place. You do not know who you may bump into who was in same station/school/colony while you were there.
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

Some of dads friends (who became some of the senior commanders in the army ) had mentioned that the army was concerned about the charged atmosphere around the time, and many attrocities that they uncovered were kept hidden so as not to create any further bad blood.
The army had found many naked women inside 'the temple', who had been violated by the terrorsists. There were many dead ones too whose bodies were lying around because the terrorists could not dispose them off.

I wish all this info was brought into public domain, so that the focus could be put on the real culprits, instead bad mouthing the army.