Mumbai Terrorist Attack-News stories and timeline

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Re: Mumbai Terrorist Attack-News stories and timeline

Post by SSridhar »

Pakistani court hears argument in 26/11 case
A Pakistani court heard arguments on Monday by defence and prosecution lawyers about the quality and legal admissibility of some of the evidence as the Mumbai attacks case slowly proceeds towards an indictment of the seven suspects.

The in camera hearing was adjourned to November 25.

According to a source with knowledge of the proceedings, judge Malik Mohammed Akram Awan told both sides that he would pass an order at the next hearing.

If the defence arguments are rejected, the court will proceed immediately to the indictment, that is, the formal framing of the charges against the seven suspects.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

The wheels of 'justice' will grind for the next few days with the PM in washington and the 1st anniversary of 26/11.
But as with all things in Pakistan, this too shall come to an end.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Gagan wrote:The wheels of 'justice' will grind for the next few days with the PM in washington and the 1st anniversary of 26/11.
But as with all things in Pakistan, this too shall come to an end.
And, that will give me an opportunity to update this post
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Video clip query: Could someone please listen carefully and repeatedly to translate what the shot terrorist says towards the end - "Mujhe fire lag gayi toh aakhri ....??"

Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

mujhe fire lag gayi hai to akhri hafiz sikhale (which can't be right, but upto hafiz sounds right)
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Eh, didnt Kavita Karkare a few months ago say that Kasab should not be hanged? What caused the change ?
Avinash R
BRFite

Post by Avinash R »

^No, even then she wanted kasab to be given capital punishment.

Hang Kasab publicly, says slain ATS chief's wife
TimePublished on Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 03:04
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/hang-kasab-p ... 699-3.html

Mumbai: The wife of slain ATS chief Hemant Karkare, Kavita Karkare has appealed that Mohammad Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone surviving Pakistani terrorist from the 26/11 attacks be now hanged publicly.
AjayKK
BRFite

Post by AjayKK »

Discovery Channel presents " Surviving Mumbai "

Discovery Channel’s special programme SURVIVING MUMBAI chronicles the events of the attack, featuring personal accounts from people who were caught in the siege. Excerpts from the actual transcripts of the phone conversations between the gunmen and their commanders together with CCTV footage from the hotels give a chilling account of the real story. SURVIVING MUMBAI premieres on Discovery Channel on Thursday, November 26 at 8 PM, with a repeat at 9 PM.
Requesting folks who receive the channel to please record and upload it.

One year later, no attempt by the Indian media to produce a film or the official sides to produce a document which details all the facts.

A new news magzine 'open" which does appear to be neutral and not p-sec has the current issue on 26/11

The web edition of the magazine in Flash : http://www.openthemagazine.com/emag/2009-11-21 or http://issuu.com/openmag/docs/final_pdf_for_web27-11-09

The cover story starts from Page 16.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

JK Dutt has also said that the attacks could not have occured without some loacal support. Somthing which was said by one N Modi nearly a year ago and pooh-poohed by P-sec worthies.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

In other news KPS Gill says that it was Mumbai Police that should have led the attack instead of NSG, though he agrees that they were incapable of doing so. This is more of a wishful thinking than castigation.

I am still shocked that Gafoor was being told that he should have the NSG withdrawn.
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

Folks, I was reading Gideons Spies by Gordon Thomas. He mentions that there was a PLO attempt in the 80's to take a container ship from Tunis, loaded with terrorists with small boats(dinghies) similar to those used by 26/11 terrorists to Tel Aviv. As the ship passed Israeli waters, they would use the small boats and get into Tel Aviv and launch attacks in small numbers in different parts of the cities. Sound familiar?

But in this case, the harbor master who was a Mossad agent, had informed the Mossad that there was a suspicious vessel(i think he spotted it by luck). And after verification (which involved a Mossad Sayan and his female relatives sunbathe as the ship passed their boat, the boat had a camera on board and of course the terrorists all came out to check out the girls sunbathing. Camera got the footage of the terrorists waving, which was analysed at Mossad HQ within a few hours and confirmation that there were terrorists on board as some were known faces... The PM at the time decided to launch a naval strike on the ship at dawn and sank it in the med somewhere, few of the terrorists were captured, rest went down with the ship and crew). This wasn't reported in the media.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Tanaji

on the other hand Rebiero has come out in support of the others Gafoor has made allegations.
so who knows.

all are desperately trying to cover their incompetence
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

