Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
sunny y
BRFite

Re: Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

Post by sunny y »

rohitvats wrote: PARA(SF) is responsible for security of serving and retired COAS. As for the security of Dalai Lama, the men are from SFF but wether they are serving and deputed or ex-SFF :D is omething I'm not aware of.
Hi Rohit.....pardon me if I sound too naive but AFAIK SFF is under RAW. Right ??

I mean is it ok/possible/ or I'm not quite sure about the correct word for them to protect Dalai Lama. Wasn't it formed to perform covert operations ??
I mean they are not like SPG.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

@Avinash, yes thats the pic.
@rohitvats: hmm...plausible - the webbing looks like what the Para Cdo used. AFAIK the first batches led by Harinder Sood slithered down into the camp so this might be the 2nd load of para commandos after they secured the perimeters. But then why would this pic be in the ARTRAC Gallery since it was no training exercise?! :-?
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Hi Rohit.....pardon me if I sound too naive but AFAIK SFF is under RAW. Right ??

I mean is it ok/possible/ or I'm not quite sure about the correct word for them to protect Dalai Lama. Wasn't it formed to perform covert operations ?? I mean they are not like SPG.
Well, i do not have the exact answer but I'm making an educated guess: The GOI does not openly extend any support to Tibetan Govt in Exile and considers HH The Dalai Lama as a 'religious' leader onlee. Given the nature of freindship with our northern neighbors providing any official security cover in form of SPG detachment will further add fuel to fire (not that I care).

So what is best way to provide security to HH The Dalai Lama? SFF troops trained in proximity security. These are SF at the end of day. How dfficult is it to train a handful of them for proximity security? It will also ease in liason/communication as both parties (Tibetan Govt and Security Detail) are Tibetan. And finally, in addition to professionalism and Trg. of the Security Detail, the dedication and loyalty of troops securing their supreme religious leader will be fanatical and unimpeachable.
Anshul
BRFite

Post by Anshul »

rohitvats wrote:
And finally, in addition to professionalism and Trg. of the Security Detail, the dedication and loyalty of troops securing their supreme religious leader will be fanatical and unimpeachable.
That makes a lot of sense...and reminds me of a similar arrangement the Iranians had with the GOI.

Iranian Commandos were in charge of the personal security of a prominent SHIA leader in the K Valley.This was in the early 90's.

Does anyone recall this info? Around the sametime when our IA boys were learning the ropes.

Encounters involved battle hardened kabuli wallah's who could take a full burst from an SLR and still get away.
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

Paramilitary soldiers walk in a market area, decorated in preparation for the arrival of Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama, in Tawang, in the northeastern Indian state of Arunachal Pradesh, Saturday, Nov. 7, 2009. This remote town in the Himalayan foothills spruced up its monasteries Friday to prepare for the Dalai Lama's arrival, a trip highlighting the growing friction between China and India, two nuclear-armed giants vying for economic and political power in the region.

Indian paramilitary personnel inspect the bodies of three villagers allegedly shot by Maoists at Kusbani forest area in Midnapore, some 130 kms west of Kolkata on November 7, 2009. A number of Maoist leaflets written in Bengali and which appealed for punishment for the people who raised funds in the name of Maoists, were found at the site.

Indian paramilitary soldiers stand guard near the site of an explosion in Srinagar, India, Monday, Aug. 31, 2009. Suspected Islamic insurgents fired at government forces and exploded a hand grenade separately in crowded shopping areas in the Indian portion of Kashmir on Monday, killing two paramilitary soldiers and wounding seven others, police said.

Indian paramilitary soldiers stand guard at a security check post in Itanagar, capital of Arunachal Pradesh, northeast India on October 11, 2009. With the final countdown for the October 13 State Assembly polls in Arunachal Pradesh, the state is working for peaceful elections in the Himalayan region which shares a 2,000 km border with China.

Indian security personnel stand guard at the site of an ambush, near Oksu village, 25 kilometers (15 miles) east of Imphal, India, Saturday, Sept. 12, 2009. Separatist rebels ambushed a paramilitary vehicle Saturday, killing four soldiers and injuring four others in India's insurgency-wracked northeastern state of Manipur, police said.

