Mumbai Terrorist Attack-News stories and timeline

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Pranav
BRF Oldie

Re: Mumbai Terrorist Attack-News stories and timeline

Post by Pranav »

Indian intelligence team returns without questioning US LeT man
PTI 10 November 2009, 11:32am IST

WASHINGTON: A team of Indian intelligence officials left the US disappointed after a week-long stay here as they could not question American national David Coleman Headley, arrested by the FBI on charges of plotting a major terror attack in India at the behest of Pakistan-based LeT.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 214694.cms

This is from an unnamed "senior Home Ministry official":
India likely to file suit against Headley
Aman Sharma
New Delhi, November 10, 2009

India is likely to lodge its own case against David Coleman Headley, a suspected Lashkar-e-Taiba operative arrested in the US last month, and his Canadian-Pakistani associate Tahawwur Hussain Rana.

With the US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) confirming that both Headley and Rana made numerous trips to Indian metros for a recce of more 26/11-style attacks, the government is also mulling over an extradition plea.
http://indiatoday.intoday.in/site/Story ... adley.html
Pranav
BRF Oldie

Post by Pranav »

^^^ Actually, Rana may be even more important than Headley as far as 26/11 is concerned. Apparently he was in Mumbai until just a few days before 26/11.
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

LeT man may have stayed in Bhiwandi before 26/11 attacks

Josy Joseph / DNA

Tahawwura Hussain Rana, one of the two Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) operatives arrested in the US for planning to attack targets in India and Denmark, may have lived in Bhiwandi on his India visit just before the 26/11 attacks.

Investigators are trying to piece together details of the India visits of Rana and his associate David Coleman Headley, and their potential links to the 26/11 attacks.

Between 2006 and 2008, Headley ran a business in Mumbai and traveled several times to India. It is still not clear how many times Rana visited India.

What is confirmed is that Rana was in Mumbai for several days before the 26/11 attacks, and left the city just five days before the 10 terrorists landed. Sources in the security establishment are now “almost certain” that Rana, a Pakistan-born Canadian citizen who ran an immigration business in the US, stayed in Bhiwandi before the attack.

According to sources, Rana spent 10 days in Mumbai in November last year, leaving the city just five days before the attacks. According to immigration details, Rana came from Dubai to the Mumbai airport, and returned to the Gulf region.

Investigators are also now working on the premise that Rana may have traveled to Gujarat during his stay in Mumbai. It is not clear where all in Gujarat he went.

Meanwhile, investigators have told DNA that among the contact details of “curiosity” that they have found in the records of Headley from his Mumbai days are the numbers of Islamic Research Foundation. The Mumbai-based foundation, which owns the Peace TV, is headed by the controversial Islamic preacher Dr Zakir Naik.Dr Naik is hugely popular, but is criticised by many for his retrograde and questionable claims. Among those is his statement that the 9/11 attacks in the US was an insider’s job by George Bush. #

American and Indian investigators believe that both Rana and Headley were linked to a LeT-HUJI network that had presence in Bangladesh and was behind several terror strikes in South India. Shahid Bilal, a Hyderabad resident who was behind most of those attacks and who was killed mysteriously in Karachi in 2007, was also part of that network. The network was controlled by a LeT leader by the name of Syed Abdul Rahman.
Umrao Das
BRFite

Post by Umrao Das »

SO what does this knowledge mean?
Is it to make a good reading?

Further investigation will reveal our own men (in power) facilitating all this.
Makes good reading with Masala vadai
Avinash R
BRFite

Revealed: The dossier on 26/11 accused Sabahuddin

Post by Avinash R »

Revealed: The dossier on 26/11 accused Sabahuddin
Last updated on: November 10, 2009 14:05 IST
http://news.rediff.com/special/2009/nov ... huddin.htm

Vicky Nanjappa delves into the dossier on Sabahuddin Ahmed and reveals the life and crimes of the other Indian standing trial in the 26/11 case.

The chilling tale of how a reasonably bright college student descended into the dark world of jihadi terrorism.

Sabahuddin Ahmed played a key role in the 26/11 Mumbai [ Images ] attacks. He was the crucial Lashkar-e-Tayiba [ Images ] operative in Nepal, responsible for planning many attacks in India [ Images ]. He has been charged with three major attacks -- 26/11, the January 1, 2008 attack on a Central Reserve Police Force camp in Uttar Pradesh [ Images ] and the December 29, 2005 attack on the Indian Institute of Science in Bengaluru [ Images ].

Sabahuddin, who was arrested in February 2008, is currently being tried in a special court in Mumbai, along with Ajmal Kasab [ Images ], the lone Pakistani terrorist captured during the Mumbai attacks, and Fahim Ansari, an Indian national who conducted reconnaissance of like terror targets in Mumbai.

A dossier prepared by the Intelligence Bureau and investigating agencies spells out who exactly Sabahuddin Ahmed is.

Sabahuddin Ahmed alias Saba alias Farhan, aged 25 years, is a resident of village and post office Gandhwar, police station Sakri, Madhubani district, Bihar.

This is his confession to the investigating agencies:

"I was born in Madhubani, Bihar, on January 27, 1984. My father Shabbir Ahmed [ Images ] is an agriculturist and my mother, Shagufta Bano, is a housewife. My father is a panchayat samiti member in the Rahika block since 2001. I have two younger brothers -- Imaduddin, 23, and Shahbuddin, 15.

I started my preliminary education in the Darsgah Islami School. Later I joined the J M High School at Kumatul district and passed my SSLC with a first class.

I joined the Aligarh Muslim University, UP, in the year 2000 for 10+2 in physics, chemistry and biology. During my studies, I was staying in room no 28, B Block, Allam Iqbal Hall of the AMU.

One of my classmates, Shariq Anwar of Lavam village, Bihar, suddenly disappeared. His father came to the university in search of him. I offered to help and during this period his father received a call saying that they should call off the search and not to create a scene in the university.

We realised that Anwar was in touch with a person by the name Ajmal, who was a member of the Students Islamic Movement of India. Later we got a letter from Anwar stating that there is no need to search for him since he was taking up the cause of jihad.

Later I was approached by a person by the name Athiq who asked me if there was any complaint against Anwar. I said no.

The Gujarat riots made a big difference to me. I used to meet with a school friend by the name Faraaz Ahmed who was with me in AMU. He introduced me to a person by the name Ajmal with whom we used to have discussions about the riots.

I was influenced by the way in which Ajmal used to speak. Ajmal realised that I had become emotional and I could be used for jihadi activities.

I was then taken by Ajmal to meet Athiq, who was residing in the Jamalpur area of Aligarh. He was running a coaching centre called Fathiq Coaching Centre. He was about 5.8 feet tall, sported a beard and moustache. I later realised that he was the same person who came and inquired about Anwar.

There was a lot of discussion about jihad and often we referred to the Quran. I was finally convinced that jihad is a must in a situation such as this and there was a need to take revenge for the violence in Gujarat.

During the first week of March 2002, Ajmal took me to a person named Salim Salar (Doctor). Doctor was into sending people to Pakistan via Kashmir for training for jihad. I met Doctor at his house in Jamalpur next to railway line and he asked me as to why I was interested in going for jihad. I just told him that I was interested.

I met him again the next day and he took me to Sulaiman Hall where he arranged a meeting with Basharat Jaffrey, who was basically from Surankot in Poonch district. I was told that this man would take me to Kashmir. I was asked to return on March 12 and told that I would be taken to Kashmir.

On March 12, I went to Doctor's house carrying a small bag with clothes in it. I was given a letter in Urdu which I was asked to hide in my shoe. I was supposed to hand over this letter to a person in Kashmir. I was then taken to the railway station where Basharat was waiting along with his aunt and daughter.

We reached Jammu on March 13 and for the next two days we stayed in Bashrat's relative's house. From there we went to Rajouri district and stayed in a hotel that night. Next day we reached Surankot by bus at noon and went to Basharat's house. After dropping his aunt and daughter, we left for Thana Mandi in Rajouri district.

Close to that place there is a place called Shahdra. From there we continued our journey by walk since it was a mountainous terrain. At this time Bashrat threatened me that if I revealed anything to the police in case I was arrested, he would destroy my family.