One other report I read says that the "Home Minister" that Gafoor referred to was R. R. Patil who recommended NSG be withdrawn... earlier report I quoted did not clarify whether it was R R Patil or the other herrow Shivraj Patil
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

all are inglorious :(

Tanaji - you in Mumbai ??

me in mumbai - linked up with Kaps

would be great if you are here by any chance
Patni
BRFite

Post by Patni »

Court rejects plea to make Headley, two men 26/11 conspirators
Updated on Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 21:18 IST
Mumbai: The special court conducting trial into the 26/11 attack on Tuesday rejected an application by accused Sabauddin Ahmed, who prayed for a direction to make terror suspect David Headley and two persons held in Italy on charges of funding terror acts as conspirators in the case.
The court rejected the application on the ground that Mumbai Crime Branch had not filed any FIR against the duo and hence it had no jurisdiction to try the persons held in Italy.

The application said FBI agents had deposed in 26/11 case regarding payment of USD 229 to Callfonex by Javed Iqbal via Western Union Money Transfer's agent named Madina Trading of Brescia, Italy, for using VOIP facility to enable telephone talks between terrorists and Pakistani handlers.

Javed Iqbal was a fictitious name and the payment to fund 26/11 terror acts were made by the two persons arrested in Italy, Sabauddin's lawyer Ejaz Naqvi argued.

In another development, key accused Ajmal Kasab did not come to the court as he was unwell, sources said.

PTI
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Surya wrote:all are inglorious :(

Tanaji - you in Mumbai ??

me in mumbai - linked up with Kaps

would be great if you are here by any chance
If you are in Mumbai during 27th Nov., if possible take some time out and visit the Palm Lounge at Taj and pay your respects just inside the main door area - 1 year ago Maj. Unnikrishnan laid down his life there.
dipak
BRFite

Post by dipak »

shiv wrote:Video clip query: Could someone please listen carefully and repeatedly to translate what the shot terrorist says towards the end - "Mujhe fire lag gayi toh aakhri ....??"

Shiv - its, "mujhe fire lag gaye hein, dua karein - aakhri salam lein"
Subin
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Subin »

shyamd wrote:Folks, I was reading Gideons Spies by Gordon Thomas. He mentions that there was a PLO attempt in the 80's to take a container ship from Tunis, loaded with terrorists with small boats(dinghies) similar to those used by 26/11 terrorists to Tel Aviv. As the ship passed Israeli waters, they would use the small boats and get into Tel Aviv and launch attacks in small numbers in different parts of the cities. Sound familiar?
Sounds like it was inspired by this 1979 sea-based attack from Lebanon on Israel. Did LeT also draw similar inspiration?

1979 Nahariya attack
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

Subin wrote:
shyamd wrote:Folks, I was reading Gideons Spies by Gordon Thomas. He mentions that there was a PLO attempt in the 80's to take a container ship from Tunis, loaded with terrorists with small boats(dinghies) similar to those used by 26/11 terrorists to Tel Aviv. As the ship passed Israeli waters, they would use the small boats and get into Tel Aviv and launch attacks in small numbers in different parts of the cities. Sound familiar?
Sounds like it was inspired by this 1979 sea-based attack from Lebanon on Israel. Did LeT also draw similar inspiration?

1979 Nahariya attack
Israeli beaches usually have armed patrols, foot and jeeps with MMG's and HMG's. the beaches are considered a soft target - especially since gaza beaches are just a short ride away
shyamd
BRF Oldie

Post by shyamd »

Retired Major held for links with Headley
Nirupama Subramanian

ISLAMABAD: The Pakistan Army confirmed on Tuesday that a retired Major has been detained for suspected links with David Headley and Tahawwur Hussain Rana, arrested last month in the United States for plotting a terror attack in Denmark.

Denying a report that serving officers were picked up in connection with the case that was being probed by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Major-General Athar Abbas, the military spokesman, said only one retired Major was picked two months ago and was now being questioned by intelligence agencies.

The retired Major was picked up after he was found to be in communication with the duo, the military spokesman said.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Subin wrote: Sounds like it was inspired by this 1979 sea-based attack from Lebanon on Israel. Did LeT also draw similar inspiration?

1979 Nahariya attack
Actually the closest approximation seems to be the 1973 attack led by Ehud Barak into Lebanon except in that case the terrorists were at the receiving end!
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

dipak wrote: Shiv - its, "mujhe fire lag gaye hein, dua karein - aakhri salam lein"
Thanks - this sounds like it. The man is mortally wounded and in pain.