Indian police and paramilitary soldiers stand near a damaged police bus after an explosion in Srinagar, India, Saturday, Sep. 12, 2009. Suspected Islamic militants set off a powerful blast in Indian-administered Kashmir killing three people and wounding at least seven others Saturday, a senior police official said.
abhishekm
BRFite

Post by abhishekm »

rohitvats wrote:

I mean is it ok/possible/ or I'm not quite sure about the correct word for them to protect Dalai Lama. Wasn't it formed to perform covert operations ?? I mean they are not like SPG.
Well, i do not have the exact answer but I'm making an educated guess: The GOI does not openly extend any support to Tibetan Govt in Exile and considers HH The Dalai Lama as a 'religious' leader onlee. Given the nature of freindship with our northern neighbors providing any official security cover in form of SPG detachment will further add fuel to fire (not that I care).

So what is best way to provide security to HH The Dalai Lama? SFF troops trained in proximity security. These are SF at the end of day. How dfficult is it to train a handful of them for proximity security? It will also ease in liason/communication as both parties (Tibetan Govt and Security Detail) are Tibetan. And finally, in addition to professionalism and Trg. of the Security Detail, the dedication and loyalty of troops securing their supreme religious leader will be fanatical and unimpeachable.
Thanks guys. Good to know that the COAS is in safe hands. I sincerely hope the Dalai Lama's security is foolproof. In the event of a conflict (even a low intensity one) I wouldn't put it past the Chinese to eliminate him. They will then say it's the fault of a rouge Tibetan or something and the Tibetans will be left leaderless and rudderless. The Chinese have successfully infiltrated various Tibetan emigre organisations across the world. Hope strict vetting procedures were/are in place for those charged with guarding the big D.
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

A battalion of Special Police Officers (SPO) guard a Salwa Judum relief camp near Bhairamgarh, some 255 Kms south of Raipur on October 28, 2009. If living on a battleground between the Indian state and the Maoists was not bad enough already, the tribal Indian population must also contend with another force in the forests that acts as a deadly counterweight to the rebels. The government-backed paramilitary defence movement called the Salwa Judum (People's Army) has recruited some of the villagers who objected to the rigorous military training and the Maoist brainwashing. In 2008, India's top court expressed its disapproval of state backing of Salwa Judum, which stands accused of gross human rights violations, including arming children to fight the so-called 'Red Menace.'. Indian security forces are set to launch a major offensive against Maoist rebels whose insurgency has escalated across the country, posing a challenge to the authority of the state led by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh. AFP PHOTO/Deshakalyan CHOWDHURY (Photo credit should read DESHAKALYAN CHOWDHURY/AFP/Getty Images)
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Iranian Commandos were in charge of the personal security of a prominent SHIA leader in the K Valley.This was in the early 90's.
:shock: :shock:
Is this true?
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Raja Bose wrote:@Avinash, yes thats the pic.
@rohitvats: hmm...plausible - the webbing looks like what the Para Cdo used. AFAIK the first batches led by Harinder Sood slithered down into the camp so this might be the 2nd load of para commandos after they secured the perimeters. But then why would this pic be in the ARTRAC Gallery since it was no training exercise?! :-?
RAF Chinooks were uniform olive green colour. This doesnt look like a RAF Chinook and hence is likely a picture from an exercise with USAF.
shyamd wrote:Image
Indian security personnel stand guard at the site of an ambush, near Oksu village, 25 kilometers (15 miles) east of Imphal, India, Saturday, Sept. 12, 2009. Separatist rebels ambushed a paramilitary vehicle Saturday, killing four soldiers and injuring four others in India's insurgency-wracked northeastern state of Manipur, police said.
That is an armoured vehicle and yet there was a loss of four troopers. There seems to be no visible sign of an explosion impact on the vehicle. But the tyres are flat and insides are banged up. Wonder if the boys in this vehicle survived.

Who are those troops in dark green?
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

So, am assuming that this is the current SFF camo scheme....

They really do look menacing.
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

Refer the pic above ^^^

I have a question for the Gurus here.
I saw on TV today, NSG guards protecting Mulayam Yadav. They had their MP5 barrels pointing skywards. Whereas in the above pic, you have armed personnel, with the same gun, pointing downwards.