He also said that in case both were caught, I had to tell them that he was a doctor and I was accompanying him as his assistant to treat a patient.

After reaching our destination, we stayed a house in a village. Two militants armed with AK-47 rifles visited the house and spoke to Basharat. Later they took me to their hideout for which we had to trek for more than three hours.

Both of them introduced themselves as Abu Hanzala Adnan and Abu Umar Qatada. Both were Pakistan nationals and aged between 22 and 23 years. When I reached another house there were two more militants, Abu Saifulla and Salahuddin Manipur. We stayed there for a week.

From there I was taken to Abu Muslim Jarrar, the Lashkar-e-Tayiba commander of Rajouri. I handed over the letter given to me by Doctor. I then returned to the hideout. Over here I was trained to dismantle and assemble the AK-47 and also was trained to use hand grenades.

After five days, Hanzala came back to the hideout. I was then introduced to three more Lashkar militants, Abu-Al-Qasim, Abu Hamza and Abu Zarrar. I was taken to a different hideout where I spent 15 days. Here was I was given an AK-47 rifle with a magazine containing 45 rounds.

After 15 days I was taken back to the earlier hideout by Hamza and was handed over to Qatada who was present with another militant Abu Jundal. After training for a couple of days, I was taken to Hilkaka where there were around 50 militants. The commander here was Abu Fahadulla.

From here we were asked to go to Pakistan. We waked through Poonch and through several jungles until we were close to the Pakistan army [ Images ] post. We were received by the Pakistan army who took away our arms and ammunition. They gave us breakfast and registered our names and addresses.

We were then taken by the Pakistan army to a point from where the Lashkar men took us. We were taken to a Lashkar camp in a place called Forward Kahota in PoK. This is where militants are trained and later sent into Jammu and Kashmir [ Images ].

We stayed here for two days and then were taken to meet a Colonel Musa who was in the Inter Services Intelligence. However, he was not there in the camp.

I was then taken to Kotli and from there we reached a place called Ibne-Taima (code for a Lashkar camp). Here we met with Abu-Al-Qama and Azam Cheema, who later trained me.

I was then trained rigorously in this camp. We had to wake up at 3 am and offer prayers. We then had another prayer at 4.30 am and this was followed by physical training. We were then given breakfast following which we had to undergo arms training. We were trained here for four months after which we were taken to an ISI camp in Mianwali. Here we underwent training for 50 days in firing.

When they thought that I was ready, I was introduced to a Major Dogar who took me to Lahore [ Images ] airport. Before I left for the airport I also met Colonel Kiyani. He told me that I should visit my country and establish myself. I flew from Lahore to Doha, Abu Dhabi, and then to Kathmandu, from where I entered India.

I then travelled by road back to my house. My parents were shocked to see me back again. They told me that various cases of my being missing had been lodged. I told them I had gone away to Delhi [ Images ] to prepare for my exams and also worked in a bookshop there. I stayed at home for a couple of months and I kept in touch with the Lashkar in Pakistan.

After a couple of weeks, I was asked to go to Kathmandu. Here I was given to understand that an operation was being planned in Bengaluru. I was taken to Bengaluru in July 2004. Here we did a recee of several schools and colleges. However, this plan was changed later and we decided to carry out a strike on the Indian Institute of Science.

That attack was not a success and we were pulled up by the Lashkar commanders in Pakistan. We had to return to Pakistan immediately after the attack where we were told that the attack was not a success."

Following the IISc attack, Sabahuddin trained extensively in Nepal and Pakistan following which he helped in the attack on the CRPF camp in Uttar Pradesh.

Sabahuddin also says around this time they also did a recee in Mumbai. He made arrangements to transport Fahim Ansari to Mumbai. Fahim returned to Nepal with sketches of various targets in Mumbai.

Sabahuddin was arrested in 2008 following the UP attack and it was during his interrogation that he spoke about his life and his journey into jihad. During the interrogation he also discussed at length plans for an attack on Mumbai.

Despite being informed by the UP police, the Mumbai police did not act on the information, stating that Sabahuddin Ahmed was not wanted in any case in Mumbai and hence they did not seek his custody.
amardeep_s
BRFite -Trainee

Post by amardeep_s »

The Gujarat riots made a big difference to me.
same old lie.
There was a lot of discussion about jihad and often we referred to the Quran
then secular constitution of the country must ban it.
During the first week of March 2002, Ajmal took me to a person named Salim Salar (Doctor). Doctor was into sending people to Pakistan via Kashmir for training for jihad. I met Doctor at his house in Jamalpur next to railway line and he asked me as to why I was interested in going for jihad. I just told him that I was interested.
sabarmati s6 was burned on feb end, and our hero takes the jehadi train to pakistan in the next few days? the jehadi streak 'hum khatre main hai" was always there in such types, they are only seeking an outlet or excuse. so fit in gujarat, babri etc.
and at eighteen years of age, he left AMU ,the terror breeding university for terrorist heaven - pakistan

Despite being informed by the UP police, the Mumbai police did not act on the information, stating that Sabahuddin Ahmed was not wanted in any case in Mumbai and hence they did not seek his custody.

so 1993 blast case mistake repeats itself.
Pranav
BRF Oldie

Post by Pranav »

Headley travelled to five cities in India

New Delhi Suspected terrorist David Coleman Headley travelled to five cities during his stay in India between 2006-09, investigators have found. Official sources said that Headley, arrested by FBI in Chicago last month, travelled to Ahmedabad, Lucknow, Agra and Delhi.
http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news ... ia/540099/
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

‘I collected money for terror attacks in Gujarat’
In his confession under POTA, imam Shaukatullah Ghori revealed that he had distributed hate CDs in Riyadh to recruit youths as terrorists

By Vijay Zala
Posted On Saturday, November 07, 2009 at 02:57:50 AM

Akshardham temple in Gandhinagar

Shaukatullah Ghori, an imam and brother of hardcore militant Farhatullah Ghori said to be operating from Saudi Arabia, has confessed to have distributed hate CDs following the Godhra riots to recruit youths to the Taliban cause. Confessing under POTA, the 43-year-old Hyderabadi also revealed that he had collected funds for terror attacks in the state.

Shaukatullah was arrested on July 19 this year upon his arrival at Hyderabad’s Shamshabad airport from Riyadh, the capital of Saudi Arabia. He is being tried in a special POTA court for conspiring, planning and collecting funds for terrorists who stormed the Akshardham temple on September 24, 2002, killing 34 people including two NSG personnel. As many as 86 people were injured in the attack.

He is said to have played a major role in financing outfits such as the Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) and the Harkat-ul-Jihad Islami (HuJI).

Avenging atrocities
According to his confession, Ghori had first gone to Riyadh in 1990. “The Babri Masjid demolition in 1992 came as a shocker for people in Riyadh. Soon after this, a conference of the World Islamic Youth Organisation was held there. Muslims from across the world came there. The maulvis called on the participants to avenge the atrocities being committed on Muslims in India.

There I met Kari Zameen, a member of Jaish-e-Mohammed terror outfit in Pakistan. He gave me cassettes containing a speech by JeM’s founder Mazood Azhar exhorting youths to join Taliban and retaliate against the cruelty meted out to Muslims in Afghanistan, Pakistan and India,” he revealed, adding that Zameen told him to distribute the cassettes to youths in Riyadh.

Shaukatullah said, “My brother Farhatullah alias Abu Sufiyan, Zameen, Kari Abdul, Abu Hameza, Abdul Rehman alias Abu Tala alias Abdul Bari were members of JeM. I would attend their meetings and read out the Quran. A similar meeting was held at a big hall near Riyadh highway on December 2000.

My brother and his JeM mates urged youths to join the Taliban and carry out jihad in India. Altaf Rashid, a resident of Gujarat, was present at the meeting. They sought funds to buy material for jihad. Those present gave between 50 and 100 riyals for the cause. When the twin towers of the World Trade Center in New York were destroyed by a terrorist attack on September 11, 2001, we all celebrated in Riyadh.”

Hate CDs circulated
Then came the Gujarat riots of 2002. “After the riots took place, hate CDs were distributed in Riyadh. Another meeting was held. This time, Gujarati Muslims attended in large numbers. We were exhorted to teach Hindus a lesson. The leaders discussed how training would be provided to volunteers. We also gathered money to fund the training of volunteers.