I have been thinking of making a vide clip of only the phone conversation between Mumbai terrorist and their handlers to specifically highlight the occasions when they say "Inshallah", "Alhamdillah"(?), Bismillah and other references to Allah and his rewards specifically to make the point that even if Pakistan disowns responsibility for the terrorists, the terrorists are clearly Islamic. In other words the actions of the terrorists should smear Pakistan even if they disown them, They will either have to disown Islam or claim the recordings are fake.

But I may not be able to do it before the anniversary tomorrow.

The important thing here is not to allow Pakistan to get away as they got away with the genocide in Bangladesh.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Raja

will go a different day.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

The beaches do not bristle with weapons -

ok they do - but they are different weapons :mrgreen:

I spent many a time on Nahariya beach - its beautiful - (hate the granular sand its way too pebbly for my liking)

There are other means to protect the beach which one can "observe" if they know where to look for.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Knights on wheels
Fifty-nine-year-old Mr Jasbir Singh has seen wars in the 37 years he has been with the Navy. And yet, “the most horrifying moment” in this ex-serviceman’s life came while dealing with civilians.

At the Taj Mahal hotel along with nine other Topsline ambulances, Mr Singh, a team incharge, did not know what was in store when he accompanied the police to the top floor of the Taj. Along with fellow-workers, he had to bring out the bodies of a family of three, later identified as Taj executive Karambir Singh Kang’s family. “It was the most horrifying moment of our life,” he repeats, describing their condition. But like a soldier, one has to go forward and not look back, he says.
As the National Security Guards rescued hostages and tracked down gunmen in the hotel, Mr Singh and his colleagues had to go in several times, facing “close calls” themselves, in the midst of gun-fire and exploding grenades. But they continued to evacuate hostages and carry out the bodies from different floors, he recounts.
Another in-charge with Topsline, Mr Baburao Wankhede, was involved with taking the slain NSG Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan from the third floor of the old Taj. Though Major Unnikrishnan had passed away, his body was still warm, MR Wankede recalls, with remorse.

An ex-army man for 25 years, Mr Wankhede says he personally brought down several bodies from the third, fourth and fifth floors. The place was reeking with the smell of burnt things, smoke and bodies on the floor, he recollects.

Topsline’s Mr Om Vir Singh, was stationed close to Nariman House, where the Israeli Rabbi and his family and guests were held hostage and later killed by two gun-men. Besides helping out the injured, and carrying out the dead, “we also supplied security forces with ropes, hammers and other additional equipment they required,” he says. An ex-serviceman, Mr Om Vir’s son is with the Army, and posted at Siachen, he says, with pride.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Today, the judge in the ATC at Adiala has to announce whether the evidences (especially provided by India like Kasab's confessions, telephone taps and others and the FBI) will be admissible or not.
AjayKK
BRFite

Post by AjayKK »

The Week magazine had a 26/11 issue. some stories.

'Somebody is hiding something' - K. UNNIKRISHNAN
NTERVIEW/K. UNNIKRISHNAN, FATHER OF 26/11 MARTYR SANDEEP UNNIKRISHNAN

By Mini P. Thomas

Even if I’m not there, there will be children all around you to love you,’’ Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan used to tell his mother, Dhanalakshmi. True, in a way—Sandeep’s heroism during the Mumbai attack has got his parents the love of many people.
But a year after the National Security Guard commando died fighting terrorists at the Taj hotel, his father, K. Unnikrishnan, is filled with grief and anger. A retired ISRO officer, Unnikrishnan went to the Ganga Ghats along with his wife on November 17 for the after-death rituals of their son. Next week, they will head to the Taj hotel in Mumbai. Excerpts from an interview with him:

How has your life been after the Mumbai attack?

We can never be back to normal life. It seems it all happened yesterday. Every night, we get up and cry. I wish I died soon. Sometimes I even think of putting an end to my life.

How do you look upon the tragedy?

Nobody knows what really happened on 26/11. The chief minister in Maharashtra has no idea about it. It is ridiculous to say that 10 men started firing into a crowd at CST. Our investigations have always been derailed. I have lost faith in these reports. The National Security Guard also knows it is all farce. The culprit is there before us. There is proof for the carnage of 53 people. Why does the punishment get delayed? He should be hanged.

What about media reports on Ajmal Kasab’s trial?