What is correct? What the logic behind the two different stances?
anirban_aim
BRFite

Post by anirban_aim »

That is an armoured vehicle and yet there was a loss of four troopers. There seems to be no visible sign of an explosion impact on the vehicle. But the tyres are flat and insides are banged up. Wonder if the boys in this vehicle survived.

Who are those troops in dark green?
Though I do not have first hand information on this particular event but most of these ambushes take place on narrow roads dominated by hills and in a place where the road curves. The normal Modus Operandi is to immobilise the vehicle and force the trropers to step out since the rebels hold the dominating heights there is very low chance of survival. Unless you are specifically train and have counter tactics.

The trrops I can Identify are AR and Manipur Police Comandos.
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

Dmurphy wrote:Refer the pic above ^^^

I have a question for the Gurus here.
I saw on TV today, NSG guards protecting Mulayam Yadav. They had their MP5 barrels pointing skywards. Whereas in the above pic, you have armed personnel, with the same gun, pointing downwards.

What is correct? What the logic behind the two different stances?
Both are correct. Based on my experience. In training they tell you to point it towards the ground in case of accidental discharge (you don't want to injure anyone accidentally). But some weapons might be more comfortable to point in the air.
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Hmm mebbe those commandos were not SFF <ducks for cover> One of them is guarding the Arunachal Pradesh CM.

Indian Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh, Dorjee Khandu (C) visits the Yid-Gha-Choezin prayer hall grounds in Tawang in the northwestern corner of Arunachal Pradesh state on November 7, 2009 on the eve of the Dalai Lama's visit.
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

Well, this is mysterious. If it ain't SFF (don't think SFF guards CMs), and it ain't SPG (conclusion based on attire and camo), which force is it?
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Probably the commando unit of Arunachal Pradesh Police... Just a guess...
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

This probably should have gone into Humour thread but ...

http://bullterrorists.awardspace.com/

Sanjay Simha wont be pleased
anishns
BRFite

Post by anishns »

Damn! The chinese are everywhere :roll:
Jagan wrote:This probably should have gone into Humour thread but ...

rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Jagan wrote:This probably should have gone into Humour thread but ...

The wat TAMIL ELAM has been printed on the Mig-21, it seems as if it advertising the name of sponsorlike Formula-1 :lol:
Akshut
BRFite

Post by Akshut »

sum wrote:Image
So, am assuming that this is the current SFF camo scheme....

They really do look menacing.
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

shyamd wrote:Both are correct. Based on my experience. In training they tell you to point it towards the ground in case of accidental discharge (you don't want to injure anyone accidentally). But some weapons might be more comfortable to point in the air.
It was the MP5 in both the cases. And its only the NSGs that I've seen hold the barrel upwards. Just my observations though.
abhishekm
BRFite

Post by abhishekm »

Dmurphy wrote:
shyamd wrote:Both are correct. Based on my experience. In training they tell you to point it towards the ground in case of accidental discharge (you don't want to injure anyone accidentally). But some weapons might be more comfortable to point in the air.
It was the MP5 in both the cases. And its only the NSGs that I've seen hold the barrel upwards. Just my observations though.
I have a newbie doubt...

Why is it that some people put a thick layer of masking tape (black colour sticky tape) on the outside cover of an AK-47 magazine? I've seen it so often on television. What purpose does it serve?
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Generally done to tape two magazines together.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

^^ that actually reduces reload time, else operator will have to reach out for another magazine (which is usually strapped in).
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Image ... 723983.jpg
The Chief of Air Staff, Air Chief Marshal P.V. Naik with the expedition IAF women mountaineering team which scaled Mt. Stok Kangri in Leh region, in New Delhi on August 17, 2009. The leader of the team is Wg Cdr Bhavna Mehra, ex-Suryakirans, a Private Pilot License holder and a Qualified Paratrooper
How Wg Cdr Mehra wears Parachute qualified badge ... are'nt all pilots parachute qualified? Also, why is it unique that she holds a pvt pilot license? Is she a 'lateral' hire into the IAF?
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