Salim, Farhatullah, Abdul Rehman and Usaid handled the funds. My group and I collected Rs 50,000 which was handed over to Farhatullah.” Farhatullah and Abdul Rehman then came to Gujarat to recruit local youths for their cause, said Shaukatullah, adding: “I came to Hyderabad from Riyadh on August 15, 2002. I heard of the Akshardham attacks through news reports on television channels. I then returned to Riyadh on October 4, 2002.”

Sponsoring terrorism
According to sources in the Intelligence Bureau, Shaukatullah and his brother’s prime focus was to sponsor terrorism in Gujarat, with the LeT and the HuJI specifically instructing the duo to raise funds for Gujarat operations alone. Both brothers were among the 12 most wanted terrorists by Gujarat police.

The IB also says that Shaukatullah used to raise funds from rich businessmen in the Gulf and then channelise it to Gujarat for acts of terror. For the Akshardham attack, he is said to have raised Rs 5 lakh through his sources in Gulf .

Shaukatullah was initially recruited by the Jaish-e-Mohammad, who were looking for a key person in the Gulf to brainwash youth and also help with recruitment. However, he gradually moved into the Lashkar which was planning to go global. He then got in touch with the LeT, which immediately took him into their fold almost 10 years ago. He helped the Lashkar with funding and also ensured that youth from the Gulf countries were indoctrinated with the Lashkar’s world view.

Sheltered in Riyadh
During the planning stages of the Akshardham attack, Shaukatullah constantly shuttled between Pakistan and Riyadh. However, after a red-corner alert was sounded against him and the Gujarat police began to hunt him, he settled down in Riyadh.

Shaukatullah maintained a low profile for some time until the pressure eased. However, after a few years he began actively participating in fund-raising activities. The IB said that Shaukatullah used funds which were raised for relief victims through religious institutions to channelise them into terror routes so that subversive activities could be carried out.

The Gulf channel
Shaukatullah had sent several men from the Gulf for training to Pakistan, who in turn were used for operations in India. The IB says the interrogation of this man would be key since he could provide vital clues regarding LeT and other outfits’ operations in the Gulf countries.

Cracking the Gulf code is essential for Indian security agencies as they suspect that the biggest threat for the country apart from Pakistan will be from the operatives settled in the Gulf.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

A year after Mumbai attack, no takers for the nine slain terrorists
They continue to remain in a room sealed with round-the-clock security and where the temperature is set at four degrees Celsius to prevent any decomposition.

The Muslim Council has flatly refused to allow the burial of the bodies of the slain terrorists in the Marine Lines Bada Qabrastan (cemetery). The council said it also sent a message to all cemeteries in India that none of the bodies should be buried on Indian soil.

The influential Muslim Jama Masjid Trust, which runs the 7.5-acre Bada Qabrastan graveyard, said it would not bury the gunmen because they were not true followers of Islam.

Some outfits had even suggested soon after the attack that the terrorists' bodies be dumped outside the premises of the Pakistan High Commission in New Delhi or thrown into the Arabian Sea.

"We had informed the Pakistan government about the bodies. However, there has been no response from them so far," Nikam told IANS.

The Pakistan High Commission on its part washed its hands off the entire affair.

"They are not our friends, they are not followers of Islam. We have nothing to with them at all. Why ask us?" said a senior official. {Huh. . . how convenient ? On that same basis why don't they extradite Lakhvi, Zarar Shah and the 5 others to India ? If 'Pakistan has nothing to do with hose dead terrorists', why did it ask for extradition of Kasab ? Besides, see the remark,'They are not Muslim'. On what basis is that so ? Pakistan has been unable to define who a true Muslim is since circa 1958.}
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

SSridhar and Gagan, In that confession satement of Shabuddin, a lot of details are there which lend itself to "A Modus Operandi Of a Terrorist in Training". We should create a ppt with timeline and maps to show the circutious route and the sequence of training. Also cane we get google shots of those places?

LINK:
http://news.rediff.com/special/2009/nov ... huddin.htm

Another thoguht is there is Col. Kiyani as ISI handler mentioned in 2002. Could this be the current Gen Kiyani?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Breaking news.'Rahul" friend of David Headley is son of nationalist patriot Mahesh Bhatt.
derkonig
BRFite
Location: Jeering sekular forces bhile Furiously malishing my mijjile @ Led Lips Mijjile Malish Palish Parloul

Post by derkonig »

shiv wrote:Breaking news.'Rahul" friend of David Headley is son of nationalist patriot Mahesh Bhatt.
sekoolaarism is a genetic disorder.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

SSridhar wrote:A year after Mumbai attack, no takers for the nine slain terrorists
They continue to remain in a room sealed with round-the-clock security and where the temperature is set at four degrees Celsius to prevent any decomposition.

The Muslim Council has flatly refused to allow the burial of the bodies of the slain terrorists in the Marine Lines Bada Qabrastan (cemetery). The council said it also sent a message to all cemeteries in India that none of the bodies should be buried on Indian soil.

The influential Muslim Jama Masjid Trust, which runs the 7.5-acre Bada Qabrastan graveyard, said it would not bury the gunmen because they were not true followers of Islam.

Some outfits had even suggested soon after the attack that the terrorists' bodies be dumped outside the premises of the Pakistan High Commission in New Delhi or thrown into the Arabian Sea.

"We had informed the Pakistan government about the bodies. However, there has been no response from them so far," Nikam told IANS.

The Pakistan High Commission on its part washed its hands off the entire affair.

"They are not our friends, they are not followers of Islam. We have nothing to with them at all. Why ask us?" said a senior official. {Huh. . . how convenient ? On that same basis why don't they extradite Lakhvi, Zarar Shah and the 5 others to India ? If 'Pakistan has nothing to do with hose dead terrorists', why did it ask for extradition of Kasab ? Besides, see the remark,'They are not Muslim'. On what basis is that so ? Pakistan has been unable to define who a true Muslim is since circa 1958.}
Why not just cremate them with no religious rituals? Is there any purpose to spending money on keeping these dead bodies?
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Pak court reschedules hearing for Nov. 16
The hearing of the Mumbai attack case involving seven suspects, including LeT operations chief Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, has been rescheduled for Monday in a Pakistani anti-terror court as the judge who was to take up the matter on Saturday was on leave.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

derkonig wrote:
shiv wrote:Breaking news.'Rahul" friend of David Headley is son of nationalist patriot Mahesh Bhatt.
sekoolaarism is a genetic disorder.
lets not jump to conclusions. headley's cover seems to have been fairly secure.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