I’m not at all concerned about that.

What does your instinct tell you about the incident?

There are certain points which these reports either conceal or simply ignore. If I take them up, there may be shocking revelations. It was on 27th that Sandeep died. His body must have lain there for at least five hours. When the body was taken, it was in two pieces with a deep cut on the hip. That could be the reason why I was asked not to open the coffin. I suspect somebody is hiding something.

Why was Sandeep’s body left unattended for such a long time? Where did the cut come from?

It all seems mysterious. The postmortem report says my son died due to shock and haemorrhage, which means the death was not all of a sudden. He was bleeding to death.

Do you regret the issues you had with Kerala Chief Minister V.S. Achuthanandan and Home Minister Kodiyeri Balakrishnan?

Why should I? I didn’t abuse the CM. I must have sounded a little harsh while talking to somebody from the NSG. But it was all misinterpreted. V.S. called me on the night of the cremation and said he would be going for the Polit Bureau meeting after which he would try to come if he got time or send Kodiyeri. I thought why should he come. I didn’t want him to take away the credit with such a visit.
So I clearly told him not to come. Yet he came. I just couldn’t stand it when somebody entered my house without my permission. They could have asked me whether it was out of grief that I spoke like that. That could have given me more consolation. The issue was hyped by the media. That could be why I was never invited officially for any function in Kerala. Even if I’m invited now, I won’t go.

Is the NSG being misused?

Yes, very much. Z category protection for [ex-home minister] Shivraj Patil and Y category for his kith and kin… I read the other day. We all know what kind of a person he is. I can’t understand what threat is there to his life. One thing I can tell you, the NSG is not for the common man.

The compensation package?

Seventy per cent of Sandeep’s salary is being given as compensation. The Ashoka Chakra cash award was also given, though a bit late.

What did you say when Sandeep decided to join the Army?

I tried my best to talk him out of that. But he was strong-willed. Neither the diesel, recruitment or uniform scams nor the threat to life prevented him from going ahead. He was a real patriot who was ready to serve the country even if he were not given salary or promotion. He was not a Bhagat Singh. But he did his job well.
AjayKK
BRFite

Post by AjayKK »

Saving Mumbai - ''NSG was ready even before it was called'' - By J.K. Dutt

''Some senior officers refused to take on the terrorists'' - Hasan Gafoor
Former Mumbai police commissioner Hasan Gafoor was skinned alive by the media for his handling of the Mumbai Police during the 26/11 attack. The Ram Pradhan Committee, which probed the response to the attack, came down heavily on the soft-spoken Gafoor, who is now director-general of police (housing). The committee found that he had failed to adequately exercise 'commands and controls' during those crucial hours. The government shunted him out soon after the findings of the committee became public.

“With the advantage of hindsight it is easy to point fingers,” Gafoor told THE WEEK in the course of a two-hour-long interview at his Worli office. He claimed that his men were more than up to the mark in those initial moments of the terror attack. “What matters is we stood up, we sacrificed. We gave out our best and we succeeded,” he said. That’s not the entire story told. As Gafoor himself says in the interview, some officers either refused or did not care to respond to the call of duty when terror struck. Additional Commissioner of Police (Anti-Terrorism Squad) Parambir Singh, Additional Commissioner of Police (south region) K. Venkatesham, Additional Commissioner of Police [crime] Deven Bharti and Joint Commissioner of Police [law and order] K.L. Prasad either dithered on rushing to the sites, or chose to be away from action.
Interview at the link
AjayKK
BRFite

Post by AjayKK »

Elusive relief -No solace: Only 118 of the 403 26/11 cases got due compensation
THE WEEK’s investigation reveals govt's poor track record in providing compensation

As a knee-jerk response to the scale of the attack in Mumbai last year, government agencies went to town promising handsome compensation packages. A year down the line, unsurprisingly, we notice that the promised relief is not just inadequate, but mired in so much red-tape that what was supposed to be a gesture of help has only added to the problems of the survivors.
Compensation, a poor state of affairs.

State of two minds

Posting in full as url may not be archived
Was India not stern enough with Pakistan after Mumbai attack?

By Syed Nazakat

T he capture of 26/11 terrorist Ajmal Kasab gave Pakistan away. His interrogation led the terror trail deep into Pakistan. The Mumbai Police’s 11,509-page charge-sheet revealed the hand of high-ranking Pakistani military personnel and the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Toiba in the attack. Shocked, Delhi pulled the plug on the slow-moving peace process.