^^^ She is pvt pilot not necessarily an IAF one - 2 different things. She wears her para wings only coz she got parachute qualified separately. Moreover I am not sure if all IAF pilots are compulsorily static line qualified (which lets you wear the para wings).
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

para wings are only given when a full para drop course is taken. pilots would not normally take this course. if they have to bail out, they bail out!
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

Sid wrote:^^ that actually reduces reload time, else operator will have to reach out for another magazine (which is usually strapped in).
you can see it in any of the die hard movies!
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Aditya G wrote:

How Wg Cdr Mehra wears Parachute qualified badge ... are'nt all pilots parachute qualified? Also, why is it unique that she holds a pvt pilot license? Is she a 'lateral' hire into the IAF?
Pilots are not para qualified. they have to do their five jumps to get their wings.

The lady officer got her PPL before she joined the Air Force. She was the PR Officer with the Surya Kirans in the early 2000s. Kapil would know better.
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

India Army soldiers burn bushes near an international border fencing to make sure no infiltrator is left there, after a landmine explosion, at Ballad post in Samba, nearly 45 kilometers (28 miles) southwest of Jammu, India, Monday, Nov. 16, 2009. Fierce gun battles and a roadside bomb killed three Indian soldiers and two suspected Islamic insurgents early Monday in the troubled Himalayan Kashmir region.
Indian Army soldiers patrol near the international border fencing, after a landmine explosion at Ballad post in Samba, nearly 45 kilometers (28 miles) southwest of Jammu, India, Monday, Nov. 16, 2009. Fierce gunbattles and a roadside bomb killed three Indian soldiers and two suspected Islamic insurgents early Monday in the troubled Himalayan Kashmir region.
sunny y
BRFite

Post by sunny y »

Hi....my post here has been deleted. :(
Was there anything wrong with it ??

I mean it was a simple query...

Thanks
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

not deleted, moved to misc thread as it was not related to India.
check there.
Avinash R
BRFite

Post by Avinash R »

Commandos of Maharashtra state's newly formed elite special commando force, "Force One" display their skills during their inauguration ceremony in Mumbai, India, Tuesday, Nov. 24, 2009.

The elite force was formed for the security of the state on the lines of National Security Guards in the wake of last year's terror attacks.

sombhat
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sombhat »

I can see MP5s and a M4 in the last pic. What's the type in the third pic?? :-?
D Roy
BRFite

Post by D Roy »

its the MPK
Brando
BRFite

Post by Brando »

They dont seem to have any other equipment other than their rifles! I thought that the state was going to fully equip them with all the equipment. I hope they are better equipped than what these pictures show.

Also, why are they wearing a maroon beret ? Isn't that exclusively for those who graduate the Indian Army's Commando school ? A police unit shouldn't sport that beret.
Riza Zaman
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Riza Zaman »

Brando wrote:They dont seem to have any other equipment other than their rifles! I thought that the state was going to fully equip them with all the equipment. I hope they are better equipped than what these pictures show.

Also, why are they wearing a maroon beret ? Isn't that exclusively for those who graduate the Indian Army's Commando school ? A police unit shouldn't sport that beret.
AFAIK, 15 Punjab wore maroon turbans - not sure about berets

Punjab police commandos also wore maroon patkas in the mid-late 90s, not sure if they still do
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Brando wrote:Also, why are they wearing a maroon beret ? Isn't that exclusively for those who graduate the Indian Army's Commando school ? A police unit shouldn't sport that beret.
Well I had the same thoughts but if you wear a beret its gonna be Green (Infantry), Blue (ASC), Black (NSG), Sand (Marcos), Maroon (Para) or some 'military type' of colour, ... dont fancy 'em Force Ones to go around in Orange! :mrgreen:
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

marcos too sports maroon berets these days.
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

Brando wrote:Also, why are they wearing a maroon beret ? Isn't that exclusively for those who graduate the Indian Army's Commando school ? A police unit shouldn't sport that beret.
It seems to me, the guys wearing Maroon berets are the ones with the Naval Security jobs - a la MARCOS, who also wear Maroon Berets. Anotehr pointer to this is the fact that they're carrying the MP5Ks.