A Chronology of Pakistani Court Drama & Perfidy

On Mar. 4, 2009. in-camera trial of the accused starts in Adiala jail in Anti Terrorism Court (ATC)-II.
On May 5, 2009, the court distributed copies of charge sheets among the suspects.
On May 23, 2009, the court adjourned hearing as the presiding Judge Sakhi Muhammad Kahoot was transferred out of ATC-II
On June 21, 2009, the duty Judge of ATC-I, hearing the case in the absence of a regular judge for ATC-II, adjourned the case until July 4.
On July 17, 2009, Pak files chargesheet against 5 accused
On July 24th, Pakistan puts off Mumbai case for month (Sharm-el-Sheikh was just over)
On Aug. 29th, Pak Court adjourns 26/11 trial and bars media coverage
On Sep. 18th, Anti Terrorism Court in Karachi adjourns 26/11 hearing to Sep. 26
On Sep 26th, Pakistan adjourns Mumbai attack hearing till Oct. 3
On Oct. 3rd, Pakistan adjourns the 26/11 trial yet again
On Oct 10, 26/11 terrorists charged by Pakistani court, but the Judge deliberately flouts laws to leave an escape clause for the terrorists
On Oct. 20th, the judge hearing the case wants to be recused because of 'unavoidable reasons'
On Oct. 23rd, a new Judge was appointed
On Oct. 25th, 26/11 case in Pakistani court adjourned for another week
On Oct. 31, Mumbai Attack Case postponed by a week in TSP
On Nov. 14th, Pak court reschedules hearing for Nov. 16
On Nov. 16th, Pak court adjourns trial until Nov. 23
On Nov. 23rd, the Judge reserved judgement until 25th on quality and legal admissibility of some evidence (PM Man Mohan Singh is on a State visit to the US at this time)
On Nov. 25th, the ATC, Adiala indicted the seven accused (and nine others including Ajmal Kasab) after allowing the legality and admissibility of the prosecution's evidence. The judge separated Kasab's case from the rest.
On Dec. 1st, the terrorists challenge the indictment in the Lahore High Court.
On Dec. 3rd, the Lahore High Court dismissed the petitions filed by the 7 terrorists challenging their indictment.
On Dec. 5th, the ATC, Adiala adjourns the case by another week as defence lawyers fail to appear
On Dec. 12th, the ATC adjourns the trial as the accused plead for acquittal. The trial will not resume until acquittal appliations are disposed of.
On Dec. 19th, the ATC adjourns the case until Dec. 24th
On Dec. 24th, the ATC adjourns the case until Jan. 6th
On Jan. 06, 2010, the ATC rejected the appeal for acquittal and asked prosecution to present evidence on Jan. 16
On Jan. 16, 2010, the ATC adjourns hearing until Jan. 23 pending disposal of Lakhvi's appeal in Lahore HC
On Jan. 22, 2010, the Lahore High Court dismisses Lakhvi's appeal to transfer the case from ATC to LHC
On Jan. 23, 2010, the ATC adjourns hearing until Jan. 30 as defence lawyers boycott the court protesting inadequate security for them
On Jan. 30, 2010, the Pakistani government presents proof on all the seven; Court adjourned until Feb. 13
On Feb. 13, 2010, the court could not transact any business as the judge was busy with another official work.
On Feb. 20, 2010, the proceedings could not take place due to Bar Council elections. Adjourned until Mar. 6
On Mar. 09, 2010, a bench of the Lahore High Court rules that the Statement of Kasab given to a Mumbai High Court cannot be used against the accused
On Mar. 13, 2010, the ATC, Adiala accepted a plea by Prosecution to declare Kasab as a fugitive. This is necessitated because the Lahore HC declined to accept Kasab's statements in Indian courts as admissible evidence and ordered that Kasab also be tried along with the seven accused
On Mar. 20, 2010, the Defence wanted Kasab to be brought to Adiala ATC before their own trial can proceed as the Lahore High Court had ordered all the accused to be tried together and the FIA had wanted the court to proclaim Kasab as a 'fugitive' to circumvent the court's order
On Mar. 27, 2010, ATC, Adiala dismissed application by the accused seven to treat Kasab & Ansari as proclaimed offenders
On Apr. 03, 2010, ATC, Adiala adjourns the case to Apr. 17 after prosecution decides to seek Interpol's Red Corner Notice to get Ajmal Kasab & Fahim Ansari to Pakistan
On Apr. 17, 2010, there was no hearing at ATC, Adiala as the Judge was on leave.
On Apr. 19, 2010, Supreme Court of Pakistan asks the Federal Government to reply on Lakhvi's petition seeking his acquittal from the Adiala case
On Apr. 19, 2010, the ATC, Adiala court adjourns hearing until May. 8
On Apr. 19, 2010, Punjab High Court bench at Rawalpindi reserves order on acceptance of Kasab, Ansari statements in the Indian Court
On May. 08, 2010, the ATC, Adiala court adjourns hearing until May. 22 upon prosecution's request to gain access to Ajmal Kasab already convicted and sentenced to death in a Mumbai court.
On May. 11, 2010, Lakhvi's lawyer presents Kasab's confessional statement to the SC. The SC adjourns the case for two weeks.
On May. 25, 2010, the SC dismissed the appeal against the acquittal of Prof. Hafeez Saeed by the Lahaore High Court.
On May. 27, 2010, the SC dismissed the appeal by Lakhvi against admissibility of Kasab's Mumbai confession in the ATC, Adiala.
On June 07, 2010, the special public prosecutor handling the Mumbai Terror Attack case died due to heart attack.
On June 26, 2010, ATC, Adiala adjourns hearing due to concerns among Pakistani authorities that any adverse developments in the court could impact ongoing talks with India..
On July 03, 2010, Pakistan Government informs ATC, Adiala that India has refused to send Kasab to Pakistan. Also appoints a new public prosecutor to handle the case.
On July 10, 2010, ATC, Adiala issues fresh arrest warrants against Kasab & Ansari and adjourns case until July 24.
On July 24, 2010, the trial is adjourned until July 31, as Judge was absent.
On July 31, 2010, the judgement on Lakhvi's bail plea was reserved by the court. Next hearing on August 7.
On Aug. 09, 2010, the prosecution moved an application to allow deposition by Indian magistrate and police officer through video conferencing from India. Next hearing adjourned to Aug. 28
On Aug. 28, 2010, the above hearing is further adjourned to Sep. 18
On Aug. 30, 2010, the ATC, Adiala dismisses Lakhvi's bail plea
On Oct. 15, 2010, the ATC, Adiala says it cannot proceed further without examining Kasab & Ansari and gives federal government 4 weeks to complete formalities
On Nov. 5, 2010, a few hours before the arrival of the US President Obama in India, Pakistan handed over the 13th dossier seeking India's help in sending a judicial commission to India for interrogating Kasab, Indian Magistrate and witnesses that could be presented to the Adiala court in Pakistan
On Nov.13, 2010 FIA informs Adiala Court that India refused to hand over Kasab & Fahim Ansari to Pakistan. Next hearing on 23rd Nov
On Dec.17, 2010 the Judge adjourned the case to Jan. 8, 2011 amid the issue of fake degree by a defence lawyer
On Jan.8, 2011 the Judge adjourned the case to Jan. 22, 2011 after prosecution sought more time on the issue of declaring Kasab & Ansari as fugitives
On Feb.4, 2011 the Judge adjourned the case to Feb. 17, 2011 after prosecution sought even more time on the issue of declaring Kasab & Ansari as fugitives as the Lahore High Court bench hearing the case has been dissolved after a judge retired
On Feb.17, 2011 the Judge adjourned the case to Feb. 26, 2011 after prosecution sought even more time as the Lahore High Court was taking more time to decide on proclaiming Kasab & Ansari as 'proclaimed offenders' or 'fugitives'.
On Feb.26, 2011 the court adjourns trial until March 5
On Mar.05, 2011 the court adjourns trial until March 19 after prosecution boycotted when their personal security guards were disallowed from entering the court
On Mar.26, 2011 the court adjourns trial until April 9 after ruling that Kasab & Ansari could not be declared as fugitives as demanded by the prosecution
On Mar.29, 2011 the visiting Pakistani Home Secretary agreed in principle for an Indian legal team to visit Pakistan to gather information and evidence
On Apr.1, 2011 Home Minister Chidambaram claimed that the Indian investigation team visiting Pakistan will have legal jurisdiction
On Apr.9, 2011 ATC adjourns trial till Apr. 16 as prosecution lawyer wants adjournment since another lawyer will present the case on that day
On Apr.16, 2011 ATC adjourns trial till Apr. 23 as prosecution lawyer failed to turn up in the court
On Jun.12, 2011 ATC Judge gives 7 days to Pakistani prosecutors to provide copies of Indian statements to Defence
On Jun.13, 2011 ATC Judge hearing the case was transferred
On Jun.25, 2011 No new judge appointed, 26/11 trial adjourned again
On Jul.20, 2011 Pak court to decide on panel to quiz Indians
On Jul.23, 2011 Pakistan's Interior Minister Rehman Malik promised Indian Home Minister P.Chidambaram at Thimphu that he would amend laws to enable sending voice samples to India