Clearly, India has yet to see a strategic shift in Pakistan’s approach to terrorism. “What we want is to bring the perpetrators to India for justice. What we have seen during the last one year are denials, and confusing and contradictory statements,” says Brigadier (retd) Gurmeet Kanwal, director, Centre for Land Warfare Studies, Delhi.

India has given six dossiers to Pakistan with details of the terror suspects, including Kasab’s DNA samples, pictures of grenades and guns recovered from the attackers, and details of the conversation among the terrorists during the three-day siege, when the 10 gunmen made 284 calls, running into 995 minutes, on their mobile phones. The dossier says the attackers were contacted from a virtual number, 12012531824, generated by a Voice Over Internet Protocol service based in the US and paid for by Javaid Iqbal, whose identity proof is a Pakistani passport.

Some action was seen on Pakistan’s part. Its security forces raided an LeT camp near Muzaffarabad and arrested LeT commanders Zaki-ur Rehman Lakhvi and Zarar Shah. Pakistan interior minister Rehman Malik admitted the conspiracy originated on its soil. But contradictory statements from Pakistan followed. It refused to accept Kasab as its citizen, though his father identified him in an interview with Pakistani newspaper Dawn. Instead of investigating the leads given by India, Islamabad found loopholes in India’s probe and tried to project that non-state elements with which the Pakistan intelligence agency had no connections were behind attacks. Officially, Pakistan has closed the investigation.

India does not believe that the recruitment, planning and training for 26/11 were carried out by the LeT without the ISI’s knowledge. Pakistan’s inability, or unwillingness, to prosecute Hafiz Saeed—one of 38 people said to be behind the attacks—raised doubts about its commitment. “We have given them evidence that would stand in any court of law,” said Home Secretary G.K. Pillai. “All of Pakistan’s previous questions about the investigation have been answered, and there is enough evidence for Pakistan to prosecute Hafiz Saeed.”

Founder of the LeT and head of its charity front Jamaat-ud-Dawa, Saeed was put under house arrest in December 2008, but released in June citing lack of evidence. Though Pakistan had banned the LeT in 2002, home ministry officials say it has morphed and spread with ISI help.

Ajit Doval, former chief of the Intelligence Bureau, says there are several factions in the ISI, and that one group sympathises with al Qaeda. “Unlike Taliban fighters who have been forced to retreat to the mountains in west Pakistan’s tribal areas, LeT commanders have been able to operate more or less in the open,” says Doval. “That is not possible without support from the [Pakistani] establishment.”

How then should India deal with Pakistan? “There are two options—either you continue to back your policy of diplomatic pressure or you brace up for military confrontation,” says Air Vice Marshal (retd) Kapil Kak. He says one way of dealing with Pakistan’s powerful military institution is “develop specific defence capabilities to show that you can inflict damage if they carry out any attack in future.”

Experts say India’s tough talk has not made Pakistan own up responsibility or hand over the terror suspects. Some feel the game is going in Pakistan’s favour. “Post-26/11, we have not even recalled our High Commissioner from Pakistan, leave aside taking military action,” says Major General (retd) G.D. Bakshi. He says there were economic, political and diplomatic options short of war.

Experts also say that a war with Pakistan would have helped the agenda of the terrorists without achieving much progress in countering terrorism. “Without going to war, India has managed to push Pakistan to a corner and there is a general consensus around the world that Pakistan is an epicentre of trouble and terrorism. That is a big achievement :roll: ,” says Prof. Amitabh Mattoo of International Studies at Jawaharlal Nehru University.

The onus is on Pakistan to help bring 26/11 suspects to book. A yardstick for India to evaluate Pakistan’s sincerity is to see if it helps prevent any attack from its territory in future.
The only hope for future victims and their kith and kin is the statement made by the home Min. P Chidambaram, Hopefully he was serious while making it.
dipak
BRFite

Post by dipak »

shiv wrote: But I may not be able to do it before the anniversary tomorrow.
If you are overburdened and the time-line is to be met - please let me know if I can be of any help in this regard.
The video clip idea (with transcript of conversation, terrorist-handler only) seems good.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

dipak wrote:
shiv wrote: But I may not be able to do it before the anniversary tomorrow.
If you are overburdened and the time-line is to be met - please let me know if I can be of any help in this regard.
The video clip idea (with transcript of conversation, terrorist-handler only) seems good.
Thanks. My experience from YouTube tells me that even if I can't meet tomorrows deadline the video will remain on and will get a spurt of hits by next years anniversary. But I want to do a thorough hard hitting job and that is actually going to take weeks. But I will still need help with some translations - the language spoken by the terrorists and handlers is not totally clear and there appears to be some Punjabi mixed in once in a while apart from some Urdu words I can't get. Will ask you but perhaps it might be a good idea if you downloaded that channel 4 video and saved it on your HDD so I can ask for translation from some specific timeline. Usually it is snatches of conversation lasting a few seconds.