On Aug. 09, 2011, Pakistan's Interior Minister Rehman Malik was issued a contempt notice by ATC, Adiala for announcing that a judicial commission would visit India soon, though the court had not yet decided the matter.
On Aug. 27, 2011, the ATC allows setting up of a panel to visit India
On Sep. 10, 2011, the ATC adjourned the case for a week as Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi expressed dissatisfaction with the judge
On Sep. 17, 2011, the case was adjourned as the Judge, Shahid Rafique, was transferred probably in deference to the demand by Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi
On Nov. 04, 2011, the Pakistani High Commissioner to India announced that the judicial commission would visit India shortly to record evidence
On Nov. 05, 2011, the ATC, Adiala summoned four witnesses after a delay of several weeks caused by Lakhvi's petition in the LHC against the Judge.
On Nov. 19, 2011, the ATC, Adiala recorded the statement of the ex-FIA officer who filed the FIR against the accused. Adjourned till Nov. 29.
On Nov. 26, 2011, the Interior Minister of Pakistan, Rehman Malik, said he was hopeful of sending the judicial panel to India within a week.
On Jan. 17, 2012, the ATC adjourned the hearing until Jan. 28, 2012 to enable Lakhvi to appoint a new lawyer after his current lawyer died
On Jan. 29, 2012, the Judicial Commission's Visit to India was in jeopardy as its legality was challenged by the defence counsel
On Feb. 05, 2012,Pakistan Judicial Commission fails to turn up in Mumbai
On Feb. 18, 2012, Defence Counsels seek Statement of Indian Investigator before going to Mumbai as part of Judicial Commission
On July. 14, 2012, The ATC reserved judgement on the admissibility of the report of the Pakistani judicial panel that visited Mumbai
On July. 17, 2012, The ATC rejected the validity of the report of the Pakistani Judicial Commission that visited Mumbai
On July. 28, 2012, The ATC Judge refused two prosecution witnesses because India disallowed cross-examination opportunity to its Judicial Commission
On July. 31, 2012, Pakistan officially informs GoI that Mumbai evidence was inadmissible in a Pakistani Court of Law
On Aug. 04, 2012, ATC Judge adjourns hearing until Aug. 25 as the weather was bad and the defence lawyers complained of flight cancellation
On Aug. 25, 2012, ATC Judge adjourns hearing by another week as one of the defence lawyers was unwell
On Aug. 30, 2012, Zardari reiterated his country’s commitment to bring the 26/11 masterminds in Pakistan to justice during a meeting with Man Mohan Singh at the NAM Conference in Tehran
On Aug. 31, 2012, information emerged that Zakhi-ur-Rehman Lakhvi was protected inside the Adiala jail by his own LeT guards
On Sep. 07, 2012, ATC Judge adjourns hearing by another week as 4 prosecution witnesses were unavailable
On Sep. 29, 2012, ATC Judge recorded statements from 5 intelligence officers about the training given to 26/11 terrorists
On Nov. 11, 2012, 5 CID officers confirmed to the court that the Mumbai terrorists got training at various centres of LeT, including navigational training in Karachi
On Nov. 26, 2012, India was asked by Pakistan to allow a second judicial commission to be sent to Mumbai
On Dec. 22, 2012, Indian legal & home ministry officials negotiate with Pakistan on terms & conditions for the visit of the second judicial commission to India
On Dec. 22, 2012, ATC adjourns trial to January 12, 2013 as lawyers fail to attend court
On Jan. 02, 2013, The second Pak judicial commission is expected in India by January, 2013 end
On Mar. 02, 2013, The Adiala trial was adjourned until March 16, 2013 waiting for a reply from GoI on cross examination by the second judicial commission of Indian witnesses
On Apr. 14, 2013, Pakistani Witness Identifies Man Who Bought Boats Used by 26/11 Terrorists
On May. 24, 2013, Trial adjourned till June 1
On June 01, 2013, Trial was adjourned till June 15 as the government was yet to appoint a new prosecutor in the place of the assassinated earlier prosecutor
On June 15, 2013, The case was shifted to the new ATC at Islamabad necessitating a re-trial from scratch
On June 18, 2013, India agreed to Pakistan's second judicial commission quizzing Indian witnesses in Mumbai
On June 22, 2013, The proceedings were adjourned until June 29 in the new Islamabad ATC as the Judge was on leave
On August 31, 2013, the ATC was informed by GoP that its judicial commission would visit Mumbai on September 7
On September 03, 2013, Pakistan cancelled the visit of the second judicial commission to Mumbai
On September 04, 2013, Pakistan announced that the second judicial commission would visit Mumbai on September 11, 2013
On October 22, 2013, The Public Prosecutor of the Mumbai Case says that the ATC has not yet received the record of the proceedings of the Second Judicial Commission that cross examined witnesses in Mumbai
On October 25, 2013, the spokesperson of Pakistan's Foreign Ministry said that more evidence was needed from the India side to move ahead in the 26/11 case
On October 26, 2013, the same spokesperson of Pakistan's Foreign Ministry said that the trial will proceed once the judicial panel's report was available
On December 11, 2013, two witnesses were cross examined and it was decided that the trial will be conducted every Wednesday
On April 4, 2014, the Judge stalls proceedings fearing security issues
On June 19, 2014, the Judge postpones proceedings after prosecution lawyers absented for the third successive time citing security reasons
On July 25, 2014, India summons Pakistan's Dy. High Commissioner and lodges strong protest over repeated adjournments
On November 12, 2014, Pakistan's court dismisses Prosecution's plea to hold Mumbai attacks trial by video-link
On December 18, 2014, the ATC, Adiala released Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi on bail citing a lack of evidence. This came a day after the Taliban killed 141 children (including nine teachers) in an Army-run school in Peshawar.
Legal Loopholes led to Lakhvi's bailing out
On December 26, 2014, the Lakhvi challenged his detention under Maintenance of Public Order (MPO) This came after the federal government arrested him under MPO before being released on bail granted by the ATC.
On December 29, 2014, the Islamabad High Court released Lakhvi saying that his detention under Maintenance of Public Order (MPO) was not maintainable
On December 30, 2014, Pakistan detained Lakhvi once again in a 6-year old kidnapping case
On Jan 1, 2015, a Pakistani court sent Lakhvi to 14 days of police custody in a kidnapping case filed after Lakhvi was released on bail in the original 26/11 case
On Jan 3, 2015, the Pakistani Government challenged Lakhvi's bail in the Islamabad High Court claiming that the Adiala ATC had ignored 'solid' evidence against him
On Jan 5, 2015, the Pakistani Supreme Court formed a 2-judge bench to hear government appeal against bail granted to Lakhvi
On Jan 7, 2015, the Pakistani Supreme Court overturns the bail granted to Lakhvi by the Islamabad High Court
On Jan 9, 2015, a court in Islamabad granted bail to Lakhvi in the 'kidnapping' case
On Jan 19, 2015, Lakhvi's detention was extended by a month
On Jan 21, 2015, the Mumbai police said, after studying the ATC order rleasing Lakhvi on bail, that the court had not at all taken into consideration evidence given by Indian Court
On Feb 13, 2015, a judicial magistrate in Islamabad rejected Lakhi's bail request in kidnapping case
On Mar 13, 2015, the Islamabad High Court orders immediate release of Lakhvi citing his detention as illegal
On Apr 09, 2015, the Lahore High Court suspended the detention of Lakhvi under Maintenance of Public Security Order
On Jan 26, 2016, Islamabad High Court dismisses the government's petition seeking voice samples of 26/11 mastermind Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi and six others
On Feb 18, 2016, Islamabad ATC orders 24 Indian witnesses to depose personally before it
On Feb. 21, 2016, Pakistan withdraws security provided to Chief Prosecutor of the case and he refuses to attend future hearings
On Feb. 22, 2016, Prosecution says it will challenge the ATC's rejection of a commission to examine the LeT boat used in the attack
On Mar. 06, 2016, Pakistan asks India to send 24 witnesses to depose in 26/11 trial
On May. 20, 2016, the ATC says that Zaki-ur Rehman Lakhvi and six others accused will be individually charged for the abetment to murder of each of the 166 people who died in the carnage
On Sep. 08, 2016, Pakistan dropped charges against 26/11 accused, says no proof
On Apr. 26, 2017, Pakistan rejects India's demand for re-investigating 26/11 case
Last edited by SSridhar on 20 May 2016 19:17, edited 170 times in total.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

SSridhar wrote:A year after Mumbai attack, no takers for the nine slain terrorists

When will this Indian politicians and Govt. show similar care to Indians who are alive?
Avinash R
BRFite

Post by Avinash R »

Victims recall the horror of dreadful Mumbai terror attack
Sat, Nov 14 02:05 PM

Mumbai, Nov 14 (ANI): Memories of 26/11 Mumbai terror attack still haunts the owner and staff of 'Leopold Cafe', the 138-year-old restaurant at the Colaba causeway here.

This restaurant was one of the first landmarks targeted by militants on 26/11. rmed gunmen had stormed the cafe and opened fire randomly, killing many customers and two cafe staff.

The cafe was extensively damaged during the attacks.

The eating joint reopened four days after the attack, but was closed again by Police as a security measure.

However, regular activity recommenced soon.

The restaurant owners have kept the bullet marks on the wall and windowpanes as it is, as a bleak reminder of the attack.

However, as the anniversary of the dreadful Mumbai attack approaches, survivors of the tragedy recount the tale of horror.

Bharat Gujjar, supervisor of Leopold Cafe, who suffered bullet wounds on his stomach during the attack, said that although the memory of the strike still haunts them, life moved on.

"Life has certainly changed to an extent after the attack. My body is not same like before. There are some physical changes in my body and I lost seven kilograms. At that time we all were scared and honestly we still feel scared at times. But I am positive and whatever had to happen, it happened and we have moved on with our lives," said Gujjar.

Eric Anthony, the manager of the restaurant, said that after the attack they have become more vigilant.

"That day for four days we could not sleep well because we saw death nearly eye to eye and I saw the terrorists face to face but after four days when the shutter was open we were back on our feet and everything was okay. One year has been okay.... One thing we should believe is that anything can happen anywhere. So we are ready for that. Now we have become more alert after the attack," said Anthony.

India will observe the first anniversary of the Mumbai attacks that killed 166 people in the city on November 26 this year. Two luxurious hotels were also among the targets attacked by 10 gunmen last November.
Patni
BRFite

Post by Patni »

X-posting from The Curious Case of Daood Gilani alias David Headley Thread

Headley mapped all ‘26/11 targets’
Posing as a Jew, he even visited Nariman House, the Jewish Chabad centre, in July 2008.

The Mumbai police today carried out raids in Bandra, its adjoining suburb Khar and BPO hub Goregaon in search of Headley’s local acquaintances and contacts. {Makes one wonder if Mumbai cops tracked them for a month and raided now?

“He (Headley) mapped the Chhatrapati Shivaji terminus, Taj and Trident hotels and Nariman House. We are interrogating (filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt’s son) Rahul to find out when he went to Leopold Café. That he did is certain — when he did that is what we need to know,” a top officer said.
The source said Headley, a Pakistani-born US national, and his associate Tahawwur Hussain Rana stayed in Hotel Outram, a seedy motel in Mumbai’s Fort area, for about a fortnight in July 2008.
“It is a mystery how he got into that building (Nariman House) just posing as a Jew. We are probing if he had anybody helping him locally. [The FBI seized a book called How to Pray Like a Jew from him at the time of his arrest in Chicago/b]. He had prepared himself thoroughly to pose as a Jew,” the officer said.
{ Mentioned in FBI PDF on him (Linked provided by Aaron above)
Between 2006 and 2009, Headley ran a firm called Immigration Law Centre out of Tardeo AC Market in south Mumbai with the help of a local Parsi woman. Late last night, officials of the federal National Investigating Agency, which has now joined the probe with Mumbai police, visited Headley’s immigration firm.

“A lot of facts have emerged from the interrogation of his co-worker/partner at the firm. She has been very co-operative. We now know Headley rarely used mobile phones and computers; but he did have a Tata Indicom landline number that he used while operating this immigration business. His mobile number is also with us and is leading us to some of his local contacts/acquaintances,” the source said.
Avinash R
BRFite

Post by Avinash R »

New weapons, better preparedness since 26/11: NSG chief

New Delhi, Nov 13 (IANS): Forty minutes from their Manesar headquarters to the Delhi airport, three hours in an IL-76 plane to Mumbai and another 40 odd minutes to get to the terror-hit spots. That time lag of Nov 26, 2008 when the National Security Guards (NSG) took about five hours to take up position to combat India's worst terror attack will never be repeated, promises chief of the elite commando force N.P.S. Aulakh.

"We lost time during the Mumbai serial attacks. But things have changed and now we can take up any challenge within just 30 minutes of notice and that too anywhere," NSG Director General N.P.S. Aulakh said in an exhaustive interview.

One year since terrorists sneaked into Mumbai and laid a three-day siege, killing 170 people, valuable lessons have been learnt.

Reflecting on some of the lessons learnt in Operation Black Tornado where the NSG lost two valiant men, Aulakh states precious time was lost at the very outset when the commandos, popularly known as Black Cats, were called from Manesar, their headquarters, to the Delhi airport - a drive that lasts 40 minutes.

Loading their weapons and equipment into trucks from Manesar to Delhi, offloading the same at the airport and going through the tedious process in Mumbai again took precious time.

But much water has flowed under the bridge. The government has opened four NSG hubs in Mumbai, Kolkata, Hyderabad and Chennai, each having a strength of 241 personnel.

"Post-26/11, we are also upgrading equipment and buying sophisticated weaponry. It is not that we were not prepared for any challenge earlier. But what is happening now is that we are increasing our capabilities and our operational preparedness," Aulakh, who took over in March this year, said.
Despite the delay in getting down to work, NSG commandos, in their black nomex overalls and balaclavas, played a critical role killing nine of the 10 terrorists who laid a three-day siege over Mumbai.

They battled terrorists holed up at the iconic Hotel Taj Mahal Palace and Tower and the the Oberoi Trident and the Chhabad House in Nariman Point and engaged them for nearly 60 hours. The NSG commandos were instrumental in rescuing hundreds of hostages from the assailants armed with grenades, AK-47 assault rifles and RDX.

Hoping that the story will never be repeated and the country's security personnel will be better equipped, the union home ministry is soon opening bids for state-of-the-art corner shot weapons and hand-held see-through wall radars in a bid to prepare the elite commandos for future urban terror strikes and hostage situations.

Corner shot weapons allows commandos to shoot around corners without endangering themselves, and wall surveillance radars help monitor events inside a room without entering it for troopers.
The other new weaponry and sophisticated gadgets that will be accquired include Ghille suits (camouflage clothing), hostage rescue bullet-proof cover, protective goggles, and hand-held thermal imagers, mini remotely operated vehicles, ECG monitors for dogs and climbing devices.
Many of the purchases are from Israel which is said to have the best security equipment.

"I am personally reviewing the work. It will take time to put everything in place. But work is going on schedule," adds Aulakh.

Modelled on the lines of Britain's SAS (Special Air Squadron) and Germany's GSG-9, the NSG has two complementary elements, the Special Action Group (SAG) and the Special Ranger Group (SRG).
The SAG, which constitutes over half the force, is its elite offensive wing and its cadres are drawn only from the Indian Army while the SRG has men on deputation from central police organisations.
Aulakh also pointed out that it would soon be possible to take up joint training in anti-terror operations with foreign countries to hone skills of the commandos.

"A French delegation visited us and wants to conduct training. It could be here or outside. The government has to decide on this."

Tthe NSG is acquiring a new, edgier face. Amongst the sophisticated gadgets that it will soon be equipped with are:
* Corner shot weapons to allow commandos to shoot around corners
* Wall surveillance radars to help monitor events inside a room without entering it
* Ghille suits (camouflage clothing)
* Hostage rescue bullet-proof cover
* Protective goggles
* Hand-held thermal imagers
* Mini remotely operated vehicles
* ECG monitors for dogs and climbing devices.

The NSG has certainly come a long way, in one year.
Avinash R
BRFite

Post by Avinash R »

26/11 trial nears end; Nikam says strong case against Kasab
PTI 15 November 2009, 11:39am IST

MUMBAI: As the first anniversary of 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks nears, all eyes are set on the special court where the prosecution is gearing up to wrap up the case against Pakistan gunman Ajmal Kasab and two others who are charged with killing 166 persons.

With the testimony of 250 witnesses and strong forensic evidence, the prosecution has prepared a water-tight case against Kasab, Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam told PTI.

The keenly-watched trial, which began in April, is expected to be over this month end with just a few witnesses left to depose before Judge M L Tahaliyani.

Kasab is confined to a specially-built isolated cell in the high security central prison and is guarded by a strong posse of Indo-Tibetan Border Security Force round the clock.