The idea is to clearly show that even if Pakistan denies that these terrorist are Pakis, their Islamic identity is clear as is their language. Pakistan has continuously hidden behind Islam so that Pakistan is exempt from criticism as long as something is done in the name of Islam.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Pak court indicts all 7
A Pakistani anti-terrorism court on Wednesday indicted seven accused, including LeT operations commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, in connection with the Mumbai attacks.

The court rejected bail pleas of the accused, and declared 16 people, including Ajmal Kasab, as proclaimed offenders.

All those in the dock pleaded not guilty, a defence lawyer said.

Pakistan has been holding seven suspects in connection with the November 26-29 siege in Mumbai including the alleged mastermind Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi and alleged key Lashkar-e-Taiba operative Zarar Shah.

"All seven of them have been indicted, including Lakhvi. The accused pleaded not guilty as evidence is not supported by the charges :rotfl: ," lawyer Shahbaz Rajput said over telephone.

"They have been indicted under the anti-terrorism act and the Pakistani penal code," said Rajput, without elaborating.
This means that the judge has accepted the legality and the admissibility of the evidence. Let's see how this plays out.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/no ... ai-attacks
Pakistan charges seven over Mumbai attacksMen accused of planning and helping carry out raid on India's financial centre that killed 166 people

Associated Press in Islamabad
guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 25 November 2009
Indian railway police rehearse for first anniversary commemorations of the Mumbai terror attacks. Photograph: EPA

Pakistani prosecutors have charged seven men with planning and helping execute last year's Mumbai terror attacks.

Tomorrow is the first anniversary of the attacks on India's financial centre, which killed 166 people. The men, allegedly belonging to the Lashkar-e-Taiba militant group, could face the death penalty if convicted.

All seven suspects in the case pleaded not guilty, a defence lawyer, Hammad Amin Siddiqui, and a prosecutor, Malik Rab Nawaz, told the Associated Press by telephone.

The trial is a test of Pakistan's vow to punish those responsible for the attacks on 26 to 28 November 2008 on hotels, a train station and other targets.

Proceedings are taking place behind closed doors at a maximum security prison not far from the capital, Islamabad.

Lawyers for the suspects have said they are unable to disclose any details of the charges against the men, who have appeared in court for pre-indictment hearings in the past few months.

Two of the defendants, Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi and Zarrar Shah, have been publicly accused by India of masterminding the attacks.

India, the US and other countries are closely watching Pakistan's efforts to punish the suspects. In the past, Islamabad has failed to punish militants suspected of attacks on targets in India, with which it has fought three wars since independence from Britain in 1947.

Pakistan's intelligence agencies are known to have funded and trained Islamist militants to use as proxies against the much larger Indian army in the disputed region of Kashmir. The Pakistani government says it no longer does this, but many Pakistanis remain sympathetic to the militants' aims.
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

Ananya
BRFite

Post by Ananya »

there it goes.

Counsel seek Ajmal Kasab’s extradition

http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect/daw ... tion-rs-02
dipak
BRFite

Post by dipak »

shiv wrote:Will ask you but perhaps it might be a good idea if you downloaded that channel 4 video and saved it on your HDD so I can ask for translation from some specific timeline. Usually it is snatches of conversation lasting a few seconds.
I have downloaded the Channel 4 documentary on my HDD. Please let me know the specific parts of it you need me to translate.
Thanks.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

SSridhar wrote:Pak court indicts all 7

This means that the judge has accepted the legality and the admissibility of the evidence. Let's see how this plays out.
Might be because of one of three reasons

1. Usual Paki tactic of producing ALQ no 3 or charging some, before international meetings of significance -- like mushy meeting Bush or MMS meeting Ombaba
2. Ombaba put pressure on them citing K-L bill, to mollify MMS before visit
3. The David/Dawood case took an ugly turn and there is risk of bigger fish getting caught, so throw the smaller fry under the bus.