Altogether 30 eye witnesses have identified Kasab in the identification parade and in the court. Forensic experts have also given their opinion that the DNA of articles found from Kuber boat (in which terrorists landed in Mumbai) matched with the DNA of Kasab and five other slain terrorists.

The prosecution has also screened in the court CCTV footages of terrorists from cameras installed at Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST), Times of India Building (opposite CST), Hotel Taj and Hotel Oberoi-Trident.
Sriman
BRFite
Location: Committee for the Promotion of Vice and the Prevention of Virtue

Post by Sriman »

HBO feature 'Terror in Mumbai' is premiering in Massa on the 19th of this month.

http://www.hbo.com/docs/programs/terror ... opsis.html

http://www.hbo.com/apps/schedule/Schedu ... _ID=704114
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

The HBO documentary is the same channel 4 documentary that's been posted on BRF numerous times. Except that Fareed Zakaria does an intro for a few minutes, takes a break and explains things midway and ends with a speech.

What'll be interesting to know where Fareed Zakaria stands on this pakistani islamic terrorism issue, given that he is a muslim and was born in Mumbai.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

X post:Those people who are wondering what is the NIA, which is conducting raids in india in response to this case: Most of this info is from Wikipedia.

National Investigation Agency (NIA) is a new central agency approved by GoI to combat terror in India. This agency is empowered to deal with terror related crimes across states without special permission from the states. The National Investigation Agency Bill 2008 to create the agency was moved in Parliament by Union Home Minister on 16 December 2008

Radha Vinod Raju, Special Director General of Police in Jammu and Kashmir, is the Director General. He was previously involved in several high profile cases like the Rajiv Gandhi Assasination. He has served with the CBI in the past.

Some of its salient features are:
Some of the salient features of NIA are-
*The Bill for constitution of the National Investigation Agency (NIA) to be applicable to whole of India, citizens of India outside India and persons on ships and aircraft registered in India.
*Officers of the NIA to have all powers, privileges and liabilities which the police officers have in connection with investigation of any offence.
*The police officer in charge of a police station on receipt of the report of the offence shall forward it to the state government which in turn will send it to the Centre.
*If the Centre feels the offence is terror related, it shall direct the NIA for investigation.
*Provision for transfer of investigation and trial of offences to state government with Centre's prior approval.
*NIA may investigate other offences connected with terror-related offences.
*A state government shall extend all assistance to NIA for investigation of terror-related offences.
*Provisions of the Act with regard to investigation shall not affect powers of the state government to investigate and prosecute any terror crime or other offences.
*The Centre shall constitute special courts for trial of terror-related offences.
*Special Courts may sit at any place for any of its proceedings.
*For speedy and fair trial, the Supreme Court may transfer any case pending with the special court to another special court in the same state or any other state, and the High Court may transfer such cases to any other special court within the state.
*Offences punishable with imprisonment for less than three years may be tried summarily.
*Bill for federal agency tabled in Lok Sabha
*Special court to have all powers of the court of sessions under CrPC for trial of any offence under the Act.

{Here is where it gets interesting}
*Proceedings to be held 'in camera' if special court deems it necessary.
*Trial to be held on day-to-day basis on all working days and to have precedence over the trial of other offences.
*State governments empowered to constitute one or more special courts.
*No appeal shall be entertained after the expiry of 90 days. Highlights of Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Amendment Bill, 2008.

{Paklurkers: Here is where it gets really really interesting}
*Use of bombs, dynamite, poisons or noxious gases, biological radioactive nuclear substances are terror act.
*Aiding, abetting or committing a terrorist act shall be punishable with imprisonment up to ten years.
*Funding terror activities, organising training camps and recruiting persons for committing terror acts shall be punishable with at least five years' imprisonment.
*Detention of accused up to 180 days if investigation not completed.
*No bail shall be granted if accused is not an Indian citizen and has entered the country unauthorisedly.
*No accused, if in custody, to be released on bail or on his own bond.
*Court shall presume, unless contrary is shown, that accused has committed offence. :eek:
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

X Posted.

Global media watchdog Reporters Sans Frontières (RSF) is reporting that two Pakistani journalists who assisted in getting background information for establishing the fact, despite Pakistani denials, that Ajmal Kasab, who is currently on trial for the Mumbai terrorist attack, was a Pakistani national, have been detained for “theft and fraud”.

RSF is in no doubt that the arrest of the two Journalists has more to do with the breaking of Ajmal Kasab’s Pakistani origin than anything else:
Two journalists held after helping media probe Mumbai attacker’s background

Published on 13 November 2009

Two Pakistani journalists, Rab Nawaz Joya and Javed Kanwal Chandor, have been held since 10 November in a police station in Okara district, in the northeastern province of Punjab. Although charged with theft and fraud, they were arrested for helping Pakistani and international news media get background information about Ajmal Kasab, a participant in the November 2008 terrorist attacks in the Indian city of Mumbai ……………………

“It is intolerable that two Pakistani journalists are being treated like criminals for helping to establish the truth about the only surviving member of the Mumbai attackers commando,” Reporters Without Borders said. “This information may have been embarrassing for the Pakistani authorities, but it is unacceptable that these two reporters are being held just for doing their duty as journalists.”

The press freedom organisation added: “The absurd charges brought against them fail to conceal the real motive for their arrest. We call for them to be freed without delay and for all the charges to be dropped.” …………………..

RSF
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Pakistani Court adjourns trial until Nov. 23rd
“The proceedings were adjourned till November 23 as the Punjab bar association elections are scheduled for Saturday,” Shahbaz Rajput, one of the defence lawyers, told PTI.
I am already foreseeing the reason for another adjournment on 23rd from the above report:
Mr. Rajput said the Federal Investigation Agency had provided defence lawyers some of the documents that the accused had sought in applications filed with the anti-terrorism court.

Among these documents was the statement made to Indian authorities by Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone terrorist arrested for the Mumbai attacks.

“However, we have not received all the documents we had sought. This may apparently take some time,” Mr. Rajput said.

Sources said the accused have sought details of the charge-sheet framed against them by the FIA and other documents.
And, there are further plans to scuttle the whole trial:
There have been indications that defence lawyers plan to focus on Kasab’s role in the attacks and possibly make a request for him to be brought to Pakistan to be cross-examined in the anti-terrorism court.

Diplomatic sources said they believed such a move could delay the trial.
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

Was Bangalore original target?
The probe being carried out by the National Investigation Agency (NIA) into pre-26/11 visits of David Coleman Headley and Tahawwur Hussain Rana are throwing light on an original plan of the duo to carry out the attack in Bangalore. Based on FBI inputs, the NIA sleuths have found that the Bangalore college identity card with the lone surviving 26/11 terrorist, Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, was organised by Headley and Rana during one of their visits to the city.

The agencies have reportedly discovered that the duo visited Bangalore in early 2006, mainly to scout for targets. Headley and Rana also travelled the length and breadth of the city to procure local residential addresses as identity cover for the 26/11 terrorists, sources said.

Headley and Rana had also carried out reconnaissance of Bangalore before the July 25, 2008 serial blasts, but botched it up due to lack of systematic planning and improper distribution of resources, sources said. "They could not achieve maximum damage as they selected the wrong places. Had Headley and Rana conducted a full-time inspection of places, they could have caused more damage," said an NIA officer.

The July 2008 blasts were low-intensity explosions in eight different locations in Bangalore, which killed one woman at the bus stand opposite St John's Hospital and Medical College on Sarjapur Road.

Sources said Headley and Rana had visited Bangalore and selected the July 2008 targets, before allegedly directing Riyaz Bhatkal to supervise serial blasts attacks in the city. Sleuths are now probing into whether the failure to achieve the desired devastation in the July 2008 blasts had led the duo to plan a larger attack at a subsequent date.

However, the NIA sources said, the target for 26/11 was changed to Mumbai, probably because of the easier access to that city using a porous western coastline. NIA officials were looking for estate agents who could have helped Headley in looking for a house in Breach Candy, sources said.
nithish
BRFite

Post by nithish »

Sixty Hours of Terror: Ten Gunmen, Ten Minutes

first of a four-part series about 26/11
nithish
BRFite

Post by nithish »

nithish wrote:Sixty Hours of Terror: Ten Gunmen, Ten Minutes

part 2: Sixty Hours of Terror: "It's Do or Die"
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

The above two parts posted by nithish are from a Virginia University effort
Mr. Motlagh’s work fills in the absence of “a single, thorough accounting of what exactly had happened on those fateful days”, editor Ted Genoways writes in the introduction.
Goes back to what I posted earlier.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

India gives one more dossier

There is no announcement in Indian papers !
The Indian Ministry of External Affairs on Tuesday handed a fresh dossier on Mumbai attacks to the Pakistani high commissioner in New Delhi. The Foreign Office said in a statement that arrangements had been made for the receipt of the dossier in Islamabad which will then be forwarded to the Ministry of Interior for examination.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Couple of news reports in Pioneer about the sub-standard BP jackets issued to the ATS and a really sad news report of callousness in not providing back up support for the ATS squad.

BP vest sub-standard
Not to mention is missing.

Kavita raises serious questions

The report should have said Mrs Karkare and not by her first name. need to send an e-mail to Mr Mitra of Pioneer.
nithish
BRFite

Post by nithish »

nithish wrote:
nithish wrote:Sixty Hours of Terror: Ten Gunmen, Ten Minutes

part 2: Sixty Hours of Terror: "It's Do or Die"
part 3
Sixty Hours of Terror: "No Hostages Should Remain Alive

part 4
Sixty Hours of Terror: "By the Grace of Allah"

fantastic read IMO, especially parts 3 and 4 which detail the NSG operation (including Major Unnikrishnan's death) and include the Kasab interview/handler intercepts:
Collecting himself, Kasab described Zaki (Zaki ur Rehman Lakhvi) as a man in his forties with a black beard flecked with white, a veteran of the jihad against the Soviet Army.
amdavadi
BRFite

Post by amdavadi »

HBO showing terror in mumbai, today 8PST time.
Tamang
BRFite

Post by Tamang »

Jawans booted out of Gateway
A little more than 12 hours after TOI reported how SRPF jawans—meant to protect the Taj, which bore the brunt of the 26/11 assault on Mumbai—had been given the Gateway of India as accommodation, cops from Colaba police station moved in and threw the jawans out. Their belongings, too, were thrown onto the sidewalk and the jawans were told to spend the night on the road till alternative arrangements could be made.
Earlier story

Gateway of India's pride is cops' dorm
MUMBAI: Even as elaborate ceremonies are being planned at the Gateway of India to mark a year since the 26/11 terror attacks, Mumbai's signature A year after 26/11, this is the state of Mumbai's iconic monument. It's home to a platoon of 30 State Reserve Police Force jawans who have been entrusted with the job of guarding the nearby Taj Mahal hotel.

landmark has become an unlikely dormitory for policemen who have been assigned to guard the Taj Mahal Palace and Tower.

Bereft of proper boarding and lodging arrangements, an entire platoon of 30 jawans from the State Reserve Police Force (SRPF) has been living inside the heritage monument. They were assigned the spot by the Colaba police, which governs the jurisdiction of the Taj.

The jawans make up the team that mans four bunkers inside the hotel. Forced to adapt the monument for use as living quarters, they have covered the arches with plastic sheets to keep out the rain and have driven nails into the walls to hang clotheslines. Uniforms, boxer shorts and vests are strung along one wall, framed by a black plastic curtain that covers an arch.

Tourists have yet to be allowed inside the structure even though the Rs 1.9- crore restoration work on the heritage structure has been completed. But as tourists circle the monument, some of them cock a snook at the array of travel bags, plastic bottles, linen and footwear strewn around on the floor. "We do know that it looks messy but we have only one van to call ours, which we use for changing our clothes and travelling,'' said one of the jawans. "If they jeer at us we ask them to refer the matter to our superiors.''
Mera Bharat Mahaan! Why can't the hotels be asked to provide accomodation for the Jawans? If they don't then withdraw the Jawans.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Saw the HBO series Terror in Mumbai.

It has an intro and an epilogue by Fareed Zakaria.
He says that his mom still lives in mumbai and has a shop at the Taj, his sister has an office at the oberoi trident. He began calling them up the moment he heard it on TV.

There are some new shots in there, some new info that was not in the channel 4 documentary
* 95% of this is THE Channel 4 documentary, the only difference being FZ doing the voice over instead of the channel 4 guy.
* There are a few clips added to this documentary.
* The new info in this documentary compared from the channel 4 documentary is:
1. Indian intel guys provided the pakistani terrorists with ~ 30 + sim cards earlier that year. It turned out that 3 of these cards were being used by these terrorists.
2. Once the IP address was located from the VOIP calls, all the calls were tracked. Some 28 calls were recorded.
3. Kasab's interview is in much more detail. He is asked if this is Jihad, and he can't answer. The police chief's interview he alludes to the fact that these terrorists had been told that after shahadat their bodies will shine and a scent would emanate form their bodies. Kasab was shown the bodies of his fellow terrorists and he was dumbfounded.
4. Kasab says that he knew only one guy who was from lahore, the masters had forbidden any talking amongst themselves.
5. There is much more open reference to Pakistan, LET, etc.

The clincher is the epilogue by FZ, where he states "The LET was set up by the pakistani army (Not even the intelligence services!) to combat india in kashmir, but just like Al qaida, LET had its beginnings for a specific cause, both have become pan-islamic with global agendas.
He says that the generals in pakistan don't realize how dangerous these groups are for their own country.

Then he does an = = by saying that the whole concept of terrorism revolves around a handful of terror masters and handlers, and poor uneducated and unemployed villager youth who get brainwashed. The solution he proposes is to take out the terror handlers and uplift the unemployed villagers by education and employment generation.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Tamang wrote:Jawans booted out of Gateway
A little more than 12 hours after TOI reported how SRPF jawans—meant to protect the Taj, which bore the brunt of the 26/11 assault on Mumbai—had been given the Gateway of India as accommodation, cops from Colaba police station moved in and threw the jawans out. Their belongings, too, were thrown onto the sidewalk and the jawans were told to spend the night on the road till alternative arrangements could be made.
I really feel very sorry for the jawans thrown on the road. It simply adds insult to injury and shows how some Indians in positions of power are simply insensitive. The very dignity of these jawans has been attacked by the state by first not providing them a decent place to stay, then asking them to use public places and monuments, and finally even throwing them out callously when exposed. The commanding officer of these jawans should be held accountable.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

There is a translation error in the documentary.

The terrorist handler says.
Allah tey sattar twadha intezaar kar rahiyaan ne
"Allah and the 70 are waiting for you."

While the translation both on channel 4 and HBO reads
Allah is waiting for you.
BTW, are we sure that there are 72 virgins promised? Both the LET poem and a few interviews of terrorists I've seen seem to suggest 70.

This has grave implications that needs further analysis on the BENIS dhaga.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

http://news.rediff.com/report/2009/nov/ ... gafoor.htm
"Yes, there was dearth of eagerness on the part of a handful of senior officers to be on the ground during those days," said Gafoor, replying to a question if he noticed a bit of unwillingness among the senior officers.
Gafoor said "yes there was, indeed. On November 28, I attended a meeting with the DGP and Home Minister. I was told to withdraw the NSG and instead use the Mumbai police for the ongoing operations. "The DGP told me that the entire world was watching us and so we should put an immediate end to the siege and help defuse the crisis. This sounded ridiculous, as the NSG is an elite force that can tackle such crisis situation. I said it was even preposterous to even think of taking off the NSG," Gafoor said.
Wow, if true. If not NSG, who did the Home Minister think would handle the situation?

Is Home Minister = Dandy Shivraj Patil or the other R. R. Patil?
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Headley revelations may embarrass Mumbai police
Home Minister Palaniappan Chidambaram is displeased with the Mumbai police's investigation skills, according to a senior source in the Union home ministry.

The ministry believes the newly-formed National Investigation Agency will have to re-investigate the 26/11 case if the David Headley-Tahawwur Rana probe produces unexpected links with the Mumbai terror attacks. This will be a serious matter and hit the Mumbai police's credibility.

In a brief chat, top sources in the Union home ministry told rediff.com that "So far the home ministry has not claimed that Headley and Rana are linked to the Mumbai attacks. Also, we have never said that videos or maps have been found connecting Headley to the Mumbai plot."